Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Little Quaking Grass, Lesser Quaking Grass, Little Quakinggrass, Quaking Grass
Common Names in French:
Petite Amourette, Petite Brize
Common Names in Portuguese:
Bole-Bole, Capim-Treme-Treme, Treme-Treme-Miúdo
Species Briza minor
Annual . Culms usually solitary, erect , slender, 20-60 cm tall. Leaf sheaths thin, soft, smooth , loosely overlapping; leaf blades thin, 4-12 cm × 4-10 mm, adaxial surface and margins scabridulous , apex acute; ligule 3-6 mm, subacute . Panicle open, erect, broadly ovate in outline, 5-10 cm, with many pendant spikelets ; branches mostly paired , very slender, obliquely spreading , scabrid ; pedicels hairlike, mostly longer than spikelets, flexuous . Spikelets broadly ovate, 3-5 × ca. 4 mm, pale green, florets 3-8; glumes broad, 2-2.5 mm, 3-5-veined, apex rounded ; lemmas very broadly ovate, wider than long, lowest 1.5-2 mm, 7-9-veined, back smooth and glossy or pubescent , membranous margins very broad; palea ovate, slightly shorter than lemma, back appressed pubescentor marginal hairs spreading and fringing keels, keels almost wingless, glabrous . Anthers ca. 0.4 mm. 2n = 10. [source]
Flowers: Bloom Period: June.
Size: 6-12" tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 4,653 meters (0 to 15,266 feet).
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Commelinidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Angiospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Briza
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 6 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
B. humilis (Quakinggrass) · B. maxima (Big Quakinggrass) · B. media (Perennial Quaking Grass) · B. media media (Perennial Quaking Grass) · B. media 'Limouzi' (Perennial Quakinggrass) · B. minor (Little Quaking Grass)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... A preliminary catalogue of the flora of New Jersey. Comp. by N. L. Britton. .. with the assistance of eminent botanists. New Brunswick, Office of the survey, 1881. url p. 134.
- A census of the grasses of New South Wales, together with a popular description of each species; by Fred. Turner. Issued by direction of the Minister for Mines and Agriculture (Hon. Sydney Smith). H. C. L. Anderson, director. Sydney, C. Potter, gov't printer, 1890. url p. 49.
- A companion for the Queensland student of plant life. Brisbane, James C. Beal, govt. printer, 1893. url .
- A compendium of the Cybele britannica; or British plants in their geographical relations. London, Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1870. url .
- A flora of California, by Willis Linn Jepson. San Francisco, Calif., Cunningham, Curtis & Welch, 1909- url p. 150, p. 150.
- A flora of the islands of Jersey, with a list of the plants of the Channel Islands in general, and remarks upon their distribution and geographical affinities. London, West, Newman, 1903. url , .
- A flora of western middle California, Berkeley, Cal., Encina Publishing Company, 1901. url .
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 194.
- A little book of annuals, New York, The A. T. De La Mare company, inc., 1922. url p. 113, p. 95.
- A natural arrangement of British plants: according to their relations to each other as pointed out by Jussieu, De Candolle, Brown, &c.. .. / with an introduction to botany. .. By Samuel Frederick Gray. .. London: Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, 1821. url p. 109.
- A natural history of British grasses / by E.J. Lowe. London: John C. Nimmo, 1891. url , p. 137.
- A natural history of the British Lepidoptera: a text-book for students and collectors / by J.W. Tutt. London: S. Sonnenschein, 1899-1904. url p. 440.
- A natural history of the British butterflies; their world-wide variation and geographical distribution. A text-book for students and collectors. London: E. Stock, [19--?] url p. 440.
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood; with sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url p. 14.
- A new British flora; British wild flowers in their natural haunts, described by A. R. Horwood, with 64 plates in col. representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illus. from photo. London, Gresham Pub. Co., 1919. url p. 14.
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url , p. 959.
- A survey of natural areas in Tyrrell County, North Carolina: for The North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url p. 7.
- A system of vegetables, according to their classes, orders, genera, species, with their characters and differences. .. Tr. from the 13th ed. (as pub. by Dr. Murray) of the Systema vegetabilium of the late Professor Linneus; and from the Supplementum plantarum of the present Professor Linneus. .. By a botanical society Lichfield, Printed by J. Jackson for Leigh and Sotheby, 1783. url p. 99.
- Alien flora of Britain. London, West, Newman, 1905. url p. 189.
- An illustrated flora of the Pacific States: Washington, Oregon, and California. Stanford University, Stanford University Press, 1923- url p. 195.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 250, p. 251.
- An introduction to physiological and systematical botany. London, Longman, Hurst, Reese, Orme, 1807. url p. 233.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 136, p. 239, p. 407, p. 407.
- Annals of the South African Museum. Annale van die Suid-Afrikaanse Museum. Cape Town [etc., South African Museum, etc.] url p. 242.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 114.
- Annual report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1916-1921. url p. 353.
- Annuals hardy and half hardy. New York, Frederick A. Stokes Co., [1914?] url p. 100.
- Aquatic and wetland plants of southwestern United States, by Donovan S. Correll and Helen B. Correll. [Washington]Environmental Protection Agency; [For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1972. url p. 191, p. 192.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 11 - 20 1929 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 47.
- Beeton's Dictionary of everyday gardening. .. to which is added a monthly calendar of garden work throughout the year. London, Ward, Lock, 1909. url p. 66.
- British entomology; being illustrations and descriptions of the genera of insects found in Great Britain and Ireland: containing coloured figures from nature of the most rare and beautiful species, and in many instances By John Curtis. London, Printed for the author, 1823-40. url p. 102.
- British grasses and their employment in agriculture, Cambridge, University press, 1917. url .
- British grasses: an introduction to the study of the Gramineae of Great Britain and Ireland / 1867 London: Reeve & co., 1867 url p. 257.
- British wild flowers: familiarly described in the four seasons for the use of beginners and amateurs / by Thomas Moore. London, Reeve, 1867. url p. 345.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. 7 1920 [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 296, p. 868.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 1 1898 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 140.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 8 1881 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 59.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 45.
- Bulletin. Bureau of Plant Industry. U. S. Department of Agriculture. 1901-13. WashingtonGovt. Print. Off. url p. 27.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 262, p. 329.
- Commercial gardening, a practical & scientific treatise for market gardeners, market growers, fruit, flower & vegetable growers, nurserymen, etc. By many practical specialists under the editorship of John Weathers. London, The Gresham publishing company, 1913. url p. 50.
- Companion to the Botanical magazine: being a journal, containing such interesting botanical information as does not come within the prescribed limits of the magazine; with occasional figures /by W.J. Hooker. 2 1836-1837 London: Printed by E. Conchman. .. for the proprietor, S. Curtis, 1835-1836 [i.e., 1835-1837] url p. 273, p. 281, p. 317, p. 321.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 48 2003 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 146, p. 147, p. 148, p. 150, p. 334, p. 371, p. 384, p. 394, p. 427, p. 429, p. 430, p. 431, p. 433, p. 437, p. 440, p. 454, p. 455, p. 519, p. 527, p. 537, p. 549, p. 576, p. 630, p. 757.
- Contributions towards a Cybele hibernica, being outlines of the geographical distribution of plants in Ireland. Dublin.E. Ponsonby, 1898. url .
- Contributions towards a fauna and flora of the county of Cork, read at the meeting of the British association held at Cork in the year 1843. The Vertebrata by Dr. Harvey. The Mollusca, Crustacea and Echinodermata by J.D. Humphreys. The flora by Dr. Power. (Published by the Cuvierian society of Cork) London, J. Van Voorst, 1845. url p. 74.
- Cybele Britannica: or British Plants and their geographical relations. London, 1847-59. url p. 212, p. 265.
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 683.
- Dairy farming: being the theory, practice, and methods of dairying / by J.P. Sheldon London; Cassell, Petter, Galpin & Co., [188-] url p. 169.
- Elementary flora of the Northwest, by Theodore C. Frye. .. and George B. Rigg. .. Cincinnati [etc.]American book company[c1914] url p. 44.
- Erythea. a journal of botany, West American and general. Berkeley, Calif., University of California, 1893-1922. url p. 125, p. 18.
- Family #15, Gramineae / Richard W. Pohl. 4 1980 [Chicago]: Field Museum of Natural History, 1980. url fig. 34 , p. 110, p. 111, p. 16, p. 598.
- Flora calpensis; contributions to the botany and topography of Gibraltar, and its neighbourhood. By E. F. Kelaart. London, J. van Voorst, 1846. url p. 168, p. 187.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 31.
- Flora of Costa Rica. .. by Paul C. Standley. .. 18 1937 Chicago, 1937. url p. 72.
- Flora of Delaware and the Eastern Shore: an annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of the peninsula of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. [Wilmington]: Society of Natural History of Delaware, 1946. url p. 22.
- Flora of Guatemala: part II: grasses of Guatemala / Jason R. Swallen; Bamboos / F.A. McClure. 24 1955 Chicago, Ill.: Chicago Natural History Museum, 1955. url p. 68, fig. 14, page 69, p. vii.
- Flora of Guernsey and the lesser Channel Islands: namely, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, and the adjacent islets. London, Dulau, 1901. url p. 201, p. 29, p. 439.
- Flora of Middlesex: a topographical and historical account of the plants found in the county: with sketches of its Physical Geography and climate and of the progress of Middlesex Botany during the last three centuries. London, R. Hardwicke1869. url p. 326.
- Flora of Peru... by J. Francis Macbride. 13 1936 Chicago, 1936- url p. 130.
- Flora of Plymouth: an account of the flowering plants and ferns found within twelve miles of the town; history of local botanical investigation. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 198.
- Flora of Sussex; or a list of the flowering plants & ferns found in the county of Sussex, with localities of the less common species. London, Simpkin [et al.]1907. url p. 143.
- Flora of Syria, Palestine, and Sinai: from the Taurus to Ras Muhammas and from the Mediterranean sea to the Syrian desert / by Rev. George E. Post. Beirut, Syria: Syrian Protestant college url p. 882.
- Flora of the Hawaiian islands: a description of their phanerogams and vascular cryptogams /by William Hillebrand; annotated and published after the author's death by W.F. Hillebrand. 1888 London: New York: Williams & Norgate; B. Westermann, 1888. url p. 536.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. 2 1934 [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 283.
- Flora of the vicinity of New York; a contribution to plant geography. [New York]1915 url p. 139.
- Flora vectensis: being a systematic description of the phænogamous or flowering plants and ferns indigenous to the Isle of Wight. London, W. Pamplin, 1856. url , , .
- Florigraphia britannica, or, Engravings and descriptions of the flowering plants and ferns of Britain / by Richard Deakin. London: Groombridge, 1857. url .
- Flowering plants of the Riviera: a sescriptive account of 1800 of the more interesting species / by H. Stuart Thompson; with an introduction on Riviera vegetation by A. G. Tansley London; New York: Longmans, Green, 1914. url p. 237.
- Flowers of the field. Rev. throughout and edited by Clarence Elliott. With an appendix including the Pipe-wort tribe (Eriocauleae) the Sedge tribe (Cyperaceae) and the Grass tribe (Gramineae) LondonG. Routledge[n.d.] url p. 342.
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E.T. Cook. [London]"Country Life" [etc., 1914] url .
- General indexes to the thirty-six volumes of English botany: to which is added, an alphabetical index to English fungi: making together, a catalogue of indigenous British plants. London: J. Sowerby, 1814. url p. 2.
- Grasses of the West Indies. By A. S. Hitchcock and Agnes Chase. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1917. url p. 394, p. 427, p. 429, p. 430, p. 431, p. 433, p. 437, p. 440, p. 454, p. 455.
- Grasses of the West Indies. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1917. url p. 394, p. 427, p. 429, p. 430, p. 431, p. 433, p. 437, p. 440, p. 454, p. 455.
- Grasses: a handbook for use in the field and laboratory / by H. Marshall Ward. Cambridge: University Press, 1901. url p. 112, p. 142, p. 17, p. 179, p. 184, p. 45.
- Grasses; a handbook for use in the field and laboratory. By H. Marshall Ward. Cambridge, University Press, 1908. url p. 10, p. 112, p. 142, p. 179, p. 184, p. 45.
- Gray's new manual of botany, a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, rearranged and extensively revised by Benjamin Lincoln Robinson. .. and Merritt Lyndon Fernald. .. New York, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Co.[c1908] url p. 154.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 199.
- Handbook of grasses, treating of their structure, classification, geographical distribution and uses, also describing the British species and their habitats. London, Macmillan, 1910. url , , .
- Handbook of the British flora: a description of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to, or naturalized in, the British Isles. For the use of beginners and amateurs. By George Bentham. London: L. Reeve & Co., 1920. url p. 537.
- Handbook to Bath; prepared on the occasion of the visit of the British Association, 1888. Bath, I. Pitman and Sons, 1888. url .
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 110, p. 151, p. 160, p. 177, p. 69, p. 89.
- Henderson's Handbook of plants and general horticulture / By Peter Henderson. New York, P. Henderson & Co., 1910. url p. 175.
- Hooker, J. D. The botany of the Antarctic voyage of H.M. discovery ships Erebus and Terror in the Years 1839-1843: under the command of Captain Sir James Clark Ross /by Joseph Dalton Hooker. 3 1860 London: Reeve Brothers, 1844-60. url p. cix.
- Hooker, W. J. et al. Niger flora;or, An enumeration of the plants of western tropical Africa, collected by the late Dr. Theodore Vogel, botanist to the voyage of the expedition sent by Her Britannic Majesty to the river Niger in 1841, under the command of Capt. H. D. Trotter, R.N., &c.; including Spicilegia gorgonea, by P. B. Webb, esq., and Flora nigritiana, by Dr. J. D. Hooker. .. and George Bentham, esq. with a sketch of the life of Dr. Vogel. Ed. by Sir W. J. Hooker. .. With two views, a map, and fifty plates. 1849 London, H. Bailliere; [etc., etc.] 1849. url p. 82.
- How to know the grasses; pictured-keys for determining the common and important American grasses, with suggestions and aids for their study. Dubuque, Iowa, W. C. Brown Co. url p. 45.
- Illustrations of British entomology; or, A synopsis of indigenous insects: containing their generic and specific distinctions. By James Francis Stephens. London:Printed for the author; published by Baldwin and Cradock, 1828-1835. url p. 110.
- Illustrations of the British flora: a series of wood engravings, with dissections, of British plants. London, L. Reeve, 1919. url .
- Introduction to physiological and systematical botany. London, Longman, 1819. url p. 177.
- Irish gardening. Dublin: Pub. Office, 1906-1922 url p. 184.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 1914 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 118, p. 118, p. 13, p. 198, p. 203, p. 208, p. 3, p. 358, p. 41, p. 47, p. 473, p. 6, p. 72, p. 80.
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. Chicago [etc.] url p. 382.
- Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall. Truro, Eng., Workers of Cornwall Ltd. url p. 248.
- Larva collecting and breeding: a handbook to the larvae of the British Macro-Lepidoptera and their food plants: both in nature and in confinement, with authorities / by J. Seymour St. John. London: W. Wesley, 1890 url p. 140.
- Leaflets of western botany. San Fransisco:[J. T. Howell], 1932-1966. url , p. 33, p. 354.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 499, p. 500, p. 519, p. 521, p. 627, p. 90.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 51.
- Magazine of zoology and botany. Edinburgh; Dublin. url p. 140.
- Manual of British botany, containing the flowering plants and ferns. Arranged according to the natural orders. London, J. Van Voorst, 1856. url .
- Manual of British botany: containing the flowering plants and ferns arranged according to the natural orders / by Charles Cardale Babington. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 405.
- Manual of British grasses / 1907 London: Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent,  url figures , figure , p. 17, p. 54, p. 83, illustrations in text, page x.
- Manual of the New Zealand flora. By T. F. Cheeseman. .. Wellington, N. Z., J. Mackay, Govt. Printer, 1906. url p. 1091.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 136.
- Manual of the grasses of the United States / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington: U.S. G.P.O., 1935. url p. 137, p. 138, p. 139, p. 811.
- Manual of the southeastern flora: being descriptions of the seed plants growing naturally in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, eastern Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. 1933 New York: The author, 1933. url p. 128.
- Manual of vascular plants of the lower Yangtze Valley, China. Corvallis, Oregon State College url p. 447, p. 584.
- Memoirs of the Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum of Polynesian Ethnology and Natural History. Honolulu: [Bishop Museum Press], 1899-1949. url , , p. 105, p. 123, p. 224, p. 225, p. 226, p. 227, p. 228, p. 229.
- Memoirs of the Literary and Philosophical Society of Manchester. Manchester: The Society, 1785-1879. url p. 178.
- Memoirs of the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1900- url p. 139.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 12 1981 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url fig. 18, page 38.
- Memorials, journal and botanical correspondence of Charles Cardale Babington. Cambridge, [Eng.]: Macmillan and Bowes, 1897. url p. 457, p. 64.
- Miyabe-festschrift, or A collection of botanical papers presented to Prof. Dr. Kingo Miyabe on the occasion of the twenty-fifth anniversary of his academic service by his friends and pupils. Tokio, Rokumeikwan, 1911. url p. 314.
- Natal plants: Descriptions and figures of Natal indigenous plants, with notes on their distribution, economic value, native names, &c., / by J. Medley Wood and Maurice S. Evans. Published under the auspices of Nat Durban: Bennett & Davis, Printers, 1898-1912. url , .
- Natal plants: descriptions and figures of Natal indigenous plants, with notes on their distribution economic value, native names, etc., etc. / By J. Medley Wood and Maurice S. Evans. Durban: Bennett & Davis, 1899 (i.e. 1898)-1912. url p. 281, p. 302, p. 305.
- Natural area inventory of Pender County, North Carolina / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url p. 157.
- Natural science. London: Macmillan & Co., [1892-1899] url p. 315.
- Natural science: a monthly review of scientific progress. London [etc.]: Macmillan and Company [etc.], [1892-1899] url p. 315.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 9 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 436.
- Niger flora; or, An enumeration of the plants of western tropical Africa, collected by the late Dr. Theodore Vogel, botanist to the voyage of the expedition sent by Her Britannic Majesty to the river Niger in 1841, under the command of Capt. H. D. Trotter, R.N., &c.; includ London, H. Bailliere; [etc., etc.]1849. url p. 82.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 4 1907 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 146.
- Occasional papers - San Diego Society of Natural History. San Diego, The Society. url p. 18, p. 18.
- Pamphlets. MelbourneGovt. Printer, 1918-42. url p. 13.
- Papers and proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. Hobart, Tasmania, The Society. url p. 133, p. 39, p. 68.
- Philosophical notes on botanical subjects. London, Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1892. url .
- Physiological plant anatomy, tr. by Montagu Drummond. London, MacMillan, 1914. url p. 225, p. 248.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 59.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 122, p. 226, p. 315, p. 352, p. 77.
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 384.
- Plant life of Alabama. An account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. Prepared in cooperationwith the Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1901. url .
- Plants for California landscapes: a catalog of drought tolerant plants. [Sacramento, Calif.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Water Resources,  url p. 108.
- Point Lobos Reseerve; State Park, California. Interpretation of a primitive landscape. Sacramento, [State Print. Off., 1954] url p. 88.
- Popular field botany; containing a familiar and technical description of the plants most common to the various localities of the British Isles, adapted to the study of either the artificial or natural systems. London, Reeve, Benham & Reeve, 1849. url p. 192.
- Preliminary catalog of Anthophyta and Pteridophyta, reported as growing spontaneously within one hundred miles of New York City. New York, 1888. url p. 89.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 458, p. 458.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences, 4th series. San Francisco, California Academy of Sciences. url p. 657.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 146, p. 181, p. 204, p. 62, p. 624, p. 625, p. 634, p. 663, p. 664, p. 667, p. 668, p. 89.
- Proceedings of the Royal Society of Victoria. Melbourne: The Society, 1889- url p. 217.
- Proceedings. Dorchester [etc.] url p. 129.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 20.
- Science and practice in farm cultivation. By James Buckman. London, R. Hardwicke, 1865. url p. 70.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 697.
- Seeds handbook for agriculture, horticulture and forestry, with a key for the identification of the important agricultural seeds = Handbuch der Samenkunde für Landwirtschaft, Gartenbau und Forstwirtschaft, mit einem Schlussel zur Bestimmung der wichtigsten landwirtschaftlichen Samen / Walther Brouwen and Adolf Stahlin. [S.l.: s.n.], 1980. url p. 148.
- Settler's guide and farmer's handbook. .. Issued by direction of the Bureau of agriculture. Ed. by L. Lindley-Cowen. .. pt. 1. Perth, E.S. Wigg, 1897- url p. 571.
- South African journal of science. [Marshalltown, Transvaal: South African Association for the Advancement of Science, url p. 153.
- Spicilegium florae Maroccanae / by John Ball. London: Printed by Taylor and Francis, 1878. url p. 722.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 189.
- The American farmer's encyclopedia and dictionary of rural affairs: embracing all the most recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry / adapted to the comprehension of unscientific readers by Gouverneur Emerson. Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 1844. url p. 936.
- The American farmer's encyclopedia: embracing all the recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry, and the use of mineral, vegetable and animal manures, with descriptions and figures of American insects, injurious to vegetation. Being by Gouverneur Emerson, of Pennsylvania, upon the basis of Johnson's Farmer's encyclopedia. New York: A.O. Moore, Agricultural Book Publisher, 1858, [c1857] url p. 936.
- The American farmer's encyclopedia; embracing all the recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry, New York, A. O. Moore, 1858. url p. 936.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 330, p. 347, p. 347.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 112, p. 227, p. 48.
- The Book of gardening; a handbook of horticulture. London, C. Scribner's Sons, 1900. url , .
- The British flora: comprising the phaenogamous or flowering plants, and the ferns / London, 1855. url , p. 555.
- The English flora. London, Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, [1828-30] url p. 133, p. 346, p. 132, p. 132.
- The English flower garden and home grounds: design and arrangement shown by existing examples of gardens in Great Britain and Ireland, followed by a description of the plants, shrubs, and trees for the open-air garden and their culture / by W. Robinson. London: J. Murray, 1911. url p. 464.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 563.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 12, p. 177, p. 67.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url p. 44, p. 44.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 1376.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 171, p. 766.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 40 1980 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 405.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 212, p. 373, p. 436.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 201.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 36 1903-05 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 422, p. 722.
- The London journal of botany: containing figures and descriptions of such plants as recommend themselves by their novelty, rarity, history, or uses: together with botanical notices and information and and occasional portraits and memoirs of eminent botanists. 3 1844 London: H. Baillie?re, 1842-1848. url p. 613.
- The Natural history of Juan Fernandez and Easter Island / edited by Carl Skottsberg. Uppsala: Almqvist & Wiksells Boktryckeri, 1920-1956. url , , p. 770, p. 922.
- The New Forest: its history and its scenery / by John R. Wise; with 63 illustrations by Walter Crane; engraved by W.J. Linton. London: Gibbings, 1895. url p. 254, p. 305.
- The New Forest; its history and its scenery. By John R. Wise. With 63 illustrations, drawn by Walter Crane, engraved by W.J. Linton, and two maps. London: Gibbings & co., 1895. url p. 254, p. 305.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 304, p. 379, p. 386, p. 549, p. 570, p. 638.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 1024, p. 1112, p. 1143, p. 161, p. 2, p. 262, p. 429, p. 435, p. 678, p. 726, p. 769, p. 966, p. 967.
- The Queensland flora: Queensland, Printed by H. J. Diddams & co., 1899-1902. url .
- The Tasmanian flora. Hobart, Tasmania, J. Vail, Govt. Printer, 1903. url .
- The Victoria history of the county of Cornwall / London: [A. Constable and Company], 1906- url p. 52, p. 53, p. 59.
- The botanical looker-out among the wild flowers of England and Wales, at all seasons, and in the most interesting localities. By Edwin Lees. .. London, Hamilton, Adams & Co., 1851. url p. 224.
- The farmer's and planter's encyclopaedia of rural affairs; embracing all the most recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry, suited to the comprehension of unscientific readers. By Cuthbert W. Johnson. .. With extensive additions adapting the work to the United States. .. By Gouverneur Emerson. .. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott & Co., 1868. url p. 936.
- The farmer's encyclopædia, and dictionary of rural affairs; embracing all the most recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry. Adapted to the comprehension of unscientific readers. .. By Cuthbert W. Johnson. .. Adapted to the United States by Gouverneur Emerson. Philadelphia, Carey and Hart, 1844. url p. 936.
- The field botanist's companion: comprising a familiar account, in the four seasons, of the most common of the wild flowering plants of the British Isles / by Thomas Moore. London: L. Reeve, 1862. url p. 345.
- The flora of British India /By J. D. Hooker assisted by various botanists. Published under the authority of the secretary of state for India in council. London: L. Reeve, 1875-97. url p. 336.
- The flora of British India. London, L. Reeve & Co., 1875-97. url .
- The genera of grasses of the United States: with special reference to the economic species / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, 1920. url p. 45.
- The grasses and grasslands of South Africa, Pietermaritzburg, P. David & Sons, Ltd., Printers, 1918. url , , , .
- The grasses of Britain / by Richard Parnell; drawn and engraved by the author. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood, 1845. url , , p. 24.
- The grasses of Great Britain, London, R. Hardwicke url .
- The grasses of Hawaii, by A. S. Hitchcock. Honolulu, Hawaii, Bishop Museum Press, 1922. url , p. 127, p. 129, p. 130, p. 131, p. 25, p. 7.
- The home florist: a treatise on the cultivation, management and adaptability of flowering and ornamental plants, designed for the use of amateur florists. Springfield, Ohio, C.A. Reeser url p. 229.
- The naturalisation of animals & plants in New Zealand, Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1922. url .
- The naturalised flora of South Australia / by J.M. Black. Adelaide: J.M. Black, 1909. url p. 181.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 172.
- The phanerogams of the Juan Fernandez Islands. url , .
- The rusts of Australia their structure, nature and classification / by D. McAlpine. Melbourne: Robt. S. Brain, government printer1906. url p. 122, p. 436, p. 445.
- The rusts of Australia, their structure, nature, and classification. Melbourne, Brain, 1906. url p. 330, p. 339.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 1394, p. 148, p. 3583.
- The student's flora of the British Islands. By J. D. Hooker. London: Macmillan and Co., 1870. url p. 447.
- The survey of western Palestine. The fauna and flora of Palestine, by H. B. Tristram. London, The Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund, 1884. url p. 446.
- Topographical botany: being local and personal records towards shewing the distribution of British plants traced through the 112 counties and vice-counties of England, Wales, and Scotland. London, B. Quaritch, 1883. url .
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 222, p. 24, p. 248, p. 251.
- Transactions and proceedings and report of the Royal Society of South Australia. Adelaide, Australia: The Society, 1880-1889. url p. 144.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Royal Society of South Australia (Incorporated). Adelaide: W.C. Rigby, 1912-1937. url p. 57, p. 9.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 140, p. 8.
- Transactions of the Hertfordshire Natural History Society and Field Club. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1879- url , p. 239.
- Tutira: the story of a New Zealand sheep station / by H. Guthrie-Smith. Edinburgh: Blackwood, 1921. url p. 249, p. 282.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- GBIF-Spain, Real Jardin Botanico
- , Vascular Plant Herbarium
- GBIF-Spain, Universidad de Oviedo. Departamento de Biología de Organismos y Sistemas: FCO
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2661528
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-41531
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:73828-3
- GRIN Nomen Number: 7727
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 41531
- MoBot NameID: 25509373
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PMPOA14030
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: BRMI2
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 25960
- "Briza minor". in Flora of China Vol. 22 Page 256, 257. Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 167.960 meters (551.050 feet), Standard Deviation = 334.270 based on 9,744 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]