Common Names in English:
, biennial, or annual
, less often lianas, shrubs
, or trees
, usually bristly
or scabrous-pubescent. Leaves simple
, alternate, rarely opposite, entire or serrate at margin
. Inflorescences often double
scorpioid cymes, rarely solitary; bracts present or absent. Flowers bisexual
, rarely zygomorphic. Calyx usually 5-parted or lobed
, mostly persistent
. Corolla tubular
, rotate, funnelform
, or salverform
5, rarely more, mostly trapeziform, rarely absent, sometimes a ring
present; limb usually 5-parted; lobes
overlapping, rarely twisted in bud. Stamens 5, inserted
on corolla tube or rarely at throat
or rarely exserted; anthers
, 2-loculed, usually dorsifixed
, less often medifixed
, dehiscence longitudinal
. Nectaries at base of corolla tube or on disc below ovary. Ovary superior, 2-carpellate; locules 2 and each with 2 ovules, or 4 and each with 1 ovule; ovules nearly atropous
, semianatropous, or anatropous
. Style terminal
, branched or not. Gynobase
, or subulate
. Fruit 1-4-seeded drupes or nutlets
(mericarps) ; nutlets mostly dry, often ornamented with wings
, prickles and/or glochids (stiff bristles
or anchorlike tips
) . Seeds vertical
membranous; embryo straight, less often curved
; cotyledons flat, fleshy
About 156 genera and 2500 species: temperate and tropical regions , centered in the Mediterranean region; 47 genera and 294 species in China, of which four genera and 156 species are endemic.
, sparsely strigose
, rarely soft appressed
. Stems erect
. Leaves alternate. Cymes terminal
, widely spaced in fruit, scorpioid; bracts lanceolate. Calyx 5-parted nearly to base
or less; lobes
equal or unequal, linear
to triangular, often slightly enlarged in fruit. Corolla blue-purple or yellowish, regular or slightly zygomorphic; tube
than calyx, straight or arcuate
and short pubescent; limb campanulate
; lobes 5, equal or unequal, apex obtuse
. Stamens inserted
at or below middle
of corolla tube, included
ovate-oblong, apex obtuse. Ovary 4-divided. Style included in corolla tube; stigma capitate, 2-cleft. Gynobase
, or oblique-ovoid, reticulate-wrinkled; attachment scar
at or near base, margin
ringlike, thickened, hardened.
About 50 species: N Africa, C and W Asia, Europe; one species in China.
Flowers: Bloom Period: January, February. • Flower Color: dark blue
Size: 6-12" tall.
Culture: Space 18-24" apart.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Solananae () - R. Dahlgren Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Publishing author : Pall. Publication : Ind. Taur. ex Lehm. Asperif. 266
Members of the genus Anchusa
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 11 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
A. arvensis (Annual Bugloss) · A. azurea (Italian Alkanet) · A. azurea 'Dropmore' (Italian Alkanet) · A. azurea 'Feltham Pride' (Italian Alkanet) · A. azurea 'Loddon Royalist' (Italian Alkanet) · A. barrelieri (Barrelier's Bugloss) · A. capensis (Cape Bugloss) · A. capensis 'Blue Angel' (Summer Forget-Me-Not) · A. officinalis (Alkanet) · A. tinctoria (Alkanet) · A. undulata (Undulate Alkanet)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants / Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1875. url , .
- A course of practical instruction in botany, by F. O. Bower. London, Macmillan, 1891. url p. 504, p. 523.
- A dictionary of popular names of the plants which furnish the natural and acquired wants of man, in all matters of domestic and general economy. Their history, products, & uses, by John Smith. London, Macmillan, 1882. url p. 9.
- A dictionary of scientific terms. By Richard D. Hoblyn. .. New York, D. Appleton and co.;1850. url p. 17.
- A general history of the dichlamydeous plants, comprising complete descriptions of the different orders; together with the characters of the genera and species, and an enumeration of the cultivated varieties. .. the scientific names accentuated, t By George Don. London, J.G. and F. Rivington [etc.]1831-38. url p. 325.
- A glossary of botanic terms with their derivation and accent. By Benjamin Daydon Jackson. .. London, Duckworth; url p. 20.
- A glossary of botanic terms, with their derivation and accent. London, Duckworth & Co.;1905. url , p. 14.
- A manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants. By John Hutton Balfour. London: J. J. Griffin [etc.] 1851. url p. 150, p. 464.
- A manual of botany: including the structure, functions, classification, properties and uses of plants. London, John Churchill, 1861. url p. 607.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, by L.H. Pammel Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch press, 1911. url p. 704.
- A manual of poisonous plants: chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations / by L.H. Pammel. Cedar Rapids, Iowa: Torch Press, 1910-1911. url p. 704.
- A manual of scientific terms, pronouncing, etymological, and explanatory, chiefly comprising terms in botany, natural history, anatomy, medicine, and veterinary science, with an appendix of specific names. Designed for the use of by Rev. James Stormonth Edinburgh, Maclachlan and Stewart, 1885 url p. 21.
- A practical treatise on the use of the microscope, including the different methods of preparing and examining animal, vegetable, and mineral structures. London, H. Bailliere; [etc., etc.]1852. url .
- A supplement to the Pharmacopia, and treatise on pharmacology in general: including not only the drugs and preparations used by practitioners of medicine, but also most of those employed in the chemical arts: together with a collection of the most useful medical formul. . by Samuel Frederic Gray. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longman, 1836. url p. 54.
- Agricultural botany: Philadelphia, J. W. Moore;1847. url p. 122.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co., 1900. url p. 1095.
- An illustrated flora of the Pacific States: Washington, Oregon, and California. Stanford University, Stanford University Press, 1923- url p. 541.
- An introduction to the natural system of botany: or, A systematic view of the organisation, natural affinities, and geographical distribution, of the whole vegetable kingdom: together with the uses of the most important species in medicine, the art by John Lindley. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1830. url p. 242.
- Anales de la Sociedad Espaola de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 230.
- Analytical class-book of botany, designed for academies and private students. In two parts: Part 1. Elements of vegetable structure and physiology. By Frances H. Green. Part 11. Systematic botany: illustrated by a compendious flora of the northern states. By Joseph W. Congdon. London, D. Appleton, 1855. url p. 96.
- Analytical class-book of botany. New York, Appleton, 1859. url p. 96.
- Analytical class-book of botany: designed for academies and private students. In two parts: Part 1. Elements of vegetable structure and physiology / by Frances H. Green. Part 11. Systematic botany, by Joseph W. Congdon. New York: D. Appleton, 1856. url p. 96.
- Botany for high schools and colleges / by Charles E. Bessey. New York: H. Holt, 1883, c1880. url p. 502.
- Botany. New York, Holt, 1889. url p. 502.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 27.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 187.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url , , , .
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 460, p. 469, p. 780, p. 833.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 460, p. 469, p. 780, p. 833.
- Catalogue of the collections in the museum of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain compiled by E.M. Holmes. London, The Society, 1878. url p. 102, p. 273.
- Catalogue of the economic products of the Presidency of Bombay: being a catalogue of the Government Central Museum, Division 1., Raw produce (vegetable) / compiled by Assistant Surgeon Birdwood. Bombay: Printed at the Education Society's Press, 1862. url p. 301.
- Class book of botany. Being outlines of the structure, physiology and classification of plants. With a flora of all parts of the United States and Canada. By Alphonso Wood. .. New York, A.S. Barnes & Burr;1860. url p. 558.
- Class-book of botany being outlines of the structures, physiology, and classification of plants: with a flora of the United States and Canada / by Alphonso Wood. Cincinnati: American Book Co., c1881. url .
- Class-book of botany: being outlines of the structure, physiology and classification of plants: with a flora of the United States and Canada / New York: A. S. Barnes & Burr, 1863, c1860. url .
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 63 1836 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url .
- Cyclopedia of farm crops, New York, The Macmillan company, 1922. url p. 267, p. 671.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops: a popular survey of crops and crop-making methods in the United States and Canada / edited by L.H. Bailey. New York: Macmillan, 1922, c1907. url p. 671.
- Dictionary of arts, manufactures, and mines containing a clear exposition of their principles and practice by Robert Hunt, assisted by F.W. Rudler. London, Longmans, 1875-78. url p. 169.
- Edinburgh encyclopaedia, conducted by David Brewster. .. with the assistance of gentlemen eminent in science and literature. Edinburgh, Blackwood, 1830. url p. 693.
- Elements of botany: structural, physiological, systematical, and medical / by John Lindley. London: Printed for Taylor and Walton, 1841. url p. 150.
- Enquiry into plants and minor works on odoùrs and weather signs, London, G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1916. url p. 437, p. 487.
- Exercises in botany for the Pacific states / by Volney Rattan. San Francisco: Whitaker & Ray, 1897. url p. 558.
- Florigraphia Britannica; or, Engravings and descriptions of the flowering plants & ferns of Britain. London, R. Groombridge, 1841-48. url p. 230.
- Florigraphia britannica, or, Engravings and descriptions of the flowering plants and ferns of Britain / by Richard Deakin. London: Groombridge, 1857. url p. 230.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 21.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 73.
- Henderson's Handbook of plants and general horticulture / By Peter Henderson. New York, P. Henderson & Co., 1910. url p. 16, p. 52.
- How to keep bees for profit, New York, The Macmillan company, 1918. url p. 307.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url , p. 119.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 830.
- Journal of botany: being a second series of the Botanical miscellany. 1 1834 London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green & Longman; Edinburgh: A. & C. Black, 1834-1842. url p. 131, p. 223.
- Lawns and gardens. How to plant and beautify the home lot, the pleasure ground and garden, by N. Jnsson-Rose. With numerous plans and illustrations by the author. New York: G. P. Putnam, 1897. url p. 349.
- Lectures on the elements of botany. Part I. Containing the descriptive anatomy of those organs, on which the growth and preservation of the vegetable depend. By Anthony Todd Thomson, F. L. S.. .. Vol. I. London, Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme and Brown, 1822. url p. 239.
- Lectures on the physiology of plants / by Sydney Howard Vines. . Cambridge, Cambridgeshire: The University Press, 1886 url p. 239.
- Leechdoms, wortcunning, and starcraft of early England: being a collection of documents, for the most part never before printed, illustrating the history of science in this country before the Norman conquest / London: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts, and Green, 1864-1866. url p. 299.
- Lessons in Elementary Botany, the part of Systematic Botany based upon material left in manuscript by the late Prof. Henslow. London, MacMillan, 1888. url p. 190.
- Loudon's encyclopaedia of plants; comprising the specific character, description, culture, history, application in the arts, and every other desirable particular respecting all the plants indigenous to, cultivated in, or introduced in Edited by Mrs. Loudon, assisted by George Don and David Wooster. London, Longmans, Green, 1866. url p. 1078, p. 108.
- Memoir and correspondence of the late Sir James Edward Smith, Ed. by Lady Smith. London, Longman, Rees, Orne Brown, Green and Longman, 1832. url p. 544.
- Pharmazeutische Waarenkunde, von Dr. Otto Berg. Berlin, R. Gaertner, 1863. url p. 47.
- Philosophical magazine. London: Taylor & Francis. url p. 348, p. 452.
- Plant names, scientific and popular, including in the case of each plant the correct botanical name in accordance with the reformed nomenclature, together with botanical and popular synonyms. .. Comp. from the most authentic sources by A. B. Lyons. Detroit, Nelson, Baker & Co., 1900. url p. 22.
- Potter's cyclopedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R. C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke, [1900-1950?]. url p. 4, p. viii.
- Practical botany for beginners. London, 1894. url p. 250.
- Resources of the southern fields and forests, medical, economical, and agricultural; Charleston, Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1869. url p. 151, p. 725.
- Structural and systematic botany: being an arrangement of plants, forming a basis for the study of botany, either on the Linnaean or natural systems. London, C. Griffin[pref. 1855] url p. 193, p. 54.
- That rock-garden of ours; with 50 illustrations by the author. Phil.Jacobs, [1909?] url p. 90.
- The ABC and XYZ of bee culture; a cyclopedia of everything pertaining to the care of the honey-bee; bees, hives, honey, implements, honey-plants, etc.. .. By A.I. Root and E.R. Root. Medina, Ohio, The A.I. Root Company, 1910. url p. 277.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 309, p. 309, p. 309, p. 351, p. 456, p. 456.
- The British cyclopdia of natural history: combining a scientific classification of animals, plants, and minerals. .. By authors eminent in their particular department. Arranged and ed. by Charles F. Partington. London: Orr & Smith, 1835-37. url p. 551.
- The British flora medica, or, History of the medicinal plants of Great Britain / by Benjamin H. Barton, and Thomas Castle. London: E. Cox, 1838. url , p. 16, p. 499.
- The British flora: comprising the phaenogamous, or flowering plants and the ferns / by Sir William Jackson Hooker. London: Longman, Orme, Brown, Green & Longmans, 1838- url p. 74.
- The English flora. London, Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, [1828-30] url p. 259, p. 345, p. 258, p. 258.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 407.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 267, p. 442.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url , p. 170, p. 240, p. 352.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 71.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 181.
- The London and Edinburgh philosophical magazine and journal of science. London: Richard and John E. Taylor, 1832-1840. url p. 382.
- The Philippine journal of science. Manila: Bureau of Science url p. 443, p. 453.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 385.
- The botanical text-book, an introduction to scientific botany, both structural and systematic. For colleges, schools, and private students. By Asa Gray. New York, Putnam, 1850. url p. 449.
- The century supplement to the dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / by Geo. Nicholson. .. [et al.]. Hyde Park, Mass.: Geo. T. King; 1901. url p. 32, p. 45.
- The dictionary of science and technical terms used in philosophy, literature, professions, commerce, arts, and trades / by W.M. Buchanan; with supplement edited by James A. Smith. London: G.Bell and Sons, 1884. url p. 50, p. 522.
- The elements of botany embracing organography, histology, vegetable physiology, systematic botany and economic botany. .. together with a complete glossary of botanical terms Philadelphia, J. E. Potter and Company[c1883] url , .
- The encyclopedia of gardening. A dictionary of cultivated plants, etc., giving in alphabetical sequence the culture and propagation of hardy and half-hardy plants, trees and shrubs, orchids, ferns, fruit, vegetables, hothouse and g London, W. H. & L. Collingridge url .
- The exploitation of plants / London: J. M. Dent & Sons, Ltd., 1917. url .
- The farmer's dictionary: a vocabulary of the technical terms recently introduced into agriculture and horticulture from various sciences, and also a compendium of practical farming, the latter chiefly from the works of the Re edited by D. P. Gardner. New York: Harper, 1846. url p. 12.
- The illustrated dictionary of gardening, a practical and scientific encyclopedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists. Ed. by George Nicholson. Assisted by Professor J. W. H. Trail and J. Garrett. London: L. U. Gill, -89. url p. 47.
- The language of flowers: or, Floral emblems of thoughts, feelings, and sentiments. .. London, G. Routledge and sons, 1869. url .
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 379, p. 895.
- The microscope: its history, construction, and application, being a familiar introduction to the use of the instrument and the study of microscopical science / London: H. Ingram, 1856. url .
- The native flowers and ferns of the United States in their botanical, horticultural and popular aspects / by Thomas Meehan; illustrated by chromolithographs. Boston: L. Prang and Co., 1879. url p. 62.
- The natural history of Pliny. London, H. G. Bohn, 1855-57. url p. 238, p. 355, p. 410.
- The natural history of Pliny. Tr., with copious notes and illustrations, by the late John Bostock and H. T. Riley. London, H. G. Bohn, 1855-57. url p. 238, p. 355, p. 410.
- The organic constituents of plants and vegetable substances and their chemical analysis / by G.C. Wittstein; authorized translation from the German original, enlarged with numerous additions by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: MCarron, Bird & Co., 1878. url p. 12.
- The vegetable kingdom: or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, illustrated upon the natural system / by John Lindley. London: Bradbury and Evans, 1846. url p. 656, p. 812.
- The vegetable kingdom; or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, LondonBradbury & Evans1853 url p. 812.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 146.
- Vegetable physiology and systematic botany / by William B. Carpenter. London: W. S. Orr, 1848 [i.e. 1849]. url , .
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 8870, p. 9358.
- Wang Wen-tsai, Liu Yu-lan, Zhu Ge-ling, Lian Yong-shan, Wang Jing-quan & Wang Qing-rui in Kung Xian-wu & Wang Wen-tsai, eds. 1989. Boraginaceae. Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 64(2): 1-253.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 1671707
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:113381-1
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 113379-1
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 1034496
- Gelin Zhu, Harald Riedl & Rudolf V. Kamelin "Boraginaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 16 Page 329. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Anchusa". in Flora of China Vol. 16 Page 358. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]