Shrub or small palm-like tree from tropical America. The fruits are highly prized as a delicacy but various parts of the plant are also used medicinally, and the green fruits and leaves are used as a meat tenderizer.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Amharic:
Common Names in Arabic:
Common Names in Armenian:
Common Names in Assamese:
Common Names in Australian languages:
Common Names in Azerbaijani:
Common Names in Belarusian:
Common Names in Bengali, Bangla:
Common Names in Bulgarian:
Common Names in Burmese:
Common Names in Catalan, Valencian:
Common Names in Chamorro:
Common Names in Chinese:
Fan Mu Gua, 番木瓜
Common Names in Croatian:
Common Names in Czech:
Common Names in Danish:
Melontræ, Melontræ, Papaya
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Papaya, Mamon, Paw Paw, Pawpaw, Tree Melon
Common Names in Esperanto:
Common Names in Fijian:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Common Names in Galician:
Common Names in Georgian:
Common Names in German:
Melonenbaum, Papajabaum, Papajapflanze, Papaya, Papayabaum
Common Names in Greek (modern):
Common Names in Gujarati:
Common Names in Haitian, Haitian Creole:
Common Names in Hebrew (modern):
Common Names in Hindi:
Common Names in Hungarian:
Common Names in Ido:
Common Names in Indonesian:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Papaiya, Papaya, Popoo, パパイア
Common Names in Javanese:
Common Names in Khmer:
Doeum Lahong, Ihong
Common Names in Kinyarwanda:
Common Names in Komi:
Common Names in Korean:
Pa Pa Ya, 파파야
Common Names in Lao:
Common Names in Laotian:
Common Names in Latvian:
Common Names in Lingala:
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Malay:
Betek, Betik, Gedang (Indonesia), Kates (Indonesian), Ketalah, Papaya (Indonesia)
Common Names in Malayalam:
Common Names in Marathi (Marāṭhī):
Common Names in Navajo, Navaho:
Hashkʼaan dootłʼizhí (babáayah)
Common Names in Nepali:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Oriya:
Common Names in Persian (Farsi):
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Mamão, Mamão, Mamao (Brazil), Papaia
Common Names in Quechua:
Common Names in Romanian:
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Sanskrit (Saṁskṛta):
Common Names in Serbian:
Common Names in Slovak:
Common Names in Somali:
Common Names in Spanish:
Fruta Bomba, Lechosa, Mamón, Mamón, Melón Zapote, Olcoctón, Papanajo, Papaya, Papaya Calentana, Papayero, Papayo
Common Names in Sundanese:
Common Names in Swahili:
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Tagalog:
Kapaya, Lapaya, Papaya
Common Names in Tamil:
Common Names in Telugu:
Common Names in Thai:
Loko, Ma Kuai Thet, Malako, Malakor, Sa Kui Se, มะละกอ
Common Names in Tibetan Standard, Tibetan, Central:
Common Names in Tonga (Tonga Islands):
Common Names in Turkish:
Common Names in Ukrainian:
Common Names in unspecified:
Common Names in Urdu:
Common Names in Vietnamese:
Dudu, Đu đủ
small, palmlike, or shrubs
, rarely vines
, often prickly, monoecious, dioecious, andromonoecious, gynomonoecious
, or polygamomonoecious. Stem stout, unbranched, rarely branched, with a terminal
of leaves, with flowing, latexlike exudate
. Leaves alternate, long petiolate
, usually estipulate, large; stipules when present, spiny
; leaf blade
palmate or palmatifid
, rarely entire or pinnatifid
. Inflorescences axillary
; male flowers aggregated in cymose
panicles; female flowers usually solitary or aggregated in corymbose
cymes, large. Calyx 5-lobed; lobes
basally. Corolla 5-lobed; tube
long in male flowers, short in female flowers. Stamens 5 or 10, 1- or 2-whorled, inserted
of corolla tube; filaments
, connate basally; anthers
, dehiscing via longitudinal
slits. Gynoecium in male flowers vestigial, or absent; in female flowers syncarpous
, synovarious to synstylovarious; ovary superior, 1- or 5-loculed, placentation when 1-loculed parietal
(placentas Â± deeply intruded) or laminar-dispersed, when 5-loculed axile
; ovules numerous
, bitegmic; styles 1 or 5, free to partly joined, apical; stigmas 5, papillate
, dry. Fruit large, fleshy
, indehiscent berry. Seeds numerous, surrounded by mucilage; endosperm oily; embryo well differentiated; cotyledons 2, broad, flat. n = 9.
Six genera and 34 species: Central and South America, one genus of two species (Cylicomorpha Urban) in tropical Africa, one genus (Carica) widely introduced and cultivated in tropical areas of the world, including China.
small, or shrubs
. Leaves subpeltate; leaf blade
, rarely entire. Flowers unisexual
. Male flowers: corolla lobes
or contorted; stamens 10, filaments
. Female flowers: corolla lobes linear-oblong; stamens absent; ovary estipitate, 1-loculed; ovules several to numerous
, placentation parietal
; stigmas 5, inflated
or linear. Fruit large, succulent. Seeds numerous, ovoid
or slightly compressed
; embryo compressed; cotyledons long elliptic
One species: of cultivated origin in Central America, unknown in the wild; widely introduced and cultivated in tropical areas of the world, including China.
Habit: Tree , Shrub
Flowers: Bloom Period: January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December. • Flower Color: near white, white
Size: 20-30' tall.
Culture: Space 8-10' apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 7.9 • Maximum pH: 8.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b, 11. (map)
- Chatton, 1925
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997, nom. inval.
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Novák ex Takht. (1967)
- Subclass: Magnoliidae () - Novák ex Takhtajan, 1967 - Angiosperms
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Novák ex Takht. (1967)
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997, nom. inval.
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Papaya carica Gaertner • Papaya Papaya
Members of the genus Carica
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 16 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
C. candicans (Mito) · C. cauliflora (Mountain Pawpaw) · C. mexicana (Coahuayote) · C. monoica (Carica) · C. omnilingua (Col De Monte) · C. palandensis (Papaillo) · C. papaya (Papaya) · C. papaya var. Tropical Dwarf Papaya (Papaya) · C. papaya 'Formosa' (Papaya) · C. papaya'Tropical Dwarf Papaya' (Tropical Dwarf Papaya) · C. pentagona (Babaco) · C. pubescens (Mountain Papaya) · C. pulchra (Col De Monte) · C. quercifolia (Oak-Leaved Papaya) · C. × heilbornii (Hybrid Babaco) · C. x heilbornii (Babaco)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- 1997 IUCN red list of threatened plants Cambridge: IUCN, World Conservation Union, 1998 url p. 119.
- A List of plants of Formosa. Taiwan1910 url p. 43.
- A bibliographic enumeration of Bornean plants, by E. D. Merrill. Singapore, Printed by Fraser & Neave, ltd., 1921 url p. 414, p. 414.
- A bibliography of the southern green stink bug Nezara viridula (Linneaus) (Hemiptera, Pentatomidae) / N.B. Dewitt, G.L. Godfrey. Urbana, Ill.: State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1972. url p. 4.
- A descriptive catalogue of useful fiber plants of the world: including the structural and economic classifications of fibers / by Charles Richards Dodge. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1897. url p. 111.
- A dictionary of the plant names of the Philippine Islands / by Elmer D. Merrill. Manila: Bureau of Public Print., 1903. url p. 133, p. 47, p. 94.
- A handbook of systematic botany / by Dr. E. Warming with a revision of the fungi by Dr. E. Knoblauch, tr. and ed. by M. C. Potter. New York: Macmillan & Co., 1895. url p. 476.
- A handbook of systematic botany; with a revision of the fungi, by E. Knoblauch; tr. and ed. by M.C. Potter. London, Swan url p. 476.
- A history of botany 1860-1900; being a continuation of Sachs History of botany, 1530-1860, ' by J. Reynolds Green. .. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1909. url p. 410.
- A history of botany, 1860-1900; being a continuation of Sachs "History of botany, 1530-1860". OxfordClarendon Press1909 url p. 410.
- A list of plants of Formosa, by Takiya Kawakami. Taiwan shokubutsu mokuroku. Taihoku, Bureau of Productive Industry, Govt. of Formosa, 1910. url p. 43.
- A manual flora of Egypt / by Reno Muschler. With a preface by Paul Ascherson and Georg Schweinfurth. Berlin, R. Friedlaender, 1912. url p. 1203.
- A manual of dangerous insects likely to be introduced in the United States through importations. Ed. by W. Dwight Pierce, entomologist, southern field crop insect investigations. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1918. url p. 115, p. 163, p. 201, p. 249, p. 253.
- A manual of organic materia medica and pharmacognosy; an introduction to the study of the vegetable kingdom and the vegetable and animal drugs (with syllabus of inorganic remedial agents) comprising the botanical and physical characteristics, source, con Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 310, p. 585.
- A manual of physiology with practical exercises / by G.N. Stewart. Philadelphia: Saunders, . url p. 308.
- A manual of physiology: with practical exercises / by G.N. Stewart London: Baillière, Tindall and Cox, 1900 url p. 308.
- A manual of the penicillia, by Kenneth B. Raper and Charles Thom; with the technical assistance and illus. by Dorothy I. Fennel. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co., [c1949] url p. 514.
- A naturalist in Brazil; the record of a year's observation of her flora, her fauna, and her people, by Konrad Guenther. .. translated by Bernard Miall. .. Boston, Houghton Mifflin Company, 1931. url p. 398.
- A review of the identifications of the species described in Blanco's Flora de Filipinas, Manila, Bureau of public printing, 1905. url p. 49.
- A text-book of botany and pharmacognosy: intended for the use of students of pharmacy, as a reference book for pharmacists, and a handbook for food and drug analysts / by Henry Kraemer. Philadelphia & London: J. B. Lippincott company[c1910] url p. 180.
- A text-book of botany, by Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. Fritz Noll. .. [and] Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1908. url p. 737.
- A text-book of mycology and plant pathology / Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Son & Co.c1917. url .
- A text-book of physiology, by Isaac Ott. Illustrated with 393 half-tone and other engravings, many in colors. Philadelphia, F. A. Davis company, 1907. url p. 100.
- A text-book of physiology. Philadelphia, Davis, 1909. url p. 104.
- A textbook of plant physiology / by N. A. Maximov. Translated from the Russian; edited by A. E. Murneek and R. B. Harvey. New York, [etc]: McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., 1930. url p. 224.
- A year of Costa Rican natural history, by Amelia Smith Calvert. .. and Philip Powell Calvert. .. with maps and illustrations. New York, The Macmillan company, 1917. url p. 425, p. 546.
- Agricultural index. New York, H. W. Wilson Co. url p. 189.
- Agricultural news. Bridgetown, Barbados, Bowen & sons;1902-22. url p. 106, p. 174, p. 212.
- American forests. Washington [etc.]American Forestry Association [etc.] url p. 226, p. 228, p. 303.
- American horticultural manual. .. By J.L. Budd. .. assisted by N.E. Hansen. .. Illustrated. .. New York, J. Wiley & sons; [etc., etc.]1902-1903. url p. 483.
- American horticultural manual. New York, Wiley, 1914. url p. 483.
- American horticultural manual... By J.L. Budd...assisted by N.E. Hansen...Illustrated... New York: J. Wiley & sons; [etc., etc.], 1902-1903. url p. 483.
- American journal of physiology. [Bethesda, Md., etc.]American Physiological Society [etc.] url p. 164, p. 255.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 118.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 155, p. 267, p. 354, p. 405, p. 967, p. 968.
- An introduction to the chemistry of plant products by Paul Haas and T. G. Hill. London, Longmans, Green, 1928-1929. url p. 482, p. 519.
- An introduction to the embryology of angiosperms. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1950. url p. 191, p. 210, p. 214.
- Annals of applied biology. [Wellesbourne, Warwick, etc.]Association of Applied Biologists [etc.] url , , p. 245, p. 249, p. 257, p. 263, p. 264, p. 268.
- Annals of the Entomological Society of America. [College Park, Md., etc.]: Entomological Society of America. url p. 169.
- Annals of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Peradeniya. Colombo: Skien; 1901-1924. url p. 447, p. 448, p. 460, p. 463.
- Annual report of the Bureau of American Ethnology to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: U. S. Govt. Print. Off., 1897- url p. 219.
- Annual report of the Director of Forestry. Manila [etc.] url p. 46.
- Annual report of the Office of Experiment Stations. .. / U.S. Department of Agriculture. Washington: G.P.O., 1902-1913. url p. 433.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 339, p. 339.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 1944-1945 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 15.
- Bernice P. Bishop Museum bulletin. Honolulu, Hawaii: Bishop Museum Press, 1922-1987. url p. 42.
- Biodiversity Data Sourcebook. WCMC Biodiversity Series 1 World Conservation Press url p. 38.
- Biology of the papaya fruit fly, Washington[Govt. print. off.]1922. url .
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 5, October 1990: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN url p. 79.
- Botanic drugs, their materia medica, pharmacology, and therapeutics, by Thomas S. Blair. Cincinnati, O.: The Therapeutic digest publishing co., 1917. url p. 221, p. 355.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 128, p. 148, p. 208, p. 226, p. 265, p. 349, p. 353, p. 377.
- Botanical bulletin / Honolulu: Division of Forestry, 1911-1919. url p. 11.
- Botanical publications of E.D. Merrill. [New York, etc., 1899- url , p. 414.
- Botany for agricultural students / New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1919. url , .
- Botany for agricultural students, by John N. Martin. New York, John Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1919. url p. 284, p. 284, p. 569, p. 569.
- Botany for agricultural students. New York, Wiley, 1919. url p. 284, p. 569.
- Botany with agricultural applications. New York, Wiley, 1920. url p. 284, p. 587.
- Botany, with agricultural applications, New York, John Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1920. url , .
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url p. 173, p. 179.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 156, p. 181, p. 213, p. 232, p. 336, p. 4, p. 451, p. 48, p. 531, p. 65, p. 918.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1916. url p. 118, p. 24, p. 26, p. 36, p. 49, p. 51.
- Bulletin of entomological research. Farnham Royal: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux. url p. 257, p. 415, p. 488, p. 67.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1951-1992. url p. 100, p. 281, p. 346.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url p. 15.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., Govt. Print. Off., 1913-1923. url , , , p. 12, p. 12, p. 12, p. 14, p. 14, p. 18, p. 18, p. 26, p. 26, p. 3.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 120, p. 415, p. 495.
- Carotenoids, by Paul Karrer and Ernst Jucker. Translated and rev. by Ernest A. Braude. New York, Elsevier Pub. Co., 1950. url p. 175.
- Carotenoids, their comparative biochemistry. New York, Chemical Pub. Co., 1954. url p. 302, p. 31, p. 329, p. 36.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 1012, p. 249, p. 287, p. 308, p. 402, p. 712, p. 789, p. 834, p. 865.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 1012, p. 249, p. 287, p. 308, p. 402, p. 712, p. 789, p. 834, p. 865.
- Catalogue of the Hemiptera (Heteroptera) with biological and anatomical references, lists of foodplants and parasites, etc. prefaced by a discussion on nomenclature, and an analytical table of families, by G. W. Kirkaldy. Berlin, F. L. Dames, 1909- url p. 193.
- Catalogue of the library of the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University / compiled under the direction of Charles Sprague Sargent by Ethelyn Maria Tucker. Cambridge: Printed at the Cosmos Press, 1914-1933. url p. 228, p. 627.
- Catalogue of the mycological library of Howard A. Kelly. comp. by Louis C.C. Krieger. Baltimore, Privately printed, 1924. url p. 146.
- Chapters in modern botany, by Patrick Geddes. London, J. Murray, 1893. url p. 43.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 121, p. 125, p. 126, p. 378, p. 409, p. 426, p. 513, p. 560.
- Chemistry of the proteids, by Gustav Mann. Based on Professor Otto Cohnheim's 'Chemie der eiweisskörper.' London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1906. url p. 198.
- Chinese materia medica. extensively revised from F. Porter Smith's work by G. A. Stuart. Shanghai?: Presbyterian Mission Press?, 1911? url p. 93.
- Chloroplast pigments and chromatographic analysis. University Park, Pennsylvania State University url p. 141.
- Circular / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry, 1908-1913. url p. 13, p. 3, p. 6, p. 8.
- Cloud Forest Agenda. UNEP-WCMC Biodiversity Series 20 UNEP-WCMC url p. 14.
- Common trees of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands / by Elbert L. Little, Jr., and Frank H. Wadsworth. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, 1964. url , p. 374, p. 533.
- Contribution [I]-III to the coastal and plain flora of Yucatan, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh. 1 1898 Chicago, 1895-1898. url p. 381, plate III, plate IV.
- Contributions from the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1899- url p. 45.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 14 1980 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 124.
- Cooperative economic insect report. Hyattsville, MD. [etc.]Plant Protection and Quarantine Programs Animal and Plant Health Service. url p. 1121, p. 1121, p. 1122, p. 1124, p. 260, p. 263, p. 264, p. 267, p. 431, p. 72, p. 905, p. 913, p. 919.
- Coral and atolls: a history and description of the Keeling-Cocos Islands, with an account of their fauna and flora, and a discussion of the method of development and transformation of coral structures By F. Wood-Jones... London, Lovell Reeve & Co., Ltd., 1912. url p. 373.
- Das Obst der Tropen. Berlin, W. Susserott url , p. 64.
- Date growing in the Old World and the New / Altadena, Calif.: West India Gardens, 1913. url .
- Date growing in the old world and the new / by Paul B. Popenoe; with a chapter on the food value of the date, by Charles L. Bennett. Altadena, Cal.: West India Gardens, 1913. url p. 30.
- Department of the Interior, Bureau of Government Laboratories. Manila: Bureau of Public Print., 1902-1906. url p. 58.
- Descriptive catalogue of the Formosan fungi / by Kaneyoshi Sawoda. Taihoku, Formosa: Agricultural Experiment Station, 1919- url p. 141, p. 164, p. 189, p. 202, p. 209, p. 250, p. 57, p. 74.
- Dictionary of the active principles of plants: alkaloids, bitter principles, glucosides, their sources, nature, and chemical characteristics, with tabular summary, classification of reactions, and full botanical and general indexes / by Charles E. Sohn. London: Baillière, Tindall and Cox, 1894. url p. 76.
- Difco manual of dehydrated culture media and reagents for microbiological and clinical laboratory procedures. Detroit[c1953] url p. 278.
- Diseases of crop-plants in the Lesser Antilles. By William Nowell. With a foreword by J. Bretland. Published on behalf of the Imperial Department of Agriculture. London, West India Committee[1923?] url p. 346, p. 372.
- Dr. John Fothergill and his friends; chapters in eighteenth century life; by R. Hingston Fox. London: Macmillan, 1919. url p. 187.
- Early British botanists and their gardens, based on unpublished writings of Goodyer, Tradescant, and others, by R. T. Gunther. With nine plates and twenty-one other illustrations. Oxford, Printed by F. Hall for the author at the University Press, 1922. url p. 369.
- Early references to Hawaiian entomology, Honolulu, Hawaii, The Museum, 1923. url p. 42.
- Electron microscopy; proceedings of the Stockholm Conference, September, 1956 / Editors: F. S. Sjöstrand and J. Rhodin. New York: Academic Press,  url p. 226.
- Elements of Philippine agriculture, by Edwin Bingham Copeland. Manila: World Book Company, 1910 [c1908] url p. 176.
- Emergency food plants and poisonous plants of the islands of the Pacific / [E.D. Merrill] Washington, D.C.: U.S. Govt. Print. Office, 1943. url , p. 140, p. 77, p. 78.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 13, p. 188.
- Ethnology of the Mayas of southern and central British Honduras / by J. Eric Thompson -- Berthold Laufer -- ed. Chicago:Field Museum Press, 1930. url p. 192.
- Fauna hawaiiensis; Cambridge, Eng., The University press, 1913. url p. 106.
- Fauna hawaiiensis; being the land-fauna of the Hawaiian islands. by various authors, 1899-1913. Cambridge [Eng.]: The University press, 1913. url p. 106.
- Field, forest, and garden botany; a simple introduction to the common plants of the United States east of the 100th meridian, both wild and cultivated, by Asa Gray. .. Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company url p. 189.
- Flora Malesiana. general editor, C.G.G.J. van Steenis. Djakarta: Noordhoff-Kolff, 1950- url p. 43, p. 612.
- Flora Vitiensis nova: a new Flora of Fiji (spermatophytes only) / Albert C. Smith. Lawaii, Hawaii: Pacific Tropical Botanical Garden, 1979- url p. 672.
- Flora of the District of Columbia and vicinity. By A.S. Hitchcock and Paul C. Standley, with the assistance of the botanists of Washington. WashingtonGovt. print. off.1919 url p. 161.
- Flora of the Presidency of Madras / by J.S. Gamble. London: West, Newman and Adlard, 1915- url p. 525.
- Flora of the islands of Margarita and Coche, Venezuela / by John Robert Johnston. Boston: Gray Herbarium of Harvard University, 1909. url p. 284.
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url , , .
- Food for the tropics, being a short description of native produce suitable for food in tropical countries, by T. M. MacKnight. London, W. Thacker & co.; [etc., etc.]1904. url p. 53, p. 77.
- Foreign birds for cage and aviary. By Arthur G. Butler London, "The Feathered world"[191-?] url p. 208.
- Fruit recipes; a manual of the food value of fruits and nine hundred different ways of using them, New York, Doubleday, Page & Co., 1907. url .
- Fungi from Costa Rica and Panama, Urbana, University of Illinois, 1927 url p. 60, p. 63.
- Gardening for the South; Richmond, Va., B. F. Johnson publishing company, 1901. url p. 669.
- Gardening for the South; or, How to grow vegetables and fruits. By the late William N. White. Richmond, Va.B. F. Johnson, 1901. url p. 531, p. 669.
- Gardening with brains; fifty years' experiences of a horticultural epicure, [New York]: Harper and brothers, 1922. url p. 239.
- Gardens, wildlife densities, and subsistence hunting by Maya Indians in Quintana Roo, Mexico / 1993. url p. 153, p. 278, p. 283, p. 287, p. 291, p. 308.
- General physiology, an outline of the science of life, translated and edited by Frederic S. Lee. London, MacMillan, 1899. url p. 171.
- General physiology; an outline of the science of life, London, Macmillan and co., limited;1899. url .
- Glimpses into the life of Indian plants: an elementary Indian botany / by I. Pfleiderer. Mangalore: Basel Mission Book and Tract Depository, 1916. url p. 287, p. 77.
- Global Biodiversity: status of the Earth's living resources WCMC url p. 332, p. 548.
- Gray's school and field book of botany. Consisting of "Lessons in botany, " and "Field, forest, and garden botany, " bound in one volume. New York, American book company, 1901?, c1887 url p. 189.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1992 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 1259.
- Growth of plants; twenty years' research at Boyce Thompson Institute. New York, Reinhold Pub. Corp., 1948. url p. 44.
- Hand-book of Indian agriculture, by Nitya Gopal Mukerji. Calcutta, Thacker, Spink & co., 1901. url p. 203, p. 467.
- Handbook of experiment station work. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1893. url p. 238.
- Harmsworth's Universal encyclopedia, written by the leading authorities in every branch of knowledge and edited by J.A. Hammerton. London, Educational Bk. Co.[n.d.] url p. 3120.
- Hevea brasiliensis, or Para rubber, its botany, cultivation, chemistry and diseases, by Herbert Wright. .. London: Maclaren & sons, ltd.; [etc., etc.], 1908. url .
- Horticulture. Boston, Mass.: Horticulture Pub. Co., c1904-. url p. 905.
- How crops grow. A treatise on the chemical composition, structure and life of the plant, for students of agriculture. With numerous illustrations and tables of analyses. By Samuel W. Johnson. New York: Orange Judd company, 1911 [c1890] url p. 102.
- Human physiology, prepared with special reference to students of medicine, by Joseph Howard Raymond. 444 illustrations, some of them in colors, and 4 full-page lithographic plates. Philadelphia and London, W. B. Saunders & company, 1905. url p. 113.
- IUCN Directory of Afrotropical Protected Areas IUCN, UNEP url p. 1014, p. 556.
- IUCN Directory of Neotropical Protected Areas IUCN url p. 345.
- In lower Florida wilds; a naturalist's observations on the life, physical geography, and geology of the more tropical part of the state, by Charles Torrey Simpson. With sixty-four illustrations and two maps. London: G. P. Putnam's sons, 1920. url p. 104.
- In the Andamans and Nicobars; the narrative of a cruise in the schooner "Terrapin", with notices of the islands, their fauna, ethnology, etc., by C. Boden Kloss. .. London: J. Murray, 1903. url p. 281, p. 347.
- Index of plants. 1912. Singapore, Printed at the Methodist Publishing House, 1912. url .
- Insecutor inscitiae menstruus. Washington, D.C.: [Harrison G. Dyar], 1913-1926. url p. 139.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 391, p. 578.
- Introduction to plant geography and some related sciences. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1960. url p. 242, p. 590.
- Introduction to the chemistry of plant products, by Paul Haas and T. G. Hill. London, Longmans, Green and co., 1913. url p. 338, p. 360, p. 362, p. 391.
- Inventory of seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1914-1924. url , , , p. 10, p. 10, p. 100, p. 109, p. 11, p. 11, p. 11, p. 111, p. 114, p. 114, p. 114, p. 118, p. 119, p. 12, p. 12, p. 12, p. 13, p. 158, p. 166, p. 17, p. 17, p. 17, p. 174, p. 176, p. 19, p. 21, p. 22, p. 26, p. 28, p. 29, p. 31, p. 31, p. 35, p. 36, p. 37, p. 39, p. 39, p. 40, p. 41, p. 41, p. 41, p. 41, p. 42, p. 43, p. 45, p. 45, p. 46, p. 47, p. 49, p. 50, p. 51, p. 52, p. 52, p. 53, p. 53, p. 55, p. 57, p. 6, p. 60, p. 61, p. 63, p. 64, p. 64, p. 66, p. 66, p. 66, p. 72, p. 76, p. 78, p. 8, p. 8, p. 81, p. 82, p. 83, p. 83, p. 85, p. 85, p. 85, p. 85, p. 87, p. 87, p. 88, p. 88, p. 88, p. 9, p. 91, p. 92, p. 92, p. 93, p. 93, p. 93, p. 94, p. 94, p. 96, p. 96, p. 98, p. 99, p. 99.
- Johnson's Gardeners' dictionary and cultural instructor. London, A. T. De La Mare printing and publishing co., ltd. url p. 633.
- Journal and proceedings of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. 4 1908 Calcutta, Asiatic Society of Bengal. url p. 619.
- Journal of Hymenoptera research. Washington, D.C.: International Society of Hymenopterists, [1992- url p. 163.
- Journal of agricultural research. Washington, U.S. Govt. Printing Office, 1913-1949.. url p. 270, p. 366, p. 528, p. 532.
- Journal of economic entomology. [College Park, Md., etc.]Entomological Society of America [etc.] url p. 424, p. 468.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 24 2004 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 156, p. 179, p. 18, p. 186, p. 190, p. 202, p. 203, p. 216, p. 230, p. 242, p. 275, p. 60, p. 64.
- Journal of the Association of Official Agricultural Chemists. Baltimore. url p. 387.
- Journal of the Federated Malay States museums. Kuala Lumpur: F.M.S. Museums, 1906-1929. url p. 31.
- Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington [etc., Washington Academy of Sciences] url p. 695, p. 708.
- Leaflets of Philippine botany. 6 1913-1914 Manila: Oriental Printing Co., 1906-1939. url p. 2171, p. 2474, p. 2528, p. 2532, p. 3861.
- Liberia / by Sir Harry Johnson; with an appendix on the flora of Liberia by Dr. Otto Stapf. London: Hutchinson, 1906. url p. 608, p. 608.
- Liberia, by Sir Harry Johnston. With an appendix on the flora of Liberia, by Dr. Otto Stapf; 28 coloured illustrations by Sir Harry Johnston, 24 botanical drawings by Miss Matilda Smith, 402 black and white il London, Hutchinson, 1906. url p. 608.
- Life zones and crop zones of the United States. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1898. url p. 53.
- Life, outlines of general bioloy / by Sir J. Arthur Thomson, and Patrick Geddes. London: Harper, [19--?] url p. 159.
- List of intercepted plant pests / United States Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine and Control Administration. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O.], 1932- url , p. 10, p. 12, p. 12, p. 12, p. 121, p. 13, p. 14, p. 14, p. 14, p. 147, p. 15, p. 159, p. 16, p. 16, p. 16, p. 16, p. 17, p. 17, p. 17, p. 17, p. 18, p. 18, p. 19, p. 21, p. 22, p. 229, p. 23, p. 236, p. 24, p. 24, p. 240, p. 26, p. 263, p. 266, p. 29, p. 293, p. 30, p. 30, p. 305, p. 308, p. 31, p. 31, p. 312, p. 316, p. 317, p. 32, p. 32, p. 32, p. 320, p. 33, p. 33, p. 351, p. 354, p. 36, p. 37, p. 38, p. 40, p. 43, p. 432, p. 434, p. 44, p. 450, p. 454, p. 46, p. 46, p. 461, p. 462, p. 462, p. 47, p. 48, p. 48, p. 48, p. 48, p. 490, p. 52, p. 556, p. 57, p. 61, p. 63, p. 63, p. 64, p. 67, p. 76, p. 8, p. 8.
- Madagascar: an environmental profile IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 344, p. 361.
- Man and beast in eastern Ethiopia: From observations made in British East Africa, Uganda, and the Sudan / by J. Bland-Sutton. ..With two hundred and four engravings on wood. London: Macmillan and co., 1911. url p. 7.
- Memoirs of the American Entomological Society. Philadelphia, American Entomological Society, 1916- url p. 124.
- Memoirs of the Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum of Polynesian Ethnology and Natural History. Honolulu: [Bishop Museum Press], 1899-1949. url p. 60.
- Memoirs of the Department of Agriculture in India. Calcutta: Published for the Imperial Dept. of Agriculture in India by Thacker, Spink, 1906-1931. url p. 229.
- Minnesota botanical studies. Minneapolis, Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. url p. 858.
- Minor products of Philippine forests, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1920-1921. url , .
- Nests and eggs of Australian birds, including the geographical distribution of the species and popular observations thereon, by Archibald James Campbell. ... With map, 28 coloured plates and 131 photographic illustrations. Sheffield, Printed for the author by Pawson & Brailsford, 1901. url p. 1071.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 5 1909 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 27.
- Notes on useful plants of Mexico. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1899 url p. 262.
- Oil spill sensitivity of the western Indian Ocean islands: coastal data from the Comoros Islands, Madagascar, Mauritius, Reunion and the Seychelles WCMC url p. 70.
- Ornamental gardening in Florida, by Charles Torrey Simpson; a treatise on the decorative plants adapted to Florida and their cultivation, with suggestions for the ornamentation of Florida homes and grounds. Little River, Fla., The author, 1916. url p. 153, p. 153, p. 189, p. 189.
- Pamphlets on forestry in California. [1900?- url p. 27, p. 31, p. 36, p. 78.
- Pamphlets on forestry in Hawaii. [1900?- url p. 11.
- Pamphlets on silviculture. [1899- url , p. 1168, p. 1434, p. 1507, p. 490, p. 702, p. 977.
- Personal narrative of travels to the equinoctial regions of America, during the years 1799-1804 / by Alexander von Humboldt and Aimé Bonpland; translated from the French of Alexander von Humboldt and edited by Thomasina Ross. London: G. Bell, 1907. url p. 20, p. 369, p. 52.
- Pharmaceutical bacteriology, Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co., 1920. url , , p. 222, p. 224.
- Pharmaceutical bacteriology, by Albert Schneider. .. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son, 1920. url p. 222, p. 224.
- Pharmaceutical botany, Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co.[c1914] url , .
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 194, p. 195, p. 60.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 114, p. 46, p. 64.
- Plant culture; a working handbook of every day practice for all who grow flowering and ornamental plants in the garden and greenhouse, New York, A. T. De La Mare Co., Inc.[c1921] url .
- Plant growth-substances; their chemistry and applications, with special reference to synthetics, by Hugh Nicol. Brooklyn, N Y., Chemical publishing company, inc., 1941. url .
- Plant physiology. Edited by R. B. Harvey and A. E. Murneck. 2d English ed., translated and rev. from the 5th Russian ed. Translated from the Russian ed. Translated from the Russian by Irene V. Krassovsky. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1938. url p. 60.
- Plant physiology; a textbook for colleges and universities, by Bernard S. Meyer. .. and Donald B. Anderson. .. New York, D. Van Nostrand Company, inc., 1939. url p. 471.
- Potter's cyclopaedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R.C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke,  url p. xiii.
- Potter's cyclopedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R. C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke, [1900-1950?]. url p. 113, p. xiii.
- Practical plant physiology: an introduction to original research for students and teachers of natural science, medicine, agriculture and forestry / by W. Detmer; translated from the 2nd German edition by S.A. Moor. London: Macmillan, 1898. url p. 252.
- Practical veterinary pharmacology and therapeutics, New York, The Macmillan Company, 1917. url , , p. 220, p. 504.
- Principles of biochemistry for students of medicine, agriculture and related sciences, by T. Brailsford Robertson. .. illustrated with 49 engravings. New York, Lea & Febiger, 1920. url p. 214, p. 614.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 155, p. 450.
- Proceedings of the First Agricultural Conference, Malaya, held at the Chamber of Commerce, Kuala Lumpur, April 25th to 28th 1917.. ..; ed. by L. Lewton-Brain and B. Bunting. Kuala Lumpur, Govt. Printer, 1917. url p. 151.
- Proceedings of the Hawaiian Entomological Society. Honolulu: Hawaiian Entomological Society url , p. 456.
- Productivity and herbivory in high and low diversity tropical successional ecosystems in Costa Rica / by Becky Jean Brown. 1982. url p. 17, p. 93.
- Publication / Institute of Social Anthropology. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1944- url p. 142, p. 146, p. 153, p. 154, p. 329, p. 341.
- Pygmies & Papuans; the stone age to-day in Dutch New Guinea. With appendices by W. R. Ogilvie-Grant, A. C. Haddon, and Sidney H. Ray. New York, Sturgis & Walton, 1912. url p. 101.
- Quantitative studies on spore production and host infection by Pythium spp. / by Roger J. Sauve. 1978. url p. 62.
- Recent advances in cytology, by C. D. Darlington. With a foreword by J. B. S. Haldane. With 16 plates, 160 text-figures and 81 tables. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co., inc., 1937. url p. 643.
- Report of the Board of Commissioners of Agriculture and Forestry of the Territory of Hawaii for the period. .. Honolulu. url p. 48.
- Report of the proceedings of the. .. Entomological meeting Calcutta;Superintendent government printing, India, 1917-24. url p. 564.
- Report on the agricultural resources and capabilities of Hawaii. Washington, Govt. Print. off., 1901. url p. 13, p. 49.
- Results of the first Joint US-USSR Central Pacific Expedition (BERPAC): Autumn 1988 / John F. Turner, . .. [et al.]; P.A. Nagel, editor. Washington, DC: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 1992. url p. 51.
- Root-knot and its control. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1911. url p. 13, p. 22, p. 49, p. 50.
- Rough notes and memoranda relating to the natural history of the Bermudas, London, R.H. Porter, 1897. url .
- Science progress in the twentieth century: a quarterly journal of scientific work & thought. London: John Murray, 1906-1916. url p. 309.
- Science progress. London: Scientific Press, [1894-1898] url p. 121, p. 122.
- Scientific results of the Zoological Expedition to British East Africa and Uganda made by Prof. V. Dogiel and I. Sokolow in the year 1914. [Petrograd, 1916- url p. 70.
- Seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1903-1913. url p. 11, p. 11, p. 12, p. 17, p. 21, p. 26, p. 27, p. 33, p. 35, p. 35, p. 39, p. 43, p. 43, p. 51, p. 57, p. 61, p. 63, p. 65, p. 7, p. 71, p. 83, p. 86, p. 9, p. 96.
- Source book for African anthropology -- / by Wilfrid D. Hambly --. 111 text figures, 5 maps. Paul S. Martin -- editor. Chicago:Field Museum Press, 1937. url p. 875.
- Special scientific report. Seattle, National Marine Fisheries Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1949-1971. url p. 27.
- Spixiana. München: Zoologische Staatssammlung München, 1977- url p. 142.
- Standard values in nutrition and metabolism, being the second fascicle of a handbook of biological data. Prepared under the direction of the Committee on the Handbok of Biological Data, American Institute of Biological Sciences, National Research Council. Philadelphia, Saunders url p. 369.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 357.
- Studies in physiological chemistry, being reprints of the more important studies issued from the laboratory of physiological chemistry: Sheffield Scientific School of Yale University during the years 1897-1900. New York, Scribner, 1901. url p. 160.
- Sturtevant's notes on edible plants / Edited by U.P. Hedrick. Albany: J.B. Lyon, 1919. url p. 142.
- Synopsis of veterinary materia medica, therapeutics and toxicology, Chicago, A. Eger, 1904. url .
- Systematic pomology, treating of description, nomenclature, and classification of fruits, by F. A. Waugh. .. New York: Orange Judd company, 1903. url p. 145.
- Systematic pomology; treating of description, nomenclature, and classification of fruits, by F. A. Waugh. New York: O. Judd Co., 1908 [c1903] url p. 145.
- Technical series. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1895-1915. url p. 40.
- Text-book of pastoral and agricultural botany, for the study of the injurious and useful plants of country and farm, by John W. Harshberger. .. with 121 illustrations. Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Son & Co., [c1920] url p. 235, p. 276.
- Text-book of physiological chemistry in thirty lectures, by Emil Abderhalden. .. tr. by William T. Hall. .. and George Defren. New York, J. Wiley & sons; [etc., etc.]1911. url p. 168, p. 708.
- Textbook of pastoral and agricultural botany, for the study of the injurious and useful plants of country and farm, by John W. Harshberger. .. with 121 illustrations. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co.[c1920] url p. 235, p. 235, p. 276.
- Textbook of theoretical botany, by R. C. McLean and W. R. Ivimey-Cook. London, Longmans, Green[1951- url p. 1052, p. 1696, p. 2187, p. 476.
- The Alumni journal. New York: Alumni Association of the College of Pharmacy of the City of New York, 1894-1896. url p. 98.
- The American botanist: a monthly journal for the plant lover. Binghamton, N.Y.: Willard N. Clute & Co., 1901-1948. url p. 30, p. 77.
- The Asa Gray bulletin. 3 1955-1961 Ann Arbor, Mich. url p. 124, p. 327, p. VIII, p. xii.
- The Bahama Islands / edited by George Burbank Shattuck. [Baltimore]: Johns Hopkins Press; 1905. url , , , p. 211, p. 268, p. 268, p. 607.
- The Bahama Islands, London, The Macmillan company, 1905. url p. 211, p. 268, p. 606, p. 607.
- The Bermuda islands: an account of their scenery, climate, productions, physiography, natural history and geology, with sketches of their discovery and early history, and the changes in their flora and fauna due to man; with 38 plates and over 250 cuts in the text / by Addison E. Verrill. New Haven, Conn.: The author, 1902. url p. 507.
- The California fruits and how to grow them; a manual of methods which have yielded greatest success, with the lists of varieties best adapted to the differenct districts of the state, by Edward J. Wickson. San Francisco, Pacific Rural Press, 1921. url p. 407, p. 407.
- The Collecting net. Woods Hole, Mass., The Collecting net url p. 121.
- The Commission of Plant Sanitation and its work. Habana, Impr. P. Fernandez y ca., 1917. url .
- The Cuba review. New York: Munson Steamship Line, 1907-1931. url p. 26.
- The Ecology of arboreal folivores: a symposium held at the Conservation and Research Center, National Zoological Park, Smithsonian Institution, May 29-31, 1975 / Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1978. url p. 566.
- The Great Rift Valley: being the narrative of a journey to Mount Kenya and Lake Baringo: with some account of the geology, natural history, anthropology and future prospects of British East Africa / J.W. Gregory. London: J. Murray, 1896. url p. 286.
- The Hawaiian forester and agriculturist. Honolulu: Hawaiian Gazette Co., 1904-1933. url , , p. 132, p. 237, p. 290, p. 292, p. 303.
- The Helminthosporium foot-rot of wheat: with observations on the morphology of Helminthosporium and on the occurrence of saltation in the genus / by F. L. Stevens. Urbana, Ill.: Dept. of Registration and Education, Division of Natural History Survey, 1922. url p. 173.
- The Journal of heredity. Washington, etc., American Genetic Association url p. 291, p. 291, p. 33.
- The Journal of the Board of Commissioners of Agriculture. San Juan: [Board of Commissioners of Agriculture, 1917]. url , , p. 10, p. 164, p. 193, p. 194, p. 217, p. 219, p. 227.
- The Mediterranean fruit fly [Ceratitis capitata Wied.] Washington, Govt. print. off., 1918. url p. 12.
- The Microthyriaceae, Urbana, The University of Illinois press, 1939. url p. 76.
- The Monthly bulletin of the State Commission of Horticulture. Sacramento, Calif.: The Commission, 1911-1919. url p. 24, p. 455, p. 754.
- The Natural history of Enewetak Atoll / edited by Dennis M. Devaney. .. [et al.]; prepared by Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Department of Energy. Oak Ridge, Tenn.: U.S. Dept. of Energy, Office of Energy Research, Office of Health and Environmental Research, Ecological Research Division, c1987. url p. 22.
- The Natural history of Juan Fernandez and Easter Island / edited by Carl Skottsberg. Uppsala: Almqvist & Wiksells Boktryckeri, 1920-1956. url .
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 32.
- The Philippine journal of science. Manila: Bureau of Science url , , p. 100, p. 116, p. 137, p. 146, p. 166, p. 182, p. 199, p. 207, p. 222, p. 238, p. 264, p. 297, p. 32, p. 329, p. 363, p. 379, p. 382, p. 404, p. 41, p. 419, p. 421, p. 427, p. 428, p. 466, p. 548, p. 644, p. 653, p. 69, p. 78, p. 79, p. 93.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url , , p. 197, p. 3, p. 30.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 145, p. 167, p. 186, p. 331, p. 376, p. 384, p. 391, p. 43, p. 430, p. 456, p. 52, p. 54, p. 566, p. 575, p. 586, p. 588, p. 609, p. 627, p. 652, p. 666, p. 678, p. 681, p. 682, p. 692, p. 710, p. 718, p. 776, p. 794, p. 81.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 36 1954 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 1064.
- The cell, outlines of general anatomy and physiology, tr. by M. Campbell and edited by Henry Johnstone Campbell. London, Swan, 1909. url p. 151.
- The cell; outlines of general anatomy and physiology, by Dr. Oscar Hertwig. .. Tr. by M. Campbell, and ed. by Henry Johnstone Campbell. .. With 168 illustrations. London: Macmillan & Co., 1895. url p. 151.
- The commercial products of India: being an abridgment of The dictionary of the economic products of India / by Sir George Watt; published under the authority of His Majesty's secretary of state for India in council. London: J. Murray, 1908. url p. 269.
- The conservation and sustainable use of the crop genetic resources of Central America. A Darwin initiative funded project. Report on phase 1 WCMC url , p. 19.
- The days of a man, being memories of a naturalist, teacher and minor prophet of democracy. Yonkers-on-Hudson, N.Y.World book company1922 url p. 106.
- The days of a man: being memories of a naturalist, teacher, and minor prophet of democracy / Yonkers-on-Hudson, N. Y.: World Book Co., 1922. url .
- The diseases of tropical plants, by Melville Thurston Cook. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1913. url p. 133.
- The flora of Barro Colorado Island, Panama, by Paul C. Standley. City of Washington, The Smithsonian Institution, 1927. url p. 25.
- The flowering plants of Western India. London, W. H. Allen url p. 125.
- The fundamentals of fruit production, by Victor Ray Gardner, Frederick Charles Bradford and Henry Daggett Hooker, jr. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1922. url p. 405, p. 405.
- The gardens' bulletin, Straits Settlements. Singapore: Straits Times Press, 1913-1941. url , , p. 206.
- The geography of plants / by M. E. Hardy. Oxford: Clarendon press, 1920. url p. 318, p. 318, p. 320, p. 320.
- The handbook of horticulture and viticulture of Western Australia / Perth, F. W. Simpson, government printer, 1921. url .
- The life of the plant, Bombay, Longmans, Green, and Co., 1912. url .
- The life of the plant, by C. A. Timiriazeff. .. Tr. from the rev. and cor. 7th Russian ed., by Miss Anna Chéréméteff. Bombay, andLongmans, Green, and co., 1912. url p. 68.
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 12, p. 549, p. 550, p. 567, p. 865, p. 897.
- The medicinal plants of the PHilippines, by T. H. Pardo de Tavera. .. tr. and rev. by Jerome B. Thomas, jr. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co.1901. url , .
- The medicinal plants of the Philippines / by T. H. Pardo de Tavera; translated and revised by Jerome B. Thomas. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co., 1901. url p. 123, p. 125.
- The mosquitoes of North and Central America and the West Indies, Washington, D. C., Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1912-1917. url .
- The natural history of Juan Fernandez and Easter Island / edited by Carl Skottsberg. Uppsala: Almqvist & Wiksells Boktryckeri, 1920- url p. 179.
- The pathogenicity and interrelationship of Pratylenchus coffeae and Phythium splendens on Chinese evergreen / by Kenneth Arlen Noegel. 1972. url p. 5.
- The physiology of plants. a treatise upon the metabolism and sources of energy in plants, ed. by A.J. Ewart. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1900-6. url .
- The physiology of plants; a treatise upon the metabolism and sources of energy in plants, by Dr. W. Pfeffer. .. 2d fully rev. ed., translated and edited by Alfred J. Ewart. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1900-06. url p. 609.
- The silva of North America a description of the tree which grow naturally in North America exclusive of Mexico / by Charles Sprague Sargent; illustrated with figures and analyses drawn from nature by Charles Edward Faxon. Boston;Houghton, Mifflin, 1902 url .
- The silva of North America: a description of the trees which grow naturally in North America exclusive of Mexico /by Charles Sprague Sargent. .. illustrated with figures and analyses drawn from nature by Charles Edward Faxon. .. 14 1902 Boston, New York: Houghton, Mifflin and company, 1891-1902. url p. 5, p. 8.
- The taxonomy of the Myzini (Homoptera: Aphididae) of the Eastern United States / 1971. url p. 65.
- The useful plants of the island of Guam; with an introductory account of the physical features and natural history of the island, of the character and history of its people, and of their agriculture / by William Edwin Safford. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url , , , p. 212, p. 215, p. 216, p. 270, p. 346.
- The vegetation of Mona Island, a paper read by invitation at the twenty-fifth anniversary celebration of the Missouri Botanical Garden, October 15, 1914. St Louis, 1915. url p. 45.
- The vegetation of south Florida south of 27 30 north, exclusive of the Florida keys, by John W. Harshberger. Philadelphia, Wagner Free Institute of Science, 1914. url p. 119, p. 153, p. 73.
- The vitamins / by H.C. Sherman and S.L. Smith. New York: The Chemical Catalog Company, inc., 1931. url p. 192.
- The weekly florists' review. Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co., 1897-1912. url p. 593.
- Tobacco and its use in Africa / by Berthold Laufer, Wilfrid D. Hambly, and Ralph Linton; 6 plates in photogravure. Chicago:Field Museum of Natural History, 1930. url p. 167.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 120, p. 274, p. 299, p. 306.
- Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. Springfield, Ill., Illinois State Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 215.
- Trees and shrubs of Mexico / By Paul C. Standley. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1920-1926. url p. 850, p. 851, p. 852.
- Treubia. Batavia: G. Kolff, 1919- url p. 111.
- Tropical agriculture: the climate, soils, cultural methods, crops, live stock, commercial importance and opportunities of the tropics / London: D. Appleton and Company, 1916. url .
- Tropical agriculture; the climate, soils, cultural methods, crops, live stock, commercial importance and opportunities of the tropics / by Earley Vernon Wilcox. London: D. Appleton and Company, 1916. url p. 118.
- University of Iowa studies in natural history. Iowa City, Iowa: The University, 1918-1948. url .
- Useful plants of the Siona and Secoya Indians of eastern Ecuador / William T. Vickers, Timothy Plowman. 15 1984 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1984. url p. 8.
- Veterinary materia medica and therapeutics / Chicago: American Veterinary Pub. Co., c1919. url .
- Veterinary medicines 1911 url p. 692.
- Wanderings in South America, the North-west of the United States, and the Antilles, in the years 1812, 1816, 1820, & 1824. With original instructions for the perfect preservation of birds, etc., for cabinets of natural history. London, Macmillan, 1907. url .
- Wanderings in the great forests of Borneo; travels and researches of a naturalist in Sarawak, London, A. Constable & co., ltd, 1904. url p. 26, p. 415, p. 421.
- West African forests and forestry / London: T.F. Unwin, ltd.,  url .
- West African forests and forestry, by A. Harold Unwin. .. with 110 illustrations by the author. London, T. F. Unwin, ltd. url p. 437.
- William Bartram, interpreter of the American landscape, Baltimore, The Johns Hopkins Press, 1933. url .
- World directory of hydrobiological and fisheries institutions. Washington, D.C.: American Institute of Biological Sciences, 1963. url p. 10.
- Zambezia: a general description of the valley of the Zambezi River, from its delta to the River Aroangwa, with its history, agriculture, flora, fauna, and ethnography / London: J. Murray, 1910. url , .
- [Pamphlets on agriculture in Guam] S.l.: s.n., 1905-1916 url p. 21, p. 212, p. 215, p. 270.
- [Publications] - Bureau of Government Laboratories. Manila, Bureau of Public Printing, 1903-1906. url p. 133, p. 19, p. 49, p. 58.
- Chen Peishan. 1999. Caricaceae. In: Ku Tsuechih, ed., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 52(1): 121-122.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed March 27, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 14, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Botanical Research Institute of Texas, Andes to Amazon Biodiversity Program
- Comisión nacional para el conocimiento y uso de la biodiversidad, Banco Nacional de Germoplasma Vegetal, México
- Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden Virtual Herbarium Darwin Core format
- Herbarium of the University of Aarhus, The AAU Herbarium Database
- Herbier de la Guyane, Herbier de la Guyane
- Instituto Nacional de Biodiversidad
- , Biodiversidad de Costa Rica
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, Plants of Papua New Guinea
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 3873886
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-22324
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13741729
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:674295-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 9147
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 22324
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 159747-3
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PDCRC01010
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: PACA27
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 28491
- Yinzheng Wang & Nicholas J. Turland "Caricaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 13 Page 150. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Carica". in Flora of China Vol. 13 Page 150. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]