Grass . Giant reed is a perennial grass which has been widely introduced into primarily riparian zones and wetlands in subtropical and temperate areas of the world. Once established , it forms dense, homogenous stands at the expense of native plant species, altering the habitat of the local wildlife. It is also both a fire and flood hazard.
- The culms have many uses, including light construction, basket making, matting, musical pipes, and ornaments. [source]
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Arabic:
Ghâb Baladî, Ghâb Rûmî
Common Names in Chinese:
Dong Mi Cao, Lü Zhu, Lu Zhu, Lu Zhu (Medicinal Name), Lu Zhu (Taiwan)
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in Dutch:
Italiaans Riet, Spaans Riet
Common Names in English:
Giant Reed, Arundo, Arundo Grass, Bamboo Reed, Cane, Cow Cane, Donax Cane, Giant Cane, Giant-Reed, Giantreed, Reed Grass, Reedgrass, River Cane, Spaanse-Riet, Spanish Cane, Spanish Reed, Spanish-Reed
Common Names in Fijian:
Ngasau Ni Vavalangi
Common Names in French:
Canne De Provence, Grand Roseau
Common Names in German:
Pfahlrohr, Riesenschilf, Spanisches Rohr
Common Names in Hindi:
Common Names in Italian:
Canna Comune, Canna Di Provenza
Common Names in Japanese:
Dan Chiku, Yoshi Take
Common Names in Nepalese:
(Thuulo Narakata) Thulo Narkat
Common Names in Portuguese:
Cana Palustre, Cana-Do-Brejo, Cana-Do-Reino, Canno Do Reino, Canno-Do-Reino, Capim-Plumoso
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Spanish:
Caña Común, Caña De Castilla, Cana, Carrizo Grande
Common Names in Thai:
Species Arundo donax
reed from a thick knotty rhizome. Culms
very stout, erect
tall, 1-1.5 cm in diam., unbranched or with bamboolike clusters
of slender branches from nodes. Leaf sheaths
except long pilose
; leaf blades 30-60 ×
2-5 cm, margins
, tapering to a slender filiform
Panicle 30-60 cm, dense, usually purplish; branches 10-25
10-15 mm, florets
8-12 mm, 3-5-veined, lower glume acute, upper glume sharply acuminate;
lemmas linear-lanceolate, 8-11 mm, 3-7-veined, dorsal hairs
apex minutely bidentate
with 1-2 mm awnlet from sinus
also shortly extended; palea 1/2 length
of lemma body. Fl.
Forms with variegated leaf blades are sometimes cultivated in gar-dens, e.g. , var. versicolor (Miller) Stokes (Arundo versicolor Miller), with longitudinally green- and white-striped leaf blades. Arundo donax var. coleotricha refers to a wild variant with pubescent leaf sheaths. [source]
Habit: Subshrub , Shrub
Flowers: Bloom Period: July, August. • Flower Color: cream, tan
Size: 12-15' tall.
banks and other damp places, but it will also grow when planted
in dryish habitats
. Fujian, Guangdong, Guizhou, Hainan, Hunan, Jiangsu,
Sichuan, Xizang, Yunnan, Zhejiang [Afghanistan, Bhutan, Cambodia,
India, Indonesia, Japan, Kazakhstan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal,
Pakistan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Vietnam;
N Africa, C and SW Asia, S Europe; widely introduced
Invades riparian zones of low-gradient rivers and along ditches, and some wetlands and coastal marshlands. Once established , it can form huge clones, sometimes covering hundreds of acres . In Hawai'i, it naturalizes in coastal areas, often in thickets (Wagner et al, 1990). In Fiji, it is widespread on hillsides, in open forest , and along roadsides, up to about 200 m (Smith, 1979).
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 4,653 meters (0 to 15,266 feet).
Ecology: Displaces native riparian vegetation and provides poor habitat for terrestrial insects and wildlife. Traps sediments and narrows flood channel , leading to erosion and overbank flooding. Promotes wildfire and debris blocks streamflow and damages bridges .May reduce water availablility through high evapotranspiration.
Culture: Space 12-15' apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 6.1 • Maximum pH: 7.8
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b. (map)
- Vascular Plants
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Dicotyledons
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Vascular Plants
Arundo L. • Arundo Linnaeus • Arundo versicolor P. Mill.
Members of the genus Arundo
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 13 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
A. canadensis (Canadian Giant Reed) · A. donax (Giant Reed) · A. donax var. donax (Giant Reed) · A. donax 'Macrophylla' (Giant Reed) · A. donax 'Variegata' (Variegata Striped Giant Reed) · A. donax 'Versicolor' (White-Striped Leaf Giant Reed) · A. epigeios (Chee Reed Grass) · A. formosana (Taiwan Grass) · A. formosana 'Golden Fountain' (Taiwan Grass) · A. formosana 'Green Fountain' (Taiwan Grass) · A. isiaca (Persian Cane) · A. phragmites (Giant Reed) · A. plinii (Dwarf Reed)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Directory of Neotropical Wetlands. IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 505, p. 564.
- A catalogue of the Coccidæ of the world. [By] Mrs. Maria E. Fernald, A.M. Amherst, Mass., Carpenter & Morehouse, 1903. url p. 210.
- A companion for the Queensland student of plant life. Brisbane, James C. Beal, govt. printer, 1893. url .
- A descriptive catalogue of useful fiber plants of the world: including the structural and economic classifications of fibers / by Charles Richards Dodge. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1897. url p. 106, p. 14, p. 70.
- A discussion of Australian forestry: with special references to forestry in Western Australia, the necessity of an Australian forest policy, and notices of organised forestry in other parts of the world / by D. E. Hutchins. Perth, F. W. Simpson, government printer, 1916. url p. 129.
- A flora of California, by Willis Linn Jepson. San Francisco, Calif., Cunningham, Curtis & Welch, 1909- url p. 140, p. 140.
- A garden diary, September 1899-September 1900 / by Emily Lawless. London: Methuen, 1901. url p. 51, p. 82.
- A garden diary: September 1899-September 1900 / London: Methuen & Co., 1901. url , .
- A handbook of systematic botany; with a revision of the fungi, by E. Knoblauch; tr. and ed. by M.C. Potter. London, Swan url p. 296.
- A history of the birds of Europe, not observed in the British Isles / by C. R. Bree. London: G. Bell & Sons, 1875-1876. url p. 120, p. 148.
- A manual of the grasses of New South Wales by J.H. Maiden. Sydney: W.A. Gullick, 1898. url p. 169.
- A natural history of British grasses. London, Groombridge, 1858. url , p. ii.
- A note-book of agricultural facts and figures comp. by R. Cecil Wood. .. Madras, Govt. Press, 1920. url p. 322, p. 377.
- A partial list of plants available for various uses in general landscape planting, comp. by Albert D. Taylor. Cleveland, A.D. Taylor, c1916 url p. 47, p. 47.
- A practical handbook of trees, shrubs, vines and herbaceous perennials, Boston, Mass., The Bullard company[c1912] url .
- A sketch of Madeira: containing information for the traveller, or invalid visitor / by Edward Vernon Harcourt. London: John Murray, 1851. url p. 138, p. 92.
- A supplement to the Pharmacopia, and treatise on pharmacology in general: including not only the drugs and preparations used by practitioners of medicine, but also most of those employed in the chemical arts: together with a collection of the most useful medical formulæ. . by Samuel Frederic Gray. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman, 1836. url p. 18.
- A voyage to China and the East Indies, by Peter Osbeck. Together with A Voyage to Suratte, by Olof Toreen and an account of the Chinese husbandry, by Captain Charles Gustavus Eckeberg. Tr. from the German, by John Reinhold Forster, F. A. S London, B. White, 1771. url p. 29, p. 55.
- About trees, shrubs, and climbing plants for South Africa; concise hints on the making of farm plantations, shrubberies. .. Maritzburg, 1919. url p. 103, p. 116, p. 117, p. 99.
- Agriculture of North Carolina, part II: containing a statement of the principles of the science upon which the practices of agriculture as an art are founded / by Ebenezer Emmons. Raleigh: W.W. Holden, Printer to the State, 1860. url p. 114.
- Agriculture, Tehuacan Valley. 31 1965 [Chicago]Chicago Natural History Museum, 1965. url fig. 17 , p. 71.
- Allan Hancock Pacific expeditions. [Reports] Los Angeles, University of Southern California Press. url p. 79.
- American grasses / Washington: Gov. Print. Off., 1897-1901. url p. 195.
- An economic study of acacias. By Charles Howard Shinn. .. [Washington, Govt. print. off.]1913. url p. 36.
- An encyclopaedia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. London, Printed for Longman, Ross, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1828. url p. 870.
- An encyclopædia of agriculture: comprising the theory and practice of the valuation, transfer, laying out, improvement, and management of landed property; and the cultivation and economy of the animal and vegetable productions of ag By J. C. Loudon. London: Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1826. url p. 54.
- An encyclopædia of gardening; comprising the theory and practice of horticulture, floriculture, arboriculture, and landscape-gardening, including all the latest improvements; a general history of gardening in all countries; and a By J.C. Loudon. .. illustrated with many hundred engravings on wood by Branston. London: Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1827. url p. 870.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 87.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 1363, p. 222, p. 99.
- An illustrated flora of the Pacific States: Washington, Oregon, and California. Stanford University, Stanford University Press, 1923- url p. 183.
- An introduction to the natural system of botany: or, A systematic view of the organization, natural affinities, and geographical distribution of the whole vegetable kingdom; together with the uses of the most important species in medicine, the arts, By John Lindley. New York, G. & C. & H. Carvill, 1831. url p. 297.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 125, p. 171, p. 171, p. 230, p. 300, p. 439, p. 98.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 8 1897 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 165.
- Annual report of the Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station. [S.l.: s.n.], 1907-1925. url p. 13.
- Annual report of the secretary of the State Pomological Society of Michigan. Lansing: The Society, 1874-1880. url p. 119.
- Aquatic and wetland plants of southwestern United States, by Donovan S. Correll and Helen B. Correll. [Washington]Environmental Protection Agency; [For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1972. url p. 204.
- Aspects of nature, in different lands and different climates with scientific elucidations / by Alexander von Humboldt; translated by Mrs. Sabine. London: J. Murray: 1849. url p. 28.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 47 - 51 1980 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 29.
- Beeton's Dictionary of everyday gardening. .. to which is added a monthly calendar of garden work throughout the year. London, Ward, Lock, 1909. url p. 20.
- Biltmore Nursery, Biltmorse, N.C. [North Carolina?: The Nursery?], c1912 url p. 103.
- Biosphere Reserves, Compilation 4, October 1986: programme on man and the biosphere (MAB) IUCN Conservation Monitoring Centre url p. 460.
- Botanic drugs, their materia medica, pharmacology, and therapeutics, by Thomas S. Blair. Cincinnati, O.: The Therapeutic digest publishing co., 1917. url p. 341.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 332.
- Botanical publications of E.D. Merrill. [New York, etc., 1899- url p. 87.
- Botany; containing a catalogue of the indigenous and naturalized plants of the state, Raleigh, Printed at N. C. Institution for the deaf and dumb and blind, 1867. url .
- Bramble-bees and others, by J. Henri Fabre; tr. by Alexander Teixeira de Mattos. .. New York, Dodd, Mead and Company, 1915. url p. 55.
- Bramble-bees and others. Translated by Alexander Teixeira de Mattos. New YorkDodd, Mead1915 url p. 55.
- British bee journal & bee-keepers adviser. London. url p. 104.
- British fungus-flora. A classified text-book of mycology. London, G. Bell & Sons, 1892-95. url .
- Building salt marshes along the coasts of the continental United States / by W. W. Woodhouse. Ft. Belvoir, Va.: U.S. Army, Corps of Engineers, Coastal Engineering Research Center, 1979. url p. 47.
- Bulletin - Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station. Amherst, : Massachusetts Agricultural Experiment Station, 1907-1974. url p. 13.
- Bulletin / Chicago Natural History Museum. [Chicago, Ill.]: The Museum, [1944-1966] url p. 5.
- Bulletin / Department of Agriculture, Forestry Division. Washington: G.P.O., url p. 20, p. 29.
- Bulletin / Hatch Experiment Station of the Massachusetts Agricultural College. [S.l.: s.n.], 1888- url p. 210.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 108, p. 18, p. 212, p. 217, p. 250, p. 251, p. 267, p. 287, p. 290, p. 295, p. 43, p. 467, p. 470, p. 475, p. 478, p. 491, p. 5, p. 80, p. 85, p. 97.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1913. url p. 11.
- Bulletin / United States Department of Agriculture, Division of Agrostology. Washington, D.C.: The Division, 1895-1901. url p. 18, p. 18, p. 195, p. 25, p. 7.
- Bulletin of entomological research. Farnham Royal: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux. url p. 30, p. 476.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1950-1977. url p. 383.
- Bulletin of the Natural History Museum. London: The Natural History Museum, c1993-2002. url p. 141.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences. Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1902-1971. url p. 10.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 38, p. 60, p. 62, p. 64.
- Bulletin. Bureau of Plant Industry. U. S. Department of Agriculture. 1901-13. WashingtonGovt. Print. Off. url p. 14.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url , .
- Carbon and the biosphere; proceedings of the 24th Brookhaven symposium in biology, Upton, N.Y., May 16-18, 1972. Editors: George M. Woodwell [and] Erene V. Pecan. [Washington]Technical Information Center, U.S. Atomic Energy Commission; [available from National Technical Information Service, Springfield, Va.]1973. url p. 312.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 2, p. 204, p. 274.
- Catalog of hymenoptera in America north of Mexico / prepared cooperatively by specialists on the various groups of Hymenoptera under the direction of Karl V. Krombein. .. [et al.]. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1979- url .
- Catalogue of rare water lilies and other choice aquatic plants, Trenton, N.J., MacCrellish & Quigley, printers, 1885. url p. 24.
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 46, p. 592, p. 904.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 592, p. 904.
- Catalogue of the coleopterous insects of the Canaries, in the collection of the British museum. By T. Vernon Wollaston. London: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1864. url p. 216, p. 394.
- Catalogue of the collections in the museum of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain compiled by E.M. Holmes. London, The Society, 1878. url p. 154.
- Chamber's encyclopaedia, a dictionary of universal knowledge. London, Chambers, 1902. url p. 607.
- Circular / United States Department of Agriculture, Division of Agrostology. Washington, D.C.: The Division, 1895-1901. url p. 9.
- Coleoptera Atlantidum, being an enumeration of the coleopterous insects of the Madeiras, Salvages, and Canaries. London, Van Voorst, 1865. url p. 193, p. 256, p. 300, p. 301, p. 353, p. 434, p. 455.
- Contribution [I]-III to the coastal and plain flora of Yucatan, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh. 1 1895 Chicago, 1895-1898. url p. vi.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 46 2003 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 113, p. 114, p. 115, p. 169, p. 184, p. 185, p. 214, p. 345, p. 355, p. 386, p. 396, p. 399, p. 402, p. 414, p. 418, p. 420, p. 422, p. 422, p. 424, p. 427, p. 432, p. 434, p. 436, p. 446, p. 447, p. 449, p. 451, p. 452, p. 456, p. 460, p. 463, p. 497, p. 527, p. 530, p. 539, p. 543, p. 569, p. 581, p. 66, p. 708, p. 748, p. 89, p. 93, p. V, p. VIII.
- Conversations on nature and art. Philadelphia: Lea & Blanchard, 1839. url p. 153.
- Dictionary of biological equivalents, German-English, by Ernst Artschwager. .. Baltimore, The Williams & Wilkins company, 1930. url p. 161.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 420, p. 568.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 4.
- Establishment of vegetation for shoreline stabilization in Galveston Bay / by J.D. Dodd and J.W. Webb. Fort Belvoir, Va.: Coastal Engineering Research Center, 1975. url p. 18, p. 19, p. 20.
- Every woman her own flower gardener. New York, H. T. Williams, 1876. url p. 14.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 1124, p. 365, p. 607.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 225.
- Family #15, Gramineae / Richard W. Pohl. 4 1980 [Chicago]: Field Museum of Natural History, 1980. url fig. 17 , p. 10, p. 14, p. 597, p. 65, p. 66.
- Farmer's cyclopedia: a compilation of such bulletins and reports as are indispensable to the practical farmer. Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1914. url p. 127.
- Flora Vitiensis nova: a new Flora of Fiji (spermatophytes only) / Albert C. Smith. Lawaii, Hawaii: Pacific Tropical Botanical Garden, 1979- url p. 291, p. 299, p. 300.
- Flora calpensis; contributions to the botany and topography of Gibraltar, and its neighbourhood. By E. F. Kelaart. London, J. van Voorst, 1846. url p. 183.
- Flora of Japan: in English: combined, much revised and extended translation / by the author of his Flora of Japan (1953) and Flora of Japan, Pteridophyta (1957); edited by Frederick G. Meyer and Egbert H. Walker. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965. url p. 170, p. 2.
- Flora of Los Angeles and vicinity / by LeRoy Abrams. Stanford University, Cal. 1917. url p. 40.
- Flora of Los Angeles and vicinity, by LeRoy Abrams. Stanford University, Cal., Stanford University Press, 1911. url p. 44.
- Flora of New Mexico / by E.O. Wooton and Paul C. Standley. Washington: G.P.O., 1915. url p. 89.
- Flora of New Mexico. By E.O. Wooton and Paul C. Standley. WashingtonGovt. Print. Off.1915 url p. 89.
- Flora of Peru... by J. Francis Macbride. 13 1936 Chicago, 1936- url p. 19.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. 2 1934 [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 242.
- Florigraphia Britannica; or, Engravings and descriptions of the flowering plants & ferns of Britain. London, R. Groombridge, 1841-48. url p. 148.
- Florigraphia britannica, or, Engravings and descriptions of the flowering plants and ferns of Britain / by Richard Deakin. London: Groombridge, 1857. url p. 148.
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url , , , , , p. 351.
- Forest leaves. Philadelphia: Pennsylvania Forestry Association, 1886-1950. url , .
- Forestry. London: W. Rider, [1883-1886]. url p. 405.
- Fungi: their nature and uses / edited by M.J. Berkeley. New York: Appleton, 1888. url p. 217.
- Fungi; their nature and uses. By M.C. Cooke. .. edited by the Rev. M.J. Berkeley. .. New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1875. url p. 217.
- Fungi; their nature and uses. New York, D. Appleton and Co., 1875. url .
- Fungi; their nature, influence, and uses; New York, D. Appleton and Co., 1888. url .
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url , , p. 279, p. 315, p. 337, p. 338, p. 347, p. 355, p. 390, p. 424, p. 426, p. 45, p. 457, p. 477, p. 484, p. 497, p. 516, p. 68, p. 7.
- Garden planning, by W. S. Rogers; illustrated by the author. Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & company, 1911. url p. 327.
- Garden trees and shrubs illustrated in colour. By Walter P. Wright. London: Headley brothers,  url p. 192.
- Gardening in California, landscape and flower, by John McLaren... San Francisco, A.M. Robertson, 1909. url p. 213, p. 213, p. 214, p. 214.
- Gardening in Egypt: a handbook of gardening for Lower Egypt, by Walter Draper. .. London, L.U. Gill, 1895. url p. 104, p. 88.
- Gardening. Chicago, the Gardening Co., 1892-1925. url , , p. 114, p. 18, p. 22, p. 355, p. 67.
- Genesee farmer. Rochester, N.Y.: B.F. Smith & Co., [1845-1865] url p. 62.
- Gleanings from French gardens: comprising an account of such features of French horticulture as are most worthy of adoption in British gardens. London, F. Warne;1868. url .
- Gleanings from French gardens; comprising an account of such features of French horticulture as are most worthy of adoption in British gardens. By W. Robinson. London: F. Warne and co.;1868. url p. 36, p. 37.
- Grasses of North America / by W.J. Beal. New York: H. Holt, 1887-1896. url p. 318, p. 438, p. 99.
- Grasses of North America chapters on the physiology, composition, selection, improving and cultivation of grasses, management of grass lands, also chapters on clovers, injurious insects and fungi / by W.J. Beal. New York: H. Holt, 1896, c1887. url p. 438.
- Grasses of North America for farmers and students. .. / by W.J. Beal. Lansing: W.J. Beal, 1887-1896. url p. 318, p. 438, p. 99.
- Grasses of North America. .. by W. J. Beal. New York: H. Holt and company, 1887-96. url p. 318, p. 438.
- Grasses of the West Indies. By A. S. Hitchcock and Agnes Chase. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1917. url p. 386, p. 402, p. 414, p. 420, p. 422, p. 424, p. 427, p. 432, p. 436, p. 447, p. 449, p. 463.
- Grasses of the West Indies. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1917. url p. 386, p. 402, p. 414, p. 418, p. 420, p. 422, p. 424, p. 427, p. 432, p. 436, p. 447, p. 449, p. 460, p. 463.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1987 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 700, p. 759.
- Greenhouse & stove plants; flowering and fine-leaved, palms, ferns, and lycopodiums, with full details of the propagation and cultivation of 500 families of plants, embracing all the best kinds in cultivation, suitable for grow London, J. Murray, 1885. url p. 54.
- Greenhouse and stove plants, flowering and fine-leaved, palms, ferns, and lycopodiums, with full details of the propagation and cultivation of 500 families of plants: embracing all the best kinds in cultivation, suitable for growing in the greenhouse, intermediate house, and stove / by Thomas Baines. London: J. Murray, 1894. url p. 54.
- Guayule (Parthenium argentatum Gray), a rubber-plant of the Chihuahuan Desert, by Francis Ernest Lloyd. .. Washington, D.C.: Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1911. url p. 204, p. 204.
- Handbook of grasses, treating of their structure, classification, geographical distribution and uses, also describing the British species and their habitats. London, Macmillan, 1910. url .
- Handy book of horticulture; an introduction to the theory and practice of gardening. London, Murray, 1901. url p. 107.
- Henderson's Handbook of plants and general horticulture / By Peter Henderson. New York, P. Henderson & Co., 1910. url p. 175.
- History of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. 1829-1878. Boston, The Society, 1880. url p. 398.
- History of the Massachusetts horticultural society. Boston, The Society, 1880. url p. 398.
- Horticulture. Boston, Mass.: Horticulture Pub. Co., c1904- url p. 38, p. 506.
- How to know the grasses; pictured-keys for determining the common and important American grasses, with suggestions and aids for their study. Dubuque, Iowa, W. C. Brown Co. url p. 24.
- How to make a country place; an account of the successes and the mistakes of an amateur in thirty-five years of farming, building and development: together with a practical plan for securing a home and an independent income, star New York, Orange Judd company; [etc., etc.]1914. url p. 366.
- IUCN Directory of South Asian Protected Areas IUCN url p. 115.
- Ibis. [London]Published for the British Ornithologists' Union by Academic Press. url p. 52, p. 96.
- Illinois Natural History Survey bulletin. Champaign, Ill.: The Survey, 1987- url p. 292.
- In a Gloucestershire garden. London, E. Arnold, 1896. url , p. 232, p. 232, p. 299.
- In my vicarage garden and elsewhere, London, J. Lane, 1902. url , .
- Inland wetlands of the United States: evaluated as potential registered natural landmarks / Richard H. Goodwin, William A. Niering. [Washington]: National Park Service: may be purchased from the Supt. of Docs., Govt. Print. Off., 1975. url p. 72.
- Insecta maderensia; being an account of the insects of the islands of the Madeiran group. By T. Vernon Wollaston. London, J. Van Voorst, 1854. url p. 442.
- J.M. Nickell's botanical ready reference: especially designed for druggists and physicians: containing all of the botanical drugs known up to the present time, giving their medical properties, and all of their botanical, common, pharmacopoea compiled by J. M. Nickell. Chicago: Murray & Nickell Mfg. Co., 1911. url p. 148.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 700.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 10 1990 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 124, p. 224, p. 269, p. 294, p. 318.
- Journal of the Department of Agriculture, Union of South Africa. Pretoria, Govt. Print. and Stationery Off., 1921-1927. url p. 205.
- Kulturpflanzen und Hausthiere in ihrem Übergang aus Asien nach Griechenland und Italien sowie in das übrige Europa; historisch-linguistische Skizzen von Victor Hehn. Berlin, Gebrüder Borntraeger, 1902. url p. 303, p. 305, p. 306, p. 307.
- Landscape gardening as applied to home decoration. By Samuel T. Maynard. New York: J. Wiley & sons, [etc., etc.], 1899. url p. 260.
- Landscape gardening. New York [etc.]G. P. Putnam's sons, 1891. url .
- Landscape gardening. Notes and suggestions on lawns and lawn planting--laying out and arrangement of country places, large and small parks, cemetery plots, and railway-station lawns--deciduous and evergreen trees and shru By Samuel Parsons jr. .. New York [etc.]: G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1891. url , p. 242.
- Lectures on the elements of botany. Part I. Containing the descriptive anatomy of those organs, on which the growth and preservation of the vegetable depend. By Anthony Todd Thomson, F. L. S.. .. Vol. I. London, Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme and Brown, 1822. url p. 288.
- List of intercepted plant pests / United States Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine and Control Administration. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O.], 1932- url p. 10, p. 117.
- Loudon's encyclopaedia of plants; comprising the specific character, description, culture, history, application in the arts, and every other desirable particular respecting all the plants indigenous to, cultivated in, or introduced in Edited by Mrs. Loudon, assisted by George Don and David Wooster. London, Longmans, Green, 1866. url p. 61.
- Making a water garden, New York, McBride, Nast & company, 1913. url p. 26.
- Manual of the grasses of the United States / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington: U.S. G.P.O., 1935. url p. 187, p. 189, p. 191, p. 5, p. 803.
- Medical mycology; fungous diseases of men and other mammals, by Carroll William Dodge. .. St. Louis, The C.V. Mosby company, 1935. url p. 26.
- Meehan's monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany, and kindred subjects. Phila., PA: T. Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url , .
- Meehans' monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany and kindred subjects / conducted by Thomas Meehan. Philadelphia: Thomas Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url p. 137.
- Memoirs of the San Diego Society of Natural History. 13 1984 San Diego, Calif.: The Society, 1931-1989. url figs. 6-7, page 18, p. 21, figs. 5-6, page 22.
- Memoirs relating to European and Asiatic Turkey and other countries of the East: edited from manuscript journals / London: Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme and Brown. .., 1818. url p. 605.
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 54.
- Miscellaneous studies in agriculture and biology. BerkeleyUniversity of California Press1919 url p. 23, p. 23, p. 24.
- Monograph of the Coccidæ of the British Isles. By Robert Newstead. London, Printed for the Ray society, 1901-03. url p. 10, p. 261.
- My garden, by Louise Beebe Wilder. .. illustrated by Will Simmons. Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page & company, [c1916] url p. 282, p. 282.
- My garden, its plan and culture together with a general description of its geology, botany, and natural history, London, Bell and Daldy, 1872. url , .
- Narrative of the voyage of H. M. S. Rattlesnake, commanded by the late Captain Owen Stanley. .. during the years 1846-50. .. To which is added Mr. E. B. Kennedy's expedition for the exploration of the Cape York Peninsula. By John Macgillivray. .. London, T. & W. Boone, 1852. url p. 115.
- Narrative of the voyage of H.M.S. Rattlesnake, commanded by the late Captain Owen Stanley during the years 1846-50: to which is added Mr. E.B. Kennedy's expedition for the exploration of the Cape York Peninsula / London: T. & W. Boone, 1852. url .
- Natural history of the Tres Marias Islands, Mexico. Prepared under the direction of C. Hart Merriam. Washington: Govt. Print. Off., 1899. url p. 91.
- Natural history. New York url p. 105.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 698.
- Nature Reserves of the Himalaya and the Mountains of Central Asia IUCN url p. 174, p. 216, p. 462.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 169.
- New manual of botany. A handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the central and northeastern United States and adjacent Canada, rearr. and extensively rev. by Benjamin Lincoln Robinson and Merritt Lyndon Fernald. New YorkAmerican Book Co.[c1908] url p. 148.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 22, p. 84, p. 91.
- Notes by a naturalist on the "Challenger", being an account of various observations made during the voyage of H.M.S. "Challenger" around the world, in the years 1872-1876, under the commands of Capt. Sir G. S. Nares and Capt. F. T. Thomson. By H. N. Moseley. London, Macmillan and co., 1879. url p. 33, p. 607.
- Occasional papers of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, url p. 55.
- Official guide to the Botanic Gardens, Dominica: illustrated: with an index of the principal plants. Dominica: The Garden, 1922? url .
- Ornamental gardening in Florida, by Charles Torrey Simpson; a treatise on the decorative plants adapted to Florida and their cultivation, with suggestions for the ornamentation of Florida homes and grounds. Little River, Fla., The author, 1916. url p. 188, p. 188, p. 52, p. 52.
- Oxford gardens, based upon Daubeny's Popular guide to the physick garden of Oxford: with notes on the gardens of the colleges and on the University park, by R. T. Günther. Oxford: Parker & son; [etc., etc.], 1912. url p. 99.
- Pamphlets on forestry in California. [1900?- url p. 71.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 122, p. 174, p. 216, p. 219, p. 328, p. 441, p. 484.
- Planning your garden, by W. S. Rogers; illustrated by the author. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, 1923. url p. 283.
- Plant Form OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS url p. 181, p. 182, p. 323.
- Plant culture; a working hand-book of every day practice for all who grow flowering and ornamental plants in the garden and greenhouse, by George W. Oliver. New York, A. T. De La Mare Printing and Publishing Co., c1912. url , p. 135, p. 135.
- Plant culture; a working handbook of every day practice for all who grow flowering and ornamental plants in the garden and greenhouse. New York, A. T. De La Mare Printing and Publishing Co., 1900. url p. 188, p. 92.
- Popular gardening and fruit growing; An illustrated periodical devoted to horticulture in all its branches. Buffalo, New York;Popular gardening publishing company. url p. 143.
- Pot-pourri from a Surrey garden / by Mrs. C. W. Earle; with an appendix by Lady Constance Lytton. London: Smith, Elder, 1897. url p. 119.
- Pot-pourri from a Surrey garden, New York, E. P. Dutton, 1898. url , .
- Pot-pourri from a Surrey garden, by Mrs. C. W. Earle. With an appendix by Lady Constance Lytton. New York, E.P. Dutton, 1898. url p. 119, p. 367.
- Practical physiology of plants, Cambridge, University press, 1901 url p. 23, p. 327.
- Practical physiology of plants, by Francis Darwin. .. and the late E. Hamilton Acton. Cambridge, University press, 1901. url p. 23, p. 327.
- Prince's select catalogue of the unrivaled collection of roses, carnations, chrysanthemums, phlox, iris, double sweet williams, hollyhocks: and other herbaceous flowering plants, Linn©an Botanic Gardens and Nurseries, Flushing, Long Island, N.Y. / William R. Prince & Co. New York: Baker and Godwin, 1857. url p. 40.
- Proceedings and transactions of the British Entomological and Natural History Society. London, British Entomological and Natural History Society. url p. 31.
- Proceedings of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Boston: Metcalf and Co., 1846-1958 url p. 476.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 477.
- Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco: California Academy of Sciences, 1979- url p. 291.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 170, p. 262, p. 264, p. 28, p. 868.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url , p. 124, p. 151, p. 153, p. 154, p. 156, p. 159, p. 783.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 1022, p. 136, p. 826.
- Proceedings of the annual convention of the society of American Florists. Boston [etc.]Society of American Florists and Ornamental Horticulturalists. url p. 49, p. 61.
- Protected Landscapes: experience around the world. Prepared for the International Symposium on Protected Landscapes, Grange-over-Sands, England 5-10 October 1987 IUCN url p. 242.
- Publication / Institute of Social Anthropology. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1944- url p. 162, p. 23, p. 43.
- Report of the proceedings of the third entomological meeting: held at Pusa on the 3rd to 15th February 1919 / edited by T. Bainbrigge Fletcher. Calcutta: Supt. of Government Printing, 1920. url p. 285.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. 1 1885 Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 177.
- Reports on the herbaceous plants and on the quadrupeds of Massachusetts: published agreeably to an order of the Legislature by the Commissioners on the Zoological and Botanical Survey of the State. Cambridge: Folsom, Wells, and Thurston, 1840. url p. 238.
- Residential sites and environments; their conveniences, gardens, parks, planting, etc. New York, A.T. Delamare Print. and Pub. Co., 1898. url p. 113, p. 69, p. 79.
- Riviera nature notes / a popular account of the more striking plants and animals of the Riviera and the Maritime Alps. London: Bernard Quaritch, 1903. url , p. 383.
- Seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1903-1913. url p. 14, p. 47, p. 55.
- Shoreline plant establishment and use of a wave-stilling device / by J.W. Webb and J.D. Dodd; prepared for U.S. Army, Corps of Engineers, Coastal Engineering Research Center. Fort Belvoir, Va.: Available from National Technical Information Service,  url p. 7.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 137 1959 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 210.
- Some account of the fauna and flora of Sinai, Petra, and Wa?dy 'Arabah, London, Pub. for the Committee of the Palestine exploration fund by A. P. Watt, 1891. url , .
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 189, p. 393.
- Text-book of pastoral and agricultural botany, for the study of the injurious and useful plants of country and farm, by John W. Harshberger. .. with 121 illustrations. Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Son & Co., [c1920] url p. 129.
- Textbook of botany [by] F.N. Transeau. .. H.C. Sampson. .. [and] L.H. Tiffany. .. New York, Harper & brothers[c1940] url p. 694.
- Textbook of pastoral and agricultural botany, for the study of the injurious and useful plants of country and farm, by John W. Harshberger. .. with 121 illustrations. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co.[c1920] url p. 129, p. 129.
- Textbook of theoretical botany, by R. C. McLean and W. R. Ivimey-Cook. London, Longmans, Green[1951- url p. 2075, p. 2186.
- The American botanist and florist, including lessons in the structure, life growth of plants, together with a simple analytical flora, descriptive of the native and cultivated plants growing in the Atlantic division of the American uni New York, Barnes[n.d.] url p. 398.
- The American botanist and florist: including lessons in the structure, life, and growth of plants: together with a simple analytical flora, descriptive of the native and cultivated plants growing in the Atlantic division of the Americ by Alphonso Wood. New York: A. S. Barnes, 1877, c1870. url p. 398.
- The American farmer's encyclopedia: embracing all the recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry, and the use of mineral, vegetable and animal manures, with descriptions and figures of American insects, injurious to vegetation. Being by Gouverneur Emerson, of Pennsylvania, upon the basis of Johnson's Farmer's encyclopedia. New York: A.O. Moore, Agricultural Book Publisher, 1858, [c1857] url p. 114.
- The American farmer's encyclopedia; embracing all the recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry, New York, A. O. Moore, 1858. url p. 114.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url , p. 1094, p. 1111, p. 1281, p. 144, p. 168, p. 17, p. 21, p. 245, p. 290, p. 330, p. 357, p. 380, p. 380, p. 381, p. 404, p. 404, p. 41, p. 412, p. 426, p. 445, p. 446, p. 452, p. 463, p. 473, p. 487, p. 49, p. 501, p. 535, p. 559, p. 583, p. 654, p. 678, p. 788, p. 82, p. 834.
- The Avicultural magazine. Ascot, Berkshire, etc.: Avicultural Society, etc. url p. 243.
- The California horticulturist and floral magazine. San Francisco, Calif.: F.A. Miller & Co., 1870- url p. 157, p. 164, p. 287.
- The Canadian horticulturist [monthly] St. Catharines, E.S. Leavenworth. url p. 106, p. 77.
- The Canadian horticulturist. St. Catherines [Ont.]: Fruit Growers' Association of Ontario url p. 106.
- The Coccidae, Urbana, Ill., Scarab company, 1921. url p. 466.
- The Coccidae, tables for the identification of the subfamilies and some of the more important genera and species, together with discussions of their anatomy and life history, by Alex. D. MacGillivray. .. Urbana, Ill., Scarab, 1921. url p. 466.
- The Cottage gardener. [London: W.S. Orr, url , p. 373.
- The English flower garden and home grounds: design and arrangement followed by a description of the plants, shrubs and trees for the open-air garden and their culture / by W. Robinson. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1921. url p. 170.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url p. 12.
- The Entomologist. London: Simpkin, Marshall & Co., [1877- url p. 90, p. 90.
- The Farmer's magazine. [London: Rogerson and Tuxford, 1834-1881. url p. 279.
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url p. 1, p. 102, p. 161, p. 166, p. 180, p. 266, p. 268, p. 282, p. 288, p. 76, p. 77.
- The Florist and horticultural journal. Philadelphia, [Pa.: s.n.], 1853-1855. url .
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url , p. 1001, p. 101, p. 1025, p. 103, p. 1045, p. 1048, p. 1065, p. 118, p. 124, p. 1242, p. 1266, p. 159, p. 18, p. 194, p. 197, p. 212, p. 230, p. 255, p. 28, p. 282, p. 300, p. 307, p. 334, p. 338, p. 36, p. 364, p. 378, p. 380, p. 410, p. 42, p. 460, p. 462, p. 466, p. 472, p. 475, p. 49, p. 498, p. 517, p. 538, p. 563, p. 571, p. 620, p. 66, p. 68, p. 787, p. 8, p. 818, p. 851, p. 867, p. 885, p. 909, p. 933, p. 97.
- The Garden flowers of the year. LondonReligious Tract Society[1847?] url p. 158.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , p. 116, p. 152, p. 176, p. 214, p. 215, p. 231, p. 282, p. 297, p. 299, p. 307, p. 308, p. 311, p. 327, p. 334, p. 336, p. 337, p. 343, p. 352, p. 353, p. 358, p. 37, p. 374, p. 379, p. 383, p. 392, p. 424, p. 427, p. 435, p. 439, p. 458, p. 508, p. 519, p. 532, p. 541, p. 578, p. 595, p. 599, p. 619, p. 627, p. 64, p. 74, p. 74, p. 88, p. 89, p. 97.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url p. 278, p. 278.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 1066, p. 1114, p. 822, p. 855, p. 870, p. 934.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 10, p. 103, p. 106, p. 107, p. 114, p. 160, p. 195, p. 236, p. 250, p. 270, p. 277, p. 279, p. 287, p. 309, p. 314, p. 319, p. 326, p. 328, p. 334, p. 336, p. 339, p. 343, p. 364, p. 401, p. 439, p. 440, p. 448, p. 451, p. 48, p. 483, p. 499, p. 515, p. 547, p. 558, p. 611, p. 635, p. 641, p. 660, p. 732, p. 780, p. 79, p. 97.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 41 1981 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 114, p. 9.
- The Horticulturist and journal of rural art and rural taste. Albany, N.Y.: Luthur Tucker, 1846/1847-1875 url p. 134, p. 75.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url , , , , p. 100, p. 126, p. 127, p. 132, p. 247, p. 252, p. 376, p. 398, p. 398, p. 409, p. 41, p. 411, p. 5, p. 506, p. 567, p. 792.
- The Journal of the Department of Agriculture, Victoria. [Melbourne]:Dept. of Agriculture, Victoria, 1902-1955. url p. 420.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 9 1867 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 201, p. 206, p. 207, p. 211, p. 227.
- The Philadelphia florist and horticultural journal: a magazine of horticulture, botany, agriculture, and the kindred sciences. Philadelphia, [Pa.: s.n.], 1852-1853. url .
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 494.
- The Popular educator: a complete encyclopaedia of elementary, advanced and technical education. London, Cassell url , p. 303.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 271, p. 507, p. 54, p. 571, p. 596, p. 786.
- The agricultural grasses and forage plants of the United States; and such foreign kinds as have been introduced. By Dr. Geo. Vasey; with an appendix on the chemical composition of grasses, by Clifford Richardson. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1889. url p. 111.
- The agriculturist's manual: being a familiar description of the agricultural plants cultivated in Europe: including practical observations respecting those suited to the climate of Great Britain and forming a report of Lawson's by Peter Lawson & Son. Edinburgh: William Blackwood and Sons, Edinburgh: Thomas Cadell, 141 Strand, London; and W. Curry Jun. & Co., Dublin, 1836. url p. 148.
- The book of rock and water gardens. London, J. Lane Company[1907?] url .
- The book of water gardening; New York, A. T. De La Mare printing and publishing co., ltd., 1907. url p. 179.
- The book of water gardening; giving in full detail all the practical information necessary to the selection, grouping and successful cultivation of aquatic and other plants required in the making of a water garden and its surroun by Peter Bisset. New York: A. T. De La Mare printing and Pub. Co., ltd., 1907. url p. 179.
- The botany of Bihar and Orissa: an account of all the known indigenous plants of the province and of the most important or most commonly cultivated exotic ones / with maps and introduction by H. H. Haines. London: Printed by Adlard and sold by agents for Indian Official Publications, 1921-25. url p. 953.
- The complete garden, by Albert D. Taylor, assisted by Gordon D. Cooper. Illustrated with fifty full page cuts, four line charts, and nine coloured plates. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1921. url p. 229, p. 229.
- The complete illustrated book of garden magic. Chicago, J.G. Ferguson Pub. Co. url p. 146.
- The differentiation and specificity of starches in relation to genera, species, etc.; stereochemistry applied to protoplasmic processes and products, and as a strictly scientific basis for the classification of plants and animals Washington, D.C.Carnegie institution of Washington1913 url p. 2, p. 274.
- The farmer's and planter's encyclopædia of rural affairs; Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott & co., 1868. url p. 114.
- The farmer's and the planter's encyclopædia of rural affairs; Philadelphia, Lippincott, Grambo & co., 1851. url p. 114.
- The farmer's encyclopædia, and dictionary of rural affairs; embracing all the most recent discoveries in agricultural chemistry. Adapted to the comprehension of unscientific readers. .. By Cuthbert W. Johnson. .. Adapted to the United States by Gouverneur Emerson. Philadelphia, Carey and Hart, 1844. url p. 114.
- The garden beautiful in California; Los Angeles, Cal., Cultivator publishing co., 1915. url p. 81.
- The garden... London, 1872- url p. 391, p. 508.
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 225, p. 242, p. 489.
- The genera of grasses of the United States: with special reference to the economic species / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, 1920. url , p. 60, p. 62, p. 64.
- The geography of plants. .. London, American Sunday-School Union;[1850?] url p. 149.
- The grasses and grasslands of South Africa, Pietermaritzburg, P. David & Sons, Ltd., Printers, 1918. url .
- The grasses of Iowa / L. H. Pammel, J. B. Weems, and F. Lamson-Schribner. Des Moines: Iowa Geological Survey, 1901-1904  i.e. 1905] url .
- The journal of forestry and estates management. London: W. Rider, 1878-1883. url p. 42.
- The joyous art of gardening; a book of first aid to the amateur, New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1917. url .
- The life and letters of Gilbert White of Selborne / written and edited by his great-grand-nephew R. Holt-White; with pedigree, portraits, and illustrations; in two volumes. London: J. Murray, 1901. url p. 289, p. 291, p. 298.
- The mutation theory; experiments and observations on the origin of species in the vegetable kingdom, by Hugo de Vries. Tr. by J. B. Farmer and A. D. Darbishire. Chicago, Open Court Pub. Co., 1909-10. url p. 268.
- The natural history and antiquities of Selborne, in the county of Southampton. By the late Rev. Gilbert White. Ed. by Thomas Bell. London, J. Van Voorst, 1877. url p. 158.
- The natural history of Pliny. London, H. G. Bohn, 1855-57. url p. 135.
- The natural history of Pliny. Tr., with copious notes and illustrations, by the late John Bostock and H. T. Riley. London, H. G. Bohn, 1855-57. url p. 135, p. 405, p. 406, p. 493.
- The raisin industry. A practical treatise on the raisin grapes, their history, culture and curing. By Gustav Eisen. San Francisco, H. S. Crocker, printers, 1890. url p. 20, p. 20, p. 219.
- The river-side naturalist; notes on the various forms of life met with either in, on, or by the water, or in its immediate vicinity. Illus. with numerous woodcuts. London, Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1890. url p. 389.
- The tineina of southern Europe. By H. T. Stainton. .. London, J. Van Voorst, 1869. url p. 206, p. 368.
- The trees, shrubs, and plants of Virgil, [New York, B. H. Blackwell;1920. url p. 132, p. 147, p. 50.
- The tropical agriculturist. Colombo, Ceylon: A.M. & J. Ferguson, 1882- url p. 777.
- The vegetable kingdom: or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, illustrated upon the natural system / by John Lindley. London: Bradbury and Evans, 1846. url p. 111.
- The vegetable kingdom; or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, LondonBradbury & Evans1853 url p. 111.
- The voyage of the "Challenger": the Atlantic: a preliminary account of the general results of the exploring voyage of H.M.S. "Challenger" during the year 1873 and the early part of the year 1876 / by Sir C. Wyville Thomson. New York: Harper, 1878. url p. 26.
- The water garden; embracing the construction of ponds, adapting natural streams, planting, hybridizing, seed saving, propagation, building an aquatic house, wintering, correct designing and planting of banks and margin by William Tricker. Profusely illustrated with nine plates, eighteen full page descriptive views, and numerous other sketches in the text. New York, A. T. De La Mare Printing and Pub. Co., 1897. url p. 103.
- The weekly florists' review. Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co., 1897-1912. url , p. 1047, p. 1055, p. 351, p. 365, p. 397, p. 399, p. 437, p. 444, p. 456, p. 471, p. 507, p. 543, p. 575, p. 584, p. 600, p. 651, p. 674, p. 687.
- The wheat plant: its origin, culture, growth, development, composition, varieties, diseases, etc., etc.: together with a few remarks on Indian corn, its culture, etc. / by John H. Klippart. Cincinnati, Moore, Wilstach, Keys, & co., 1860. url p. 37.
- The wonders of instinct / by Jean Henri Fabre; trabskated by Alexander Teixeira de Mattos and Bernard Miall. New York: Century, 1918. url p. 224, p. 319.
- The wonders of instinct, by Jean Henri Fabre. .. tr. by Alexander Teixeira de Mattos and Bernard Miall; with 16 illustrations. New York: The Century Co., 1918. url p. 224, p. 224, p. 319, p. 319.
- To the River Plate and back: the narrative of a scientific mission to South America, with observations upon things seen and suggested / by W.J. Holland; with eight plates in color from drawings by the author and 78 other illustrations. 1913 New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1913. url p. 229, fig. 23, p. 374.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 228, p. 286, p. 91.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 401.
- Transactions of the Entomological Society of London. London, The Society. url , p. 395.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 95.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 244, p. 47, p. 48.
- Transactions of the Worcester County Horticultural Society. Worcester, Mass., Worcester County Horticultural Society. url p. 127.
- Travels in Brazil, in the years 1817-1820, : undertaken by command of His majesty the King of Bavaria by Dr. Joh.Babt. von Spix and Dr. C. F. Phil. von Martius / London, Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green;1824. url p. 96.
- Trees and plants for the world out of doors. Rochester, N.Y., Brown brothers company[c1909] url p. 88.
- Trees and shrubs of Mexico / By Paul C. Standley. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1920-1926. url p. 66.
- Useful plants of the Siona and Secoya Indians of eastern Ecuador / William T. Vickers, Timothy Plowman. 15 1984 Chicago, Ill.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1984. url p. 13, p. 61.
- West African forests and forestry / London: T.F. Unwin, ltd.,  url .
- West African forests and forestry, by A. Harold Unwin. .. with 110 illustrations by the author. London, T. F. Unwin, ltd. url p. 201, p. 503.
- Yearbook of agriculture. WashingtonU.S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 420, p. 514.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 2 1891 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 26, p. 398.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 12, 2007:
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- GBIF-Spain, Real Jardin Botanico
- , Vascular Plant Herbarium
- GBIF-Spain, Universidad de Oviedo. Departamento de Biología de Organismos y Sistemas: FCO
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2661466
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-41450
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13765784
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:390837-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 4439
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 41450
- MoBot NameID: 25509170
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PMPOA0R010
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: ARVE2
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 13857