Common Names in English:
The largest family of flowering plants , the Compositae (Asteraceae), comprising about 1,100 genera and more than 20,000 species and characterized by many small flowers arranged in a head looking like a single flower and subtended by an involucre of bracts. A head may consist of both ray flowers and disk flowers, as in the sunflower, of disk flowers only, as in the burdock, or of ray flowers only, as in the dandelion.
Habit: Evergreen .
Flowers: Bloom Period: June. • Flower Color: near white, white
Size: 6-8' tall.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Order: Asterales () - Lindley, 1833
- Superorder: Campanulanae () - Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
An accepted name in the RHS Horticultural Database.
Members of the genus Cassinia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 5 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the Coccidæ of the world. [By] Mrs. Maria E. Fernald, A.M. Amherst, Mass., Carpenter & Morehouse, 1903. url p. 200.
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url , p. 509.
- An account of the insects noxious to agriculture and plants in New Zealand. by W.M. Maskell. Wellington, N.Z.: [State Forests and Agricultural Dept.], 1887. url .
- Annals of natural history. London, R. and J.E. Taylor, url p. 128, p. 128.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 31, p. 455, p. 625.
- Bulletin / Hatch Experiment Station of the Massachusetts Agricultural College. [S.l.: s.n.], 1888- url p. 200.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1910 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 100.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 635.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 635.
- Holly, yew & box, with notes on other evergreens, by W. Dallimore, and 175 illustrations. The descriptions of the varieties of the common holly are based on the monograph by Thomas Moore. London, John Lane company, 1908. url p. 269.
- Hooker, J. D. The botany of the Antarctic voyage of H.M. discovery ships Erebus and Terror in the Years 1839-1843: under the command of Captain Sir James Clark Ross /by Joseph Dalton Hooker. 2 1855 London: Reeve Brothers, 1844-60. url p. 344.
- Illustrations of the New Zealand flora / edited by T.F. Cheeseman with the assistance of W.B. Hemsley; the plates drawn by Matilda Smith. Wellington: John Mackay, Govt. Printer, 1914. url p. 443, p. 539.
- Inventory of seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1914-1924. url p. 100, p. 47.
- Irish gardening. Dublin: Pub. Office, 1906-1922 url p. 138.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 4 1866 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 229.
- Journal of botany: being a second series of the Botanical miscellany. 4 1842 London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green & Longman; Edinburgh: A. & C. Black, 1834-1842. url p. 304.
- Manual of the New Zealand flora. By T. F. Cheeseman. .. Wellington, N. Z., J. Mackay, Govt. Printer, 1906. url p. 1107, p. 344, p. 347.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 206.
- New Zealand plants and their story. By L. Cockayne. .. Wellington, N.Z., M.F. Marks, Govt. Printer, 1919. url p. 152, p. 186.
- New Zealand plants suitable for North American gardens. By Dr. L. Cockayne. .. Panama Pacific International Exposition, San Francisco, U. S. A., February-December, 1915. Wellington, N. Z., J. Mackay, Government Printer, 1914. url p. 17.
- Plants of New Zealand / Christchurch: Whitcombe and Tombs, 1906. url .
- Plants of New Zealand, by R. M. Laing and E. W. Blackwell. Christchurch: Whitcombe and Tombs, Ltd., 1906. url p. 238, p. 433.
- Plants of New Zealand, by R.M. Laing, and E.W. Blackwell. Christchurch, Wellington, and Dunedin, N.Z. [etc.]Whitcombe and Tombs, 1907. url p. 433.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 19 1897 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 753, p. 832.
- The Book of gardening; a handbook of horticulture. London, C. Scribner's Sons, 1900. url .
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 854, p. 857.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 1364.
- The Gardeners' chronicle. 1841 London: published for the proprietors, 1841-1843. url p. 441.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 10, p. 2, p. 282, p. 289, p. 57.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 10 1869 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 57, p. 64.
- The London journal of botany: containing figures and descriptions of such plants as recommend themselves by their novelty, rarity, history, or uses: together with botanical notices and information and and occasional portraits and memoirs of eminent botanists. 3 1844 London: H. Baillie?re, 1842-1848. url p. 9.
- The book of hardy flowers; a simple and complete descriptive guide to the cultivation in gardens of the trees and shrubs, perennial and annual flowers, that are hardy, or are suitable for planting out-of-doors in summer in temp Ed. by H. H. Thomas. .. Beautifully illustrated with thirty-two direct color photographs by H. Essenhigh Corke and sixty-four half-tone plates. 1915 New York, Funk & Wagnalls company; [etc., etc.] url p. 92.
- The distribution of the vegetation and flora of New Zealand. By L. Cockayne. Nelson, N.Z., R.W. Stiles & Co., Printers, 1920 url p. 39, p. 48.
- The miscellaneous botanical works of Robert Brown vol. II, containing III. systematic memoirs, and IV. contributions to systematic works. London: Published for the Ray Society by R. Hardwicke, 1867. url .
- The naturalisation of animals & plants in New Zealand, Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1922. url , .
- The students' flora of New Zealand and the outlying islands. Wellington, N. Z., John Mackay, govt. printer url .
- Transactions and proceedings of the New Zealand Institute. Wellington: New Zealand Institute. url , p. 15, p. 188, p. 188, p. 200, p. 210, p. 220, p. 235, p. 248, p. 248, p. 249, p. 251, p. 251, p. 277, p. 28, p. 28, p. 312, p. 338, p. 34, p. 340, p. 350, p. 350, p. 383, p. 415, p. 426, p. 446, p. 47, p. 48, p. 50, p. 50, p. 513, p. 96.
- Trees & shrubs for English gardens. [London]"Country life", 1908. url p. 248.
- Trees and shrubs hardy in the British Isles / by W. J. Bean. London: J. Murray, 1916. url p. 303, p. 304.
- Trees and shrubs, hardy in the British isles. LondonJ. Murray1914 url p. 303, p. 304.
- Tutira: the story of a New Zealand sheep station / by H. Guthrie-Smith. Edinburgh: Blackwood, 1921. url p. 107.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 16, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 05, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, NSW herbarium collection