, or vines
rarely herbs. Leaves opposite, alternate, or whorled
or pinnately compound
, rarely palmately compound
, without stipules, climbers usually with tendrils
modified sometimes into hooks or suckers
. Inflorescences cymose
, or racemose, terminal
, rarely flowers borne on old stems; bracts and bractlets
present, sometimes deciduous. Flowers bisexual
, zygomorphic, usually large. Calyx campanulate
, 2-5-dentate, or glandular
subulate-dentate. Corolla campanulate or funnelform
, usually bilabiate; lobes
5, imbricate or valvate
stamens 4 (didynamous
) and staminode 1, or 2 and staminodes 3, rarely all 5 stamens fertile. Disc fleshy
. Ovary superior, 2-locular, rarely 1- or 4-locular; placentation axile
; ovules numerous
. Style filiform
; stigma 2-lobed. Capsule dehiscing loculicidally or septicidally, rarely fruit fleshy and indehiscent. Seeds numerous, usually winged
or with tufts of hairs
at both ends; endosperm absent.
About 116-120 genera and 650-750 species: mostly in tropical and subtropical regions; 12 genera and 35 species (21 endemic) in China.
Plants of the Bignoniaceae usually produce large flowers, and many species are widely cultivated in China as ornamentals . These include Arrabidaea magnifica Sprague ex Steenis, Campsis radicans (Linnaeus) Seemann, Catalpa speciosa (Warder ex Barney) Engelmann, Clytostoma callistegioides (Chamisso) Bureau & Schumann, Crescentia alata Kunth, C. cujete Linnaeus, Jacaranda cuspidifolia Martius, J. mimosifolia D. Don, Kigelia africana (Lamarck) Bentham, Macfadyena unguis-cati (Linnaeus) A. H. Gentry, Pandorea jasminoides (Linnaeus) Schumann, Parmetiera cerifera Seemann, Podranea ricasoliana (Tanfani) Sprague, Pyrostegia venusta (Ker-Gawler) Miers, Spathodea campanulata Beauvois, Stenolobium stans (Linnaeus) Seemann, Tabebuia chrysantha (Jacquin) G. Nicholson, T. rosea (Bertoloni) de Candolle, and Tecomaria capensis (Thunberg) Spach.
deciduous. Leaves simple
, purple glandular
axils abaxially. Inflorescences paniculate
, or racemose, terminal
. Calyx bilabiate or irregularly divided
in buds. Corolla campanulate
, bilabiate, upper lip 2-lobed, lower lip 3-lobed. Fertile
stamens 2, included
of corolla tube
; staminodes 3. Disc conspicuous
. Ovary 2-locular; ovules several. Capsule dehiscing loculicidally, long terete
thin; septum slender, terete. Seeds in several rows
, thin membranous, with hair tufts at both ends.
About 13 species: N America and E Asia; four species in China.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Publishing author : Sudw. Publication : Gard. & Forest ii. (1891) 166
Members of the genus Catalpa
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 12 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
C. bignonioides (Catawba) · C. bignonioides 'Aurea' (Golden Catalpa) · C. bignonioides 'Nana' (Dwarf Southern Catalpa) · C. bungei (Beijing Catalpa) · C. fargesii (Farges Catalpa) · C. longissima (Haitian Catalpa) · C. ovata (Chinese Catalpa) · C. punctata (Cuban Catalpa) · C. speciosa (Catalpa) · C. tibetica (Tibetan Catalpa) · C. × erubescens (Cultivated Catalpa) · C. x erubescens 'Purpurea' (Purple Catalpa)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- American forest trees, by Henry H. Gibson; ed. by Hu Maxwell. Chicago, Hardwood record, 1913. url , p. 11, p. 475, p. 475, p. 477, p. 477.
- American forest trees; edited by Hu Maxwell. ChicagoHardwood Record1913 url , p. 475, p. 477.
- Animal and plant life in Oklahoma, Norman, 1917. url .
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 144.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 695.
- Annual report of the New York Zoological Society. New York: The Society, 1897- url p. 44, p. 44.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 176, p. 362, p. 362.
- Bird-lore. New York, National Association of Audubon Societies. url p. 6, p. 6, p. 96, p. 96.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 144, p. 291.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 214.
- Bulletin / Ontario Department of Agriculture. Toronto: The Dept., [1905- url p. 3, p. 6.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 605.
- Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History. New YorkAmerican Museum of Natural History1881- url p. 307, p. 467.
- Bulletin of the Charleston Museum. [Charleston, S.C.: the Museum], 1907-1922. url , p. 42.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url p. 205, p. 205, p. 210, p. 210.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 42 1915 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 342.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 45.
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants, arranged according to the phyletic classification; with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Univ Columbus, The Ohio State University, 1914. url .
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants: arranged according to the phyletic classification: with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Uni by John H. Schaffner. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 214.
- Check list of the forest trees of the United States: their names and ranges / by George B. Sudworth. Washington, D.C.: Dept. of Agriculture, Forestry Division, 1898. url p. 109, p. 114, p. 129.
- Children's gardens for school and home: a manual of cooperative gardening / by Louise Klein Miller. New York: Appleton, 1904. url p. 136, p. 136, p. 222, p. 222.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 6 1901 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 246, p. 253, p. 541, p. 61, p. 732, p. 835.
- Course on care of trees, by G.H. Allen. .. Boston, Mass., Naturebureau[c1908] url p. 21.
- Entomological news, and proceedings of the Entomological Section of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia[Entomological Rooms of the Academy of Natural Sciences] url , p. 280.
- Entomology [Miscellaneous publications] Washington, [etc., etc.]1888-1910. url .
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 41, p. 549.
- Facts relating to the history of Groton, Massachusetts, by Samuel Abbott Green. .. [Cambridge, J. Wilson and Son]1912-14. url p. 24.
- Farmers' bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture. Washington: G.P.O., 1889- url .
- Field manual of trees; including southern Canada and the northern United States to the southern boundary of Virginia, Kentucky and Missouri, westward to the limits of the prairie, by John H. Schaffner. Columbus, Ohio, R. G. Adams, 1922. url p. 125.
- Flora of West Virginia, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh and Lawrence William Nuttall. 1 1896 Chicago, 1896. url p. 227.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 8.
- Forest leaves. Philadelphia: Pennsylvania Forestry Association, 1886-1950. url .
- Forestry in Minnesota. [2d ed.] Published by the Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. St. Paul, Minn.Pioneer Press Co.1902 url p. 377.
- Forestry lessons on home woodlands / by Wilbur R. Mattoon and Alvin Dille. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, 1920. url p. 45.
- Forestry quarterly. Ithaca N.Y. [etc.] url p. 530.
- Gleanings in bee culture. Medina, Ohio, A. I. Root Co. url p. 414.
- Guide to the trees and shrubs of Minnesota, MinneapolisUniversity of Minnesota1910 url p. 22.
- Guidebook for the identification of woods used for ties and timbers, by Arthur Koehler, expert in wood identification, Forest products laboratory, Madison, Wisconsin. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1917. url , p. 45.
- Hardwood record. Chicago: Hardwood Co., 1902-1939. url p. 574.
- IX, tab. CCL
- Identification of the economic woods of the United States, including a discussion of the structural and physical properties of wood, New York, John Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1919. url , , p. 52, p. 92.
- Iowa year book of agriculture. [Des Moines], Iowa Dept. of Agriculture, 1901-1952. url p. 596.
- Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington [etc., Washington Academy of Sciences] url p. 294.
- Leaf key to the trees of the northern states and Canada, and a botanical glossary. By Romeyn Beck Hough. Lowville, N. Y., The author, 1910. url p. 10.
- Message from the President of the United States, transmitting a report of the secretary of agriculture in relation to the forests, rivers and mountains of the southern Appalachian region. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1902. url p. 106.
- Michigan trees: a handbook of the native and most important introduced species / by Charles Herbert Otis; with an introduction by George Plumer Burns. Ann Arbor: Regents of the University of Michigan, 1917 [c1915] url p. 227.
- Michigan trees; a handbook of the native and most important introduced species. Ann Arbor, The Regents, [c1915] url .
- Minnesota botanical studies. Minneapolis, Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. url p. 127, p. 127, p. 751, p. 751.
- Minnesota trees and shrubs: an illustrated manual of the native and cultivated woody plants of the State / Frederic E. Clements, C. Otto Rosendahl, Frederic K. Butters. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota, 1912. url p. 11, p. 116.
- Native woody plants of the United States, their erosion-control and wildlife values. Washington, U. S. Govt. print. off., 1938. url p. 85.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 14, p. 82.
- Our native trees and how to identify them; a popular study of their habits and their peculiarities, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1917. url , .
- Pamphlets on forest utilization. [1900?- url p. 20.
- Pamphlets on forestry in California. [1900?- url p. 79.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Kansas. [1900?- url , , p. 100, p. 102, p. 103, p. 105, p. 106, p. 116, p. 138, p. 144, p. 191, p. 193, p. 2, p. 201, p. 207, p. 292, p. 330, p. 331, p. 332, p. 333, p. 334, p. 335, p. 341, p. 342, p. 343, p. 349.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Michigan. [1900?- url p. 227.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Nebraska. [1900?- url p. 49, p. 54, p. 85.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Texas. [1900?- url p. 156.
- Pamphlets on silviculture. [1899- url , p. 56.
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 246, p. 253, p. 61, p. 732, p. 835.
- Plant life of Alabama. An account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. Prepared in cooperationwith the Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1901. url , , .
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 246, p. 61, p. 732, p. 835.
- Plants of Iowa; a preliminary list of the native and introduced plants of the state, not under cultivation; comp. by Wesley Greene, secretary. Des Moines, Bishard brothers, printers, 1907. url p. 216, p. 216.
- Plants of Mississippi: a list of flowering plants and ferns / by E.N. Lowe. [Jackson, Miss.]: Mississippi State Geological Survey, 1921. url p. 254.
- Preliminary list of the mammals of New York / Gerrit S. Miller, Jr. Albany: University of the State of New York, 1899. url p. 291.
- Principles of American forestry / New York, J. Wiley & Sons, 1903. url .
- Principles of American forestry. By Samuel B. Green. .. New York: J. Wiley & Sons; [etc., etc.], 1913, c1903. url p. 227, p. 324.
- Principles of American forestry. New YorkWiley1903 url p. 324.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 188.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 7.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago.: Field Columbian Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 239.
- Report of the State Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1898-1925. url p. 144.
- Report upon the forestry investigations of the U.S. Department of agriculture. 1877-1898. By B. E. Fernow. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1899. url p. 61.
- Report. New York url p. 65.
- Reports of the Survey. Botanical series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892- url p. 116, p. 127, p. 751.
- Shade-trees in towns and cities: their selection, planting, and care as applied to the art of street decoration, their diseases and remedies, their municipal control and supervision / London: Chapman & Hall, c1911. url .
- Shade-trees in towns and cities; their selection, planting, and care as applied to the art of street decoration; their diseases and remedies; their control and supervision. New York, J. Wiley, 1911. url p. 278, p. 278.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 56 1912 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 1.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 176.
- The ABC and XYZ of bee culture; a cyclopedia of everything pertaining to the care of the honey-bee; bees, hives, honey, implements, honey-plants, etc.. .. By A.I. Root and E.R. Root. Medina, Ohio, The A.I. Root Company, 1910. url p. 84.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 796.
- The American woods: exhibited by actual specimens and with copious explanatory text / by Romeyn B. Hough. Lowville, N.Y.: Pub., and sections prepared by the author, 1910, c1888 url p. 3, p. 61.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 143, p. 143.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 334.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 21, p. 213, p. 461, p. 472, p. 496, p. 72, p. 82.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 259, p. 576.
- The Southern Appalachian forests, WashingtonGovt. Print. Off.1905 url p. 40.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 3 1906 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 257, p. 257, p. 263, p. 263.
- The hardy catalpa / by Samuel J. Record. Crawfordsville, Ind.: Wabash College, 1906. url p. 6, p. 7.
- The natural history and topography of Groton, Massachusetts / by Samuel Abbott Green. .. [Cambridge, J. Wilson and Son]1912-14. url p. 24.
- The natural history of Chautauqua. New York: B. W. Huebsch, 1917. url p. 42.
- The planting and care of shade trees, Trenton, State gazette publishing co., printers, 1912. url p. 58.
- The plants of Southern New Jersey with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, N. J., 1911. url .
- The plants of Southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the Pine Barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 695.
- The plants of southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 695.
- The principal species of wood: their characteristic properties. By Charles Henry Snow. New York: J. Wiley & Sons; [etc., etc.], [c1908], 1910. url , p. 97, p. 98.
- The silva of North America a description of the tree which grow naturally in North America exclusive of Mexico / by Charles Sprague Sargent; illustrated with figures and analyses drawn from nature by Charles Edward Faxon. Boston;Houghton, Mifflin, 1894 url .
- The silva of North America: a description of the trees which grow naturally in North America exclusive of Mexico /by Charles Sprague Sargent. .. illustrated with figures and analyses drawn from nature by Charles Edward Faxon. .. 6 1894 Boston, New York: Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1891-1902. url p. 85, p. 86, p. 88, tab. CCL
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 164.
- Trees of Indiana / Indianapolis: State Board of Forestry of Indiana, 1919. url p. 268.
- Trees of Indiana, Fort Wayne, Ind., Fort Wayne printing company, 1911. url p. 345.
- Trees of Ohio and surrounding territory, including the area westward to the limits of the prairie and south to the thirty seventh parallel. Columbus, Ohio1909 url p. 176.
- University studies of the University of Nebraska. Lincoln. url p. 74, p. 80.
- VIII, p. v.
- Wayside trees series I. Being a description of the magnolias, tulip-tree, basswood, elms, cherries, birches, etc. / Springfield, Mass.: Taber-Prang Art Co., c1899. url .
- Tao Deding & Yin Wenqing. 1990. Bignoniaceae. In: Wang Wentsai, ed., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 69: 1-62.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Zhi-Yun Zhang & Thawatchai Santisuk "Bignoniaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 18 Page 213. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Zhi-Yun Zhang & Thawatchai Santisuk "Catalpa". in Flora of China Vol. 18 Page 215. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]