Herbs biennial or short lived perennial
or cylindrical. Stem usually branched above, base
with or without papery
. Basal leaves
, narrowly sheathing
or lanceolate. Stem leaves gradually reduced upward. Umbels compound
. Calyx teeth obsolete
, rarely present, narrowly triangular. Petals broadly obovate
, white, rarely pinkish or purplish, midvein
yellow or yellow-green, base cuneate, with an inflexed
conic; styles recurved. Fruit oblong-ellipsoid or oblong-ovoid, slightly laterally compressed
, glabrous; ribs
; vittae 1(-3) in each furrow, 2-4 on commissure
. Seed face
. Carpophore 2-parted.
About 20 species: N temperate zone; four species (one endemic) in China.
This widespread genus has very uncertain limits .
Publishing author : Benth. & Hook.f. Publication : Gen. Pl. [Bentham & Hooker f.] 1(3): 891 1867 [Sep 1867]
Members of the genus Carum
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 3 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 4527202