Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Rattlesnake Fern, Common Grapefern
Common Names in French:
Botryche De Virginie
Common Names in unspecified:
or epiphytic. Roots
lacking root hairs
, unbranched or with a few narrow lateral
branches, in 1 species dichotomously branched. Stems simple
, unbranched, upright, with eustelic vascular tissue. Leaf bases
, forming sheath
, open or fused, surrounding successive leaf primordia; primordia glabrous
or with long, uniseriate
. Leaves 1(--2) per stem, with common stalk
, photosynthetic portion (trophophore) and fertile
, spore-bearing portion (sporophore
) . Trophophore blades
to simple, rarely absent, veins anastomosing or free
, pinnate, or arranged like ribs
of fan. Indument
absent or of widely scattered
, long, uniseriate hairs, especially on petioles
and rachises. Sporophores pinnately branched or simple. Sporangia exposed or embedded
, 0.5--1.5 mm diam., thick-walled, with thousands of spores. Spores all 1 kind, trilete, thick-walled, surface rugate, tuberculate
rods usually higher than wide), sometimes joined in delicate network
, mostly with ± warty surface. Gametophytes not green, usually fleshy
Genera 5, species ca. 70--80 (3 genera, 38 species in the flora ) : nearly worldwide.
Ophioglossaceae comprise two clearly defined subfamilies, Botrychioideae and Ophioglossoideae, which are sometimes recognized as distinct families. Ophioglossaceae may be only distantly related to the ferns and more closely related to Marattiales and certain seedplants, especially Cycadales, in such characteristics as stelar type, cork cambium , dilated leaf bases, conduplicate vernation , intercalary leaf growth, collateral leaf traces , circular-bordered pits, eusporangia, massive gametophytes, sunken archegonia, and presence in some species of endoscopic embryos.
occasionally branching laterally, yellowish to black, 0.5--2 mm diam., smooth
or with corky ridges
, not proliferous. Stems upright, forming caudex
to 5 mm thick; gemmae absent or minute, spheric. Trophophores ascending
to perpendicular to stem, sessile or stalked
, or deltate, simple
to 5-pinnate, 4--25 × 1--35 cm. Pinnae (reduced to segments in many species) spreading
to ascending, fan-shaped to lanceolate to linear; margins
entire to dentate
, apex rounded
or acute; veins free
, arranged like ribs
of fan or pinnate. Sporophores
normally 1 per leaf, 1--3-pinnate, long-stalked, borne at ground
level to high on common stalk
with sporangia sessile to short-stalked, almost completely exposed, borne in 2 rows
on pinnate (except in very small plants) sporophore branches. Gametophytes broadly ovate
, unbranched, 1--3 × 1--10 mm.
=44, 45, 92.
Species 50--60: nearly worldwide.
The greatest diversity in Botrychium is at high latitudes and high elevations , mostly in disturbed meadows and woods . Extensive field and laboratory research has revealed unexpected diversity in North America, especially in subg. Botrychium. For accurate identification, a substantial number of carefully spread and pressed leaves are usually needed because of the large amount of variation found in most species. Taking many samples will have little effect on the population as long as the underground shoots and roots are left intact. Approximately a dozen sterile hybrid combinations have been encountered, but they are very infrequent.
The range maps south of Canada reflect mostly local occurrences at high elevations (1000--3700 m ) in the mountains. The ranges for many of the species are probably more extensive and continuous than indicated by our present knowledge.
Species Botrychium virginianum
Trophophore sessile; blade
green, 3--4-pinnate, to 25 ×
33 cm, thin, herbaceous. Pinnae to 12 pairs, usually approximate
to overlapping, slightly ascending
between 1st and 2d pinnae
not or slightly more than between 2d and 3d pairs, lanceolate, divided
lanceolate and deeply lobed
0.5--1.5(--2) times length
of trophophore. 2 n =184. Leaves seasonal,
appearing in early spring
and dying in late summer. [source]
Botrychium virginianum is the most widespread Botrychium in North America. [source]
Flowers: Flower Color: inconspicuous, none
Size: 6-12" tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 4,653 meters (0 to 15,266 feet).
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Light Shade.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 4a, 4b, 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997, Nom. Nud.
- D.H. Scott
- (R. Brown, 1810) C. Agardh, 1822
- adder's tongue
- O. Swartz, 1801
- Grapefern, moonwort, botryche [Latin botry, bunch (of grapes), and - oides, like; in reference to the sporangial clusters]
- Specific epithet:
- (L.) Sw.
- Botanical name: - Botrychium virginianum (L.) Sw.
- Specific epithet: virginianum - (L.) Sw.
- Genus: Botrychium () - O. Swartz, 1801 - Grapefern, moonwort, botryche [Latin botry, bunch (of grapes), and - oides, like; in reference to the sporangial clusters]
- Family: Ophioglossaceae () - (R. Brown, 1810) C. Agardh, 1822 - adder's tongue
- Order: Ophioglossales () - Link
- Class: Psilotopsida () - D.H. Scott
- Infraphylum: Moniliformopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997, Nom. Nud.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Botrychium virginianum var. europaeum Angstr. • Botrypus Virginianus • Botrypus virginianus (L.) Holub • Botrypus virginianus (L.) Michx. • Japanobotrychium Virginianum • Japanobotrychium virginianum (L.) M. Nishida • Osmunda virginiana L. • Osmunda virginiana Linnaeus • Osmundopteris virginiana (L.) Small
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Botrychium
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 41 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
B. acuminatum (Moonwort) · B. ascendens (Trianglelobe Moonwort) · B. biternatum (Southern Grapefern) · B. boreale (North-Western Moonwort) · B. campestre (Iowa Moonwort) · B. crenulatum (Crenulate Moonwort) · B. dissectum (Cut-Leaf Grape Fern) · B. echo (Reflected Grape Fern) · B. gallicomontanum (Frenchman's Bluff Grapefern) · B. hesperium (Western Moonwort) · B. jenmanii (Alabama Grape Fern) · B. lanceolatum (Lance-Leaf Moonwort) · B. lanceolatum angustisegmentum (Lanceleaf Grapefern) · B. lanceolatum var. angustisegmentum (Lanceleaf Grapefern) · B. lanceolatum var. lanceolatum (Lance-Leaved Moonwort) · B. lineare (Narrowleaf Grapefern) · B. lunaria (Common Moonwort) · B. lunarioides (Winter Grape-Fern) · B. matricariifolium (Chamomile Grape-Fern) · B. minganense (Mingan Island Grapefern) · B. montanum (Mountain Moonwort) · B. mormo (Little Goblin Moonwort) · B. multifidum (Broadleaf Grapefern) · B. oneidense (Blunt-Lobe Grape-Fern) · B. pallidum (Pale Botrychium) · B. paradoxum (Peculiar Moonwort) · B. pedunculosum (Stalked Moonwort) · B. pinnatum (Northern Grapefern) · B. pseudopinnatum (False Daisyleaf Moonwort) · B. pumicola (Crater Lake Grapefern) · B. robustum (Leathery Grapefern) · B. rugulosum (Rugulose Grape-Fern) · B. simplex (Least Grape-Fern) · B. simplex var. simplex (Little Grapefern) · B. spathulatum (Spathulate Botrychium) · B. subbifoliatum (Island Grapefern) · B. virginianum (Rattlesnake Fern) · B. watertonense (Waterton Grapefern) · B. boreale (Scott's Spleenwort) · B. × watertonense (Waterton Grapefern) · B. zeylanicum (Kamraj)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A botanical exploration of the north shore of the gulf of St. Lawrence including an annotated list of the species of vascular plants, Ottawa, F. A. Acland, printer, 1922. url p. 58.
- A botanical survey of the Sugar Grove region / by Robert F. Griggs. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 306.
- A contribution to the knowledge of the flora of southeastern Minnesota. [Boston, Heliotype Print. Co.]1900. url p. 369.
- A dictionary of the flowering plants and ferns, by J. C. Willis. CambridgeThe University Press, 1919 url p. 90.
- A history of botany 1860-1900; being a continuation of Sachs History of botany, 1530-1860, ' by J. Reynolds Green. .. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1909. url p. 235.
- A history of botany, 1860-1900; being a continuation of Sachs "History of botany, 1530-1860". OxfordClarendon Press1909 url p. 235.
- A systematic catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to or growing wild in Ceylon. Colombo: G. J. A. Skeen, 1885. url .
- A text-book of botany and pharmacognosy: intended for the use of students of pharmacy, as a reference book for pharmacists, and a handbook for food and drug analysts / by Henry Kraemer. Philadelphia & London: J. B. Lippincott company[c1910] url p. 120.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 121, p. 35.
- Alaska / Harriman Alaska Expedition. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1901-1910. url p. 378.
- Alaska. New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1901- url p. 378.
- Alpine flora of the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Illustrated with water-colour drawings and photographs by Mrs. Charles Schäffer. New York, London, G. P. Putnam's sons, 1907. url p. 2, p. 2.
- American men of science; a biographical directory. New York, Science Press, 1906. url p. 166.
- An ecological study of prairie and forest invertebrates, Urbana, Ill., 1915. url .
- An illustrated flora of the Pacific States: Washington, Oregon, and California. Stanford University, Stanford University Press, 1923- url p. 4.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 6.
- Annales du Jardin botanique de Buitenzorg. Leiden [etc.]: E. J. Brill [etc.] url p. 139, p. 167, p. 168, p. 65.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 14.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 10, p. 48.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 19 1908 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 162, p. 171, p. 250.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 114.
- Annual report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1916-1921. url p. 202, p. 263.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 119, p. 123.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 254, p. 254, p. 46, p. 74, p. 75.
- Applied and economic botany for students in technical and agricultural schools, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, for chemists, food analysts and for the those engaged in the morphological and physiological study of plants. New York, Wiley url p. 365.
- Applied and economic botany, especially adapted for the use of students in technical schools, agricultural, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, and also as a book of reference for chemists, food analysts and students engaged in by Henry Kraemer. .. illustrated with 424 plates, comprising about 2000 figures. Philadelphia, The author[c1914] url p. 365, p. 365.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 1940-1941 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 13, p. 18, p. 27, p. 48, p. 73.
- Biologia centrali-americana; or, Contributions to the knowledge of the fauna and flora of Mexico and Central America. London, Pub. for the editors by R. H. Porter and Dulau & co., 1879-88. url .
- Biological series. TorontoUniversity Press [etc.]1898-1956. url , , , p. 10, p. 12, p. 13, p. 14, p. 16, p. 17, p. 18, p. 20, p. 21, p. 22, p. 23, p. 24, p. 26, p. 27, p. 28, p. 29, p. 30, p. 32, p. 4, p. 5, p. 6, p. 8.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 238, p. 280.
- Botanical microtechnique. Ames, Iowa State College Press url p. 142.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. 16 1909 [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 6.
- Budd's flora of the Canadian Prairie Provinces / [Ottawa]: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1987. url p. 32, p. 33, p. 34.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 284, p. 34.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 131, p. 275, p. 306.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 177.
- Bulletin from the laboratories of natural history of the State University of Iowa. Iowa City, Iowa: The University, 1888-. url p. 214, p. 41.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1951-1992. url p. 252.
- Bulletin of the Charleston Museum. [Charleston, S.C.: the Museum], 1907-1922. url p. 18.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url p. 267, p. 267, p. 583, p. 592, p. 592.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 4 1905-1907 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 467.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 43 1916 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 252, p. 263, p. 300, p. 345, p. 369, p. 40, p. 445, p. 54, p. 61, p. 66, p. 661, p. 668, p. 96.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 100, p. 101, p. 102, p. 103, p. 112, p. 114, p. 115, p. 141, p. 146, p. 16, p. 185, p. 187, p. 221, p. 227, p. 24, p. 25, p. 28, p. 31, p. 37, p. 46, p. 48, p. 49, p. 51, p. 52, p. 54, p. 59, p. 6, p. 60, p. 61, p. 63, p. 67, p. 68, p. 69, p. 74, p. 80, p. 83, p. 84, p. 95, p. 99.
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants, arranged according to the phyletic classification; with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Univ Columbus, The Ohio State University, 1914. url .
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants: arranged according to the phyletic classification: with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Uni by John H. Schaffner. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 131.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 136, p. 456, p. 48, p. 524, p. 636, p. 93.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 136, p. 456, p. 48, p. 924, p. 93.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 28.
- Checklists for the CORINE Biotopes Programme and its application in the PHARE countries of Central and East Europe: including comparisons with relevant conventions and agreements on the conservation of European species and habitats EC url p. 116.
- Conservation assessment of sensitive moonworts (Ophioglossaceae; Botrychium subgenus Botrychium) on the Kootenai National Forest / Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program, 1997. url , , , , , , , .
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1892- url , , , .
- Contributions from the Hull Botanical Laboratory. [Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1895- url p. 351, p. 356, p. 388, p. 389, p. 391, p. 46, p. 73.
- Contributions from the Osborn Botanical Laboratory. [New Haven?]Osborn Botanical Laboratory, Yale University, url p. 252.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 3 1892-1896 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 194, p. 245, p. 263, p. 268, p. 299, p. 30, p. 300, p. 301, p. 302, p. 303, p. 311, p. 52, p. 83, p. X.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 19 1993 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 89.
- Embryogenesis in plants. London, Methuen; url p. 118, p. 366.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 27, p. 3, p. 33, p. 41, p. 49, p. 63, p. 80, p. 9.
- FLORA OF RUSSIA A.A.Balkema Publishers url p. 93.
- Ferns and fern allies of Canada / [Ottawa]: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1989. url p. 100, p. 97, p. 98.
- Ferns and fern allies of Guatemala / Robert G. Stolze. 39 1976 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1976- url p. 8.
- Ferns of Kentucky: with sixty full-page etchings and six wood-cuts, drawn by the author, illustrating structure, fertilization, classification, genera, and species / by John Williamson. Louisville (Ky.): Printed by J.P. Morton & Co., W. Main Street, 1878 url p. 141.
- Flood tolerance of plant species in bottomland forests of the southeastern United States / 1992. url p. 119, p. 194.
- Flora of Berkshire County, Massachusetts. Boston, Printed for the Society, 1922. url , , p. 187, p. 200.
- Flora of Colorado, Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url .
- Flora of Colorado, by P. A. Rydberg, PH. D. Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url p. 1.
- Flora of Colorado, by P.A. Rydberg. Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url p. 1, p. 1.
- Flora of Delaware and the Eastern Shore: an annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of the peninsula of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. [Wilmington]: Society of Natural History of Delaware, 1946. url p. 1.
- Flora of Illinois, containing keys for identification of flowering plants and ferns. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame Press, 1963. url p. 42.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 38, p. 40.
- Flora of Japan: in English: combined, much revised and extended translation / by the author of his Flora of Japan (1953) and Flora of Japan, Pteridophyta (1957); edited by Frederick G. Meyer and Egbert H. Walker. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965. url p. 30.
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the ferns, conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb., 1923 url p. 10.
- Flora of New Bedford and the shores of Buzzards Bay, with a procession of the flowers. New Bedford [Mass.]E. Anthony, 1911. url p. 52.
- Flora of West Virginia, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh and Lawrence William Nuttall. 1 1896 Chicago, 1896. url p. 190.
- Flora of Winneshiek County. Des Moines: 1906. url , .
- Flora of southern British Columbia and Vancouver Island: with many references to Alaska and northern species / by Joseph Kaye Henry. Toronto: W.J. Gage, c1915. url .
- Flora of the District of Columbia and vicinity. By A.S. Hitchcock and Paul C. Standley, with the assistance of the botanists of Washington. WashingtonGovt. print. off.1919 url p. 52.
- Flora of the Indiana dunes, a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the lake Michigan Coast of Indiana and of the Calumet District, by Donald Culross Peattie. Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, 1930. url p. 33.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 73.
- Flora of the northwest coast, including the area west of the summit of the Cascade Mountains, from the forty-ninth parallel south to the Calapooia Mountains on the south border of Lane County, Oregon. Lancaster, Pa., Press of the New Era Printing Company, 1915. url .
- Flora of the northwest coast: including the area west of the summit of the Cascade Mountains, from the forty-ninth parallel south to the Calapooia Mountains on the south border of Lane County, Oregon / by Charles V. Piper and R. Kent Beattie. Lancaster, Pa.: Press of the New era printing company, 1915. url p. 9.
- Flora of the state of Washington / by Charles V. Piper. Washington: G.P.O., 1906 url p. 83.
- Flora of the state of Washington. By Charles V. Piper. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1906. url p. 83.
- Flora of the vicinity of New York; a contribution to plant geography. [New York]1915 url p. 21.
- Forests and dunes, from Point Betsie to Sleeping Bear, Evanston, Ill., Northwestern university[c1922] url p. 12.
- Forests and forestry of northern Russia and lands beyond / comp. by John Croumbie Brown. Edinburgh, Oliver and Boyd; [etc., etc.]1884- url p. 190.
- Fossil plants: for students of botany and geology / Cambridge: University Press, 1898-1919. url , , , .
- Fundamentals of botany / by C. Stuart Gager. Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Son & Co., c1916. url p. 176.
- Fundamentals of botany, Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co., 1916. url .
- Growth in living systems; proceedings. Edited by M.X. Zarrow assisted by Harry Beevers [and others]. New York, Basic Books url p. 595.
- Hand-list of ferns and fern allies cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. LondonPrinted for H.M. Stationery Off., by Darling1906 url p. 49.
- Handbook to the ferns of British India, Ceylon and the Malay peninsula; with supplement, Calcutta, Thacker, Spink;1892. url p. 471.
- Harriman Alaska series. City of Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1910-1914. url p. 378.
- Harriman Alaska series. vol. I-V, VIII-XIV Washington, D.C., Smithsonian Institution, 1910-14 url p. 378.
- Heredity and evolution in plants. Philadelphia, Blakiston, 1920. url p. 28.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 167, p. 176.
- Index filicum: a synopsis, with characters, of the genera, and an enumeration of the species of ferns, with synonymes, references, &c., &c. London: W. Pamplin, 1857. url p. 213.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 283, p. 311.
- Journal of applied microscopy and laboratory methods. Rochester, N.Y.: Publication Dept., Bausch & Lomb Optical Co., [1901-1903] url p. 2612.
- Journal of applied microscopy. Rochester, N.Y.: Publication Dept., Bausch & Lomb Optical Co., [1898-1900] url .
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 62.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url , p. 127, p. 127, p. 198.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 126, p. 41, p. 57.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 35 1934 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 147, p. 181, p. 203.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 186, p. 274, p. 292, p. 329, p. 51, p. 727.
- Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington [etc., Washington Academy of Sciences] url p. 587.
- Key to the Rocky Mountain flora. Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and parts of Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, and British Columbia. New York, [c1919] url .
- Lake Maxinkuckee. A physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. [Indianapolis]Dept. of Conservation, State of Indiana [Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 198.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. a physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. [Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 198.
- Lake Maxinkuckee: a physical and biological survey / by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. Indianapolis: Dept. of Conservation, 1920. url p. 198.
- List of rare, threatened and endemic plants in Europe (1982 edition) Council of Europe url p. 174, p. 183, p. 188, p. 224, p. 231, p. 245, p. 260, p. 296, p. 298, p. 310, p. 324, p. 33, p. 43.
- Methods in plant histology, by Charles J. Chamberlain. Chicago, University of Chicago Press[1933, c1932] url p. 311, p. 383.
- Methods in plant histology; by Charles J. Chamberlain. .. Chicago, Ill., The University of Chicago Press[c1915] url p. 230, p. 231, p. 294.
- Minnesota botanical studies. Minneapolis, Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. url , p. 249, p. 369, p. 369, p. 518, p. 619, p. 619.
- Miscellaneous papers on the botany of Michigan, by C. K. Dodge. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Published as a part of the Annual report of the Board of Geological Survey for 1920. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford, State Printers, 1921. url p. 168, p. 18, p. 79.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1965 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 50.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 10.
- Mycotrophy in plants; lectures on the biology of mycorrhizae and related structures. Waltham, Mass., Chronica Botanica Co., 1950. url p. 193.
- National Arboretum contribution. Washington, D.C.: The Arboretum: 1953- url p. 3.
- Natural area inventory of Pender County, North Carolina / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url p. 157.
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 23, p. 301, p. ix, p. xxi.
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 72.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 9 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 437.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 188.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 14 1923-1924 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 280.
- Observations on the flowering plants, ferns and fern allies growing wild in Marquette County, Michigan, in 1916 and 1917, especially in the vicinity of the Huron Mountain Club. Ann Arbor, Michigan, Published by the University, 1918. url .
- Organography of plants, especially of the archegoniatae and spermaphyta, ed. by Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford, Clar. Press, 1900-5. url p. 176, p. 177, p. 191, p. 198, p. 661.
- Phytogeography of Nebraska. 1. General survey by Roscoe Pound and Frederic E. Clements. Lincoln, Neb.Published by the Seminar1900 url p. 178, p. 420, p. 86.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 21, p. 23.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 114, p. 131, p. 19, p. 243, p. 274, p. 365, p. 67, p. 79.
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 311.
- Plant morphology. New York, McGraw-Hill, 1953. url p. 263, p. 264, p. 265, p. 268, p. 269.
- Practical botany / by Joseph Y. Bergen and Otis W. Caldwell. Boston: Ginn, c1911. url p. 288, p. 290.
- Practical botany by Joseph Bergen and Otis W. Caldwell. Boston: Ginn, c1911. url p. 288, p. 290.
- Practical botany, Boston, Ginn and company[c1911] url , .
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 116, p. 116, p. 404, p. 404.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 118, p. 2, p. 213.
- Proceedings of the Canadian Institute. Toronto, 1897-1904. url p. 8.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 155, p. 155, p. 236, p. 367, p. 367, p. 371, p. 371.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 626.
- Proceedings of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington, Washington Academy of Sciences. url p. 3, p. 48.
- Pteridophyta of Peru. Rolla M. Tryon, Robert G. Stolze. 20 1989 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, c1989. url list of illustrations , fig. 1 , p. 6, p. 7, p. 8, p. iii.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904-1916. url p. 111, p. 138.
- Report of the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. .. [Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution], 1848-1932. url p. 114.
- Report of the State Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1898-1925. url p. 13, p. 48, p. 940.
- Report on the progress and condition of the U.S. National Museum for the year ending June 30. .. / Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum. Washington: G.P.O., 1907-1951. url p. 219, p. 219.
- Reports of the Survey. Botanical series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892- url p. 249, p. 369, p. 619.
- Rock River area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, Natural History Survey Division, in conjunction with State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, IL: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1996- url p. 124, p. 51, p. 53.
- Roosevelt wild life bulletin. .. of the Roosevelt Life Forest Experiment Station of the New York College of Forestry at Syracuse University. Syracuse, N.Y.: The University, c1922- url p. 284.
- Science progress in the twentieth century: a quarterly journal of scientific work & thought. London: John Murray, 1906-1916. url , .
- Science progress. London: Scientific Press, [1894-1898] url p. 334.
- Selected western flora: Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta / Toronto: Macmillan Company of Canada, [c1915] url .
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 74, p. 75.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 144, p. 392.
- Status review of Botrychium minganense, U.S.D.A. Forest Service, Region 1, Lolo National Forest / prepared by Peter L. Achuff. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, . url p. 21.
- Studies in natural history. Iowa City, Ia. url , p. 156, p. 17, p. 214, p. 41, p. 54.
- Sturtevant's notes on edible plants / Edited by U.P. Hedrick. Albany: J.B. Lyon, 1919. url p. 99.
- Supplemental notes on the flora of Cap-a-l'Aigle by Robert Campbell. S.l.: s.n., 1892? url .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 17, p. 18, p. 19, p. 23, p. 5, p. 98.
- Synopsis filicum; or, A synopsis of all known ferns, including the Osmundaceae, Schizaeaceae, Marattiaceae, and Ophioglossaceae (chiefly derived from the Kew herbarium) Accompanied by figures representing the essential London, R. Hardwicke, 1874. url .
- Taxonomic literature: a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types (TL2) Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema, 1976-1988. url p. 152, p. 382.
- Textbook of theoretical botany, by R. C. McLean and W. R. Ivimey-Cook. London, Longmans, Green[1951- url p. 541, p. 547.
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 158, p. 274, p. 73.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 161.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 38 1924 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url mousley , fig. 8 , p. 112, p. 139, p. 14, p. 176, p. 2, p. 20, p. 218, p. 264, p. 27, p. 38, p. 41, p. 495, p. 50, p. 522, p. 59, p. 63, p. 66, p. 71.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 160.
- The Canadian naturalist and quarterly journal of science: with proceedings of the Natural History Society of Montreal. Montreal: Dawson, 1869-1883. url p. 30, p. 366.
- The Canadian record of science. Montreal, Natural History Society. url p. 40.
- The Eusporangiatae, the comparative morphology of the ophioglossaceae and marattiaceae. Washington, Carnegie Institute, 1911. url , p. 101, p. 215, p. 221, p. 223, p. 227, p. 25, p. 46, p. 53, p. 67, p. 83.
- The Eusporangiatae; the comparative morphology of the Ophioglossaceae and Marattiaceae, Washington, D. C., Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1911. url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 340, p. 388.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 134, p. 251.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 428, p. 612, p. 648.
- The Journal of the Iowa Academy of Science: JIAS. Cedar Falls, Iowa: The Academy, 1988- url p. 133.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 25 1890 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 101, p. 159, p. 362, p. 448, p. 499, p. 526.
- The Natural history of the Toronto Region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. -- Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url p. 147.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url p. 73.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 187, p. 189, p. 207, p. 303, p. 341, p. 8, p. 88.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url , p. 87, p. 97.
- The Philippine journal of science. 4 1909 Manila. url p. 7.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 148, p. 151.
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 133, p. 275, p. 313, p. 315.
- The Queensland flora: Queensland, Printed by H. J. Diddams & co., 1899-1902. url .
- The Tasmanian flora. Hobart, Tasmania, J. Vail, Govt. Printer, 1903. url .
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 39 1958 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 141, p. 542, p. 545.
- The botanic gardens list of rare and threatened species IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 4.
- The century supplement to the dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / by Geo. Nicholson. .. [et al.]. Hyde Park, Mass.: Geo. T. King; 1901. url p. 633.
- The encyclopedia of gardening. A dictionary of cultivated plants, etc., giving in alphabetical sequence the culture and propagation of hardy and half-hardy plants, trees and shrubs, orchids, ferns, fruit, vegetables, hothouse and g London, W. H. & L. Collingridge url .
- The fern lover's companion; a guide for the Northeastern States and Canada. Melrose, Mass., The Author[c1922] url .
- The ferns (Filicales) treated comparatively with a view to their natural classification, by F. O. Bower. Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1923-28. url p. 64, p. 75, p. 78.
- The ferns of Bombay, Bombay, D. B. Taraporevala Sons & Co., 1922. url .
- The ferns of Bombay, by E. Blatter & J. F. d'Almeida. With 2 coloured and 15 black and white plates and 43 text figures. Bombay: D. B. Taraporevala Sons & Co., 1922. url p. 224.
- The flora of the town of Southold, Long Island, and Gardiner's Island / New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1914? url p. 229.
- The gametophyte of Botrychium virginianum by Edward C. Jeffrey. Toronto?: s.n., 1898? url .
- The morphology of pteridophytes; the structure of ferns and allied plants. London, Hutchinson University Library url p. 137, p. 139.
- The native flowers and ferns of the United States in their botanical, horticultural and popular aspects. Series [I]-II. Boston, L. Prang, 1878-1880. url .
- The natural history of the Toronto region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url p. 147.
- The orchids in the Ottawa District: floristics, phytogeography, population studies and historical review / Joyce M. Reddoch and Allan H. Reddoch. 111 1997 Ottawa, Canada: The Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club,  url p. 112, p. 27, p. 63, p. 66.
- The origin of a land flora, a theory based upon the facts of alternation, London, Macmillan and Co., Ltd., 1908. url , , , , , , , , , , , .
- The origin of a land flora: a theory based upon the facts of alternation / by F. O. Bower. With numerous illustrations. London: Macmillan, 1908. url p. 182, p. 446, p. 462, p. 469, p. 470, p. 473, p. 475, p. 489, p. 671, p. 672.
- The plant life of Maryland, by Forrest Shreve [et al.] Baltimore, Johns Hopkins Press, 1910. url p. 233, p. 257, p. 259, p. 280, p. 386.
- The plants of Prince Edward Island / Ottawa: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1985. url p. 46, p. 48.
- The plants of Southern New Jersey with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, N. J., 1911. url .
- The plants of Southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the Pine Barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 119.
- The plants of southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 119.
- The principles of plant-teratology. London, The Ray Society, 1915-1916. url .
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 1219, p. 3582.
- The structure and development of mosses and ferns (Archegoniatae) New York, Macmillan, 1905. url p. 640.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url , p. 100, p. 100, p. 11, p. 113, p. 123, p. 130, p. 131, p. 133, p. 133, p. 158, p. 160, p. 179, p. 193, p. 207, p. 224, p. 248, p. 257, p. 280, p. 48, p. 60, p. 75, p. 76, p. 78, p. 86.
- Transactions of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Canadian Institute. url p. 145, p. 18, p. 187, p. 189, p. 203, p. 23, p. 230, p. 240, p. 265, p. 269, p. 273, p. 275, p. 277, p. 279, p. 283, p. 284, p. 285, p. 287, p. 288, p. 289, p. 291, p. 333, p. 382, p. 389, p. 397, p. 483, p. 56.
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url p. 283, p. 283.
- Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. Springfield, Ill., Illinois State Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 101.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 291.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 144, p. 173, p. 185, p. 26, p. 39, p. 45, p. 47, p. 62, p. 81.
- Transactions of the Sapporo Natural History Society. Sapporo, Japan, Sapporo Natural History Society, Hokkaido Imperial University. url p. 125, p. 125, p. 180.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 89.
- Who's who among the ferns, comp. and illustrated by W. I. Beecroft. New York, Moffat, Yard, 1910. url p. 196, p. 204.
- Wild flowers of the North American mountains. New York, McBride, 1917. url p. 370, p. 55.
- World Plant Conservation Bibliography WCMC, Royal Botanic Gardens url p. 410, p. 617.
- Wrightia. 1 1949 Richardson, Tex. [etc.]University of Texas at Dallas. url p. 253, p. 268.
- Clausen, R.T. 1938. A monograph of the Ophioglossaceae. Mem. Torrey Bot. Club. 19(2): 1--177.
- Wagner, F. S. 1993. Chromosomes of North American grapeferns and moonworts (Ophioglossaceae: Botrychium). Contr. Univ. Michigan Herb. 19: 83--92.
- Wagner, W.H. Jr. and F.S. Wagner. 1983. Genus communities as a systematic tool in the study of New World Botrychium (Ophioglossaceae). Taxon 32: 51--63.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- Comisión nacional para el conocimiento y uso de la biodiversidad, Herbario del Instituto de Ecología, A.C., México
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- Oregon State University, Vascular Plant Collection
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- University of Alaska Museum of the North, University of Alaska Museum of the North Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2644433
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-17173
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13851360
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:1106719-2
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 17173
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 17267720
- MoBot NameID: 26602189
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PPOPH010H0
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: BOVIE2
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 25571
- Warren H. Wagner Jr., Florence S. Wagner "Ophioglossaceae". in Flora of North America Vol. 2. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Warren H. Wagner Jr., Florence S. Wagner "Botrychium". in Flora of North America Vol. 2. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Botrychium virginianum". in Flora of North America Vol. 2. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 324.190 meters (1,063.615 feet), Standard Deviation = 391.840 based on 2,775 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]