Herbs biennial or short lived perennial
or cylindrical. Stem usually branched above, base
with or without papery
. Basal leaves
, narrowly sheathing
or lanceolate. Stem leaves gradually reduced upward. Umbels compound
. Calyx teeth obsolete
, rarely present, narrowly triangular. Petals broadly obovate
, white, rarely pinkish or purplish, midvein
yellow or yellow-green, base cuneate, with an inflexed
conic; styles recurved. Fruit oblong-ellipsoid or oblong-ovoid, slightly laterally compressed
, glabrous; ribs
; vittae 1(-3) in each furrow, 2-4 on commissure
. Seed face
. Carpophore 2-parted.
About 20 species: N temperate zone; four species (one endemic) in China.
This widespread genus has very uncertain limits .
Publishing author : H.Boissieu Publication : Bull . Soc. Bot. France 53: 426 1906
Members of the genus Carum
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 3 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- American Plant Food Company, 7405 River Road, Bethesda MD.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed October 13, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from provider.
- Merrifield Garden Center, Merrifield VA USA
- The International Plant Names Index. Accessed Dec 27, 2011.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 10502080
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:839647-1
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 839647-1
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 1189788