. Leaf blades
or lanceolate. Inflorescence composed of slender racemes
, these digitate or in whorls on a short common axis, each raceme with a weakly unilateral
, narrowly triquetrous
in pairs or clusters
. Spikelets ovate
unequal, acute to briefly awned
; lower glume 1/2 spikelet length, membranous, 3-veined; upper glume as long as spikelet, herbaceous, 5-7-veined, ciliate
; lower floret staminate
, lemma herbaceous, glabrous
; lower palea much shorter than the anthers
, bifid; upper lemma cartilaginous, margins inrolled
, shortly awned; upper palea acute, the flaps basally auriculate
. Caryopsis ellipsoid
. x = 9.
Five species: tropical and S Africa, India, SE Asia, Australia; two species in China.
Alloteropsis is best distinguished from other panicoid genera by its awned spikelets and ciliate upper glume.
Publishing author : Stapf Publication : Fl. Trop. Afr. [Oliver et al. ] 9(3): 485 1919 [24 Jan 1919]
Members of the genus Alloteropsis
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed November 16, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 2 providers.
- The International Plant Names Index. Accessed Dec 27, 2011.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 16, 2007:
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 8683842
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 15743282
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:386991-1
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 386991-1
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 1157394