Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Arabic:
Common Names in Chinese:
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Rattan, Climbing Palm, Rambling Palm, Rattan Cane, Rotang Palm, Sweet Segde
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hindi:
Chachi Bet, चाचीबेट
Common Names in Italian:
Canna D´india, Finocchio D´india, Palma Liana, Rotang
Common Names in Portuguese:
Common Names in Russian:
Rotang, Rotangovaia Pal´ma
Common Names in Spanish:
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Arecanae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Arecidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Angiospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Publishing author : L. Publication : Sp. Pl. 1: 325 1753 [1 May 1753]
Members of the genus Calamus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 22 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
C. australis (Wait-A-While) · C. caesius (Calamus) · C. caryotoides (Fishtail Lawyer Cane) · C. ciliaris (Ciliate Rattan Palm) · C. deerratus (Calamus) · C. flabellatus (Fan-Shaped Rattan Palm) · C. javensis (Java Slender-Caned Rattan) · C. manan (Manan Rattan Palm) · C. melanoloma (Slender-Caned Rattan) · C. microcarpus (Philippines Small-Fruited Rattan) · C. moti (Yellow Lawyer Cane) · C. muelleri (Southern Lawyer Cane) · C. ornatus (Long-Spiny-Flagella Rattan Palm) · C. platyacanthos (Java Rattan) · C. platyacanthus (Chinese Rattan) · C. polystachys (Ant Rattan) · C. radicalis (Viscious Hairy Mary) · C. rotang (Rattan) · C. scipionum (Stick Rattan Palm) · C. simplicifolius (Hainan Province Rattan) · C. tetradactylus (White Rattan) · C. viminalis (Osier-Like Rattan Palm)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A descriptive catalogue of useful fiber plants of the world: including the structural and economic classifications of fibers / by Charles Richards Dodge. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1897. url p. 102, p. 105, p. 279.
- A dictionary of popular names of the plants which furnish the natural and acquired wants of man, in all matters of domestic and general economy. Their history, products, & uses, by John Smith. London, Macmillan, 1882. url p. 84.
- A manual of gardening for western and southern India, by R. Riddell. Ed. and rev. by Lieutenant-colonel Boddam. Madras: Higginbotham and co., 1884. url p. 111.
- A manual of scientific terms, pronouncing, etymological, and explanatory, chiefly comprising terms in botany, natural history, anatomy, medicine, and veterinary science, with an appendix of specific names. Designed for the use of by Rev. James Stormonth Edinburgh, Maclachlan and Stewart, 1885 url p. 59.
- A naturalist in Brazil; the record of a year's observation of her flora, her fauna, and her people, by Konrad Guenther. .. translated by Bernard Miall. .. Boston, Houghton Mifflin Company, 1931. url p. 393.
- Ad orientem. By A.D. Frederickson, F.R.G.S. With illustrations from the author's sketch-book. London: W.H. Allen & Co., 1889. url p. 278, p. 387.
- An historical, geographical, commercial, and philosophical view of the United States of America, and of the European settlements in America and the West-Indies. New York: Printed by Tiebout and O'Brien, for John Reid, 1796. url p. 402.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 396.
- Annals of the Royal Botanic Garden, Calcutta. Calcutta: Bengal Secretariat Book Depot, 1888- url , p. 269, p. 40.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 526.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 180.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url .
- Catalogue of economic plants in the collection of the U. S. Department of Agriculture. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1891. url .
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 124, p. 274, p. 894.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 124, p. 274, p. 894.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 115, p. 116, p. 117, p. 118.
- Dictionary of arts, manufactures, and mines containing a clear exposition of their principles and practice by Robert Hunt, assisted by F.W. Rudler. London, Longmans, 1875-78. url p. 693, p. 70.
- Flora Vitiensis nova: a new Flora of Fiji (spermatophytes only) / Albert C. Smith. Lawaii, Hawaii: Pacific Tropical Botanical Garden, 1979- url p. 406.
- Gardening in Florida, Jacksonville, C. W. Da Costa, 1885. url p. 195.
- Glimpses into the life of Indian plants: an elementary Indian botany / by I. Pfleiderer. Mangalore: Basel Mission Book and Tract Depository, 1916. url p. 146, p. 287.
- Hand-book of Indian flora; being a guide to all the flowering plants hitherto described as indigenous to the continent of India. [Madras?]Trabancore Sircar Press, 1864-69. url , , , .
- Harmsworth's Universal encyclopedia, written by the leading authorities in every branch of knowledge and edited by J.A. Hammerton. London, Educational Bk. Co.[n.d.] url p. 6499.
- Henderson's Handbook of plants and general horticulture / By Peter Henderson. New York, P. Henderson & Co., 1910. url p. 298.
- IUCN Directory of South Asian Protected Areas IUCN url p. 203, p. 282.
- Lectures on the physiology of plants / by Sydney Howard Vines. . Cambridge, Cambridgeshire: The University Press, 1886 url p. 686.
- Lepidoptera indica. By F. Moore. London, 1890-1913. url p. 163.
- Nature through microscope & camera by Richard Kerr. With sixty-five photo-micrographs by Arthur E. Smith. 2d impression. London, The Religious Tract Soc., 1909. url , p. 123, p. 129, p. 130, p. 131, p. 132, p. 195, p. 26, p. 28.
- Occasional papers of Bernice P. Bishop Museum. Honolulu, Bishop Museum Press, 1898-1984. url p. 10, p. 10, p. 28.
- Ornamental gardening in Florida, by Charles Torrey Simpson; a treatise on the decorative plants adapted to Florida and their cultivation, with suggestions for the ornamentation of Florida homes and grounds. Little River, Fla., The author, 1916. url p. 189, p. 189.
- Personal narrative of travels to the equinoctial regions of America, during the years 1799-1804 / by Alexander von Humboldt and Aimé Bonpland; translated from the French of Alexander von Humboldt and edited by Thomasina Ross. London: G. Bell, 1907. url p. 107.
- Popular science monthly. New York: D. Appleton, 1872-1950. url p. 373.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 30.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 336.
- Stray feathers. Journal of ornithology for India and its dependencies. Calcutta: s.n., 1872-1899. url p. 399.
- Sturtevant's notes on edible plants / Edited by U.P. Hedrick. Albany: J.B. Lyon, 1919. url p. 125.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 392, p. 394, p. 395, p. 396, p. 410, p. 43.
- The Palm tribes and their varieties. LondonReligious Tract Society url p. 158.
- The Philippine journal of science. 3 1908 Manila. url p. 304.
- The Popular science monthly. New York, Popular Science Pub. Co., etc. url p. 373.
- The desert world. From the French of Arthur Mangin. Edited and enlarged by the translator of "The bird, by Michelet." With 160 illustrations by W. Freeman, Foulquier, and Yan Dargent. London, T. Nelson, 1869. url p. 408.
- The dictionary of science and technical terms used in philosophy, literature, professions, commerce, arts, and trades / by W.M. Buchanan; with supplement edited by James A. Smith. London: G.Bell and Sons, 1884. url p. 181, p. 614.
- The flowering plants of Western India. London, W. H. Allen url p. 358.
- The gallery of nature and art; or, A tour through creation and science, LondonR. Wilks1818 url p. 169.
- The journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1832-1936 url p. 471.
- The palm tree / by S. Moody; with illustrations by the author. London: T. Nelson and Sons, Paternoster Row; Edinburgh, and New York, 1864. url p. 77.
- The tropical agriculturist. Colombo, Ceylon: A.M. & J. Ferguson, 1882- url p. 443.
- The view of Hindoostan. .. London: Printed by H. Hughs, 1798-1800. url p. 264, p. 86.
- Third American edition of the British encyclopedia, or Dictionary of arts and sciences: comprising an accurate and popular view of the present improved state of human knowledge / by William Nicholson. Philadelphia: Mitchell, Ames and White, 1818. url .
- Tropical agriculture: the climate, soils, cultural methods, crops, live stock, commercial importance and opportunities of the tropics / London: D. Appleton and Company, 1916. url , .
- Tropical agriculture; the climate, soils, cultural methods, crops, live stock, commercial importance and opportunities of the tropics / by Earley Vernon Wilcox. London: D. Appleton and Company, 1916. url p. 192, p. 362.
- Two years in the jungle: the experiences of a hunter and naturalist in India, Ceylon, the Malay Peninsula and Borneo / New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1910. url p. 128, p. 499.
- Vegetable substances: materials of manufactures / [published under the superintendence of the Society of the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge]. London: C. Knight, 1833. url p. 427.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2670663
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Kew-29891
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13764213
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:665387-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 8378
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 506711
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 665387-1
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: CARO32
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 26923