from SE Asia and East Indies yielding an antiseptic
medicinally and in toothpaste, soaps, and lotions.
Probably native of Burma, widely cultivated in OW tropics, spread by bats. It has long been cultivated in from India to Indonesia, and was taken by in the 19th C to Fiji, Africa and Guyana; in many dry forest or savanna areas it has become abundantly naturalised. 50,000 trees have recently been planted near Mecca in Saudi Arabia as shade for pilgrims (Hanum and Van der Maesen, 1997). An extremely valuable multipurpose tree with all parts being used, for construction, medicine, food, and insecticide . Timber used as a mahogany substitute. Edible leaves adnb flowers. Leaves and seeds provide a source of the powerful insecticide Azadirachtin. Used medicinally against scabies and many other skin diseases, especially when soaked in water used for bathing, and as a post-coital contraceptive. A spermicide contraceptive made from it is sold in India. Introduced in Grenada. In India, oil from the seeds is used extensivle in India. Seeds and leaves (mixed in with grain in stores) are used as a natural insecticide, containing azadirechtin.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Arabic:
Nim (Neem), Sherish (Shereesh)
Common Names in Bengali:
Bim, Nim, Nimgach
Common Names in Burmese:
Common Names in Chinese:
Ku Lian, Lian Shu, Lian Zao Zi, Yin Du Lian Shu (Taiwan)
Common Names in English:
Margosa Tree, Bead Tree, Burmese Neem Tree, Chinaberry, Indian Cedar, Indian-Lilac, Margosa, Neem, Neem Tree, Nim, Nimbay, Nimtree, Pichumarda, Vepa, Yepa
Common Names in French:
Azadirachta De L´inde, Huile De Neem (Product), Lilas De Perse (Réunion Island), Lilas Des Indes, Lilas Du Japon (Réunion Island), Margosier, Margosier De Birmanie, Margosier Du Bangladesh, Neem Des Indes, Nim Des Indes
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Hindi:
Balnimb, Neem, Nim, Nind, नीम
Common Names in Kannada:
Common Names in Latin:
Common Names in Malay:
Mambu, Mind (Indonesia), Sadu
Common Names in Malayalam:
Common Names in Nepalese:
Common Names in Persian:
Common Names in Sanskrit:
Nimba, Nimbac, Nimbak
Common Names in Sinhalese:
Common Names in Swahili:
Mkilifi, Mwarubaini Kamili
Common Names in Tamil:
Common Names in Thai:
Cha-Tang, Khwinin (Kwinin), Sadao, Sadao India
Common Names in Urdu:
Common Names in Vietnamese:
Common Names in Yoruba:
Habit: Evergreen .
Flowers: Bloom Period: March. • Flower Color: cream, tan
Size: over 40' tall.
Culture: Space 8-10' apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 6.6 • Maximum pH: 7.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: High
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b, 11. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Order: Sapindales () - Dumortier, 1829
- Superorder: Rutanae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Rosidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Antelaea azadirachta (L.) Adelb. • Melia azadirachta L.
Publishing author : A.Juss. Publication : M?m. Mus. Par. xix. (1830) 221 (Mel. 69). (1830)
Members of the genus Azadirachta
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 3 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A hand-book to the flora of Ceylon: containing descriptions of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to the island, and notes on their history, distribution, and uses: with an atlas of plates illustrating some of the more inte by Henry Trimen. London: Dulau, 1893-1931. url p. 244, p. 357, p. 376, p. 395, p. 470, p. 471.
- A handbook of tropical gardening and planting, with special reference to Ceylon, by H. F. Macmillan. .. Colombo, H.W. Cave & co., 1914. url , p. 40, p. 440, p. 595.
- A manual of Indian timbers; an account of the growth, distribution, and uses of the trees and shrubs of India and Ceylon with descriptions of their wood-structure, by J. S. Gamble... London: S. Low, Marston & co. ltd., 1902. url p. 768.
- A manual of botany: including the structure, classification, properties, uses, and functions of plants. London, John Churchill and Sons, 1870. url p. 484.
- A manual of forestry. LondonBradbury, Agnew1906-25 url p. 274.
- A note-book of agricultural facts and figures comp. by R. Cecil Wood. .. Madras, Govt. Press, 1920. url p. 377.
- A systematic catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to or growing wild in Ceylon. Colombo: G. J. A. Skeen, 1885. url .
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 727.
- Annales du Jardin botanique de Buitenzorg. 33 1923 Leiden [etc.]: E. J. Brill [etc.] url p. 122, p. 136, p. 155, p. 157, p. 161.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 43, p. 59.
- Carotenoids, their comparative biochemistry. New York, Chemical Pub. Co., 1954. url p. 328.
- Catalogue of the collections in the museum of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain compiled by E.M. Holmes. London, The Society, 1878. url p. 16.
- Catalogue of the economic products of the Presidency of Bombay: being a catalogue of the Government Central Museum, Division 1., Raw produce (vegetable) / compiled by Assistant Surgeon Birdwood. Bombay: Printed at the Education Society's Press, 1862. url p. 15, p. 260, p. 265, p. 279, p. 325.
- Cocoa. By Dr. C. J. J. van Hall. London: Macmillan and Co., limited, 1914. url p. 101, p. 507.
- Compositae newsletter. Columbus, Ohio: Dept. of Botany, Ohio State University, 1975- url p. 10, p. 43, p. 49.
- Conservation and sustainable management of trees, report of the third regional workshop, held at Army Hotel, Hanoi, Viet Nam, 18-21 August, 1997 WCMC url p. 131.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 45 2003 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 295, p. 429, p. 435, p. 453, p. 470, p. 498.
- Contributions to the flora of Siam [Aberdeen]Printed for the University1912- url p. 35, p. 36.
- Contributions to the flora of Siam. .. / by William Grant Craib. .. [Aberdeen]: Printed for the University of Aberdeen, 1912- url p. 35, p. 36.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 1-130 1906 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url p. 23.
- Flora Malesiana. general editor, C.G.G.J. van Steenis. Djakarta: Noordhoff-Kolff, 1950- url p. 10, p. 12, p. 14, p. 19, p. 336, p. 337, p. 341, p. 383, p. 4, p. 9.
- Flora Vitiensis nova: a new Flora of Fiji (spermatophytes only) / Albert C. Smith. Lawaii, Hawaii: Pacific Tropical Botanical Garden, 1979- url p. 530.
- Flora of the Presidency of Madras / by J.S. Gamble. London: West, Newman and Adlard, 1915- url p. 177.
- Hortus suburbanus Calcuttensis; A catalogue of the plants which have been cultivated in the Hon. East India Company's botanical garden, Calcutta, and in the Serampore botanical garden. By the late J. O. Voigt, printed under the superintendence of W. Griffith. Calcutta, Bishop's College Press, 1845. url p. 469.
- IUCN Directory of South Asian Protected Areas IUCN url p. 199, p. 237, p. 282.
- Indian snakes: an elementary treatise on ophiology with a descriptive catalogue of the snakes found in India and the adjoining countries / by Edward Nicholson. Madras: Higginbotham, 1874. url p. 168.
- Indian trees: an account of trees, shrubs, woody climbers, bamboos, and palms indigenous or commonly cultivated in the British Indian empire / London: A. Constable, 1906. url p. 139.
- Inventory of seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1914-1924. url p. 31.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 207, p. 333.
- Lepidoptera indica. By F. Moore. London, 1890-1913. url p. 123.
- List of trees, shrubs, and principal climbers, etc., recorded from Burma: with vernacular names / by J.H. Lace. Rangoon, Burma: Supt., Govt. Print., 1922. url p. 30.
- Nature et faune: revue internationale pour la conservation de la nature en Afrique = Wildlife and nature: international journal on nature conservation in Africa. Accra, Ghana: Bureau régional de la F.A.O. pour l'Afrique, url p. 26, p. 27.
- Nature's healing arts: from folk medicine to modern drugs / by Lonnelle Aikman; photos. by Nathan Benn and Ira Block; paintings by Tony Chen; prepared by the Special Publications Division. Washington: National Geographic Society, c1977. url p. 196.
- Novon a journal of botanical nomenclature from the Missouri Botanical Garden. 3 1993 St. Louis, MO: Missouri Botanical Garden, url p. 428.
- Pharmacographia: a history of the principal drugs of vegetable origin met with in Great Britain and British India / by Friedrich A. Flückiger and Daniel Hanbury. London: Macmillan, 1879. url p. 772.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 294, p. 316, p. 358.
- Plants of the Punjab: a descriptive key to the flora of the Punjab, North-west Frontier Province, and Kashmir / by C.J. Bamber. Lahore: Supt. Govt. Printing, Punjab, 1916. url p. 42.
- Plants of the Punjab; a descriptive key to the flora of the Punjab, North-west Frontier Province and Kashmir. LahorePrinted by The Superintendent Government Printing1916 url p. 42.
- Pre-project study on the conservation status of tropical timbers in trade. Final report to International Tropical Timber Organization. Vol 1 ITTO url p. 125.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url , p. 367, p. 379, p. 380, p. 381, p. 382, p. 383, p. 662.
- Records of the Indian Museum. Calcutta: Pub. by order of the trustees of the Indian Museum, . 1907-1962. url p. 329.
- Scientific and applied pharmacognosy, intended for the use of students in pharmacy, as a hand book for pharmacists, and as a reference book for food and drug analysts and pharmacologists. New York, Wiley, 1920. url p. 386.
- Spixiana. 4 1981 München: Zoologische Staatssammlung München, 1977- url p. 250.
- Spolia zeylanica. S.l.: s.n. url p. 126.
- Stray feathers. Journal of ornithology for India and its dependencies. Calcutta: s.n., 1872-1899. url p. 366.
- Technical series. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1895-1915. url p. 63.
- Textbook of theoretical botany, by R. C. McLean and W. R. Ivimey-Cook. London, Longmans, Green[1951- url p. 2186.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 504, p. 511.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 1271.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 119, p. 631, p. 68.
- The Hawaiian forester and agriculturist. Honolulu: Hawaiian Gazette Co., 1904-1933. url p. 336.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url , , , , p. 1101, p. 183, p. 233, p. 371, p. 381, p. 401, p. 519, p. 767.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 24 1888 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 141.
- The National Collection of Coccidae / by C.L. Marlatt. Washington: G.P.O., 1908. url p. 63.
- The Philippine journal of science. 4 1909 Manila. url p. 272, p. 423, p. 478.
- The commercial products of India: being an abridgment of The dictionary of the economic products of India / by Sir George Watt; published under the authority of His Majesty's secretary of state for India in council. London: J. Murray, 1908. url p. 780.
- The ethnobotany of southern Balochistan, Pakistan: with particular reference to medicinal plants / Steven M. Goodman, Abdul Ghafoor. 31 1992 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, c1992. url p. 56, p. 81.
- The flora of British India /By J. D. Hooker assisted by various botanists. Published under the authority of the secretary of state for India in council. London: L. Reeve, 1875-97. url p. 469, p. 544, p. 704.
- The flora of British India. London, L. Reeve & Co., 1875-97. url .
- The flora of the Nilgiri and Pulney Hill-tops / by P.F. Fyson; with 580 full page illustrations and 4 maps by Lady Bourne, Mrs. Fyson and others. Madras: Printed by the Supt., Govt. Press, 1915-1920. url p. 22.
- The flora of the presidency of Bombay / By Theodore Cooke. London: Taylor and Francis, 1903-08. url p. 207.
- The forest flora of north-west and central India: a handbook of the indigenous trees and shrubs of those countries / Commenced by by J. Lindsay Stewart. Continued and completed by Dietrich Brandis. Prepared at the herbarium of the Royal gardens, Kew. LondonW.H. Allen1874 url p. 67.
- The journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1832-1936 url p. 230.
- The journal of the Horticultural Society of London. London, [England]: Published for the Society, by Longman and Co., 1846-1855. url p. 35.
- The natural history review. Dublin: Hodges & Smith, 1854-1865. url .
- The natural productions of Burmah: or, notes on the fauna, flora, and minerals of the Tenasserim provinces and the Burman empire / by Francis Mason. Maulmain: American Mission Press, 1850. url p. 167.
- The silviculture of Indian trees. Published under the authority of His Majesty's Secretary of State for India in Council. OxfordClarendon Press1921 url p. 424, p. 425, p. 426, p. 434, p. 436, p. 444, p. 450, p. 462, p. 483.
- The timbers of commerce and their identification, London, W. Rider & son, limited, 1918. url , .
- Timbers and their uses; a handbook for woodworkers, merchants, and all interested in the conversion and use of timber, London, E. P. Dutton & Co., 1919. url , .
- Vegetable technology; a contribution towards a bibliography of economic botany, with a comprehensive subject-index. By Benjamin Daydon Jackson. .. Founded upon the collections of George James Symons, F. R. S. London, Pub. for the Index society, by Longmans, Green & co. [etc.]1882. url p. 269, p. 55, p. 8.
- Vernacular list of trees, shrubs, and woody climbers in the Madras Presidency. Madras, Printed by the Superintendant, Government Press, 1915. url p. 347, p. 368, p. 693, p. 735, p. 736.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed November 17, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 6 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- The International Plant Names Index. Accessed Dec 27, 2011.
- USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN) [Online Database]. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. URL (April 25, 2008)
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 17, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- Herbarium of the University of Aarhus, The AAU Herbarium Database
- Herbier de la Guyane, Herbier de la Guyane
- Instituto Nacional de Biodiversidad
- , Biodiversidad de Costa Rica
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2652397
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-29012
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13744251
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:577603-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 6161
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 29012
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 577603-1
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: MEAZ2
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 21547