Common Names in English:
Majestic Beauty ® Star Pine
, dioecious or monoecious, with relatively large pith
and resin in cortex. Leaves spirally arranged
or decussate, sessile, decurrent. Cones unisexual
. Pollen cones axillary
, solitary or clustered; microsporophylls
, spirally arranged, sessile; microsporangia 4-20, external, suspended, arranged in 2 rows
; pollen sacs
split longitudinally; pollen nonsaccate. Seed cones solitary, terminal on branchlets, maturing in 2nd or 3rd year; bracts numerous, spirally arranged; ovulate
with bracts on 1 side, each with 1 ovule at base
abaxially; ovules connate with ovulate scales or with bracts (when ovulate scales degenerate) ; bracts of mature
cones deciduous, flattened, woody or thickly leathery, bearing 1 seed in basal part (if developed), sometimes adnate
with ligulate seed scales in center of adaxial
surface, apex triangular or caudate
. Seeds connate with bracts or detached, flattened, winged
or not. 2n = 26.
Three genera and 41 species: Indonesia, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Philippines; Australia, New Zealand, SW Pacific Islands, South America; two genera and four species (all introduced ) in China.
monoecious, occasionally dioecious; branches whorled
or almost so; winter buds
small. Leaves spirally arranged
, needlelike to broadly ovate
or triangular, varied in shape
and size even on same tree. Pollen cones axillary
, or ellipsoid
densely arranged. Seed cones erect
, ellipsoid, or ovoid to subglobose; ovulate
; bracts of mature
cones large, woody, distal part thickened, distal margin sharply and transversely ridged
, apex reflexed
or upcurved, pointed
; seed scales adnate
with bracts in basal, seed-bearing part, detached in apical part, sometimes thickened and exposed. Seeds connate
with bracts, sometimes with 2 apparent lateral
formed from bract. Cotyledons usually 2, occasionally 4. Germination hypogeal or epigeal.
Nineteen species: Papua New Guinea; Australia (including Norfolk Island), New Caledonia, South America; three species (introduced ) in China.
Flowers: Flower Conspicuous: No value
Foliage: Densely arranged leaves, incurved , to 1/4 in. long • Foliage Shape: Triangular • Normal foliage color: Green • Underside foliage: Green • Juvenile foliage: Green • Mature foliage: Green • New foliage: Green • Spring foliage: Green • Summer foliage: Green • Fall foliage: Green • Winter foliage: Green
Growth Rate: Moderate Growing • Size: Moderate grower to 40 to 50 ft . tall, 20 to 25 ft. wide.
Care: Follow a regular watering schedule during the first growing season to establish a deep, extensive root system . Watering can be reduced after establishment. Feed with a general purpose fertilizer before new growth begins in spring .
Biome: Disturbed areas, urban areas
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Partial sun
Moisture: Water Requirements: Water regularly, when top 3 in. of soil is dry.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
An accepted name in the RHS Horticultural Database.
Members of the genus Araucaria
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 10 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
A. angustifolia (Brazilian Monkey Puzzle Tree) · A. araucana (Monkey Puzzle) · A. bidwillii (Bunya Bunya) · A. columnaris (Cook Pine) · A. cunninghamii (Hoop Pine) · A. heterophylla (Norfolk Island Pine) · A. heterophylla 'Monia' (Majestic Beauty ® Star Pine) · A. hunsteinii (Klinkii Pine) · A. rulei (Rule Araucaria) · A. subulata (Narrow-Leaved Araucaria)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- Cheng Wan-chün, Fu Li-kuo, Tsui Hung-pin & Chen Chia-jui. 1978. Araucariaceae. In: Cheng Wan-chün & Fu Li-kuo, eds., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 7: 24-31.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed March 27, 2012.
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 708838
- Liguo Fu, Nan Li & Robert R. Mill "Araucariaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 4 Page 9. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Liguo Fu, Nan Li & Robert R. Mill "Araucaria". in Flora of China Vol. 4 Page 9. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]