Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in English:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Swedish:
Flowers: Bloom Period: April, May. • Flower Color: yellow
Size: 6-12" tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,303 meters (0 to 4,275 feet).
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full sun to partial shade.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Ranunculanae () - Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Rosidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 2009
Members of the genus Barbarea
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 10 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
B. australis (Native Wintercress) · B. balcana (Balkan Yellow Rocket) · B. bosniaca (Bosnian Yellow Rocket) · B. intermedia (Medium-Flowered Winter-Cress) · B. orthoceras (American Winter-Cress) · B. verna (Belle Isle Cress) · B. vulgaris (Creasy) · B. vulgaris var. hirsuta (Yellow Rocket) · B. vulgaris 'Variegata' (Creasy) · B. vulgaris 'Variegated Winter' (Upland Cress)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A contribution to the flora of Derbyshire being an account of the flowering plants, ferns, and Characeae found in the county / by W.H. Painter. London: George Bell, 1889. url p. 145.
- A flora of the islands of Jersey, with a list of the plants of the Channel Islands in general, and remarks upon their distribution and geographical affinities. London, West, Newman, 1903. url .
- A flora of the north-east of Ireland: including the Phanerogamia, the Cryptogamia vascularia, and the Muscineae / by Samuel Alexander Stewart and Thomas Hughes Corry. [Belfast]: Belfast Naturalists' Field Club; 1888. url p. 291.
- A guide to Belfast and the counties of Down & Antrim / prepared for the meeting of the British Association by the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. Belfast: M'Caw, Stevenson & Orr, ltd., 1902. url p. 118.
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood; with sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url p. 120.
- A new British flora; British wild flowers in their natural haunts, described by A. R. Horwood, with 64 plates in col. representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illus. from photo. London, Gresham Pub. Co., 1919. url p. 120.
- A second supplement to, and summary of Stewart and Corry's flora of the North-east of Ireland / compiled by Sylvanus Wear, with an introduction by R. Lloyd Praeger. Belfast: Belfast Naturalists' Field Club, 1923. url p. 6.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 59.
- Annual report / Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. Belfast: Belfast Naturalists' Field Club url p. 6.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1923 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 123, p. 3, p. 5, p. 5, p. 5.
- Contributions towards a Cybele hibernica, being outlines of the geographical distribution of plants in Ireland. Dublin.E. Ponsonby, 1898. url , .
- English botany, or, Coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: R. Hardwicke, 1863-1886. url p. 412, p. 413.
- English botany, or, coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: G. Bell, 1873. url p. 174.
- Flora of Guernsey and the lesser Channel Islands: namely, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, and the adjacent islets. London, Dulau, 1901. url p. 50.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 179.
- Irish ethno-botany and the evolution of medicine in Ireland. Dublin, M. H. Gill, 1919. url , p. 90.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 44 1906 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 10, p. 13, p. 164, p. 17, p. 241, p. 280, p. 287, p. 309, p. 382, p. 400, p. 503.
- Manual of British botany: containing the flowering plants and ferns arranged according to the natural orders / by the late Charles Cardale Babington. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1904. url p. 27.
- Memorials, journal and botanical correspondence of Charles Cardale Babington. Cambridge, [Eng.]: Macmillan and Bowes, 1897. url p. 456.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 128.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 26, p. 26, p. 401, p. 41, p. 75, p. 76, p. 77, p. 78.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 86.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 51, p. 51.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 101, p. 226, p. 234.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. 1864 London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 606.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url p. 146, p. 252.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 103, p. 11, p. 151, p. 3, p. 385, p. 386, p. 666, p. 88.
- The Victoria history of Berkshire. edited by P.H. Ditchfield and William Page. [LondonConstable]1906-1923 url p. 56.
- The Victoria history of the county of Kent; ed. by William Page. London, Constable, 1908- url p. 51.
- The flora of British India. London, L. Reeve & Co., 1875-97. url .
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url .
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url p. 260.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 11, 2007:
- GBIF-Spain, Departamento de Biolog. Veg. II, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Complutense, Madrid: MAF
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Environment and Heritage Service - EHS Species Datasets
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 5877275
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Mus-520
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:278866-1
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 278866-1
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 645035