Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Cuman Ragweed, Naked-Spike Ambrosia, Perennial Ragweed, Western Ragweed
Common Names in French:
Herbe à Poux Vivace
Common Names in Portuguese:
The largest family of flowering plants , the Compositae (Asteraceae), comprising about 1,100 genera and more than 20,000 species and characterized by many small flowers arranged in a head looking like a single flower and subtended by an involucre of bracts. A head may consist of both ray flowers and disk flowers, as in the sunflower, of disk flowers only, as in the burdock, or of ray flowers only, as in the dandelion.
The Heliantheae are a tribe of closely related genera of the sunflower family that can be readily recognized due to the association of a receptacular bract or chaff scale with each disk floret in the head . The heads usually include bisexual , actinomorphic disk florets with tubular corollas that have 4 or 5 distal lobes and also peripheral zygomorphic female or sometimes sterile florets with strap-shaped corollas that have 3 or fewer distal teeth. However, the ray flowers are sometimes absent and the heads are then discoid , containing only bisexual florets with tubular corollas. The pappus is absent or more commonly ranges from scales to stiff bristles . -- Gerald Carr.
, or shrubs
, 10-400+ cm (usually rhizomatous
). Stems erect
, or prostrate
, branched. Leaves usually cauline; opposite ± throughout or opposite (proximal
) and alternate or mostly alternate; sessile or petiolate
) deltate, elliptic
, lanceolate, linear
, or rhombic
(and most intermediate shapes
), usually pinnately, sometimes palmately lobed
entire or toothed
, usually gland-dotted or stipitate-glandular
. Heads discoid
proximal to or intermixed with staminates
, staminates usually in racemiform
arrays; rarely, single plants
all or mostly staminate or pistillate). Pistillate heads: phyllaries 12-30(-80+) in 1-8+ series, outer (1-) 5-8 distinct
or ± connate
, herbaceous, the rest (sometimes interpreted as paleae) ± connate, usually with free
, spines, or wings
(the whole becoming a hard perigynium or "bur") ; florets
1(-5+), corollas 0. Staminate heads: involucres cup-shaped to saucer-shaped
, 1.5-6+ mm diam.; phyllaries 5-16+ in ± 1 series, ± connate; receptacles ± flat or convex
; paleae spatulate to linear, membranous, sometimes villous
, hirtellous, and/or gland-dotted or stipitate-glandular, sometimes none; florets 5-60+; corollas whitish or purplish, ± funnelform
, lobes 5, erect or incurved
distinct or weakly coherent. Cypselae (black) ± ovoid
, enclosed within globose
, obconic, or fusiform, hard, smooth
, or winged
"burs"; pappi 0. x = 18.
Species 40+: tropical to subtropical and temperate New World, mostly North America, some established in Old World.
Species Ambrosia psilostachya
, 10-60(-100+) cm. Stems erect
proximally opposite, distally alternate; petioles
0-25 mm (often
) ; blades
deltate to lanceolate, 20-60(-140) ×
8-35(-50+) mm, pinnately toothed
to 1-pinnately lobed
entire or toothed, abaxial
and gland-dotted. Pistillate
1. Staminate heads:
peduncles 0.5-2 mm; involucres obliquely cup-shaped, 2-4(-5) mm diam.,
hirsutulous; florets 5-15(-30+). Burs: bodies ± obpyramidal
, 2-3 mm, hirsutulous, spines or tubercles
0 or 1-6, mostly
distal, stoutly conic to acerose
, (0.1-) 0.5-1 mm, tips
2n = 18, 27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72, 100-104, 108, 144.
Hybrids between Ambrosia psilostachya and A. artemisiifolia have been called A. ×intergradiens W. H. Wagner. Some botanists consider the type of A. cumanensis Kunth (1818) to be conspecific with that of A. psilostachya. [source]
Flowers: Bloom Period: July, August, September, October, November, December. • Flower Color: inconspicuous, none, yellow
Size: 12-18" tall.
Disturbed sites, often wet, alkaline , clay soils ; 0-2200 m (Ref. 51603).
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,998 meters (0 to 9,836 feet).
Duration: Annual , Perennial
Culture: Space 12-15" apart.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: High
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Lindley, 1833
- Family: Compositae () - Giseke, 1792, nom. cons., nom. alt.
- Order: Asterales () - Lindley, 1833
- Superorder: Campanulanae () - Takhtajan Ex Reveal, 1992
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
A. psilostachya var. coronopifolia (Torrey & A. Gray) Farwell • A. psilostachya var. lindheimeriana (Scheele) Blankinship • A. rugelii Rydberg • Ambrosia californica Rydb. • Ambrosia coronopifolia Torr. & Gray • Ambrosia cumanensis auct. non Kunth • Ambrosia psilostachya var. californica (Rydberg) S. F. Blake • Ambrosia psilostachya var. coronopifolia (Torr. & Gray) Farw. • Ambrosia psilostachya var. lindheimeriana (Scheele) Blank. • Ambrosia rugelii Rydb.
Status: Accepted Name
Comment: Data Providers: CONABIO, African Flowering Plants Database , SANBI, New Zealand Plant Name Database, Govaerts World Compositae Checklist A-G, IPNI, Tropicos, Euro+Med, Queensland Census, New South Wales Flora Online, Western Australia Census, Electronic F. GCC LSID: urn :lsid:compositae.org:names:0FFDCFBB-8051-476D-8CD9-94E5013AB0C7
Last scrutiny: 13-Nov-09
Members of the genus Ambrosia
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 36 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
A. acanthicarpa (Annual Bursage) · A. ambrosioides (Ambrosia Bursage) · A. artemisifolia (Common Ragweed) · A. artemisiifolia (Annual Bur-Sage Ambrosia Artemisiifolia) · A. artemisiifolia L. var. artemisiifolia L. (Ragweed) · A. artemisiifolia L. var. paniculata (Michx.) Blank. (Annual Ragweed) · A. artemisiifolia var. artemisiifolia (Common Ragweed) · A. artemisiifolia var. elatior (Annual Ragweed) · A. artemisiifolia var. paniculata (Annual Ragweed) · A. bidentata (Lance-Leaf Ragweed) · A. canescens (Hairy Ragweed) · A. chamissonis (Beach-Bur) · A. cheiranthifolia (Rio Grande Ragweed) · A. chenopodiifolia (San Diego Ambrosia) · A. confertiflora (Ragweed) · A. cordifolia (Heartleaf Bursage) · A. deltoidea (Rabbit Bush) · A. dumosa (Burro Bush) · A. elatior var. elatior (Ragweed) · A. eriocentra (Hollyleaf Bursage) · A. grayi (Bur Ragweed) · A. helenae (Helen Ragweed) · A. hispida (Coastal Ragweed) · A. ilicifolia (Holly-Leaf Bursage) · A. intergradiens (Intergrading Ragweed) · A. linearis (Linear-Leaf Bursage) · A. peruviana (Peruvian Ragweed) · A. psilostachya (Cuman Ragweed) · A. pumila (Dwarf Burr Ragweed) · A. tenuifolia (Field Ragweed) · A. tomentosa (Bur Sage Ragweed) · A. trifida (Blood Ragweed) · A. trifida var. texana (Texan Great Ragweed) · A. trifida var. trifida (Great Ragweed) · A. × helenae (Helen Ragweed) · A. × intergradiens (Intergrading Ragweed)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... Flora of Glacier National Park, Montana, by Paul C. Standley. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1921. url p. 430.
- A flora of western middle California, Berkeley, Cal., Encina Publishing Company, 1901. url .
- A manual of weeds, with descriptions of all the most pernicious and troublesome plants in the United States and Canada, their habits of growth and distribution, with methods of control, by Ada E. Georgia. .. with 385 illustrations by F. Schuyler Mathews. .. New York: The Macmillan Company, 1916, c1914. url p. 457.
- A manual of weeds: with descriptions of all the most pernicious and troublesome plants in the United States and Canada, their habits of growth and distribution, with methods of control / New York: Macmillan, 1919, c1914. url .
- A popular flora of Denver, Colorado, / by Alice Eastwood. San Francisco: Zoe Publishing Company. ..,  url p. 23, p. 23.
- A preliminary list of the Uredinales of California, by Walter C. Blasdale. Berkeley: University of California press, 1919. url p. 143, p. 154.
- A preliminary report on the biology of Harding County, northwestern South Dakota / by Stephen S. Visher. Pierre, S.D.: State Publishing Co., 1914. url p. 63.
- A provisional host-index of the fungi of the United States, by W. G. Farlow and A. B. Seymour. Cambridge, 1888-91. url p. 57.
- A provisional list of the indigenous and naturalized flowering plants of Jamaica, Kingston, Jamaica, Aston W. Gardner & Co., 1893. url .
- A study of the vegetation of southeastern Washington and adjacent Idaho. .. Lincoln, Neb. url p. 110.
- A vegetation index of biotic integrity for small-order streams in southwest Montana and a floristic quality assessment for western Montana wetlands / [Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2005]. url .
- Additions to the flora of Connecticut / E.B. Harger. .. [et al.]. Boston?: New England Botanical Club, 1917? url p. 251.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 342.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 278, p. 278.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 675.
- Annual report / Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. St. Paul: Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota, 1872-1898. url p. 79.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 19 1908 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 195, p. 207, p. 228.
- Annual report of the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station. [Orono, Me.: Maine State College, 1885-1953. url , , p. 91, p. 92.
- Annual report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904. url p. 127.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 38.
- Aquatic and wetland plants of southwestern United States, by Donovan S. Correll and Helen B. Correll. [Washington]Environmental Protection Agency; [For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1972. url p. 1642, p. 1644, p. 1645.
- Biologia centrali-americana; or, Contributions to the knowledge of the fauna and flora of Mexico and Central America. London, Pub. for the editors by R. H. Porter and Dulau & co., 1879-88. url .
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 113.
- Botany Cambridge, Mass., John Wilson and Son, 1880 url p. 344.
- Botany. By W. H. Brewer, Sereno Watson, and Asa Gray. Boston, Little, Brown, 1880. url p. 344.
- Botany. Cambridge, Mass., Welch, Bigelow, University Press, 1876-80. url p. 344.
- Botany. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1871. url , .
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 1031, p. 17, p. 19, p. 20, p. 572, p. 62, p. 73, p. 828.
- Budd's flora of the Canadian Prairie Provinces / [Ottawa]: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1987. url p. 685.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 758.
- Bulletin / Illinois Natural History Survey. Urbana, State of Illinois, Dept. of Registration and Education, Natural History Survey Division, 1918-1985. url p. 183, p. 280.
- Bulletin / Ohio Biological Survey. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University, 1913- url p. 226.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Biological Survey. Washington: G.P.O., 1904-1907. url p. 22.
- Bulletin from the laboratories of natural history of the State University of Iowa. Iowa City, Iowa: The University, 1888-. url p. 175, p. 225.
- Bulletin of the California Academy of Sciences. [S.l.: The Academy], 1884- url p. 402.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url p. 106, p. 110, p. 110, p. 119, p. 121, p. 128, p. 128, p. 140, p. 141, p. 141, p. 145, p. 145, p. 162, p. 163, p. 166, p. 166, p. 167, p. 167, p. 167, p. 169, p. 169, p. 170, p. 170, p. 175, p. 187, p. 187, p. 191, p. 192, p. 192, p. 30, p. 30, p. 368, p. 368, p. 54, p. 54, p. 56, p. 56, p. 58, p. 61, p. 61, p. 62, p. 62, p. 63, p. 66, p. 68, p. 68, p. 69, p. 69, p. 71, p. 71, p. 72, p. 72, p. 77, p. 77, p. 82, p. 82, p. 84, p. 84, p. 85, p. 93, p. 93.
- Bulletin of the Southern California Academy of Sciences Los Angeles, Calif.: The Academy, 1971- url p. 107.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 26 1899 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 141, p. 312, p. 404, p. 47, p. 489, p. 512, p. 555, p. 75.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 9.
- Bulletin, Gulf Biologic Station, Baton Rouge, Louisiana State Board of Agriculture and Immigration., 1902-1910. url p. 32.
- Bulletin. Bureau of Plant Industry. U. S. Department of Agriculture. 1901-13. WashingtonGovt. Print. Off. url , p. 58.
- Bulletin. California Academy of Sciences. San Francisco. San Francisco url p. 402, p. 525.
- California art & nature San Diego url .
- California fish and game. [San Francisco, etc.]: State of California, Resources Agency, Dept. of Fish and Game. url p. 155, p. 172, p. 241.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 113.
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants, arranged according to the phyletic classification; with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Univ Columbus, The Ohio State University, 1914. url .
- Catalog of Ohio vascular plants: arranged according to the phyletic classification: with notes on the geographical distribution in the state, based mainly on specimens in the State Herbarium, Botanical Laboratory, the Ohio State Uni by John H. Schaffner. Columbus: Ohio State University, 1914. url p. 226.
- Catalogue of Canadian plants. .. Montreal [etc.]1883-1902. url , p. 240, p. 240.
- Checklist of plants of the Ottawa District. Ottawa, 1958. url p. 85.
- Common and scientific names of weeds in Canada = Noms populaires et scientifiques des plantes nuisibles du Canada / Ottawa: Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada = Agriculture et agroalimentaire Canada, c2000. url p. 114.
- Common weeds of the Canadian Prairies; Ottawa, Queen's Printer, 1963. url p. 20, p. 22.
- Compositae newsletter. Columbus, Ohio: Dept. of Botany, Ohio State University, 1975- url p. 10, p. 10.
- Compositae of southern California / by Harvey Monroe Hall. Berkeley, [Calif.]: The University Press, 1907. url p. 119.
- Construction and stabilization of coastal foredunes with vegetation, Padre Island, Texas / Bill E. Dahl. .. [et al.]. Fort Belvoir, Va.: Coastal Engineering Research Center, U.S. Army, Corps of Engineers, 1975. url p. 35, p. 39.
- Contributions from the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1899- url p. 544.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 3 1892-1896 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 164, p. 171, p. 210, p. 233, p. 285, p. 430, p. 508, p. 546, p. 551, p. 552, p. 556, p. 557, p. 580, p. 581, p. 635, p. 757.
- Cooperative economic insect report. Hyattsville, MD. [etc.]Plant Protection and Quarantine Programs Animal and Plant Health Service. url p. 1072.
- Cultures of Uredineae 1899-1921. n.p., n.d. url p. 192, p. 235, p. 247.
- Damping-off in forest nurseries, by Carl Hartley. .. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1921. url p. 9.
- Descriptions of new species of fungi / Buffalo, N.Y.: Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences, 1873 url p. 188.
- Elementary flora of the Northwest, Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company[c1914] url .
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 118, p. 129.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 27.
- Erythea. a journal of botany, West American and general. 1 1893 Berkeley, Calif., University of California, 1893-1922. url p. 245.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 319, p. 359.
- FWS/0BS. [Washington]Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior. url p. 176.
- Farm weeds of Canada / by George H. Clark and James Fletcher; with illustrations by Norman Criddle. Ottawa: Published by direction of the Minister of Agriculture, 1906. url p. 52.
- Farm weeds of Canada, by George H. Clark and James Fletcher. With illustrations by Norman Criddle. Ottawa, Pub. by direction of the Hon. S. A. Fisher, Minister of Agriculture, 1906. url p. 52.
- Ferns and flowering plants of South Dakota. Sioux Falls, S.D.: W.A. Beach, 1899 url p. 200.
- First report on the flora of Wyoming / Aven Nelson. Laramie: Wyoming Experiment Station, 1896. url p. 132.
- Flora Peoriana; the vegetation in the climate of middle Illinois. Peoria, Ill., J. W. Franks & Sons, 1887. url , , p. 51, p. 76.
- Flora of Colorado, Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url .
- Flora of Colorado, by P. A. Rydberg, PH. D. Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url p. 328.
- Flora of Colorado, by P.A. Rydberg. Fort Collins, Col., Experiment Station, 1906. url p. 328, p. 328.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 961.
- Flora of Jamaica, containing descriptions of the flowering plants known from the island, by William Fawcett and Alfred Barton Rendle. London.Printed by order of the Trustees of the British Museum, 1910- url p. 216.
- Flora of Los Angeles and vicinity / by LeRoy Abrams. Stanford University, Cal. 1917. url p. 378.
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb.[c1912] url .
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the ferns, conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb., 1923 url p. 190.
- Flora of New Mexico / by E.O. Wooton and Paul C. Standley. Washington: G.P.O., 1915. url p. 635.
- Flora of New Mexico. By E.O. Wooton and Paul C. Standley. WashingtonGovt. Print. Off.1915 url p. 635.
- Flora of Santa Catalina island (California) / Charles Frederick Millspaugh and Lawrence William Nuttall. 5 1923 Chicago, 1923. url p. 261.
- Flora of Vermont. List of ferns and seed plants growing without cultivation. Prepared by Vermont Botanical Club. Burlington, Vt., Free Press Print. Co., 1915. url p. 249.
- Flora of southeastern Washington and adjacent Idaho / by Charles V. Piper and R. Kent Beattie. Lancaster, Pa.: New Era, 1914. url p. 258.
- Flora of the Black Hills of South Dakota. By P.A. Rydberg. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1896. url p. 508.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url .
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 1150, p. 1150.
- Flora of the southeastern Washington and adjacent Idaho, Lancaster, Pa., Press of the New Era Printing Company, 1914. url .
- Flora of the state of Washington / by Charles V. Piper. Washington: G.P.O., 1906 url p. 552.
- Flora of the state of Washington. By Charles V. Piper. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1906. url p. 552.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1987 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 139, p. 79.
- Illinois River Bluffs area assessment / Illinois Department of Natural Resources, Office of Scientific Research and Analysis, [and the] State Geological Survey Division. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources, 1998- url p. 172, p. 175.
- Iowa parks. Conservation of Iowa historic, scenic and scientific areas. Also, a description of numerous areas suitable for public state parks, with reasons for their preservation. Report of the State board of con Pub. by the state of Iowa. Des Moines url p. 56.
- Iowa parks. Des Moines url p. 56.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 287.
- Key to the Rocky Mountain flora; Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and parts of Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota, and British Columbia. New York, 1919. url p. 224.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. A physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. [Indianapolis]Dept. of Conservation, State of Indiana [Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 427.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. a physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. [Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 427.
- Lake Maxinkuckee: a physical and biological survey / by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. Indianapolis: Dept. of Conservation, 1920. url p. 427.
- Leaf-mining insects / by James G. Needham, Stuart W. Frost, Beatrice H. Tothill. Baltimore: The Williams & Wilkins company, [c1928] url p. 303.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 331.
- List of intercepted plant pests / United States Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine and Control Administration. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O.], 1932- url p. 159.
- Manual of the Flora of Jackson County, Missouri, By Kenneth K. MacKenzie, assisted by B. F. Bush and others. Kansas City, Mo., s.n., 1902 url p. 187.
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including the district east of the Mississippi, and north of North Carolina and Tennessee / New York: American Book Company, c1889. url p. 273.
- Manual of the botany of the region of San Francisco Bay. .. By Edward Lee Greene. .. San Francisco, Cubery & Company, Printers, 1894. url p. 187.
- Manual of the flora of Jackson County, Missouri, by Kenneth K. Mackenzie, assisted by B. F. Bush and others. Kansas City, Mo., 1902. url .
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 910.
- Memoirs and proceedings of the Manchester Literary & Philosophical Society. Manchester: The Society, 1888-1980. url p. 7.
- Memoirs of the American Entomological Society. Philadelphia, American Entomological Society, 1916- url p. 78.
- Michigan flora: a list of the fern and seed plants growing without cultivation / prepared by W.J. Beal. [Lansing, Mich.]: State Board of Agriculture: 1904. url .
- Minimum areas for different vegetations, their determination from species-area curves. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1949. url p. 52.
- Minnesota botanical studies. Minneapolis, Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. url p. 425, p. 425, p. 571, p. 594, p. 594, p. 967.
- Miscellaneous papers on the botany of Michigan, by C. K. Dodge. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Published as a part of the Annual report of the Board of Geological Survey for 1920. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford, State Printers, 1921. url p. 121, p. 71.
- Miscellaneous publication - University of Kansas, Museum of Natural History. 1967 Lawrence: University of Kansas, 1946-1996. url p. 10, p. 10, p. 11, p. 12, fig. 3, page 24.
- Miscellaneous studies in agriculture and biology. BerkeleyUniversity of California Press1919 url p. 123, p. 123, p. 67, p. 67.
- Muhlenbergia. Chico, Calif. [etc] url p. 99.
- National list of scientific plant names. [Washington, D.C.]: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Soil Conservation Service, 1982- url p. 19.
- New manual of botany of the central Rocky mountains (vascular plants) Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company[c1909] url .
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 27.
- Observations on the flowering plants, ferns and fern allies growing wild in Marquette County, Michigan, in 1916 and 1917, especially in the vicinity of the Huron Mountain Club. Ann Arbor, Michigan, Published by the University, 1918. url .
- Outlines of botany for the high school laboratory and classroom (based on Gray's Lessons in botany) by Robert Greenleaf Leavitt. .. prepared at the request of the Botanical Department of Harvard University. New York, American Book Co. url p. 273.
- Pamphlets on silviculture. [1899- url p. 9.
- Phytogeography of Nebraska. 1. General survey by Roscoe Pound and Frederic E. Clements. Lincoln, Neb.Published by the Seminar1900 url p. 298, p. 87.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 10, p. 112, p. 295, p. 301, p. 329, p. 330, p. 363, p. 38, p. 395, p. 401, p. 488, p. 66, p. 67, p. 80.
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 757.
- Plant life of Alabama. An account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. Prepared in cooperationwith the Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1901. url .
- Plant life of Alabama: an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state / by Charles Mohr. Montgomery, Ala.: Brown Printing Co., 1901. url p. 757.
- Plant species of special concern and plant associations of Sheridan County, Montana / Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, 2000. url .
- Plantae Lindheimerianae: an enumeration of F. Lindheimer's collection of Texan plants, with remarks and descriptions of new species, etc. / by George Engelmann and Asa Gray. Boston: Printed by Freeman and Bolles, 1845- url p. 173, p. 207.
- Plants of Iowa; a preliminary list of the native and introduced plants of the state, not under cultivation; comp. by Wesley Greene, secretary. Des Moines, Bishard brothers, printers, 1907. url p. 223.
- Pomona College journal of entomology. Claremont, Calif., U.S.A.: Published under the patronage of Ontario-Cucamonga Citrus Association by the Dept. of Biology of Pomona College, [1909?-1912?] url p. 402, p. 462, p. 462.
- Preliminary catalog of Anthophyta and Pteridophyta, reported as growing spontaneously within one hundred miles of New York City. New York, 1888. url p. 82.
- Preliminary report on the alfalfa weevil. [Phytonomus posticus] Washington, Govt. print. off., 1912. url p. 44.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url , , p. 49, p. 96.
- Proceedings of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Boston: Metcalf and Co., 1846-1958 url p. 104, p. 432, p. 560.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 199, p. 297, p. 385, p. 391, p. 46, p. 48.
- Proceedings of the Rochester Academy of Science. Rochester, N.Y.: The Academy.1889- url p. 27, p. 272.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 10, p. 15, p. 447.
- Report of the Commissioner of Agriculture. .. Washington: G.P.O., 1863-1889. url p. 474.
- Report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904-1916. url p. 130, p. 137, p. 196, p. 209.
- Report of the State Entomologist on the noxious and beneficial insects of the state of Illinois. [Springfield, Ill.?]: State Entomologist, [1876?]-1916. url p. 88.
- Report upon United States Geographical surveys west of the one hundredth meridian, Washington, Govt. print. off., 1875-89. url .
- Reports of the Survey. Botanical series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892- url p. 534, p. 594, p. 710, p. 711.
- Revision of the genus Phyllotreta chevrolat of America north of Mexico. Eric H. Smith. 28 1985 Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, 1985- url p. 167, p. 47.
- Selected vertebrate endangered species of the seacoast of the United States / prepared by National Fish and Wildlife Laboratory, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. [Washington]: The Service: [for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.], 1980. url p. 2.
- Sensitive plant species survey, Ashland District, Custer National Forest, Powder River and Rosebud Counties, Montana / by Bonnie L. Heidel and Hollis Marriott; for Custer National Forest. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url .
- Sensitive plant species survey, Garfield and McCone Counties, Montana / prepared by Bonnie L. Heidel; prepared for Bureau of Land Management. Helena, MT: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url , p. 45.
- Sensitive plant survey in the Sioux District, Custer National Forest, Carter County, Montana, and Harding County, South Dakota / prepared by Bonnie L. Heidel and Keith H. Dueholm; prepared for Custer National Forest. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c1995. url p. 33.
- Small, J. K. Flora of the southeastern United States;being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolin, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and the Indian territory and in Oklahoma and Texas east of the one-hundredth meridian /by John Kunkel Small. .. 1903 New York: The author, 1903. url p. 1150.
- Smithsonian contributions to knowledge. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1848-1916. url p. 104, p. 109, p. 86.
- Sources of the Ohio flora, by A.D. Selby and J.W.T. Duvel. Columbus, 1899 url p. 51.
- Studies in natural history. Iowa City, Ia. url p. 175, p. 225, p. 35, p. 8.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 38.
- Synoptical flora of North America. New York, American Book Company, 1878-1895/97 [v.2, pt. 1, 1878] url p. 250.
- Text-book of pastoral and agricultural botany, for the study of the injurious and useful plants of country and farm, by John W. Harshberger. .. with 121 illustrations. Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Son & Co., [c1920] url p. 112.
- Textbook of pastoral and agricultural botany, for the study of the injurious and useful plants of country and farm, by John W. Harshberger. .. with 121 illustrations. Philadelphia: P. Blakiston's Son & Co., [c1920] url p. 112, p. 112.
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 119, p. 34, p. 96.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. 13 1914 London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 433.
- The Asa Gray bulletin. 1 1952 Ann Arbor, Mich. url p. 148, p. 154.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 43 1929 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 137, p. 162, p. 18, p. 208, p. 359, p. 456, p. 494, p. 555, p. 645, p. 682, p. 90, p. 97.
- The Canadian record of science. Montreal, Natural History Society. url p. 364, p. 488.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url p. 119.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 43 1983 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 196, p. 197, p. 5, p. 627, p. 81.
- The Metaspermae of the Minnesota Valley: a list of the higher seed-producing plants indigenous to the drainage-basin of the Minnesota River / by Conway MacMillan. Minneapolis: Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota, 1892. url p. 534, p. 710, p. 711, p. 763.
- The Metaspermae of the Minnesota valley; a list of the higher seed-producing plants indigenous to the drainage-basin of the Minnesota river. Minneapolis[Harrison & Smith, State Printers]1892 url p. 534, p. 710, p. 711, p. 763.
- The Monthly bulletin of the State Commission of Horticulture. Sacramento, Calif.: The Commission, 1911-1919. url p. 45, p. 46.
- The North American Pyrenomycetes. A contribution to mycologic botany, Newfield, N. J., Ellis & Everhart, 1892 [c1890] url .
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 135, p. 68.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 51, p. 51.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 42.
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 176, p. 177, p. 180, p. 298.
- The Salton Sea; a study of the geography, the geology, the floristics, and the ecology of a desert basin, Washington, D.C.Carnegie Institution of Washington1914 url p. 113.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 25 1938 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 128, p. 134, p. 16, p. 21, p. 231, p. 231, p. 34, p. 35, p. 38, p. 55, p. 575, p. 679, p. 679, p. 682, p. 682, p. 686.
- The University of Missouri studies. Columbia, Mo.: The University, 1905- url p. 16, p. 164, p. 193, p. 195, p. 372, p. 45.
- The control of damping-off coniferous seedlings. Washington[Govt. print. off.]1917. url p. 5.
- The flora of Boulder, Colorado, and vicinity, by Francis Potter Daniels. .. [Columbia, Mo.]The University of Missouri, 1911. url p. 16, p. 195, p. 45.
- The flora of Tennessee and a philosophy of botany: respectfully dedicated to the citizens of Tennessee / by Augustin Gattinger. Nashville: Press of Gospel Advocate Pub. Co., 1901. url p. 162.
- The flora of the Gulf Biologic Station. Baton Rouge, Louisiana State Board of Agriculture and Immigration, 1907. url p. 32.
- The flora of the Palouse region. Containing descriptions of all the Spermatophytes and Pteridophytes known to grow wild in the area within 35 kilometers of Pullman, Washington. By Charles V. Piper and R. Kent Beattie. Pullman, Washington Agricultural College and School of Science, 1901. url p. 182.
- The geological and natural history survey of Minnesota: the twelfth annual report for the year 1883 / N.H. Winchell. Minneapolis: Johnson, Smith & Harrison, 1884. url p. 79.
- The insect enemies of the cotton boll weevil. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1912. url p. 82.
- The plants of Michigan; simple keys for the identification of the native seed plants of the state, by Henry Allan Gleason. Ann Arbor, G. Wahr, c1918. url p. 114.
- The plants of Prince Edward Island / Ottawa: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1985. url p. 252.
- The relation of leaf structure to physical factors.  url p. 43, p. 99.
- The small grains, by Mark Alfred Carleton. .. New York, The Macmillan company, 1916. url p. 465.
- The weed flora of Iowa / [by L. H. Pammel; with the collaboration of Charlotte M. King. .. et al.] Des Moines: Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 331, p. 483, p. 484, p. 651.
- The weed flora of Iowa Des Moines, Iowa geological survey, 1913. url , , , .
- The weed flora of Iowa. .. Des Moines, Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 332, p. 483, p. 484.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 44, p. 78, p. 82.
- Transactions of the Academy of Science of St. Louis. [St. Louis: Academy of Science of St. Louis], 1860-1958. url p. 134, p. 134, p. 134, p. 388, p. 7, p. 7.
- Transactions of the American Entomological Society Philadelphia: The Society, 1890- url p. 17.
- Transactions of the Illinois State Academy of Science. Springfield, Ill., Illinois State Academy of Science [etc.] url p. 170.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Geo. W. Martin url p. 14.
- Transactions of the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts, and Letters. [Madison]Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts, and Letters, 1870/72- url p. 139.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 184, p. 193, p. 69, p. 73, p. 84.
- Tulane studies in zoology and botany. 24 1983 New Orleans: Tulane University, [1968- url p. 128.
- University of California publications in botany. Berkeley, Calif., University of California Press, 1902-2001. url p. 123, p. 143, p. 154.
- University of Kansas publications, Museum of Natural History. 18 1969 Lawrence, University of Kansas. url fig. 1, page 263, p. 313, p. 681.
- University studies of the University of Nebraska. Lincoln. url p. 110, p. 334, p. 76, p. 79.
- Vascular plants of the Sangamon River basin; annotated checklist and ecological summary [by] Almut G. Jones and David T. Bell. [Urbana], University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Agriculture,  url p. 22.
- Watson, S. Botany /by Sereno Watson, aided by Daniel C. Eaton, and others. 5 1871 Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1871. url p. 165, p.
- Weed control / Berkeley, Calif.: College of Agriculture, University of California, 1936. url .
- Weeds of the North Central States. Urbana, Ill: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Agriculture, Agricultural Experiment Station,  url p. 182, p. 250, p. 281.
- Weeds of the farm and garden, by L.H. Pammel. .. New York, Orange Judd, 1912. url .
- Zoe:a biological journal. 1 1890 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 139, p. 214, p. 357.
- Ambrosia (Compositae). J. Arnold Arbor. 45: 401430.
- Payne, W. W. 1964. A re-evaluation of the genus
- Peterson, K. M. and W. W. Payne. 1973. The genus Hymenoclea (Compositae: Ambrosieae). Brittonia 25: 243256.
- Strother, J. L. and B. G. Baldwin. 2002. Hymenocleas are ambrosias (Compositae). Madroño 49: 143144.
- "Ambrosia psilostachya". in Flora of North America Vol. 21 Page 12, 15, 18. Published by Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- GCC: Global Compositae Checklist. Release date: November 18, 2009
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed January 23, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 3 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN) [Online Database]. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. URL (April 27, 2008)
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 15, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- Berkeley Natural History Museums, University and Jepson Herbaria DiGIR provider
- Canadian Museum of Nature, Canadian Museum of Nature Herbarium
- Institute of Nature Conservation PAS, IAS
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, NSW herbarium collection
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plant Herbarium, Oslo
- Oregon State University, Vascular Plant Collection
- School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University, Arizona State University Vascular Plant Herbarium
- The New York Botanical Garden, Vascular Plant Type Specimens
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- University of Vienna, Institute for Botany - Herbarium WU, Herbarium WU
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2657939
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Ast-657
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:176123-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 103825
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 36516
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 109235-3
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PDAST0C0L0
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: AMRU2
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 20771
- John L. Strother "Ambrosia". in Flora of North America Vol. 21 Page 3, 9, 10, 25. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 537.320 meters (1,762.861 feet), Standard Deviation = 566.720 based on 1,194 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]