or rarely climbing
, verticillately branched, dendritic
, or rarely simple
or 4-angled. Leaves opposite or in 3s. Cymes axillary
, sessile or pedunculate
; bracts linear
. Calyx campanulate
or minutely 4-dentate, unaltered in fruit. Corolla actinomorphic
, campanulate or tubular
4. Stamens 4, inserted
on corolla tube
slender, often exserted; anthers
, dehiscing by longitudinal
slits or circular pores
. Ovary imperfectly 2-locular; ovules 2 per locule, attached to middle
or distal part of ovary. Style usually longer
than stamens; stigma usually dilated
. Fruit a small globose
drupe, endocarp bony, mesocarp
thin. Seeds small, oblong; seed coat
membranous; cotyledons fleshy.
About 140 species: mainly in tropical and subtropical Asia, few in tropical America and Africa, and very few in temperate Asia and North America; 48 species in China.
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Vascular Plants
Publishing author : Hort. ex Lem. Publication : Ill. Hort. vi. t. 202 (1859), non olim .
Members of the genus Callicarpa
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 21 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
C. acuminata (Beautyberry) · C. americana (American Beauty Berry) · C. americana caroliniana (American Beautyberry) · C. americana var. ampla (American Beautyberry) · C. ampla (Cap Rosa) · C. bodinieri (Bodinier Beautyberry) · C. bodinieri var. giraldii (Beautyberry) · C. bodinieri var. giraldii 'Profusion' (Beautyberry) · C. cathayana (China Beautyberry) · C. dichotoma (Chinese Beauty-Berry) · C. dichotoma 'Albifructus' (White Beautyberry) · C. dichotoma 'Early Amethyst' (Early Amethyst Purple Beautyberry) · C. dichotoma 'Issai' (Japanese Beautyberry) · C. japonica (Japanese Beautyberry) · C. japonica var. luxurians (Japanese Beautyberry) · C. japonica 'Issai' (Issai Purple Beautyberry) · C. japonica 'Leucocarpa' (Japanese Beautyberry) · C. japonica 'Zhou Zhou Fuchsia' (Japanese Beautyberry) · C. kwangtungensis (China Beautyberry) · C. mollis (Japanese Beautyberry) · C. shikokiana (China Beautyberry)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A manual of gardening for Bengal and Upper India. By Thomas A. C. Firminger. .. Calcutta, Thacker, Spink and co.; [etc., etc.]1874. url p. 531.
- A partial list of plants available for various uses in general landscape planting, comp. by Albert D. Taylor. Cleveland, A.D. Taylor, c1916 url p. 16, p. 18, p. 31, p. 31, p. 35, p. 35.
- About trees, shrubs, and climbing plants for South Africa; concise hints on the making of farm plantations, shrubberies. .. Maritzburg, 1919. url p. 71.
- American forests. Washington [etc.]American Forestry Association [etc.] url p. 765.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 99.
- Andorra hand-book [of trees and shrubs] Philadelphia url p. 71.
- Annual report of the Hatch Experiment Station of the Massachusetts Agricultural College. [S.l.: s.n.], 1889-1906 url p. 121.
- Biltmore Nursery, Biltmorse, N.C. [North Carolina?: The Nursery?], c1912 url p. 59, p. 60.
- Botanical publications of E.D. Merrill. [New York, etc., 1899- url .
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 1 1898 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 141, p. 235.
- Flora Indica, or, Descriptions of Indian plants / by the late William Roxburgh. Serampore: Printed for W. Thacker, 1832. url p. 395.
- Flora of Delaware and the Eastern Shore: an annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of the peninsula of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. [Wilmington]: Society of Natural History of Delaware, 1946. url p. 218.
- Flora of Japan: in English: combined, much revised and extended translation / by the author of his Flora of Japan (1953) and Flora of Japan, Pteridophyta (1957); edited by Frederick G. Meyer and Egbert H. Walker. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965. url p. 764.
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url , , , , , .
- Flower gardening, by H. S. Adams. New York, McBride, Nast & Company, 1913. url p. 173.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url , , , , p. 222, p. 356, p. 357, p. 358, p. 396, p. 410, p. 429, p. 439, p. 489, p. 534.
- Garden guide, the amateur gardener's handbook; how to plan, plant and maintain the home grounds, the suburban garden, the city lot. How to grow gook vegetables and fruit. How to care for roses and other favorite flowers, hardy plants, trees, shrub ed. by J. Harrison Dick... New York, A. T. De La Mare company, inc.1917 url p. 28.
- Garden guide; the amateur gardeners' handbook. Profusely illustrated with over 275 teaching plans and diagrams and reproduced photographs, all made expressly for this standard text book. Edited by A. T. De La Mare. New York, A. T. De La Mare[c1920] url p. 32.
- Gardeners' chronicle of America. New York: Chronicle Press, 1905-1950. url p. 255.
- Gardening. Chicago, the Gardening Co., 1892-1925. url p. 197, p. 341, p. 358.
- Greenhouse & stove plants; flowering and fine-leaved, palms, ferns, and lycopodiums, with full details of the propagation and cultivation of 500 families of plants, embracing all the best kinds in cultivation, suitable for grow London, J. Murray, 1885. url p. 351, p. 88.
- Greenhouse and stove plants, flowering and fine-leaved, palms, ferns, and lycopodiums, with full details of the propagation and cultivation of 500 families of plants: embracing all the best kinds in cultivation, suitable for growing in the greenhouse, intermediate house, and stove / by Thomas Baines. London: J. Murray, 1894. url p. 351, p. 88.
- Hooker, W. J. & G. A. W. Arnott. The botany of Captain Beechey's voyage;comprising an acount of the plants collected by Messrs. Lay and Collie, and other officers of the expedition, during the voyage to the Pacific and Behring's Strait, performed in His Majesty's ship Blossom, under the command of Captain F. W. Beechey. .. in the years 1825, 26, 27, and 28.By Sir William Jackson Hooker. .. and G. A. Walker Arnott. .. 1841 London, H. G. Bohn, 1841. url p. 268.
- How to make a country place; an account of the successes and the mistakes of an amateur in thirty-five years of farming, building and development: together with a practical plan for securing a home and an independent income, star New York, Orange Judd company; [etc., etc.]1914. url p. 367.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 5 1904 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 147, p. 58.
- Landscape garden series, ed. by Ralph Rodney Root. Davenport, Ia.: The Garden Press,  url p. 16.
- Landscape gardening. New York [etc.]G. P. Putnam's sons, 1891. url p. 319.
- Landscape gardening. Notes and suggestions on lawns and lawn planting--laying out and arrangement of country places, large and small parks, cemetery plots, and railway-station lawns--deciduous and evergreen trees and shru New York, G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1891. url .
- Lists of plant types for landscape planting; the materials of planting for ornament listed according to their various uses, by Stephen F. Hamblin. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1923. url , , , , , , p. 33, p. 56, p. 60, p. 63, p. 70.
- Making the grounds attractive with shrubbery, New York, McBride, Nast & company, 1912. url p. 50.
- Meehan's monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany, and kindred subjects. Phila., PA: T. Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url , , .
- Meehans' monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany and kindred subjects / conducted by Thomas Meehan. Philadelphia: Thomas Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url , p. 114, p. 152, p. 48.
- Memoirs of the Horticultural Society of New York. [New York]: The Society, c1904-c1927. url p. 133.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 1 1884-1888 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 242.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 3 1903 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 11, p. 3, p. 4.
- Pages from a garden note-book, New York, Scribner, 1921. url p. 157.
- Parks: a manual of municipal and county parks compiled as a result of a nation-wide study of municipal and county parks conducted by the Playground and Recreation Association of America, in co-operation with edited by L.H. Weir. New York: A.S. Barnes & Co., 1928. url p. 681, p. 682, p. 689, p. 691, p. 692.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 103, p. 165, p. 303, p. 366, p. 379, p. 480, p. 483, p. 484, p. 486, p. 487, p. 49.
- Plans for pleasant home surroundings Harrisburg, Pa., J. H. McFarland co., horticultural printers, 1903 url p. 21.
- Plant culture; a working hand-book of every day practice for all who grow flowering and ornamental plants in the garden and greenhouse, by George W. Oliver. New York, A. T. De La Mare Printing and Publishing Co., c1912. url , p. 232, p. 232.
- Plant culture; a working handbook of every day practice for all who grow flowering and ornamental plants in the garden and greenhouse, New York, A. T. De La Mare Co., Inc.[c1921] url .
- Plant propagation; being a description of the various methods employed by both amateur and professional gardeners. Written and comp. by Walter Davis, London"The Bazaar, exchange & mart" office1922 url p. 96.
- Plantae Wilsonianae; an enumeration of the woody plants collected in western China for the Arnold arboretum of Harvard university during the years 1907, 1908, and 1910, by E. H. Wilson, ed. by Charles Sprague Sargent. Cambridge, University Press, 1913-17. url p. 370, p. 590.
- Practical landscape gardening: the importance of careful planning, locating the house, arrangement of walks and drives, construction of walks and drives, lawns and terraces, how to plant a property, laying out a flower garden, arch New York, A.T. De La Mare Company, inc., 1916. url , .
- Practical landscape gardening; the importance of careful planning, locating the house, arrangement of walks and drives, construction of walks and drives, lawns and terraces, how to plant a property, laying out a flower garden, arch by Robert B. Cridland. New York, A.T. De La Mare Company, inc., 1918. url p. 253, p. 259, p. 85.
- Proceedings of the International conference on plant hardiness and acclimatization, 1907, held in the rooms of the American institute of the city of New York and in the Museum building of the New York botanical garden, october 1st to 3rd, 1907. [New York?]c1910. url p. 133.
- Reports of the Director. .. / Experimental Farms. Ottawa: Experimental Farms, 1888-1916. url p. 298.
- Sargent, C. S. Plantae Wilsonianae: an enumeration of the woody plants collected in western China for the Arnold arboretum of Harvard university during the years 1907, 1908, and 1910 /by E. H. Wilson, ed. by Charles Sprague Sargent. 3 1917 Cambridge: The University press, 1913-17. url p. 370, p. 590.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 37.
- Success in gardening; work in the flower garden week by week, New York, Duffield & company, 1913. url p. 245.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 1130, p. 1212, p. 167, p. 398, p. 4, p. 481, p. 490, p. 495, p. 829, p. 881, p. 887.
- The American flower garden / by Neltje Blanchan; planting lists by Leonard Barron; illustrated with one hundred full-page photographs. New York: Doubleday, Page & Company, 1909. url , p. 182, p. 182, p. 363.
- The American flower garden, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1909. url p. 363.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 345, p. 386, p. 695, p. 754.
- The California horticulturist and floral magazine. San Francisco, Cal.: F.A. Miller & Co., [1870- url p. 25, p. 25.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url , , p. 1033, p. 1073, p. 115, p. 1196, p. 1304, p. 1328, p. 1350, p. 1454, p. 285, p. 319, p. 371, p. 429, p. 433, p. 45, p. 539, p. 694, p. 700, p. 757, p. 761, p. 77, p. 855, p. 938, p. 993.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 12, p. 126, p. 13, p. 15, p. 153, p. 181, p. 196, p. 207, p. 23, p. 239, p. 24, p. 272, p. 276, p. 282, p. 284, p. 301, p. 303, p. 335, p. 348, p. 354, p. 368, p. 37, p. 391, p. 408, p. 41, p. 410, p. 419, p. 436, p. 442, p. 471, p. 481, p. 491, p. 491, p. 496, p. 498, p. 517, p. 521, p. 523, p. 540, p. 555, p. 558, p. 560, p. 602, p. 609, p. 617, p. 650, p. 8.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url , p. 101, p. 327, p. 327, p. 327, p. 327.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 173, p. 189, p. 203, p. 331.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , , , , , , , p. 101, p. 103, p. 104, p. 12, p. 165, p. 192, p. 216, p. 226, p. 243, p. 270, p. 283, p. 292, p. 296, p. 296, p. 298, p. 30, p. 307, p. 307, p. 324, p. 326, p. 332, p. 345, p. 390, p. 4, p. 40, p. 402, p. 420, p. 456, p. 502, p. 503, p. 504, p. 506, p. 602, p. 642, p. 645, p. 662, p. 724, p. 727, p. 741, p. 89.
- The Horticulturist and journal of rural art and rural taste. Albany, N.Y.: Luthur Tucker, 1846/1847-1875 url p. 150.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url , p. 6, p. 6, p. 6, p. 674, p. 715, p. 716.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 135, p. 528.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 26 1889-90 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 252, p. 254.
- The Philippine journal of science. 13 1918 Manila. url p. 156.
- The Verbenaceæ of the Malayan archipelago: together with those from the Malayan peninsula, the Philippines, the Bismark-archipelago, and the Palau-, Marianne- and Caroline-islands. .. / Groningen: M. de Waal, 1919. url , , .
- The book of hardy flowers; a simple and complete descriptive guide to the cultivation in gardens of the trees and shrubs, perennial and annual flowers, that are hardy, or are suitable for planting out-of-doors in summer in temp Ed. by H. H. Thomas. .. Beautifully illustrated with thirty-two direct color photographs by H. Essenhigh Corke and sixty-four half-tone plates. 1915 New York, Funk & Wagnalls company; [etc., etc.] url p. 79.
- The complete garden, by Albert D. Taylor, assisted by Gordon D. Cooper. Illustrated with fifty full page cuts, four line charts, and nine coloured plates. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1921. url p. 128, p. 130, p. 130, p. 162, p. 162, p. 323, p. 323, p. 329, p. 329.
- The complete home landscape, by Arthur J. Jennings, in collaboration with Leonard H. Johnson. New York, A. T. De La Mare, 1924. url p. 125.
- The complete illustrated book of garden magic. Chicago, J.G. Ferguson Pub. Co. url p. 70.
- The conservation of the wild life of Canada / by C. Gordon Hewitt. New York: C. Scribner's Sons, 1921. url p. 186.
- The culture of pot-plants in rooms, greenhouses, & frames, by Hugh C. Davidson. London, C. Lockwood, 1922. url p. 89.
- The florist, fruitist, and garden miscellany. London: Chapman and Hall, 1852- url p. 9.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 1801, p. 2690, p. 2694, p. 2696, p. 2697, p. 2699, p. 3583.
- Trees & shrubs for English gardens. [London]"Country life", 1908. url p. 643.
- Window gardening. Devoted specially to the culture of flowers and ornamental plants, for indoor use and parlor decoration. Ed. by Henry T. Williams. New York, H. T. Williams, 1878, c1871. url p. 258.
- Window gardening: devoted specially to the culture of flowers and ornamental plants for indoor use and parlor decoration / edited by Henry T. Williams. New York: H.T. Williams, 1872. url p. 258.
- Winter botany, a companion volume to the author's Plant materials of decorative gardening, by William Trelease. .. Urbana, The author, 1918. url p. 331.
- Winter botany, by William Trelease. .. Urbana, The author, 1918. url p. 331.
- P'ei Chien & Chen Shou-liang, eds. 1982. Verbenaceae. Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 65(1): 1-229.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.