Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Early Hair-Grass, Early Hair Grass, Early Hairgrass, Yellow Hairgrass
Common Names in German:
, small. Leaf blades
rolled. Inflorescence an open or contracted
small, laterally compressed
2, both alike, bisexual
, separated by very short internode, disarticulating
below each floret; rachilla not extended beyond upper floret; glumes
, equal, enclosing florets, ovate
, membranous, shining, 1(-3) -veined, apex acute; floret callus small, usually shortly bearded
laterally, rarely glabrous
; lemmas ovate, rounded
on back, membranous becoming firm at maturity, indistinctly 5-veined, glabrous, upper part scaberulous to scabrid
from lower back or lower floret awnless, apex 2-toothed; awn
with twisted column; palea slightly shorter than lemma. Anthers
small. Caryopsis fusiform
. 2n = 14, 28.
Eight species: centered on the Mediterranean region, extending northward to Scandinavia and eastward to Iran and Afghanistan; introduced in other temperate regions ; one species in China.
Flowers: Bloom Period: April, May. • Flower Color: green
Size: under 6" tall.
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Sun to Partial Shade.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Commelinidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Angiospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Agrostis praecox (L.) Salisb. • Airella praecox (L.) Dumort. • Airopsis praecox (L.) Fr. • Aspris praecox (L.) Nash • Avena praecox (L.) P. Beauv. • Caryophyllea praecox (L.) Opiz • Fussia praecox (L.) Schur • Salmasia praecox (L.) Bubani
Publishing author : L. Publication : Species Plantarum 1753 (1 May 1753)
Members of the genus Aira
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 5 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... A preliminary catalogue of the flora of New Jersey. Comp. by N. L. Britton. .. with the assistance of eminent botanists. New Brunswick, Office of the survey, 1881. url p. 123.
- A compendium of the Cybele britannica; or British plants in their geographical relations. London, Longmans, Green, Reader & Dyer, 1870. url .
- A description of the western islands of Scotland, including the Isle of Man comprising an account of their geological structure; with remarks on their agriculture, scenery, and antiquities. By John Macculloch, M. D. In three volumes. London: Printed for Hurst, Robinson, and Co.; [etc., etc.], 1819. url p. 140.
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 192.
- A new London flora; or, Handbook to the botanical localities of the metropolitan districts. Compiled from the latest authorities, and from personal observations. London, Hardwick and Bogue, 1877. url p. 113.
- A survey and record of Woolwich and West Kent containing descriptions and records, brought up-to-date, of geology, botany, zoology, archaeology and industries of the district, with a brief photographic commentary, in commemoration of the 12th Ann General editors, C.H. Grinling, T.A. Ingram [and] B.C. Polkinghorne. Woolwich: Labour Representation Print. Co., 1909. url p. 173.
- American grasses / by F. Lamson-Scribner. Washington: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Division of Agrontology, 1897- url p. 171, p. 171.
- An illustrated flora of the Pacific States: Washington, Oregon, and California. Stanford University, Stanford University Press, 1923- url p. 166.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 214, p. 215.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 42 - 46 1973 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 2, p. 31.
- Blakeney Point, Norfolk: topography and vegetation / F. W. Oliver and E. J. Salisbury. London: F.T. Smith, 1913. url p. 25, p. 33, p. 35, p. 46.
- Botanical notes at Barton & Mildenhall, Suffolk / by Sir Charles J.F. Bunbury; edited by his wife. Mildenhall: Printed by S.R. Simpson, 1889 url p. 233, p. 277.
- British grasses and their employment in agriculture, Cambridge, University press, 1917. url .
- British grasses: an introduction to the study of the Gramineae of Great Britain and Ireland / 1867 London: Reeve & co., 1867 url figure , p. 174.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 561, p. 567.
- Bulletin / United States Department of Agriculture, Division of Agrostology. Washington, D.C.: The Division, 1895-1901. url p. 171, p. 171.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information. Additional Series. Royal Gardens, Kew. 5 1906 [Kew, Surrey: Royal Botanic Gardens], 1898-1936; url p. 89.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 116.
- Compte rendu du Congre?s international d'essais de semences. Discussions at the International Seed Testing Conference. Verhandlungen der Internationalen Konferenz fu?r Samenpru?fung a?/in Copenhague (Danemark), 6.- 10. VI. 1921. Hamburg, Druck von Lu?tcke & Wulff url .
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory and the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: [s.n., url .
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 11 1906 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 121, p. 122, p. 123, p. 133, p. 190, p. 228, p. 369, p. 387, p. 516, p. 605, p. 669, p. 708, p. 74, p. 89, p. 95, p. 96, p. 97.
- Cybele Britannica: or British Plants and their geographical relations. London, 1847-59. url p. 237, p. 337.
- Descriptions of the rapacious birds of Great Britain. By William Macgillivray. Edinburgh, Maclachlan & Stewart; [etc., etc.]1836. url p. 171.
- Descriptive notes on the topography and vegetation of some localities visited by the excursion in Denmark arranged for the members of l'Association internationale des botanistes, June 22nd-July 3rd, 1 Ed. by the Dansk botanisk forening. København, Dansk botanisk forenings forlag, 1913. url p. 22.
- FLORA OF RUSSIA A.A.Balkema Publishers url p. 293.
- Flora of Delaware and the Eastern Shore: an annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of the peninsula of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia. [Wilmington]: Society of Natural History of Delaware, 1946. url p. 28.
- Flora of Guernsey and the lesser Channel Islands: namely, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, and the adjacent islets. London, Dulau, 1901. url p. 198, p. 384, p. 438, p. 458, p. 469.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 1027, p. 1168.
- Flora of Pennsylvania, Boston, Ginn & Company, 1903. url .
- Flora of southern British Columbia and Vancouver Island: with many references to Alaska and northern species / by Joseph Kaye Henry. Toronto: W.J. Gage, c1915. url p. 34.
- Flora of the Queen Charlotte Islands. [Ottawa: Queen's Printer], 1968-. url p. 187, p. 188, p. 23, p. 550.
- Flora of the U.S.S.R. 2 1934 [Springfield, Va.: Israel Program for Scientific Translations; 1968- url p. 191, p. 201.
- Flora of the northwest coast, including the area west of the summit of the Cascade Mountains, from the forty-ninth parallel south to the Calapooia Mountains on the south border of Lane County, Oregon. Lancaster, Pa., Press of the New Era Printing Company, 1915. url .
- Flora of the northwest coast: including the area west of the summit of the Cascade Mountains, from the forty-ninth parallel south to the Calapooia Mountains on the south border of Lane County, Oregon / by Charles V. Piper and R. Kent Beattie. Lancaster, Pa.: Press of the New era printing company, 1915. url p. 45.
- Flora of the state of Washington / by Charles V. Piper. Washington: G.P.O., 1906 url p. 121, p. 122.
- Flora of the state of Washington. By Charles V. Piper. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1906. url p. 122.
- Ground beetles (Carabidae) of Fennoscandia: a zoogeographic study / by Carl H. Lindroth; Joachim Adis, scientific editor. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1989- url p. 224.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 175, p. 35.
- Handbook of the flora of Philadelphia and vicinity, containing data relating to the plants within the following radius: eastern Pennsylvania, north to the Blue mountains, and west to the Susquehanna; all of New Jersey except the northern counties; and Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, 1905. url .
- Hortus suburbanus Calcuttensis; A catalogue of the plants which have been cultivated in the Hon. East India Company's botanical garden, Calcutta, and in the Serampore botanical garden. By the late J. O. Voigt, printed under the superintendence of W. Griffith. Calcutta, Bishop's College Press, 1845. url p. 713.
- Illustrations of the British flora: a series of wood engravings, with dissections, of British plants, drawn by W.H. Fitch and W.G. Smith. London: Reeve, 1908. url p. 291.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 12 1874 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 258, p. 308.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url .
- Larva collecting and breeding: a handbook to the larvae of the British Macro-Lepidoptera and their food plants: both in nature and in confinement, with authorities / by J. Seymour St. John. London: W. Wesley, 1890 url p. 139.
- Life and letters of Alexander Goodman More, F.R.S.E., F.L.S., M.R.I.A., with selections from his zoological and botanical writings; ed. by C.B. Moffat, B.A., with a preface by Frances M. More. Dublin, Hodges, Figgis & co. (ltd.)1898. url p. 517, p. 529.
- Manual of British grasses / 1907 London: Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent,  url p. 14.
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including Virginia, Kentucky, and all east of the Mississippi / by Asa Gray; (The mosses and liverworts by Wm. S. Sullivant.) New York: Ivison, Phinney, 1863, c1862. url p. 573.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 116.
- Manual of the grasses of the United States / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington: U.S. G.P.O., 1935. url p. 292, p. 787.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 3 1904 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 170, p. 235, p. 305, p. 360.
- Oecology of plants: an introduction to the study of plant-communities / by Eug. Warming; assisted by Martin Vahl; prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 212, p. 267.
- Oecology of plants; an introduction to the study of plant-communities, by Eug. Warming, assisted by Martin Vahl. Prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 212, p. 267.
- Plant succession; an analysis of the development of vegetation, Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1916. url .
- Practical agriculture: or, A complete system of modern husbandry; with the methods of planting, and the management of live stock / by R. W. Dickson. London: R. Phillips, 1807. url p. 314.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 107, p. 17, p. 18, p. 248, p. 97.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 62.
- Settler's guide and farmer's handbook. .. Issued by direction of the Bureau of agriculture. Ed. by L. Lindley-Cowen. .. pt. 1. Perth, E.S. Wigg, 1897- url p. 571.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 29.
- Systematic lists illustrative of the Flora, Fauna, Palaeontology, and Archaeology of the North of Ireland / Belfast: Printed for the Club, 1870-1906. url p. 210.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 154, p. 177, p. 248, p. 299, p. 320, p. 393, p. 395, p. 452, p. 468, p. 482, p. 492, p. 622, p. 625, p. 650, p. 716.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 132.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url , p. 88.
- The Journal of agricultural science. Cambridge [Eng.]The University Press. url p. 28.
- The Macrolepidoptera of the world; a systematic description of the hitherto known Macrolepidoptera, ed. in collaboration with well-known specialists. Stuttgart: Seitz'schen (Kernen), 1906- url p. 95.
- The Natural history of Juan Fernandez and Easter Island / edited by Carl Skottsberg. Uppsala: Almqvist & Wiksells Boktryckeri, 1920-1956. url .
- The Naturalist. 1896 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 315.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 37, p. 37.
- The Phytologist: a botanical journal. London, William Pamplin, 1855-1863. url p. 16.
- The Phytologist: a popular botanical miscellany. London, John van Voorst, 1844-56. url p. 1103.
- The Proceedings of the Iowa Academy of Science. Des moines, Iowa: The Academy, [1889-1987] url p. 338, p. 339.
- The Scottish naturalist. Perth [etc.]: Cowan & Co. [etc.], url p. 259, p. 31, p. 317, p. 35.
- The Victoria history of the county of Northampton, ed. by W. Ryland D. Adkins [and others] London: [Constable], 1902- url p. 65.
- The biology of flowering plants, by Macgregor Skene. .. New York, The Macmillan Company, 1924. url p. 448.
- The entomologist's log-book and dictionary of the life histories and food plants of the British Macro-Lepidoptera, giving many thousands of facts and data connected with the appearance of the ova, larvæ, pupæ, and imagines: methods of capture: habitats: food plants: authorities: synonyms: etc., in Latin and Englis by Alfred George Scorer. London, G. Routledge & sons, limited, 1913. url p. 107.
- The flora of Berkshire; being a topographical and historical account of the flowering plants and ferns found in the county, with short biographical notices of the botanists who have contributed to Berkshire botany during the Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1897. url p. 199, p. 32, p. 41, p. 565, p. 73, p. 92, p. 93.
- The flora of Dumfriesshire, including part of the Stewartry of Kirkcudbright, by G.F. Scott-Elliot. Assisted by J. M'Andrew [and others] DumfriesJ. Maxwell, 1896. url p. 191.
- The flora of Long Island. Lancaster, Pa.New Era Print., 1899. url .
- The genera of grasses of the United States: with special reference to the economic species / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, 1920. url p. 116.
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 328, p. 355, p. 77.
- The phanerogams of the Juan Fernandez Islands. url .
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url p. 246.
- Topographical botany: being local and personal records towards shewing the distribution of British plants traced through the 112 counties and vice-counties of England, Wales, and Scotland. By Hewett Cottrell Watson. London, B. Quaritch, 1883. url p. 480.
- Torreya. 12 1912 Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 106, p. 221.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url , p. 157, p. 158.
- Vegetation of the Peak District / C. E. Moss. Cambridge: University Press, 1913. url p. 118, p. 180, p. 181.
- Vegetation of the Peak District. Cambridge, University Press, 1913. url p. 118, p. 146, p. 180, p. 181, p. 226, p. 229.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 318.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 18, 2007:
- Jyväskylä University Museum - The Section of Natural Sciences, Vascular plant collection of Jyvaskyla University Museum
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plant Herbarium, Oslo
- Natural History Museum, University of Oslo, Vascular Plants, Field notes, Oslo
- Oregon State University, Vascular Plant Collection
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Botany registration database by Danish botanists
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Herbarium of Oskarshamn
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Plants
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Botanical Society of the British Isles - Vascular Plants Database
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Environment and Heritage Service - EHS Species Datasets
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Joint Nature Conservation Committee - Vegetation surveys of coastal shingle in Great Britain
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Scottish Borders Biological Records Centre - SWT Scottish Borders Local Wildlife Site Survey data 1996-2000 - species information
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Washington Burke Museum, Vascular Plant Collection - University of Washington Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2661413
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-41378
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 3027485
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:97885-3
- GRIN Nomen Number: 2093
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 41378
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 97885-3
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PMPOA05030
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: ASPR14
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 20337