Common Names in English:
Pineland Three-Awn Grass, Pineland Three-Awn, Pineland Threeawn, Wire Grass
, less often annuals
. Leaf blades
usually basal, rolled or rarely flat. Inflorescence a narrow or open panicle. Spikelets
with 1 floret; glumes
, narrow, unequal with the upper usually longer
, 1(-3) -veined; floret callus bearded
or 2-toothed; lemma narrowly cylindrical or laterally compressed
, convolute, glabrous
or sparsely hairy
3-branched, branches arising directly from lemma apex or seated on a straight or twisted column, persistent
either at base
or apex of column (always persistent in China), scabrid
. Stamens 3.
About 300 species: widely distributed in tropical and warm-temperate regions of the world; ten species (six endemic) in China.
This genus is found on poor, dry soils in areas of low rainfall, but does not usually penetrate into true desert.
Habit: Graminoid • Growth Form: Bunch • Shape and Orientation: Erect
Flowers: Bloom Period: Fall • Flower Color: Green • Flower Conspicuous: No
Seeds: Seed per Pound: 500000 • Seed Spread Rate: Rapid • Seedling Vigor: Medium • Fruit/Seed Abundance: Low • Fruit/Seed Color: Yellow • Fruit/Seed Conspicuous: No • Cold Stratification Required: No
Foliage: Foliage Color: Green • Foliage Porosity Summer: Porous • Foliage Porosity Winter: Porous • Foliage Texture: Fine • Fall Conspicuous: No • Leaf Retention: No
Active Growth Period: Spring • Growth Rate: Moderate • After Harvest Regrowth Rate: Slow • Mature Height (feet): 3.9 • Vegetative Spread Rate: None • Lifespan: Lifespan
Duration: Perennial • Coppice Potential: No • Progagated by Bulbs: No • Propagated by Bare Root: No • Propagated by Container: No • Propagated by Corms: No • Propagated by Cuttings: No • Propagated by Seed: Yes • Propagated by Sod: No • Propagated by Sprigs: No • Propagated by Tubers: No • Fruit/Seed Period Begin: Fall • Fruit/Seed Period End: Fall • Fruit/Seed Persistence: No
Soil: Adapted to Medium Textured: Adapted to Medium Textured Soils • Adapted to Coarse Textured Soils: Yes • Anaerobic Tolerance: None • Salinity Tolerance: None • CaCO3 Tolerance: Low • Minimum pH: 4.0 • Maximum pH: 6.5 • Fertility Requirement: Low
Sunlight: Shade Tolerance: Tolerant
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: High • Minimum Precipitation: 36 • Maximum Precipitation: 65 • Moisture Use: Low
Temperature: Minimum Temperature (F): 7 • Minimum Frost Free Days: 200
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Commelinidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Angiospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Aristida
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 65 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
A. adscensionis (Six-Weeks Three-Awn Grass) · A. adscensionis var. adscensionis (Sixweeks Threeawn) · A. arizonica (Arizona Three-Awn Grass) · A. basiramea (Forked Three-Awn) · A. beyrichiana (Beyrich Threeawn) · A. californica (California Three-Awn Grass) · A. californica var. californica (California Threeawn) · A. californica var. glabrata (Santa Rita Threeawn) · A. chaseae (Chase's Threeawn) · A. cognata (Spreading Threeawn) · A. condensata (Big Three-Awned Grass) · A. desmantha (Curly Threeawn) · A. dichotoma (Churchmouse Threeawn) · A. dichotoma var. curtissii (Curtis' Threeawn) · A. dichotoma var. dichotoma (Churchmouse Threeawn) · A. divaricata (Poverty Threeawn) · A. floridana (Key West Threeawn) · A. gypsophila (Gypsum Threeawn) · A. gyrans (Corkscrew Three-Awn Grass) · A. havardii (Harvard Threeawn) · A. lanosa (Woolly Three-Awn) · A. longespica (Slim-Spike Three-Awn Grass) · A. longespica geniculata (Spiked Needlegrass) · A. longespica longespica (Kearney´s Three-Awn) · A. longespica var. geniculata (Slimspike Threeawn) · A. longispica (Slimspike Threeawn) · A. longispica var. geniculata (Slimspike Threeawn) · A. longispica var. longispica (Slimspike Threeawn) · A. mohrii (Mohr's Three-Awn Grass) · A. oligantha (Oldfield Threeawn) · A. orcuttiana var. orcuttiana (Single Threeawn) · A. palustris (Longleaf Three-Awn) · A. pansa (Wooton Threeawn) · A. pansa var. pansa (Wooton's Threeawn) · A. patula (Tall Three-Awn Grass) · A. portoricensis (Pelos Del Diablo) · A. purpurascens (Arrowfeather Threeawn) · A. purpurascens var. purpurascens (Arrowfeather Threeawn) · A. purpurascens var. tenuispica (Arrowfeather Threeawn) · A. purpurascens var. virgata (Arrowfeather Threeawn) · A. purpurea (Democrat Grass) · A. purpurea var. fendleriana (Fendlers Threeawn) · A. purpurea var. longiseta (Fendlers Threeawn) · A. purpurea var. micrantha (Red Three-Awn) · A. purpurea var. nealleyi (Blue Threeawn) · A. purpurea var. parishii (Parish Threeawn) · A. purpurea var. perplexa (Purple Threeawn) · A. purpurea var. purpurea (Purple Threeawn) · A. purpurea var. wrightii (Wrights Threeawn) · A. ramosissima (Branched Three-Awn Grass) · A. ramosissima var. ramosissima (S-Curve Threeawn) · A. refracta (Islandthicket Threeawn) · A. rhizomophora (Florida Three-Awn Grass) · A. schiedeana (Single Threeawn) · A. schiedeana var. orcuttiana (Orcutt's Threeawn) · A. simpliciflora (Southern Three-Awned Grass) · A. spiciformis (Bottlebrush Threeawn) · A. stricta (Pineland Three-Awn Grass) · A. stricta var. beyrichiana (Wiregrass) · A. suringarii (St. Eustatius Threeawn) · A. swartziana (Swartz's Threeawn) · A. ternipes (Spider Three-Awn Grass) · A. ternipes var. gentilis (Mesa Threeawn) · A. ternipes var. ternipes (Spidergrass) · A. tuberculosa (Seabeach Needlegrass)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A botanical survey of the Sugar Grove region / by Robert F. Griggs. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 305.
- A nature wooing at Ormond by the sea, by W.S. Blatchley. .. Indianapolis: The Nature publishing company, 1902. url p. 95.
- A provisional host-index of the fungi of the United States, by W. G. Farlow and A. B. Seymour. Cambridge, 1888-91. url p. 148.
- A study of the Geolycosa pikei complex in the southeastern United States. 1961. url p. 68.
- A survey of natural areas in Brunswick County, North Carolina: for The North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , p. 8.
- Agriculture of North Carolina, part II: containing a statement of the principles of the science upon which the practices of agriculture as an art are founded / by Ebenezer Emmons. Raleigh: W.W. Holden, Printer to the State, 1860. url p. 116.
- American grasses / Washington: Gov. Print. Off., 1897-1901. url p. 103.
- American grasses / by F. Lamson-Scribner. Washington: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Division of Agrontology, 1897- url p. 103, p. 103.
- American grasses. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1900. url p. 91.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102d meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Addison Brown. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1898. url .
- Annals of the Entomological Society of America. [College Park, Md., etc.]: Entomological Society of America. url p. 332.
- Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. New York, New York Academy of Sciences. url p. 295, p. 329, p. 49.
- Annual report / Florida State Geological Survey. Tallahassee, Fla.: Capital Pub. Co., state printer, url p. 106, p. 116, p. 125, p. 133, p. 139, p. 148, p. 206, p. 214, p. 220, p. 236, p. 251, p. 262, p. 299, p. 312, p. 317, p. 323, p. 333, p. 91, p. 94.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 16 1905 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 40.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 76.
- Annual report of the State Botanist of the State of New York. Albany: Troy Press, 1889-1897. url .
- Ants; their structure, development and behavior, by William Morton Wheeler. .. New York, Columbia university press, 1910. url .
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 11 - 20 1929 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 47.
- Boston journal of natural history. 1 1834-1837 Boston, Boston Society of Natural History. url p. 135.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 164.
- Botany of the northern and middle states, or, A description of the plants found in the United States, north of Virginia: arranged according to the natural system: with a synopsis of the genera according to the Linnaean system. .. / Albany: Printed by Webster and Skinners. .., 1833. url p. 400.
- Botany; containing a catalogue of the indigenous and naturalized plants of the state / by Rev. M.A. Curtis. Raleigh: Printed at N.C. Institution for the deaf and dumb and blind, 1867. url p. 116.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 392, p. 398, p. 399, p. 402.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. 1879 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 101, p. 788.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 305.
- Bulletin / United States Department of Agriculture, Division of Agrostology. 1895-1897 Washington, D.C.: The Division, 1895-1901. url p. 100, p. 103, p. 16, p. 16, p. 23, p. 24, p. 33.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 136, p. 436.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 22 1895 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 143, p. 145, p. 231, p. 351, p. 365, p. 416, p. 417, p. 420, p. 47, p. 52, p. 55, p. 560, p. 561, p. 563, p. 566, p. 601, p. 602, p. 618.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 163.
- Bulletin, Gulf Biologic Station, Baton Rouge, Louisiana State Board of Agriculture and Immigration., 1902-1910. url p. 25, p. 63, p. 9.
- Catalogue of the grasses of Cuba. By A. S. Hitchcock. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1909. url p. 247.
- Catalogue of the grasses of Cuba. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1909. url p. 247.
- Circular / United States Department of Agriculture, Division of Agrostology. Washington, D.C.: The Division, 1895-1901. url p. 10.
- Classification of wetlands and deepwater habitats of the United States / by Lewis M. Cowardin. .. [et al.]. Washington, D.C.: Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior, 1979. url p. 37.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 46 2003 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 100, p. 109, p. 144, p. 152, p. 164, p. 165, p. 247, p. 365, p. 365, p. 515, p. 529, p. 543, p. 55, p. 552, p. 553, p. 565, p. 570, p. 571, p. 580, p. 655, p. 93, p. 99.
- Contributions to North American ichthyology. Based primarily on the collections of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1877-78. url p. 101, p. 119.
- Dedication papers: scientific papers presented at the dedication of the laboratory building and plant houses, April 19-21, 1917. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1918. url p. 29.
- Elements of zoology. By Charles Frederick Holder. .. and James Bassett Holder. New York: American book company, [c1885] url p. 140.
- Elements of zoology. New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1886. url .
- Elliott, S. A sketch of the botany of South Carolina and Georgia /by Stephen Elliott. 1821 Charleston, S.C.: J.R. Schenck, 1821-24. url p. 10.
- Energy basis of a coastal region: Franklin County and Apalachicola Bay, Florida / by Walter Raymond Boynton. 1975. url .
- Energy reserves and agronomic characteristics of four limpograsses (Hemarthria altissima (Poir) Stapf et C.E. Hubb) for Florida's flatwoods / by Scott Christiansen. 1982. url p. 121, p. 14.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 110, p. 35.
- First biennial report of the progress of the Geological survey of Michigan, embracing observations on the geology, zoo?logy and botany of the lower peninsula. Made to the governor, December 31, 1860. Lansing, Hosmer & Kerr, printers to the state, 1861. url .
- Flora Peoriana; the vegetation in the climate of middle Illinois. Peoria, Ill., J. W. Franks & Sons, 1887. url , p. 88.
- Flora cestrica: an herborizing companion for the young botanists of Chester County...Pennsylvania. Philadelphia, Lindsay & Blakiston, 1853. url p. 361.
- Flora of Miami; being descriptions of the seed-plants growing naturally on the Everglade Keys and in the adjacent Everglades, southern peninsular Florida. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 20.
- Flora of the island of St. Croix. By Charles Frederick Millspaugh. 1 1902 Chicago, 1902. url p. 474.
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 117.
- Floral almanac: containing the flowering season of one thousand and seven hundred phaenogamous plants of Florida / by A. Schaffranek. Palatka, Fla.: Palatka News Pub. Co., 1888. url p. 19.
- Forest fires: their destructive work, causes and prevention. By W. W. Ashe, in charge of forest investigation. Raleigh, J. Daniels, state printer and binder, 1895. url p. 11.
- Fourteen weeks in zoology. Chicago [etc.]A. S. Barnes & Company, [c1872] url .
- Grasses and forage plants a practical treatise comprising their natural history, comparative nutritive value, methods of cultivating, cutting and curing, and the management of grass lands in the United States and British provi by Charles L. Flint. Boston: J.E. Tilton, 1867. url .
- Grasses and forage plants, a practical treatise, comprising their natural history, comparative nutritive value; methods of cultivating, cutting, and curing; and the management of grass lands in the United States and British Pro Boston, Phillips, 1859. url p. 59.
- Grasses and forage plants. A practical treatise. Comprising their natural history comparative nutritive value; methods of cultivating, cutting, and curing; and the management of grass lands in the United States and British Prov Boston, W. F. Gill, 1874. url .
- Grasses and forage plants: a practical treatise comprising their natural history; comparative nutritive value; methods of cultivating, cutting, and curing; and the management of grass lands in the United States and British provinces, by Charles L. Flint. Boston, Lee and Shepard, 1888. url p. 59.
- Grasses of the West Indies. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1917. url p. 365.
- Grazing effects on herbage composition and nutrient distribution on a Florida range flatwoods / by Burton J. Smith. 1978. url p. 17, p. 23, p. 341, p. 73, p. 75.
- Grevillea. London: Williams and Norgate; 1872-1894. url p. 5.
- Grisebach, A. H. R. Flora of the British West Indian islands /by A.H.R. Grisebach. -18 London, L. Reeve, 1864. url p. 534.
- Guide to the Economic Museum of the New York Botanical Garden. New York, 1921. url p. 136.
- Guide to the study of insects and a treatise on those injurious and beneficial to crops: for the use of colleges, farm-schools, and agriculturists / by Alpheus S. Packard; with fifteen plates and six hundred and seventy wood-cuts. Boston: Estes & Lauriat, 1889, c1876. url p. 185.
- Guide to the study of insects, and a treatise on those injurious and beneficial to crops: for the use of colleges, farm-schools, and agriculturists / by A. S. Packard, jr. Salem, Mass.: Naturalist's agency, 1874. url p. 185.
- Guide to the study of insects: and a treatise on those injurious and beneficial to crops for the colleges, farm-schools, and agriculturists. New York: Henry Holt, 1889. url p. 185.
- Handbook of reptiles and amphibians of Florida / by Ray E. Ashton, Jr. and Patricia Sawyer Ashton; drawings by Renaldo Kuhler. Miami, Fl.: Windward Pub., url p. 187, p. 24.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 2.
- Index to the names of North American grasses: a report presented to the Society for the Promotion of Agricultural Science, at the Indianapolis meeting, 1890 / [S.l.]Published by authority of the Society, 1980? url p. 18, p. 2.
- Insect artizans and their work / by Edward Step; with 54 illustrations on art paper. London: Hutchinson, [1919?] url p. 214, p. 313.
- Insect artizans and their work, by Edward Step, with 54 illustrations on art paper. New York, Dodd, Mead and company[1919?] url p. 214, p. 313.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 5 1867 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 295.
- Journal of ethnobiology. 20 2000 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 276.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url p. 15, p. 183, p. 203.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 35.
- Loblolly, or North Carolina pine, Raleigh, Edwards & Broughton printing company, state printers and binders, 1915. url p. 57.
- Loblolly, or North Carolina pine, by W. W. Ashe. Raleigh, Edwards & Broughton Print. Co., 1915. url p. 57.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada, by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, H. Holt and Co., 1901. url p. 95.
- Manual of the grasses of the United States / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington: U.S. G.P.O., 1935. url p. 455, p. 457, p. 800, p. 801.
- Manual of the southeastern flora: being descriptions of the seed plants growing naturally in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, eastern Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. 1933 New York: The author, 1933. url p. 94.
- Memoirs / Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Garden, 1918-1936. url p. 29.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1893 - 18 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 35.
- Mind in the lower animals in health and disease, by W. Lauder Lindsay. London: C. K. Paul, 1879. url p. 111.
- Mind in the lower animals, in health and disease, by W. Lauder Lindsay. .. New York: D. Appleton and Company, 1880. url p. 111.
- Natural area inventory of Pamlico County, North Carolina / [Raleigh]: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Department of Natural Resources and Community Development, 1982. url p. 56.
- Natural area inventory of Pender County, North Carolina / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, [1982?] url p. 110, p. 12, p. 13, p. 14, p. 69, p. 71, p. 75, p. 83.
- Natural areas inventory of Carteret County, North Carolina: for the North Carolina Natural Heritage Program, Coastal Natural Area Inventory Project / [Raleigh]: N.C. Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, N.C. Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development, . url p. 130, p. 136, p. 141, p. 149, p. 180, p. 181, p. 55, p. 60, p. 61, p. 62, p. 63, p. 68, p. 71.
- Natural history of New York. Albany: D. Appleton: 1842-1894. url p. 434.
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 414, p. 453.
- Nature's craftsmen; popular studies of ants and other insects, by Henry Christopher McCook. .. illustrated from nature. New York and London, Harper & brothers, 1907. url p. 314, p. 87.
- Novon a journal of botanical nomenclature from the Missouri Botanical Garden. 11 2001 St. Louis, MO: Missouri Botanical Garden, url p. 362, p. 365, p. 99.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 1, p. 117, p. 120, p. 123.
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 109, p. 113, p. 365.
- Plant life of Alabama. An account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. Prepared in cooperationwith the Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1901. url .
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 109, p. 113, p. 365.
- Plants of Mississippi: a list of flowering plants and ferns / by E.N. Lowe. [Jackson, Miss.]: Mississippi State Geological Survey, 1921. url p. 83.
- Plants of the Bahamas, Jamaica and Grand Cayman, by A.S. Hitchcock. .. Issued March 9, 1893. St. Louis, 1893 url p. 147.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 218, p. 218, p. 300, p. 325, p. 325.
- Report of the Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: James B. Lyon, State Printer, 1867-1924. url p. 16.
- Resources of southern Alabama: a statistical guide for investors and settlers, with an exposition of some of the principles of economic geography / by Roland M. Harper. University, Ala.: Geological Survey of Alabama, . url p. 141, p. 55, p. 68.
- Romance of the insect world / by L.N. Badenoch; with illustrations by Margaret J.D. Badenoch and others. New York: Macmillan and Co., 1893. url p. 137, p. 56.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 540.
- Small, J. K. Flora of the southeastern United States;being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolin, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and the Indian territory and in Oklahoma and Texas east of the one-hundredth meridian /by John Kunkel Small. .. 1903 New York: The author, 1903. url p. 115.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 23 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 101.
- South Carolina. Resources and population. Institutions and industries. Pub. by the State Board of Agriculture of South Carolina. Charleston, S.C.Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1883. url p. 348.
- Systematics and zoogeography of fossil and recent pocket gophers in Florida / by Kenneth T. Wilkins. 1982. url p. 13.
- Taxonomy, ethology, and ecology of Phidippus (Araneae: Salticidae) in eastern North America / by Glavis Bernard Edwards, Jr. 1980. url p. 318.
- The American journal of science and arts. New-Haven: S. Converse, url p. 103.
- The Bahama flora, New York, The Authors, 1920. url .
- The Bahama flora, by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Charles Frederick Millspaugh. New York, Published by the authors, 1920. url p. 31, p. 31, p. 31, p. 31.
- The Farmers' register. Richmond, Va.: Edmund Ruffin, 1833-1843. url p. 691.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 244, p. 246, p. 247.
- The flora of St. Croix and the Virgin Islands, by Baron H.F.A. Eggers. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1879. url p. 101.
- The flora of the American Virgin Islands / N.L. Britton. New York: New York Botanical Garden, 1918. url p. 29.
- The flora of the Gulf Biologic Station. Baton Rouge, Louisiana State Board of Agriculture and Immigration, 1907. url p. 9.
- The genera of grasses of the United States: with special reference to the economic species / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, 1920. url p. 163.
- The grasses of Illinois / by Edna Mosher. Urbana, Ill.: University of Illinois Agricultural Experiment Station, 1918. url p. 340.
- The grasses of Illinois, by Edna Mosher. Urbana, Ill., 1918. url p. 340.
- The industries of animals. London, W. Scott, Ltd., 1899. url .
- The longleaf pine in virgin forest; a silvical study, by G. Frederick Schwarz. New York: J. Wiley & sons; [etc., etc.], 1907. url p. 129, p. 129.
- The natural history of the red-tailed skink, Eumeces Egregius Baird. 1961. url p. 7.
- The romance of plant life, interesting descriptions of the strange and curious in the plant world, by G. F. Scott Elliot. Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott, 1907. url p. 285.
- The shepherd's manual. A practical treatise on the sheep. Designed especially for American shepherds. By Henry Stewart. .. New York: O. Judd company, [c1884] url p. 255, p. 255, p. 255.
- The study of plant communities: an introduction to plant ecology. San Francisco: W.H. Freeman, 1948. url p. 256.
- The vegetation of south Florida south of 27 30 north, exclusive of the Florida keys, by John W. Harshberger. Philadelphia, Wagner Free Institute of Science, 1914. url p. 100, p. 94.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 113, p. 114, p. 124, p. 223, p. 43.
- Transactions of the State Agricultural Society. .. Lansing: The Society, 1850-1856. url p. 400.
- Transactions of the Wagner Free Institute of Science of Philadelphia. 7 1910 Philadelphia: Wagner Free Institute of Science of Philadelphia, 1887-1927. url p. 100, p. 94.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 113, p. 93.
- Tulane studies in zoology. 11 1963 New Orleans: Tulane University, 1953-1968. url p. 5.
- Types of American grasses: a study of the American species of grasses described by Linnæus, Gronovius, Sloane, Swartz, and Michaux. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1908. url p. 144.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 21, 2007:
- Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden Virtual Herbarium Darwin Core format
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- Utah State University, USU-UTC Specimen Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2661453
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-41433
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13753954
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:389812-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 316567
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 41433
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PMPOA0K130
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: ARST5
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 22675