- This milkweed is a favorite of many interesting insects. Monarch butterflies, Milkweed bugs, Milkweed beetles, Milkweed moths, and aphids live on, eat, and lay their eggs on this plant. The sticky white juice of milkweeds contain a poison which these insects incorporate into their bodies making them poisonous when they eat the leaves. Most milkweed-eating insects are brightly colored (red and black or orange and black) as a warning to potential predators . The sap also contains latex which gums up the mouths of certain insects like soldier beetles, it is common to see them hanging dead stuck to a leaf vein!
- Milkweeds are poisonous to cattle, goats, and sheep. The poisons contained in the stems, leaves, and seedpods are desglucosyrioside and syrioside.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Broadleaf Milkweed, Common Milkweed, Kansas Milkweed, Silkweed, Silky Swallowwort, Virginia-Silk
Common Names in French:
Herbe à La Ouate
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Spanish:
, or vines
, rarely subshrubs
or herbs, with latex or rarely watery juice. Leaves simple
, opposite, rarely whorled
or alternate, pinnately veined; stipules absent or rarely present. Inflorescences cymose
, with bracteoles. Flowers bisexual
, 5- [or 4]-merous, actinomorphic
. Calyx 5- or rarely 4-partite, quincuncial, basal glands
usually present. Corolla 5- or rarely 4-lobed, salverform
, or rarely rotate, lobes
overlapping to right
or left, rarely valvate
. Stamens 5 or rarely 4; filaments
or connivent into a cone adherent
to pistil head
, dehiscing longitudinally, base
, cordate, sagittate, or prolonged into an empty spur; pollen granular
; disc ringlike or cup-shaped, 2-5-lobed, or absent. Ovaries superior, rarely half-inferior, connate
, 1- or 2-locular; ovules (1 or) 2-numerous per locule. Style 1; pistil head capitate, conical
, or lampshade-shaped, base stigmatic, apex 2-cleft and not stigmatic
. Fruit a berry, drupe, capsule, or follicle. Seeds with or without coma; endosperm thick and often horny
, scanty, sometimes absent; embryo straight or nearly so, cotyledons often large, radicle terete
About 155 genera and 2000 species distributed primarily in the tropics and subtropics, poorly represented in the temperate regions . Of the 44 genera and 145 species present in China, one genus and 38 species are endemic, and nearly 95% of the taxa grow in the southern and southwestern portions of the country.
Fruit type is highly diversified in the family , and it is diagnostic of many genera. Genera 1-4 produce 1, 2-celled berries from a flower; genus 5 produces 2, 1-celled berries from a flower; 6 and 7 produce mostly fleshy follicles containing deeply indented seeds with ruminate endosperm; 8 has follicles and winged seeds; 9 produces follicles and seeds with 2 comas; 10-12 have follicles with globose seeds; 13-18 have drupes mostly with fleshy mesocarp; 19 has samaroid fruit; 20 has spiny capsules with seeds winged all around; and 21-44 have free or fused follicles and comose seeds. Double flowers are known only from cultivated forms of Nerium oleander, Tabernaemontana divaricata, and Wrightia religiosa.
Plants of the Apocynaceae are often poisonous and are rich in alkaloids or glycosides, especially in the seeds and latex. Some species are valuable sources of medicine, insecticides , fibers, and rubber.
frequently woody. Leaves opposite or whorled
, short petiolate
. Cymes terminal
, umbel-like, many flowered. Calyx glands
5-10. Corolla rotate, deeply parted
or rarely overlapping to right
lobes 5, inserted
on gynostegium, erect, apex hooded
, with an incurved
, ligular-hornlike adaxial
. Stamens inserted at base of corolla tube
into a tube; anther
appendages incurved; pollinia 2 per pollinarium
, pendulous. Stigma head
. Follicles fusiform
, apex acuminate. Seeds flat, with a long coma.
About 120 species: America, some naturalized in Old World; one species in China.
Flowers: Bloom Period: June. • Flower Color: mauve , rose
Size: 4-6' tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,473 meters (0 to 8,114 feet).
Culture: Space 36-48" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 5.1 • Maximum pH: 7.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 4a, 4b, 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Gentiananae () - Thorne Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Asclepias intermedia Vail • Asclepias kansana Vail • Asclepias syriaca var. kansana (Vail) Palmer and Steyermark
Publishing author : L. Publication : Sp. Pl., ed. 2. 1: 214 1762 [Sep 1762]
Members of the genus Asclepias
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 110 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus. Here are just 100 of them:
A. albicans (Wax Milkweed) · A. amplexicaulis (Blunt-Leaf Milkweed) · A. angustifolia (Arizona Milkweed) · A. arenaria (Sand Milkweed) · A. asperula (Antelope Horns) · A. asperula capricornu (Antelope Horns) · A. asperula subsp. capricornu (Antelope Horns) · A. brevipes (Asclepias) · A. californica (California Milkweed) · A. californica greenei (Bract Milkweed) · A. californica var. callifolia (California Milkweed) · A. californica subsp. greenei (Greene's Milkweed) · A. cancellata (Asclepias) · A. cinerea (Carolina Milkweed) · A. connivens (Large-Flower Milkweed) · A. cordifolia (Heart-Leaf Milkweed) · A. cryptoceras (Davis Milkweed) · A. cryptoceras cryptoceras (Humboldt County Milkweed) · A. cryptoceras davisii (Humboldt Milkweed) · A. cryptoceras subsp. davisii (Davis' Milkweed) · A. curassavica (Bloodflower) · A. curassavica 'Silky Deep Red' (Bloodflower) · A. curassavica 'Silky Formula Mix' (Bloodflower) · A. curassavica 'Silky Gold' (Bloodflower) · A. curassavica 'Silky Scarlet' (Bloodflower) · A. curtissii (Curtiss Milkweed) · A. cutleri (Cutler Milkweed) · A. davisii davisii (Davis' Milkweed) · A. emoryi (Emory's Milkweed) · A. engelmanniana (Engelmann's Milkweed) · A. eriocarpa (Indian Milkweed) · A. erosa (Desert Milkweed) · A. exaltata (Poke Milkweed) · A. fascicularis (Mexican Whorled Milkweed) · A. feayi (Florida Milkweed) · A. fruticosa (Swan Plant Milkweed) · A. glaucescens (Nodding Milkweed) · A. hallii (Hall Milkweed) · A. hirtella (Green Milkweed) · A. humistrata (Pine-Woods Milkweed) · A. hypoleuca (Mahogany Milkweed) · A. incarnata (Butterfly Weed) · A. incarnata incarnata (Purple Milkweed) · A. incarnata pulchra (Rose Milkweed) · A. incarnata 'Cinderella' (Swamp Milkweed) · A. incarnata 'Ice Ballet' (Swamp Milkweed) · A. incarnata subsp. pulchra (Swamp Milkweed) · A. incarnata 'Soulmate' (Swamp Milkweed) · A. involucrata (Dwarf Milkweed) · A. labriformis (Jones Milkweed) · A. lanceolata (Fewflower Milkweed) · A. lanuginosa (Side-Cluster Milkweed) · A. latifolia (Broad-Leaf Milkweed) · A. lemmonii (Bigleaf Milkweed) · A. linaria (Mexican Milkweed) · A. linearis (Slim Milkweed) · A. longifolia (Long-Leaf Milkweed) · A. macrotis (Long-Hood Milkweed) · A. meadii (Mead's Milkweed) · A. michauxii (Michaux Milkweed) · A. nivea (Caribbean Milkweed) · A. nivea var. curassavica (Butterfly Flower) · A. nummularia (Tufted Milkweed) · A. nyctaginifolia (Mojave Milkweed) · A. obovata (Obovate Milkweed) · A. oenotheroides (Zizotes Milkweed) · A. ovalifolia (Dwarf Milkweed) · A. pedicellata (Savannah Milkweed) · A. perennis (Aquatic Milkweed) · A. physocarpa (Balloon Plant) · A. prostrata (Prostrate Milkweed) · A. pumila (Low Milkweed) · A. purpurascens (Purple Milkweed) · A. quadrifolia (Fourleaf Milkweed) · A. quinquedentata (Slim-Pod Milkweed) · A. racemosa (Talayote) · A. rubra (Red Milkweed) · A. rusbyi (Rusby's Milkweed) · A. scaposa (Bear Mountain Milkweed) · A. solanoana (Serpentine Milkweed) · A. speciosa (Greek Milkweed) · A. sperryi (Sperry's Milkweed) · A. stenophylla (Narrow-Leaved Milkweed) · A. subulata (Desert Milkweed) · A. subverticillata (Bedstraw Milkweed) · A. sullivantii (Prairie Milkweed) · A. syriaca (Broadleaf Milkweed) · A. texana (Texas Milkweed) · A. tomentosa (Tuba Milkweed) · A. tuberosa (Butterfly Milkweed) · A. tuberosa interior (Butterfly Milkweed) · A. tuberosa rolfsii (Butterfly Milkweed) · A. tuberosa tuberosa (Butterfly Milkweed) · A. tuberosa var. clay (Butterfly Weed) · A. tuberosa 'Hello Yellow' (Hellow Yellow Butterfly Weed) · A. tuberosa subsp. interior (Butterfly Milkweed) · A. tuberosa subsp. rolfsii (Rolfs' Milkweed) · A. tuberosa subsp. tuberosa (Butterfly Milkweed) · A. uncialis (Greene Milkweed) · A. uncialis uncialis (Wheel Milkweed)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants / Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1875. url .
- A biological survey of the sand dune region on the south shore of Saginaw Bay, Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Lansing, Mich.: Wynkoop, Hallenbeck, Crawford co., state printers, 1911. url p. 108, p. 183, p. 209, p. 211, p. 71.
- A botanical survey of the Sugar Grove region / by Robert F. Griggs. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 330.
- A contribution to the knowledge of the flora of southeastern Minnesota. [Boston, Heliotype Print. Co.]1900. url p. 362, p. 401.
- A descriptive catalogue of useful fiber plants of the world: including the structural and economic classifications of fibers / by Charles Richards Dodge. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1897. url p. 241, p. 70.
- A first report on the relations between climates and crops. By Cleveland Abbe. Washington [D.C.]: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url p. 200.
- A guide to the wild flowers east of the Mississippi and north of Virginia / by Norman Taylor. New York: Greenberg, 1928. url p. 229.
- A manual of bee husbandry. Trenton, N. J., 1922. url .
- A manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants. By John Hutton Balfour. London: J. J. Griffin [etc.] 1851. url p. 4.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url , , .
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L. H. Pammel. 1911 Cedar Rapids, Ia.: The Torch Press, 1910-11. url plate , fig. 400, p. 697.
- A manual of weeds, with descriptions of all the most pernicious and troublesome plants in the United States and Canada, New York, The Macmillan company, 1914. url p. 317, p. 318.
- A manual of weeds: with descriptions of all the most pernicious and troublesome plants in the United States and Canada, their habits of growth and distribution, with methods of control / New York: Macmillan, 1919, c1914. url .
- A provisional list of the parasitic fungi of Wisconsin. Madison, 1914 url p. 924.
- A review of the identifications of the species described in Blanco's Flora de Filipinas, Manila, Bureau of public printing, 1905. url p. 60.
- A second edition of Webber's "Appendix to the catalogue of the flora of Nebraska" / with a supplementary list of recently reported species by Charles E. Bessey. Lincoln, Neb.: [University of Nebraska?, 1892] url p. 14.
- A student's text-book of botany, by Sydney H. Vines. With 483 illustrations. London, Macmillan & co., 1896. url .
- A text-book of botany and pharmacognosy: intended for the use of students of pharmacy, as a reference book for pharmacists, and a handbook for food and drug analysts / by Henry Kraemer. Philadelphia & London: J. B. Lippincott company[c1910] url p. 411.
- A textbook of botany for colleges and universities. .. Cincinnati [etc]American book company[1910-11] url .
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 115.
- American bee journal. Hamilton, Ill., etc., Dadant & Sons url p. 346.
- American entomology: a description of the insects of North American, with illustrations drawn and colored after nature / by Thomas Say; edited by John L. LeConte; with a memoir of the author by George Ord. 1 Boston: Estes & Lauriat, [1859?] url p. 121, p. 18.
- American forestry. Washington, D.C.: American Forestry Association, 1910-1923. url p. 23.
- American forests. Washington [etc.]American Forestry Association [etc.] url p. 23, p. 24.
- American honey plants; together with those which are of special value to the beekeeper as sources of pollen. Hamilton, Ill., American Bee Journal, 1920. url p. 151.
- American medicinal plants; an illustrated and descriptive guide to the American plants used as homopathic remedies: their history, preparation, chemistry and physiological effects. By Charles F. Millspaugh. 1887 New York, Boericke & Tafel, c1887. url page 134- 1.
- American medicinal plants;: an illustrated and descriptive guide to the American plants used as homopathic remedies: their history, preparation, chemistry, and physiological effects. / By Charles F. Millspaugh, . ..; Illustrated by the author. New York; Boericke & Tafel., c1887. url .
- An ecological study of prairie and forest invertebrates / by Charles C. Adams. Urbana, Ill.: Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History, 1915. url , p. 112, p. 164, p. 171, p. 173, p. 178, p. 180, p. 190, p. 191.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 341.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 100.
- An illustrated flora of the Pacific States: Washington, Oregon, and California. Stanford University, Stanford University Press, 1923- url p. 374.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 28, p. 30.
- An illustrated guide to the flowering plants of the middle Atlantic and New England states (excepting the grasses and sedges) the descriptive text written in familiar language, by George T. Stevens. .. with more than 1800 illustrations from drawings by the author. New York, Dodd, Mead and company, 1910. url p. 497.
- An introduction to entomology: or, Elements of the natural history of insects. .. / by William Kirby and William Spence. London: Longmans, Green, 1865. url p. 167.
- An introduction to the study of botany, including a treatise on vegetable physiology, and descriptions of the most common plants in the middle and northern states. By J.L. Comstock. .. New York, Pratt, Woodford, Farmer & Brace, 1856 [c1854] url p. 336.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 333, p. 346, p. 418.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 34, p. 38.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 574, p. 575.
- Annual record of science and industry. New York: Harper & Brothers, 1872- url p. 630.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 12, p. 20, p. 30.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 134.
- Annual report of the Bureau of American Ethnology to the Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: U. S. Govt. Print. Off., 1897- url , p. 148, p. 149, p. 307, p. 360, p. 50, p. 99.
- Annual report of the Director to the Board of Trustees for the year. .. / Field Museum of Natural History Chicago, U.S.A.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1907-1943. url p. 405.
- Annual report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1916-1921. url p. 269.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 651.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 125, p. 259, p. 259, p. 26, p. 42, p. 51, p. 56, p. 69.
- Annual report of the Quebec Society for the Protection of Plants. Quebec: The Society, 1921-1935. url .
- Applied and economic botany for students in technical and agricultural schools, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, for chemists, food analysts and for the those engaged in the morphological and physiological study of plants. New York, Wiley url p. 259.
- Applied and economic botany, especially adapted for the use of students in technical schools, agricultural, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, and also as a book of reference for chemists, food analysts and students engaged in by Henry Kraemer. .. illustrated with 424 plates, comprising about 2000 figures. Philadelphia, The author[c1914] url p. 259.
- Automimicry and the palatability spectrum / Juli M. Bechard. 1996. url .
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 29 - 41 1957 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 12, p. 25, p. 33, p. 34, p. 38, p. 53.
- Bee culture in Maine, Waterville, Sentinel publishing company, 1918 url .
- Boston park rangers nature book / [s.n.], [1997?] url p. 16.
- Botanical survey of Nebraska. Conducted by the Botanical Seminar. I-VII. Lincoln, Neb., 1892-1904. url , , , , , , , .
- Botanisk tidsskrift / utgivet af den Botaniske forening i København. København: G.E.C. Gads Forlag, 1866-1981. url .
- Botany for agricultural students / New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1919. url .
- Botany for agricultural students, by John N. Martin. New York, John Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc., etc.]1919. url p. 83, p. 83.
- Botany for agricultural students. New York, Wiley, 1919. url p. 83.
- Botany with agricultural applications. New York, Wiley, 1920. url p. 83.
- Botany, developmental and descriptive. Philadelphia, Lea, 1922. url p. 175, p. 212.
- Botany, with agricultural applications, by John N. Martin. New York, John Wiley & sons, inc.; [etc.]1920. url p. 83.
- British bee journal & bee-keepers adviser. London. url p. 282, p. 331.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. 7 1912 [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 265, p. 318, p. 321, p. 63, p. 76, p. 832, p. 860.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden record. 18 1929 [Brooklyn]: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1912-44. url p. 2, p. 3.
- Budd's flora of the Canadian Prairie Provinces / [Ottawa]: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1987. url p. 597.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 134.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 106, p. 110, p. 116, p. 124, p. 141, p. 58.
- Bulletin / Field Museum of Natural History. [Chicago]: The Museum, 1966-1972. url p. 3.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 209, p. 330.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 110, p. 124, p. 130, p. 198, p. 22, p. 223, p. 861.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1913. url p. 13, p. 47, p. 69.
- Bulletin from the laboratories of natural history of the State University of Iowa. Iowa City, Iowa: The University, 1888-. url p. 175, p. 39.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1951-1992. url p. 372.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url , p. 110, p. 112, p. 112, p. 112, p. 112, p. 128, p. 163, p. 163, p. 164, p. 164, p. 171, p. 171, p. 173, p. 173, p. 173, p. 173, p. 180, p. 180, p. 180, p. 186, p. 186, p. 189, p. 189, p. 189, p. 190, p. 190, p. 28, p. 288, p. 314, p. 314, p. 338, p. 338, p. 342, p. 342, p. 5.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 11, p. 225.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1971- url p. 22.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 1904 31 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url plate 17, p. 190, p. 358, p. 37, p. 39, p. 418, p. 458, p. 459, p. 460, p. 73, p. 97.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 23.
- Bulletin of the Wisconsin Natural History Society. Milwaukee, The Society, [1900-1920] url p. 153.
- C.U.C.P. alumni journal. New York: Alumni Association, New York College of Pharmacy, Columbia University, 1916-1918. url p. 154, p. 155, p. 156, p. 157.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url , p. 10, p. 131, p. 16, p. 24, p. 25, p. 26, p. 28, p. 54, p. 57, p. 58, p. 9.
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants, arranged according to the phyletic classification; with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Univ Columbus, The Ohio State University, 1914. url .
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants: arranged according to the phyletic classification: with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Uni by John H. Schaffner. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 209.
- Catalog of hymenoptera in America north of Mexico / prepared cooperatively by specialists on the various groups of Hymenoptera under the direction of Karl V. Krombein. .. [et al.]. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1979- url p. 1750, p. 1752, p. 2007, p. 2134, p. 2140, p. 2141.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 203, p. 693.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 203, p. 693.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 322.
- Catalogue of the library of the Linnean Society of London. London: The Society, 1896. url p. 237.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 314.
- Checklist of plants of the Ottawa District. Ottawa, 1958. url p. 69.
- Chemical interactions among milkweed plants (asclepiadaceae) and lepidopteran herbivores / by James A. Cohen. 1983. url p. 145, p. 17, p. 18, p. 30, p. 86.
- Circle west vegetation baseline study: final report / by Richard Prodgers. Helena: Energy Division, Montana Dept. of Natural Resources and Conservation,  url p. 106.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory and the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: [s.n., url , , .
- Contributions from the Hull Botanical Laboratory. [Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1895- url p. 50.
- Contributions from the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1899- url , p. 458, p. 459, p. 460.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 3 1892-1896 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 169, p. 232.
- Contributions to the botany of Vermont. Burlington, Vt.: Botanical Dept., University of Vermont, 1898-1911. url p. 73.
- Cooperative economic insect report. Hyattsville, MD. [etc.]Plant Protection and Quarantine Programs Animal and Plant Health Service. url p. 13, p. 15.
- Cryptogamic plants of the USSR. (Flora sporovykh rastenii SSSR) Translated from Russian. Jerusalem[Published for the National Science Foundation, Washington, D.C. by the Israel Program for Scientific Translations, 19 - url p. 352.
- Cultures of Uredineae 1899-1921. n.p., n.d. url p. 188, p. 24, p. 259, p. 265, p. 28, p. 306.
- Diseases of cattle, sheep, goats and swine / by G. Moussu and Jno. A. W. Dollar. Chicago: American Veterinary Pub.Co., 1920. url p. 252.
- Ecology, behavior, and adult anatomy of the Albida Group of the genus Epicauta (Coleoptera, Meloidae) Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1969. url p. 29, p. 38.
- Entomologica Americana. [Lawrence, Kan., etc.]New York Entomological Society [etc.] url p. 53, p. 53.
- Entomological correspondence of Thaddeus William Harris, M. D.; ed. by Samuel H. Scudder. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869. url p. 275, p. 288.
- Entomological news, and proceedings of the Entomological Section of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia[Entomological Rooms of the Academy of Natural Sciences] url p. 64, p. 64.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url , , p. 102, p. 11, p. 114, p. 128, p. 129, p. 157, p. 158, p. 159, p. 162, p. 173, p. 178, p. 202, p. 207, p. 209, p. 270, p. 29.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 12, p. 16, p. 21, p. 35, p. 36, p. 57, p. 58, p. 7, p. 70, p. 81, p. 95.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 335, p. 629, p. 727, p. 828.
- Farm weeds of Canada / by George H. Clark and James Fletcher; with illustrations by Norman Criddle. Ottawa: Dept. of Agriculture, 1923 url p. 119.
- Farm weeds of Canada, by George H. Clark and James Fletcher. With illustrations by Norman Criddle. Published by direction of the Hon. Sydney A. Fisher, Minister of Agriculture, Ottawa, 1909. Ottawa: Govt. Print. Bureau,  url p. 119.
- Farmer's cyclopedia: a compilation of such bulletins and reports as are indispensable to the practical farmer. Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1914. url p. 401.
- Ferns and flowering plants of South Dakota / D.A. Saunders. Brookings: U.S. Experiment Station, South Dakota: 1899. url p. 183.
- Field book of American wild flowers; being a short description of their character and habits, a concise definition of their colors, and incidental references to the insects which assist in their fertilization, by F. Schuyler Mathews. 1912 New York, Putnam,  url p. 572.
- Fieldbook of Illinois wild flowers; six hundred fifty of the more common flowering plants in the state. Urbana, 1936. url p. 244, p. 244.
- Flora Vitiensis nova: a new Flora of Fiji (spermatophytes only) / Albert C. Smith. Lawaii, Hawaii: Pacific Tropical Botanical Garden, 1979- url p. 109.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 296.
- Flora of Burlington and vicinity; a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation, by Nellie F. Flynn. Burlington, Free Press Printing Co., 1911. url p. 73, p. 73.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 766, p. 769, p. 772.
- Flora of Lancaster County: being descriptions of the seed-plants growing naturally in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania / by John Kunkel Small and Joel Jackson Carter. New York: The authors, 1913. url p. 229.
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb.[c1912] url , .
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the ferns, conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb., 1923 url p. 117, p. 118.
- Flora of New Bedford and the shores of Buzzards Bay, with a procession of the flowers. New Bedford [Mass.]E. Anthony, 1911. url p. 56.
- Flora of Vermont. List of ferns and seed plants growing without cultivation. Prepared by Vermont Botanical Club. Burlington, Vt., Free Press Print. Co., 1915. url p. 236.
- Flora of West Virginia, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh and Lawrence William Nuttall. 1 1896 Chicago, 1896. url p. 223, p. 236.
- Flora of Winneshiek County. Des Moines: 1906. url , .
- Flora of the District of Columbia and vicinity. By A.S. Hitchcock and Paul C. Standley, with the assistance of the botanists of Washington. WashingtonGovt. print. off.1919 url p. 232.
- Flora of the Rocky Mountains and adjacent plains, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and neighboring parts of Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, and British Columbia / by P.A. Rydberg. New York: The author, 1922. url p. 671.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 497.
- Flowering phenology and density-dependent pollination success in Cephaelis elata (Rubiaceae) / by William Huntoon Busby. 1987. url p. 85.
- Flowers and insects; lists of visitors of four hundred and fifty-three flowers, by Charles Robertson. Carlinville, Ill., n.p.1928. url p. 33.
- Forest leaves. Philadelphia: Pennsylvania Forestry Association, 1886-1950. url .
- Fundamentals of botany / by C. Stuart Gager. Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Son & Co., c1916. url p. 475.
- Fundamentals of botany, by C. Stuart Gager. With 435 illustrations. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston, 1916. url p. 475, p. 478.
- Gleanings from French gardens: comprising an account of such features of French horticulture as are most worthy of adoption in British gardens. London, F. Warne;1868. url .
- Gleanings from French gardens; comprising an account of such features of French horticulture as are most worthy of adoption in British gardens. By W. Robinson. London: F. Warne and co.;1868. url p. 62.
- Gleanings in bee culture. Medina, Ohio, A. I. Root Co. url .
- Gray's new manual of botany. A handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, New York, American Book Co.[c1908] url .
- Gray's new manual of botany: a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada / Asa Gray; rearranged and extensively revised by Benjamin Lincoln Robinson and Merritt Lyndon Fernald. New York: American Book Company, c1908. url p. 888.
- Greek and Latin in biological nomenclature [by] Frederic E. Clements. Lincoln: J. North Printer, 1902? url p. 83.
- Guide to the Economic Museum of the New York Botanical Garden. New York, 1921. url p. 225.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 139.
- Handbook of experiment station work. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1893. url p. 370.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 131, p. 92, p. 93.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url .
- Handbook of hardy herbaceous and alpine flowers. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1871. url p. 190.
- Hardy flowers. Descriptions of upwards of thirteen hundred of the most ornamental species, with directions for their arrangement, culture, etc.. .. By W. Robinson. London, Macmillan, 1878. url p. 67.
- Harper's guide to wild flowers, by Mrs. Caroline A. Creevey. New York, Harper, 1912. url p. 473.
- Heteroptera, or true bugs of eastern North America, with especial reference to the faunas of Indiana and Florida, by W.S. Blatchley. .. Indianapolis, The Nature publishing company, 1926. url p. 340, p. 344.
- How plants are trained to work for man / by Luther Burbank; prefatory note by David Starr Jordan. New York: Collier, c1921- url p. 339, p. 339.
- Illinois Natural History Survey bulletin. Champaign, Ill.: The Survey, 1987- url p. 292.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 158, p. 176.
- Illinois agronomy handbook, 1995-1996. Urbana, Ill.: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Agriculture, Cooperative Extension Service,  url p. 158.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url p. 52, p. 68.
- Illinois wild flowers, by John Voss and Virginia S. Eifert. Springfield,  url p. 178.
- Illustrations of the natural orders of plants with groups and descriptions. Reduced from the original folio ed. London: Sampson Low, Son, and Marston, 1868. url .
- International catalogue of scientific literature. London: Published for the International Council by the Royal Society of London, 1902-1919. url p. 355, p. 456.
- Introduction to botany, Boston, Ginn and company[c1914] url , .
- Introduction to botany, by Joseph Y. Bergen...and Otis W. Caldwell... Boston, Ginn and company, [c1914] url p. 148.
- Introduction to botany. Boston, Ginn url p. 148.
- Journal kept by David Douglas during his travels in North America 1823-1827, together with a particular description of thirty-three species of American oaks and eighteen species of Pinus, with appendices containing a list of the plants introduced by Douglas and an account of h London, W. Wesley & Son, 1914. url , p. 7.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 47 1909 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 42.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 24 2004 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 102.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 125, p. 42, p. 59.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 3 1907 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url , p. 126, p. 132, p. 29.
- Journal of the New York Entomological Society. Lawrence, Kan.: Allen Press [etc.] url p. 123, p. 128, p. 208.
- Key to the Rocky Mountain flora. Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and parts of Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, and British Columbia. New York, [c1919] url .
- Lake Maxinkuckee. A physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. [Indianapolis]Dept. of Conservation, State of Indiana [Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 37, p. 394.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. a physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. [Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 37.
- Lake Maxinkuckee: a physical and biological survey / by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. Indianapolis: Dept. of Conservation, 1920. url p. 37, p. 394.
- Langstroth on the hive & honey bee, rev. by Dadant. Hamilton, Ill., Dadant, 1919. url p. 414, p. 559.
- Langstroth on the hive & honey-bee. Hamilton, Ill., Dadant[c1888] 1919. url .
- Langstroth on the hive and honey bee. Hamilton, Ill., Dadant[c1888] 1913. url , .
- Langstroth on the hive and honey-bee. Hamilton, Ill.: Dadant, 1909. url .
- Leaf-mining insects / by James G. Needham, Stuart W. Frost, Beatrice H. Tothill. Baltimore: The Williams & Wilkins company, [c1928] url p. 304.
- Loudon's encyclopaedia of plants; comprising the specific character, description, culture, history, application in the arts, and every other desirable particular respecting all the plants indigenous to, cultivated in, or introduced in Edited by Mrs. Loudon, assisted by George Don and David Wooster. London, Longmans, Green, 1866. url p. 197.
- Manual for establishing vegetation on landfills in Ontario / prepared for Ontario Ministry of the Environment; prepared by Gartner Lee Limited. -- [Markham, ON?]: Gartner Lee Ltd., 1990. url .
- Meehan's monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany, and kindred subjects. Phila., PA: T. Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url .
- Minnesota botanical studies. Minneapolis, Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. url p. 362, p. 362, p. 401, p. 401, p. 558, p. 558, p. 589, p. 589.
- Miscellaneous papers on the botany of Michigan, by C. K. Dodge. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Published as a part of the Annual report of the Board of Geological Survey for 1920. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford, State Printers, 1921. url p. 114, p. 209, p. 61.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1965 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 48, p. 60.
- Morphological studies of the genus Cercospora, Urbana, Ill., 1930 url p. 52, p. 68.
- Morphology of angiosperms (Morphology of spermatophytes, Part II) by John Merle Coulter and Charles James [!] Chamberlain. New York, Appleton & Co., 1903. url p. 123.
- Morphology of angiosperms: (Morphology of spermatophytes, Part II) / by John Merle Coulter and Charles Joseph Chamberlain. New York: D. Appleton, 1909, c1903. url p. 123.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 12, p. 20, p. 30.
- Mycotrophy in plants; lectures on the biology of mycorrhizae and related structures. Waltham, Mass., Chronica Botanica Co., 1950. url p. 34.
- Nantucket wild flowers / by Alice O. Albertson; illustrated by Anne Hinchman. New York and London: G. P. Putnam's sons, 1921. url , p. 312, p. 312, p. 427.
- National Arboretum contribution. Washington, D.C.: The Arboretum: 1953- url p. 35.
- New England goat news. Reading, Massachusetts Council of Milk Goat Breeders' Association. url p. 7.
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 114, p. 117, p. 14.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 9 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 418.
- Nomenclature of plants; a text for the application by the case method of the International code of botanical nomenclature. New York, Ronald Press Co. url p. 133.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 188.
- Occasional papers of the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, Boston Society of Natural History, 1869-1941. url p. 288.
- Occasional papers of the Museum of Natural History, the University of Kansas. 1984 Lawrence, Kan.: The University, 1971-1994. url p. 36.
- On buds and stipules, by the Right Hon. Sir John Lubbock. .. With 4 coloured plates and 340 figures in the text. London: K. Paul, Trench, Trübner & Co., ltd., 1899. url p. 58.
- On buds and stipules. LondonK. Paul, Trench, Trübner1899 url p. 58.
- Outlines of classification and special morphology of plants, by K. Goebel. A new ed. of Sachs' Text-book of botany, book II, authorized English translation by Henry E. F. Garnsey; rev. by Isaac Bayley Balfour. With 407 woodcuts. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1887. url p. 430, p. 451, p. 493, p. 493.
- Phytogeography of Nebraska. 1. General survey by Roscoe Pound and Frederic E. Clements. Lincoln, Neb.Published by the Seminar1900 url p. 275, p. 419, p. 90.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url , p. 217, p. 31, p. 325, p. 358, p. 42, p. 421, p. 49, p. 502, p. 54, p. 62, p. 64, p. 67, p. 68, p. 68, p. 74, p. 8, p. 90.
- Plant ecology, by W. B. McDougall. Philadelphia, Lea & Febiger url p. 223.
- Poisonous plants of Canada / [Ottawa]: Agriculture Canada, 1990. url p. 16, p. 84.
- Preliminary catalogue of plants poisonous to stock. By V.K. Chesnut. .. Washington, 1898? url p. 414, p. 419.
- Principles of scientific botany, or, Botany as an inductive science by Dr. J.M. Schleiden. .. translated by Edwin Lankester. .. London: Printed for Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1849 url p. 381.
- Problems and methods of research in protozoology... edited by Robert Hegner...and Justin Andrews... New York, The Macmillan company, 1930. url p. 265, p. 270.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 118.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 144, p. 145, p. 148, p. 149, p. 188, p. 228, p. 236, p. 248, p. 267, p. 269, p. 466, p. 705, p. 711, p. 956.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 151, p. 180, p. 180, p. 181, p. 181, p. 190, p. 190, p. 197, p. 197, p. 243, p. 264, p. 4, p. 42.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 6 1883 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 445.
- Proceedings of the section of sciences / Koninklijke Akademie van Wetenschappen te Amsterdam. Amsterdam: Johannes Müller, [1899-1937]. url p. 545.
- Protozoology: a manual for medical men, veterinarians and zoologists / by C. M. Wenyon. New York: W. Wood, 1926. url p. 391.
- Psyche. Cambridge, Mass.: Cambridge Entomological Club url p. 138, p. 138, p. 172, p. 34, p. 34.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago.: Field Columbian Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 236.
- Report of the Commissioner of Agriculture. .. Washington: G.P.O., 1863-1889. url p. 531.
- Report of the Commissioner of Patents for the year 1859: agriculture. Washington, D.C.: George Bowman, printer, 1860. url p. 388.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904-1916. url p. 136, p. 185.
- Report of the State Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1898-1925. url , , , , , p. 12, p. 134, p. 20, p. 30.
- Report of the State Entomologist on the noxious and beneficial insects of the state of Illinois. [Springfield, Ill.?]: State Entomologist, [1876?]-1916. url p. 83.
- Reports of the Survey. Botanical series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892- url p. 362, p. 401, p. 589, p. 699, p. 729.
- Resources of the southern fields and forests, medical, economical, and agricultural; Charleston, Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1869. url p. 95.
- Rock River area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, Natural History Survey Division, in conjunction with State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, IL: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1996- url p. 124, p. 72, p. 75, p. 85, p. 86.
- Roosevelt wild life bulletin. .. of the Roosevelt Life Forest Experiment Station of the New York College of Forestry at Syracuse University. Syracuse, N.Y.: The University, c1922- url p. 270.
- Rubber and resin content of native and introduced plants of Canada. Ottawa, Canada Dept. of Agriculture[19--?] url .
- Rubber-content of North American plants by Harvey M. Hall and Frances L. Long. WashingtonCarnegie Institution of Washington1921 url p. 10, p. 16, p. 24, p. 25, p. 26, p. 28, p. 3, p. 54, p. 56, p. 57, p. 58, p. 9.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 66, p. 69, p. 786.
- Scientific memoirs, selected from the transactions of foreign academies of science, and from foreign journals. Natural history. Ed. by Arthur Henfrey and Thomas Henry Huxley. London, Taylor and Francis, 1853. url p. 117.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 125, p. 130, p. 26, p. 51.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 285.
- Station bulletin. Durham, N.H.: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of New Hampshire, 1948- url p. 86.
- Students' handbook to accompany Plants and their uses / by Frederick Leroy Sargent. New York: Henry Holt, 1914. url .
- Studies in natural history. Iowa City, Ia. url p. 175.
- Sturtevant's notes on edible plants / Edited by U.P. Hedrick. Albany: J.B. Lyon, 1919. url p. 71.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url , p. 19, p. 35.
- Taxonomic literature: a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types (TL2) Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema, 1976-1988. url p. 87.
- Taxonomy, ethology, and ecology of Phidippus (Araneae: Salticidae) in eastern North America / by Glavis Bernard Edwards, Jr. 1980. url p. 199.
- Text-book of botany, morphological and physiological. Oxford, Clarendon press, 1882. url p. 617, p. 639, p. 939.
- Text-book of botany: morphological and physiological / by Julius Sachs; edited with an appendix, by Sydney H. Vines Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1883. url p. 639, p. 939.
- Textbook of theoretical botany, by R. C. McLean and W. R. Ivimey-Cook. London, Longmans, Green[1951- url p. 1885.
- The American botanist: a monthly journal for the plant lover. Binghamton, N.Y.: Willard N. Clute & Co., 1901-1948. url p. 56.
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 110, p. 83.
- The Bahama flora, New York, The Authors, 1920. url .
- The Bahama flora, by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Charles Frederick Millspaugh. New York, The authors, 1920. url p. 341, p. 341, p. 341, p. 341.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 18, p. 323, p. 376, p. 500, p. 90.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 218, p. 218.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 36 1922 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url dymond , , groh , title page, index , hutchings , p. 10, p. 110, p. 114, p. 128, p. 135, p. 136, p. 136, p. 142, p. 143, p. 150, p. 155, p. 158, p. 162, p. 165, p. 166, p. 17, p. 171, p. 179, p. 184, p. 187, p. 203, p. 212, p. 212, p. 214, p. 22, p. 244, p. 272, p. 305, p. 343, p. 384, p. 386, p. 39, p. 39, p. 40, p. 42, p. 42, p. 43, p. 43, p. 44, p. 44, p. 441, p. 45, p. 468, p. 480, p. 5, p. 507, p. 519, p. 525, p. 565, p. 60, p. 61, p. 619, p. 664, p. 717, p. 732, p. 760, p. 87, p. iii, p. iii.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 111.
- The English flower garden and home grounds: design and arrangement shown by existing examples of gardens in Great Britain and Ireland, followed by a description of the plants, shrubs, and trees for the open-air garden and their culture / by W. Robinson. London: J. Murray, 1911. url p. 448.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 168.
- The Floral keepsake: with thirty engravings elegantly colored from nature / edited by John Keese. New-York: Leavitt & Allen, [185-?] url p. 6.
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url p. 308.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 39, p. 404.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url , p. 69.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 10, p. 120, p. 128, p. 224, p. 310, p. 44.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 43 1983 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 144, p. 148, p. 149, figs. 7-8, page 153, p. 158, p. 162, p. 252, p. 254, p. 255, fig. 10, page 257.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 120, p. 367, p. 384.
- The Indiana weed book, by W. S. Blatchley. Indianapolis, The Nature publishing company, 1920. url p. 107.
- The Journal of heredity. Washington, etc., American Genetic Association url p. 460.
- The Metaspermae of the Minnesota Valley: a list of the higher seed-producing plants indigenous to the drainage-basin of the Minnesota River / by Conway MacMillan. Minneapolis: Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota, 1892. url p. 426, p. 698, p. 699.
- The Metaspermae of the Minnesota valley; a list of the higher seed-producing plants indigenous to the drainage-basin of the Minnesota river. Minneapolis[Harrison & Smith, State Printers]1892 url p. 699, p. 729.
- The North American Pyrenomycetes. A contribution to mycologic botany, by J. B. Ellis and B. M. Everhart. With original illustrations by F. W. Anderson. Newfield, N. J., Ellis & Everhart, 1892. url p. 260, p. 260.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 169, p. 217, p. 23, p. 271, p. 300, p. 315, p. 321, p. 322, p. 35, p. 381, p. 481, p. 71, p. 80.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 156, p. 156, p. 175, p. 175, p. 50, p. 50.
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 164, p. 171, p. 292, p. 347, p. 364, p. 365, p. 391.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 298, p. 593, p. 679.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 37 1956 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 1137, p. 171, p. 171, p. 171, p. 171, p. 192, p. 192, p. 192, p. 226, p. 232, p. 232, p. 254, p. 254, p. 385, p. 533, p. 533, p. 569, p. 990.
- The complete writings of Thomas Say on the entomology of North America / edited by John L. Le Conte. Philadelphia: A. E. Foote, 1891. url p. 121, p. 18.
- The fibrous plants of India, fitted for cordage, clothing, and paper. With an account of the cultivation and preparation of flax, hemp, and their substitutes. London, Smith, Elder, and Co.;1855. url .
- The flora of the town of Southold, Long Island, and Gardiner's Island / New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1914? url p. 210.
- The flower and the bee; plant life and pollination, LondonConstable1919 url p. 176.
- The handbook for practical farmers, dealing with the more important aspects of farming in the United States, ed. by Hugh Findlay. .. special chapters dealing with farm problems and practices by practical experts in different parts of the United States. .. New York and London, D. Appleton and company, 1920. url p. 517.
- The mosaic disease of cucurbits. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1920. url p. 7, p. 8.
- The mysteries of the flowers / by Herbert Waldron Faulkner. New York: Frederick A. Stokes, 1917. url p. 120, p. 233.
- The mysteries of the flowers, New York: Frederick A. Stokes company, [c1917] url p. 120, p. 233.
- The native flora of the vicinity of Cold Spring Harbor, L.I., New York. n.p., 1925 url p. 196.
- The natural history review. Dublin: Hodges & Smith, 1854-1865. url .
- The orchids in the Ottawa District: floristics, phytogeography, population studies and historical review / Joyce M. Reddoch and Allan H. Reddoch. 111 1997 Ottawa, Canada: The Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club,  url p. 136.
- The parks, promenades, & gardens of Paris, described and considered in relation to the wants of our own cities, and the public and private gardens. London, J. Murray.1869. url .
- The plant life of Maryland, by Forrest Shreve [et al.] Baltimore, Johns Hopkins Press, 1910. url p. 471.
- The plants of Michigan; simple keys for the identification of the native seed plants of the state, by Henry Allan Gleason. Ann Arbor, G. Wahr, c1918. url p. 91.
- The plants of Prince Edward Island / Ottawa: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1985. url p. 220.
- The plants of Southern New Jersey with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, N. J., 1911. url .
- The plants of Southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the Pine Barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 651.
- The plants of southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 651.
- The small grains, by Mark Alfred Carleton. .. New York, The Macmillan company, 1916. url p. 467.
- The weed flora of Iowa / [by L. H. Pammel; with the collaboration of Charlotte M. King. .. et al.] Des Moines: Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 239, p. 240, p. 462, p. 463, p. 562, p. 632, p. 646, p. 691, p. 719, p. 777, p. 794.
- The weed flora of Iowa Des Moines, Iowa geological survey, 1913. url , , , , , , , .
- The weed flora of Iowa. .. Des Moines, Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 239, p. 462, p. 463, p. 562, p. 632, p. 646, p. 691, p. 777, p. 788, p. 794.
- The wild garden, or the naturalization and natural grouping of hardy exotic plants with a chapter on the garden of British wild flowers. London, J. Murray, 1894. url .
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 109, p. 125, p. 133, p. 147, p. 159, p. 186, p. 188, p. 210, p. 24, p. 256, p. 304, p. 43, p. 48, p. 75, p. 79, p. 81.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. 6 1892 [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 14.
- Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. Springfield, Ill., Illinois State Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 168, p. 169, p. 35.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 13, p. 142, p. 144, p. 147, p. 173, p. 22, p. 23, p. 23, p. 231, p. 4, p. 43, p. 47, p. 70, p. 79, p. 80, p. 81, p. 95.
- Transactions of the Maryland Academy of Sciences. Baltimore: The Academy, 1901- url p. 59.
- Tulane studies in zoology and botany. 22 1980 New Orleans: Tulane University, [1968- url fig. 1, page 19.
- University studies of the University of Nebraska. Lincoln. url p. 102, p. 108, p. 114, p. 124, p. 129, p. 134, p. 28, p. 81, p. 82, p. 83, p. 98.
- Uses of plants by the Indians of the Missouri River region / by Melvin Randolph Gilmore Washington, Govt. print. off., 1919. url , p. 148, p. 149.
- Vascular plants of the Sangamon River basin; annotated checklist and ecological summary [by] Almut G. Jones and David T. Bell. [Urbana], University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Agriculture,  url p. 16, p. 9.
- Veterinary toxicology. Chicago, A. Eger, 1912. url .
- Weeds of the North Central States. Urbana, Ill: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Agriculture, Agricultural Experiment Station,  url p. 137, p. 268.
- Weeds of the farm and garden, by L.H. Pammel. .. New York, Orange Judd, 1912. url , p. 54.
- Who's who among the wild flowers / compiled and illustrated by W. I. Beecroft; with an introd. by Frances Duncan. New York: Moffat, Yard, 1910. url p. 236, p. 346.
- Who's who among the wild flowers; comp. and illustrated by W. I. Beecroft, with an introduction by Frances Duncan. New York, Moffat, Yard and company, 1910. url p. 346.
- Wild flowers east of the Rockies / by Chester A. Reed. New York: Doubleday, Page, 1910. url p. 276, p. 277, p. 278.
- Wild flowers east of the Rockies. Worcester, Mass., Reed, 1910. url p. 276, p. 277, p. 278.
- Wild flowers every child should know: arranged according to color with reliable descriptions of the more common species of the United States and Canada / by Frederic William Stack. New York: Doubleday, Page and Company, 1909. url p. 396, p. 79.
- Wild flowers of Canada published exclusively with the Montreal Star, Montreal; by special artists and botanists. Montreal: Montreal Star, [1895?] url .
- Wild flowers of New York, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1918. url , p. 222, p. 222, p. 224, p. 225, p. 225.
- Wild flowers; New York, Macmillan Co., 1934. url , , , .
- Yearbook of agriculture. WashingtonU.S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 264.
- Tsiang Ying & Li Ping-tao. 1977. Apocynaceae. Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 63: 1-249.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed March 27, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- The New York Botanical Garden, Bronx River Bioblitz
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2653442
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-30310
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13765784
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:94683-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 4478
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 30310
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 319076-2
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PDASC021Y0
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: ASSYK
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 22607
- Bingtao Li, Antony J. M. Leeuwenberg & David J. Middleton "Apocynaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 16 Page 143. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Asclepias". in Flora of China Vol. 16 Page 203. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 209.490 meters (687.303 feet), Standard Deviation = 217.630 based on 4,841 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]