Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Arabic:
Khâfûr, Shûfân, Zummayr
Common Names in Chinese:
Ye Yan Mai
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Common Wild Oats, Common Wild Oat, Flaxgrass, Oatgrass, Spring Wild Oat, Wheat Oats, Wild Oat, Wild Oats
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Avoine Folle, Avoine Sauvage, Folle Avoine
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Greek:
Agriovromi, Vromi I Astatos
Common Names in Italian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Chahiki Gusa, karasu Mugi
Common Names in Norwegian:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Aveia-Brava, Aveia-Fátua, Aveia-Selvagem
Common Names in Russian:
Oves Pustoj, ovsjug, Ovsjug Obyknovennyi
Common Names in Spanish:
Avena Loca, Avena Silvestre
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Turkish:
, fairly robust
. Leaf blades
, flat; ligule membranous. Inflorescence a large loose
large, pendulous, oblong
2 to several, the uppermost reduced; rachilla pilose
below each floret or only below the lowest, or not disarticulating (cultivated species) ; glumes
lanceolate to elliptic
, usually subequal
and as long as spikelet, rarely strongly unequal or shorter than spikelet, herbaceous to membranous, 7-11-veined, back rounded
, apex acuminate; floret callus acute to pungent
; lemmas lanceolate-oblong, usually leathery, occasionally papery
, back rounded, 5-9-veined, glabrous to hispid
usually from near middle
of back, apex papery, 2-toothed to 2-fid, lobes
sometimes extended into fine bristles
with twisted column, sometimes reduced or absent (cultivated species) ; palea usually shorter than lemma, keels ciliate
. Ovary densely hairy
. Caryopsis with long linear hilum.
About 25 species: centered on the Mediterranean region and SW Asia, extending to N Europe and N Asia, widely introduced to other temperate and cold regions; five species (all introduced) in China.
Avena includes several species cultivated as cereal crops (oats) and is also used for fodder and fiber production . A few species have become widespread as weeds of crops in temperate regions .
Species Avena fatua
Annual . Culms erect or geniculate at base , 50-150 cm tall, unbranched, 2-4-noded. Leaf sheaths glabrous or basal sheaths puberulous ; leaf blades 10-30 cm, 4-12 mm wide, scabrid or adaxial surface and margins pilose ; ligule 1-5 mm. Panicle narrowly to broadly pyramidal , 10-40 cm, nodding ; branches scabrid. Spikelets 1.7-2.5 cm, florets 2 or 3, all florets awned; rachilla easily disarticulating below each floret at maturity, each floret with a bearded callus, internodes hirsute or glabrous; glumes lanceolate, subequal , herbaceous, 9-11-veined, apex finely acute; callus hairs up to 4 mm; lemmas 1.5-2 cm, leathery, glabrous to densely hispid in lower half, green and scaberulous above, awned from near middle , apex shortly 2-4-toothed; awn 2-4 cm, geniculate, column twisted, blackish brown. Fl. and fr. Apr-Sep. 2n = 42. [source]
Flowers: Bloom Period: April, May, June. • Flower Color: inconspicuous, none
Size: 18-24" tall.
Weed of cultivated fields , grassy mountain slopes , roadsides and other disturbed places; below 4300 m .
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 4,653 meters (0 to 15,266 feet).
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Small, 1903
- Series: href="http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/title/493 ()
- Order: Poales () - Small, 1903
- Superorder: Juncanae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Commelinidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Angiospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Avena fatua var. glabrata Peterm. • Avena fatua var. vilis (Wallr.) Hausskn.
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Avena
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 26 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
A. abyssinica (Abyssinian Oat) · A. arvensis (Field Brome) · A. barbata (Slender Oat) · A. barbata barbata (Slender Oat) · A. fatua (Common Wild Oats) · A. fatua sativa (Oatgrass (Common)) · A. ludoviciana (Winter Wild Oat) · A. maroccana (Moraccan Oat) · A. meridionalis (Hybrid Oat) · A. nuda (Naked Oat) · A. occidentalis (Western Oat) · A. orientalis (Tartarian Oats) · A. pratensis (Meadow Oatgrass) · A. sativa (Cat Grass) · A. sativa nuda (Small Naked Oat) · A. sativa sativa (Oatgrass (Common)) · A. sativa sativa var. contracta (Tree Oat) · A. sativa sterilis (Animated Oat) · A. sativa 'French Black' (Black Ornamental Oats) · A. sativa 'Rodeo' (Cat Grass) · A. spicata (Poverty Oatgrass (Canada)) · A. sterilis (Animated Oat) · A. sterilis ludoviciana (Animated Oat) · A. sterilis sterilis (Animated Oat) · A. sterilis subsp. ludoviciana (Animated Oat) · A. strigosa (Lop-Side Oat)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A census of the grasses of New South Wales, together with a popular description of each species; by Fred. Turner. Issued by direction of the Minister for Mines and Agriculture (Hon. Sydney Smith). H. C. L. Anderson, director. Sydney, C. Potter, gov't printer, 1890. url p. 57.
- A determination of the economic status of the western meadow-lark (Sturnella neglecta) in California, by Harold Child Bryant. Berkeley, University of California press,  url p. 421, p. 425, p. 446.
- A flora of California, by Willis Linn Jepson. San Francisco, Calif., Cunningham, Curtis & Welch, 1909- url p. 132.
- A flora of western middle California, Berkeley, Cal., Encina Publishing Company, 1901. url .
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 192.
- A manual flora of Egypt / by Reno Muschler. With a preface by Paul Ascherson and Georg Schweinfurth. Berlin, R. Friedlaender, 1912. url p. 1230, p. 1237, p. 1243, p. 1255, p. 1264.
- A manual of farm grasses, Washington, D. C., The author, 1921. url , p. 133, p. 166.
- A manual of farm grasses, by A. S. Hitchcock. Washington, D. C.: The author, 1921. url p. 133.
- A manual of farm grasses. Washington, Hitchcock, 1921. url p. 133.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url , , .
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L. H. Pammel. 1911 Cedar Rapids, Ia.: The Torch Press, 1910-11. url p. 359.
- A manual of the flora of northern Idaho /Carl Epling and Joe Ewan. 4 1941 1941. url p. 977.
- A manual of weeds, with descriptions of all the most pernicious and troublesome plants in the United States and Canada, their habits of growth and distribution, with methods of control, by Ada E. Georgia. .. with 385 illustrations by F. Schuyler Mathews. .. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1916, c1914. url p. 49, p. 572.
- A morphological study of the flower and embryo of the wild oat, Avena fatua L. San Francisco, The Academy, 1900. url , , , , p. 353.
- A natural history of British grasses / by E.J. Lowe. London: John C. Nimmo, 1891. url , p. 175, p. 176.
- A naturalist in Western China: with vasculum, camera, and gun, being some account of eleven year's travel, exploration, and observation in the more remote parts of the flowery kingdom; with an introduction by Charles Sprague Sargent. London, Methuen url p. 212.
- A naturalist in western China, with vasculum, camera, and gun; being some account of eleven years' travel, exploration, and observation in the more remote parts of the Flowery kingdom, by Ernest Henry Wilson...with an introduction by Charles Sprague Sargent...With one hundred and one full-page illustrations and a map. London, Methuen & co., ltd. url p. 212.
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood; with sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url , p. 154, p. 214.
- A new British flora; British wild flowers in their natural haunts, described by A. R. Horwood, with 64 plates in col. representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illus. from photo. London, Gresham Pub. Co., 1919. url , p. 154, p. 214.
- A preliminary catalogue of the flora of Vancouver and Queen Charlotte Islands. Victoria, B.C., Printed by W. H. Cullin, 1921. url p. 14.
- A preliminary list of the Uredinales of California, by Walter C. Blasdale. Berkeley: University of California press, 1919. url p. 121.
- A record of the doctors in botany of the University of Chicago 1897-1916, presented to John Merle Coulter, professor and head of the Department of botany, by the doctors in Botany at the quarter-centennial of the university, June 1916. Chicago,  url .
- A student's text-book of botany / by Sydney H. Vines. London: Macmillan, 1895. url p. 549.
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 174.
- A talk on weeds; an address delivered before the county road school, Clinton County, Iowa, 1910, with an appendix describing a few weeds, by L. H. Pammel. .. Ames? Ia., c1910 url p. 10.
- A text-book of grasses with especial reference to the economic species of the United States, by A. S. Hitchcock. New York, Macmillan, 1914. url , p. 211, p. 46.
- A text-book of grasses: with especial reference to the economic species of the United States / by A.S. Hitchock. New York: Macmillan, 1914. url p. 211, p. 46, p. xvii.
- A university text-book of botany. New York, Macmillan, 1910. url p. 398, p. 550, p. 553.
- Aeration and air-content; the role of oxygen in root activity, by Frederic E. Clements. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1921. url p. 78.
- Agricultural botany, theoretical and practical. New York, H. Holt, 1910. url , , .
- Agriculture / by Charles C. James. Toronto: G.N. Morang, 1898. url p. 200.
- Agriculture Charles C. James. Toronto: G.N. Morang, 1899. url .
- Alien flora of Britain. London, West, Newman, 1905. url p. 189.
- Allan Hancock Pacific expeditions. [Reports] Los Angeles, University of Southern California Press. url p. 277, p. 326.
- American grasses / Washington: Gov. Print. Off., 1897-1901. url p. 195, p. 203, p. 94.
- American grasses / by F. Lamson-Scribner. Washington: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Division of Agrontology, 1897- url p. 203.
- American plants. .. [Descriptions, bibliographical notes, synonymy, and other information, comp. from many sources] Charles Russell Orcutt, editor. San Diego, Calif., -1910. url p. 1075.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 83.
- An illustrated flora of the Pacific States: Washington, Oregon, and California. Stanford University, Stanford University Press, 1923- url p. 171.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 218.
- An outline of plant geography, by Douglas Houghton Campbell. New York, The Macmillan company, 1926. url p. 142.
- Animal life in the Yosemite; an account of the mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians in a cross-section of the Sierra Nevada, by Joseph Grinnell and Tracy Irwin Storer. .. Berkeley, Calif., University of California Press, 1924. url p. 269, p. 269.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 105.
- Annual report of the Quebec Society for the Protection of Plants from Insects and Fungous Diseases. Quebec: The Society, 1909-1920. url p. 30.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 42 - 46 1973 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 3, p. 5, p. 5.
- Bibliography of bibliographies on chemistry and chemical technology, 1900-1924; compiled by Clarence J. West and D. D. Berolzheimer for Research Information Service, National Research Council. Washington, D. C., Published by the National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences, 1925. url p. 137.
- Bio-ecology, by Frederic E. Clements. .. and Victor E. Shelford. .. New York, J. Wiley & Sons, inc.;1939. url p. 288.
- Botanical Museum leaflets, Harvard University. 16 1953-1954 Cambridge, Mass.: Botanical Museum, Harvard University, 1932- url p. 293.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 212, p. 281, p. 63.
- Botanical publications of E.D. Merrill. [New York, etc., 1899- url , p. 287, p. 83.
- Breeding crop plants, New York [etc.]McGraw-Hill book company, inc., 1921. url , p. 90, p. 92, p. 94.
- Breeding crop plants, by Herbert Kendall Hayes and Ralph John Garber. New York [etc.]: McGraw-Hill book company, inc., 1921. url , p. 90, p. 92.
- British grasses and their employment in agriculture, Cambridge, University press, 1917. url , , .
- British plants: their biology and ecology / by J. F. Bevis and H. J. Jeffery. London: A. Rivers, 1911. url p. 295, p. 295, p. 320, p. 325, p. 325.
- British plants; their biology and ecology, London, Methuen url .
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 1033, p. 296, p. 314, p. 568, p. 569, p. 74, p. 782, p. 864, p. 980.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden record. 16 1927 [Brooklyn]: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1912-44. url p. 38.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 150.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Entomology. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1916. url p. 41, p. 43.
- Bulletin / United States Department of Agriculture, Division of Agrostology. Washington, D.C.: The Division, 1895-1901. url , , p. 10, p. 12, p. 19, p. 19, p. 203, p. 25, p. 26, p. 27, p. 36, p. 39, p. 45, p. 5.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1923 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 371.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 3 1903-1905 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 393.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url p. 10, p. 128, p. 157, p. 51.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 10, p. 110, p. 111, p. 112, p. 6.
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 135, p. 173, p. 184, p. 249, p. 329.
- California plants in their homes; a botanical reader for children [with supplement] Illustrated by Alice C. Cooper and Mary E. Lewis. Los Angeles, Cal., B. R. Baumgardt & co.1898. url .
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url , , , p. 105, p. 163, p. 279, p. 282, p. 302, p. 304, p. 32, p. 321, p. 78, p. 82.
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants, arranged according to the phyletic classification; with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Univ Columbus, The Ohio State University, 1914. url .
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants: arranged according to the phyletic classification: with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Uni by John H. Schaffner. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 150.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 47, p. 49.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 132, p. 47.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 425.
- Checklist of plants of the Ottawa District. Ottawa, 1958. url p. 15.
- Chemical fertilizers and parasiticides, by S. Hoare Collins. London, Baillière, Tindall and Cox, 1920. url p. 135.
- Chinese materia medica. extensively revised from F. Porter Smith's work by G. A. Stuart. Shanghai?: Presbyterian Mission Press?, 1911? url p. 164, p. 59.
- Common weeds of the farm & garden / by Harold C. Long in collaboration with John Percival. New York: Frederick A. Stokes, 1910. url p. 413, p. 436.
- Compte rendu du Congre?s international d'essais de semences. Discussions at the International Seed Testing Conference. Verhandlungen der Internationalen Konferenz fu?r Samenpru?fung a?/in Copenhague (Danemark), 6.- 10. VI. 1921. Hamburg, Druck von Lu?tcke & Wulff url , .
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory and the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: [s.n., url .
- Contributions from the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1899- url p. 642.
- Contributions towards a Cybele hibernica, being outlines of the geographical distribution of plants in Ireland. Dublin.E. Ponsonby, 1898. url .
- Cyclopedia of farm crops, New York, The Macmillan company, 1922. url p. 485.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops, a popular survey of crops and crop-making methods in the United States and Canada; New York, The Macmillan company, 1922. url , .
- Cyclopedia of farm crops: a popular survey of crops and crop-making methods in the United States and Canada / edited by L.H. Bailey. New York: Macmillan, 1922, c1907. url p. 372.
- Danish fungi as represented in the herbarium of E. Rostrup; Copenhagen, Gyldendalske Boghandel-Nordisk Forlag, 1913. url .
- Darwin and modern science; essays in commemoration of the centenary of the birth of Charles Darwin and of the fiftieth anniversary of the publication of the Origin of species. Edited for the Cambridge Philosophical Society and CambridgeUniversity Press1910 url p. 583.
- Dedication papers: scientific papers presented at the dedication of the laboratory building and plant houses, April 19-21, 1917. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1918. url p. 262, p. 359, p. 360, p. 362, p. 381, p. 382.
- Dictionary of biological equivalents, German-English, by Ernst Artschwager. .. Baltimore, The Williams & Wilkins company, 1930. url p. 79.
- Dictionary of genetics, including terms used in cytology, animal breeding and evolution. Waltham, Mass., Chronica Botanica Co., 1948. url p. 55.
- Dictionary of the common names of plants with list of foreign plants cultivated in the open / by Rudolf Marloth. Cape Town: Specialty Press of South Africa, 1917. url p. 36, p. 62.
- Diseases of cultivated plants and trees / by George Massee. New York: Macmillan, [1910?] url p. 247.
- Diseases of plants induced by cryptogamic parasites: introduction to the study of pathogenic Fungi, slime-Fungi, bacteria, & Algae / London; Longmans, Green & co., 1897. url .
- Ecological investigations upon the germination and early growth of forest trees. Lincoln, Neb.1916. url , , p. 19, p. 89.
- Edmonston's flora of Shetland: comprehending a list of the prevalent wild-flowers, horse-tails, club-mosses and ferns of the Shetland Isles. Edinburgh; Oliphant, Anderson & Ferrier, 1903. url p. 93.
- Effect of gibberellic acid and 2, 4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid on waterhyacinth, Eichhornia crassipes (Mart.) Solms / 1982. url p. 16, p. 89.
- Elementary flora of the Northwest, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company[c1914] url .
- Energy and environmental stress in aquatic systems: selected papers from a symposium held at Augusta, Georgia, November 2-4, 1977 / sponsored by Savannah River Ecology Laboratory, Institute of Ecology, University of Georgia, Assistant Secretary for Environment, U.S. Department of Energy, Savannah River National Environmental Resea [Washington]: Technical Information Center, U.S. Dept. of Energy; 1978. url p. 467.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 4, p. 54.
- Erythea. a journal of botany, West American and general. 1 1893 Berkeley, Calif., University of California, 1893-1922. url p. 101, p. 29, p. 85, p. 97.
- Essays on wheat, including the discovery and introduction of marquis wheat, the early history of wheat-growing in Manitoba, wheat in western Canada, the origin of red bobs and kitchener, and the wild wheat of Palestin New York, The Macmillan Company, 1919. url p. 285, p. 44.
- Essays on wheat: including the discovery and introduction of marquis wheat, the early history of wheat-growing in Manitoba, wheat in western Canada, the origin of red bobs and kitchener, and the wild wheat of Palestin New York: The Macmillan Company, 1919. url , .
- Farm and garden rule-book; New York, The Macmillan company, 1911. url p. 230.
- Farm and garden rule-book; a manual of ready rules and reference with recipes, precepts, formulas, and tabular information for the use of general farmers, gardeners, fruit-growers, stockmen, dairymen, poultrymen, foresters, rur New York, Macmillan, 1919. url p. 230.
- Farm grasses of the United States; a practical treatise on the grass crop, seeding and management of meadows and pastures, descriptions of the best varieties, the seed and its impurities, grasses for special conditions, etc., etc. New York, O. Judd company, 1916. url .
- Farm weeds of Canada / by George H. Clark and James Fletcher; with illustrations by Norman Criddle. Ottawa: Dept. of Agriculture, 1923 url p. 28.
- Farm weeds of Canada, by George H. Clark and James Fletcher. With illustrations by Norman Criddle. Published by direction of the Hon. Sydney A. Fisher, Minister of Agriculture, Ottawa, 1909. Ottawa: Govt. Print. Bureau,  url p. 28.
- Farmer's cyclopedia: a compilation of such bulletins and reports as are indispensable to the practical farmer. Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1914. url p. 533.
- Farming industries of Cape Colony. By Robert Wallace. .. With 81 full-page plates, 14 maps, 6 plans, and 92 illustrations in the text. London: P. S. King and son; [etc.], 1896. url p. 529, p. 529.
- Feeds and feeding; Madison, Wis., The Henry-Morrison company, 1915. url p. 639.
- Ferns and flowering plants of South Dakota. Sioux Falls, S.D.: W.A. Beach, 1899 url p. 114.
- Field and woodland plants, by W.S. Furneaux. With 8 plates in colour, and numerous illustrations by Patten Wilson, and photographs from nature by the author. London, Longmans, Green, 1911. url p. 295.
- Field crop production; a text-book for elementary courses in schools and brief courses in colleges, New York, The Macmillan company, 1914. url .
- Field crops for the cotton-belt, New York, The Macmillan company, 1917. url , .
- Field crops for the cotton-belt, by James Oscar Morgan. New York: The Macmillan company, 1917. url p. 272, p. 272, p. 273, p. 273, p. 443, p. 443.
- Field crops in South Africa, by H. D. Leppan and G. J. Bosman. [Johannesburg]Central News Agency, 1923. url p. 266, p. 59.
- Field crops, by A. D. Wilson and C. W. Warburton. St. Paul, Minn., Webb Pub. Co., 1918. url p. 164.
- Field crops, by A. D. Wilson. .. and C. W. Warburton. St. Paul, Minn., Webb publishing co., 1912. url p. 176.
- Field crops, by A.D. Wilson. .. and C.W. Warburton. St. Paul, Minn., Webb Pub. Co., 1914, [c1912] url p. 176.
- First book of grasses: the structure of grasses explained for beginners / Agnes Chase. New York: Macmillan, 1922. url p. 117.
- First book of grasses; the structure of grasses explained for beginners, New York, the Macmillan Company, 1922. url , p. 117.
- Flora Washingtonensis; a catalogue of the Phaenogamia and Pteridophyta of the state of Washington, n.p., 1892 url .
- Flora of Berkshire County, Massachusetts. Boston, 1922. url p. 210.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 28.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 28.
- Flora of Colorado, Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url , .
- Flora of Colorado, by P. A. Rydberg, PH. D. Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url p. 34, p. 35.
- Flora of Colorado, by P.A. Rydberg. Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url p. 34, p. 34, p. 35, p. 35.
- Flora of County Kerry: including the flowering plants, ferns, Characeae, &c. Dublin: Hodges, Figgis, 1916. url .
- Flora of Delaware and the Eastern Shore: an annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of the peninsula of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. [Wilmington]: Society of Natural History of Delaware, 1946. url p. 28.
- Flora of Guatemala: part II: grasses of Guatemala / Jason R. Swallen; Bamboos / F.A. McClure. 24 1955 Chicago, Ill.: Chicago Natural History Museum, 1955. url p. 47.
- Flora of Guernsey and the lesser Channel Islands: namely, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, and the adjacent islets. London, Dulau, 1901. url p. 198, p. 384.
- Flora of Illinois, containing keys for identification of flowering plants and ferns. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame Press, 1963. url p. 338.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 1027, p. 123.
- Flora of Japan: in English: combined, much revised and extended translation / by the author of his Flora of Japan (1953) and Flora of Japan, Pteridophyta (1957); edited by Frederick G. Meyer and Egbert H. Walker. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965. url p. 148.
- Flora of Kwangtung and Hongkong (China) being an account of the floweriing plants, ferns and fern allies together with keys for their determination preceded by a map and introduction, London, H. M. Stationery off., printed by Darling and son, ltd., 1912. url .
- Flora of Los Angeles and vicinity / by LeRoy Abrams. Stanford University, Cal. 1917. url p. 36.
- Flora of Los Angeles and vicinity, by LeRoy Abrams. Stanford University, Cal., Stanford University Press, 1911. url p. 39.
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the ferns, conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb., 1923 url p. 48.
- Flora of New Mexico / by E.O. Wooton and Paul C. Standley. Washington: G.P.O., 1915. url p. 81.
- Flora of New Mexico. By E.O. Wooton and Paul C. Standley. WashingtonGovt. Print. Off.1915 url p. 81.
- Flora of Santa Catalina island (California) / Charles Frederick Millspaugh and Lawrence William Nuttall. 5 1923 Chicago, 1923. url p. 49.
- Flora of Vermont. List of ferns and seed plants growing without cultivation. Prepared by Vermont Botanical Club. Burlington, Vt., Free Press Print. Co., 1915. url p. 166.
- Flora of southern British Columbia and Vancouver Island: with many references to Alaska and northern species / by Joseph Kaye Henry. Toronto: W.J. Gage, c1915. url p. 36.
- Flora of the Queen Charlotte Islands. [Ottawa: Queen's Printer], 1968-. url p. 189, p. 24, p. 563.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. 2 1934 [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 216.
- Flora of the northwest coast, including the area west of the summit of the Cascade Mountains, from the forty-ninth parallel south to the Calapooia Mountains on the south border of Lane County, Oregon. Lancaster, Pa., Press of the New Era Printing Company, 1915. url .
- Flora of the northwest coast: including the area west of the summit of the Cascade Mountains, from the forty-ninth parallel south to the Calapooia Mountains on the south border of Lane County, Oregon / by Charles V. Piper and R. Kent Beattie. Lancaster, Pa.: Press of the New era printing company, 1915. url p. 46.
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url .
- Flowering plants of the Riviera: a sescriptive account of 1800 of the more interesting species / by H. Stuart Thompson; with an introduction on Riviera vegetation by A. G. Tansley London; New York: Longmans, Green, 1914. url p. 234.
- Fodder crops of the Punjab. Lahore, Govt. print., 1912 url p. 16.
- Fundamentals of agriculture, ed. by James Edward Halligan. Boston, D.C. Heath and company, 1911. url p. 126.
- Fungous diseases of plants, with chapters on physiology, culture methods and technique. Boston, Ginn[c1909] url p. 372.
- Fungous diseases of plants: with chapters on physiology, culture methods and technique / Boston; Ginn, [c1909] url .
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E.T. Cook. [London]"Country Life" [etc., 1914] url .
- General embryological information service. Utrecht, Hubrecht Laboratory. url p. 204.
- General index to the flora of Formosa as recorded in all literature up to the publication of Icones plantarum Formosanarum VI = Taiwan shokubutsu somokuroku / [B. Hayata] [Taihoku]: Taiwan Sotokufu Minseibu Shokusankyoku, 1917. url p. 94.
- Genetics and eugenics: a text-book for students of biology and a reference book for animal and plant breeders. Cambridge [Mass.]Harvard University Press1921 url p. 384.
- Genetics today: proceedings of the XI International Congress of Genetics, The Hague, The Netherlands, September 1963 / edited by S. J. Geerts. Oxford: Pergamon Press, 1963-65. url p. 217.
- Grasses of Ontario Toronto: Ontario Dept. of Agriculture, 1895 url , .
- Grasses of the West Indies. By A. S. Hitchcock and Agnes Chase. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1917. url p. 372, p. 433.
- Grasses of the West Indies. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1917. url p. 372, p. 433.
- Grasses: a handbook for use in the field and laboratory / by H. Marshall Ward. Cambridge: University Press, 1901. url p. 156, p. 157, p. 183, p. 190, p. 28, p. 77.
- Grasses; a handbook for use in the field and laboratory. By H. Marshall Ward. Cambridge, University Press, 1908. url p. 156, p. 190.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1987 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 700.
- Growth in living systems; proceedings. Edited by M.X. Zarrow assisted by Harry Beevers [and others]. New York, Basic Books url p. 556.
- Growth of plants; twenty years' research at Boyce Thompson Institute. New York, Reinhold Pub. Corp., 1948. url p. 133, p. 135, p. 39.
- Handbook of experiment station work. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1893. url p. 170.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 232.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url .
- Handbook of grasses, treating of their structure, classification, geographical distribution and uses, also describing the British species and their habitats. London, Macmillan, 1910. url , .
- Handbook of nature study, for teachers and pupils in elementary schools. By D. Lange. .. London: The Macmillan co., 1898. url p. 192.
- Handbook of the British flora: a description of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to, or naturalized in, the British Isles. For the use of beginners and amateurs. By George Bentham. London: L. Reeve & Co., 1920. url p. 523.
- History of the Outer Hebrides: (Lewis, Harris, North and South Uist, Benbecula, and Barra) by W.C. Mackenzie. Paisley: A. Gardner, 1903. url p. 572.
- Icones plantarum formosanarum nec non et contributiones ad floram formosanam: or, Icones of the plants of Formosa, and materials for a flora of the island, based on a study of the collections of the Botanical survey of the Government of Formosa / By B. Hayata. .. Taihoku: Bureau of Productive Industry, Government of Formosa, 1911-1921. url p. 90.
- Illustrations of the British flora: a series of wood engravings, with dissections, of British plants, drawn by W.H. Fitch and W.G. Smith. London: Reeve, 1908. url p. 291.
- Improving California ranges / Berkeley, Calif.: College of Agriculture, University of California, 1945. url .
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 186, p. 283, p. 309, p. 326, p. 330, p. 384, p. 473, p. 611, p. 618, p. 670, p. 850.
- Investigation of the economic status of non-game birds. By H. C. Bryant. .. [Sacramento]State Print. Off. url p. 13.
- Iowa year book of agriculture. [Des Moines], Iowa Dept. of Agriculture, 1901-1952. url p. 199, p. 937.
- Journal of agricultural research. Washington, U.S. Govt. Printing Office, 1913-1949.. url p. 158, p. 213, p. 215, p. 260, p. 264, p. 296, p. 307, p. 312, p. 364, p. 444, p. 474, p. 476, p. 478, p. 480, p. 482, p. 489.
- Journal of economic entomology. [College Park, Md., etc.]Entomological Society of America [etc.] url p. 300.
- Journal of genetics. Cambridge: University Press, 1910-1977. url p. 49, p. 63.
- Key to the Rocky Mountain flora; Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and parts of Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, and British Columbia. New York, 1919. url p. 30.
- Leaflets of western botany. San Fransisco:[J. T. Howell], 1932-1966. url , , p. 164, p. 260, p. 56.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 519.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 44.
- Manual of British grasses / 1907 London: Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent,  url p. 14, p. 156, p. 5.
- Manual of the New Zealand flora. By T. F. Cheeseman. .. Wellington, N. Z., J. Mackay, Govt. Printer, 1906. url p. 1091.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 118.
- Manual of the grasses of the United States / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington: U.S. G.P.O., 1935. url p. 296, p. 297, p. 803.
- Manual of vascular plants of the lower Yangtze Valley, China. Corvallis, Oregon State College url p. 449, p. 582.
- Memoirs / Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Garden, 1918-1936. url p. 359, p. 381, p. 382.
- Memoirs of the Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum of Polynesian Ethnology and Natural History. Honolulu: [Bishop Museum Press], 1899-1949. url , p. 142, p. 143, p. 225.
- Memoirs of the Horticultural Society of New York. [New York]: The Society, c1904-c1927. url p. 105, p. 105.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 12 1981 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url fig. 21, page 40.
- Minnesota botanical studies. Minneapolis, Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. url , , p. 96.
- Molecular & general genetics: MGG. Berlin; Springer-Verlag, 1908-2001 url p. 14, p. 290, p. 295.
- Morphology and taxonomy of fungi. Philadelphia, Blakiston, 1950. url p. 416, p. 759.
- Morphology of angiosperms (Morphology of spermatophytes, Part II) by John Merle Coulter and Charles James [!] Chamberlain. New York, Appleton & Co., 1903. url p. 118, p. 141, p. 192, p. 225, p. 33, p. 44, p. 69, p. 98.
- Morphology of angiosperms: (Morphology of spermatophytes, Part II) / by John Merle Coulter and Charles Joseph Chamberlain. New York: D. Appleton, 1909, c1903. url p. 118, p. 141, p. 225, p. 44, p. 61, p. 67.
- Muhlenbergia. Chico, Calif. [etc] url p. 141, p. 363.
- Nature studies (plant life). London, Blackie, 1903. url p. 331.
- New manual of botany of the central Rocky mountains (vascular plants) Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company[c1909] url , .
- New or noteworthy Philippine plants. .. / by Elmer D. Merrill. Manila: Bureau of Public Printing, 1904-1922. url p. 287.
- Nomenclature of plants; a text for the application by the case method of the International code of botanical nomenclature. New York, Ronald Press Co. url p. 96.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 4 1907 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 132, p. 157.
- Notes on the life history of British flowering plants, London, Macmillan and Co., Ltd., 1905. url .
- Occasional papers - San Diego Society of Natural History. 1949 San Diego, The Society. url p. 15, p. 15.
- Pamphlets on forestry in California. [1900?- url p. 106.
- Permanent and temporary pastures, London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent & Co., 1891. url .
- Permanent and temporary pastures, by Martin J. Sutton. London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent & Co., limited, 1911. url p. 39.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 78.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 122, p. 21, p. 219, p. 282, p. 328, p. 375, p. 494.
- Plant indicators: the relation of plant communities to process and practice. WashingtonCarnegie Institution of Washington1920 url , p. 279, p. 282, p. 302, p. 303, p. 304, p. 321, p. xii, p. xv.
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 372.
- Plant life of Alabama. An account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. Prepared in cooperationwith the Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1901. url .
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 372.
- Plants of Iowa; a preliminary list of the native and introduced plants of the state, not under cultivation; comp. by Wesley Greene, secretary. Des Moines, Bishard brothers, printers, 1907. url p. 134.
- Popular errors about plants / New York: Rural Pub. Co., [c1892] url .
- Popular errors about plants; by A. A. Crozier. New York, Rural publishing company[c1892] url p. 42.
- Popular names of flowers, fruits, &c., as used in the county of Somerset and the adjacent parts of Devon, Dorset and Wilts. Yeovil, Western Gazette, 1922. url p. 222, p. 279, p. 53, p. 87.
- Practical agriculture by Charles C. James. New York: D. Appleton, 1899. url .
- Principal poisonous plants of Canada / by Faith Fyles. Ottawa: Dept. of Agriculture, Dominion Experimental Farms, 1920. url , p. 107, p. 17, p. 17.
- Proceedings and transactions of the British Entomological and Natural History Society. London, British Entomological and Natural History Society. url .
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco, Calif.: The Academy, 1897-1904. url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 76.
- Proceedings, International conference on plant breeding and hybridization, 1902, held in the rooms of the American Institute of the City of New York and in the Museum building of the New York Botanica New York?1904 url p. 105.
- Proceedings. 3d ser.: Botany. San Francisco url , , , , p. 331, p. 335, p. 337, p. 339, p. 344, p. 345, p. 347, p. 349, p. 355.
- Recent advances in cytology, by C. D. Darlington. With a foreword by J. B. S. Haldane. With 16 plates, 160 text-figures and 81 tables. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co., inc., 1937. url p. 193.
- Recent advances in microscopy; biological applications, edited by A. Piney. With 83 illustrations. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co., inc., 1931. url p. 229.
- Reports of the Survey. Botanical series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892- url p. 96.
- Reproductive biology of the lesser cornstalk borer, Elasmopalpus Lignosellus (Zeller) (Lepidoptera: Phycitidae) / by Karl Johnson Stone. 1968. url p. 9.
- Rural California, by E. J. Wickson. New York, The Macmillan company, 1923. url p. 112, p. 393.
- Science studies, v.1, no. 1-3. Bozeman, Mont.1905. url p. 131.
- Scientific feeding of the domestic animals, by Martin Klimmer. Chicago, A. Eger, 1923. url p. 81, p. 85.
- Seeds handbook for agriculture, horticulture and forestry, with a key for the identification of the important agricultural seeds = Handbuch der Samenkunde für Landwirtschaft, Gartenbau und Forstwirtschaft, mit einem Schlussel zur Bestimmung der wichtigsten landwirtschaftlichen Samen / Walther Brouwen and Adolf Stahlin. [S.l.: s.n.], 1980. url p. 72.
- Select extra-tropical plants readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation with indications of their native countries and some of their uses / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: R. S. Brain, govt. printer, 1895. url p. 611, p. 613, p. 616, p. 66, p. 67.
- Selected western flora: Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta / Toronto: Macmillan Company of Canada, [c1915] url .
- Settler's guide and farmer's handbook. .. Issued by direction of the Bureau of agriculture. Ed. by L. Lindley-Cowen. .. pt. 1. Perth, E.S. Wigg, 1897- url p. 571.
- Smithsonian scientific series. New York: Smithsonian Institution Series, Inc., -32. url p. 210.
- Some grasses of the Northeast: a key to their identification by vegetative characters. Newark, Delaware: University of Delaware, Agricultural Experiment Station, 1962. url p. 58, p. 75.
- Sources of the Ohio flora, by A.D. Selby and J.W.T. Duvel. Columbus, 1899 url p. 51.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 121, p. 193, p. 239, p. 334, p. 621, p. 628, p. 65.
- Species and varieties, their origin by mutation; lectures delivered at the University of California Chicago, The Open Court Publishing Company; [etc., etc.]1906. url , , .
- Species and varieties: their origin by mutation / lectures delivered at the University of California by Hugo DeVries; edited by Daniel Trembly MacDougal. Chicago: The Open Court; 1906, c1904. url p. 100, p. 207, p. 828.
- Species and varieties; their origin by mutation. Lectures delivered at the University of California by Hugo De Vries. Edited by Daniel Trembly MacDougal. Chicago, K. Paul, Trench, Truber, 1906 [c1904] url p. 100, p. 207, p. 826.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 28.
- Systematic arrangement of Australian Fungi, together with host-index and list of works on the subject. By D. McAlpine. Melbourne, R.S. Brain, Govt. Printer, 1895. url p. 214.
- Taxonomic literature: a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types (TL2) Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema, 1976-1988. url p. 498.
- Text-book of pastoral and agricultural botany, for the study of the injurious and useful plants of country and farm, by John W. Harshberger. .. with 121 illustrations. Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Son & Co., [c1920] url p. 162, p. 274.
- Textbook of pastoral and agricultural botany, for the study of the injurious and useful plants of country and farm, by John W. Harshberger. .. with 121 illustrations. Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Son & Co., [c1920] url p. 162, p. 274, p. 274.
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 141, p. 219, p. 225.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 101, p. 102, p. 172, p. 176, p. 227, p. 235, p. 238, p. 29, p. 37, p. 39.
- The British rust fungi (Uredinales) their biology and classification, Cambridge, University Press, 1913. url , .
- The Bulletin of the North Carolina Department of Agriculture. Raleigh: State Board of Agriculture, [1907- url p. 6, p. 6, p. 7.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 73 1959 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url title page, index , p. 105, p. 124, p. 128, p. 16, p. 161, p. 171, p. 183, p. 200, p. 205, p. 206, p. 212, p. 219, p. 220, p. 238, p. 245, p. 264, p. 4, p. 492, p. 498, p. 556, p. 76, p. 80.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 30.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 41 1981 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 13, fig. 5, page 169, p. 172, fig. 10, page 173, durant, dole & fisler, page 19, p. 245, owings & borchert, page 402, p. 77.
- The Journal of heredity. Washington, etc., American Genetic Association url p. 64, p. 64, p. 71, p. 71, p. 74, p. 79, p. 80, p. 81, p. 84, p. 85.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 360, p. 526.
- The Journal of the Department of Agriculture, Victoria. [Melbourne]:Dept. of Agriculture, Victoria, 1902-1955. url p. 406.
- The Natural history of the Toronto Region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. -- Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url .
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 186, p. 413.
- The Philippine journal of science. 10 1915 Manila. url p. 287, p. 423.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 341.
- The University of Missouri studies. [Columbia]: The University, 1905-1918. url p. 192, p. 44.
- The Victoria history of the county of Warwick. London: Published for the University of London Institute of Historical Research by Dawsons of Pall Mall, 1965- url p. 50.
- The anthropology of Iraq. The Upper Euphrates / by Henry Field, Curator of Physical Anthropology. Chicago:Field Museum, 1940 url p. 169, p. 190, p. 195.
- The botany of crop plants: a text and reference book. Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Son, [c1917] url , , , , , .
- The botany of crop plants; a text and reference book, by Wilfred W. Robbins. .. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co.[c1917] url p. 130, p. 131, p. 133, p. 134.
- The broad-sclerophyll vegetation of California; an ecological study of the chaparral and its related communities. WashingtonCornegie Institution of Washington1922 url p. 32, p. 82.
- The classification of flowering plants. Cambridge, Univ. Press, 1904-25. url p. 239.
- The complete grazier and farmers' and cattlebreeders' assistant. .. originally written by William Youatt. .. considerably enlarged and mainly rewritten in 1893 and 1900 by William Fream. .. London, C. Lockwood and son, 1908. url p. 858, p. 914.
- The elements of genetics / C. D. Darlington and K. Mather. New York: Macmillan, 1950. url p. 338.
- The flora of Boulder, Colorado, and vicinity, by Francis Potter Daniels. .. [Columbia, Mo.]The University of Missouri, 1911. url p. 273, p. 44.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire, including part of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, by G.F. Scott-Elliot. Assisted by J. M'Andrew [and others] DumfriesJ. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 191.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire: including part of the stewartry of Kirkcudbright / by G.F. Scott-Elliot; assisted by J. M'Andrew. .. [et al.] Dumfries: J. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 191.
- The flora of Scott and Muscatine counties. By W.D. Barnes, Fred Reppert [and] A.A. Miller. Davenport, Iowa, 1901 url p. 275.
- The flora of Tennessee and a philosophy of botany: respectfully dedicated to the citizens of Tennessee / by Augustin Gattinger. Nashville: Press of Gospel Advocate Pub. Co., 1901. url p. 42.
- The game birds of California. .. by Joseph Grinnell, Harold Child Bryant and Tracy Irwin Storer. 1918 Berkeley, University of California Press, 1918. url p. 512.
- The genera of grasses of the United States: with special reference to the economic species / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, 1920. url p. 111, p. 112.
- The grasses and grass-like plants of New Mexico / E.O. Wooton and Paul C. Standley. Agricultural College, N.M.: New Mexico College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, Agricultural Experiment Station, 1912. url p. 89, p. 91.
- The grasses and grasslands of South Africa, Pietermaritzburg, P. David & Sons, Ltd., Printers, 1918. url .
- The grasses of Hawaii, by A. S. Hitchcock. Honolulu, Hawaii, Bishop Museum Press, 1922. url p. 127, p. 45.
- The grasses of Illinois / by Edna Mosher. Urbana, Ill.: University of Illinois Agricultural Experiment Station, 1918. url p. 366, p. 367.
- The grasses of Illinois, by Edna Mosher. Urbana, Ill., 1918. url p. 366, p. 367.
- The grasses of Iowa / L. H. Pammel, J. B. Weems, and F. Lamson-Schribner. Des Moines: Iowa Geological Survey, 1901-1904  i.e. 1905] url , , p. 186, p. 188, p. 269, p. 98.
- The importance of seed characteristics in the natural reproduction of coniferous forests / by Julius Valentine Hofmann. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota, 1918. url p. 22.
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 66.
- The mutation theory; experiments and observations on the origin of species in the vegetable kingdom, by Hugo de Vries. Tr. by J. B. Farmer and A. D. Darbishire. Chicago, Open Court Pub. Co., 1909-10. url p. 577, p. 98.
- The natural history of the Toronto region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url p. 105.
- The naturalisation of animals & plants in New Zealand, Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1922. url .
- The naturalised flora of South Australia / by J.M. Black. Adelaide: J.M. Black, 1909. url p. 177.
- The phylogenetic method in taxonomy; the North American species of Artemisia, Chrysothamnus, and Atriplex, by Harvey M. Hall and Frederic E. Clements. Washington, The Carnegie institution of Washington, 1923. url p. 251, p. 312, p. 312, p. 351, p. 56, p. 56.
- The plants of Prince Edward Island / Ottawa: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1985. url p. 32, p. 74.
- The principles of agronomy; a text-book of crop production for high-schools and short-courses in agricultural colleges, by Franklin S. Harris. .. and George Stewart. New York, The Macmillan company, 1915. url p. 209.
- The rusts of Australia their structure, nature and classification / by D. McAlpine. Melbourne: Robt. S. Brain, government printer1906. url p. 121, p. 124, p. 312, p. 436, p. 445.
- The rusts of Australia, their structure, nature, and classification. Melbourne, Brain, 1906. url p. 121, p. 122, p. 124, p. 268, p. 330, p. 339.
- The small grains, by Mark Alfred Carleton. .. New York, The Macmillan company, 1916. url p. 448, p. 643, p. 88, p. 93, p. 95.
- The smuts of Australia, their structure, life history, treatment, and classification. By D. McAlpine. Melbourne, J. Kemp, government printer url p. 146, p. 275.
- The subantarctic islands of New Zealand. Reports on the geo-physics, geology, zoology and botany of the islands lying to the south of New Zealand, based mainly on observations and collections made during an expedition in the government steam Wellington, N.Z.Printed by J. McKay, Gov't. Printer1909 url p. 231.
- The trees, shrubs, and plants of Virgil, [New York, B. H. Blackwell;1920. url p. 147, p. 19.
- The variation of animals and plants under domestication, by Charles Darwin. London, J. Murray, 1893. url p. 330.
- The weed flora of Iowa / [by L. H. Pammel; with the collaboration of Charlotte M. King. .. et al.] Des Moines: Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 40, p. 415, p. 416, p. 715, p. 736, p. 789, p. 810, p. 829, p. 875.
- The weed flora of Iowa Des Moines, Iowa geological survey, 1913. url , , , , , , .
- The weed flora of Iowa. .. Des Moines, Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 40, p. 415, p. 416, p. 736, p. 789, p. 810, p. 829, p. 875.
- The weeds of New South Wales, pt. I- Sydney, W.A. Gullick, Gov't. printer, 1920- url p. 20, p. 22, p. 61, p. 8.
- The weeds of Ontario / by F. C. Harrison. Toronto: Ontario Dept. of Agriculture, 1900. url .
- The weeds, poison plants, and naturalized aliens of Victoria. Melbourne, J. Kemp, Government Printer1909. url .
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 191, p. 221, p. 24.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Royal Society of South Australia (Incorporated). Adelaide: W.C. Rigby, 1912-1937. url p. 328.
- Transactions of the British Mycological Society. London: Cambridge University Press, [1897-c1988] url p. 100.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 140, p. 397.
- Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. Springfield, Ill., Illinois State Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 178.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 93.
- Tutira: the story of a New Zealand sheep station / by H. Guthrie-Smith. Edinburgh: Blackwood, 1921. url p. 249.
- University of California publications in zoology. Berkeley: University Press, 1906- url p. 421, p. 425, p. 446.
- Useful wild plants of the United States and Canada, by Charles Francis Saunders. Illustrated with photographs by the author and with drawings by Lucy Hamilton Aring. New York, R. M. McBride & company, 1934. url p. 264, p. 52.
- Vegetable gardening. A manual on the growing of vegetables for home use and marketing. By Samuel B. Green. St. Paul, Webb Publishing Co., 1915. url p. 322.
- Wayside and woodland blossoms: a pocket guide to British wild-flowers for the country rambler / by Edward Step. London; F. Warne, 1895. url p. 116.
- Wayside and woodland blossoms; a pocket guide to British wild flowers for the country rambler. London, Warne, 1895. url p. 116.
- Weed control / Berkeley, Calif.: College of Agriculture, University of California, 1936. url .
- Weeds and how to eradicate them, St. Paul, Minn., Webb Pub. Co.[c1911] url p. 183.
- Weeds and how to eradicate them, by Thomas Shaw. St. Paul, Minn., Webb Pub. Co.[c1911] url p. 183.
- Weeds of farm land, by Winifred E. Brenchley. New York, Longmans, Green and co., 1920. url p. 15, p. 16, p. 208, p. 71.
- Weeds of farm land. London, Longmans, 1920. url p. 16, p. 208, p. 58, p. 71, p. ix.
- Weeds of the North Central States. Urbana, Ill: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Agriculture, Agricultural Experiment Station,  url p. 17, p. 278.
- Weeds of the farm and garden, by L.H. Pammel. .. New York, Orange Judd, 1912. url p. 149, p. 46, p. 57.
- Western grazing grounds and forest ranges; a history of the live-stock industry as conducted on the open ranges of the arid West, Chicago, The Breeder's gazette, 1913. url p. 61.
- With the flowers and trees in California, by Charles Francis Saunders. Illustrations of flowers in color, by Elizabeth Hallowell Saunders. New York: McBride, Nast, 1914. url p. 279, p. 53.
- Yearbook of agriculture. WashingtonU.S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 241, p. 277.
- [Collected reprints, 1895-1916. s.l., s.n., 19--] url , .
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- GBIF-Spain, Real Jardin Botanico
- , Vascular Plant Herbarium
- GBIF-Spain, Universidad de Oviedo. Departamento de Biología de Organismos y Sistemas: FCO
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2661472
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-41458
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4462689
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:881534-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 6104
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 41458
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PMPOA0S030
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: AVFAG
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 24476
- Zhen-lan Wu & Sylvia M. Phillips "Avena". in Flora of China Vol. 22 Page 316, 323. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Avena fatua". in Flora of China Vol. 22 Page 323, 324. Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 196.120 meters (643.438 feet), Standard Deviation = 322.020 based on 10,676 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]