Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Chinese:
Hei Mai Zhuang Que Mai
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Bromegrass, Cheat, Cheat Bromus Secalinus, Cheatgrass, Chess, Chess Brome, Chess Bromegrass, Rye Brome, Ryebrome
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Brome Faux-Seigle, Brome Seigle
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Italian:
Bromo Segalino, Forasacco Delle Messi (Switzerland), Forasacco Segalino
Common Names in Japanese:
Karasu No Chahiki
Common Names in Portuguese:
Bromo-Centeio, Bromo-Centeio (Brazil), Capim-Cevadinha, Capim-Cevadinha (Brazil)
Common Names in Russian:
Koster Ržanoj, Koster Rzhanoi (Koster Ranoj), костер ржаной
Common Names in Spanish:
Bromo Del Centeno, Bromo Secalino, Pasto Valcheta
Common Names in Swedish:
or with rhizomes. Leaf sheaths
; leaf blades linear
, usually flat; ligules membranous. Panicles spreading
, branches scabrid
, elongated or arched. Spikelets
large, with 3 to many florets
, upper florets often sterile
; rachilla disarticulating
and between florets, scabrid or shortly hairy
; glumes unequal or subequal
, shorter than spikelet, lanceolate or nearly ovate
, (1-) 5-7-veined, apex acute or long acuminate or aristiform
; floret callus glabrous
or both sides thinly hairy; lemmas rounded
on back or compressed
to keel, 5-9(-11) -veined, herbaceous or nearly leathery, margins
often membranous, apex entire or 2-toothed; awn
or arising from lemma between teeth slightly under apex, rarely awnless or 3-awned; palea narrow, usually shorter than lemma, keels ciliate
or scabrid. Lodicules 2. Stamens 3. Ovary apex with appendage
; styles 2, arising from lower front of appendage. Caryopsis oblong
, apex hairy, adaxial
. Chromosomes large, x = 7, 2n = 14, 28, 42, 56, 70.
About 150 species: temperate regions , mainly in the N hemisphere, also on mountains in the tropics; 55 species (eight endemic, at least three introduced ) in China.
Species Bromus secalinus
, 30-60(-100) cm tall. Leaf sheaths
; leaf blades 5-15 cm × 3-6 mm, pubescent
; ligule 1-2
, 5-15 × 2-6 cm, oblique
subwhorled, up to 8 cm, each bearing 1-4 spikelets
. Spikelets narrowly
, 15-20 × 6-8 mm, florets
5-15, not overlapping at maturity;
rachilla internodes exposed; glumes
, firm, veins inconspicuous,
, lower glume 4-5 mm, 3-5-veined, upper glume 6-7 mm, 7-veined,
; lemmas elliptic
, 8-9 × 4-5 mm in side
, herbaceous, 7-veined, glabrous, margins
, apex obtuse,
from back below apex; awn
5-7 mm, shorter than lemma body,
; palea as long as or slightly shorter than lemma.
2 mm. Caryopsis ca. 5 × 1 mm, longitudinally inrolled,
brownish red. Fl.
and fr. May-Aug. 2n = 28. [source]
This species is adventive in many temperate countries as a field weed . [source]
Flowers: Bloom Period: March, April, May. • Flower Color: inconspicuous, none, pale green
Size: 24-36" tall.
Slopes , grassy places; 500-1500 m .
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,793 meters (0 to 9,163 feet).
Culture: Space 3-6" apart.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: Not Applicable (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Commelinidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Angiospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Avena secalina (L.) Salisb. • Avena secalina (Linnaeus) Salisbury • Bromus mollis Linnaeus var. secalinus (Linnaeus) Hudson • Bromus mollis var. secalinus (L.) Huds. • Bromus secalinus var. hirsutus Kindb. • Bromus secalinus var. hirtus (F. W. Schultz) Hegi • Forasaccus secali-nus (Linnaeus) Bubani • Forasaccus secalinus (L.) Bubani • Serrafalcus secalinus (Linnaeus) Babington.
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Bromus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 88 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
B. aleutensis (Aleutian Brome) · B. alopecuros (Roadside Brome) · B. alopecuros caroli-henrici (Weedy Brome) · B. anomalus (Nodding Bromegrass) · B. arenarius (Australian Brome) · B. arizonicus (Arizona Brome) · B. arvensis (Field Brome) · B. benekkenii (Brome) · B. berterianus (Chilean Brome) · B. biebersteinii (Meadow Brome) · B. briziformis (Rattlesnake Brome) · B. carinatus (California Brome) · B. catharticus (Prairie Grass) · B. ciliatus (Canadian Brome) · B. ciliatus var. ciliatus (Fringed Brome) · B. ciliatus var. richardsonii (Fringed Brome) · B. commutatus (Hairy Brome) · B. danthoniae (Oat Brome) · B. diandrus (Great Brome) · B. erectus (Erect Brome) · B. erectus erectus (Upright Brome) · B. frondosus (Weeping Brome) · B. grandis (Tall Brome) · B. grossus (Whiskered Brome) · B. hordaceus (Soft Chess) · B. hordeaceus (Soft Brome) · B. hordeaceus hordeaceus (Soft Brome) · B. hordeaceus molliformis (Soft Brome) · B. hordeaceus thominei (Soft Brome) · B. hordeaceus subsp. hordeaceus (Downy Brome) · B. hordeaceus subsp. molliformis (Soft Brome) · B. hordeaceus subsp. thominei (Soft Brome) · B. inermis (Awnless Brome) · B. inermis inermis (Awnless Brome) · B. inermis inermis var. inermis (Smooth Brome) · B. inermis pumpellianus (Pumpelly's Brome) · B. inermis pumpellianus var. pumpellianus (Pumpelly's Brome) · B. inermis var. arcticus (Awnless Brome) · B. inermis var. inermis (Smooth Brome) · B. inermis subsp. pumpellianus (Pumpelly's Brome) · B. inermis 'Skinner's Gold' (Skinner's Gold Smooth Brome) · B. japonicus (Japanese Brome) · B. kalmii (Arctic Brome) · B. laevipes (Chinook Brome) · B. lanatipes (Woolly Brome) · B. lanceolatus (Mediterranean Brome) · B. latiglumis (Broad-Glumed Brome) · B. lepidus (Slender Soft Brome) · B. luzonensis (Hoary Brome) · B. madritensis (Compact Brome) · B. madritensis madritensis (Compact Brome) · B. mango (Mango Brome) · B. marginatus (Mountain Brome) · B. marginatus var. marginatus (Large Mountain Brome) · B. maritimus (Seaside Brome) · B. mollis non (Soft Chess) · B. mucroglumis (Arizona Brome) · B. nottowayanus (Nottoway Brome Grass) · B. orcuttianus (Orcutt Brome) · B. orcuttianus var. orcuttianus (Orcutt's Brome) · B. pacificus (Pacific Brome) · B. polyanthus (Basin Brome) · B. polyanthus var. paniculatus (Great Basin Brome) · B. polyanthus var. polyanthus (Great Basin Brome) · B. porteri (Nodding Brome) · B. pseudolaevipes (Coast Range Brome) · B. pubescens (Hairy Wood Brome Grass) · B. racemosus (Bald Brome) · B. ramosus (Bald Brome) · B. ramosus benekenii (Hairy Brome) · B. ramosus ramosus (Hairy Brome) · B. richardsonii var. richardsonii (Richardson´s Brome) · B. rigidus (Ripgut Brome) · B. riparius (Meadow Brome) · B. rubens (Foxtail Brome) · B. scoparius (Broom Brome) · B. secalinus (Bromegrass) · B. sitchensis (Alaska Brome) · B. sitchensis var. sitchensis (Sitka Brome) · B. squarrosus (Corn Brome) · B. squarrosus squarrosus (Corn Brome) · B. stamineus (Roadside Brome) · B. sterilis (Barren Bromegrass) · B. suksdorfii (Suksdorf's Brome) · B. tectorum (Cheat Grass) · B. tectorum var. tectorum (Cheatgrass) · B. texensis (Texas Brome) · B. vulgaris (Columbia Brome)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... A preliminary catalogue of the flora of New Jersey. Comp. by N. L. Britton. .. with the assistance of eminent botanists. New Brunswick, Office of the survey, 1881. url p. 122.
- ... Flora of Glacier National Park, Montana, by Paul C. Standley. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1921. url p. 292.
- A biological survey of the sand dune region on the south shore of Saginaw Bay, Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Lansing, Mich.: Wynkoop, Hallenbeck, Crawford co., state printers, 1911. url p. 79.
- A botanical survey of the Sugar Grove region / by Robert F. Griggs. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 310.
- A compendium of the Cybele britannica; or British plants in their geographical relations. London, Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1870. url .
- A contribution to the flora of Derbyshire being an account of the flowering plants, ferns, and Characeae found in the county / by W.H. Painter. London: George Bell, 1889. url p. 137.
- A contribution to the knowledge of the flora of southeastern Minnesota. [Boston, Heliotype Print. Co.]1900. url p. 375.
- A descriptive catalogue of the grasses of the United States, including especially the grass collections at the New Orleans exposition made by the U. S. Department of Agriculture. Washington, Gibson Bros., 1885. url .
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 17, p. 29, p. 55.
- A flora of California, by Willis Linn Jepson. San Francisco, Calif., Cunningham, Curtis & Welch, 1909- url p. 172.
- A flora of the English Lake District. London, G. Bell, 1885. url , p. 234.
- A flora of the north-east of Ireland: including the Phanerogamia, the Cryptogamia vascularia, and the Muscineae / by Samuel Alexander Stewart and Thomas Hughes Corry. [Belfast]: Belfast Naturalists' Field Club; 1888. url p. 330.
- A general system of botany, descriptive and analytical in two parts; tr. from the original by Mrs. Hooker. .. with additions, an appendix on the natural method, and a synopsis of the orders by J.D. Hooker. London, Longmans, 1876. url p. 891.
- A manual of farm grasses, Washington, D. C., The author, 1921. url , p. 134.
- A manual of farm grasses, by A. S. Hitchcock. Washington, D. C.: The author, 1921. url p. 134.
- A manual of farm grasses. Washington, Hitchcock, 1921. url p. 134.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url .
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L. H. Pammel. 1911 Cedar Rapids, Ia.: The Torch Press, 1910-11. url fig. 103, p. 286.
- A monograph of the British Uredineae and Ustilagineae, with an account of their biology including the methods of observing the germination of their spores and of their experimental culture. London, Paul, Trench & Co., 1889. url .
- A monograph of the British Uredineæ and Ustilagineæ, with an account of their biology including the methods of observing the germination of their spores and of their experimental culture. By Charles B. Plowright. London, K. Paul, Trench, 1889. url p. 278.
- A natural history of British grasses / by E.J. Lowe. London: John C. Nimmo, 1891. url p. 163, p. 165.
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood; with sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url p. 21, p. 251.
- A new British flora; British wild flowers in their natural haunts, described by A. R. Horwood, with 64 plates in col. representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illus. from photo. London, Gresham Pub. Co., 1919. url p. 251.
- A new London flora; or, Handbook to the botanical localities of the metropolitan districts. Compiled from the latest authorities, and from personal observations. London, Hardwick and Bogue, 1877. url p. 133, p. 142, p. 171, p. 8, p. 99.
- A preliminary list of the plants of New Brunswick compiled by James Fowler; with assistance of members of New Brunswick Natural History Society. Saint John, N.B.: Ellis, Robertson & Co., 1885. url .
- A preliminary list of the vascular flora of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania / by John A. Shaffer. Pittsburgh?: Carnegie Institute Museum?, 1901? url p. 122.
- A provisional host-index of the fungi of the United States, by W. G. Farlow and A. B. Seymour. Cambridge, 1888-91. url p. 149.
- A provisional list of the parasitic fungi of Wisconsin. Madison, 1914 url p. 869, p. 928.
- A school flora: for the use of elementary botanical classes / by W. Marshall Watts. New York: Longmans, Green, 1910. url p. 169.
- A text-book of grasses with especial reference to the economic species of the United States, by A. S. Hitchcock. New York, Macmillan, 1914. url p. 50, p. 77.
- A text-book of grasses: with especial reference to the economic species of the United States / by A.S. Hitchock. New York: Macmillan, 1914. url p. 50, p. 77.
- A text-book of mycology and plant pathology / Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Son & Co.c1917. url , .
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. 45 1916 Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 109, p. 126, p. 138, p. 16, p. 16, p. 174, p. 18, p. 199, p. 205, p. 217, p. 218, p. 243, p. 244, p. 267, p. 272, p. 28, p. 31, p. 316, p. 349, p. 39, p. 396, p. 443, p. 445, p. 5, p. 52, p. 52, p. 59, p. 61, p. 69, p. 9.
- Agriculture / by Charles C. James. Toronto: G.N. Morang, 1898. url p. 200.
- Alien flora of Britain. London, West, Newman, 1905. url p. 191.
- American grasses / Washington: Gov. Print. Off., 1897-1901. url p. 156, p. 195.
- American grasses / by F. Lamson-Scribner. Washington: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Division of Agrontology, 1897- url p. 309, p. 309.
- An annotated catalogue of types of the University of Illinois mycological collections (ILL) / Urbana: University of Illinois Press, c1997. url p. 66.
- An illustrated flora of the Pacific States: Washington, Oregon, and California. Stanford University, Stanford University Press, 1923- url p. 225, p. 234, p. 235.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 274, p. 278.
- An introduction to historical plant geography, by E. V. Wulff. .. authorized translation by Elizabeth Brissenden. Foreword by Elmer D. Merrill. Waltham, Mass., Chronica Botanica Co., 1943. url p. 106.
- Annales du Jardin botanique de Buitenzorg. 1910-1918 Leiden [etc.]: E. J. Brill [etc.] url p. 496.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 122.
- Annals of the Entomological Society of America. [College Park, Md., etc.]: Entomological Society of America. url p. 279, p. 73.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 125.
- Annual report / Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. St. Paul: Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota, 1872-1898. url p. 168.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 65.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 5 1894 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 127, p. 181, p. 182, p. 197, p. 202.
- Annual report of the Board of Control of the State Agricultural Experiment Station at Amherst, Mass. [S.l.: s.n.], -1895 url p. 50.
- Annual report of the Commissioner of Agriculture. .. Albany: State of New York, Dept. of Agriculture, 1894-1911. url p. 745.
- Annual report of the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station. [Orono, Me.: Maine State College, 1885-1953. url , p. 175, p. 178, p. 183, p. 195.
- Annual report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904. url p. 25, p. 49.
- Annual report of the Minnesota State Horticultural Society. Minneapolis: The Society, 1883-1898. url p. 473, p. 483.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 25, p. 255, p. 255, p. 44, p. 46, p. 52.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 123.
- Annual report. .. / [State Board of Agriculture]. [Montpelier, Vt.]: The Board, 1900-1908. url p. 11.
- Archiv for mathematik og naturvidenskab. Oslo [etc.]O. Norlis [etc.] url p. 294.
- Birds of a Maryland farm: a local study of economic ornithology / Washington; G.P.O., 1902. url .
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 164.
- Botanical notes at Barton & Mildenhall, Suffolk / by Sir Charles J.F. Bunbury; edited by his wife. Mildenhall: Printed by S.R. Simpson, 1889 url p. 235, p. 278.
- Botanisk tidsskrift / utgivet af den Botaniske forening i København. København: G.E.C. Gads Forlag, 1866-1981. url p. 379.
- Botany Cambridge, Mass., John Wilson and Son, 1880 url p. 319.
- Botany. By W. H. Brewer, Sereno Watson, and Asa Gray. Boston, Little, Brown, 1880. url p. 319.
- Botany. Cambridge, Mass.Welch, Bigelow, University Press, 1876-80. url p. 319, p. 320.
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 11 1970 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url p. 41.
- British grasses and their employment in agriculture, Cambridge, University press, 1917. url .
- British grasses: an introduction to the study of the Gramineae of Great Britain and Ireland / 1867 London: Reeve & co., 1867 url p. 233.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. 7 1906 [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 10, p. 297, p. 336, p. 74, p. 833, p. 983, p. 989.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden record. 14 1925 [Brooklyn]: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1912-44. url p. 17.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 65.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 197.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 310.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1916. url p. 120, p. 148, p. 41, p. 42, p. 43.
- Bulletin / United States Department of Agriculture, Division of Agrostology. Washington, D.C.: The Division, 1895-1901. url , p. 10, p. 16, p. 17, p. 24, p. 309, p. 309, p. 32, p. 6, p. 8, p. 97, p. 98.
- Bulletin / University of Montana. Missoula: University of Montana, 1901-1910. url p. 65.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass.: Essex Institute. url p. 103.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 19 1892 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 146, p. 200, p. 206, p. 292, p. 322, p. 371, p. 514, p. 54, p. 66, p.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 19, p. 19, p. 24, p. 28, p. 29, p. 3, p. 30, p. 6, p. 7.
- Bulletin of the scientific laboratories of Denison University. Granville, Ohio: [The University], 1885- url p. 98.
- Bulletin, Gulf Biologic Station, Baton Rouge, Louisiana State Board of Agriculture and Immigration., 1902-1910. url p. 39.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 103.
- Bulletin: report of Agricultural Experiment Station, Agricultural and Mechanical College, Auburn, Ala. Auburn, Ala.: The Station, [1888-1903] url p. 6.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 48.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 262.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 246.
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants, arranged according to the phyletic classification; with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Univ Columbus, The Ohio State University, 1914. url .
- Catalog of hymenoptera in America north of Mexico / prepared cooperatively by specialists on the various groups of Hymenoptera under the direction of Karl V. Krombein. .. [et al.]. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1979- url p. 135, p. 839.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 310, p. 585.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 310, p. 585, p. 598, p. 761.
- Catalogue of the flora of Minnesota: including its phænogamous and vascular cryptogamous plants, indigenous, naturalized, and adventive / by Warren Upham. Minneapolis: Johnson, Smith & Harrison, 1884. url p. 168.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 76.
- Checklist of plants of the Ottawa District. Ottawa, 1958. url p. 13.
- Chronological history of plants: man's record of his own existence illustrated through their names, uses, and companionship. Boston, Little, Brown & company, 1879. url .
- Circular / United States Department of Agriculture, Division of Agrostology. Washington, D.C.: The Division, 1895-1901. url p. 12.
- Common weeds of the farm & garden / by Harold C. Long in collaboration with John Percival. New York: Frederick A. Stokes, 1910. url p. 370.
- Compte rendu du Congre?s international d'essais de semences. Discussions at the International Seed Testing Conference. Verhandlungen der Internationalen Konferenz fu?r Samenpru?fung a?/in Copenhague (Danemark), 6.- 10. VI. 1921. Hamburg, Druck von Lu?tcke & Wulff url .
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1892- url , , .
- Contributions from the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1899- url p. 111.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 21 1919 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 11, p. 135, p. 142, p. 145, p. 154, p. 157, p. 163, p. 166, p. 176, p. 184, p. 186, p. 265, p. 281, p. 292, p. 369, p. 387, p. 517, p. 548, p. 60, p. 611, p. 66, p. 90, p. 92, p. 93, p. 96, p. 97.
- Contributions towards a Cybele hibernica, being outlines of the geographical distribution of plants in Ireland. Dublin.Hodges, Smith, 1866. url p. 356.
- Convention on the Conservation of European Wildlife and Natural Habitats. Standing Committee. Revision of Appendix 1. Species conservation summaries: non-endemic species and endemics for Austria, Germany, Hungary, Norway Council of Europe url p. 51, p. 52.
- Cryptogamic plants of the USSR. (Flora sporovykh rastenii SSSR) Translated from Russian. Jerusalem[Published for the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C. by the Israel Program for Scientific Translations, 19 - url p. 86.
- Dairy farming: being the theory, practice, and methods of dairying / by J.P. Sheldon London; Cassell, Petter, Galpin & Co., [188-] url p. 170, p. 171.
- Danish fungi as represented in the herbarium of E. Rostrup / revised by J. Lind. Copenhagen: Gyldendalske boghandel, 1913. url p. 162, p. 450.
- Dedication papers: scientific papers presented at the dedication of the laboratory building and plant houses, April 19-21, 1917. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1918. url p. 239, p. 363, p. 364, p. 393, p. 396.
- Dictionary of biological equivalents, German-English, by Ernst Artschwager. .. Baltimore, The Williams & Wilkins company, 1930. url p. 125.
- Dictionary of botanical equivalents, French-English, German-English, by Ernst Artschwager and Edwina M. Smiley. Baltimore, Md., Williams & Wilkins[c1921] url p. 74.
- Domesticated animals and plants; a brief treatise upon the origin and development of domesticated races, with special reference to the methods of improvement, by E. Davenport. Boston, Ginn and company[c1910] url p. 299, p. 299.
- Elementary flora of the Northwest, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company[c1914] url .
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 11, p. 34, p. 5.
- Exercises in botany for the Pacific states / by Volney Rattan. San Francisco: Whitaker & Ray, 1897. url .
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url , p. 13, p. 134, p. 148, p. 153, p. 316, p. 321, p. 4, p. 436, p. 471, p. 555, p. 556, p. 57, p. 759, p. 795, p. 8, p. 846, p. 892.
- Farm grasses of the United States; a practical treatise on the grass crop, seeding and management of meadows and pastures, descriptions of the best varieties, the seed and its impurities, grasses for special conditions, etc., etc. New York, O. Judd company, 1916. url , , , .
- Farm weeds of Canada / by George H. Clark and James Fletcher; with illustrations by Norman Criddle. Ottawa: Published by direction of the Hon. S. A. Fisher, Minister of Agriculture, 1906. url , p. 86, p. 86, p. 99.
- Farm weeds of Canada, by George H. Clark and James Fletcher. With illustrations by Norman Criddle. Published by direction of the Hon. Sydney A. Fisher, Minister of Agriculture, Ottawa, 1909. Ottawa: Govt. Print. Bureau,  url , p. 30.
- Farm weeds: illustrated in colour. Ottawa: Canada Dept of Agriculture, 1951. url .
- Farmer's cyclopedia of live stock / by Earley Vernon Wilcox, Ph.D., and Clarence Beaman Smith. New York: Orange Judd company, 1912. url p. 75.
- Farmer's cyclopedia: a compilation of such bulletins and reports as are indispensable to the practical farmer. Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1914. url p. 165.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 130.
- Feeds and feeding: a hand-book for the student and stockman / by W.A. Henry. Madison, Wis.: The author, 1910. url p. 578.
- Feeds and feeding; Madison, Wis., The Henry-Morrison company, 1915. url p. 638, p. 642.
- Field crops for the cotton-belt, New York, The Macmillan company, 1917. url , .
- Field crops for the cotton-belt, by James Oscar Morgan. New York: The Macmillan company, 1917. url p. 334, p. 334, p. 443, p. 443.
- Field crops in South Africa, by H. D. Leppan and G. J. Bosman. [Johannesburg]Central News Agency, 1923. url p. 248.
- Field crops, by A. D. Wilson. .. and C. W. Warburton. St. Paul, Minn., Webb publishing co., 1918. url p. 310.
- First book of grasses: the structure of grasses explained for beginners / Agnes Chase. New York: Macmillan, 1922. url p. 109, p. 25, p. 34, p. 42, p. ix.
- First book of grasses; the structure of grasses explained for beginners, New York, The Macmillan Company, 1922. url , , , , , , p. 109, p. 25, p. 34, p. 42.
- Flora Peoriana; the vegetation in the climate of middle Illinois. Peoria, Ill., J. W. Franks & Sons, 1887. url , p. 38.
- Flora of Ann Arbor and vicinity. Ann Arbor, [Mich.]: Courier Steam Print. House, 1876. url p. 113.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 34.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 34.
- Flora of Colorado, Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url .
- Flora of Colorado, by P. A. Rydberg, PH. D. Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url p. 51, p. 52.
- Flora of Colorado, by P.A. Rydberg. Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url p. 51, p. 51, p. 52, p. 52.
- Flora of Delaware and the Eastern Shore: an annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of the peninsula of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. [Wilmington]: Society of Natural History of Delaware, 1946. url p. 19.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 1025, p. 96, p. 98.
- Flora of Japan: in English: combined, much revised and extended translation / by the author of his Flora of Japan (1953) and Flora of Japan, Pteridophyta (1957); edited by Frederick G. Meyer and Egbert H. Walker. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965. url p. 157.
- Flora of Lancaster County: being descriptions of the seed-plants growing naturally in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania / by John Kunkel Small and Joel Jackson Carter. New York: The authors, 1913. url p. 35.
- Flora of Los Angeles and vicinity / by LeRoy Abrams. Stanford University, Cal. 1917. url p. 48.
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb.[c1912] url , .
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the ferns, conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb., 1923 url p. 38, p. 39.
- Flora of New Bedford and the shores of Buzzards Bay, with a procession of the flowers. New Bedford [Mass.]E. Anthony, 1911. url p. 36.
- Flora of New Mexico / by E.O. Wooton and Paul C. Standley. Washington: G.P.O., 1915. url p. 97.
- Flora of Pennsylvania. Edited with the addition of analytical keys by John Kunkel Small. Boston, Ginn & Co., 1903. url p. 39.
- Flora of Plymouth: an account of the flowering plants and ferns found within twelve miles of the town; history of local botanical investigation. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 365.
- Flora of West Virginia, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh and Lawrence William Nuttall. 1 1896 Chicago, 1896. url p. 195.
- Flora of Winneshiek County. Des Moines: 1906. url .
- Flora of southeastern Washington and adjacent Idaho / by Charles V. Piper and R. Kent Beattie. Lancaster, Pa.: New Era, 1914. url p. 32, p. 33.
- Flora of the District of Columbia and vicinity. By A.S. Hitchcock and Paul C. Standley, with the assistance of the botanists of Washington. WashingtonGovt. print. off.1919 url p. 11, p. 90.
- Flora of the Rocky Mountains and adjacent plains, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and neighboring parts of Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, and British Columbia, by P.A. Rydberg. .. New York, The author, 1922. url p. 88.
- Flora of the Southern United States: containing an abridged description of the flowering plants and ferns of Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida: arranged according to the natural system. New York, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & Co., [c1883] url .
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. 2 1934 [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 436.
- Flora of the northwest coast, including the area west of the summit of the Cascade Mountains, from the forty-ninth parallel south to the Calapooia Mountains on the south border of Lane County, Oregon. Lancaster, Pa., Press of the New Era Printing Company, 1915. url .
- Flora of the northwest coast: including the area west of the summit of the Cascade Mountains, from the forty-ninth parallel south to the Calapooia Mountains on the south border of Lane County, Oregon / by Charles V. Piper and R. Kent Beattie. Lancaster, Pa.: Press of the New era printing company, 1915. url p. 50, p. 52.
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 157.
- Flora of the southeastern Washington and adjacent Idaho, Lancaster, Pa., Press of the New Era Printing Company, 1914. url , .
- Flora of the southern United States, containing an abridged description of the flowering plants and ferns of Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida; arranged according to the natural system by A.W. Chapman. New York, American Book Company url p. 566.
- Flora of the state of Washington / by Charles V. Piper. Washington: G.P.O., 1906 url p. 145.
- Flora of the state of Washington. By Charles V. Piper. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1906. url p. 145.
- Forage plants and their culture, New York, The Macmillan company, 1914. url , p. 208, p. 299.
- Forage plants and their culture, by Charles V. Piper. New York: The Macmillan company, 1914. url , p. 208, p. 299.
- Foundations of botany / by Joseph Y. Bergen. Boston: Ginn, 1901. url p. 388, p. 388.
- Foundations of botany, Boston, Ginn & Co., 1901. url .
- Foundations of botany, by Joseph Y. Bergen. Boston, Ginn & co., 1904. url p. 388.
- Fundamentals of agriculture, ed. by James Edward Halligan. Boston, D.C. Heath and company, 1911. url p. 144.
- Fungi, Ascomycetes, Ustilaginales, Uredinales, by Dame Helen Gwynne-Vaughan (formerly H. C. I. Fraser) Cambridge [Eng]: Univeristy Press, 1922. url p. 224.
- Fungi, ascomycetes, ustilaginales, uredinales, Cambridge [Eng]University Press, 1922. url .
- Fungous diseases of plants, Boston, Ginn and company[c1909] url p. 500.
- Fungous diseases of plants, with chapters on physiology, culture methods and technique, by Benjamin Minge Duggar. Boston, Ginn and company, [c1909] url p. 500.
- Fungous diseases of plants: with chapters on physiology, culture methods and technique / Boston; Ginn, [c1909] url .
- Fungous diseases of plants; with chapters on physiology, culture methods and techniques. Boston, Ginn url p. 410, p. 500.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url , p. 604.
- Grasses and forage plants, by J. B. Killebrew. .. Knoxville, Printed for University of Tennessee Press, by S. B. Newman, 1899. url p. 69.
- Grasses and forage plants, by J.B. Killebrew. Knoxville, Printed for University of Tennessee Press, by S. B. Newman, 1899. url p. 69.
- Grasses and forage plants. A practical treatise. Comprising their natural history; comparative nutritive value; methods of cultivating, cutting, and curing; and the management of grass lands in the United States and British Pro Boston, J. E. Tilton, 1867. url , .
- Grasses and forage plants: a practical treatise comprising their natural history; comparative nutritive value; methods of cultivating, cutting, and curing; and the management of grass lands in the United States and British prov Boston, Lee and Shepard, 1888. url p. 102, p. 20, p. 209, p. 389.
- Grasses and how to grow them in North America / by Thomas Shaw. St. Paul: Webb publishing co., 1910. url p. 309.
- Grasses of North America / by W.J. Beal. New York: H. Holt, 1887-1896. url p. 75.
- Grasses of North America. .. by W. J. Beal. New York: H. Holt and company, 1887-96. url p. 75.
- Grasses of Ontario Toronto: Ontario Dept. of Agriculture, 1895 url .
- Grasses their uses and composition Ottawa?: Dept. of Agriculture, 1893? url .
- Grasses: a handbook for use in the field and laboratory / by H. Marshall Ward. Cambridge: University Press, 1901. url p. 166, p. 179.
- Grasses; a handbook for use in the field and laboratory. By H. Marshall Ward. Cambridge, University Press, 1908. url p. 115, p. 166, p. 179, p. 187.
- Gray's lessons in botany and vegetable physiology, illus. by over 360 wood engravings, from original drawings, by Isaac Sprague. To which is added a copious glossary, or dictionary of botanical terms. By Asa Gray. Chicago, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & co. url .
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1987 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 710.
- Guide to the study of common plants. An introduction to botany. Boston, D. C. Heath, [c1895] url , .
- Handbook of experiment station work. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1893. url p. 164.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 529, p. 56.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url , .
- Handbook of grasses, treating of their structure, classification, geographical distribution and uses, also describing the British species and their habitats. London, Macmillan, 1910. url .
- Handbook of the British flora: a description of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to, or naturalised in, the British Isles. For the use of beginners and amateurs. By George Bentham. London, L. Reeve & Co., ltd., 1918. url p. 533.
- Handbook of the flora of Philadelphia and vicinity, containing data relating to the plants within the following radius: eastern Pennsylvania, north to the Blue mountains, and west to the Susquehanna; all of New Jersey except the northern counties; and Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, 1905. url .
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 87.
- How to know the grasses; pictured-keys for determining the common and important American grasses, with suggestions and aids for their study. Dubuque, Iowa, W. C. Brown Co. url p. 64, p. 65.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 157, p. 176.
- Index to the names of North American grasses: a report presented to the Society for the Promotion of Agricultural Science, at the Indianapolis meeting, 1890 / [S.l.]Published by authority of the Society, 1980? url p. 4, p. 5.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 836.
- Journal of agricultural research. Washington, U.S. Govt. Printing Office, 1913-1949.. url p. 467, p. 484.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 18 1880 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 118, p. 15, p. 154, p. 206, p. 300, p. 304, p. 309, p. 319, p. 348, p. 55, p. 77, p. 78, p. 81.
- Journal of economic entomology. [College Park, Md., etc.]Entomological Society of America [etc.] url p. 184.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url p. 159, p. 159.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 26 1925 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 296, p. 311.
- Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall. Truro, Eng., Workers of Cornwall Ltd. url p. 376.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 208, p. 337.
- Key to the Rocky Mountain flora. Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and parts of Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, and British Columbia. New York, [c1919] url .
- Key to the Rocky Mountain flora; Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and parts of Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, and British Columbia. New York, 1919. url p. 36.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. A physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. [Indianapolis]Dept. of Conservation, State of Indiana [Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 238.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. a physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. [Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 238.
- Lake Maxinkuckee: a physical and biological survey / by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. Indianapolis: Dept. of Conservation, 1920. url p. 238, p. 462.
- Lake Superior. [With a narrative of the tour by J. Elliot Cabot. Huntington, N.Y.]R. E. Krieger Pub. Co., 1974 [c1850] url p. 167, p. 190.
- Landmarks of botanical history, a study of certain epochs in the development of the science of botany. Washington, Smithsonian Inst., 1909- url p. 135, p. 317.
- Landmarks of botanical history; a study of certain epochs in the development of the science of botany. Part I.--Prior to 1562 A. D. Washington, Smithsonian institution, 1909. url , .
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 519.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 56.
- Loudon's encyclopaedia of plants; comprising the specific character, description, culture, history, application in the arts, and every other desirable particular respecting all the plants indigenous to, cultivated in, or introduced in Edited by Mrs. Loudon, assisted by George Don and David Wooster. London, Longmans, Green, 1866. url p. 1088, p. 64.
- Manual of the Flora of Jackson County, Missouri, By Kenneth K. MacKenzie, assisted by B. F. Bush and others. Kansas City, Mo., s.n., 1902 url p. viii.
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States, including the district east of the Mississippi, and north of North Carolina and Tennessee. New York, Iverson, Blakeman[c1889] url .
- Manual of the flora of Jackson County, Missouri. Assisted by B.F. Bush and others. Kansas City, Mo., 1902. url p. 8.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 150.
- Manual of the grasses of the United States / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington: U.S. G.P.O., 1935. url p. 31, p. 33, p. 48, p. 49, p. 50, p. 817.
- Manual of the southeastern flora: being descriptions of the seed plants growing naturally in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, eastern Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. 1933 New York: The author, 1933. url p. 135.
- Massachusetts crop report. Boston: [Massachusetts State Board of Agriculture], 1888-1913. url p. 33.
- Memoirs / Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Garden, 1918-1936. url p. 239, p. 361, p. 363, p. 364, p. 393, p. 396.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 4 1893 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 167, p. 210, p. 56.
- Memorials, journal and botanical correspondence of Charles Cardale Babington. Cambridge, [Eng.]: Macmillan and Bowes, 1897. url p. 64.
- Michigan flora. Prepared for the thirtieth annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture, by W. J. Beal and C. F. Wheeler. Lansing: R. Smith & co., printers, 1892 url p. 52, p. 57.
- Michigan flora: a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation / prepared by W.J. Beal. [Lansing, Mich.]: State Board of Agriculture: 1904. url p. 25, p. 25, p. 49, p. 49.
- Minnesota botanical studies. Minneapolis, Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. url , p. 103, p. 375, p. 375.
- Miscellaneous papers on the botany of Michigan, by C. K. Dodge. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Published as a part of the Annual report of the Board of Geological Survey for 1920. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford, State Printers, 1921. url p. 137, p. 24, p. 85.
- Modern practical farriery: a complete system of the veterinary art as at present practised at the Royal Veterinary College, London / by W.J. Miles. Including practical treatises on Cattle, their management in dairy field, and stall, by John Walker; Pasture grasses and forage plants, by Samuel P. Preston; The practice of sheep farmi London: Gresham Pub. Co., [1875?] url p. 445, p. 446.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 117.
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 71, p. 79.
- New manual of botany of the central Rocky mountains (vascular plants) Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company[c1909] url .
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 56.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 3 1904 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 140, p. 152.
- Observations on the flowering plants, ferns and fern allies growing wild in Marquette County, Michigan, in 1916 and 1917, especially in the vicinity of the Huron Mountain Club. Ann Arbor, Michigan, Published by the University, 1918. url .
- On the fauna and flora of the west of Scotland. Meeting at Glasgow, September, 1876. Glasgow, Blackie, 1876 url p. 81.
- Orchard grass. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1906. url p. 14.
- Outlines of botany for the high school laboratory and classroom (based on Gray's Lessons in botany) by Robert Greenleaf Leavitt. .. prepared at the request of the Botanical Department of Harvard University. New York, American Book Co. url .
- Pasture grasses and forage plants, and their seeds, weeds, and parasites. London, T. C. Jack, 1887. url .
- Phytogeography of Nebraska. 1. General survey by Roscoe Pound and Frederic E. Clements. Lincoln, Neb.Published by the Seminar1900 url p. 421, p. 74.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 61.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 122, p. 340, p. 342.
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 387.
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 387.
- Plants of Iowa; a preliminary list of the native and introduced plants of the state, not under cultivation; comp. by Wesley Greene, secretary. Des Moines, Bishard brothers, printers, 1907. url p. 138, p. 138.
- Plants of Mississippi: a list of flowering plants and ferns / by E.N. Lowe. [Jackson, Miss.]: Mississippi State Geological Survey, 1921. url p. 95.
- Pomona College journal of entomology. Claremont, Calif., U.S.A.: Published under the patronage of Ontario-Cucamonga Citrus Association by the Dept. of Biology of Pomona College, [1909?-1912?] url p. 458, p. 458.
- Postelsia: the year book of the Minnesota Seaside Station. St. Paul, Minn.: Pioneer Press, 1902-1906. url p. 21.
- Practical agriculture by Charles C. James. New York: D. Appleton, 1899. url .
- Practical notes on grasses & grass growing in East Anglia. London, Jarrold, 1897. url .
- Practical text-book of plant physiology. New York, Longmans, 1908. url p. 94.
- Proceedings of the Canadian Institute. Toronto, Canadian Institute. url p. 155.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 50.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 125, p. 160, p. 160, p. 263, p. 445, p. 456.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 450.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago.: Field Columbian Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 195.
- Range management in the state of Washington. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1905. url p. 19, p. 25.
- Rapid ecological assessment of selected state lands in southcentral Montana for plant species of special concern / prepared by James P. Vanderhorst; prepared for Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url p. 19.
- Report for the year - British Columbia Provincial Museum. [Victoria]; Printed by A. Sutton [etc.], for the Queen. url .
- Report of the Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: James B. Lyon, State Printer, 1867-1924. url p. 11, p. 30.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904-1916. url p. 146, p. 166.
- Report of the State Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1898-1925. url , , p. 65.
- Report of the entomologist and botanist, for 1892 Ottawa: s.n., 1893? url .
- Reports of the Director. .. / Experimental Farms. Ottawa: Experimental Farms, 1888-1916. url p. 188, p. 219, p. 271, p. 346.
- Reports of the Survey. Botanical series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892- url p. 103, p. 375.
- Resources of the southern fields and forests, medical, economical, and agricultural; Charleston, Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1869. url p. 683, p. 726.
- Sable Island, with a catalogue of its vascular plants / by Harold St. John. Boston: Gray Herbarium of Harvard University, 1921. url p. 64.
- Sandusky flora. A catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns growing without cultivation, in Erie County, Ohio, and the peninsula and islands of Ottawa County, Wooster, O., Press of Clapper Printing Co., 1899. url .
- Saragolla wheat. 1903. url p. 5, p. 6, p. 7.
- Science studies, v.1, no. 1-3. Bozeman, Mont.1905. url p. 119, p. 131.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 798.
- Scientific papers of Asa Gray / selected by Charles Sprague Sargent. Boston, Houghton, 1889. url p. 240.
- Scientific papers of Asa Gray, selected by Charles Sprague Sargent. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1889. url p. 240, p. 240.
- Seeds handbook for agriculture, horticulture and forestry, with a key for the identification of the important agricultural seeds = Handbuch der Samenkunde für Landwirtschaft, Gartenbau und Forstwirtschaft, mit einem Schlussel zur Bestimmung der wichtigsten landwirtschaftlichen Samen / Walther Brouwen and Adolf Stahlin. [S.l.: s.n.], 1980. url p. 145.
- Small, J. K. Flora of the southeastern United States;being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolin, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and the Indian territory and in Oklahoma and Texas east of the one-hundredth meridian /by John Kunkel Small. .. 1903 New York: The author, 1903. url p. 157.
- Some grasses of the Northeast: a key to their identification by vegetative characters. Newark, Delaware: University of Delaware, Agricultural Experiment Station, 1962. url p. 40.
- Sources of the Ohio flora, by A.D. Selby and J.W.T. Duvel. Columbus, 1899 url p. 51.
- South Carolina. Resources and population. Institutions and industries. Pub. by the State Board of Agriculture of South Carolina. Charleston, S.C.: Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1883. url p. 349, p. 349.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 25, p. 44.
- Station bulletin. Durham, N.H.: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of New Hampshire, 1948- url p. 6.
- Studies in natural history. Iowa City, Ia. url p. 31.
- Summer in a bog. Cincinnati, Stewart & Kidd[c1913] url .
- Taxonomic literature: a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types (TL2) Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema, 1976-1988. url p. 218, p. 465.
- The American botanist and florist: including lessons in the structure, life, and growth of plants; together with a simple analytical flora, descriptive of the native and cultivated plants growing in the Atlantic division of the America By Alphonso Wood. Chicago, A. S. Barnes, 1870. url p. 397.
- The American entomologist. St. Louis: R.P. Studley & Co., 1868-1870. url p. 379, p. 379.
- The American farmer. A complete agricultural library, with useful facts for the household, devoted to farming in all its departments and details, ed. by Charles L. Flint. Illustrated with over six hundred engravings. Hartford, Conn., R. H. Park, 1882. url p. 220.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 564, p. 695.
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 224, p. 78.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 104, p. 104, p. 112, p. 176, p. 185, p. 228, p. 37, p. 41, p. 42, p. 46.
- The British rust fungi (Uredinales) their biology and classification, Cambridge, University Press, 1913. url , .
- The Bulletin of the North Carolina Department of Agriculture. Raleigh: State Board of Agriculture, [1907- url p. 11, p. 6, p. 7, p. 75, p. 8.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 240, p. 240.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 53, p. 536, p. 59, p. 80.
- The Canadian journal of science, literature and history. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1868-1878. url p. 299, p. 655.
- The Canadian record of science. Montreal, Natural History Society. url p. 17, p. 284, p. 67.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , p. 17, p. 215, p. 274.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url p. 123, p. 123.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 111, p. 151, p. 182, p. 244, p. 269, p. 282, p. 297, p. 655, p. 802.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 41 1981 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 15.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 116, p. 13, p. 84.
- The Journal of the Iowa Academy of Science: JIAS. Cedar Falls, Iowa: The Academy, 1988- url p. 132, p. 171, p. 201.
- The Naturalist. 1896 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 325, p. 34, p. 343.
- The New Forest: its history and its scenery / by John R. Wise; with 63 illustrations by Walter Crane; engraved by W.J. Linton. London: Gibbings, 1895. url p. 305.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 120.
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 132, p. 171, p. 360.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 131, p. 196, p. 471, p. 570, p. 579.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 15, p. 257, p. 353.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 39 1958 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 124, p. 144, p. 233, p. 233, p. 266, p. 266, p. 533.
- The University of Missouri studies. Columbia, Mo.: The University, 1905- url p. 66, p. 69, p. 70, p. 98.
- The Victoria history of the county of Leicester. Edited by William Page. LondonConstable1907- url p. 47.
- The agricultural grasses and forage plants of the United States; and such foreign kinds as have been introduced. By Dr. Geo. Vasey; with an appendix on the chemical composition of grasses, by Clifford Richardson. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1889. url , p. 111, p. 111, p. 123, p. 21, p. 315, p. 73, p. 73.
- The book of grasses: an illustrated guide to the common grasses, and the most common of the rushes and sedges / by Mary Evans Francis; illustrated by H.H. Knight, Arthur G. Eldredge and Sarah Francis Dorrance. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1912. url p. 230, p. 33.
- The book of grasses; an illustrated guide to the common grasses, and the most common of the rushes and sedges, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & Co., 1912. url .
- The book of wheat: an economic history and practical manual of the wheat industry / by Peter Tracy Dondlinger. New York: O. Judd, [c1908] url p. 151, p. 151.
- The complete grazier and farmers' and cattlebreeders' assistant. .. originally written by William Youatt. .. considerably enlarged and mainly rewritten in 1893 and 1900 by William Fream. .. London, C. Lockwood and son, 1908. url p. 858.
- The constitution and by-laws of the Ann Arbor Scientific Association with the proceedings for the year ending May 1, 1876.. ... Ann Arbor, Courier Steam Printing House, 1876. url p. 113.
- The differentiation and specificity of starches in relation to genera, species, etc.; stereochemistry applied to protoplasmic processes and products, and as a strictly scientific basis for the classification of plants and animals Washington, D.C.Carnegie institution of Washington1913 url p. 246.
- The farmer's and planter's encyclopaedia of rural affairs; embracing all the most recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry, suited to the comprehension of unscientific readers. By Cuthbert W. Johnson. .. With extensive additions adapting the work to the United States. .. By Gouverneur Emerson. .. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott & Co., 1868. url p. 400, p. 401.
- The flora of Berkshire; being a topographical and historical account of the flowering plants and ferns found in the county, with short biographical notices of the botanists who have contributed to Berkshire botany during the Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1897. url p. 593, p. 64.
- The flora of British India /By J. D. Hooker assisted by various botanists. Published under the authority of the secretary of state for India in council. 7 1897 London: L. Reeve, 1875-97. url p. 361, p. 361.
- The flora of British India. London, L. Reeve & Co., 1875-97. url .
- The flora of Canada collected by A.M. Ross. Toronto: Rowsell & Hutchison, 1875. url .
- The flora of Long Island. Lancaster, Pa.New Era Print., 1899. url .
- The flora of Scott and Muscatine counties. By W.D. Barnes, Fred Reppert [and] A.A. Miller. Davenport, Iowa, 1901 url p. 277.
- The flora of Suffolk a topographical enumeration of the plants of the county, showing the results of former observations and of the most recent researches / by W.M. Hind; assisted by Churchill Babington; with an introductory chapter of the geology, climate and meteorology of Suffolk by Wheelton Hind. London: Gurney and Jackson, 1889. url p. 408.
- The flora of Tennessee and a philosophy of botany: respectfully dedicated to the citizens of Tennessee / by Augustin Gattinger. Nashville: Press of Gospel Advocate Pub. Co., 1901. url p. 46.
- The flora of the Palouse region. Containing descriptions of all the Spermatophytes and Pteridophytes known to grow wild in the area within 35 kilometers of Pullman, Washington. By Charles V. Piper and R. Kent Beattie. Pullman, Washington Agricultural College and School of Science, 1901. url p. 29.
- The flora of the parish of Halifax, by William B. Crump, & Charles Crossland. [Halifax]Halifax Scientific Society, 1904. url p. 128.
- The flora of the town of Southold, Long Island, and Gardiner's Island / New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1914? url p. 231.
- The forage and fiber crops in America, by Thomas F. Hunt. New York, Orange Judd company; [etc., etc.]1907. url p. 9, p. 93.
- The genera of grasses of the United States: with special reference to the economic species / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, 1920. url p. 24, p. 27.
- The geological and natural history survey of Minnesota: the twelfth annual report for the year 1883 / N.H. Winchell. Minneapolis: Johnson, Smith & Harrison, 1884. url p. 168.
- The geology of New Hampshire. A report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature. Concord, E.A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-78. url .
- The geology of New Hampshire: a report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature / C. H. Hitchcock, state geologist. Concord: E. A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-1878. url p. 411.
- The grass and clover seed trade in Vermont in 1907-1909 / [by George T. Harrington] Burlington: Vermont Agricultural Experiment Station, 1909. url p. 236.
- The grasses and grass-like plants of New Mexico / E.O. Wooton and Paul C. Standley. Agricultural College, N.M.: New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, Agricultural Experiment Station, 1912. url p. 144.
- The grasses of Illinois / by Edna Mosher. Urbana, Ill.: University of Illinois Agricultural Experiment Station, 1918. url p. 404.
- The grasses of Illinois, by Edna Mosher. Urbana, Ill., 1918. url p. 404.
- The grasses of Iowa / L. H. Pammel, J. B. Weems, and F. Lamson-Schribner. Des Moines: Iowa Geological Survey, 1901-1904  i.e. 1905] url p. 100, p. 101, p. 207, p. 302, p. 303, p. 350, p. 352, p. 355, p. 98.
- The grasses of Maine. Designed for the use of the students of the Maine State College, and the farmers of the State. C. D. Fernald, Orono, May, 1885. Augusta, [Me.], Sprague & son, Printers to the State, 1885. url , p. 44, p. 45.
- The grasses of Tennessee including cereals and forage plants / by J.B. Killebrew. .. Nashville: The American, 1878. url p. 227.
- The grasses of Tennessee; including cereals and forage plants. Nashville, The American co., 1878. url .
- The living flora of West Virginia, Wheeling, Wheeling News Litho. Co., 1913 url .
- The naturalisation of animals & plants in New Zealand, Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1922. url .
- The plant life of Maryland, by Forrest Shreve [et al.] Baltimore, Johns Hopkins Press, 1910. url p. 404.
- The plants of Michigan; simple keys for the identification of the native seed plants of the state, by Henry Allan Gleason. Ann Arbor, G. Wahr, c1918. url p. 7.
- The principles of agronomy; a text-book of crop production for high-schools and short-courses in agricultural colleges, by Franklin S. Harris. .. and George Stewart. New York, The Macmillan company, 1915. url p. 297.
- The rusts of Australia their structure, nature and classification / by D. McAlpine. Melbourne: Robt. S. Brain, government printer1906. url p. 437, p. 445.
- The rusts of Australia, their structure, nature, and classification. Melbourne, Brain, 1906. url p. 331, p. 339.
- The small grains, by Mark Alfred Carleton. .. New York, The Macmillan company, 1916. url p. 445.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 578.
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url p. 180, p. 247.
- The variation of animals and plants under domestication, by Charles Darwin. London, J. Murray, 1893. url p. 331, p. 437.
- The vegetation of the New Jersey Pine-Barrens: an ecologic investigation / by John W. Harshberger. Philadelphia: Christopher Sower Company, 1916. url p. 105.
- The weed flora of Iowa / [by L. H. Pammel; with the collaboration of Charlotte M. King. .. et al.] Des Moines: Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 419, p. 420, p. 48, p. 517, p. 715, p. 736, p. 819.
- The weed flora of Iowa Des Moines, Iowa geological survey, 1913. url , , , , , , .
- The weed flora of Iowa. .. Des Moines, Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 419, p. 420, p. 48, p. 49, p. 517, p. 518, p. 715, p. 733, p. 736, p. 819.
- The weeds of New South Wales, pt. I- Sydney, W.A. Gullick, Gov't. printer, 1920- url p. 20.
- The weeds of Ontario / by F. C. Harrison. Toronto: Ontario Dept. of Agriculture, 1900. url , .
- Torreya. 12 1912 Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 107, p. 133, p. 155, p. 162, p. 2, p. 222, p. 231, p. 99.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 123, p. 167.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 141, p. 8.
- Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. Springfield, Ill., Illinois State Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 139, p. 174, p. 178.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 89.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London, 2nd series: Botany 5 1896 London. url p. 226, p. 227.
- Transactions of the Maryland Academy of Sciences. Baltimore: The Academy, 1901- url p. 61.
- Transactions of the South African Philosophical Society. 18 1907 Cape Town, : The Society. url p. 265.
- Transactions of the Watford Natural History Society and Hertfordshire Field Club. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1875-1880. url p. 73.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 100, p. 145, p. 194, p. 89.
- Vegetable gardening. A manual on the growing of vegetables for home use and marketing. By Samuel B. Green. St. Paul, Webb Publishing Co., 1915. url p. 322.
- Vegetative vigor of the host as a factor influencing susceptibility and resistance to certain rust diseases of the higher plants. Lancaster, Pa., 1922 url p. 187.
- Weed control / Berkeley, Calif.: College of Agriculture, University of California, 1936. url .
- Weeds of farm land, by Winifred E. Brenchley. New York, Longmans, Green and co., 1920. url p. 209.
- Weeds of farm land. London, Longmans, 1920. url p. 209.
- Weeds of the North Central States. Urbana, Ill: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Agriculture, Agricultural Experiment Station,  url p. 18, p. 279.
- Weeds of the farm and garden, by L.H. Pammel. .. New York, Orange Judd, 1912. url .
- Wheat culture in Tennessee. By J. B. Killebrew. Nashville, Tenn., Printed by "The American" printing company, 1877. url p. 33.
- World Plant Conservation Bibliography WCMC, Royal Botanic Gardens url p. 165, p. 311.
- Yearbook of agriculture. WashingtonU.S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 491.
- Yearbook of the United States Department of Agriculture. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1895-1920. url p. 569, p. 596.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 2 1891 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 255.
- [Collected reprints, 1895-1916. s.l., s.n., 19--] url .
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2660812
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-40519
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:75172-3
- GRIN Nomen Number: 7867
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 40519
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PMPOA151B0
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: BRSEH
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 26051
- Liang Liu, Guanghua Zhu & Klaus Ammann "Bromus". in Flora of China Vol. 22 Page 370, 371. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Bromus secalinus". in Flora of China Vol. 22 Page 373, 382. Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 219.680 meters (720.735 feet), Standard Deviation = 269.440 based on 4,379 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]