Common Names in English:
Masterwort, Greater Masterwort
Flowers: Bloom Period: April, May, June, July, August. • Flower Color: near white, white
Size: 18-24" tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 1,840 meters (0 to 6,037 feet).
Culture: Space 18-24" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 6.1 • Maximum pH: 7.8
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Infraphylum: Angiospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 17-Oct-2001
Members of the genus Astrantia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 24 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
A. major (Masterwort) · A. major alba (Masterwort) · A. major involucrata 'Canneman' (Great Masterwort) · A. major involucrata 'Shaggy' (Great Masterwort) · A. major major (Greater Masterwort) · A. major var. rosea (Masterwort) · A. major 'Abbey Road' (Abbey Road Masterwort) · A. major 'Claret' (Masterwort) · A. major 'Dark Claret' (Masterwort) · A. major 'Hadspen Blood' (Masterwort) · A. major 'Lars' (Masterwort) · A. major 'Magnum Blush' (Magnum Blush Masterwort) · A. major 'Maxima' (Masterwort) · A. major 'Moulin Rouge' (Masterwort) · A. major 'Primadonna' (Masterwort) · A. major 'Rosensinfonie' (Masterwort) · A. major 'Rubra' (Masterwort) · A. major 'Ruby Cloud' (Masterwort) · A. major 'Ruby Wedding' (Masterwort) · A. major 'Snowstar' (Masterwort) · A. major 'Sunningdale Gold' (Variegated Masterwort) · A. major 'Sunningdale Variegated' (Variegated Masterwort) · A. 'Bloody Mary' (Masterwort) · A. 'Buckland' (Masterwort)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A biographical index of British and Irish botanists, London, West, Newman & co., 1893. url .
- A catalogue of plants cultivated in the garden of John Gerard, in the years 1596-1599 /edited with notes, references to Gerard's Herball, the addition of modern names, and a life of the author, by Benjamin Daydon Jackson. 1876 London: Privately printed, 1876 url p. 26, p. 58.
- A compendium of the Cybele britannica; or British plants in their geographical relations. London, Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1870. url , .
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 14, p. 165, p. 84.
- A natural arrangement of British plants: according to their relations to each other as pointed out by Jussieu, De Candolle, Brown, &c.. .. / with an introduction to botany. .. By Samuel Frederick Gray. .. London: Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, 1821. url p. 133.
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood; with sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url p. 52.
- A supplement to the Pharmacopia, and treatise on pharmacology in general: including not only the drugs and preparations used by practitioners of medicine, but also most of those employed in the chemical arts: together with a collection of the most useful medical formulæ. . by Samuel Frederic Gray. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman, 1836. url p. 82.
- A text-book of botany / London; Macmillan, 1898. url .
- A text-book of botany, by Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. Fritz Noll. .. [and] Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1908. url p. 307.
- Abstract of proceedings of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London [Eng.]: South London Entomological and Natural History Society, [1885-1896] url p. 104, p. 73.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 122.
- Alien flora of Britain. London, West, Newman, 1905. url p. 83.
- Alpine flowers and gardens, painted and described by G. Flemwell. London, A. & C. Black, 1910. url p. 105, p. 163, p. 163, p. 67, p. 67.
- American medicinal plants; an illustrated and descriptive guide to the American plants used as homopathic remedies: their history, preparation, chemistry and physiological effects. By Charles F. Millspaugh. 1887 New York, Boericke & Tafel, c1887. url p. 45.
- American medicinal plants;: an illustrated and descriptive guide to the American plants used as homopathic remedies: their history, preparation, chemistry, and physiological effects. / By Charles F. Millspaugh, . ..; Illustrated by the author. New York; Boericke & Tafel., c1887. url , .
- An encyclopaedia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. London, Printed for Longman, Ross, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1828. url p. 872, p. 885.
- An encyclopædia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. .. illustrated with many hundred engravings on wood by Branston. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1827. url p. 872, p. 885.
- An introduction to physiological and systematical botany. London, Longman, Hurst, Reese, Orme, 1807. url p. 517.
- An introduction to systematic and physiological botany. by Thomas Nuttall. Cambridge [Mass.]Hilliard amd Brown;1827. url p. 336.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 152, p. 152, p. 182, p. 182, p. 368, p. 382, p. 420.
- Beautiful gardens: how to make and maintain them / by Walter P. Wright. -- London; Cassell and company, 1909. url , p. 45.
- Botanisk tidsskrift / utgivet af den Botaniske forening i København. København: G.E.C. Gads Forlag, 1866-1981. url p. 431.
- British bee journal & bee-keepers adviser. London. url , p. 168.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1923 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 126, p. 372.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 12, p. 148, p. 256.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url .
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 2, p. 2, p. 238.
- Catalogue of the Hemiptera (Heteroptera) with biological and anatomical references, lists of foodplants and parasites, etc. prefaced by a discussion on nomenclature, and an analytical table of families, by G. W. Kirkaldy. Berlin, F. L. Dames, 1909- url p. 275.
- Colour in my garden, by Louise Beebe Wilder. Illustrated in colour, by Anna Winegar. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1918. url p. 353.
- Coloured vade-mecum to the alpine flora... S.l.: s.n., 1914? url , .
- Commercial gardening, a practical & scientific treatise for market gardeners, market growers, fruit, flower & vegetable growers, nurserymen, etc. By many practical specialists under the editorship of John Weathers. London, The Gresham publishing company, 1913. url , p. 11.
- Companion to the Botanical magazine: being a journal, containing such interesting botanical information as does not come within the prescribed limits of the magazine; with occasional figures /by W.J. Hooker. 2 1836-1837 London: Printed by E. Conchman. .. for the proprietor, S. Curtis, 1835-1836 [i.e., 1835-1837] url p. 324.
- Diseases of plants induced by cryptogamic parasites: introduction to the study of pathogenic Fungi, slime-Fungi, bacteria, & Algae / London; Longmans, Green & co., 1897. url .
- English botany, or, Coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: R. Hardwicke, 1863-1886. url .
- English botany, or, coloured figures of British plants / edited by John T. Boswell Syme; the popular portion by Mrs. Lankester; the figures by J. Sowerby, J. de C. Sowerby, J.W. Salter, and John Edward Sowerby. London: G. Bell, 1873. url .
- Essay on the mineral waters of Carlsbad for physicians and patients / by John de Carro; with observations on the microscopic animalcules about the hot springs of Carlsbad by A.J.C. Corda, and a flora of Carlsbad by C.B. Presl. Prague: Printed by T. Haase, 1835. url p. 131.
- Everyday objects; or, Picturesque aspects of natural history. .. London, W.P. Nimmo, 1876. url p. 258.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 118.
- Flora medica; a botanical account of all the more important plants used in medicine in different parts of the world. London, Longman, 1838. url p. 33.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 442.
- Flowering plants of the Riviera: a sescriptive account of 1800 of the more interesting species / by H. Stuart Thompson; with an introduction on Riviera vegetation by A. G. Tansley London; New York: Longmans, Green, 1914. url p. 112.
- Flowers; their origin, shapes, perfumes, and colours / Boston: Roberts Brothers, 1878. url , p. 275.
- Four essays written by students at Wisley, 1913. .. [London]Printed by Spottiswoode & co. ltd., 1913. url , p. 43.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 520.
- Garden flowers: how to cultivate them. A treatise on the culture of hardy ornamental trees, shrubs, annuals, herbaceous and bedding plants. By Edward Sprague Rand, jr. Boston: J. E. Tilton and Company, 1866. url p. 54.
- Garden flowers; how to cultivate them. A treatise on the culture of hardy ornamental trees, shrubs, annuals, herbaceous and bedding plants. By Edward Sprague Rand, jr.. .. Boston, J. E. Tilton and company, 1866. url p. 54.
- Garden planning and planting / ed. by H. H. Thomas; with numerous illustrations from photographs and sketches. London; Cassell and company, ltd., 1910. url p. 146.
- Garden planning and planting / edited by H. H. Thomas. -- London; Cassell and company, 1910. url p. 149.
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E.T. Cook. [London]"Country Life" [etc., 1914] url .
- Gardening. Chicago, the Gardening Co., 1892-1925. url p. 164.
- Geological magazine. London [etc.]Cambridge University Press. url p. 236.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 167.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 460, p. 461, p. 463, p. 564, p. 565, p. vii.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url , , , , , .
- Handbook of hardy trees, shrubs, and herbaceous plants. .. Based on the French work of Messrs. Decaisne and Naudin. ..entitled 'Manuel de l'amateur des jardins, ' and including the original woodcuts by Riocreux and Leblanc. Boston, Estes & Lauriat, 1873. url .
- Handbook of the British flora: a description of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to, or naturalized in, the British Isles. For the use of beginners and amateurs. By George Bentham. London: L. Reeve & Co., 1920. url p. 178.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url , , p. 106, p. 143, p. 169, p. 194, p. 195, p. 204, p. 263, p. 283, p. 8, p. 9.
- Hardy flowers. Descriptions of upwards of thirteen hundred of the most ornamental species, with directions for their arrangement, culture, etc.. .. By W. Robinson. London, Macmillan, 1878. url p. 74.
- Horticultural register, and gardener's magazine. Boston, G. D. Barrett [etc.] url p. 250, p. 314, p. 315.
- How to find and name wild flowers; being a new method of observing and identifying upwards of 1, 200 species of flowering plants in the British isles; with an introduction by F.E. hulme. .. illustrated by the author, and with four autochrome plates by H. Essenhigh Corke. .. London, Cassell[1906-1930] url p. 207.
- Illinois Natural History Survey bulletin. Champaign, Ill.: The Survey, 1987- url p. 293, p. 530.
- Illustrations of the British flora: a series of wood engravings, with dissections, of British plants. London, L. Reeve, 1919. url .
- In my vicarage garden and elsewhere, by Rev. Henry N. Ellacombe. .. London & New York, J. Lane, 1902. url .
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 313, p. 373, p. 493, p. 535.
- Introduction to physiological and systematical botany. London, Longman, 1819. url p. 393.
- Irish gardening. Dublin: Pub. Office, 1906-1922 url p. 50.
- J.M. Nickell's botanical ready reference: especially designed for druggists and physicians: containing all of the botanical drugs known up to the present time, giving their medical properties, and all of their botanical, common, pharmacopoea compiled by J. M. Nickell. Chicago: Murray & Nickell Mfg. Co., 1911. url p. 148.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 19 1881 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 108, p. 183, p. 273, p. 364, p. 364, p. 382, p. 51.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 662.
- Magazine of natural history and journal of zoology, botany, mineralogy, geology and meteorology. London: printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1829-1837. url p. 223, p. 564.
- Manual of British botany: containing the flowering plants and ferns arranged according to the natural orders / by the late Charles Cardale Babington. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1904. url p. 167.
- Marcellia. New York [etc.]Pergamon Press [etc.] url p. 79.
- Memoir and correspondence of the late Sir James Edward Smith, Ed. by Lady Smith. London, Longman, Rees, Orne Brown, Green and Longman, 1832. url p. 594.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 17 1918 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 343, p. 457, p. 486.
- Memorials, journal and botanical correspondence of Charles Cardale Babington. Cambridge, [Eng.]: Macmillan and Bowes, 1897. url p. 456.
- My garden in spring, by E. A. Bowles. New York: Dodge Pub. Co.,  url p. 191.
- My hundred Swiss flowers: with a short account of Swiss ferns / by Mary A. Pratten. London: W. H. Allen, 1887. url , p. 142, p. 59.
- New book of flowers / New York: Orange Judd & Company, c1866 url .
- New book of flowers. By Joseph Breck. New York, O. Judd & company[c1866] url p. 136, p. 136.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 8 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 366, p. 407, p. 436.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 2 1902 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 445, p. 474.
- Notes on the life history of British flowering plants, London, Macmillan and Co., Ltd., 1905. url .
- On the fauna and flora of the west of Scotland. Meeting at Glasgow, September, 1876. Glasgow, Blackie, 1876 url p. 80.
- Organography of plants, especially of the archegoniatae and spermaphyta, ed. by Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford, Clar. Press, 1900-5. url , p. 395, p. 644.
- Papers and proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. Hobart, Tasmania, The Society. url p. 29.
- Physiological plant anatomy, tr. by Montagu Drummond. London, MacMillan, 1914. url p. 156, p. 176.
- Plant names, scientific and popular, including in the case of each plant the correct botanical name in accordance with the reformed nomenclature, together with botanical and popular synonyms. .. Comp. from the most authentic sources by A. B. Lyons. Detroit, Nelson, Baker & Co., 1900. url p. 53.
- Poisonous plants of all countries. With the active, chemical principles which they contain; and the toxic symptoms produced by each group. Bristol [Eng.]J. Wright, 1905. url .
- Proceedings and transactions of the British Entomological and Natural History Society. London, British Entomological and Natural History Society. url p. 51.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url p. 250.
- Proceedings of the section of sciences / Koninklijke Akademie van Wetenschappen te Amsterdam. Amsterdam: Johannes Müller, [1899-1937]. url p. 809.
- Report and Transactions of the Glasgow Society of Field Naturalists Glasgow:Glasgow Society of Field Naturalists, 1873-77. url p. 13.
- Root-knot and its control. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1911. url p. 12.
- Science progress. London: Scientific Press, [1894-1898] url p. 122.
- Scottish gardens; being a representative selection of different types, old and new, by the Right Hon. Sir Herbert Maxwell. .. illustrated by Mary G. W. Wilson. London: E. Arnold, 1908. url .
- Spixiana. 12 1989 München: Zoologische Staatssammlung München, 1977- url p. 239.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 282.
- Sub-alpine plants: or, Flowers of the Swiss woods and meadows / by H. Stuart Thompson; with 33 coloured plates (168 figures) by George Flemwell. London: Dutton, 1912. url , p. 154, p. 155, p. 7.
- Sub-alpine plants: or, flowers of the Swiss woods and meadows / [London]: E.P. Dutton & Co., 1912. url , , .
- Summer flowers of the high Alps / by Somerville Hastings. London: Dent; 1910. url , , p. 81.
- Summer flowers of the high Alps. London: Dent; 1910. url p. 157, p. 82, p. 83.
- Textbook of theoretical botany, by R. C. McLean and W. R. Ivimey-Cook. London, Longmans, Green[1951- url p. 1853.
- The American gardener's magazine and register of useful discoveries and improvements in horticulture and rural affairs. Boston: Printed for Russell, Shattuck & Williams, & Hovey & Co., 1835- url p. 291, p. 314, p. 326.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 100, p. 100, p. 100, p. 100.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 170, p. 177, p. 234, p. 39, p. 42, p. 59.
- The British flora: comprising the phaenogamous or flowering plants, and the ferns / London, 1855. url p. 169.
- The English flower garden and home grounds: design and arrangement followed by a description of the plants, shrubs and trees for the open-air garden and their culture / by W. Robinson. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1921. url p. 356.
- The English rock-garden, by Reginald Farrer. London, Jack, 1919. url p. 138.
- The Entomologist's annual. London: John Van Voorst, 1855-1874. url p. 127.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 17, p. 57, p. 64.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , , , p. 10, p. 110, p. 116, p. 119, p. 126, p. 136, p. 137, p. 143, p. 152, p. 154, p. 192, p. 194, p. 220, p. 229, p. 23, p. 279, p. 321, p. 326, p. 328, p. 341, p. 342, p. 343, p. 349, p. 350, p. 360, p. 363, p. 363, p. 367, p. 369, p. 375, p. 380, p. 383, p. 40, p. 415, p. 418, p. 42, p. 422, p. 432, p. 448, p. 45, p. 48, p. 488, p. 508, p. 528, p. 528, p. 567, p. 606, p. 618, p. 63, p. 75, p. 84, p. 85, p. 99.
- The Gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orome, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 121.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticultural advertiser. Philadelphia [Pa.: s.n.1859-1875] url p. 278, p. 82.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. 1849 London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 408, p. 786, p. 998.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 108, p. 113, p. 114, p. 114, p. 119, p. 12, p. 12, p. 135, p. 176, p. 20, p. 20, p. 20, p. 21, p. 213, p. 219, p. 219, p. 22, p. 235, p. 238, p. 251, p. 26, p. 263, p. 27, p. 28, p. 288, p. 296, p. 300, p. 32, p. 32, p. 32, p. 331, p. 363, p. 368, p. 386, p. 40, p. 412, p. 412, p. 420, p. 424, p. 471, p. 506, p. 510, p. 514, p. 52, p. 52, p. 60, p. 620, p. 628, p. 64, p. 704, p. 726, p. 744, p. 771, p. 778, p. 78, p. 783, p. 811, p. 821, p. 827, p. 96, p. 96.
- The Horticulturist and journal of rural art and rural taste. Albany, N.Y.: Luthur Tucker, 1846/1847-1875 url p. 46.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 366, p. 367, p. 376, p. 382, p. 407, p. 436.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 215, p. 24, p. 241, p. 26, p. 35, p. 35, p. 42, p. 477, p. 5, p. 61, p. 63, p. 73, p. 73, p. 8, p. 83.
- The Journal of the Quekett Microscopical Club. [London: Quekett Microscopical Club, 1868]-1966. url p. 115.
- The London journal of botany: containing figures and descriptions of such plants as recommend themselves by their novelty, rarity, history, or uses: together with botanical notices and information and and occasional portraits and memoirs of eminent botanists. 5 1846 London: H. Baillie?re, 1842-1848. url p. 422.
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url p. 317, p. 392.
- The Magazine of natural history / conducted by Edward Charlesworth. [S.l.: s.n.], url p. 179.
- The Monthly bulletin of the State Commission of Horticulture. Sacramento, Calif.: The Commission, 1911-1919. url p. 752.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 106, p. 312, p. 452, p. 472, p. 6.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url , p. 111, p. 36, p. 515.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 282.
- The Wiltshire archaeological and natural history magazine / [Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society]. [Devizes, Eng.: The Society], 1854- url p. 131.
- The alpine flora / by Henry Correvon and Phillippe Robert; translated into English and enlarged, under the author's sanction, by E. W. Clayforth. London: Methuen,  url p. 113, p. 338, p. 430.
- The book of water gardening; New York, A. T. De La Mare printing and publishing co., ltd., 1907. url p. 146.
- The book of water gardening; giving in full detail all the practical information necessary to the selection, grouping and successful cultivation of aquatic and other plants required in the making of a water garden and its surroun by Peter Bisset. New York: A. T. De La Mare printing and Pub. Co., ltd., 1907. url p. 146.
- The botanic garden; consisting of highly finished representations of hardy ornamental flowering plants, cultivated in Great Britain; with their names, classes, orders, history, qualities, culture, and physiological obse By B. Maund... 1 London: Simpkin & Marshall, 1825- url , .
- The botanical looker-out among the wild flowers of England and Wales, at all seasons, and in the most interesting localities. By Edwin Lees. .. London, Hamilton, Adams & Co., 1851. url p. 151.
- The complete home landscape, by Arthur J. Jennings, in collaboration with Leonard H. Johnson. New York, A. T. De La Mare, 1924. url p. 156.
- The differentiation and specificity of starches in relation to genera, species, etc.; stereochemistry applied to protoplasmic processes and products, and as a strictly scientific basis for the classification of plants and animals Washington, D.C.Carnegie institution of Washington1913 url p. 2, p. 2, p. 238.
- The fertilisation of flowers. Translated and edited by D'Arcy W. Thompson, with a preface by Charles Darwin. LondonMacmillan1883 url p. 273, p. 274, p. 656.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire, including part of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, by G.F. Scott-Elliot. Assisted by J. M'Andrew [and others] DumfriesJ. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 75.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire: including part of the stewartry of Kirkcudbright / by G.F. Scott-Elliot; assisted by J. M'Andrew. .. [et al.] Dumfries: J. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 75.
- The flora of the Alps being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the Alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees / by Alfred W. Bennett. London: J.C. Nimmo, 1896. url , p. 124, p. xxii.
- The flora of the Alps: being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees / by Alfred W. Bennett. New York: Truslove & Comba, 1898. url p. 124.
- The flora of the Alps; being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the Alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees, by Alfred W. Bennett. .. London, Nimmo, 1900. url , , p. 124.
- The florist cultivator, or, Plain directions for the management of the principal florist flowers, shrubs, etc. etc.: adapted to the flower-garden, shrubbery, and greenhouse: with select lists of the finest roses, geraniums, carnations, pinks, auriculas, polyanthuses, tulips, dahlias, heartsease, &c &c.. .. / by Thomas Willats. London: J. Ridgeway, 1836. url p. 114.
- The flower-fields of Alpine Switzerland: an appreciation and a plea, painted and written by G. Flemwell; With twenty-five reproductions of water-colour drawings. New York, Dodd, Mead, 1912. url , , p. 120, p. 154.
- The garden month by month; describing the appearance, color, dates of bloom, height and cultivation of all desirable, hardy herbaceous perennials for the formal or wild garden with additional lists of aquatics, vines, ferns, et by Mabel Cabot Sedgwick assisted by Robert Cameron with over two hundred half-tone engravings from photographs of growing plants, and a chart in colors. New York, F.A. Stokes Co.,  url .
- The garden... London, 1872- url .
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 121.
- The hardy flower book, by E. H. Jenkins, ed. by F. W. Harvey. London, C. Scribner's sons url p. 138.
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url .
- The natural history of plants. London, L. Reeve & Co., 1871-88. url , .
- The natural history of plants. Translated by Marcus M. Hartog. LondonL. Reeve1871- url p. 148, p. 195.
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun, by F.W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. with about 2000 original woodcut illustrations and sixteen plates in colours. London, Blackie, 1896-1897. url p. 931.
- The natural history of the Tineina. .. By H. T. Stainton, assisted by Professor Zeller and J. W. Douglas. London, J. Van Voorst; [etc., etc.]1855-73. url p. 20.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 286.
- The origin of floral structures through insect and other agencies, by the George Henslow. London, K. Paul, Trench, Trübnerco, 1888. url p. 227.
- The origin of floral structures: through insect and other agencies. New York: Appleton, 1888. url .
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 3581.
- The weekly florists' review. Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co., 1897-1912. url p. 191.
- The wild garden, or the naturalization and natural grouping of hardy exotic plants with a chapter on the garden of British wild flowers. London, J. Murray, 1894. url .
- The wild garden: or, Our groves and gardens made beautiful by the naturalisation of hardy exotic plants; being one way onwards from the dark ages of flower gardening, with suggestions for the regeneration of the bare by W. Robinson; illustrated by Alfred Parsons. London: J. Murray; 1883. url p. 164.
- The wild garden; or, Our groves & shrubberies made beautiful. .. London, J. Murray, 1870. url .
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 292, p. 292, p. 344.
- Transactions of the Botanical Society. Edinburgh: Botanical Society of Edinburgh, 1841-1891. url p. 223, p. 228.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 137, p. 269.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Naturalists' Field Club. Edinburgh: The Club, 1886. url p. 255, p. 255.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 104, p. 15.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, The Society. url p. 101, p. 122, p. 316.
- Vegetable teratology, an account of the principal deviations from the usual construction of plants, by Maxwell T. Masters. .. With numerous illus. by E.M. Williams. London, Published for the Ray society by R. Hardwicke, 1869. url p. 368.
- Veröffentlichungen der Zoologischen Staatssammlung München. 2 1952 München: Die Staatssammlung, url p. 171.
- World Plant Conservation Bibliography WCMC, Royal Botanic Gardens url p. 636.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 16, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien, Conservatoire botanique national du Bassin parisien
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- GBIF-Spain, Botánica, Universidad de León: LEB-Cormo
- GBIF-Spain, Departamento de Biolog. Veg. II, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Complutense, Madrid: MAF
- GBIF-Spain, Herbario Universidad de Málaga: MGC-Cormófitos
- GBIF-Spain, Real Jardin Botanico
- , Vascular Plant Herbarium
- GBIF-Spain, Universidad de Oviedo. Departamento de Biología de Organismos y Sistemas: FCO
- Institute of Nature Conservation PAS, National System of Proetcted Areas
- Jyväskylä University Museum - The Section of Natural Sciences, Vascular plant collection of Jyvaskyla University Museum
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- Museum of Natural History, Wroclaw University, Museum of Natural History, Wroclaw University, Flora of the Stołowe Mts.
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plant Herbarium, Oslo
- Steiermärkisches Landesmuseum Joanneum - Herbarium GJO, Herbarium GJO
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Botany
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Lund Botanical Museum
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- University of Vienna, Institute for Botany - Herbarium WU, Herbarium WU
- inatura - Erlebnis Naturschau Dornbirn, inatura - Erlebnis Naturschau Dornbirn
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2671416
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-507571
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:838340-1
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 838339-1
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 451320