Common Names in English:
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of 8 meters (25 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- A. Pascher, 1914
- Green Algae
- Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Infraphylum: Tetraphytae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Subphylum: Chlorophytina () - Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Chlorophyta () - A. Pascher, 1914 - Green Algae
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Bryopsis plumosa var. nuda Homes • Ulva plumosa Hudson
Name Status: Accepted Name .
Members of the genus Bryopsis
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 6 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
B. hypnoides (Obana-Hanemo) · B. hypnoides arbuscula (Obana-Hanemo) · B. hypnoides lagunarum (Obana-Hanemo) · B. hypnoides praelongata (Obana-Hanemo) · B. hypnoides subnuda (Obana-Hanemo) · B. plumosa (Purple Laver)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... A preliminary catalogue of the flora of New Jersey. Comp. by N. L. Britton. .. with the assistance of eminent botanists. New Brunswick, Office of the survey, 1881. url p. 208.
- A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity / By Francis B. Sumner, Raymond C. Osburn, and Leon J. Cole. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1913 url p. 470, p. 804, p. 838.
- A catalogue of plants growing without cultivation in the County of Nantucket, Mass. Northampton, Mass., Gazette Printing Co., 1888. url p. 79.
- A catalogue of the British marine algae: being a list of all the species of seaweeds known to occur on the shores of the British Islands. .. / by E.A.L. Batters. [S.l.: s.n.], 1902 url p. 20.
- A course of practical instruction in botany, by F. O. Bower. London, Macmillan, 1891. url p. 524.
- A guide to Belfast and the counties of Down & Antrim / prepared for the meeting of the British Association by the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. Belfast: M'Caw, Stevenson & Orr, ltd., 1902. url p. 146.
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 75.
- A handbook of systematic botany / by Dr. E. Warming with a revision of the fungi by Dr. E. Knoblauch, tr. and ed. by M. C. Potter. New York: Macmillan & Co., 1895. url p. 60.
- A handbook to the marine aquarium: containing practical instructions for constructing, stocking, and maintaining a tank, and for collecting plants and animals / by Philip Henry Gosse. London: J. Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 19.
- A history of the British sea-anemones and corals / By Philip Henry Gosse. London: Van Voorst, 1860. url .
- A manual of the British marine Algae... By William Henry Harvey... London: J. Van Voorst, 1849. url p. 191, p. 194.
- A naturalist's rambles on the Devonshire coast / by Philip Henry Gosse. London: J. Van Voorst, 1853. url p. 204, p. 204, p. 451.
- A popular history of British sea-weeds, comprising their structure, fructification, specific characters, arrangement, and general distribution, with notices of some of the fresh-water Algae. By the Rev. D. Landsborough. .. London, Reeve and Benham, 1851. url p. 309, p. 310.
- A university text-book of botany. New York, Macmillan, 1910. url p. 113, p. 554.
- Actinologia Britannica: a history of the British sea-anemones and corals. LondonVan Voorst1860 url p. 63.
- An introduction to the study of Algae, by V. J. Chapman. New York, Macmillan;1941. url p. 88.
- An introduction to the study of seaweeds, London, Macmillan, 1895. url .
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 293, p. 293.
- Annual report of the State Botanist of the State of New York. Albany: Troy Press, 1889-1897. url .
- Annual report of the Trustees of the State Museum of Natural History for the year. .. Albany, N.Y.: The Trustees, 1886-1889. url p. 99.
- Annual report of the regents of the university of the state of New York on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 38, p. 74.
- Aquatic Phycomycetes. Ann Arbor, University of Michigan Press url p. 1074, p. 240, p. 807, p. 968.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 11 - 20 1929 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 41, p. 62.
- Botany; containing a catalogue of the indigenous and naturalized plants of the state, by Rev. M. A. Curtis. Raleigh, Printed at N. C. Institution for the deaf and dumb and blind, 1867. url p. 156.
- British sea-weeds: an introduction to the study of the marine algae of Great Britain, Ireland, and the Channel Islands / by Samuel Octavus Gray. London: L. Reeve & Co., 5 Henrietta Street, Covent Garden, 1867 url , , p. 246.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. 1879 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 270, p. 619.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1906 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 367.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1951-1992. url p. 126, p. 136, p. 157, p. 163, p. 164, p. 211, p. 90, p. 91.
- Bulletin of the Bureau of Fisheries. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905-1950. url p. 393, p. 398, p. 399, p. 431, p. 470, p. 529.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 47 1920 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 103, p. 104, p. 106, p. 135, p. 136, p. 322, p. 588.
- By the deep sea. A popular introduction to the wild life of the British shores, by Edward Step; with 122 illustrations by P.H. Gosse [and others] London, Jarrold & Sons, 1896. url , , .
- Catalogue of plants found in New Jersey. Trenton, John L. Murphy Pub. Co., 1889. url .
- Catalogue of the collection to illustrate the animal resources and the fisheries of the United States, exhibited at Philadelphia in 1876 by the Smithsonian Institution and the United States Fish Commission, and forming a part of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1879. url p. 270.
- Chapters on the common things of the sea-coast. By Anne Pratt. London, Society for promoting Christian knowledge, 1856. url p. 166.
- Contributions from the Bermuda Biological Station for Research. Cambridge, Mass.: [s.n.], July 1904- url p. 60, p. 61.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1892- url , .
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 9 1905 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 203, p. 52.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 9 1969 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 132, p. 229, p. 231, p. 235, p. 240, p. 243, p. 245, p. 247, p. 248, p. 250, p. 253, p. 254.
- Contributions to North American ichthyology. Based primarily on the collections of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1877-78. url p. 270.
- Contributions towards a fauna and flora of the county of Cork, read at the meeting of the British association held at Cork in the year 1843. The Vertebrata by Dr. Harvey. The Mollusca, Crustacea and Echinodermata by J.D. Humphreys. The flora by Dr. Power. (Published by the Cuvierian society of Cork) London, J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 115.
- Current bibliography for aquatic sciences and fisheries. London, Taylor & Francis ltd. url p. 48.
- Ecology and Taxonomy of Halimeda: Primary Producer of Coral Reefs London: Academic Press; 1980. url p. 324, p. 66, p. 67.
- Essex naturalist: being the journal of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex, The Club. url p. 9.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 20.
- Fifty years of botany; golden jubilee volume of the Botanical Society of America, edited by William Campbell Steere. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1958. url p. 569.
- Flora hibernica, comprising the flowering plants, ferns, Characeæ, Musci, Hepaticæ, Lichenes and Algæ of Ireland, arranged according to the natural system with a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnæan system, by James Townsend Mackay. Dublin, Simpkin, Marshall and co.; [etc., etc.]1836. url p. 233.
- Flora hibernica: comprising the flowering plants, ferns, Characeæ, Musci, Hepaticæ, Lichenes and Algæ of Ireland: arranged according to the natural system with a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnæan system by James Townsend Mackay. Dublin: W. Curry jun., 1836. url p. 233.
- Flora of Guernsey and the lesser Channel Islands: namely, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, and the adjacent islets. London, Dulau, 1901. url p. 306, p. 404, p. 445.
- Flora of Middlesex County, Massachusetts, by L. L. Dame and F. S. Collins. Malden, Middlesex Institute, 1888. url p. 155, p. 155.
- Flora of southern and Lower California: a check-list of the flowering plants and ferns / by Charles Russell Orcutt. San Diego, Calif.: [s.n.], 1885. url p. 12.
- Geology of the county of Cape May, state of New Jersey. Trenton, Printed at the office of the True American, 1857. url , p. 154.
- Goldfish breeds and other aquarium fishes, their care and propagation: a guide to freshwater and marine aquaria, their fauna, flora and management. With 280 explanatory illustrations, printed with the text / by Herman T. Wolf... Philadelphia: Innes & sons, [c1908] url p. 298.
- Grammar and dictionary of the Yoruba language: with an introductory description of the country and people of Yoruba. / by the Rev. T.J. Bowen. [Washington]: Smithsonian Institution,  url p. 11, p. 139, p. 31, p. 32.
- Gray's school and field book of botany. Consisting of "Lessons in botany, " and "Field, forest, and garden botany, " bound in one volume. New York, American book company, 1901?, c1887 url p. 171.
- Half-hours at the sea-side; or, Recreations with marine objects, by Dr. J. E. Taylor. London, R. Hardwicke, 1872. url p. 48.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 173, p. 195, p. 222, p. 24, p. 258.
- Hooker, J. D. The botany of the Antarctic voyage of H.M. discovery ships Erebus and Terror in the Years 1839-1843: under the command of Captain Sir James Clark Ross /by Joseph Dalton Hooker. 2 1855 London: Reeve Brothers, 1844-60. url p. 261, p. 343.
- How to know the seaweeds; an illustrated manual for identifying the more common marine algae of both our Atlantic and Pacific coasts with numerous aids for their study. Dubuque, Iowa, W.C. Brown Co. url p. 73.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 323.
- Introduction to structural and systematic botany and vegetable physiology: being a 5th and rev. ed. of The botanical textbook, illustrated with over thirteen hundred woodcuts / by Asa Gray. New York: Ivison, Phinney & Co.; 1862, c1857. url p. 64.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 209, p. 51, p. 561, p. 591.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 14, p. 213, p. 231, p. 265, p. 303, p. 7, p. 71.
- Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge University Press [etc.] url p. 105, p. 12, p. 161, p. 296, p. 297, p. 300, p. 32, p. 422, p. 424.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url , p. 329, p. 667, p. 677, p. 72, p. 78, p. 793, p. 836.
- Manual of the natural history, geology and physics of Greenland and the neighbouring regions / prepared for the use of the Arctic expedition of 1875, under the direction of the Arctic Committee of the London: Printed for H.M.S.O., 1875. url .
- Marine Algae of Beaufort, N. C., and adjacent regions. By W. D. Hoyt. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1920. url p. 393, p. 398, p. 399, p. 400, p. 431, p. 529.
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 133, p. 906, p. 977.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 15 1914 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 39, p. 41.
- Mind in nature; or The origin of life, and the mode of development of animals. New York, Appleton, 1865. url p. 139.
- Monitoring the marine environment of Long Island Sound at Millstone Nuclear Power Station, Waterford, Connecticut: summary of studies prior to Unit 3 operation / [prepared by the Environmental Laboratory staff of Northeast Utilities Service Company]. [Waterford, Conn.]: Northeast Utilities,  url p. 17.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 150.
- Nereis Boreali-Americana: or, Contributions to a history of the marine Algae of North America Washington, D.C., Smithsonian Institution, 1852-58 [pt.2, 1852] url p. 11, p. 139, p. 31, p. 32.
- Oceanus. Woods Hole, Mass., Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution url p. 52.
- On the fauna and flora of the west of Scotland. Meeting at Glasgow, September, 1876. Glasgow, Blackie, 1876 url p. 145.
- Philosophical transactions. v. 1-177, 1665/66-1886. London [etc.] url p. 63.
- Phycologia Britannica, or, A history of British sea-weeds: containing coloured figures, generic and specific characters, synonymes, and descriptions of all the species of algae inhabiting the shores of the British Islands / by William Henry Harvey. London: Reeve Brothers, 1846-1851. url p. 10, p. 474, p. 9.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 117.
- Plants of Rhode Island: being an enumeration of plants growing without cultivation in the State of Rhode Island / by James L. Bennett. Providence, R.I.: Providence Press, 1888. url p. 101, p. 101.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url , , , p. 148.
- Proceedings of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Boston: Metcalf and Co., 1846-1958 url p. 377, p. 60, p. 61.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url , , , , p. 194, p. 207, p. 211, p. 215.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 194, p. 289, p. 93.
- Proceedings of the Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh. Edinburgh: The Society, 1858-1955 url p. 173.
- Proceedings of the Royal Society of Victoria. Melbourne: The Society, 1889- url p. 187.
- Publications - Puget Sound Biological Station. [Seattle?]Puget Sound Biological Station, University of Washington. url p. 223.
- Puget Sound Marine Station publications. Seattle?: Puget Sound Marine Station, University of Washington?, 1915-1917 url p. 223.
- Quarterly journal of microscopical science. London, J. and A. Churchill [etc.] url p. 248, p. 254, p. 315.
- Rambles on the Riviera, New York, C. Scribner's sons; [etc., etc.]1906. url .
- Rambles on the Riviera, by Eduard Strasburger. Translated from the German by O. and B. Comerford Casey, with 87 coloured illustrations by Louise Reusch. New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1906. url .
- Report of the Australian Association for the advancement of Science. Sidney, The Association. url p. 515.
- Report of the Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: James B. Lyon, State Printer, 1867-1924. url p. 99.
- Report of the Commissioner for. .. / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: G.P.O., 1874-1905. url , p. 199, p. 59, p. 60.
- Report on the conditions of the sea fisheries of the south coast of New England / United States Commission of Fish and Fisheries. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1873. url p. 292.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 123, p. 242.
- Report upon the fauna of Liverpool Bay and the neighboring seas, written by members of the Liverpool Marine Biology Committee, and edited by W.A. Herdman. London, Longmans, Green, 1886-1900. url p. 25.
- Report. Chicago url p. 390.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 229, p. 315.
- Sea mosses, a collector's guide and an introduction to the study of marine Algae. By A. B. Hervey. 1893 Boston, B. Whidden, 1893. url list of plates, page xiii.
- Sea mosses. A collector's guide and an introduction to the study of marine Algae. Boston, S. E. Cassino, 1882. url , .
- Sea mosses: a collector's guide and an introduction to the study of marine Algae / Boston: S.E. Cassino, c1881. url , .
- Sea-weeds, shells and fossils by Peter Gray and B. B. Woodward 1886 url p. 10.
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url p. 11, p. 139, p. 31, p. 32.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 23 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 270.
- Text-book of botany, morphological and physiological. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1882. url p. 49.
- Text-book of botany: morphological and physiological / by Julius Sachs; edited with an appendix, by Sydney H. Vines Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1883. url p. 49.
- Textbook of theoretical botany, by R. C. McLean and W. R. Ivimey-Cook. London, Longmans, Green[1951- url p. 91.
- The American journal of science. 6(2) 1848 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 40.
- The American monthly microscopical journal. New York: Romyn Hitchcock, 1880-1902. url p. 226.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 39, p. 489, p. 70, p. 70, p. 72, p. 72.
- The Bahama Islands / edited by George Burbank Shattuck. New York: Macmillan, 1905. url , p. 243, p. 243, p. 606.
- The Bahama Islands, London, The Macmillan company, 1905. url p. 243, p. 243, p. 605, p. 606.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 205, p. 303, p. 41, p. 420, p. 45.
- The British nature book; a complete handbook and guide to British nature study, embracing the mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, insects, plants, etc., in the United Kingdom, by S.N. Sedgwick. .. Edinburgh, T.C. & E.C. Jack, Ltd., 1922. url p. 466.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 322, p. 493.
- The English flora. London, Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1824-36. url p. 318.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 108.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society of London. London: Academic Press [etc.], 1865-1968. url p. 78.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 43 1915-17 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 164, p. 203, p. 443, p. 463, p. 488, p. 531.
- The Myxophyceae of Maryland, by Francis Drouet. 20 1939 Chicago, 1939 url p. 177.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url p. 4, p. 5, p. 6, p. 9.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 100, p. 513.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 178.
- The Scottish naturalist. Arbroath [etc.]T. Buncle & Co. [etc.] url p. 108.
- The Victoria history of the county of Kent; ed. by William Page. London, Constable, 1908- url p. 75.
- The algae of Bermuda, Cambridge, Mass., [American Academy of Arts and Sciences]1917. url .
- The algae of the Arctic Sea, a survey of the species, together with an exposition of the general characters and the development of the flora. Stockholm, Norstedt, 1883. url , , , , .
- The algae. London, Macmillan;1962. url p. 98, p. 99.
- The aquarium: an unveiling of the wonders of the deep sea. By Philip Henry Gosse. London, J. Van Voorst, 1856. url , p. 214, p. 268, p. 277.
- The aquarium: its inhabitants, structure, and management / by John Ellor Taylor. Edinburgh: John Grant, 1910. url p. 145.
- The aquarium; its inhabitants, structure & management. London, Hardwicke, 1876. url p. 145.
- The aquavivarium, fresh and marine: bbeing an account of the principles and objects involved in the domestic culture of water plants and animals / by E. Lankester. London: bRobert Hardwicke,  url p. 61.
- The book of nature study, ed. by J. Bretland Farmer. .. assisted by a staff of specialists. Fully illustrated. London, Caxton publishing company[1908?]-1909. url p. 227, p. 82, p. 85.
- The book of the aquarium and water cabinet; or Practical instructions on the formation, stocking, and management, in all seasons, of collections of fresh water and marine life. London, Groombridge, 1856. url p. 69, p. 75.
- The botanical text-book, an introduction to scientific botany, both structural and systematic. For colleges, schools, and private students. By Asa Gray. New York, Putnam, 1850. url p. 67.
- The common objects of the sea shore: including hints for an aquarium / by the Rev. J.G. Wood; with illustrations by G.B. Sowerby. London: Routledge, Warne & Routledge, 1860. url p. 131.
- The cytoplasm of the plant cell, by Alexandre Guilliermond. .. Authorized translation from the unpublished French manuscript, by Lenette Rogers Atkinson, PH. D. Foreword by William Seifriz. .. Waltham, Mass., Chronica Botanica Company, 1941. url p. 159, p. 235.
- The elements of botany for beginners and for schools / New York: American Book Co., c1887. url .
- The family aquarium;: or, Aqua vivarium. .. being a familiar and complete instructor upon the subject of the construction, fitting-up, stocking, and maintenance of the fluvial and marine aquaria. .. / By Henry D. Butler. New-York:: Dick & Fitzgerald, Publishers., c1858. url p. 89, p. 91.
- The flora of Essex County, Massachusetts. Salem, Essex Institute, 1880. url .
- The flora of Long Island. Lancaster, Pa.New Era Print., 1899. url .
- The fungi / by Frederick A. Wolf and Frederick T. Wolf. New York: J. Wiley,  url p. 461, p. 462.
- The green Algae of North America, [by Frank S. Collins] Tufts College, Mass., 1909. url p. 402, p. 462.
- The green Algae of North America, by Frank Shipley Collins. Tufts College, Mass., 1909. url p. 402, p. 462.
- The island of Nantucket: what it was and what it is: being a complete index and guide to this noted resort: containing descriptions of everything on or about the island in regard to which the visitor or resident may desire Boston: C.T. Dillingham, c1882. url p. 47.
- The marine Algæ of the Danish West Indies. Copenhagen, Printed by B. Luno, 1913-20. url , p. 223, p. 430, p. 490.
- The marine algae of the Pacific coast of North America / by William Albert Setchell and Nathaniel Lyon Gardner. Berkeley, Calif.: University of California Press, 1919-1925. url p. 157, p. 160, p. 161, p. 162, p. 336.
- The micrographic dictionary; a guide to the examination and investigation of the structure and nature of microscopic objects, by J. W. Griffith and Arthur Henfrey. London, J. Van Voorst, 1883. url , p. 122, p. 122, p. 844.
- The mysteries of the great deep: or, The physical, animal, geological & vegetable wonders of the ocean / by P.H. Gosse... Philadelphia: D. Rulison, 1866 url p. 11, p. 58.
- The mysteries of the great deep; Philadelphia, D. Rulinson, 1866. url p. 11.
- The native flora of the vicinity of Cold Spring Harbor, L.I., New York. n.p., 1925 url p. 54.
- The ocean. By P. H. Gosse. .. London, Society for promoting Christian knowledge[pref. 1845] url , p. 46.
- The ocean. Philadelphia, Parry & McMillan, 1856. url p. 11, p. 58.
- The physiology of plants. a treatise upon the metabolism and sources of energy in plants, ed. by A.J. Ewart. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1900-6. url p. 320, p. 324.
- The physiology of plants; a treatise upon the metabolism and sources of energy in plants, by Dr. W. Pfeffer. .. 2d fully rev. ed., translated and edited by Alfred J. Ewart. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1900-06. url p. 320, p. 324.
- The principles of biology / by Herbert Spencer. New York: D. Appleton, 1896. url p. 145.
- The principles of biology, by Herbert Spencer. New York: D. Appleton and company, [c1898-99] url p. 145.
- The principles of biology. By Herbert Spencer. .. New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1866-67. url p. 130.
- The principles of biology. New YorkD. Appleton1899-1902 url p. 145.
- The sea-beach at ebb-tide: a guide to the study of the seaweeds and the lower animal life found between tidemarks / by Augusta Foote Arnold. New York: The Century Co., 1901. url , p. 480, p. 59.
- The sea-beach at ebb-tide; a guide to the study of the seaweeds and the lower animal life found between tidemarks. New York, The Century co., 1901. url , .
- The sea-side and aquarium, or, Anecdote and gossip on marine zoology / by John Harper. Edinburgh: William P. Nimmo, 1858. url , p. 161.
- The sea-side book: being an introduction to the natural history of the British coasts / by W.H. Harvey. London: John Van Voorst, 1849. url p. 250.
- The sea-side book; being an introduction to the natural history of the British coasts. By W.H. Harvey. .. London: J. Van Voorst, 1857. url p. 317.
- The simple holocarpic biflagellate Phycomycetes, including a complete host index and bibliography. By John S. Karling. .. New York City, The Author, 1942. url p. 116, p. 64, p. 66.
- The useful plants of the island of Guam; with an introductory account of the physical features and natural history of the island, of the character and history of its people, and of their agriculture / by William Edwin Safford. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url p. 178, p. 203, p. 52.
- The vegetable kingdom; or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, LondonBradbury & Evans1853 url p. 11.
- The wonders of the great deep, or, The physical, animal, geological, and vegetable curiosities of the ocean / New York: J.W. Lovell, [188-] url , .
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 182, p. 223.
- Transactions and proceedings of the New Zealand Institute. 6 1873 Wellington: New Zealand Institute. url p. 235, p. 358.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 478.
- Transactions of the Botanical Society. Edinburgh: Botanical Society of Edinburgh, 1841-1891. url p. 336, p. 396, p. 448, p. 460.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 96.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Naturalists' Field Club. Edinburgh: The Club, 1886. url p. 265, p. 265.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London, 2nd series: Botany 7 1904-1913 London. url p. 170.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle upon Tyne. Newcastle: T. & J. Hodgson; 1831-1838. url p. 126.
- Transactions of the Tyneside Naturalists' Field Club. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: F. & W. Dodsworth, 1850-1864. url p. 281.
- Tropical marine algae of the Arthur Schott herbarium, by William Randolph Taylor. 20 1941 Chicago, 1941 url p. 90.
- University of California publications in botany. Berkeley, Calif., University of California Press, 1902-2001. url p. 160, p. 161, p. 162, p. 230, p. 336.
- World Atlas of Seagrasses UNEP-WCMC url p. 156.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 3 1892 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 148, p. 148, p. 218.
- Zoologische Jahrbücher. Jena [Germany]: G. Fischer, 1910-1993. url p. 388.
- [A biological survey of the waters of Woods Hole and vicinity. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1913] url p. 470.
- [Pamphlets on agriculture in Guam] S.l.: s.n., 1905-1916 url p. 203, p. 52.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal May 13, 2008:
- Biologische Anstalt Helgoland in the Foundation Alfred-Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research: AWI-Herbarium Marine Macroalgae
- European Environment Agency: EUNIS
- GBIF-Spain: Real Jardin Botanico, Madrid: MA-Algae
- GBIF-Sweden: Herbarium of Oskarshamn (OHN)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Bay of Fundy Species List (OBIS Canada)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Bolus Herbarium Algal Specimen Database (AfrOBIS)
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University: Taxonomic Information Sytem for the Belgian coastal area
- National Chemical Laboratory: Biological Collection, National Institute of Oceanography, Goa, India
- National Chemical Laboratory: IndOBIS, Indian Ocean Node of OBIS
- National Herbarium of New South Wales: NSW herbarium collection
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility: Botanical Museum, Copenhagen, the Phycology Herbarium
- UK National Biodiversity Network: Countryside Council for Wales - Benthic Marine data from CCW Technical Support (Research & Monitoring) Contracts
- UK National Biodiversity Network: Marine Conservation Society - Seasearch Marine Surveys
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2640181
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Alg-10
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2490700
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 181075