Low or stemless succulent from Africa, with prickly margined , pointed leaves that exude a yellowish, gelatinous , medicinal sap when cut . The yellow flowers are borne on stalks up to about three feet tall.
- This is the aloe of commerce and source of bitter aloe. Most of the world's supply is grown in southern Texas and adjacent northwestern Mexico and the West Indies. The species is thought to be native to the Atlantic islands and is widely used as an indoor ornamental . It is often cultivated outdoors in the southwestern United States, where it occasionally escapes . [source]
- The sap from the Aloe is considered very helpful for burns and abrasions and other skin problems such as athlete's foot .
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in Amharic:
Common Names in Arabic:
Common Names in Azerbaijani:
Common Names in Bengali, Bangla:
Common Names in Bulgarian:
Common Names in Burmese:
Common Names in Catalan, Valencian:
Common Names in Chinese:
Common Names in Dutch:
Common Names in English:
Aloe Vera, Aloe, Barbados Aloe, Bitter aloes, Burn Plant, Curaçao Aloe, Curaçao aloe, Medicinal Aloe, Medicine plant, Savila, True Aloe, Unguentine Cactus, West Indian Aloe
Common Names in Esperanto:
Common Names in Finnish:
Common Names in French:
Common Names in Galician:
Common Names in German:
Common Names in Greek (modern):
Αλόη η γνησία
Common Names in Haitian, Haitian Creole:
Common Names in Hebrew (modern):
Common Names in Hindi:
Common Names in Indonesian:
Common Names in Japanese:
Common Names in Javanese:
Common Names in Kazakh:
Common Names in Latvian:
Common Names in Macedonian:
Common Names in Malay:
Pokok Lidah Buaya
Common Names in Malayalam:
Common Names in Nepali:
Common Names in Persian (Farsi):
Common Names in Polish:
Common Names in Portuguese:
Babosa, Babosa-Medicinal, Erva-Babosa
Common Names in Russian:
Common Names in Sanskrit (Saṁskṛta):
Common Names in Serbian:
Common Names in Slovak:
Common Names in Spanish:
Acibar, Aloe, Sávila
Common Names in Sundanese:
Common Names in Swedish:
Common Names in Telugu:
Common Names in Thai:
Common Names in Tonga (Tonga Islands):
Common Names in Turkish:
Common Names in Vietnamese:
succulent, shrubby or arborescent
. Stems erect
, branched or not. Leaves succulent, crowded, often rosulate or distichous; blade
spiny-toothed or entire. Inflorescences axillary
to more often racemose, dense, bracteate
. Flowers usually nodding
; perianth red to yellow; tepals connate
basally to almost entirely into tube
; stamens 3 or 6; style slender; pedicel not articulate
. Capsules papery
to woody. x
Species 300 or more: introduced ; primarily s and tropical Africa; also Madagascar, Arabian peninsula, and Atlantic islands (Madeira , Canary, and Cape Verde) ; naturalized in the Mediterranean region, India, and China.
Species Aloe vera
Plants short-stemmed, woody-based, stoloniferous . Stems to 50 cm; scarious leaf sheaths persistent . Leaves alternate, rosulate to distichous, 10-50 × 10-70 cm; blade glaucous-green to variegated with small white or glaucous dots, irregular bands , or blotches, often reddish near apex or margins , lanceolate to ensate, tapering from base to apex, glabrous , margins green, spiny-toothed, teeth 1-1.5 cm apart. Inflorescences terminal , usually unbranched, racemose, 10-15 dm, usually covered with scalelike bracts; racemes cylindrical, dense, 0.5 m ; bracts glabrous or puberulent , with 3 prominent purple veins that are confluent at tips . Flowers: perianth yellow; tepals prominently 3-veined, connate basally for 1/2 their length , lobes broadly linear to oblong-lanceolate, apex rounded ; stamens 6, included to slightly exserted, slightly unequal; filaments 2-2.5 cm; anthers 2.5-4 mm; style usually exserted; stigmas not expanded; pedicel 2.2-3.3 cm. Capsules somewhat elongate . 2n = 14. Flowering spring--winter, occasionally at other times. [source]
Habit: Evergreen .
Flowers: Bloom Period: April, May. • Flower Color: goldyellow-orange
Size: 18-24" tall.
Hammocks , sandy areas, roadsides, and similar places in full sun ; 0 and 1300 m .
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 4,653 meters (0 to 15,266 feet).
Culture: Space 18-24" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 6.1 • Maximum pH: 7.8
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Light Shade.
Moisture: Drought Tolerance: High
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 9a, 9b, 10a, 10b, 11. (map)
- Chatton, 1925
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997, nom. inval.
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Novák ex Takht. (1967)
- Novák ex Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Order: Asparagales () - Link, 1829
- Superorder: Lilianae () - Takhtajan, 1967 - Monocots
- Subclass: Magnoliidae () - Novák ex Takhtajan, 1967 - Angiosperms
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Novák ex Takht. (1967)
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997, nom. inval.
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Aloe perfoliata Thunb. Var. vera L. • Aloe perfoliata var. vera L. • Aloe perfoliata vera L. • Aloe vulgaris Lam.
Publishing author : Mill . Publication : Gard. Dict., ed. 8. n. 15 1768 [16 Apr 1768]
Members of the genus Aloe
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 280 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus. Here are just 100 of them:
A. aculeata (Aloe) · A. acutissima (Aloe) · A. acutissima var. antanimorensis (Aloe) · A. affinis (Aloe) · A. africana (Spiny Aloe) · A. albiflora (Aloe) · A. alooides (Aloe) · A. amudatensis (Aloe) · A. andongensis (Aloe) · A. andringitrensis (Aloe) · A. angelica (Aloe) · A. arborescens (Candelabra Aloe) · A. arenicola (Aloe) · A. aristata (Guinea Fowl Aloe) · A. asperifolia (Aloe) · A. audhalica (Audhali Aloe) · A. bakeri (Dwarf Aloe) · A. ballyi (Rat Aloe) · A. barbadensis var. chinensis (Aloe) · A. barberae (Giant Tree Aloe) · A. barberiae (Boomaalwyn) · A. bellatula (Aloe) · A. berhana (Aloe) · A. betsileensis (Aloe) · A. bowiea (Aloe) · A. branddraaiensis (Aloe) · A. brevifolia (Aloe) · A. brevifolia var. depressa (Aloe) · A. broomii (Aloe) · A. broomii var. tarkaensis (Aloe) · A. buchlohii (Aloe) · A. buettneri (Aloe) · A. buhrii (Aloe) · A. bulbilifera (Aloe) · A. bulbillifera var. paulianae (Aloe) · A. burgersfortensis (Aloe) · A. bussei (Aloe) · A. cameronii (Aloe) · A. cameronii var. dedzana (Aloe) · A. camperi (Aloe) · A. camperi 'Cornuta' (Aloe) · A. capitata (Aloe) · A. capitata var. cipolinicola (Aloe) · A. capitata var. gneissicola (Aloe) · A. capitata var. quartziticola (Aloe) · A. castanea (Cats Tail Aloe) · A. castanea x vryheidensis (Aloe) · A. castellorum (Aloe) · A. chabaudii (Aloe) · A. chabaudii 'Transvaal Form' (Aloe) · A. cheranganiensis (Aloe) · A. ciliaris (Climbing Aloe) · A. classenii (Aloe) · A. collenetteae (Aloe) · A. comosa (Clanwilliam Aloe) · A. comptonii (Aloe) · A. concinna (Aloe) · A. confusa (Aloe) · A. conifera (Aloe) · A. cooperi (Aloe) · A. craibii (Grass Aloe) · A. cryptoflora (Aloe) · A. cryptopoda (Aloe) · A. dawei 'Jacob's Ladder' (Dawes Aloe) · A. decaryi (Aloe) · A. delphinensis (Aloe) · A. deltoideodonta (Aloe) · A. descoingsii (Aloe) · A. dhufarensis (Aloe) · A. dichotoma (Kokerboom) · A. dinteri (Namibia Partridge Breast Aloe) · A. diolii (Aloe) · A. distans (Golden Tooth Aloe) · A. divaricata (Aloe) · A. dorotheae (Aloe) · A. dyeri (Aloe) · A. elegans (Aloe) · A. elgonica (Aloe) · A. ellenbeckii (Aloe) · A. erinacea x arborescens (Aloe) · A. eru (Aloe) · A. esculenta (Aloe) · A. excelsa (Noble Aloe) · A. falcata (Aloe) · A. ferox (Aloe) · A. fibrosa (Aloe) · A. fleurentinorum (Aloe) · A. flexilifolia (Aloe) · A. fosteri (Aloe) · A. fragilis (Aloe) · A. framesii (Aloe) · A. gariepensis (Aloe) · A. gerstneri (Aloe) · A. glauca (Blue Aloe) · A. glauca var. Glauca (Blouaalwyn) · A. glauca var. spinosior (Aloe) · A. globuligemma (Aloe) · A. gracilis (Aloe) · A. grandidentata (Bontaalwyn) · A. greatheadii (Aloe)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A compend of veterinary materia medica and therapeutics. New York, W. R. Jenkins[c1896] url .
- A descriptive catalogue of useful fiber plants of the world: including the structural and economic classifications of fibers / by Charles Richards Dodge. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1897. url p. 202, p. 54, p. 55.
- A hand-book to the flora of Ceylon: containing descriptions of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to the island, and notes on their history, distribution, and uses: with an atlas of plates illustrating some of the more inte by Henry Trimen. London: Dulau, 1893-1931. url p. 281.
- A manual flora of Egypt / by Reno Muschler. With a preface by Paul Ascherson and Georg Schweinfurth. Berlin, R. Friedlaender, 1912. url p. 1200.
- A manual of organic materia medica and pharmacognosy; an introduction to the study of the vegetable kingdom and the vegetable and animal drugs (with syllabus of inorganic remedial agents) comprising the botanical and physical characteristics, source, con Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 117.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url .
- A systematic catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to or growing wild in Ceylon. Colombo: G. J. A. Skeen, 1885. url .
- A text book of materia medica, being an account of the more important crude drugs of vegetable and animal origin, designed for students of pharmacy and medicine. London, Churchill, 1920. url p. 435.
- A text-book of botany and pharmacognosy: intended for the use of students of pharmacy, as a reference book for pharmacists, and a handbook for food and drug analysts / by Henry Kraemer. Philadelphia & London: J. B. Lippincott company[c1910] url p. 238, p. 662.
- A text-book of botany, by Dr. Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck, Ludwig Jost [and] Dr. George Karsten. LondonMacmillan1912 url p. 707.
- A text-book of botany, by Eduard Strasburger. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. Fritz Noll. .. [and] Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan and co., limited, 1908. url p. 543.
- A text-book of materia medica and pharmacy for medical students / by V.E. Henderson. Toronto: University Press,  url p. 31.
- A voyage to China and the East Indies, by Peter Osbeck. Together with A Voyage to Suratte, by Olof Toreen and an account of the Chinese husbandry, by Captain Charles Gustavus Eckeberg. Tr. from the German, by John Reinhold Forster, F. A. S London, B. White, 1771. url p. 52.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 204.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 55, p. 56.
- Annotated CITES appendices and reservations 1988 IUCN url p. 40.
- Annual report of the Director to the Board of Trustees for the year. .. / Field Museum of Natural History Chicago, U.S.A.: Field Museum of Natural History, 1907-1943. url p. 126, p. 144, p. 233.
- Annual report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1916-1921. url p. 189.
- Applied and economic botany for students in technical and agricultural schools, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, for chemists, food analysts and for the those engaged in the morphological and physiological study of plants. New York, Wiley url p. 487.
- Applied and economic botany, especially adapted for the use of students in technical schools, agricultural, pharmaceutical and medical colleges, and also as a book of reference for chemists, food analysts and students engaged in by Henry Kraemer. .. illustrated with 424 plates, comprising about 2000 figures. Philadelphia, The author[c1914] url p. 487, p. 487.
- Biology: concepts and applications / Cecie Starr. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth Pub., c1997. url p. 385, p. 787, p. 811.
- Botanical Museum leaflets, Harvard University. 10 1942 Cambridge, Mass.: Botanical Museum, Harvard University, 1932- url p. 143.
- Botanical publications of E.D. Merrill. [New York, etc., 1899- url p. 204.
- Botany of Socotra. By Isaac Bayley Balfour. .. with the assistance of other botanists. .. Edinburgh, R. Grant, 1888. url p. 291.
- Bulletin / Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1971. url p. 196, p. 219, p. 361.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information. Additional Series. Royal Gardens, Kew. 9 1922 [Kew, Surrey: Royal Botanic Gardens], 1898-1936; url p. 704.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 111, p. 115, p. 286, p. 386.
- Carotenoids, by Paul Karrer and Ernst Jucker. Translated and rev. by Ernest A. Braude. New York, Elsevier Pub. Co., 1950. url p. 70.
- Carotenoids, their comparative biochemistry. New York, Chemical Pub. Co., 1954. url p. 51.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 136, p. 532, p. 95.
- Checklist of CITES Species CITES, WCMC url p. 22, p. 245, p. 247, p. 249, p. 252, p. 254, p. 255, p. 257, p. 263, p. 265, p. 30, p. 311, p. 38.
- Checklist of CITES Species and Annotated CITES Appendices and Reservations CITES Secretariat, UNEP-WCMC url p. 24, p. 40, p. 8.
- Checklist of CITES Species: a reference to the appendices to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora CITES url p. 20, p. 253, p. 32, p. 8.
- Coloring matters for foodstuffs and methods for their detection. . .. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1905 url p. 9.
- Contribution [I]-III to the coastal and plain flora of Yucatan, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh. 1 1896 Chicago, 1895-1898. url p. 292, p. v.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 52 2005 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 134, p. 135, p. 38, p. 398, p. 449, p. 493, p. 73.
- Curtis's botanical magazine. 36 1812 London; New York [etc.]: Academic Press [etc.] url , .
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 52.
- Cyclopedia of farm crops: a popular survey of crops and crop-making methods in the United States and Canada / edited by L.H. Bailey. New York: Macmillan, 1922, c1907. url p. 267.
- Dedication papers: scientific papers presented at the dedication of the laboratory building and plant houses, April 19-21, 1917. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1918. url p. 35.
- Economic plants. An index to economic products of the vegetable kingdom in Jamaica. Comp. by William Fawcett. .. Jamaica, Govt. Print. Establishment, 1891. url p. 8.
- Elementary plant physiology, London [etc.]Longmans, Green, and Co., 1902. url .
- Elementary plant physiology. New York, Longmans, 1906. url p. 135.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 130.
- Flora medica; a botanical account of all the more important plants used in medicine in different parts of the world. London, Longman, 1838. url p. 595.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 71.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 71.
- Flora of Costa Rica. .. by Paul C. Standley. .. 18 1937 Chicago, 1937. url p. 168.
- Flora of Guatemala / Paul C. Standley and Julian A. Steyermark. 24 1952 Chicago: Chicago Natural History Museum, 1952. url p. 65.
- Flora of Peru / by J. Francis Macbride. 13 1936 Chicago, U.S.A.: Field Museum of Natural History,  url p. 618.
- Flora of Peru... by J. Francis Macbride. 13 1936 Chicago, 1936- url p. 14.
- Flora of Yucatan, by Paul C. Standley. 3 1930 Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, 1930. url p. 227.
- Flora of tropical Africa. By Daniel Oliver. .. assisted by other botanists. London, L. Reeve, 1868-1902. url p. 465.
- Gardening in California, San Francisco, A. M. Robertson, 1914. url p. 12, p. 219.
- Gardening in California, landscape and flower, by John McLaren... San Francisco, A. M. Robertson, 1909. url , , p. 218, p. 218.
- Gardening in Egypt: a handbook of gardening for Lower Egypt, by Walter Draper. .. London, L.U. Gill, 1895. url p. 74.
- Gardening. Chicago, the Gardening Co., 1892-1925. url p. 110.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1992 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 1248, p. 892, p. 897, p. 914.
- Guide to the Economic Museum of the New York Botanical Garden. New York, 1921. url p. 111, p. 286.
- Hand-list of tender momocotyledons, excluding Orchideae, cultivated in the Royal Gardens, Kew. London, Printed for H. M. S. O., by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1897. url p. 179.
- Hand-list of tender monocotyledons, excluding Orchideae, cultivated in the Royal Gardens, Kew. 1897. LondonPrinted for H.M. Stationery Off. by Eyre and Spottiswoode1897 url p. 179.
- Happy houseplants: how to grow and maintain your indoor plants / by Elizabeth Walker. Santa Monica, CA: Santa Monica Press, c1992. url p. 116.
- Hortus Kewensis, or, A catalogue of the plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Garden at Kew /by William Aiton. .. 1 1789 London: Printed for George Nicol, Bookseller to his Majesty, 1789. url p. 466.
- Hortus Mortolensis: enumeratio plantarum in Horto Mortolensi cultarum = Alphabetical catalogue of plants growing in the garden of the late Sir Thomas Hanbury. .. at La Mortola, Ventimiglia, Italy / compiled by Alwin Berger. London: West, Newman, 1912. url p. 371.
- Investigation of the potential antibacterial properties of Aloe vera gel / by Gwen M. Fisher. 1991. url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Journal of ethnobiology. 17 1997 Flagstaff, Ariz.: Center for Western Studies, 1981- url p. 212.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 42 1941 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 88, p. 92.
- List of intercepted plant pests / United States Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine and Control Administration. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O.], 1932- url p. 15, p. 28, p. 75.
- Manual of the southeastern flora: being descriptions of the seed plants growing naturally in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, eastern Louisiana, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia. 1933 New York: The author, 1933. url p. 302.
- Memoirs / Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Garden, 1918-1936. url p. 35.
- Miller, P. The gardeners dictionary: containing the best and newest methods of cultivating and improving the kitchen, fruit, flower garden, and nursery, as also for performing the practical parts of agriculture, including the management of vineyards, with the methods of making and preserving wine, according to the present practice of the most skilful vignerons in the several wine countries in Europe, together with directions for propagating and improving, from real practice and experience, all sorts of timber trees /by Philip Miller. 1768 London: Printed for the author and sold by John and Francis Rivington. .. [and 23 others], 1768. url p. ALO-ALO.
- Nature's healing arts: from folk medicine to modern drugs / by Lonnelle Aikman; photos. by Nathan Benn and Ira Block; paintings by Tony Chen; prepared by the Special Publications Division. Washington: National Geographic Society, c1977. url p. 10, p. 196, p. 197, p. 55.
- New illustrated encyclopedia of gardening, unabridged. Edited by T.H. Everett, with contributions from twenty horticulturists and authorities in the United States and Canada. New York, Greystone Press[1964-] url p. 85.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 9 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 447.
- Notes on agave and furcraea in India (Dict. ec. pr., vol.1, A.602-638; vol.3, F.749) by J. R. Drummond and D. Prain, with a glossary. Calcutta, The Bengal secretarial book depot, 1906. url p. 109.
- Official guide to the museums of economic botany. London, Printed for H.M. Stationary Off. by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1895. url p. 21.
- Origin and history of all the pharmacopeial vegetable drugs, chemicals and preparations with bibliography... Prepared under the auspices of and pub. by the American drug manufacturers' association, Washington, D.C. Cincinnati: The Caxton press, [c1921] url p. 4.
- Ornamental gardening in Florida, by Charles Torrey Simpson; a treatise on the decorative plants adapted to Florida and their cultivation, with suggestions for the ornamentation of Florida homes and grounds. Little River, Fla., The author, 1916. url p. 167, p. 167, p. 187.
- Pamphlets on forestry in California. [1900?- url p. 63.
- Pesticide products classified in Ontario. [Ottawa: Ministry of the Environment], 1994. url p. 93.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 211, p. 300, p. 307, p. 312, p. 315, p. 474.
- Plant names, scientific and popular, including in the case of each plant the correct botanical name in accordance with the reformed nomenclature, together with botanical and popular synonyms. .. Comp. from the most authentic sources by A. B. Lyons. Detroit, Nelson, Baker & Co., 1900. url p. 24.
- Potter's cyclopaedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R.C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke,  url p. 7, p. viii.
- Potter's cyclopedia of botanical drugs and preparations / by R. C. Wren. London: Potter & Clarke, [1900-1950?]. url p. 4, p. viii.
- Poultry diseases, including diseases of other domesticated birds; with a chapter on the anatomy of the fowl, by B. F. Kaupp. Chicago, A. Eger, 1922. url p. 326.
- Poultry diseases, with a chapter on the Anatomy of the fowl, Chicago, American Veterinary Pub. Co.[c1917] url p. 232.
- Poultry diseases: with a chapter on the Anatomy of the fowl / by B.F. Kaupp. Chicago: American Veterinary Pub. Co., c1917. url p. 232.
- Practical veterinary pharmacology and therapeutics, New York, The Macmillan Company, 1917. url , p. 241.
- Publication / Institute of Social Anthropology. Washington: U.S. Govt. Print. Off., 1944- url p. 142.
- Records of the Albany Museum / Committee of the Albany Museum. Grahamstown, South Africa: Albany Museum, 1903-1935. url p. 293.
- Report on Global Status of Biodiversity in the Drylands. For the UN Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee for a Convention to Combat Desertification UN Intergovernmental Negotiating Committee url p. 1, p. 13, p. 15, p. 19, p. 21, p. 3, p. 7, p. 9.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 68.
- Scientific and applied pharmacognosy, intended for the use of students in pharmacy, as a hand book for pharmacists, and as a reference book for food and drug analysts and pharmacologists. New York, Wiley, 1920. url p. 87, p. 88.
- Select extra-tropical plants readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation with indications of their native countries and some of their uses / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: R. S. Brain, govt. printer, 1895. url p. 629, p. 634.
- Sino-Iranica; Chinese contributions to the history of civilization in ancient Iran, with special reference to the history of cultivated plants and products / by Berthold Laufer -- Chicago, 1919. url p. 481, p. 481.
- Strasburger's Text-book of botany. Rewritten by Dr. Hans Fitting. .. Dr. Ludwig Jost. .. Dr. Heinrich Schenck. .. Dr. George Karsten. London, Macmillan, 1921. url p. 726.
- Succulent plants in trade from the wild: analysis of conservation status and international trade UK Dept of the Environment, Transport and Regions url p. 125.
- The Bahama flora, New York, The Authors, 1920. url .
- The Bahama flora, by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Charles Frederick Millspaugh. New York, The authors, 1920. url p. 69, p. 69, p. 69, p. 69.
- The Bermuda islands: an account of their scenery, climate, productions, physiography, natural history and geology, with sketches of their discovery and early history, and the changes in their flora and fauna due to man; with 38 plates and over 250 cuts in the text / by Addison E. Verrill. New Haven, Conn.: The author, 1902. url p. 245.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 334, p. 79, p. 83.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , p. 160, p. 89.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 213, p. 423, p. 458, p. 620, p. 756, p. 817.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 447, p. 51, p. 53.
- The Journal of the Bombay Natural History Society. Bombay: The Society, url p. 526.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 18 1881 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 149, p. 273, p. 412.
- The Marine Mammal Commission compendium of selected treaties, international agreements, and other relevant documents on marine resources, wildlife, and the environment / compiled by Richard L. Wallace. Washington, D.C.: The Commission; 1994 url p. 618.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 36 1954 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 1043, p. 1056, p. 1060.
- The botany of Bihar and Orissa: an account of all the known indigenous plants of the province and of the most important or most commonly cultivated exotic ones / with maps and introduction by H. H. Haines. London: Printed by Adlard and sold by agents for Indian Official Publications, 1921-25. url p. 1092.
- The commercial products of India: being an abridgment of The dictionary of the economic products of India / by Sir George Watt; published under the authority of His Majesty's secretary of state for India in council. London: J. Murray, 1908. url p. 59.
- The flora of British India /By J. D. Hooker assisted by various botanists. Published under the authority of the secretary of state for India in council. London: L. Reeve, 1875-97. url p. 264, p. 264.
- The flora of British India. London, L. Reeve & Co., 1875-97. url .
- The flora of the American Virgin Islands / N.L. Britton. New York: New York Botanical Garden, 1918. url p. 35.
- The flora of the Dutch West Indian islands. .. by I. Boldingh. Leyden, E. J. Brill, 1909-14. url p. 17, p. 177, p. 180.
- The flora of the presidency of Bombay / By Theodore Cooke. London: Taylor and Francis, 1903-08. url p. 774.
- The gardens' bulletin, Straits Settlements. Singapore: Straits Times Press, 1913-1941. url p. 204, p. 365.
- The microanalysis of powdered vegetable drugs, by Albert Schneider. .. with 237 illustrations Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's son & co.[c1921] url p. 192.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 256, p. 259.
- The survey of western Palestine. The fauna and flora of Palestine, by H. B. Tristram. London, The Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund, 1884. url p. 434.
- The weekly florists' review. Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co., 1897-1912. url p. 17, p. 396, p. 440, p. 49, p. 78.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 27.
- Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Arts and Sciences. New Haven: Published by the Academy, 1866- url p. 657, p. 657, p. 657.
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. 7 1804 London: [The Society], 1791-1875. url p. 19, p. 20.
- Tropical agriculture: the climate, soils, cultural methods, crops, live stock, commercial importance and opportunities of the tropics / London: D. Appleton and Company, 1916. url .
- Tropical agriculture; the climate, soils, cultural methods, crops, live stock, commercial importance and opportunities of the tropics / by Earley Vernon Wilcox. London: D. Appleton and Company, 1916. url p. 222.
- Vernacular list of trees, shrubs, and woody climbers in the Madras Presidency. Madras, Printed by the Superintendant, Government Press, 1915. url p. 1030, p. 318, p. 319, p. 341, p. 426, p. 427, p. 436, p. 459, p. 482, p. 535, p. 551, p. 578, p. 579, p. 593, p. 594, p. 892, p. 914, p. 916.
- Veterinary materia medica and therapeutics / Chicago: American Veterinary Pub. Co., c1919. url .
- Veterinary medicines, their actions, uses and dose, [Portland, Or.]Veterinary science association of America[c1916] url p. 41.
- Voyages and travels in the Levant in the years 1749, 50, 51, 52: containing observations in natural history, physick, agriculture and commerce: particularly on the Holy Land and the natural history of the Scriptures / written originally in the Swedish language by the late Frederick Hasselquist; published. .. by Charles Linnaeus. London: Printed for L. Davis and C. Reymers, 1766. url p. 173.
- W. Curtis (ed.) The Botanical magazine, or, Flower-garden displayed. .. /by William Curtis. 14 1800 [S.l.: s.n.], 1790-1800; url .
- Window and parlor gardening; a guide for the selection, propagation and care of house-plants. New York, Scribner's, 1895. url p. 86.
- Moran, R. 1992. Aloe wild in California. Cact. Succ. J. (Los Angeles) 64: 55-56.
- Reynolds, G. W. 1982. The Aloes of South Africa, ed. 4. Rotterdam.
- "Aloe vera". in Flora of North America Vol. 26 Page 411. Published by Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 and ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 16, 2012.
- Carr, Gerald
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed January 01, 2008. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 14 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- The International Plant Names Index. Accessed Jan 19, 2007.
- USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN) [Online Database]. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. URL (April 25, 2008)
- World Checklist of Selected Plant Families. Release date: November 27, 2009
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 16, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden, Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden Virtual Herbarium Darwin Core format
- GBIF-Spain, Hortus Botanicus Sollerensis Herbarium
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2663662
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Kew-298116
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2490700
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:103718-3
- GRIN Nomen Number: 311403
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 182653
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 530016-1
- MoBot NameID: 18403421
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PMALO01010
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: ALVU3
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 17681
- "Aloe". in Flora of North America Vol. 26 Page 410. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- "Aloe vera". in Flora of North America Vol. 26 Page 411. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 1,517.650 meters (4,979.167 feet), Standard Deviation = 1,400.730 based on 63 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]