Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Danish:
Common Names in English:
Boreal Alopecurus, Mountain Foxtail
Common Names in French:
Vulpin De Gérard, Vulpin Des Alpes
Common Names in German:
Alpen-Fuchsschwanz, Gerards Fuchsschwanz
Common Names in Italian:
Coda Di Topo Alpina, Coda Di Topo Di Gérard
. Leaf blades
, flat; ligule membranous. Inflorescence a spikelike panicle, densely cylindrical, spikelets
, closely packed; pedicels very short, apices cuplike. Spikelets protogynous, strongly laterally compressed
, floret 1, falling entire from pedicel; rachilla extension
equal, ± equaling and enclosing floret, broadly lanceolate to oblong
, membranous to thinly leathery, prominently 3-veined, strongly keeled
, keel usually ciliate
, infrequently winged
, lower margins
for up to half their length
, apex obtuse
, acute or shortly awned
; lemma broadly lanceolate to ovate
, usually thinly membranous, keeled, obscurely 5-veined, smooth
, lower margins often connate, awned from lower back, apex truncate
to acute; awn
straight when short or geniculate
, column smooth, usually twisted at maturity, bristle
; palea absent or very small. Lodicules absent; ovary glabrous. Caryopsis obliquely obovate
in side view
; endosperm sometimes liquid.
Between 40 and 50 species:temperate and cold regions of the N hemisphere, South America; eight species in China.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 3,632 meters (0 to 11,916 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Juncanae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Commelinidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Angiospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Alopecurus alpinus var. aristatus Hook.f. • Alopecurus alpinus glaucus (Less.) Hultén • Alopecurus alpinus stejnegeri (Vasey) Hultén • Alopecurus alpinus var. glaucus (Less.) Krylov • Alopecurus alpinus var. occidentalis (Scribn. & Tweedy) Boivin • Alopecurus alpinus var. stejnegeri (Vasey) Hultén • Alopecurus borealis Trin. • Alopecurus glaucus Less. • Alopecurus occidentalis Scribn. & Tweedy
Members of the genus Alopecurus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 20 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
A. aequalis (Marsh Meadow-Foxtail) · A. aequalis sonomensis var. sonomensis (Sonoma Alopecurus) · A. aequalis var. aequalis (Short-Awn Meadow-Foxtail) · A. aequalis var. sonomensis (Sonoma Shortawn Foxtail) · A. alpinus (Boreal Alopecurus) · A. alpinus glaucus (Boreal Alopecurus) · A. arundinaceus (Creeping Foxtail) · A. brachystachus (Foxtail) · A. carolinianus (Carolina Foxtail) · A. creticus (Cretan Meadow Foxtail) · A. geniculatus (Marsh Meadow-Foxtail) · A. geniculatus var. geniculatus (Water Foxtail) · A. geniculatus var. microstachyus (Water Foxtail) · A. myosuroides (Blackgrass) · A. pratensis (Field Meadow-Foxtail) · A. pratensis pratensis (Field Meadow-Foxtail) · A. pratensis 'Aureus' (Gold Foxtail Grass) · A. pratensis 'Variegatus' (Variegated Foxtail Grass) · A. rendlei (Rendle's Foxtail) · A. saccatus (Pacific Foxtail)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... Flora of Glacier National Park, Montana, by Paul C. Standley. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1921. url p. 283.
- A Manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants / Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1875. url , .
- A compendium of the Cybele britannica; or British plants in their geographical relations. London, Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1870. url .
- A compendium of the English flora. London, Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green & Longman, 1836. url p. 17.
- A natural arrangement of British plants: according to their relations to each other as pointed out by Jussieu, De Candolle, Brown, &c.. .. / with an introduction to botany. .. By Samuel Frederick Gray. .. London: Baldwin, Cradock, and Joy, 1821. url p. 142.
- A natural history of British grasses / by E.J. Lowe. London: John C. Nimmo, 1891. url p. 10, p. 18, p. 28, p. 8, p. 9.
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood; with sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url p. 203.
- A provisional host-index of the fungi of the United States, by W. G. Farlow and A. B. Seymour. Cambridge, 1888-91. url p. 147.
- A supplementary list of Chinese flowering plants, 1904-1910, url .
- A vegetation index of biotic integrity for small-order streams in southwest Montana and a floristic quality assessment for western Montana wetlands / [Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, c2005]. url , .
- American grasses / Washington: Gov. Print. Off., 1897-1901. url p. 156, p. 339.
- American grasses / by F. Lamson-Scribner. Washington: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Division of Agrontology, 1897- url p. 156.
- An Arctic ecosystem: the coastal tundra at Barrow, Alaska / edited by Jerry Brown. .. [et al.]. Stroudsburg, Pa.: Dowden, Hutchinson & Ross: c1980. url p. 206.
- An encyclopædia of agriculture: comprising the theory and practice of the valuation, transfer, laying out, improvement, and management of landed property; and the cultivation and economy of the animal and vegetable productions of ag By J. C. Loudon. London: Printed for Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1826. url p. 826.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 193, p. 562.
- Annual report of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, -1965. url p. 214, p. 214, p. 459.
- Annual report. United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories. 1st-12th, 1867-1878. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1867-83. url p. 496.
- Appendix C., vegetation/agricultural resources of the Beal Project area / prepared for Beal Mountain Mining, Inc.; prepared by Ken L. Scow, L. Dean Culwell. Helena, Mont.: Western Technology and Engineering,  url .
- Appendix [to] Captain Parry's journal [of a] second voyage [for] the discovery of a North West passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific [performed in] His Majesty's ships Fury and Hecla, [in] the years 1821-22-23. London: J. Murray, 1825. url .
- Appendix to Captain Parry's journal of a second voyage for the discovery of a north-west passage from the Atlantic to the Pacific, performed in His Majesty's ships Fury and Hecla in the years 1821-22-23. London: J. Murray, 1825. url .
- Botaniska notiser. Upsala: Wahlstro?m, 1857-c1980. url p. 110, p. 68.
- Brigham Young University science bulletin. 14 1971 Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University, [1955-1976] url fig. 23, page 26, p. 60.
- British grasses and their employment in agriculture, Cambridge, University press, 1917. url , .
- British grasses: an introduction to the study of the Gramineae of Great Britain and Ireland / 1867 London: Reeve & co., 1867 url figure , p. 139.
- British plants: their biology and ecology / by J. F. Bevis and H. J. Jeffery. London: A. Rivers, 1911. url p. 287, p. 287.
- British plants; their biology and ecology, London, Methuen url .
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. 7 1920 [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 327, p. 535, p. 536.
- Budd's flora of the Canadian Prairie Provinces / [Ottawa]: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1987. url p. 94.
- Bulletin / United States Department of Agriculture, Division of Agrostology. 1899-1901 Washington, D.C.: The Division, 1895-1901. url p. 334, p. 339.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 151.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 19 1892 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 386, p. 67.
- Bulletin of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories / Department of the Interior. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1874- url p. 828.
- Bulletin of the Wisconsin Natural History Society. Milwaukee, The Society, [1900-1920] url p. 78.
- Canada's missing dimension: science and history in the Canadian Arctic Islands / Ottawa: Canadian Museum of Nature, 1990. url p. 358, p. 434, p. 837.
- Carnegie Institution of Washington publication. Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1902- url p. 1, p. 1, p. 277.
- Chloris Melvilliana: a list of plants collected in Melville Island, (latitude 74-75 N., longitude 110-112 W.) in the year 1820 / London: Printed by W. Clowes, 1823. url p. 26.
- Contributions from the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1899- url p. 1.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 48 2003 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 103, p. 283, p. 53, p. 54, p. 580, p. 75, p. 98, p. 99.
- Contributions to North American ichthyology. Based primarily on the collections of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1877-78. url p. 166, p. 173.
- Cruise of the revenue steamer Corwin in Alaska and the N. W. Arctic ocean in 1881. .. Notes and memoranda. .. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1883. url p. 53.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 1-130 1906 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url p. 9.
- Cybele Britannica: or British Plants and their geographical relations. London, 1847-59. url p. 158, p. 26, p. 353, p. 391, p. 392, p. 465, p. 497, p. 50.
- Directory of Wetlands of International Importance. IUCN url p. 101, p. 757.
- Distribution and origin of life in America, by Robert Francis Scharff New York, Macmillan, 1912 url p. 104, p. 416.
- Ecological investigations of the tundra biome in the Prudhoe Bay region, Alaska / edited by Jerry Brown. [Fairbanks: University of Alaska], 1975. url p. 101, p. 103, p. 194, p. 196, p. 93, p. 94, p. 96, p. 98, p. 99.
- Elements of agricultural chemistry in a course of lectures for the Board of Agriculture. Philadelphia, B. Warner, 1821. url p. 260.
- Elements of agricultural chemistry, in a course of lectures for the Board of agriculture. By Sir Humphry Davy. .. Alexandria:and William F. Gray, 1815. url p. 342, p. x.
- Environmental assessment of the Alaskan Continental Shelf: Annual reports of principal investigators. [Boulder, Colo.]: U.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration, Office of Marine Pollution Assessment, url p. 46.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 321.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. 2 1934 [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 117.
- Flora scotica, or, A description of Scottish plants arranged both according to the artificial and natural methods: in two parts / by William Jackson Hooker. .. Edinburgh: A. Constable, 1821. url p. 459.
- Florigraphia britannica, or, Engravings and descriptions of the flowering plants and ferns of Britain / by Richard Deakin. London: Groombridge, 1857. url .
- Four years in the white North, by Donald B. MacMillan, illustrated from photographs by the author. New York, Harper & Brothers[c1918] url p. 400.
- General remarks, geographical and systematical, on the botany of Terra Australis / London: Printed by W. Bulmer, 1814. url p. 591.
- Grasses: a handbook for use in the field and laboratory / by H. Marshall Ward. Cambridge: University Press, 1901. url p. 101, p. 156, p. 178, p. 31.
- Grasses; a handbook for use in the field and laboratory. By H. Marshall Ward. Cambridge, University Press, 1908. url p. 178, p. 31.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1987 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 696.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 517.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url .
- Handbook of grasses, treating of their structure, classification, geographical distribution and uses, also describing the British species and their habitats. London, Macmillan, 1910. url , , .
- Hooker, J. D. The botany of the Antarctic voyage of H.M. discovery ships Erebus and Terror in the Years 1839-1843: under the command of Captain Sir James Clark Ross /by Joseph Dalton Hooker. London: Reeve Brothers, 1844-60. url p. 370, p. 552, p. c.
- Hooker, W. J. & G. A. W. Arnott. The botany of Captain Beechey's voyage;comprising an acount of the plants collected by Messrs. Lay and Collie, and other officers of the expedition, during the voyage to the Pacific and Behring's Strait, performed in His Majesty's ship Blossom, under the command of Captain F. W. Beechey. .. in the years 1825, 26, 27, and 28.By Sir William Jackson Hooker. .. and G. A. Walker Arnott. .. 1841 London, H. G. Bohn, 1841. url p. 131, p. 446.
- Hortus Gramineus Woburnensis; or, An account of the results of experiments on the produce and nutritive qualities of different grasses and other plants used as the food of the more valuable domestic animals; instituted by John, Du London, J. Ridgway, 1824. url p. 330, p. 388.
- Hortus gramineus Woburnensis: or, an account of the results of experiments on the produce, and nutritive qualities of different grasses, and other plants, used as the food of the more valuable domestic animals: instituted by John Duke of Bedford /Illustrated with dried specimens of the plants upon which these experiments have been made, and practical observations on their natural habits, and the soils best adapted to their growth; pointing out the kinds most profitable for permanent pasture, irrigated meadows, dry or upland pasture, and the alternate husbandry; accompanied with the discriminating characters of the species, and varieties. By George Sinclair. 1816 London: Printed by B. McMillan, 1816. url p. 126, p. 186.
- Hortus gramineus woburnensis; or, An account of the results of experiments on the produce and nutritive qualities of different grasses and other plants used as the food of the more valuable domestic animals: instituted by John, du By George Sinclair. London: J. Ridgway, 1826. url p. 256, p. 302.
- Ice-bound on Kolguev: a chapter in the exploration of Arctic Europe to which is added a record of the natural history of the island / by Aubyn Trevor-Battye; with numerous illustrations by J.T. Nettleship, Charles Whymper and the author. Westminster: A. Constable, 1895. url p. 415.
- Ice-bound on Kolguev; a chapter in the exploration of Arctic Europe, to which is added a record of the natural history of the island, Westminster, A. Constable and Company, 1895. url .
- Illustrations of North American grasses. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1891-93. url p. 93.
- Illustrations of the British flora: a series of wood engravings, with dissections, of British plants. London, L. Reeve, 1919. url .
- Journal of a third voyage for the discovery of a northwest passage, from the Atlantic to the Pacific; performed in the years 1824-25, in His Majesty's ships Hecla and Fury, under the orders of Captain William E. Parry. .. Philadelphia, H. C. Carey and I. Lee, 1826. url p. 205.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 1905 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 102, p. 129, p. 141, p. 167, p. 171, p. 203, p. 322, p. 323, p. 363, p. 373, p. 381, p. 393, p. 43, p. 430, p. 436, p. 78.
- Journal of the proceedings of the Linnean Society. London: The Society, 1857-1864. url p. 112, p. 118, p. 123, p. 124, p. 193, p. 206.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 38.
- List of rare, threatened and endemic plants in Europe (1982 edition) Council of Europe url p. 308.
- Manual of British botany: containing the flowering plants and ferns arranged according to the natural orders / by Charles Cardale Babington. London: John Van Voorst, 1856. url p. 391.
- Manual of British grasses / 1907 London: Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent,  url figures , p. 12, p. 44.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 103.
- Manual of the grasses of the United States / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington: U.S. G.P.O., 1935. url p. 347, p. 348, p. 787.
- Manual of the natural history, geology and physics of Greenland and the neighbouring regions / prepared for the use of the Arctic expedition of 1875, under the direction of the Arctic Committee of the London: Printed for H.M.S.O., 1875. url , , , .
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 11, p. 117, p. 118, p. 127, p. 137, p. 147, p. 152, p. 156, p. 166, p. 183, p. 189, p. 190, p. 193, p. 241, p. 261, p. 318, p. 337, p. 338, p. 341, p. 342, p. 347, p. 35, p. 352, p. 357, p. 360, p. 360, p. 363, p. 371, p. 374, p. 375, p. 376, p. 38, p. 384, p. 394, p. 398, p. 402, p. 410, p. 424, p. 427, p. 430, p. 49, p. 50, p. 54, p. 553, p. 567, p. 588, p. 7, p. 742, p. 87, p. 97, p. 983.
- Memoir and correspondence of the late Sir James Edward Smith, Ed. by Lady Smith. London, Longman, Rees, Orne Brown, Green and Longman, 1832. url p. 276, p. 593.
- Memoirs of the New York Botanical Garden. New York: The Garden, 1900- url p. 27, p. 27.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1893 - 18 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 38.
- Memorials, journal and botanical correspondence of Charles Cardale Babington. Cambridge, [Eng.]: Macmillan and Bowes, 1897. url p. 115, p. 289, p. 455.
- Narrative of a journey to the shores of the Polar Sea, in the years 1819, 20, 21, and 22 /by John Franklin. ..; with an appendix on various subjects relating to science and natural history; illustrated by numerous plates and maps. 1823 London: John Murray, 1823. url p. 731.
- Narrative of a voyage to the Polar Sea during 1875-76 in H.M. ships 'Alert' and 'Discovery' / with notes on the natural history, edited by H.W. Feilden. London: S. Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1878. url p. 312.
- Narrative of an expedition to the shores of the Arctic sea in 1846 and 1847 London: T. & W. Boone, 1850. url .
- Naturalist's guide to the Americas, prepared by the Committee on the Preservation of Natural Conditions of the Ecological Society of America, with assistance from numerous organizations and individuals, assembled and edited by chairman, Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins, 1926. url p. 101, p. 101, p. 88.
- New land; four years in the Arctic regions. Translated from the Norwegian, LondonLongmans, Green1904 url p. 181, p. 468.
- North American fauna. Washington: Fish and Wildlife Service; for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U. S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 245, p. 8.
- North Atlantic biota and their history; a symposium held at the University of Iceland, Reykjavík, July 1962, under the auspices of the University of Iceland and the Museum of Natural History. Editors: Askell Löve and Doris Löve. Sponsored Oxford, New York, Pergamon Press, 1963 url p. 215, p. 88, p. 99.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 2 1902 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 101, p. 121, p. 133, p. 145, p. 172, p. 184, p. 212, p. 262, p. 298, p. 344, p. 385, p. 404, p. 405, p. 479, p. 481, p. 55, p. 56, p. 62, p. 69, p. 96.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 301.
- Proboscidea: a monograph of the discovery, evolution, migration and extinction of the mastodonts and elephants of the world / by Henry Fairfield Osborn; edited by Mabel Rice Percy. New York: Published on the J. Pierpont Morgan Fund by the trustees of the American Museum of Natural History: 1936-1942. url p. 1127.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 214, p. 214, p. 95.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 146, p. 146.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 7 1884 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 529.
- Productive farming; or, A familiar digest of the recent discoveries of Liebig, Johnston, Davy, and other celebrated writers on vegetable chemistry; showing how the results of tillage might be greatly augmented. By Joseph A. Smith. New York, D. Appleton & Co., 1843. url p. 183, p. 200, p. 371.
- Pteridophyta, Gymnospermae and Monocotyledones / by O. Gelert and C.H. Ostenfeld. Copenhagen: Nordiske forlag, 1902. url p. 99.
- Publications in botany / Ottawa: The Museum, 1969- url p. 4.
- Publications in natural sciences = Publications de sciences naturelles / Ottawa: National Museums of Canada, 1983- url p. 10, p. 20, p. 32, p. 34, p. 35, p. 36, p. 38, p. 39, p. 42, p. 43, p. 45, p. 48.
- Report & transactions. BirminghamHerald Press url p. 130.
- Report of the Canadian Arctic Expedition 1913-18. Ottawa, F. A. Acland, Printer to the King, 1919- url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Report of the Commissioner of Agriculture for the Year 1868. Washington: G.P.O., 1869. url p. 189.
- Report of the Second Norwegian Arctic expedition in the "Fram" 1898-1902. .. Kristiania, In commission by T. O. Brøgger, 1907-1919. url , , , , , , , , , , .
- Report of the second Norwegian Arctic Expedition in the "Fram", 1898-1902. Published by Videnskabs-selskabet i Kristiania, at the expense of the Fridjof Nansen Fund for the Advancement of Science. KristianiaT.O. Brøgger1907-19 url , , , , , , , , .
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 61.
- Reports of the Princeton University Expeditions to Patagonia, 1896-1899. J. B. Hatcher in charge. Edited by William B. Scott. Princeton, The University, 1901-32 [v. 1, 1903] url p. 22, p. 28, p. 29, p. 34, p. 35.
- Reports. OttawaKing's Printer1917 url p. 7, p. 8.
- Revision of the British willows. London, Linnean Society, 1889. url p. 264.
- Rocky Mountain wild flower studies; an account of the ways of some plants that live in the Rocky Mountain region, by Burton O. Longyear. .. with illustrations from nature by the author. Denver, Merchants Publishing Co., c1909 url p. 406.
- Rocky mountain flowers; an illustrated guide for plantlovers and plant-users; with twenty-five plates in color and twenty-one plates in black and white [by] Frederic Edward Clements...and Edith Schwartz Clements... 1914 New York city, the H.W. Wilson company, 1914. url p. 344.
- Science. New York, N.Y.: [s.n.]1880- url p. 63.
- Seemann, B. The botany of the voyage of H.M.S. Herald: under the command of Captain Henry Kellett, R.N., C.B., during the years 1845-51 /by Berthold Seemann. 1852-1857 London: Lovell Reeve, 1852-1857. url p. 54, p. 55.
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 23 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 173, Index.
- Status review of Agoseris lackschewitzii, U.S.D.A., Forest Service, Region 1, Gallatin National Forest, Montana / prepared by Diane S. Pavek and Lisa Ann Schassberger. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program, . url p. 31.
- Supplement to the appendix of Captain Parry's voyage for the discovery of a north-west passage in the years 1819-20 containing an account of the subjects of natural history. London: J. Murray, 1824. url .
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url , p. 11, p. 15, p. 15, p. 17, p. 26, p. 53, p. 53, p. 56, p. 59, p. 62, p. 9.
- Taxonomic literature: a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types (TL2) Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema, 1976-1988. url p. 495.
- The American journal of science. 23 (2) 1857 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 387.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 136, p. 137, p. 189, p. 189, p. 358.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 122, p. 260.
- The Asa Gray bulletin. 2 1953 Ann Arbor, Mich. url p. 88, p. xi.
- The British flora: comprising the phaenogamous or flowering plants, and the ferns / London, 1855. url p. 530.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. 54 1940 Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url polunin , cody , title page, index , , title page, index , fig. 9 , fig. 1 , title page, index , fig. 1 , calder , p. 111, p. 117, p. 120, p. 121, p. 122, p. 127, p. 128, p. 129, p. 130, p. 137, p. 160, p. 166, p. 180, p. 183, p. 210, p. 211, p. 222, p. 282, p. 282, p. 305, p. 33, p. 360, p. 361, p. 365, p. 378, p. 393, p. 417, p. 421, p. 436, p. 474, p. 50, p. 518, p. 555, p. 669, p. 685, p. 73, p. 8, p. 82, p. 9, p. 90.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 333, p. 337, p. 352.
- The Cottage gardener. [London: W.S. Orr, url p. 394.
- The English flora. London, Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, [1828-30] url p. 81.
- The Entomologist's monthly magazine. Oxford [etc.]Entomologist's Monthly Magazine Ltd. [etc.] url , .
- The Eskimo tribes; their distribution and characteristics, especially as regards language, with a comparative vocabulary and sketch-map. Copenhagen1887-91. url p. 137, p. 147, p. 148, p. 152, p. 190, p. 35, p. 87, p. 97.
- The Farmers' register. Richmond, Va.: Edmund Ruffin, 1833-1843. url p. 685.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 502, p. 628.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url p. 1128, p. 794, p. 985.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 171, p. 172, p. 197, p. 845.
- The Great Basin naturalist. 41 1981 Provo, Utah: M.L. Bean Life Science Museum, Brigham Young University, 1939-1999. url p. 4.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 11 1871 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 33, p. 333, p. 510.
- The North American Pyrenomycetes a contribution to mycologic biology / by J.B. Ellis and B.M. Everhart; with original illustrations by F.W. Anderson. Newfield, N.J.: Ellis & Everhart, 1892. url .
- The North American Pyrenomycetes. A contribution to mycologic botany, Newfield, N. J., Ellis & Everhart, 1892 [c1890] url , .
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 136, p. 136.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 345, p. 377, p. 584.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 442, p. 791, p. 916, p. 971, p. 972.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 14, p. 259, p. 267, p. 77.
- The birds of Tierra del Fuego / 1907 London: B. Quaritch, 1907. url p. xviii.
- The code of agriculture; including observations on gardens, orchards, woods and plantations; with an account of all recent improvements in the management of arable and grass land. By John Sinclair. London, Sherwood, Gilbert & Piper, 1832. url p. 85.
- The differentiation and specificity of starches in relation to genera, species, etc.; stereochemistry applied to protoplasmic processes and products, and as a strictly scientific basis for the classification of plants and animals Washington, D.C.Carnegie institution of Washington1913 url p. 1, p. 277.
- The flora of Disko Island and the adjacent coast of West Greenland from 66-71 N. lat.: with remarks on phytogeography, ecology, flowering, fructification and hibernation / by Morten P. Porsild; assisted by A. Erling Porsild. København: B. Lunos bogt., 1920 [i.e. 1926]- url p. 32, p. 32.
- The fur seals and fur-seal islands of the North Pacific ocean. Washington, Govt. Print. Off.1898-99. url .
- The genera of grasses of the United States: with special reference to the economic species / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, 1920. url p. 137.
- The grasses of Britain / by Richard Parnell; drawn and engraved by the author. Edinburgh: W. Blackwood, 1845. url p. 12, p. 13, p. 14, p. 149, p. 15, p. 20, p. 22, p. 3, p. 64.
- The grasses of Great Britain, London, R. Hardwicke url , .
- The grasses of Scotland. Edinburgh [etc.]W. Blackwood and Sons, 1842. url , p. 12, p. 14, p. 15, p. 20, p. 3, p. 64.
- The miscellaneous botanical works of Robert Brown vol. II, containing III. systematic memoirs, and IV. contributions to systematic works. London: Published for the Ray Society by R. Hardwicke, 1867. url .
- The plant community [by] Herbert C. Hanson [and] Ethan D. Churchill. New York, Reinhold Pub. Corp. url p. 16, p. 203.
- The true grasses, by Eduard Hackel. Translated from Die natürlichen Pflanzenfamilien, by F. Lamson-Scribner and Effie A. Southworth. New York, H. Holt, 1890. url p. 31.
- The vascular plants in the flora of Ellesmereland / H. G. Simmons. Kristiania: Videnskabs-selskabet i Kristiania, 1906. url p. 177.
- The voyage of the Vega round Asia and Europe; with a historical review of previous journeys along the north coast of the Old World, by A.E. Nordenkiöld, tr. by Alexander Leslie, with five steel portraits, numerous maps, and illustrations. New York, Macmillan and Co., 1882. url p. 150, p. 259, p. 269.
- Through the heart of Patagonia, New York, D. Appleton and Company, 1902. url .
- Through the heart of Patagonia, by H. Hesketh Prichard. .. with illustrations from drawings in colour and black and white, by John Guille Millais. .. and from photographs New York, D. Appleton and company, 1902 url p. 339.
- Topographical botany: being local and personal records towards shewing the distribution of British plants traced through the 112 counties and vice-counties of England, Wales, and Scotland. London, B. Quaritch, 1883. url .
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 207, p. 208, p. 210.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 319, p. 319, p. 336, p. 357.
- Transactions of the Botanical Society. Edinburgh: Botanical Society of Edinburgh, 1841-1891. url p. 111, p. 467.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London, 2nd series: Botany 6 1901-1905 London. url p. 336, p. 356.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, The Society. url , p. 159, p. 289, p. 387, p. 418.
- Transactions of the Watford Natural History Society and Hertfordshire Field Club. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1875-1880. url p. 133.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 107, p. 95.
- Tundra biome research in Alaska: the structure and function of cold-dominated ecosystems / Jerry Brown and George C. West. [College, Alaska]: U.S. Tundra Biome-Analysis Ecosystem, International Biological Program, 1970. url p. 30.
- Vascular plant and sensitive plant species inventory for the highland mountains, Deerlodge National Forest; prepared for Deerlodge National Forest / prepared by Peter Lesica. Helena, Mont.: Montana Natural Heritage Program,  url p. 24, p. 45.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed March 28, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 3 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- The International Plant Names Index. Accessed Dec 27, 2011.
- USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN) [Online Database]. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. URL (May 04, 2008)
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 04, 2007:
- Canadian Museum of Nature, Canadian Museum of Nature Herbarium
- GBIF-Spain, Institut Botanic de Barcelona, BC
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alaska Museum of the North, University of Alaska Museum of the North Herbarium
- University of Washington Burke Museum, Vascular Plant Collection - University of Washington Herbarium
- Utah State University, USU-UTC Specimen Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2329942
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-40433
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13753246
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:387011-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 2639
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 996450-1
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PMPOA07020
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 167305
- Sheng-lian Lu & Sylvia M. Phillips "Alopecurus". in Flora of China Vol. 22 Page 316, 364. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 969.030 meters (3,179.232 feet), Standard Deviation = 920.490 based on 191 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]