- This is one of the prettiest milkweeds, it likes to grow near water.
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Butterfly Weed, Rose Milkweed, Swamp Milkweed
Common Names in French:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Spanish:
, or vines
, rarely subshrubs
or herbs, with latex or rarely watery juice. Leaves simple
, opposite, rarely whorled
or alternate, pinnately veined; stipules absent or rarely present. Inflorescences cymose
, with bracteoles. Flowers bisexual
, 5- [or 4]-merous, actinomorphic
. Calyx 5- or rarely 4-partite, quincuncial, basal glands
usually present. Corolla 5- or rarely 4-lobed, salverform
, or rarely rotate, lobes
overlapping to right
or left, rarely valvate
. Stamens 5 or rarely 4; filaments
or connivent into a cone adherent
to pistil head
, dehiscing longitudinally, base
, cordate, sagittate, or prolonged into an empty spur; pollen granular
; disc ringlike or cup-shaped, 2-5-lobed, or absent. Ovaries superior, rarely half-inferior, connate
, 1- or 2-locular; ovules (1 or) 2-numerous per locule. Style 1; pistil head capitate, conical
, or lampshade-shaped, base stigmatic, apex 2-cleft and not stigmatic
. Fruit a berry, drupe, capsule, or follicle. Seeds with or without coma; endosperm thick and often horny
, scanty, sometimes absent; embryo straight or nearly so, cotyledons often large, radicle terete
About 155 genera and 2000 species distributed primarily in the tropics and subtropics, poorly represented in the temperate regions . Of the 44 genera and 145 species present in China, one genus and 38 species are endemic, and nearly 95% of the taxa grow in the southern and southwestern portions of the country.
Fruit type is highly diversified in the family , and it is diagnostic of many genera. Genera 1-4 produce 1, 2-celled berries from a flower; genus 5 produces 2, 1-celled berries from a flower; 6 and 7 produce mostly fleshy follicles containing deeply indented seeds with ruminate endosperm; 8 has follicles and winged seeds; 9 produces follicles and seeds with 2 comas; 10-12 have follicles with globose seeds; 13-18 have drupes mostly with fleshy mesocarp; 19 has samaroid fruit; 20 has spiny capsules with seeds winged all around; and 21-44 have free or fused follicles and comose seeds. Double flowers are known only from cultivated forms of Nerium oleander, Tabernaemontana divaricata, and Wrightia religiosa.
Plants of the Apocynaceae are often poisonous and are rich in alkaloids or glycosides, especially in the seeds and latex. Some species are valuable sources of medicine, insecticides , fibers, and rubber.
frequently woody. Leaves opposite or whorled
, short petiolate
. Cymes terminal
, umbel-like, many flowered. Calyx glands
5-10. Corolla rotate, deeply parted
or rarely overlapping to right
lobes 5, inserted
on gynostegium, erect, apex hooded
, with an incurved
, ligular-hornlike adaxial
. Stamens inserted at base of corolla tube
into a tube; anther
appendages incurved; pollinia 2 per pollinarium
, pendulous. Stigma head
. Follicles fusiform
, apex acuminate. Seeds flat, with a long coma.
About 120 species: America, some naturalized in Old World; one species in China.
Habit: Forb/herb • Growth Form: Rhizomatous • Shape and Orientation: Erect
Flowers: Bright pink flowers in compact terminal clusters . Attracts butterflies. Blooms in summer. • Bloom Period: Fall • Flower Color: pink, purple • Flower Conspicuous: Yes
Seeds: Seed per Pound: 700000 • Seed Spread Rate: Slow • Seedling Vigor: Low • Fruit: Ornamental seed pods. • Fruit/Seed Abundance: Medium • Fruit/Seed Color: Brown • Fruit/Seed Conspicuous: No • Cold Stratification Required: No
Foliage: Foliage Color: Green • Summer foliage: Long narrow dark green leaves on sturdy stems. • Foliage Porosity Summer: Moderate • Foliage Porosity Winter: Porous • Foliage Texture: Coarse • Fall Conspicuous: No • Leaf Retention: No
Active Growth Period: Spring • Growth Rate: Moderate • After Harvest Regrowth Rate: Slow • Mature Height (feet): 4.9 • Size: 2-3' tall. • Vegetative Spread Rate: Slow • Lifespan: Lifespan
Landscape Uses: Mass planting . Borders . Naturalizing.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,370 meters (0 to 7,776 feet).
Duration: Perennial • Coppice Potential: No • Progagated by Bulbs: No • Propagated by Bare Root: No • Propagated by Container: No • Propagated by Corms: No • Propagated by Cuttings: No • Propagated by Seed: Yes • Propagated by Sod: No • Propagated by Sprigs: Yes • Propagated by Tubers: No • Fruit/Seed Period Begin: Spring • Fruit/Seed Period End: Fall • Fruit/Seed Persistence: Yes
Culture: Space 12-24" apart.
Soil: Prefers moist, boggy soil. • Adapted to Medium Textured: Adapted to Medium Textured Soils • Adapted to Coarse Textured Soils: No • Anaerobic Tolerance: High • Salinity Tolerance: None • CaCO3 Tolerance: Medium • Minimum pH: 5.0 • Maximum pH: 8.0 • Fertility Requirement: Medium
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade. • Shade Tolerance: Intolerant
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: None • Minimum Precipitation: 15 • Maximum Precipitation: 65 • Moisture Use: High
Temperature: Minimum Temperature (F): -38°F. • Minimum Frost Free Days: 107 • Cold Hardiness: 3a, 3b, 4a, 4b, 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Thorne Ex Reveal, 1992
- Lindley, 1833
- Series: tion of American wild flowers that bloom in J ()
- Order: Gentianales () - Lindley, 1833
- Superorder: Gentiananae () - Thorne Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Asclepias
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 110 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus. Here are just 100 of them:
A. albicans (Wax Milkweed) · A. amplexicaulis (Blunt-Leaf Milkweed) · A. angustifolia (Arizona Milkweed) · A. arenaria (Sand Milkweed) · A. asperula (Antelope Horns) · A. asperula capricornu (Antelope Horns) · A. asperula subsp. capricornu (Antelope Horns) · A. brevipes (Asclepias) · A. californica (California Milkweed) · A. californica greenei (Bract Milkweed) · A. californica var. callifolia (California Milkweed) · A. californica subsp. greenei (Greene's Milkweed) · A. cancellata (Asclepias) · A. cinerea (Carolina Milkweed) · A. connivens (Large-Flower Milkweed) · A. cordifolia (Heart-Leaf Milkweed) · A. cryptoceras (Davis Milkweed) · A. cryptoceras cryptoceras (Humboldt County Milkweed) · A. cryptoceras davisii (Humboldt Milkweed) · A. cryptoceras subsp. davisii (Davis' Milkweed) · A. curassavica (Bloodflower) · A. curassavica 'Silky Deep Red' (Bloodflower) · A. curassavica 'Silky Formula Mix' (Bloodflower) · A. curassavica 'Silky Gold' (Bloodflower) · A. curassavica 'Silky Scarlet' (Bloodflower) · A. curtissii (Curtiss Milkweed) · A. cutleri (Cutler Milkweed) · A. davisii davisii (Davis' Milkweed) · A. emoryi (Emory's Milkweed) · A. engelmanniana (Engelmann's Milkweed) · A. eriocarpa (Indian Milkweed) · A. erosa (Desert Milkweed) · A. exaltata (Poke Milkweed) · A. fascicularis (Mexican Whorled Milkweed) · A. feayi (Florida Milkweed) · A. fruticosa (Swan Plant Milkweed) · A. glaucescens (Nodding Milkweed) · A. hallii (Hall Milkweed) · A. hirtella (Green Milkweed) · A. humistrata (Pine-Woods Milkweed) · A. hypoleuca (Mahogany Milkweed) · A. incarnata (Butterfly Weed) · A. incarnata incarnata (Purple Milkweed) · A. incarnata pulchra (Rose Milkweed) · A. incarnata 'Cinderella' (Swamp Milkweed) · A. incarnata 'Ice Ballet' (Swamp Milkweed) · A. incarnata subsp. pulchra (Swamp Milkweed) · A. incarnata 'Soulmate' (Swamp Milkweed) · A. involucrata (Dwarf Milkweed) · A. labriformis (Jones Milkweed) · A. lanceolata (Fewflower Milkweed) · A. lanuginosa (Side-Cluster Milkweed) · A. latifolia (Broad-Leaf Milkweed) · A. lemmonii (Bigleaf Milkweed) · A. linaria (Mexican Milkweed) · A. linearis (Slim Milkweed) · A. longifolia (Long-Leaf Milkweed) · A. macrotis (Long-Hood Milkweed) · A. meadii (Mead's Milkweed) · A. michauxii (Michaux Milkweed) · A. nivea (Caribbean Milkweed) · A. nivea var. curassavica (Butterfly Flower) · A. nummularia (Tufted Milkweed) · A. nyctaginifolia (Mojave Milkweed) · A. obovata (Obovate Milkweed) · A. oenotheroides (Zizotes Milkweed) · A. ovalifolia (Dwarf Milkweed) · A. pedicellata (Savannah Milkweed) · A. perennis (Aquatic Milkweed) · A. physocarpa (Balloon Plant) · A. prostrata (Prostrate Milkweed) · A. pumila (Low Milkweed) · A. purpurascens (Purple Milkweed) · A. quadrifolia (Fourleaf Milkweed) · A. quinquedentata (Slim-Pod Milkweed) · A. racemosa (Talayote) · A. rubra (Red Milkweed) · A. rusbyi (Rusby's Milkweed) · A. scaposa (Bear Mountain Milkweed) · A. solanoana (Serpentine Milkweed) · A. speciosa (Greek Milkweed) · A. sperryi (Sperry's Milkweed) · A. stenophylla (Narrow-Leaved Milkweed) · A. subulata (Desert Milkweed) · A. subverticillata (Bedstraw Milkweed) · A. sullivantii (Prairie Milkweed) · A. syriaca (Broadleaf Milkweed) · A. texana (Texas Milkweed) · A. tomentosa (Tuba Milkweed) · A. tuberosa (Butterfly Milkweed) · A. tuberosa interior (Butterfly Milkweed) · A. tuberosa rolfsii (Butterfly Milkweed) · A. tuberosa tuberosa (Butterfly Milkweed) · A. tuberosa var. clay (Butterfly Weed) · A. tuberosa 'Hello Yellow' (Hellow Yellow Butterfly Weed) · A. tuberosa subsp. interior (Butterfly Milkweed) · A. tuberosa subsp. rolfsii (Rolfs' Milkweed) · A. tuberosa subsp. tuberosa (Butterfly Milkweed) · A. uncialis (Greene Milkweed) · A. uncialis uncialis (Wheel Milkweed)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... A preliminary catalogue of the flora of New Jersey. Comp. by N. L. Britton. .. with the assistance of eminent botanists. New Brunswick, Office of the survey, 1881. url p. 63.
- A biological survey of the sand dune region on the south shore of Saginaw Bay, Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Lansing, Mich.: Wynkoop, Hallenbeck, Crawford co., state printers, 1911. url p. 108, p. 134, p. 182, p. 209, p. 212, p. 41.
- A botanical survey of the Sugar Grove region / by Robert F. Griggs. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 330.
- A catalogue of plants growing without cultivation in the County of Nantucket, Mass. Northampton, Mass., Gazette Printing Co., 1888. url p. 48.
- A catalogue of the flowering plants and vascular cryptogams, found in and near Lackawanna and Wyoming valleys, by William R. Dudley...and Charles O. Thurston...1892. Wilkes-Barre, Pa., E. B. Yordy, 1892. url .
- A class-book of botany, designed for colleges, academies, and other seminaries. Illustrated by a flora of northern, middle, and western states; particularly of the United States north of the Capitol, lat. 38 3/4. Claremont, N. H., Manufacturing Co., S. Ide, agent, 1850. url p. 459.
- A contribution to the knowledge of the flora of southeastern Minnesota. [Boston, Heliotype Print. Co.]1900. url p. 401.
- A descriptive catalogue of useful fiber plants of the world: including the structural and economic classifications of fibers / by Charles Richards Dodge. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1897. url p. 241, p. 71.
- A dictionary of American plant names / compiled by Willard N. Clute. Joliet, Ill.: W.N. Clute, 1923. url p. 90.
- A guide to the wild flowers Toronto: McLelland, Goodchild & Steward, c1899. url .
- A guide to the wild flowers east of the Mississippi and north of Virginia / by Norman Taylor. New York: Greenberg, 1928. url p. 228.
- A guide to the wild flowers, by Alice Lounsberry. With sixty-four coloured and one hundred black-and-white plates and fifty-four diagrams by Mrs. Ellis Rowan; with an introduction by Dr. N.L. Britton... New York, Frederick A. Stokes company url p. 391, p. 99.
- A little book of perennials, by Alfred C. Hottes. New York, N. Y., The A. T. De La Mare1923. url p. 32.
- A manual of botany: including the structure, functions, classification, properties and uses of plants. London, John Churchill, 1861. url p. 595.
- A manual of organic materia medica and pharmacognosy; an introduction to the study of the vegetable kingdom and the vegetable and animal drugs (with syllabus of inorganic remedial agents) comprising the botanical and physical characteristics, source, con Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 364.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url .
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L.H. Pammel. Cedar Rapids, Iowa: Torch Press, 1910-1911. url p. 130.
- A manual of the medical botany of North America by Laurence Johnson. New York: W. Wood, 1884. url p. 230.
- A manual of weeds, with descriptions of all the most pernicious and troublesome plants in the United States and Canada, their habits of growth and distribution, with methods of control, by Ada E. Georgia. .. with 385 illustrations by F. Schuyler Mathews. .. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1916, c1914. url p. 316, p. 572.
- A manual of weeds: with descriptions of all the most pernicious and troublesome plants in the United States and Canada, their habits of growth and distribution, with methods of control / New York: Macmillan, 1919, c1914. url .
- A narrative history of the town of Cohasset, Massachusetts. [Cohasset]Committee on Town History, 1898-1956. url p. 546, p. 89.
- A popular handbook of the birds of the United States and Canada / Boston: Little, Brown, 1921. url .
- A popular handbook of the ornithology of the United States and Canada, based on Nuttall's Manual / By Montague Chamberlain. Boston, Little, Brown, and Company, 1891. url p. 98.
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url , p. 647.
- A preliminary list of the plants of New Brunswick compiled by James Fowler; with assistance of members of New Brunswick Natural History Society. Saint John, N.B.: Ellis, Robertson & Co., 1885. url .
- A provisional host-index of the fungi of the United States, by W. G. Farlow and A. B. Seymour. Cambridge, 1888-91. url p. 79.
- A provisional list of the parasitic fungi of Wisconsin. Madison, 1914 url p. 902, p. 924.
- A short treatise on the milk-weed, or silk-weed and the Canadian nettle, viewed as industrial resources by Alexander Kirkwood. Ottawa: Hunter, Rose, 1867. url .
- A survey of natural areas in Tyrrell County, North Carolina: for The North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url p. 10.
- A text-book of botany and pharmacognosy: intended for the use of students of pharmacy, as a reference book for pharmacists, and a handbook for food and drug analysts / by Henry Kraemer. Philadelphia & London: J. B. Lippincott company[c1910] url p. 411.
- Abstract of the proceedings of the Linnaean Society of New York. [New York]: The Society, [1889-1932]. url p. 66.
- American bee journal. Hamilton, Ill., etc., Dadant & Sons url p. 45, p. 793.
- American flower garden directory: containing practical directions for the culture of plants in the flower garden, hot-house, green-house, rooms, or parlour windows, for every month in the year. With a description of the plants most de Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 1845. url p. 36.
- American insects / by Vernon L. Kellogg. New York: Holt, 1904. url p. 571.
- American insects, by Vernon L. Kellogg. .. with many original illustrations by Mary Wellman. New York, H. Holt and Company, 1908. url p. 571.
- American insects, ill. by Mary Wellman. New York, Holt, 1914. url p. 571.
- An ecological study of prairie and forest invertebrates / by Charles C. Adams. Urbana, Ill.: Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History, 1915. url , , p. 112, p. 113, p. 171, p. 173, p. 177, p. 178, p. 182, p. 184, p. 192, p. 198, p. 200, p. 44, p. 49.
- An ecological survey in northern Michigan. Prepared under the direction of Chas. C. Adams. A report from the University museum, University of Michigan, published by the state Board of geological survey as a part of the report for 1905. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford co., state printers, 1906. url p. 84, p. 84, p. 92, p. 92.
- An ecological survey of Isle Royale, Lake Superior. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford Co., State Printers, 1909. url , .
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 1442.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 24, p. 26, p. 27.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 358, p. 368.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 163.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 573.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 318, p. 332.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 134.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 5 1894 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 126, p. 185, p. 191, p. 234, p. 47, p. 65.
- Annual report of the Director to the Board of Trustees for the year. .. / Field Museum of Natural History Chicago, U.S.A.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1907-1943. url p. 215, p. 233.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 649, p. 731.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 125, p. 159, p. 160, p. 162, p. 259, p. 259, p. 44, p. 49, p. 56, p. 60, p. 69, p. 88.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 70.
- Annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture of the State of Michigan. .. Lansing: The Board, 1862- url p. 146, p. 449.
- Annual report of the State Botanist of the State of New York. Albany: Troy Press, 1889-1897. url , , .
- Annual report on the New York State Museum of Natural History. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 44.
- Annual report. .. / [State Board of Agriculture]. [Montpelier, Vt.]: The Board, 1900-1908. url p. 71, p. 98.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 1 - 10 1908 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 11, p. 27, p. 33, p. 35, p. 38, p. 44, p. 73, p. 75.
- Botanic drugs, their materia medica, pharmacology, and therapeutics, by Thomas S. Blair. Cincinnati, O.: The Therapeutic digest publishing co., 1917. url p. 368, p. 97.
- Botanical survey of Nebraska. Conducted by the Botanical Seminar. I-VII. Lincoln, Neb., 1892-1904. url , , .
- Botany for academies and colleges: consisting of plant development and structure from seaweed to clematis, Philadelphia, J.B. Lippincott company, 1889. url .
- Botany for high schools and colleges. New York: H. Holt, 1885. url .
- Botany, developmental and descriptive. Philadelphia, Lea, 1922. url p. 212, p. 216.
- Botany. New York, Holt, 1889. url p. 102.
- British bee journal & bee-keepers adviser. London. url p. 23, p. 24.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. 6 1922 [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 17, p. 265, p. 76, p. 860.
- Budd's flora of the Canadian Prairie Provinces / [Ottawa]: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1987. url p. 595.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 134.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 110, p. 173, p. 324, p. 97.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url p. 376, p. 390, p. 554, p. 555, p. 581.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 209, p. 330.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 287.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1913. url p. 13, p. 36, p. 47, p. 57, p. 68, p. 69.
- Bulletin of the Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences. Buffalo, N.Y.: The Society, 1874- url p. 245.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url , , , p. 103, p. 112, p. 112, p. 113, p. 113, p. 113, p. 113, p. 160, p. 164, p. 171, p. 171, p. 171, p. 172, p. 172, p. 172, p. 172, p. 173, p. 173, p. 173, p. 173, p. 174, p. 175, p. 175, p. 176, p. 176, p. 176, p. 177, p. 177, p. 182, p. 182, p. 182, p. 184, p. 184, p. 184, p. 186, p. 192, p. 198, p. 198, p. 198, p. 200, p. 200, p. 200, p. 283, p. 283, p. 283, p. 314, p. 314, p. 323, p. 329, p. 329, p. 331, p. 338, p. 364, p. 364, p. 39, p. 39, p. 39, p. 39, p. 44, p. 44, p. 44, p. 453, p. 453, p. 49, p. 49, p. 49, p. 590, p. 605, p. 614, p. 616, p. 616.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 1 1898 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 139, p. 218.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 1904 31 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 136, p. 138, p. 185, p. 204, p. 259, p. 294, p. 32, p. 358, p. 39, p. 474, p. 511, p. 71, p. 76.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 242, p. 821.
- Bulletin of the scientific laboratories of Denison University. Granville, Ohio: [The University], 1885- url p. 10.
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url .
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 126, p. 38, p. 57.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url , , .
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 10, p. 57, p. 75.
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants, arranged according to the phyletic classification; with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Univ Columbus, The Ohio State University, 1914. url .
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants: arranged according to the phyletic classification: with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Uni by John H. Schaffner. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 209.
- Catalog of hymenoptera in America north of Mexico / prepared cooperatively by specialists on the various groups of Hymenoptera under the direction of Karl V. Krombein. .. [et al.]. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1979- url .
- Catalogue of Canadian plants. .. Montreal [etc.]1883-1902. url , p. 318.
- Catalogue of plants which have been found growing without cultivation in the park and its outlying territories collected, mounted and catalogued for the plant herbarium in the superintendent's office at Niagara Falls, Ontario / by Roderick Cameron. Niagara Falls, Ont.?: s.n., 1896? url .
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 416, p. 723, p. 74.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 416, p. 723, p. 74.
- Catalogue of the cabinet of natural history of the state of New York, and of the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, C. Van Benthuysen, printer, 1853. url .
- Catalogue of the collections in the museum of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain compiled by E.M. Holmes. London, The Society, 1878. url p. 274.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 322.
- Catalogue of the phanerogams and ferns of Licking County, Ohio. Granville, Ohio, Press of Granville Times, 1892. url .
- Chapters on the natural history of the United States / by R. W. Shufeldt. New York: Studer Brothers, 1900. url p. 324.
- Checklist of plants of the Ottawa District. Ottawa, 1958. url p. 69.
- Chemical interactions among milkweed plants (asclepiadaceae) and lepidopteran herbivores / by James A. Cohen. 1983. url p. 47.
- Come into the garden, New York, The Macmillan company, 1921. url p. 281.
- Comprehensive plan for the Illinois Nature Preserves System. Rockford, Ill.: Illinois Nature Preserves Commission, 1972-1973. url p. 32.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory and the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: [s.n., url .
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 3 1892-1896 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 169, p. 197, p. 210, p. 226, p. 232, p. 233, p. 265, p. 421, p. 422, p. 511.
- Contributions from the University of Michigan Herbarium. 23 2001 Ann Arbor: University Herbarium, University of Michigan, 1939- url p. 317.
- Contributions to the botany of Vermont. Burlington, Vt.: Botanical Dept., University of Vermont, 1898-1911. url p. 178, p. 71, p. 98, p. 98.
- Cultures of Uredineae 1899-1921. n.p., n.d. url p. 24, p. 306, p. 319.
- Ecologically significant wetlands in the Upper Yellowstone River watershed: including the Boulder, Clarks Fork Yellowstone, Shields, and Stillwater River drainages / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, 2001. url , .
- Ecology notes. [Ithaca]1900. url , .
- Elementary botany Toronto: Copp, Clark, [1899?] url .
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 271.
- Entomology, with special reference to its ecological aspects, by Justus Watson Folsom. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston[c1922] url p. 222.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 12, p. 19, p. 42, p. 58, p. 73.
- Erythea. a journal of botany, West American and general. 2 1894 Berkeley, Calif., University of California, 1893-1922. url p. 20.
- Facts relating to the history of Groton, Massachusetts, by Samuel Abbott Green. .. [Cambridge, J. Wilson and Son]1912-14. url p. 15.
- Farm weeds of Canada, by George H. Clark and James Fletcher. With illustrations by Norman Criddle. Published by direction of the Hon. Sydney A. Fisher, Minister of Agriculture, Ottawa, 1909. Ottawa: Govt. Print. Bureau,  url p. 119.
- Field book of American wild flowers; being a short description of their character and habits, a concise definition of their colors, and incidental references to the insects which assist in their fertilization, by F. Schuyler Mathews. 1912 New York, Putnam,  url p. 572.
- Field book of american wild flowers; being a short description of their character and habits, a concise definition of their colors, and incidental references to the insects which assist in their fertilization, by F. Schuyler Mathews... with numerous reproductions of water colors and pen-and-ink studies from nature by the author. New York, G.P. Putnam, 1902. url p. 366, p. 538.
- Field, forest, and garden botany, a simple introduction to the common plants of the United States, east of the Mississippi, both wild and cultivated. By Asa Gray. New York: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & co., [c1868] url p. 277.
- Fieldbook of Illinois wild flowers; six hundred fifty of the more common flowering plants in the state. Urbana, 1936. url p. 245, p. 245, p. 393, p. 393.
- First biennial report of the progress of the Geological survey of Michigan, embracing observations on the geology, zoo?logy and botany of the lower peninsula. Made to the governor, December 31, 1860. Lansing, Hosmer & Kerr, printers to the state, 1861. url .
- Flora cestrica: an herborizing companion for the young botanists of Chester County...Pennsylvania. Philadelphia, Lindsay & Blakiston, 1853. url p. 235.
- Flora of Ann Arbor and vicinity. Ann Arbor, [Mich.]: Courier Steam Print. House, 1876. url p. 104.
- Flora of Berkshire County, Massachusetts. Boston, Printed for the Society, 1922. url .
- Flora of Burlington and vicinity; a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation, by Nellie F. Flynn. Burlington, Free Press Printing Co., 1911. url p. 98.
- Flora of Colorado, Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url , .
- Flora of Colorado, by P. A. Rydberg, PH. D. Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url p. 270, p. 271.
- Flora of Colorado, by P.A. Rydberg. Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url p. 270, p. 270, p. 271, p. 271.
- Flora of Delaware and the Eastern Shore: an annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of the peninsula of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. [Wilmington]: Society of Natural History of Delaware, 1946. url p. 210.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 1081, p. 766, p. 768.
- Flora of Lancaster County: being descriptions of the seed-plants growing naturally in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania / by John Kunkel Small and Joel Jackson Carter. New York: The authors, 1913. url p. 229.
- Flora of Lancaster County; being descriptions of the seed- plants growing naturally in Lancaster County, Pennsylvanial. By John Kunkel Small and Joel Jackson Carter. New York, 1913. url p. 229.
- Flora of Middlesex County, Massachusetts, Malden, Middlesex Institute, 1888. url .
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb.[c1912] url .
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the ferns, conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb., 1923 url p. 117.
- Flora of New Mexico / by E.O. Wooton and Paul C. Standley. Washington: G.P.O., 1915. url p. 511.
- Flora of New Mexico. By E.O. Wooton and Paul C. Standley. WashingtonGovt. Print. Off.1915 url p. 509.
- Flora of Pennsylvania, Boston, Ginn & Company, 1903. url .
- Flora of Pennsylvania. Edited with the addition of analytical keys by John Kunkel Small. Boston, Ginn & Co., 1903. url p. 250, p. 251.
- Flora of Vermont. List of ferns and seed plants growing without cultivation. Prepared by Vermont Botanical Club. Burlington, Vt., Free Press Print. Co., 1915. url p. 236.
- Flora of Vermont; a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation. Prepared by Ezra Brainerd, L.R. Jones and W.W. Eggleston, committee for the Vermont botanical club. Burlington, Vt., Free Press Association, 1900. url p. 98.
- Flora of West Virginia, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh and Lawrence William Nuttall. 1 1896 Chicago, 1896. url p. 223.
- Flora of West Virginia. Charleston, W. Va., M.W. Donnally, 1892. url p. 407.
- Flora of Winneshiek County. Des Moines: 1906. url .
- Flora of the Blue Hills, Middlesex Fells, Stony Brook and Beaver Brook reservations, of the Metropolitan Park Commission, Massachusetts. Boston: C.M. Barrows, 1896. url p. 56.
- Flora of the District of Columbia and vicinity. By A.S. Hitchcock and Paul C. Standley, with the assistance of the botanists of Washington. WashingtonGovt. print. off.1919 url p. 233.
- Flora of the Miami Valley, Ohio /c by A.P. Morgan. Dayton, Ohio: Literary Union, 1878. url p. 37.
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 946.
- Flowers and ferns in their haunts, by Mabel Osgood Wright with illustrations from photographs by the author and J. Horace McFarland. London, The Macmillan company, 1901. url p. 459.
- Flowers and insects; lists of visitors of four hundred and fifty-three flowers, by Charles Robertson. Carlinville, Ill., n.p.1928. url p. 29.
- Flowers of field, hill, and swamp, by Caroline A. Creevey. Illustrated by Benjamin Lander. New York, Harper, 1897. url p. 67.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url , , p. 298, p. 336, p. 341, p. 356, p. 448.
- Gardeners' chronicle of America. New York: Chronicle Press, 1905-1950. url p. 465, p. 508.
- Gardening. Chicago, the Gardening Co., 1892-1925. url p. 132, p. 133.
- Gleanings in bee culture. Medina, Ohio, A. I. Root Co. url , p. 707.
- Grand Rapids flora: a catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns growing without cultivation in the vicinity of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Grand Rapids, Mich., A. Van Dort, 1901. url p. 124.
- Gray's Botanical text-book New York, Ivison, 1879-1885. url p. 71.
- Gray's school and field book of botany. Consisting of "Lessons in botany" and "Field, forest, and garden botany" bound in one volume. By Asa Gray. New York, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, & company, 1881. url p. 277.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1987 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 53, p. 79.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 139.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 255.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url .
- Handbook of hardy herbaceous and alpine flowers. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1871. url p. 190.
- Handbook of nature study, for teachers and pupils in elementary schools. By D. Lange. .. London: The Macmillan co., 1898. url p. 197.
- Handbook of the flora of Philadelphia and vicinity, containing data relating to the plants within the following radius: eastern Pennsylvania; all of New Jersey except the northern counties; and New Castle County, Delaware, with keys for identification comp. by Ida A. Keller and Stewardson Brown. Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, 1905. url p. 259, p. 260.
- Handy book of ornamental conifers of rhododendrons and other American flowering shrubs suitable for the climate and soils of Britain, by Hugh Fraser. .. Edinburgh and London: W. Blackwood and sons, 1875. url p. 276.
- Hardy flowers. Descriptions of upwards of thirteen hundred of the most ornamental species, with directions for their arrangement, culture, etc.. .. By W. Robinson. London, Macmillan, 1878. url p. 67.
- Harper's guide to wild flowers, by Mrs. Caroline A. Creevey. New York, Harper, 1912. url p. 465.
- Hooker, W. J. & G. A. W. Arnott. The botany of Captain Beechey's voyage;comprising an acount of the plants collected by Messrs. Lay and Collie, and other officers of the expedition, during the voyage to the Pacific and Behring's Strait, performed in His Majesty's ship Blossom, under the command of Captain F. W. Beechey. .. in the years 1825, 26, 27, and 28.By Sir William Jackson Hooker. .. and G. A. Walker Arnott. .. 1841 London, H. G. Bohn, 1841. url p. 363, p. 438.
- Horticulture. Boston, Mass.: Horticulture Pub. Co., c1904- url p. 298, p. 506.
- How to know the wild flowers: a guide to the names, haunts, and habits of our common wild flowers / by Mrs. William Starr Dana [i.e. F.T.S.D. Parsons]; illustrated by Marion Satterlee and Elsie Louise Shaw. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1913. url p. 333.
- How to study plants: or, Introduction to botany, being an illustrated flora / by Alphonso Wood. New York: Barnes, 1882. url p. 199.
- Humboldt; Monatsschrift für die gesamten Naturwissenschaften. Stuttgart, F. Enke, 1882-90. url p. 186.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 171, p. 176.
- Illinois biological monographs. Urbana, Univ. of Illinois Press. url p. 39, p. 68.
- Illinois wild flowers, by John Voss and Virginia S. Eifert. Springfield,  url p. 202.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url p. 142, p. 142.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 121, p. 122.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 35 1934 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 139.
- Journal of the New York Entomological Society. Lawrence, Kan.: Allen Press [etc.] url p. 123, p. 124, p. 130, p. 136.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 443.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. A physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. [Indianapolis]Dept. of Conservation, State of Indiana [Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 394.
- Lake Maxinkuckee: a physical and biological survey / by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. Indianapolis: Dept. of Conservation, 1920. url p. 394.
- Landscape garden series, ed. by Ralph Rodney Root. Davenport, Ia.: The Garden Press,  url p. 28, p. 41.
- Lawns and gardens. How to plant and beautify the home lot, the pleasure ground and garden, by N. Jönsson-Rose. With numerous plans and illustrations by the author. New York, G. P. Putnam, 1897. url p. 356.
- Leaf-mining insects / by James G. Needham, Stuart W. Frost, Beatrice H. Tothill. Baltimore: The Williams & Wilkins company, [c1928] url p. 304.
- Lessons in botany and vegetable physiology, illus. by. .. Isaac Sprague. To which is added a copious glossary, or dictionary of botanical terms. New York, Ivison, Phinney, Blakeman, 1872 [c1868] url p. 277.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 263.
- Lists of plant types for landscape planting; the materials of planting for ornament listed according to their various uses, by Stephen F. Hamblin. Cambridge, Harvard University Press, 1923. url , , , , , p. 91.
- Making a water garden, New York, McBride, Nast & company, 1913. url p. 26.
- Manual of the Flora of Jackson County, Missouri, By Kenneth K. MacKenzie, assisted by B. F. Bush and others. Kansas City, Mo., s.n., 1902 url p. 150.
- Manual of the flora of Jackson County, Missouri, by Kenneth K. Mackenzie, assisted by B. F. Bush and others. Kansas City, Mo., 1902. url .
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 742.
- Manual of the flowering plants of Iowa. [Lamoni, Iowa]Privately published, 1899. url .
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 4 1893 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 139, p. 263.
- Michigan flora. Prepared for the thirtieth annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture, by W. J. Beal and C. F. Wheeler. Lansing: R. Smith & co., printers, 1892 url p. 33.
- Minnesota botanical studies. Minneapolis, Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. url , , , , p. 357, p. 362, p. 362, p. 401, p. 401, p. 560, p. 589, p. 589, p. 626.
- Miscellaneous papers on the botany of Michigan, by C. K. Dodge. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Published as a part of the Annual report of the Board of Geological Survey for 1920. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford, State Printers, 1921. url p. 114, p. 209, p. 61.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1957 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 14.
- Montana wetland assessment method / prepared by Jeff Berglund, Western EcoTech. Helena, Mont.: Western EcoTech, 1999. url p. 1.
- More pot-pourri from a Surrey garden, London, Macmillan & co., ltd., 1899. url , , p. 369, p. 449.
- Morphological studies of the genus Cercospora, Urbana, Ill., 1930 url p. 39, p. 68.
- Muhlenbergia. Chico, Calif. [etc] url p. 143, p. 65.
- Museum bulletin / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 318, p. 332.
- Mutations, variations, and relationships of the oenotheras, Washington, D.C.Carnegie Institution of Washington1907 url p. 75.
- Nantucket wild flowers / by Alice O. Albertson; illustrated by Anne Hinchman. New York and London: G. P. Putnam's sons, 1921. url p. 311, p. 311.
- National list of scientific plant names. [Washington, D.C.]: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Soil Conservation Service, 1982- url p. 39.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 122.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 274, p. 274, p. 471.
- Nature sketches in temperate America, a series of sketches and a popular account of insects, birds, and plants, treated from some aspects of their evolution and ecological relations, Chicago, A. C. McClurg & Co., 1911. url .
- Nature. London, Macmillan. url p. 329.
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 103, p. 13, p. 185, p. 20, p. 90.
- New manual of botany of the central Rocky mountains (vascular plants) Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company[c1909] url .
- Notes on the distribution and bibliography of North American bees of the families, Apidae, Meliponidae, Bombidae, Euglossidae, and Anthophoridae, New York1920 url p. 517.
- Notes on the flora of western Nova Scotia, 1921 / M.L. Fernald. Cambridge, MA: Gray Herbarium of Harvard University, 1922. url p. 180.
- Occasional papers of the Museum of Zoology, University of Michigan. Ann Arbor, Mich.: University of Michigan, 1913- url p. 14, p. 2, p. 2, p. 29.
- On the recent secular period of the aurora borealis. By Denison Olmsted. Washington, Smithsonian Institution, 1856 url p. 37, p. 445.
- Our garden flowers; a popular study of their native lands, their life histories, and their structural affiliations, New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1910. url , .
- Our native birds of song and beauty, being a complete history of all the songbirds, flycatchers, hummingbirds, swifts, goatsuckers, woodpeckers, kingfishers, trogons, cuckoos, and parrots, of North America. 1 1893 Milwaukee, G. Brumder, 1893-96. url p. 185.
- Pamphlets on forestry in North Dakota and South Dakota. [1900?- url p. 49.
- Part I. The living flora of West Virginia, by C. F. Millspaugh. Part II. The fossil flora of West Virginia, by David White. Wheeling, Wheeling news litho. co., 1913 url p. 79.
- Phytogeography of Nebraska. 1. General survey by Roscoe Pound and Frederic E. Clements. Lincoln, Neb.Published by the Seminar1900 url p. 267, p. 274, p. 275, p. 345, p. 392, p. 419, p. 88.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 212, p. 217, p. 264, p. 284, p. 31, p. 39, p. 39, p. 4, p. 49, p. 5, p. 56, p. 62, p. 64, p. 67, p. 73, p. 74, p. 90.
- Plant names, scientific and popular, including in the case of each plant the correct botanical name in accordance with the reformed nomenclature, together with botanical and popular synonyms. .. Comp. from the most authentic sources by A. B. Lyons. Detroit, Nelson, Baker & Co., 1900. url p. 49.
- Plant species of concern / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2003. url .
- Plantae Lindheimerianae: an enumeration of F. Lindheimer's collection of Texan plants, with remarks and descriptions of new species, etc. / by George Engelmann and Asa Gray. Boston: Printed by Freeman and Bolles, 1845- url p. 152.
- Potter's cyclopaedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R.C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke,  url p. 277, p. ix.
- Potter's cyclopedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R. C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke, [1900-1950?]. url p. 152, p. ix.
- Practical floriculture, a guide to the successful cultivation of florists' plants, for the amateur and professional florist. New York, Judd url p. 218.
- Practical floriculture; a guide to the successful cultivation of florists' plants, for the amateur and professional florist. New York, Orange Judd company, 1879. url p. 249.
- Practical guide to the wild flowers and fruits by George Lincoln Walton. Philadelphia: Lippincott, 1909. url p. 114, p. 13.
- Practical landscape gardening, with reference to the improvement of rural residences, giving the general principles of art; with full directions for planting shade trees, shrubbery and flowers, and laying out grounds. Cincinnati, Moore, Wilstach, Keys & co., 1855. url p. 223.
- Practical landscape gardening: with reference to the improvement of rural residences, giving the general principles of the art: with full directions for planting shade trees, shrubbery and flowers, and laying out grounds / by G.M. Kern. Cincinnati: Moore, Wilstach, Keys & Co., No. 25 West Fourth Street, 1855. url p. 223.
- Preliminary report of explorations in Nebraska and Dakota, in the years 1855-'56-'57, by Lieut. G.K. Warren, Topographical Engineers. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1875. url p. 120.
- Principal poisonous plants of Canada / by Faith Fyles. Ottawa: Dept. of Agriculture, Dominion Experimental Farms, 1920. url , p. 107.
- Problems and methods of research in protozoology... edited by Robert Hegner...and Justin Andrews... New York, The Macmillan company, 1930. url p. 272.
- Proceedings - Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences. Staten Island, N.Y., Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences. url p. 142, p. 28.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 103, p. 103, p. 293, p. 293, p. 826.
- Proceedings of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Boston: Metcalf and Co., 1846-1958 url p. 66.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 225.
- Proceedings of the Davenport Academy of Natural Sciences. Davenport, Ia., Academy of Natural Sciences [etc.] url p. 103, p. 221.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 228.
- Proceedings of the Essex Institute. Salem: Essex Institute Press. url p. 191.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 144, p. 144, p. 151, p. 180, p. 181, p. 181, p. 190, p. 190, p. 193, p. 197, p. 197, p. 197, p. 197, p. 202, p. 202, p. 271, p. 29, p. 369, p. 369, p. 44, p. 57.
- Proceedings of the Rochester Academy of Science. Rochester, N.Y.: The Academy.1889- url p. 85.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 43, p. 445, p. 471.
- Proposed estuarine sanctuary grant award to the state of New York for a Hudson River estuarine sanctuary. Albany, N.Y.: New York, Dept. of Environmental Conservation,  url p. 130.
- Psyche. Cambridge, Mass.: Cambridge Entomological Club url p. 276.
- Report of the Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: James B. Lyon, State Printer, 1867-1924. url p. 10, p. 11, p. 13, p. 44, p. 48.
- Report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904-1916. url p. 185, p. 61.
- Report of the State Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1898-1925. url , , , .
- Report of the flora of Westchester County. Prepared for Bolton's History of the County. New YorkRoper & Burdge, 1880? url p. 805.
- Report on the herbaceous flowering plants of Massachusetts, arranged according to the natural orders of Lindley, and illustrated chiefly by popular descriptions of their character, properties, and use Pub. agreeably to an order of the Legislature, by the commissioners on the zoological and botanical survey of the state. Cambridge, Folsom, Wells, and Thurston, Printers to the University, 1840. url p. 145.
- Report on the indigenous medical botany of Massachusetts. Philadelphia, 1849 url p. 898.
- Reports of the Survey. Botanical series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892- url p. 362, p. 401, p. 426, p. 589, p. 699.
- Research methods in ecology, Lincoln, Neb., University Pub. Co., 1905. url .
- Research methods in ecology. Lincoln, Neb.The University publishing company1905 url p. 112.
- Rock River area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, Natural History Survey Division, in conjunction with State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, IL: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1996- url p. 124, p. 85, p. 86, p. 90.
- Rocky mountain flowers; an illustrated guide for plantlovers and plant-users; with twenty-five plates in color and twenty-one plates in black and white [by] Frederic Edward Clements...and Edith Schwartz Clements... 1914 New York city, the H.W. Wilson company, 1914. url explanation of plate 17.
- Rubber-content of North American plants by Harvey M. Hall and Frances L. Long. WashingtonCarnegie Institution of Washington1921 url p. 10, p. 56, p. 57.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 711.
- Small, J. K. Flora of the southeastern United States;being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolin, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and the Indian territory and in Oklahoma and Texas east of the one-hundredth meridian /by John Kunkel Small. .. 1903 New York: The author, 1903. url p. 942.
- South Carolina. Resources and population. Institutions and industries. Pub. by the State Board of Agriculture of South Carolina. Charleston, S.C.: Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1883. url p. 336, p. 336.
- Southern wild flowers and trees, together with shrubs, vines and various forms of growth found through the mountains, the middle district and the low country of the South, by Alice Lounsberry, with plates, vignettes and diagrams by Mrs. E. Rowan, with an introduction by C. D. Beadle. New York, Stokes url p. 559.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 125, p. 130, p. 49, p. 60, p. 88.
- Special scientific report--wildlife / U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service. Washington, D.C.: The Service, 1949- url p. 30.
- Standard values in nutrition and metabolism, being the second fascicle of a handbook of biological data. Prepared under the direction of the Committee on the Handbok of Biological Data, American Institute of Biological Sciences, National Research Council. Philadelphia, Saunders url p. 368.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 285.
- Stout manual training school; a handbook for planning and planting small home grounds. .. with a list of native and commonly cultivated plants that are represented in the collection upon the Stout manual training school grounds. Menomonie, Wis., Stout manual training school, 1899. url p. 53, p. 68.
- Studies in natural history. Iowa City, Ia. url p. 28, p. 7.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 12, p. 14, p. 35, p. 37, p. 38.
- Synoptical flora of North America. New York, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and Co. [etc., etc.]1878-1884. url , p. 90.
- Synoptical flora of North America: the Gamopetalae, a second edition of vol. I, pt. II, and vol. II, pt. I / collected by Asa Gray. Washington, D. C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1888. url p. 90.
- The American botanist and florist: including lessons in the structure, life, and growth of plants: together with a simple analytical flora, descriptive of the native and cultivated plants growing in the Atlantic division of the Americ by Alphonso Wood. New York: A. S. Barnes, 1877, c1870. url p. 272.
- The American botanist: a monthly journal for the plant lover. Binghamton, N.Y.: Willard N. Clute & Co., 1901-1948. url p. 100, p. 12, p. 49.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 1158, p. 1302, p. 234, p. 927.
- The American flower garden, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1909. url p. 93.
- The American gardener's assistant in three parts containing complete practical directions for the cultivation of vegetables, flowers, fruit trees and grape vines / by Thomas Bridgeman Philadelphia: H. T. Coates, [c1866] url p. 33, p. 33.
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 110, p. 509, p. 83.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 140, p. 140.
- The California horticulturist and floral magazine. San Francisco, Cal.: F.A. Miller & Co., [1870- url p. 282.
- The Canadian entomologist. Ottawa [etc.]Entomological Society of Canada [etc.] url p. 149, p. 174, p. 175, p. 229.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 64 1950 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url title page, index , title page, index , p. 110, p. 128, p. 138, p. 166, p. 172, p. 178, p. 179, p. 222, p. 263, p. 717, p. 87, p. 90.
- The Canadian journal; a repertory of industry, science, and art; and a record of the proceedings of the Canadian Institute. Toronto: Published by H. Scobie for the Council of the Canadian Institute. url p. 222.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 129.
- The English flower garden and home grounds: design and arrangement followed by a description of the plants, shrubs and trees for the open-air garden and their culture / by W. Robinson. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1921. url p. 353.
- The Entomologist. London: Edward Newman, 1840- url p. 86.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 1035, p. 1322, p. 457, p. 536, p. 63.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 154, p. 165, p. 198, p. 203, p. 315, p. 507, p. 544, p. 72, p. 83, p. 98.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url p. 339, p. 339.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 112, p. 165, p. 197, p. 218, p. 231, p. 262, p. 360.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 40 1980 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 233.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 384, p. 416.
- The Indiana weed book, by W. S. Blatchley. Indianapolis, The Nature publishing company, 1920. url p. 106.
- The Journal of the Cincinnati Society of Natural History. Cincinnati: The Society, 1878/79 [i.e. 1878 or 1879]-1945. url p. 186, p. 233.
- The Journal of the Iowa Academy of Science: JIAS. Cedar Falls, Iowa: The Academy, 1988- url p. 122.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 22 1887 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 105.
- The Lancaster, farmer, a monthly journal: Lancaster, Pa., Wylie & Griest [etc., 1869]- url p. 168.
- The Metaspermae of the Minnesota Valley: a list of the higher seed-producing plants indigenous to the drainage-basin of the Minnesota River / by Conway MacMillan. Minneapolis: Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota, 1892. url p. 698, p. 699, p. 746, p. 766.
- The Metaspermae of the Minnesota valley; a list of the higher seed-producing plants indigenous to the drainage-basin of the Minnesota river. Minneapolis[Harrison & Smith, State Printers]1892 url p. 699, p. 746, p. 766.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url p. 24.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 306, p. 382, p. 502, p. 80.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 156, p. 156, p. 28, p. 28.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 349.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 111, p. 42.
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 122, p. 292.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 39 1958 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 171, p. 18, p. 23, p. 232, p. 258, p. 258, p. 949.
- The University of Missouri studies. Columbia, Mo.: The University, 1905- url p. 29, p. 342.
- The bacteriology of diphtheria, including sections on the history, epidemiology and pathology of the disease, the mortality caused by it, the toxins and antitoxins and the serum disease, by F. Loeffler, Arthur Newsholme, F. B. Mallory, G. S. Graham-Smith, George Dean, William H. Park, Charles F. Bolduan. Ed. by G. H. F. Nuttall and G. S. Graham-Smith Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1913 url p. 230.
- The bogs and bog flora of the Huron River Valley. .. By Edgar Nelson Transeau. [Chicago]The University of Chicago Press url p. 145, p. 149, p. 151.
- The book of the seasons: or, The calendar of nature / by William Howitt. Philadelphia: Carey and Hart, 1842. url p. 221.
- The botanical text-book, an introduction to scientific botany, both structural and systematic. For colleges, schools, and private students. By Asa Gray. New York, Putnam, 1850. url p. 456.
- The butterflies of the eastern United States and Canada: with special reference to New England / By Samuel Hubbard Scudder. Cambridge: The author, 1889. url p. 737.
- The century supplement to the dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / by Geo. Nicholson. .. [et al.]. Hyde Park, Mass.: Geo. T. King; 1901. url p. 77.
- The complete garden, by Albert D. Taylor, assisted by Gordon D. Cooper. Illustrated with fifty full page cuts, four line charts, and nine coloured plates. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1921. url p. 234.
- The complete home landscape, by Arthur J. Jennings, in collaboration with Leonard H. Johnson. New York, A. T. De La Mare, 1924. url p. 132.
- The complete illustrated book of garden magic. Chicago, J.G. Ferguson Pub. Co. url p. 146.
- The constitution and by-laws of the Ann Arbor Scientific Association with the proceedings for the year ending May 1, 1876.. ... Ann Arbor, Courier Steam Printing House, 1876. url p. 104.
- The drug plants of Illinois / Leo R. Tehon; drawings by Kay H. Wadsworth. Urbana, Ill.: Natural History Survey Division, 1951. url p. 123.
- The fishes of Champaign County, Illinois, as affected by 60 years of stream changes [by] R. Weldon Larimore [and] Philip W. Smith. Urbana, State of Illinois Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1963. url p. 313.
- The flora of Boulder, Colorado, and vicinity, by Francis Potter Daniels. .. [Columbia, Mo.]The University of Missouri, 1911. url p. 194.
- The flora of Franklin County [Indiana]. Richmond, 1885-1886 url p. 34.
- The flora of Long Island. Lancaster, Pa.New Era Print., 1899. url .
- The flora of Scott and Muscatine counties. By W.D. Barnes, Fred Reppert [and] A.A. Miller. Davenport, Iowa, 1901 url p. 238.
- The flora of Tennessee and a philosophy of botany: respectfully dedicated to the citizens of Tennessee / by Augustin Gattinger. Nashville: Press of Gospel Advocate Pub. Co., 1901. url p. 138.
- The flora of southwestern Colorado / by T.S. Brandegee. Washington: Dept. of the Interior, U.S. Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories, 1876. url p. 242.
- The flora of the upper Susquehanna and its tributaries / by WJillard Nelson Clute. Binghamton, N.Y.: W.N. Clute, 1898. url p. 74.
- The florist's guide, New York, For sale by the author; Boston, J. Breck & co.; [etc., etc.]1844. url p. 30.
- The florist's guide; containing practical directions for the cultivation of annual, biennial, and perennial flowering plants, of different classes, herbaceous and shrubby, bulbous, fibrous, and tuberous-rooted; including By T. Bridgeman. New York: Printed by A. Hanford, 1847. url p. 30.
- The fruit, flower, and kitchen garden. By Patrick Neill. Adapted to the United States. Philadelphia, H. C. Baird, 1851. url p. 260.
- The gypsy moth. Porthetria dispar (Linn.). A report of the work of destroying the insect in the commonwealth of Massachusetts, together with an account of its history and habits both in Massachusetts and Europe. By Edward H. Forbush. .. and Charles H. Fernald. .. Published under the direction of the State Board of Agriculture by authority of the legislature. Boston, Wright & Potter Printing Co., 1896. url p. 321.
- The journal of the Horticultural Society of London. London, [England]: Published for the Society, by Longman and Co., 1846-1855. url p. 274.
- The life of inland waters: an elementary text book of fresh-water biology for American students / by James G. Needham and J.T. Lloyd. Ithaca: Comstock Pub. Co., 1916. url p. 345, p. 422.
- The life of inland waters; an elementary text book of fresh-water biology for students, by James G. Needham and J. T. Lloyd. Ithaca, New York, Comstock Publishing Co., 1937. url p. 345.
- The natural history and topography of Groton, Massachusetts / by Samuel Abbott Green. .. [Cambridge, J. Wilson and Son]1912-14. url p. 15.
- The natural history of the Toronto region, Ontario, Canada / edited by J.H. Faull. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1913. url p. 130.
- The natural history of the farm: a guide to the practical study of the sources of our living in wild nature / New York: Comstock Pub. Co.[c1914] url .
- The natural history of the farm; a guide to the practical study of the sources of our living in wild nature. Ithaca, N.Y., The Comstock Publishing Company, 1916. url .
- The orchids in the Ottawa District: floristics, phytogeography, population studies and historical review / Joyce M. Reddoch and Allan H. Reddoch. 111 1997 Ottawa, Canada: The Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club,  url p. 138.
- The plant life of Maryland, by Forrest Shreve [et al.] Baltimore, Johns Hopkins Press, 1910. url p. 164, p. 165, p. 173, p. 178, p. 471.
- The plant societies of Chicago and its vicinity. Chicago, The Geographic Society of Chicago url .
- The plants of Michigan; simple keys for the identification of the native seed plants of the state, by Henry Allan Gleason. Ann Arbor, G. Wahr, c1918. url p. 91.
- The plants of Prince Edward Island / Ottawa: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1985. url p. 220.
- The plants of Southern New Jersey with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, N. J., 1911. url , .
- The plants of Southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the Pine Barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 649.
- The plants of southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 649.
- The practical fruit, flower and vegetable gardener's companion with calendar. By Patrick Neill. .. Adapted to the United States New York, C.M. Saxton and Co.[c1855] url p. 250, p. 250.
- The principles and practice of land drainage: embracing a brief history of underdraining; a detailed examination of its operation and advantages: a description of various kinds of drains, with practical directions for their construction: the manu By John H. Klippart. Cincinnati, R. Clarke & co., 1862. url p. 185.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a by L. H. Bailey; illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. . New York, The Macmillan Co.; [etc., etc.]1916-1917 [v.5 1916] url p. 1472.
- The subtropical garden, or, Beauty of form in the flower garden / by W. Robinson London: J. Murray, 1879 url p. 69.
- The subtropical garden: or, Beauty of form in the flower garden / by W. Robinson. London: J. Murray, 1891. url p. 69.
- The wayside flowers of summer: a study of the conspicuous herbaceous plants blooming upon our norther roadsides during the months of July and August / by Harriet L. Keeler; illustrated by Mary Keffer. New York: C. Scribner1917. url p. xix.
- The wayside flowers of summer; a study of the conspicuous herbaceous plants blooming upon our northern roadsides during the months of July and August, by Harriet L. Keeler; illustrated by Mary Keffer. New York, C. Scribner's Sons, 1917. url , p. 285.
- The weed flora of Iowa / [by L. H. Pammel; with the collaboration of Charlotte M. King. .. et al.] Des Moines: Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 462, p. 463.
- The weed flora of Iowa Des Moines, Iowa geological survey, 1913. url , , .
- The weed flora of Iowa. .. Des Moines, Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 462, p. 463, p. 777.
- The wild garden, or the naturalization and natural grouping of hardy exotic plants with a chapter on the garden of British wild flowers. London, J. Murray, 1894. url .
- The wild garden: or, Our groves and gardens made beautiful by the naturalisation of hardy exotic plants; being one way onwards from the dark ages of flower gardening, with suggestions for the regeneration of the bare by W. Robinson; illustrated by Alfred Parsons. London: J. Murray; 1883. url p. 128.
- The young gardener's assistant, in three parts containing catalogues of garden and flower seed, New York, For sale by the author and E. Walker [etc., 1847] url p. 30.
- The young gardener's assistant: in three parts containing catalogues of garden and flower seed, with practical directions under each head for the cultivation of culinary vegetables and flowers; also, directions for cultivating frui by Thomas Bridgeman. New York: For sale by the author, Broadway, corner of Eighteenth Street, 1845 url p. 30.
- Through glade and mead; a contribution to local natural history, Worcester, Mass., Putnam, Davis and Company, [c1894] url .
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 112, p. 125, p. 135, p. 146, p. 171, p. 186, p. 208, p. 209, p. 268, p. 53, p. 60, p. 71, p. 75.
- Transactions of Vassar Brothers Institute, and its Scientific Section. Poughkeepsie, N.Y.: Vassar Brothers Institute, [1883-1896]. url p. 187.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 132, p. 139, p. 139, p. 139, p. 571.
- Transactions of the American Entomological Society Philadelphia: The Society, 1890- url p. 60.
- Transactions of the American Institute of the City of New-York. [S.l.: s.n.], 1852- url p. 445.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 194.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 107, p. 144, p. 147, p. 173, p. 184, p. 23, p. 23, p. 38, p. 43, p. 47, p. 69, p. 80, p. 81.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London, 2nd series: Botany 2 1881-87 London. url p. 193.
- Transactions of the Maryland Academy of Sciences. Baltimore: The Academy, 1901- url p. 59.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 85.
- University studies of the University of Nebraska. Lincoln. url p. 129, p. 80, p. 81, p. 84, p. 98.
- Useful wild plants of the United States and Canada, by Charles Francis Saunders. Illustrated with photographs by the author and with drawings by Lucy Hamilton Aring. New York, R. M. McBride & company, 1934. url p. 215.
- Vascular plants of the Sangamon River basin; annotated checklist and ecological summary [by] Almut G. Jones and David T. Bell. [Urbana], University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Agriculture,  url p. 16, p. 3, p. 8.
- Water-lilies and how to grow them, with chapters on the proper making of ponds and the use of accessory plants, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1907. url p. 209.
- Wayside flowers Series III. Being a description of American wild flowers that bloom in July, August and September / Boston;Taber-Prang Art, c1898. url .
- Weeds of the North Central States. Urbana, Ill: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Agriculture, Agricultural Experiment Station,  url p. 268, p. 299.
- Weeds of the farm and garden, by L. H. Pammel. New York: Orange Judd company; [etc., etc.], 1911. url p. 260.
- What England can teach us about gardening, by Wilhelm Miller. .. illustrated with one hundred and twelve photographic plates and eight plates in color. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page & company, 1911. url p. 292.
- Who's who among the wild flowers / compiled and illustrated by W. I. Beecroft; with an introd. by Frances Duncan. New York: Moffat, Yard, 1910. url p. 242, p. 346.
- Who's who among the wild flowers; comp. and illustrated by W. I. Beecroft, with an introduction by Frances Duncan. New York, Moffat, Yard and company, 1910. url p. 242, p. 346.
- Wild flowers every child should know: arranged according to color with reliable descriptions of the more common species of the United States and Canada / by Frederic William Stack. New York: Doubleday, Page and Company, 1909. url p. 396, p. 78.
- Wild flowers of New York, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1918. url , p. 222, p. 222, p. 223, p. 336.
- Wild flowers; New York, Macmillan Co., 1934. url , .
- Tsiang Ying & Li Ping-tao. 1977. Apocynaceae. Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 63: 1-249.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed March 27, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed November 25, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 6 providers.
- Light, Kris. East Tennessee Wildflowers
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- The International Plant Names Index. Accessed Jan 19, 2007.
- USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN) [Online Database]. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. URL (April 26, 2008)
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 25, 2007:
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University, Arizona State University Vascular Plant Herbarium
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- Utah Valley State College
- , Utah Valley State College Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2653378
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-30241
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2490700
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:94351-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 4472
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 30241
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 94350-1
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PDASC020U0
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: ASPU13 ASI
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 22605
- Bingtao Li, Antony J. M. Leeuwenberg & David J. Middleton "Apocynaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 16 Page 143. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Asclepias". in Flora of China Vol. 16 Page 203. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 319.850 meters (1,049.377 feet), Standard Deviation = 286.070 based on 1,078 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]