America with attractive pink or white
flowers. The prickly fruits contain 50 or so seeds with a scarlet,
waxy covering that yields a bright yellow dye.
Source of commercial annatto. Originates in the lowlands of S.America. Stands in Guiana along rivers , but maybe v. long cultivated. Ecuadorian Siona Indians cultivate 3 forms of B .orellana. (Outside America, dried capsicum had similar roles). Probably originally domesticated for body paint, against evil, for war, and against insects. Good for lipstick etc. Use for Cloth, Dyes may have arisen later. It is also used as a medicine against epilepsy, fever and VD, and as a chocolate additive in Mexico. Smith et al. (1992) state that, like sweet potato, it was in the Pacific area before the Europeans: Marquesas inhabitants knew about it when first missionaries arrived. Maybe Portuguese took It to eg Timor and Moluccas and thence. Or Peruvian or Polynesian travellers may have dispersed it. However, Burkill (1935) stated that the Spanish took it to the Philippines, and thence it went to the Moluccas. Hindus use it as a dye in their Holi festical, but this use is farily recent; in 1808 its use was said to be 'rapidly spreading over Bengal'. Its use in Europe and USA was replaced by Red Dye no. 3 until that was implicated in cancer and banned. Bixin, identified in 1825, is used to color butter, cheese, chocolate, and still not synthesised.
- Bixa orellana is cultivated for the red, oil-soluble pigment, bixin, which is contained in the seed coat . It is used commercially as a food colorant and as a fabric dye. A paste prepared from the seeds is used as a skin paint (a common name is "lipstick tree") and as a condiment. Other parts of the plant are widely used in tropical America for a variety of medicinal purposes. [source]
- When soaked or boiled in water, compounds from the Anatto's leaves are used to treat a variety of ailments, such as diarrhea , dysentery, sores, rashes, and swellings.
- The red pulp from the fruit and seeds is used as a flavoring and as a dye for products such as lipstick. The dye is also used commercially to color such foods as butter, cheese, and chocolates.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Bengali:
Common Names in Bulgarian:
Achiote, Ačiote, Ачиоте
Common Names in Catalan, Valencian:
Common Names in Chinese:
Hong Mu, yan Zhi Mu, yan Zhi Shu, 红木
Common Names in Czech:
Annata, Oreláník barvířský
Common Names in Danish:
Annatobusken, Orleantræ, Smørfarvetræ
Common Names in Dutch:
Achiote, Anatto, Annotto, Orleaan, Orleaanboom, Rocou
Common Names in English:
Annato, Achiote, Anatto, Anatto Tree, Annatto, Annatto Plant, Annatto Seeds, Annatto Tree, Arnatto, Arnotto Dye Plant, Lipstick Plant, Lipstick Tree, Lipsticktree, Roucou, Urucum
Common Names in Estonian:
Annatopõõsa, Värvibiksa, Värvibiksa
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Achiote, Annato, Atole, Rocou, Rocouyer, Roucou, Roucou (West Indies), Roucouyer
Common Names in Georgian:
Common Names in German:
Anatto, Anattosamen, Anattostrauch, Annatto, Annattosamen, Annattostrauch, Orleansamen, Orleansbaum, Orleansstrauch, Orleanstrauch, Orleanstrauch Orlean-Strauch
Common Names in Guaraní:
Common Names in Haitian, Haitian Creole:
Common Names in Hindi:
Induriya, Lathwa, Latkan, Latkana, Sindhuri, इनदुिनया, लालकन
Common Names in Hungarian:
Bjoul, Orleánfa, Orleánfa, Ruku
Common Names in Indonesian:
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Achiote, anatoo, anatto, Be-Ni-No-Ki, Beni No Ki, Beninoki, ベニノキ
Common Names in Kazakh:
Common Names in Khmer:
Châm´ Puu, Châm´ Puu Chrâluëk´
Common Names in Korean:
A Chi O Te, a Na To, A-Ci-O-Te, A-Na-To, Achiote, Anato, bik Sa Sok, 아나토, 아치오테
Common Names in Lao:
Dok Kham, Sa Ti
Common Names in Laotian:
Kh´am, Sômz Phuu, Satii
Common Names in Lithuanian:
Common Names in Malay:
Jarak Belanda, Kesumba (Indonesia), Kesumba Kling (Indonesia), Kunyit Jawa
Common Names in Malayalam:
Common Names in Marathi:
Common Names in Nepalese:
Common Names in Polish:
Arnota, Arnota właściwa
Common Names in Portuguese:
Açafroa, Açafroa Do Brasil, Açafroeira-Da-Terra, Açafroa-Do-Brasil, Acafroeira Da Terra (Brazil), Anato, Annato (Brazil), Colorau, Urucú, Urucú (Brazil), Urucú Bravo (Brazil), Urucú Da Mata (Brazil), Urucú-Bravo, Urucú, Urucu (planta), Urucum, Urucum (Brazil)
Common Names in Quechua:
Common Names in Russian:
Achiote, annato, biksa, Biksa Orel´ina, Pomadnoe Derevo, Аннато, Бикса, Помадное дерево
Common Names in Serbian:
Common Names in Slovak:
Common Names in Spanish:
Achihuite (Colombia), Achiote, Achiote Caspi, Achiotl (Nahuatl), Achote, Achote (Panama), Annato, Bija, Bija (Puerto Rico), Bijol, Chacuanguarica (Puerto Rico), Onoto (Venezuela), Pumacua (Puerto Rico), Roucou
Common Names in Sundanese:
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Tagalog:
Achuete, Achwete, Asuete, Atsuete, Echuete
Common Names in Tamil:
Cappirā, Jabra, kongaram, Kŏṅkāram, Sappira, கொங்காரம், சப்பிரா
Common Names in Thai:
Kam Sêt, Kam Saed, Kam Tai, kham Faet, kham Ngae, kham Ngo, kham Saet (Bangkok), kham Thai, Sati, คำแสด
Common Names in Turkish:
Common Names in Ukrainian:
Common Names in unspecified:
Common Names in Vietnamese:
Diêù Nhuôm, Ht Iu Màu, Điều nhuộm
Common Names in Visayan:
or small trees
. Young branches and leaves with peltate scales
. Leaves alternate; stipules small, sheathing
swollen at base
and apex; leaf blade
, palmately veined. Inflorescence a terminal
panicle. Flowers bisexual
. Sepals 5, free
, imbricate, with basal, abaxial
, fugacious. Petals 5, imbricate, large and conspicuous
. Stamens many, free or slightly united
at base; anthers
, with 2 inverted
, U-shaped thecae, dehiscing by short, apical slits on bend
. Ovary superior, 1-loculed; ovules many on 2 parietal
placentas; style slender; stigmas 2-lobed. Fruit a capsule, loculicidally 2-valved, usually spiny
. Seeds many; testa red, slightly fleshy
; embryo large; cotyledons broad, incurved
at apex; endosperm copious
One genus and five species: native to tropical America; one species widely cultivated in tropical regions , including China.
Molecular data suggest that the genus Diegodendron Capuron, endemic to Madagascar, is related to Bixa and could be included within the Bixaceae.
Species Bixa orellana
Shrubs or small trees , evergreen , 2-5(-10) m tall. Branches brown, densely red-brown glandular hairy . Petiole erect , 2.5-5 cm, glabrous ; leaf blade abaxially pale green, with resinlike gland dots, adaxially deep green, cordate-ovate or triangular-ovate, (5-) 10-25 × (3.3-) 5-13(-16.5) cm, palmately 5-veined, glabrous, base rounded or subtruncate, sometimes slightly cordate, margin entire, apex acuminate. Panicles robust , often flat-topped, 5-10 cm, densely red-brown scaly and glandular hairy; bracts caducous , leaving scalelike scars . Flowers 4-5 cm in diam.; pedicel 4-12 mm. Sepals obovate , 8-10 × ca. 7 mm, densely red-brown scaly, with glands at base. Petals bright pink, mauve , or white with pale red veins, obovate, (1-) 1.5-3 × 0.8-2 cm. Stamens many; anthers yellow, apically dehiscent . Capsule subglobose or ovoid , slightly laterally compressed , (1.4-) 2-4.5 cm, usually densely purple-brown spiny , rarely smooth ; spines 1-2 cm. Seeds numerous , red-brown, obovoid-angular, 4-5 mm. [source]
Habit: Tree , Shrub
Flowers: Bloom Period: July, August, September, October, November. • Flower Color: pale pink, pink
Size: 6-8' tall.
Cultivated, tolerant of poor soils but intolerant of shade (Ref. 52416).
Culture: Space 10-12' apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 6.6 • Maximum pH: 7.8
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 11. (map)
- Chatton, 1925
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997, nom. inval.
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Novák ex Takht. (1967)
- Subclass: Magnoliidae () - Novák ex Takhtajan, 1967 - Angiosperms
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Novák ex Takht. (1967) - Dicotyledons
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997, nom. inval.
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Orellana Orellana • Orellana orellana (L.) Kuntze
Publishing author : L. Publication : Sp. Pl. 1: 512 1753 [1 May 1753]
Members of the genus Bixa
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants / Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1875. url , .
- A bibliographic enumeration of Bornean plants, by E. D. Merrill. Singapore, Printed by Fraser & Neave, ltd., 1921 url p. 410, p. 410.
- A botany for India, by P. F. Fyson. London, The Christian Literature Society for Indian (Madras Branch)1912. url p. 242.
- A catalogue of the Coccidæ of the world. [By] Mrs. Maria E. Fernald, A.M. Amherst, Mass., Carpenter & Morehouse, 1903. url p. 227.
- A compendium of physiological and systematic botany, by George Sumner. Hartford, O. D. Cooke, 1820. url p. 84.
- A descriptive catalogue of useful fiber plants of the world: including the structural and economic classifications of fibers / by Charles Richards Dodge. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1897. url p. 324, p. 84.
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 168.
- A dictionary of the plant names of the Philippine Islands / by Elmer D. Merrill. Manila: Bureau of Public Print., 1903. url p. 11, p. 17, p. 8.
- A general history of the dichlamydeous plants, comprising complete descriptions of the different orders; together with the characters of the genera and species, and an enumeration of the cultivated varieties. .. the scientific names accentuated, t By George Don. London, J.G. and F. Rivington [etc.]1831-38. url p. 294.
- A general index of the agricultural reports of the Patent Office, for twenty-five years, from 1837 to 1861; and of the Department of Agriculture, for fifteen years, from 1862 to 1876. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1879. url p. 194.
- A handbook of systematic botany; with a revision of the fungi, by E. Knoblauch; tr. and ed. by M.C. Potter. London, Swan url p. 412.
- A handbook to the flora of Natal / by J. Medley Wood. Durban, Natal: Bennett & Davis, Printers, 1907. url p. 21.
- A history of the vegetable kingdom: embracing the whole physiology of plants with their uses to man and the lower animals, and their application in the arts, manufactures, and domestic economy. LondonBlackie1866 url p. 101, p. 517.
- A history of the vegetable kingdom; embracing the physiology of plants, with their uses to man and the lower animals, and their application in the arts, manufactures, and domestic economy. Illus. by several hundred figures. London, Blackie and Son, 1855. url .
- A manual of agricultural chemistry, by Herbert Ingle. With 16 illustrations. London, Scott, Greenwood & son, 1913. url p. 357, p. 384.
- A manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants. By John Hutton Balfour. London: J. J. Griffin [etc.] 1851. url p. 149.
- A manual of gardening for western and southern India, by R. Riddell. Ed. and rev. by Lieutenant-colonel Boddam. Madras: Higginbotham and co., 1884. url p. 109.
- A manual of organic materia medica and pharmacognosy; an introduction to the study of the vegetable kingdom and the vegetable and animal drugs (with syllabus of inorganic remedial agents) comprising the botanical and physical characteristics, source, con Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 584.
- A manual of scientific terms, pronouncing, etymological, and explanatory, chiefly comprising terms in botany, natural history, anatomy, medicine, and veterinary science, with an appendix of specific names. Designed for the use of by Rev. James Stormonth Edinburgh, Maclachlan and Stewart, 1885 url p. 33, p. 51.
- A manual on cattle; for the use of the farmers of Georgia. Atlanta, Ga., J. P. Harrison & Co., printers, 1880. url p. 140.
- A practical flora for schools and colleges, by Oliver R. Willis. New York, American Book Co.[c1894] url p. 63.
- A review of the identifications of the species described in Blanco's Flora de Filipinas, Manila, Bureau of public printing, 1905. url p. 113, p. 18.
- A student's text-book of botany / by Sydney H. Vines. London: Macmillan, 1895. url p. 606.
- A student's text-book of botany, by Sydney H. Vines. With 483 illustrations. London, Macmillan & co., 1896. url .
- A supplement to the Pharmacopia, and treatise on pharmacology in general: including not only the drugs and preparations used by practitioners of medicine, but also most of those employed in the chemical arts: together with a collection of the most useful medical formulæ. . by Samuel Frederic Gray. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman, 1836. url p. 203.
- A text book of materia medica, being an account of the more important crude drugs of vegetable and animal origin, designed for students of pharmacy and medicine. London, Churchill, 1920. url p. 548.
- A year in Fiji, or, An inquiry into the botanical, agricultural, and economical resources of the colony. By John Horne. .. Published at the request of the Hon. Sir A. H. Gordon. .. London: E. Stanford; [etc., etc.], 1881. url p. 258.
- Agricultural news. Bridgetown, Barbados, Bowen & sons;1902-22. url p. 103, p. 417, p. 418.
- Agricultural pamphlets. [1850-62] url p. 38.
- Agriculture, ancient and modern: a historical account of its principles and practice, exemplified in their rise, progress, and development. By Samuel Copland, the "Old Norfolk farmer" of the Mark Lane Express. . London, Virtue and company, 1866. url p. 190.
- American farming and stock raising, with useful facts for the household, devoted to farming in all its departments, ed. by Charles L. Flint; with an appendix by Manly Miles. Illustrated with over six hundred engravings. New York, Casselberry, 1892. url p. 1087.
- An account of a voyage in search of La Pérouse, undertaken by order of the Constituent Assembly of France, and performed in the years 1791, 1792, and 1793, in the Recherche and Esperance, ships of war, under the command of Rear-Admiral Bruni d'Entr Translated from the French of M. Labillardière. Illustrated with forty-three engravings, and a chart. .. London: Printed for B. Uphill, 1802. url p. xlix.
- An annotated catalogue of types of the University of Illinois mycological collections (ILL) / Urbana: University of Illinois Press, c1997. url p. 291.
- An encyclopaedia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. London, Printed for Longman, Ross, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1828. url p. 920.
- An encyclopædia of agriculture: comprising the theory and practice of the valuation, transfer, laying out, improvement, and management of landed property; and the cultivation and economy of the animal and vegetable productions of ag By J. C. Loudon. London: Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1826. url p. 198.
- An encyclopædia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. .. illustrated with many hundred engravings on wood by Branston. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1827. url p. 920.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 103.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 125, p. 89.
- An illustrated dictionary of scientific terms. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, pref. 1878. url p. 22, p. 245, p. 52.
- Annals of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Peradeniya. Colombo: Skien; 1901-1924. url p. 372.
- Annals of tropical medicine and parasitology. LiverpoolUniversity Press [etc.] url p. 438.
- Annual report / Field Museum of Natural History. [Chicago]: The Museum, [1965-1966] url p. 119.
- Annual report of the Bureau of American Ethnology to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: U. S. Govt. Print. Off., 1897- url p. 126, p. 133, p. 219, p. 282, p. 29, p. 59, p. 724, p. 80.
- Annual report of the Bureau of Ethnology to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: G.P.O., 1881-1897. url p. 222, p. 53.
- Archivos. Rio de JaneiroImprensa Nacional url p. 39, p. 43.
- Beautiful flowering shrubs, London, Cassell & company, ltd.,  url p. 71.
- Biologia centrali-americana; or, Contributions to the knowledge of the fauna and flora of Mexico and Central America. London, Pub. for the editors by R. H. Porter and Dulau & co., 1879-88. url , .
- Botanic drugs, their materia medica, pharmacology, and therapeutics, by Thomas S. Blair. Cincinnati, O.: The Therapeutic digest publishing co., 1917. url p. 342.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 134.
- Botanical publications of E.D. Merrill. [New York, etc., 1899- url , p. 410.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 100, p. 130, p. 136, p. 155, p. 28, p. 56, p. 82, p. 87.
- Bulletin / Field Museum of Natural History. [Chicago]: The Museum, 1966-1972. url p. 4.
- Bulletin / Hatch Experiment Station of the Massachusetts Agricultural College. [S.l.: s.n.], 1888- url p. 227.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 121, p. 123, p. 124, p. 136, p. 146, p. 171, p. 180, p. 2, p. 20, p. 220, p. 237, p. 24, p. 247, p. 252, p. 271, p. 282, p. 30, p. 307, p. 324, p. 397, p. 478, p. 5, p. 541, p. 65, p. 68, p. 698, p. 873, p. 901, p. 968, p. 975, p. 99.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of Experiment Stations. Washington: G.P.O., url p. 36.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1914 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 255.
- Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College. 90 1942 Cambridge, Mass.: The Museum, 1863- url p. 125, p. 165, p. 177, p. 209.
- Bulletin of the Natural History Museum. London: The Natural History Museum, c1993-2002. url , , , , , , , , , , .
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 16 1889 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 19.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 57, p. 86.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url , .
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 2, p. 2, p. 210.
- Carotenoids, by Paul Karrer and Ernst Jucker. Translated and rev. by Ernest A. Braude. New York, Elsevier Pub. Co., 1950. url p. 256, p. 364, p. 75.
- Carotenoids, their comparative biochemistry. New York, Chemical Pub. Co., 1954. url p. 43.
- Carotinoids and related pigments: the chromolipoids. New York: The Chemical Catalog Company, Inc., 1922. url p. 21.
- Catalogue of economic plants in the collection of the U. S. Department of Agriculture. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1891. url .
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 255.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 255.
- Catalogue of the collections in the museum of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain compiled by E.M. Holmes. London, The Society, 1878. url p. 277, p. 9.
- Catalogue of the library of the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University / compiled under the direction of Charles Sprague Sargent by Ethelyn Maria Tucker. Cambridge: Printed at the Cosmos Press, 1914-1933. url p. 125.
- Chambers's information for the people; edited by William and Robert Chambers. London, Chambers, 1884. url p. 344, p. 84.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 274, p. 376, p. 515, p. 557.
- Cocoa. By Dr. C. J. J. van Hall. London: Macmillan and Co., limited, 1914. url p. 276.
- Colonial and Indian Exhibition, 1886 official catalogue. London: W. Clowes, 1886. url .
- Coloring matters for foodstuffs and methods for their detection. . .. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1905 url p. 9.
- Common trees of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands / by Elbert L. Little, Jr., and Frank H. Wadsworth. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, 1964. url , p. 358, p. 531.
- Conservation and sustainable management of trees, report of the third regional workshop, held at Army Hotel, Hanoi, Viet Nam, 18-21 August, 1997 WCMC url p. 116.
- Conservation and utilisation of the plant genetic resources of Mexico and Central America: Project Progress Report WCMC url .
- Contributions from the Herbarium of Columbia College. New York: Columbia College, 1886-1896. url p. 19.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 50 2004 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 129, p. 175, p. 184, p. 199, p. 201, p. 230, p. 235, p. 265, p. 270, p. 303, p. 34, p. 374, p. 398, p. 399, p. 412, p. 425, p. 43, p. 443, p. 461, p. 464, p. 500, p. 60, p. 74, p. 76, p. 807, p. 83, p. 834, p. 836, p. 84, p. 92, p. IX, p. X.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 9 1966 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 102, p. 114, p. 117, p. 21, p. 641.
- Cooperative economic insect report. Hyattsville, MD. [etc.]Plant Protection and Quarantine Programs Animal and Plant Health Service. url p. 1127, p. 231, p. 269.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 35 1812 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url , , p. 190, p. 27, p. 7, p. 8.
- Dairy chemistry, London, Macmillan & Co., Ltd.1906  url .
- Dairy chemistry, by Harry Snyder. New York, Macmillan, 1906. url p. 71.
- Department of the Interior, Bureau of Government Laboratories. Manila: Bureau of Public Print., 1902-1906. url p. 57.
- Descriptive catalogue of the Formosan fungi / by Kaneyoshi Sawoda. Taihoku, Formosa: Agricultural Experiment Station, 1919- url p. 163, p. 249.
- Dr. Chase's third, last and complete receipt book and household physician: or practical knowledge for the people an invaluable collection of practical recipes. .. to which have been added a rational treatment of pleurisy, inflamation of the lungs and other inflamatory diseas by A.W. Chase. Detroit, Mich.: F. B. Dickerson Company, c1903. url p. 642.
- Edinburgh encyclopaedia, conducted by David Brewster. .. with the assistance of gentlemen eminent in science and literature. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1830. url p. 281.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 168.
- Ethnology of the Mayas of southern and central British Honduras / by J. Eric Thompson -- Berthold Laufer -- ed. Chicago:Field Museum Press, 1930. url p. 129, p. 184, p. 205, p. 208.
- Exotic ornithology: containing figures and descriptions of new or rare species of American birds / 1869 London: Bernard Quaritch, 1869. url p. 9.
- Field Museum of Natural History bulletin. Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, -c1990. url p. 10.
- Flora Malesiana. general editor, C.G.G.J. van Steenis. Djakarta: Noordhoff-Kolff, 1950- url p. 239, p. 240.
- Flora Vitiensis nova: a new Flora of Fiji (spermatophytes only) / Albert C. Smith. Lawaii, Hawaii: Pacific Tropical Botanical Garden, 1979- url p. 670.
- Flora of Koh Chang: contributions to the knowledge of the vegetation in the Gulf of Siam / Copenhagen: B. Luno, 1900-1916. url .
- Flora of the Presidency of Madras / by J.S. Gamble. London: West, Newman and Adlard, 1915- url p. 51.
- Florist's manual. .. [Boston]1833. url p. 245.
- Forest of Port Rico; Washington, Govt. print. off., 1916. url p. 57, p. 86.
- Forestry in southern India. Edited by John Shortt. MadrasHigginbotham1884 url p. 119.
- Fruit culture in foreign countries: reports, from the consuls of the United States, on fruit culture in their several districts, in answer to a circular from the Department of State. Washington: G.P.O., 1890. url p. 426.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1992 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 753, p. 797.
- Griffith, W. Posthumous papers bequeathed to the honorable, the East India company, and printed by order of the government of Bengal.: Notulæ ad plantas asiaticas /by the late William Griffith; arranged by John M'Clelland. 4 1854 Calcutta: Bishop's college press, 1847-1854. url p. 610, p. 747.
- Hand-book of Indian agriculture, by Nitya Gopal Mukerji. Calcutta, Thacker, Spink & co., 1901. url p. 202.
- Home studies / by Rebecca A. Upton. Boston: Crosby, Nichols; 1856. url p. 25.
- Ichthyology / edited by William Jardine. Edinburgh, etc.: W.H. Lizars, etc., 1852-1854. url p. 91.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 194, p. 2, p. 6.
- Illustrations of the natural orders of plants with groups and descriptions. Reduced from the original folio ed. 1 1868 London: Sampson Low, Son, and Marston, 1868. url explanation of plate 13.
- Index of plants. 1912. Singapore, Printed at the Methodist Publishing House, 1912. url , .
- Indian trees: an account of trees, shrubs, woody climbers, bamboos, and palms indigenous or commonly cultivated in the British Indian empire / London: A. Constable, 1906. url p. 39, p. 57, p. 740.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 722.
- Introduction to botany, containing an explanation of the theory of that science, extracted from the works of Linnaeus, ed. by C. Stewart. Edinburgh, Bell, 1811. url p. 246.
- Inventory of seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1914-1924. url p. 51, p. 56, p. 76, p. 87, p. 87, p. 88, p. 88, p. 89, p. 91, p. 91, p. 93.
- Journal and proceedings of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. 4 1908 Calcutta, Asiatic Society of Bengal. url p. 609, p. 610.
- Journal of Hymenoptera research. Washington, D.C.: International Society of Hymenopterists, [1992- url p. 322.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 17 1997 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 100, p. 105, p. 11, p. 134, p. 135, p. 145, p. 155, p. 179, p. 18, p. 196, p. 20, p. 202, p. 224, p. 227, p. 63.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 41 1940 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 42.
- Journal of the Washington Academy of Sciences. Washington [etc., Washington Academy of Sciences] url p. 261.
- Liberia / by Sir Harry Johnson; with an appendix on the flora of Liberia by Dr. Otto Stapf. London: Hutchinson, 1906. url p. 578, p. 578.
- Liberia, by Sir Harry Johnston. With an appendix on the flora of Liberia, by Dr. Otto Stapf; 28 coloured illustrations by Sir Harry Johnston, 24 botanical drawings by Miss Matilda Smith, 402 black and white il London, Hutchinson, 1906. url p. 578.
- Life and nature under the tropics: or, Sketches of travels among the Andes, and on the Orinoco, Rio Negro, and Amazons / by H.M. and P.V.N. Myers. New York: D. Appleton and company, 1871. url p. 130, p. 273.
- List of intercepted plant pests / United States Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine and Control Administration. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O.], 1932- url , p. 118, p. 14, p. 15, p. 32, p. 36, p. 45, p. 67, p. 68, p. 88.
- List of trees, shrubs, and principal climbers, etc., recorded from Burma: with vernacular names / by J.H. Lace. Rangoon, Burma: Supt., Govt. Print., 1922. url p. 10.
- Madagascar: an environmental profile IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 344, p. 367, p. 368.
- Manual of agricultural chemistry. By Herbert Ingle. London, Scott, Greenwood, 1902. url p. 359.
- Martin's Natural history / Translated from the thirty-fifth German edition, by Sarah A. Myers; containing two hundred and sixty-two beautifully colored illustrations; First [and second] series. New York: Phinney, Blakeman & Mason, 1861- url p. 229.
- Memoir on the physical and political geography of New Granada. New York, T. Dwight, 1853. url p. 100, p. 98.
- Memoirs of the Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum of Polynesian Ethnology and Natural History. Honolulu: [Bishop Museum Press], 1899-1949. url , , , , p. 379.
- Memoirs of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: The Academy, 1868- url p. 96.
- Memoirs of the Carnegie Museum. Pittsburgh: Published by the authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901-1936. url p. 407, p. 5.
- Methods used in the examination of milk and dairy products. By Dr. Chr. Barthel. .. Translation by W. Goodwin. .. London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1910. url p. 176, p. 255.
- Milk and its products: a treatise upon the nature and qualities of dairy milk and the manufacture of butter and cheese / New York: Macmillan, 1919, c1913. url , .
- Milk and its products; a treatise upon the nature and qualities of dairy milk and the manufacture of butter and cheese, New York, The Macmillan company; [etc., etc.]1913. url p. 231, p. 418.
- Minnesota botanical studies. Minneapolis, Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. url p. 855.
- Minor products of Philippine forests, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1920-1921. url , , , , , , .
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 547.
- New illustrated encyclopedia of gardening, unabridged. Edited by T.H. Everett, with contributions from twenty horticulturists and authorities in the United States and Canada. New York, Greystone Press[1964-] url p. 118.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 15.
- Official guide to the Botanic Gardens, Dominica: illustrated: with an index of the principal plants. Dominica: The Garden, 1922? url .
- Oleomargarine and other imitation dairy products, Washington, Gov't print. off., 1901 url p. 774.
- On the culture and commerce of cotton in India and elsewhere; with an account of the experiments made by the Hon. East India Company up to the present time. London: Smith, Elder, 1851. url p. 602.
- Origin of cultivated plants / by Alphonse de Candolle. New York: D. Appleton and Co., 1908. url p. 446.
- Origin of cultivated plants, by Alphonse de Candolle. London, K. Paul, Trench, 1884. url p. 446.
- Origin of cultivated plants. By Alphonse de Candolle. New York, D. Appleton and company, 1902. url p. 446.
- Origin of cultivated plants. New York, Appleton, 1892. url .
- Ornamental gardening in Florida, by Charles Torrey Simpson; a treatise on the decorative plants adapted to Florida and their cultivation, with suggestions for the ornamentation of Florida homes and grounds. Little River, Fla., The author, 1916. url p. 130, p. 138, p. 188, p. 188.
- Pamphlets on forestry in California. [1900?- url p. 25, p. 36.
- Personal narrative of travels to the equinoctial regions of America, during the years 1799-1804 / by Alexander von Humboldt and Aimé Bonpland; translated from the French of Alexander von Humboldt and edited by Thomasina Ross. London: G. Bell, 1907. url p. 178, p. 203, p. 74.
- Philosophical magazine. London: Taylor & Francis. url p. 275.
- Physiology at the farm in aid of rearing and feeding the live stock. Edinburgh and London, W. Blackwood and sons. url p. xvii.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 387, p. 400.
- Practical agricultural chemistry, by S. J. M. Auld and D. R. Edwardes-Ker. London, J. Murray, 1913. url p. 206.
- Principles of biological microtechnique; a study of fixation and dyeing. LondonMethuen; url p. 299.
- Proceedings and transactions of the British Entomological and Natural History Society. London, British Entomological and Natural History Society. url , p. 88.
- Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society held at Philadelphia for promoting useful knowledge. Philadelphia: American Philosophical Society url p. 245.
- Proceedings of the American Pomological Society. Columbus. url p. 87.
- Proceedings of the Cleveland Academy of Natural Science. Cleveland, Ohio: Published by a Gentleman of Cleveland, 1874. url p. 123.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 34, p. 556, p. 834.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url , , , p. 193, p. 97.
- Proceedings of the Royal Society of Queensland. [Brisbane, Royal Society of Queensland]1885- url p. 85.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 36, p. 445, p. 446.
- Publication / Institute of Social Anthropology. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1944- url p. 104, p. 104, p. 11, p. 11, p. 124, p. 139, p. 16, p. 16, p. 324, p. 341, p. 64.
- Report of the proceedings of the third entomological meeting: held at Pusa on the 3rd to 15th February 1919 / edited by T. Bainbrigge Fletcher. Calcutta: Supt. of Government Printing, 1920. url p. 265.
- Report of the proceedings of the. .. Entomological Meeting. Calcutta: Superintendent government printing, India, 1917-23. url p. 265.
- Report on investigations made in Java in the year 1902. ManilaBureau of Public Printing1903 url .
- Report: . .. Washington, Blair & Rives, printers, 1838 url p. 132.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 129.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 108 1948 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 744.
- Some south Indian insects and other animals of importance considered especially from an economic point of view / by T. Bainbrigge Fletcher. Madras, Printed by the superintendent, government press, 1914. url p. 241.
- Spices, by Henry N. Ridley. London, Macmillan, Ltd., 1912. url p. 32.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 13, p. 497.
- Structural and systematic botany: being an arrangement of plants, forming a basis for the study of botany, either on the Linnaean or natural systems. London, C. Griffin[pref. 1855] url p. 194, p. 54.
- Sturtevant's notes on edible plants / Edited by U.P. Hedrick. Albany: J.B. Lyon, 1919. url p. 95.
- Suggestions received by the Agricultural & Horticultural Society of India for extending the cultivation and introduction of useful and ornamental plants: with a view to the improvement of the agricultural and commercial resources of India / compiled by Henry Harpur Spry. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1841. url p. 177.
- Textbook of theoretical botany, by R. C. McLean and W. R. Ivimey-Cook. London, Longmans, Green[1951- url p. 1694.
- The American farmer's encyclopedia and dictionary of rural affairs: embracing all the most recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry / adapted to the comprehension of unscientific readers by Gouverneur Emerson. Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 1844. url p. 100.
- The American farmer's encyclopedia; embracing all the recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry, New York, A. O. Moore, 1858. url p. 100.
- The American farmer's instructor, or Practical agriculturist; comprehending the cultivation of plants, the husbandry of the domestic animals, and the economy of the farm; together with a variety of information which will be found important to the farmer. By Francis S. Wiggins. Philadelphia, O. Rogers, 1840. url p. 306.
- The American farmer. A complete agricultural library, with useful facts for the household, devoted to farming in all its departments and details, ed. by Charles L. Flint. Illustrated with over six hundred engravings. Hartford, Conn., R. H. Park, 1882. url p. 253.
- The American farmer; a complete agricultural library, with useful facts for the household, devoted to farming in all its departments and details. .. / ed. by Charles L. Flint. ..; illus. with over six hundred engravings. Hartford, Conn.: R.H. Park, 1882. url p. 253.
- The Andes and the Amazon: or across the continent of South America / New York: Harper & Brothers, 1876 url p. 168.
- The Andes and the Amazon: or, Across the continent of South America / by James Orton. New York: Harper & Brothers, 1870. url p. 168.
- The Asa Gray bulletin. 2 1953 Ann Arbor, Mich. url p. 327, p. xii.
- The Conservation Atlas of Tropical Forests: the Americas IUCN url p. 274.
- The Edinburgh new philosophical journal. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black [etc.] url p. 102, p. 102.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url p. 16, p. 208.
- The Entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1877- url p. 155, p. 197, p. 197.
- The Farmer's magazine. [London: Rogerson and Tuxford, 1834-1881. url p. 132, p. 389.
- The Farmers' cabinet. Philadelphia: Kimber & Sharpless, 1836-1840. url p. 89.
- The Ficus elastica in Burma proper: or a narrative of my journey in search of it: a descriptive account of its habits of growth and the process followed by the Kakhyens in the preparation of caoutchouc / by G. W. Strettell. Rangoon: Printed at the Government Press, 1876. url p. 128, p. 135, p. 197, p. 87, p. 94.
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url p. 262.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 148.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 153, p. 166, p. 246, p. 487, p. 52, p. 533, p. 683.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url , p. 173, p. 173, p. 377.
- The Journal of the Board of Commissioners of Agriculture. San Juan: [Board of Commissioners of Agriculture, 1917]. url p. 210, p. 226, p. 7, p. 9.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 248, p. 515.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 39 1909-11 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 424.
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url p. 85.
- The New England farmer. Boston, Mass.: J. Nourse, 1848-1871. url p. 533.
- The Philippine journal of science. 19 1921 Manila. url p. 108, p. 115, p. 199, p. 372, p. 379, p. 443, p. 453, p. 465, p. 547, p. 652, p. 98.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 491.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 232, p. 280, p. 513, p. 537, p. 579, p. 600, p. 618, p. 662, p. 670, p. 739, p. 790, p. 80.
- The Tinguian; social, religious, and economic life of a Philippine tribe / by Fay-Cooper Cole -- with a chapter on music by Albert Gale, 83 plates and 26 text-figures -- Berthold Laufer -- Chicago, 1922. url p. 408.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 337, p. 443, p. 483, p. 485, p. 533, p. 541, p. 548, p. 555.
- The Victorian naturalist. [Melbourne]Field Naturalists Club of Victoria. url p. 182.
- The agriculturist's manual: being a familiar description of the agricultural plants cultivated in Europe: including practical observations respecting those suited to the climate of Great Britain and forming a report of Lawson's by Peter Lawson & Son. Edinburgh: William Blackwood and Sons, Edinburgh: Thomas Cadell, 141 Strand, London; and W. Curry Jun. & Co., Dublin, 1836. url p. 313.
- The book of the farm: detailing the labors of the farmer, steward, plowman, hedger, cattle-man, shepherd, field-worker, and dairymaid / by Henry Stephens. New York: C.M. Saxton, 1851. url p. 317.
- The botany of the voyage of H. M. S. Sulphur, under the command of Captain Sir Edward Belcher, during the years 1836-42. Published under the authority of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty /Edited and superintended by Richard Brinsley Hinds, attached to the expedition. The botanical descriptions by George Bentham. 1844 London: Smith, Elder, 1844- url p. 184.
- The chemistry of cattle feeding and dairying, by J. Alan Murray. London, Longmans, Green & co., 1914. url p. 326, p. 336.
- The colony of British Honduras: its resources and prospects; with particular reference to its indigenous plants and economic productions / by D. Morris. London: Edward Stanford, 1883. url p. 147, p. 85.
- The commercial products of India: being an abridgment of The dictionary of the economic products of India / by Sir George Watt; published under the authority of His Majesty's secretary of state for India in council. London: J. Murray, 1908. url p. 1150, p. 142.
- The commercial products of the vegetable kingdom, considered in their various uses to man and in their relation to the arts and manufactures; forming a practical treatise and handbook of reference for the colonist, manufacturer, merchant, and consume London, Day, 1854. url p. 447, p. 651.
- The complete garden, by Albert D. Taylor, assisted by Gordon D. Cooper. Illustrated with fifty full page cuts, four line charts, and nine coloured plates. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1921. url p. 304, p. 386, p. 386.
- The conservation and sustainable use of the crop genetic resources of Central America. A Darwin initiative funded project. Report on phase 1 WCMC url p. 20.
- The cultivation and preparation of coffee for the market: giving in an intelligible manner, in plain language, the description of the various operations in connection with coffee planting, and remarks concerning pulping, fermenting, washing, drying, hulling, by José P. Ugarte. [S.l.: s.n.], 1916. url p. 46.
- The dictionary of science and technical terms used in philosophy, literature, professions, commerce, arts, and trades / by W.M. Buchanan; with supplement edited by James A. Smith. London: G.Bell and Sons, 1884. url p. 76.
- The differentiation and specificity of starches in relation to genera, species, etc.; stereochemistry applied to protoplasmic processes and products, and as a strictly scientific basis for the classification of plants and animals Washington, D.C.Carnegie institution of Washington1913 url p. 2, p. 2, p. 210.
- The farmer's and planter's encyclopaedia of rural affairs; embracing all the most recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry, suited to the comprehension of unscientific readers. By Cuthbert W. Johnson. .. With extensive additions adapting the work to the United States. .. By Gouverneur Emerson. .. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott & Co., 1868. url p. 100.
- The farmer's and the planter's encyclopædia of rural affairs; Philadelphia, Lippincott, Grambo & co., 1851. url p. 100.
- The farmer's dictionary: a vocabulary of the technical terms recently introduced into agriculture and horticulture from various sciences, and also a compendium of practical farming, the latter chiefly from the works of the Re edited by D. P. Gardner. New York: Harper, 1846. url p. 94.
- The farmer's encyclopædia, and dictionary of rural affairs; embracing all the most recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry. Adapted to the comprehension of unscientific readers. .. By Cuthbert W. Johnson. .. Adapted to the United States by Gouverneur Emerson. Philadelphia, Carey and Hart, 1844. url p. 100.
- The fisheries of the oriental region / Sydney: F. Cunninghame & Co., general printers, [between 1887 and 1890] url p. 29.
- The flora of Jamaica; a description of the plants of that island, arranged according to the natural orders. With and appendix, containing an enumeration of the genera according to the Linnaean system, and an essay on the geographical destribution of the species. By James Macfadyen, M. D. Vo. I. Ranunculac London, Longman, Orme, Brown, Green, & Longman; [etc., etc.]1837. url p. 41, p. 41.
- The flowering plants of Western India. London, W. H. Allen url p. 20.
- The forest resources of the territories of Papua and New Guineareport by C.E. Lane-Poole. 1925 [Melbourne]:Printed and Pub. for the government of the commonwealth of Australia by H.J. Green, government printer for the State of Victoria,  url p. 205, p. 63.
- The housekeeper and gardener / by Rebecca A. Upton. Boston: Crosby, Nichols; 1858. url p. 25.
- The illustrated dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists. Ed. by George Nicholson. Assisted by Professor J. W. H. Trail and J. Garrett. London: L. U. Gill, -89. url p. 192.
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 593, p. 896.
- The oleomargarine bill: hearings before the Committee on agriculture and forestry, United States Senate, and the Committee on agriculture, House of Representatives, with reports, briefs, etc., on the bill (H.R. 3717) to make Washington, Govt. print. off., 1901. url p. 774.
- The organic constituents of higher plants: their chemistry and interrelationships. With contributions by Ernest Sondheimer. Minneapolis, Burgess Pub. Co. url p. 152.
- The organic constituents of plants and vegetable substances and their chemical analysis / by G.C. Wittstein; authorized translation from the German original, enlarged with numerous additions by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: MCarron, Bird & Co., 1878. url p. 15.
- The travels and researches of Alexander von Humboldt / by W. Macgillivray; with a narrative of Humboldt's most recent researches, including his celebrated journey to the Ural Mountains, and the Caspian Sea, etc. London: T. Nelson, 1857. url p. 239.
- The tropical agriculturist. Colombo, Ceylon: A.M. & J. Ferguson, 1882- url p. 66.
- The tropical world: a popular scientific account of the natural history of the animal and vegetable kingdoms in the equatorial regions. LondonLongman, Green, Longman, Roberts, and Green1863 url p. 241.
- The tropical world: aspects of man and nature in the equatorial regions of the globe. LondonLongmans, Green1873 url p. 195, p. 536.
- The useful plants of the island of Guam; with an introductory account of the physical features and natural history of the island, of the character and history of its people, and of their agriculture / by William Edwin Safford. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url p. 174, p. 184, p. 188, p. 199, p. 265, p. 309, p. 35, p. 60, p. 8.
- The vegetable kingdom. London, Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge[184?] url p. 112.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 121, p. 273.
- Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. Springfield, Ill., Illinois State Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 211.
- Transactions of the third International congress of tropical agriculture, held at the Imperial institute, London, S.W., June 23rd to 30th, 1914. London: J. Bale, Sons & Danielsson, 1915-17. url p. 648.
- Trees and shrubs of Mexico / By Paul C. Standley. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1920-1926. url p. 807, p. 834, p. 836.
- Trinidad, its geography, natural resources, administration, present condition, and prospects. London, Cassell, 1884. url p. 260.
- Tropical agriculture: the climate, soils, cultural methods, crops, live stock, commercial importance and opportunities of the tropics / London: D. Appleton and Company, 1916. url , .
- Tropical agriculture; the climate, soils, cultural methods, crops, live stock, commercial importance and opportunities of the tropics / by Earley Vernon Wilcox. London: D. Appleton and Company, 1916. url p. 236, p. 362.
- Useful plants of the Siona and Secoya Indians of eastern Ecuador / William T. Vickers, Timothy Plowman. 15 1984 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1984. url fig. 1 , p. 19, p. 38, p. 61, p. 7.
- Vegetable technology; a contribution towards a bibliography of economic botany, with a comprehensive subject-index. By Benjamin Daydon Jackson. .. Founded upon the collections of George James Symons, F. R. S. London, Pub. for the Index society, by Longmans, Green & co. [etc.]1882. url p. 172, p. 271, p. 299.
- Wanderings in New South Wales, Batavia, Pedir Coast, Singapore, and China; being the journal of a naturalist in those countries, during 1832, 1833, and 1834. LondonR. Bentley1834 url p. 178.
- Wanderings in South America, the north-west of the United States, and the Antilles, in the years 1812, 1816, 1820, & 1824: with original instruction for the perfect preservation of birds, etc. for cabinets of natural history / ed. with biographical introduction and explanatory index by J.G. Wood. London: Macmillan, 1889. url p. 445, p. 512.
- West African forests and forestry / London: T.F. Unwin, ltd.,  url , .
- West African forests and forestry, by A. Harold Unwin. .. with 110 illustrations by the author. London, T. F. Unwin, ltd. url p. 122, p. 365, p. 505.
- Willard's practical dairy husbandry: a complete treatise on dairy farms and farming, --dairy stock and stock feeding, --milk, its management and manufacture into butter and cheese, --history and mode of organization of butter and cheese fac New York, D. D. T. Moore, 1872. url p. 327.
- [Pamphlets on agriculture in Guam] S.l.: s.n., 1905-1916 url p. 174, p. 184, p. 265, p. 309.
- [Publications] - Bureau of Government Laboratories. Manila, Bureau of Public Printing, 1903-1906. url p. 18, p. 20, p. 57, p. 8.
- Zhang Pengyun & Zhang Yaojia. 1990. Bixaceae. In: Li Hsiwen, ed., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 50(2): 180.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 17, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Botanical Research Institute of Texas, Andes to Amazon Biodiversity Program
- Comisión nacional para el conocimiento y uso de la biodiversidad, Banco Nacional de Germoplasma Vegetal, México
- Comisión nacional para el conocimiento y uso de la biodiversidad, Herbario del Instituto de Ecología, A.C., México
- Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden Virtual Herbarium Darwin Core format
- GBIF-Spain, Jardín Botánico de Córdoba: Herbarium COA
- Herbarium of the University of Aarhus, The AAU Herbarium Database
- Herbier de la Guyane, Herbier de la Guyane
- Instituto Nacional de Biodiversidad
- , Biodiversidad de Costa Rica
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, NSW herbarium collection
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, Plants of Papua New Guinea
- School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University, Arizona State University Vascular Plant Herbarium
- SysTax, Herbarium Universitat Ulm
- SysTax, SysTax
- Taiwan Biodiversity Information Facility, Magnoliophyta
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2648084
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-22251
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2490700
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:51930-3
- GRIN Nomen Number: 7249
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 22251
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 51930-3
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PDBIX02010
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: BIOR
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 25313
- Qiner Yang & Michael G. Gilbert "Bixaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 13 Page 71. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Bixa". in Flora of China Vol. 13 Page 71. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]