or sometimes with rhizomes or stolons. Leaf blades
, flat or rolled; ligule membranous. Inflorescence a panicle, open to contracted
or spikelike. Spikelets
with 1 floret, small, often gaping
, without rachilla extension
; rachilla disarticulating above glumes
; glumes persistent
than floret, subequal
or lower a little longer, membranous, 1-veined, apex subacute
to acuminate; floret callus glabrous
or shortly pilose
; lemma oblong
, thinner than glumes, often hyaline
, 5-veined, rounded
on back, glabrous or hairy
veins sometimes excurrent, awnless or awned
from back, apex truncate
, sometimes weakly so or straight when short; palea shorter than lemma, sometimes very small. Stamens 3. Caryopsis oblong, sulcate
on ventral side.
About 200 species:temperate and cold regions of the N hemisphere, also on tropical mountains; 25 species (eight endemic) in China.
The genus includes some good fodder and lawn plants .
Some species are superficially very similar, and correct identification depends on careful observation of spikelet details. It is also important to collect the basal parts to show the presence or absence of rhizomes and stolons. When the palea is long it is normally obvious, but small paleas usually adhere to the mature caryopsis and may appear to be absent. The presence or absence of awns is useful for identification, but awned species may have awnless variants , and vice versa, and the position of the awn on the lemma back can also be rather variable.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Superorder: Juncanae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Commelinidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Angiospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Publishing author : With. Publication : An Arrangement of British Plants ed. 3, 2 1796
Members of the genus Agrostis
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 51 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
A. aequivalvis (Arctic Bentgrass) · A. alascana (Alaska Bentgrass) · A. alba var. major (Black Bent) · A. avenacea (Pacific Bentgrass) · A. blasdalei (Blasdale Bentgrass) · A. blasdalei var. blasdalei (Blasdale Bentgrass) · A. canina (Brown Bentgrass) · A. canina canina (Velvet Bent Grass) · A. capillaris (Brown-Top Bent) · A. capillaris var. aristata (Colonial Bent) · A. capillaris 'Jorvik' (Common Bent 'jorvik') · A. castellana (Bentgrass) · A. clavata (Clavate Bentgrass) · A. clivicola (Coastal Bluff Bentgrass) · A. clivicola var. clivicola (Coastal Bluff Bent Grass) · A. clivicola var. punta-reyesensis (Point Reyes Bentgrass) · A. densiflora (California Bentgrass) · A. elliottiana (Elliot Bentgrass) · A. exarata (Longtongue Bentgrass) · A. exarata var. exarata (Spike Bentgrass) · A. gigantea (Black Bent) · A. hallii (Hall's Bentgrass) · A. hallii var. hallii (Hall's Bentgrass) · A. hendersonii (Henderson's Bentgrass) · A. hooveri (Hoover Bentgrass) · A. howellii (Howell's Bentgrass) · A. humilis (Alpine Bentgrass) · A. hyemalis (Winter Bentgrass) · A. idahoensis (Idaho Bentgrass) · A. idahoensis var. idahoensis (Idaho Bentgrass) · A. longiligula var. longiligula (Longtongue Bentgrass) · A. mertensii (Arctic Bentgrass) · A. microphylla (Small-Leaf Bentgrass) · A. microphylla var. microphylla (Smallleaf Bentgrass) · A. muelleriana (He'u-Pueo) · A. nebulosa (Bentgrass) · A. oregonensis (Oregon Bentgrass) · A. pallens (Leafy Bentgrass) · A. perennans (Autumm Bentgrass) · A. pringlei (Pringle's Bentgrass) · A. rossiae (Mountain Bentgrass) · A. sandwicensis (Hawai'i Bentgrass) · A. scabra (Hairgrass) · A. scabra var. scabra (Rough Bentgrass) · A. stolonifera (Carpet Bentgrass) · A. stolonifera palustris (Creeping Bent Grass) · A. stolonifera var. stolonifera (Creeping Bentgrass) · A. tandilensis (Kennedy's Bentgrass) · A. variabilis (Mountain Bentgrass) · A. vinealis (Brown Bentgrass) · A. vinealis vinealis (Brown Bentgrass)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- ... A preliminary catalogue of the flora of New Jersey. Comp. by N. L. Britton. .. with the assistance of eminent botanists. New Brunswick, Office of the survey, 1881. url p. 117.
- 999 queries with answers upon agricultural and horticultural subjects by Burnet Landreth. Philadelphia: David Landreth & Sons, c1895. url .
- A catalogue of plants growing without cultivation in the County of Nantucket, Mass. Northampton, Mass., Gazette Printing Co., 1888. url p. 66.
- A catalogue of the Coccidæ of the world. [By] Mrs. Maria E. Fernald, A.M. Amherst, Mass., Carpenter & Morehouse, 1903. url p. 112, p. 118, p. 75.
- A catalogue on the flora of Detroit / by O.A. Farwell. Lansing?: s.n., 1901 url p. 37.
- A contribution to the flora of Derbyshire being an account of the flowering plants, ferns, and Characeae found in the county / by W.H. Painter. London: George Bell, 1889. url p. 130.
- A descriptive catalogue of the grasses of the United States, including especially the grass collections at the New Orleans exposition made by the U. S. Department of Agriculture. Washington, Gibson Bros., 1885. url .
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 12, p. 54, p. 56, p. 57.
- A first report on the relations between climates and crops. By Cleveland Abbe. Washington [D.C.]: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url p. 191.
- A flora of the English Lake District. London, G. Bell, 1885. url , p. 226.
- A further contribution to a comparative study of the dominant phanerogamic and higher cryptogamic flora of aquatic habit in Scottish lakes / by George West. Edinburgh: R. Grant, 1910. url p. 149, p. 166, p. 177, p. 88.
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 191.
- A history of Longridge and district. PrestonPrinted by C.W. Whitehead1888 url p. 269.
- A manual of farm grasses, Washington, D. C., The author, 1921. url , p. 95.
- A manual of farm grasses, by A. S. Hitchcock. Washington, D. C.: The author, 1921. url p. 95.
- A manual of farm grasses. Washington, Hitchcock, 1921. url p. 95.
- A monograph of the British Uredineae and Ustilagineae, with an account of their biology including the methods of observing the germination of their spores and of their experimental culture. London, Paul, Trench & Co., 1889. url , .
- A monograph of the British Uredineæ and Ustilagineæ, with an account of their biology including the methods of observing the germination of their spores and of their experimental culture. By Charles B. Plowright. London, K. Paul, Trench, 1889. url p. 284, p. 329.
- A natural history of British grasses / by E.J. Lowe. London: John C. Nimmo, 1891. url , p. 58, p. 61, p. 62.
- A new British flora: British wild flowers in their natural haunts / described by A. R. Horwood; with sixty-four plates in colour representing 350 different plants, from drawings by J. N. Fitch and many illustrations from photographs. London: Gresham, 1919. url p. 13, p. 20.
- A new London flora; or, Handbook to the botanical localities of the metropolitan districts. Compiled from the latest authorities, and from personal observations. London, Hardwick and Bogue, 1877. url p. 2.
- A preliminary list of the plants of New Brunswick compiled by James Fowler; with assistance of members of New Brunswick Natural History Society. Saint John, N.B.: Ellis, Robertson & Co., 1885. url .
- A school flora: for the use of elementary botanical classes / by W. Marshall Watts. New York: Longmans, Green, 1910. url p. 164.
- A student's text-book of botany / by Sydney H. Vines. London: Macmillan, 1895. url p. 548.
- A text-book of botany / London; Macmillan, 1898. url .
- A text-book of mycology and plant pathology, by John W. Harshberger. Philadelphia, P. Blakiston's Son & Co.[c1917] url p. 203, p. 203, p. 203.
- A text-book of plant diseases caused by cryptogamic parasites. London, Duckworth;1903. url .
- A tour in Sutherlandshire: with extracts from the field-books of a sportsman and naturalist / with an Appendix on the fauna of Sutherland by J.A. Harvie-Brown and T.E. Buckley. Edinburgh, Douglas, 1884. url p. 307.
- Across Canada a report on its agricultural resources / by William Fream. Ottawa: Dept. of Agriculture, 1886. url .
- Agricultural botany, theoretical and practical. New York, H. Holt, 1910. url .
- Agrostographia; a treatise on the cultivated grasses and other herbage and forage plants. Edinburgh, W. Blackwood, 1877. url , , , , , .
- American farming and stock raising, with useful facts for the household, devoted to farming in all its departments, ed. by Charles L. Flint; with an appendix by Manly Miles. Illustrated with over six hundred engravings. New York, Casselberry, 1892. url p. 1950, p. 223.
- An account of the plants collected by Mr. M. P. Price on the Carruthers-Miller-Price Expedition through North-West Mongolia and Chinese Dzungaria in 1910. London, 1913 url .
- An elementary text-book of botany, by Sydney H. Vines. .. London: S. Sonnenschein & co., lim.;1898. url p. 490.
- An illustrated dictionary of scientific terms. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, pref. 1878. url p. 52.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 203.
- Annals of applied biology. [Wellesbourne, Warwick, etc.]Association of Applied Biologists [etc.] url p. 145, p. 146.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 98.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 511.
- Annual report / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, c1904-1920. url p. 60.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 8 1897 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 163.
- Annual report of the Board of Control of the State Agricultural Experiment Station at Amherst, Mass. [S.l.: s.n.], -1895 url p. 123, p. 19, p. 194, p. 204, p. 51.
- Annual report of the Hatch Experiment Station of the Massachusetts Agricultural College. [S.l.: s.n.], 1889-1906 url p. 30.
- Annual report of the Maine Agricultural Experiment Station. [Orono, Me.: Maine State College, 1885-1953. url p. 169, p. 191, p. 47.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 46.
- Annual report of the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture. .. Harrisburg, Pa.: The Dept., 1896- url p. 809.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 71, p. 91.
- Annual report of the State Botanist of the State of New York. Albany: Troy Press, 1889-1897. url , .
- Annual report of the State Horticultural Society of Missouri. Jefferson City, Mo.: The Society, 1894- url p. 89.
- Annual report of the Trustees of the State Museum of Natural History for the year. .. Albany, N.Y.: The Trustees, 1886-1889. url p. 45, p. 74.
- Annual report of the secretary of the State Horticultural Society of Michigan. Lansing: The Society, 1881- url p. 521.
- Archiv for mathematik og naturvidenskab. Oslo [etc.]O. Norlis [etc.] url p. 162, p. 4.
- Basic slags and rock phosphates, by George Scott Robertson. With a preface by Edward J. Russell. Cambridge: University Press, 1922. url p. 36.
- Beautify the lawn to reflect your personality. .. Santa Rosa, Cal., Issued by the Luther Burbank society, c1915. url p. 16.
- Biologia centrali-americana; or, Contributions to the knowledge of the fauna and flora of Mexico and Central America. London, Pub. for the editors by R. H. Porter and Dulau & co., 1879-88. url .
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 410.
- Botanical notes at Barton & Mildenhall, Suffolk / by Sir Charles J.F. Bunbury; edited by his wife. Mildenhall: Printed by S.R. Simpson, 1889 url p. 233, p. 276.
- Botany Cambridge, Mass., John Wilson and Son, 1880 url p. 271.
- Botany for academies and colleges: consisting of plant development and structure from seaweed to clematis, Philadelphia, J.B. Lippincott company, 1889. url .
- Botany for high schools and colleges. New York: H. Holt, 1888. url .
- Botany. Cambridge, Mass.Welch, Bigelow, University Press, 1876-80. url p. 271.
- Botany. New York, Holt, 1889. url p. 455.
- British fungi. Phycomycetes and Ustilagineae. By George Massee. London, L. Reeve and Co., 1891. url p. 184.
- British grasses and their employment in agriculture, Cambridge, University press, 1917. url , , , , , , .
- British plants: their biology and ecology / by J. F. Bevis and H. J. Jeffery. London: A. Rivers, 1911. url p. 250, p. 250, p. 251, p. 251, p. 252, p. 252, p. 258, p. 258, p. 295, p. 296, p. 296.
- British plants; their biology and ecology, London, Methuen url , , , , , , , .
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 1012, p. 521, p. 852.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 60.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 131, p. 195.
- Bulletin / Hatch Experiment Station of the Massachusetts Agricultural College. [S.l.: s.n.], 1888- url p. 112, p. 118, p. 75.
- Bulletin / United States Department of Agriculture, Division of Agrostology. Washington, D.C.: The Division, 1895-1901. url p. 10, p. 10, p. 100, p. 102, p. 103, p. 104, p. 105, p. 11, p. 111, p. 112, p. 115, p. 116, p. 12, p. 14, p. 77, p. 77, p. 8, p. 96, p. 97, p. 98.
- Bulletin from the laboratories of natural history of the State University of Iowa. Iowa City, Iowa: The University, 1888-. url .
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1918 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 335.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1950-1977. url p. 77.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url p. 11, p. 165, p. 198, p. 198, p. 249, p. 249, p. 80.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 10, p. 129, p. 14, p. 20, p. 3, p. 5, p. 7, p. 8.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 45, p. 46.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url , .
- Catalogue of Canadian plants. .. Montreal [etc.]1883-1902. url , p. 205, p. 205.
- Catalogue of plants which have been found growing without cultivation in the park and its outlying territories collected, mounted and catalogued for the plant herbarium in the superintendent's office at Niagara Falls, Ontario / by Roderick Cameron. Niagara Falls, Ont.?: s.n., 1896? url .
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 96.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 96.
- Catalogue of the flora of Oak Island, Revere, Massachusets: with notes. Introd. and summary by John Robinson. Salem, Mass., Printed at the Salem Press, 1883 url p. 155.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 64.
- Cattle and dairy farming. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1888. url p. 341, p. 341.
- Chemical work in Canadian agriculture by Frank T. Shutt. S.l.: s.n., 1896? url .
- Class-book of botany being outlines of the structures, physiology, and classification of plants: with a flora of the United States and Canada / by Alphonso Wood. Cincinnati: American Book Co., c1881. url .
- Common weeds of the farm & garden / by Harold C. Long in collaboration with John Percival. New York: Frederick A. Stokes, 1910. url p. 128, p. 218, p. 382.
- Comparative anatomy of the vegetative organs of the phanerogams and ferns / by A. de Bary; translated and annotated by F.O. Bower and D.H. Scott; with 241 woodcuts and an index. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1884. url p. 50, p. 626.
- Contents and index of the reports of the State entomologist of Illinois. Stephen A. Forbes. [Urbana?]: The State, 1909. url p. 37.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1892- url .
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 24 1931 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 159, p. 245, p. 45, p. 53, p. 689, p. 72, p. 83, p. 83, p. 88.
- Contributions to the botany of Vermont. Burlington, Vt.: Botanical Dept., University of Vermont, 1898-1911. url p. 17.
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 683.
- Dairy calendar. .. New York, J. Wiley & sons, 1895. url p. 264.
- Dairy farming: being the theory, practice, and methods of dairying / by J.P. Sheldon London; Cassell, Petter, Galpin & Co., [188-] url p. 166.
- Danish fungi as represented in the herbarium of E. Rostrup / revised by J. Lind. Copenhagen: Gyldendalske boghandel, 1913. url p. 182, p. 266, p. 268, p. 437, p. 518.
- Dedication papers: scientific papers presented at the dedication of the laboratory building and plant houses, April 19-21, 1917. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1918. url p. 361.
- Descriptive catalogue of North American Hepaticae, north of Mexico. by Lucien M. Underwood, PH. D. Peoria, Ill., J. W. Franks & sons, 1884 url p. 249.
- Diseases of cultivated plants and trees / by George Massee. New York: Macmillan, [1910?] url p. 347.
- Diseases of field and garden crops: chiefly such as are caused by fungi. London, MacMillan, 1884. url p. 158.
- Diseases of plants induced by cryptogamic parasites: introduction to the study of pathogenic Fungi, slime-Fungi, bacteria, & Algae / London; Longmans, Green & co., 1897. url , , .
- Domesticated animals and plants: a brief treatise upon the origin and development of domesticated races, with special reference to the methods of improvement / Boston; Ginn and Company, [c1910] url .
- Domesticated animals and plants; a brief treatise upon the origin and development of domesticated races, with special reference to the methods of improvement, by E. Davenport. Boston, Ginn and company[c1910] url p. 254, p. 254, p. 254.
- Edmonston's flora of Shetland: comprehending a list of the prevalent wild-flowers, horse-tails, club-mosses and ferns of the Shetland Isles. Edinburgh; Oliphant, Anderson & Ferrier, 1903. url p. 92.
- Ergot of grains and grasses. [Washington]Office of Cereal Investigations, Bureau of Plant Industry, U. S. Department of Agriculture, 1920. url .
- Erythea. a journal of botany, West American and general. 2 1894 Berkeley, Calif., University of California, 1893-1922. url p. 196, p. 198, p. 199.
- Essex naturalist: being the journal of the Essex Field Club. Buckhurst Hill, Essex, The Club. url p. 183.
- Exercises in botany for the Pacific states / by Volney Rattan. San Francisco: Whitaker & Ray, 1897. url , p. 774.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 142, p. 227, p. 244, p. 268, p. 316, p. 317, p. 432, p. 442, p. 488, p. 533, p. 534, p. 601, p. 631, p. 658, p. 704, p. 786, p. 921, p. 935, p. 936.
- Experimental work conducted at the Rhode Island experiment station with the nitrate of soda, New York, Unz & co., printers, 1898. url p. 61.
- Farmer's book of grasses and other forage plants, for the southern United States. by D. L. Phares. Starkville, Miss., J. C. Hill, 1881. url .
- Farmer's cyclopedia: a compilation of such bulletins and reports as are indispensable to the practical farmer. Garden City, N. Y.: Doubleday, Page, 1914. url p. 121.
- Feeding animals: a practical work upon the laws of animal growth, specially applied to the rearing and feeding of horses, cattle, dairy cows, sheep and swine / by Elliott W. Stewart. Lake View, N.Y.: The author, 1888. url p. 280, p. 357.
- Feeding animals:. Lake view, N.Y., The author, 1890. url , p. 153, p. 280, p. 357.
- Feeding animals; Lake View, N.Y., The author, 1888. url p. 153, p. 280, p. 357.
- Feeding farm animals, by Thomas Shaw. New York, O. Judd Company; [etc., etc.]1907. url p. 202, p. 202, p. 304, p. 304.
- Feeds and feeding, a handbook for the student and stockman; Madison, Wis., Pub. by the author, 1898. url p. 642.
- Feeds and feeding, abridged: the essentials of the feeding, care, and management of farm animals, including poultry: adapted and condensed from Feeds and feeding (sixteenth edition) / by W. A. Henry and F. B. Morrison. Madison, Wis.: Henry-Morrison Co., c1917. url p. 642.
- Feeds and feeding: a hand-book for the student and stockman / by W.A. Henry. .. Madison, Wis.: The author, 1912. url p. 168.
- Feeds and feeding; a hand-book for the student and stockman, Madison, Wis., The author, 1910. url .
- Flora Peoriana; the vegetation in the climate of middle Illinois. Peoria, Ill., J. W. Franks & Sons, 1887. url , , p. 40, p. 63.
- Flora of Ann Arbor and vicinity. Ann Arbor, [Mich.]: Courier Steam Print. House, 1876. url p. 112.
- Flora of County Kerry: including the flowering plants, ferns, Characeae, &c. Dublin: Hodges, Figgis, 1916. url .
- Flora of Guernsey and the lesser Channel Islands: namely, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, and the adjacent islets. London, Dulau, 1901. url p. 197, p. 438, p. 458, p. 469.
- Flora of Plymouth: an account of the flowering plants and ferns found within twelve miles of the town; history of local botanical investigation. London, J. Van Voorst, 1880. url p. 420.
- Flora of the Bristol coal-field. Edited (for the Bristol Naturalists' Society) by James Walter White. .. Bristol, J. Fawn & Son [etc.]1881- url p. 231.
- Flora of the District of Columbia and vicinity. By A.S. Hitchcock and Paul C. Standley, with the assistance of the botanists of Washington. WashingtonGovt. print. off.1919 url p. 83.
- Flora of the Miami Valley, Ohio /c by A.P. Morgan. Dayton, Ohio: Literary Union, 1878. url p. 49.
- Florists' review Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co. url , .
- Fodder and pasture plants / by Geo. H. Clark and M. Oscar Malte; with colour illustrations by Norman Criddle. Ottawa: Dept. of Agriculture, Canada: available at the Office of the Superintendent of Stationery, Government Printing Bureau, 1913. url p. 50, p. 52.
- Fodder and pasture plants, Ottawa, Minister of Agriculture, 1913. url , .
- Fodder and pasture plants, by Geo. H. Clark, B.S.A. and M. Oscar Malte, Ph.D. With water colour illustrations by Norman Criddle. Pub. in 1913. Reprinted by direction of the Honourable W.R. Motherwell, minister of agriculture, O Ottawa, F.A. Acland, Printer, 1923. url p. 50, p. 52.
- Fodder and pasture plants, by George H. Clark and M. Oscar Malte. Ottawa, Minister of Agriculture, 1913. url p. 52.
- Food for plants. New York, Chilean Nitrate of Soda Educational Bureau, [192-?] url p. 226.
- Food for plants. New ed. with supplementary notes. Edited and published by William S. Myers. New York: [s.n., 1922?] url p. 191.
- Forage plants and their culture, New York, The Macmillan company, 1914. url p. 170, p. 171.
- Forage plants and their culture, by Charles V. Piper. New York: The Macmillan company, 1914. url p. 170, p. 171.
- Fungoid disease of agricultural plants / by Jakob Eriksson; translated. from the Swedish by Anna Molander. London: Baillière, Tindall and Cox, 1912. url p. 193.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url p. 106, p. 3.
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E.T. Cook. [London]"Country Life" [etc., 1914] url .
- Grasses and clovers, field roots, forage and fodder plants / Minneapolis, Minn.: Moffett, Thurston & Plank Ptg. Co., 1895. url p. 20.
- Grasses and forage plants a practical treatise comprising their natural history, comparative nutritive value, methods of cultivating, cutting and curing, and the management of grass lands in the United States and British provi Boston: Lee and Shepard, 1895. url .
- Grasses and forage plants, by J. B. Killebrew. .. Knoxville, Printed for University of Tennessee Press, by S. B. Newman, 1899. url p. 14.
- Grasses and forage plants, by J.B. Killebrew. Knoxville, Printed for University of Tennessee Press, by S. B. Newman, 1899. url p. 14.
- Grasses and forage plants: a practical treatise comprising their natural history; comparative nutritive value; methods of cultivating, cutting, and curing; and the management of grass lands in the United States and British prov Boston, Lee and Shepard, 1888. url p. 12, p. 208, p. 35.
- Grasses and how to grow them in North America / by Thomas Shaw. St. Paul: Webb publishing co., 1910. url p. 147, p. 5.
- Grasses of North America / by W.J. Beal. New York: H. Holt, 1887-1896. url p. 103, p. 151, p. 202, p. 233, p. 276, p. 278, p. 94, p. ix.
- Grasses of North America chapters on the physiology, composition, selection, improving and cultivation of grasses, management of grass lands, also chapters on clovers, injurious insects and fungi / by W.J. Beal. New York: H. Holt, 1896, c1887. url p. 151, p. 276.
- Grasses of North America for farmers and students. .. / by W.J. Beal. Lansing: W.J. Beal, 1887-1896. url , p. 147, p. 233, p. 276, p. 278.
- Grasses of North America. .. by W. J. Beal. New York: H. Holt and company, 1887-96. url p. 147, p. 151, p. 276, p. 278, p. 94.
- Grasses their uses and composition Ottawa?: Dept. of Agriculture, 1893? url , .
- Grasses: a handbook for use in the field and laboratory / by H. Marshall Ward. Cambridge: University Press, 1901. url p. 145, p. 182, p. 29, p. 66.
- Grasses; a handbook for use in the field and laboratory. By H. Marshall Ward. Cambridge, University Press, 1908. url p. 182, p. 29, p. 51, p. 66.
- Gray's Lessons in botany and vegetable physiology: illustrated by over 360 wood engravings from original drawings by Isaac Sprague: to which is added a copious glossary, or dictionary of botanical terms / by Asa Gray. New York: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & Co., 1877, c1868. url p. 612, p. 699.
- Gray's school and field book of botany: consisting of "Lessons in botany" and "Field, forest, and garden botany, " bound in one volume / by Asa Gray New York: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor,  url p. 353.
- Ground beetles (Carabidae) of Fennoscandia: a zoogeographic study / by Carl H. Lindroth; Joachim Adis, scientific editor. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Libraries and National Science Foundation, 1989- url p. 113.
- Handbook for Southport: medical and general, with copious notices of the natural history of the district / edited by Edward Day McNicoll. Southport [Eng.]: R. Johnson, 1883. url p. 81.
- Handbook of experiment station work. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1893. url p. 388.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 521.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url .
- Handbook of grasses, treating of their structure, classification, geographical distribution and uses, also describing the British species and their habitats. London, Macmillan, 1910. url , , , .
- Handbook of plants. New York: P. Henderson, 1881. url p. 102, p. 84, p. 9.
- Henderson's Handbook of plants and general horticulture / By Peter Henderson. New York, P. Henderson & Co., 1910. url , p. 151, p. 174, p. 175, p. 189.
- Henderson's Handbook of plants. By Peter Henderson. New York: P. Henderson & Co., 1881. url p. 102, p. 84, p. 9.
- Household and farmers' cyclopedia: one hundred thousand facts for the people; a book for the farmer. .. St. Louis, Mo., Anchor Publishing Company url p. 449.
- How to know grasses by the leaves. Edinburgh, D. Douglas[pref. 1890] url p. 77.
- How to plant and what to do with the crops; together with valuable hints for the farm, garden and orchard. New York, Judd, 1886. url .
- How to study plants: or, Introduction to botany, being an illustrated flora / by Alphonso Wood. New York: Barnes, 1882. url p. 280.
- Illinois Natural History Survey bulletin. Champaign, Ill.: The Survey, 1987- url p. 291.
- Index to the names of North American grasses: a report presented to the Society for the Promotion of Agricultural Science, at the Indianapolis meeting, 1890 / [S.l.]Published by authority of the Society, 1980? url , p. 13, p. 3, p. 4, p. 7, p. 8.
- Injurious and beneficial insects of California. / By E. O. Essig. Sacramento, California state printing office, 1915 url , p. 40.
- International review of the science and practice of agriculture. Rome: International Institute of Agriculture, Bureau of Agricultural Intelligence and Plant Diseases, 1916-1926. url p. 1769, p. 1770.
- Introduction to the plant-life of the Oxford district. London, Milford, 1922-25. url p. 87, p. 97.
- Irish ethno-botany and the evolution of medicine in Ireland. Dublin, M. H. Gill, 1919. url , p. 90.
- Irrigation for the farm, garden, and orchard. / By Henry Stewart. New York: O. Judd company, 1893. url p. 120.
- Island life: or, the phenomena and causes of insular faunas and floras, including a revision and attempted solution of the problem of geological climates / London: Macmillan, 1911. url p. 363.
- Lake Superior. [With a narrative of the tour by J. Elliot Cabot. Huntington, N.Y.]R. E. Krieger Pub. Co., 1974 [c1850] url p. 167.
- Landscape gardening / rev. by Frank A. Waugh, and including many chapters from Downing's "Rural essays". New York: Wiley, 1921. url p. 308.
- Landscape gardening as applied to home decoration / by Samuel T. Maynard. London: Chapman & HaLL, 1912, c1899. url p. 36.
- Lawns and gardens. How to plant and beautify the home lot, the pleasure ground and garden, by N. Jönsson-Rose. With numerous plans and illustrations by the author. New York: G. P. Putnam, 1897. url p. 109.
- Lawns, golf courses, polo fields, and how to treat them, New York, The Coe-Mortimer company, 1914. url p. 13, p. 19, p. 25, p. 27, p. 5, p. 7, p. 9.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 41.
- Live stock: a complete compendium for the American farmer and stock owner, including horses, cattle, swine, sheep and poultry: being also a complete stock doctor embracing the effective methods of object teachin by Jonathan Periam and A.H. Baker. St. Louis: Thompson Pub. Co., 1907. url p. 707.
- Live stock: a cyclopedia for the farmer and stock owner including the breeding, care, feeding and management of horses, cattle, swine, sheep and poultry with a special department on dairying: being also a comple by A.H. Baker; associate authors, Jonathan Periam. .. [et al.]. Kansas City, Mo.: Intercollegiate Press, 1914. url p. 789.
- Making a lawn, by Luke J. Doogue. New York, McBride, Nast & company, 1912. url p. 15.
- Manual of British botany, containing the flowering plants and ferns. Arranged according to the natural orders. London, J. Van Voorst, 1881. url .
- Manual of plant diseases, Wilkes-Barré, Pa., The Record press, c1914-22 url p. 362, p. 363, p. 743.
- Manual of plant diseases, by Paul Sorauer. Wilkes-Barré, Pa.The Record Press, c1914-22 url p. 743.
- Manual of the New Zealand flora. By T. F. Cheeseman. .. Wellington, N. Z., J. Mackay, Govt. Printer, 1906. url p. 1090, p. 862.
- Manual of the botany (Phaenogamia and Pteridophyta) of the Rocky mountain region, from New Mexico to the British boundary. By John M. Coulter. and Chicago: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and company, 1885. url p. 412.
- Manual of the botany (Phænogamia and Pteridophyta) of the Rocky mountain region, from New Mexico to the British boundary. and Chicago, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and Company, 1885. url .
- Manual of the grasses of the United States / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington: U.S. G.P.O., 1935. url p. 785.
- Manures and fertilizers; a text-book for college students and a work of reference for all interested in the scientific aspects of modern farming, New York, The Macmillan company, 1914. url p. 260.
- Manuring for higher crop production / By E. J. Russell. Cambridge: The University Press, 1916. url p. 62.
- Massachusetts crop report. Boston: [Massachusetts State Board of Agriculture], 1888-1913. url p. 35, p. 37.
- Meadows and pastures, by Joseph E. Wing. .. Chicago, The Breeder's Gazette, 1911. url , p. 367, p. 367, p. 368, p. 368.
- Meadows and pastures. A compendium of the grasses of Tennessee, prepared expressly for the farmers of Tennessee, but adapted to the whole country. By J.B. Killebrew. .. commissioner of agriculture, statistics and mines for the state of Tennessee. Nashville: Tavel, Eastman & Howell, 1883. url p. 11.
- Meadows and pastures; a compendium of the Grasses of Tennessee, prepared expressly for the farmers of Tennessee, but adapted to the whole country. Nashville, Tenn., Tavel, Eastman & Howell, 1880. url .
- Meddelelser om Grønland. København, C. A. Reitzels Forlag, 1879-1979. url p. 64.
- Meehan's monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany, and kindred subjects. Phila., PA: T. Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url , .
- Meehans' monthly: a magazine of horticulture, botany and kindred subjects / conducted by Thomas Meehan. Philadelphia: Thomas Meehan & Sons, 1891-1902. url p. 59.
- Memoirs / Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Brooklyn, N.Y.: The Garden, 1918-1936. url p. 361.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 5 1893 - 18 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 41.
- Message from the President of the United States, communicating, in answer to a Senate resolution of June 17, 1878, information on the subject of sheep-husbandry. Washington, Gov't print. off., 1879 url p. 36, p. 37.
- Michigan flora. Prepared for the thirtieth annual report of the Secretary of the State Board of Agriculture, by W. J. Beal and C. F. Wheeler. Lansing: R. Smith & co., printers, 1892 url .
- Midland naturalist. London: Hardwicke and Bogue, 1878- url p. 19.
- Milch cows and dairy farming, comprising the breeds, breeding, and management in health and disease, of dairy and other stock; the selection of milch cows, with a full explanation of Guenon's method; the culture of forage plants, etc. Boston, C. T. Dillingham, 1889. url p. 170.
- Minimum areas for different vegetations, their determination from species-area curves. Urbana, University of Illinois Press, 1949. url p. 64.
- Minnesota botanical studies. Minneapolis, Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. url , p. 93.
- Monograph of the Coccidæ of the British Isles. By Robert Newstead. London, Printed for the Ray society, 1901-03. url p. 175, p. 199, p. 261.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 135.
- Museum bulletin / New York State Museum. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 336, p. 511.
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 43, p. 72.
- Notes from the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh. 3 1904 Edinburgh: H. M. Stationery Off. url p. 195, p. 213, p. 224, p. 313, p. 46, p. 92.
- Oecology of plants: an introduction to the study of plant-communities / by Eug. Warming; assisted by Martin Vahl; prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 197, p. 324, p. 326, p. 359.
- Oecology of plants; an introduction to the study of plant-communities, by Eug. Warming, assisted by Martin Vahl. Prepared for publication in English by Percy Groom and Isaac Bayley Balfour. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1909. url p. 197, p. 324, p. 326, p. 359.
- Ornamental gardening for Americans: a treatise on beautifying homes, rural districts, towns, and cemeteries / by Elias A. Long. New York: O. Judd, 1885. url p. 24.
- Papers on hortcultural and kindred subjects / by William Saunders. Washington, G.P.O., 1891. url p. 19.
- Parasitic fungi of Illinois / by T.J. Burrill. Peoria, Ill.: J. W. Franks, 1885-1887. url , .
- Pasture grasses and forage plants, and their seeds, weeds, and parasites. London, T. C. Jack, 1887. url , , .
- Permanent and temporary pastures, London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent, 1911. url .
- Permanent and temporary pastures, by Martin J. Sutton. London, Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent & Co., limited, 1911. url p. 31.
- Permanent and temporary pastures, with descriptions and coloured illustrations of leading natural grasses and clovers, by Martin J. Sutton. London, Hamilton, Adams, 1887. url p. 26.
- Phytogeography of Nebraska. 1. General survey by Roscoe Pound and Frederic E. Clements. Lincoln, Neb.Published by the Seminar1900 url p. 346, p. 417.
- Plant life on the farm. By Maxwell T. Masters. .. New York, Orange and Judd company, 1885. url p. 100, p. 102, p. 104, p. 92, p. 93, p. 95.
- Plant life on the farm. New York, Orange Judd Co., 1885. url , , , , , , , .
- Plant life. London, Vinton url , , , , , , .
- Plant succession; an analysis of the development of vegetation, Washington, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 1916. url .
- Plants of Mississippi: a list of flowering plants and ferns / by E.N. Lowe. [Jackson, Miss.]: Mississippi State Geological Survey, 1921. url p. 86.
- Popular gardening and fruit growing; An illustrated periodical devoted to horticulture in all its branches. Buffalo, New York;Popular gardening publishing company. url p. 166.
- Practical farming; a plain book on treatment of the soil and crop production; New York, The Outing publishing company, 1907. url p. 278.
- Proceedings - Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences. Staten Island, N.Y., Staten Island Institute of Arts and Sciences. url , p. 22.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 129, p. 129.
- Pteridophyta, Gymnospermae and Monocotyledones / by O. Gelert and C.H. Ostenfeld. Copenhagen: Nordiske forlag, 1902. url p. 108.
- Report for the year - British Columbia Provincial Museum. [Victoria]; Printed by A. Sutton [etc.], for the Queen. url .
- Report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1900-1904. url p. 37.
- Report of the State Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1898-1925. url , , p. 60.
- Report of the flora of Westchester County. Prepared for Bolton's History of the County. New YorkRoper & Burdge, 1880? url p. 820.
- Report of work of the Agricultural experiment station, Middletown, Conn., 1877-8, with an account of field experiments with fertilizers. Hartford, Press of the Case, Lockwood & Brainard company, 1879. url p. 43.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 269.
- Report. Harpenden [etc.]Lawes Agricultural Trust [etc.] url p. 63.
- Reports of the Director. .. / Experimental Farms. Ottawa: Experimental Farms, 1888-1916. url p. 122, p. 180, p. 184, p. 199, p. 211, p. 311, p. 325.
- Reports of the Survey. Botanical series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892- url p. 93.
- Rocky Mountain wild flower studies; an account of the ways of some plants that live in the Rocky Mountain region, by Burton O. Longyear. .. with illustrations from nature by the author. Denver, Merchants Publishing Co., c1909 url p. 412.
- Science-gossip. Berlin: R. Friedländer & Sohn, -1902. url p. 199.
- Scientific feeding of the domestic animals, by Martin Klimmer. Chicago, A. Eger, 1923. url p. 37, p. 41.
- Scientific papers of Asa Gray / selected by Charles Sprague Sargent. Boston, Houghton, 1889. url p. 240.
- Scientific papers of Asa Gray, selected by Charles Sprague Sargent. Boston, Houghton, Mifflin, 1889. url p. 240, p. 240.
- Select extra-tropical plants readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation with indications of their native countries and some of their uses / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: R. S. Brain, govt. printer, 1895. url p. 27, p. 611, p. 613, p. 616, p. 624.
- Select extra-tropical plants, readily eligible for industrial culture or naturalisation, with indications of their native countries and some of their uses. By Baron Ferd. von Mueller. .. Sydney, T. Richards, government printer, 1881. url p. 17, p. 379, p. 380, p. 383, p. 389.
- Senior botany. London, Univ. Tutor. Press, 1918. url p. 449.
- Sheep husbandry. A work prepared for the farmers of Tennessee. By J. B. Killebrew. Nashville, Tenn., Tavel, Eastman & Howell, 1880. url p. 32, p. 78.
- Sheep husbandry. Nashville, Tenn., Tavel, Eastman & Howell, 1880. url p. 32, p. 78.
- Sheep husbandry; with an account of different breeds, and general directions in regard to summer and winter management, breeding and the treatment of diseases... By Henry S. Randall. With his letter to the Texas almanac on sheep husbandry in Texas, and Geo. W. Kendall's On sheep raising in Texas. New York, Orange Judd company, 1880. url p. 33.
- Soil conditions and plant growth / London; Longmans, Green, 1912. url .
- Soil conditions and plant growth, by Edward J. Russell. .. London, New York [etc.]Longmans, Green & co., 1921. url p. 311.
- Soil conditions and plant growth. By Edward J. Russell. .. London, Longmans, Green and co., 1915. url p. 145.
- Soil conditions and plant growth. LondonLongmans, Green1921 url p. 311.
- Spixiana. 12 1989 München: Zoologische Staatssammlung München, 1977- url p. 234.
- Studies in natural history. Iowa City, Ia. url p. 393, p. 396.
- Studies of plant life in Canada, or, Gleanings from forest, lake and plain by C.P. Traill; illustrated withe chromo-lithographs from drawings by Mrs. Chamberlin. Ottawa: A.S. Woodburn, 1885. url .
- Studies of plant life in Canada. Wild flowers, flowering shrubs, and grasses. Toronto: William Briggs, 1906. url .
- Studies of plant life in Canada; or, Gleanings from forest, lake and plain. By Mrs. C.P. Traill... Illustrated with chromo-lithographs from drawings by Mrs. [Agnes D.] Chamberlin... Ottawa, A.S. Woodburn, 1885. url , p. 275.
- Text-book of pastoral and agricultural botany, for the study of the injurious and useful plants of country and farm. Philadelphia, Blakiston url p. 40.
- Text-book of western botany: consisting of Coulter's Manual of the botany of the Rocky mountains, to which is prefixed Gray's lessons in botany. For the use of schools and colleges between the Mississippi river and the Rocky moun Chicago: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and Company, 1885. url p. 412.
- The American botanist and florist: including lessons in the structure, life, and growth of plants: together with a simple analytical flora, descriptive of the native and cultivated plants growing in the Atlantic division of the Americ by Alphonso Wood. New York: A. S. Barnes, 1877, c1870. url p. 384.
- The American farmer's pictorial cyclopedia of live stock. .. St. Louis, Mo., N. D. Thompson & co., 1882. url p. 637.
- The American farmer. A complete agricultural library, with useful facts for the household, devoted to farming in all its departments and details, ed. by Charles L. Flint. Illustrated with over six hundred engravings. Hartford, Conn., R. H. Park, 1882. url p. 152, p. 156, p. 220, p. 223.
- The American farmer; a complete agricultural library, with useful facts for the household, devoted to farming in all its departments and details. .. / ed. by Charles L. Flint. ..; illus. with over six hundred engravings. Hartford, Conn.: R.H. Park, 1882. url p. 144, p. 152, p. 154, p. 156, p. 223.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 1147.
- The American merino: for wool and for mutton a practical treatise on the selection, care, breeding, and diseases of the merino sheep in all sections of United States / by Stephan Powers. New York: O. Judd Co., 1887. url p. 208, p. 70.
- The Annals of Scottish natural history. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1892-1911. url p. 114, p. 181, p. 181, p. 188, p. 188, p. 225, p. 228, p. 239, p. 243, p. 27, p. 36, p. 41, p. 42, p. 50, p. 95.
- The British rust fungi (Uredinales) their biology and classification, Cambridge, University Press, 1913. url , , , .
- The Canadian home, farm and business cyclopaedia; a treasury of useful and entertaining knowledge. .. the science and practice of farming. .. also, Goodwin's practical book-keeping complete. .. the Farm department, specially written for this work by Prof. William Brown, The Business department under the supervision of George Maclean Rose. .. the entire work carefully edited by a Syndicate of Canadian Specialists Toronto, Robertson, 1884. url p. 504.
- The Canadian horticulturist [monthly] St. Catharines, E.S. Leavenworth. url p. 243.
- The Canadian record of science. Montreal, Natural History Society. url p. 318, p. 67.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url p. 128, p. 80.
- The Eskimo tribes; their distribution and characteristics, especially as regards language, with a comparative vocabulary and sketch-map. Copenhagen1887-91. url p. 64.
- The Farmers' alliance history and agricultural digest. Written by a board of editors. Editor-in-chief, N. A. Dunning Washington, D. C., Alliance, 1891 url p. 564.
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 1066, p. 421, p. 456, p. 520, p. 576.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url p. 132, p. 132, p. 67, p. 67, p. 68, p. 68.
- The Glasgow naturalist. Glasgow, Andersonian Naturalists of Glasgow. url p. 121, p. 145, p. 4, p. 62, p. 94.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url , , , p. 113, p. 116, p. 155, p. 191, p. 212, p. 39, p. 61, p. 64, p. 93.
- The Journal of agricultural science. Cambridge [Eng.]The University Press. url p. 202, p. 203, p. 28, p. 30, p. 31, p. 32, p. 33, p. 37, p. 39, p. 40, p. 41, p. 51, p. 60, p. 61.
- The Journal of the Department of Agriculture, Victoria. [Melbourne]:Dept. of Agriculture, Victoria, 1902-1955. url .
- The New Forest: its history and its scenery / by John R. Wise; with 63 illustrations by Walter Crane; engraved by W.J. Linton. London: Gibbings, 1895. url p. 296.
- The Ottawa naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 39, p. 39.
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 131, p. 599.
- The Rothamsted experiments on the growth of wheat, barley, and the mixed herbage of grass land. London, H. Cox, 1888. url p. 137, p. 146, p. 152, p. 160, p. 163, p. 166, p. 170, p. 174, p. 177, p. 180, p. 183, p. 191, p. 204, p. 221, p. 227.
- The Tasmanian flora. Hobart, Tasmania, J. Vail, Govt. Printer, 1903. url .
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 231, p. 231, p. 266, p. 266.
- The University of Missouri studies. Columbia, Mo.: The University, 1905- url p. 30, p. 92.
- The Victoria history of the county of Leicester. Edited by William Page. LondonConstable1907- url p. 46.
- The agricultural grasses and forage plants of the United States; and such foreign kinds as have been introduced. By Dr. Geo. Vasey; with an appendix on the chemical composition of grasses, by Clifford Richardson. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1889. url , p. 111, p. 111, p. 121, p. 131, p. 20, p. 20, p. 21, p. 21, p. 243, p. 46, p. 46, p. 47.
- The art of landscape architecture, its development and its application to modern landscape gardening, London, G.P. Putnam's sons, 1915. url .
- The blossom circle of the year in southern gardens, New York, N.Y., A. T. De La Mare company, inc., 1922. url p. 177, p. 197.
- The book of nature study, ed. by J. Bretland Farmer. .. assisted by a staff of specialists. Fully illustrated. London, Caxton publishing company[1908?]-1909. url p. 60.
- The book of the Rothamsted experiments. 2d ed., rev. by E.J. Russell. Issued with the authority of the Lawes Agricultural Trust Committee. New YorkDutton1917 url p. 327.
- The botany of Iceland, edited by L. Kolderup Rosenvinge and Eug. Warming. Copenhagen, J. Frimodt, 1912- url p. 336, p. 337.
- The complete grazier and farmers' and cattlebreeders' assistant. .. originally written by William Youatt. .. considerably enlarged and mainly rewritten in 1893 and 1900 by William Fream. .. London, C. Lockwood and son, 1908. url p. 808, p. 814, p. 905.
- The constitution and by-laws of the Ann Arbor Scientific Association with the proceedings for the year ending May 1, 1876.. ... Ann Arbor, Courier Steam Printing House, 1876. url p. 112.
- The dairyman's manual: a practical treatise on the dairy, including the selection of the farm / by Henry Stewart. New York: Orange Judd, 1888. url p. 69, p. 74.
- The dairyman's manual; a practical treatise on the dairy, by Henry Stewart. New York, Orange Judd, 1888. url p. 69, p. 69, p. 73, p. 73, p. 74, p. 74.
- The elements of botany embracing organography, histology, vegetable physiology, systematic botany and economic botany. .. together with a complete glossary of botanical terms Philadelphia, J. E. Potter and Company[c1883] url .
- The feeding of animals, New York, The Macmillan Company, 1917. url .
- The feeding of animals, by Whitman Howard Jordan. New York, The Macmillan company, 1917. url p. 461, p. 461.
- The flora of Berkshire; being a topographical and historical account of the flowering plants and ferns found in the county, with short biographical notices of the botanists who have contributed to Berkshire botany during the Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1897. url p. 561.
- The flora of Essex County, Massachusetts. Salem, Essex Institute, 1880. url .
- The flora of Franklin County [Indiana]. Richmond, 1885-1886 url p. 48.
- The flora of Harrow: by J. Cosmo Melvill. Harrow, Green and Co.;1876. url p. 115.
- The flora of Oxfordshire; being a topographical and historical account of the flowering plants and ferns found in the county, with sketches of the progress of Oxfordshire botany during the last three centuries, and London, Parker and Co., 1886. url , .
- The flora of the Alps being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the Alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees / by Alfred W. Bennett. London: J.C. Nimmo, 1896. url p. 182.
- The flora of the Alps; being a description of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to Switzerland; and of the Alpine species of the adjacent mountain districts of France, Italy, & Austria including the Pyrenees, London, J. C. Nimmo, 1896-1900. url .
- The flora of the parish of Halifax, by William B. Crump, & Charles Crossland. [Halifax]Halifax Scientific Society, 1904. url p. 122, p. 39, p. 41.
- The florists' manual / by William Scott; a reference book for commercial florists. Chicago: Florists' Publishing Co., 1899. url p. 136.
- The florists' manual, Chicago, Florists' publishing company, 1899. url p. 136.
- The florists' manual, by William Scott. A reference book for commercial florists. Chicago, Florists' publishing company, 1906. url p. 142.
- The forage and fiber crops in America, by Thomas F. Hunt. New York, Orange Judd company; [etc., etc.]1907. url p. 11.
- The fruit bark beetle / [S.A. Forbes]. Experiments with grass seeds, and with grasses and clovers / [G.E. Morrow, T.F. Hunt]. Use of fungicides on the apple, the potato, and the grape / [T.J. Burrill, G.W. McCluer]. Champaign [Ill.]: University of Illinois Agricultural Experiment Station, 1891. url p. 482.
- The garden's story, or Pleasures and trials of an amateur gardener, New York: D. Appleton and company, 1889. url p. 39, p. 39, p. 40, p. 40.
- The garden's story: for pleasures and trials of an amateur gardener / by George H. ELlwanger. New York: D. Appleton and company, 1889. url p. 39, p. 40.
- The garden's story: or, Pleasures and trials of an amateur gardener / by George H. Ellwanger. .. New York: Appleton, 1891. url p. 40.
- The genera of grasses of the United States: with special reference to the economic species / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, 1920. url p. 129.
- The grass family. An address delivered before the Agricultural Society of Cattaraugus County, at their annual fair at Randolph, N.Y. September 14, 1877. By Prof. J.T. Edwards, D.D. Pub. by the Society. Randolph, N.Y., F.J. & D.D. Lockwood, Printers, 1877. url p. 26.
- The grass thrips, Anaphothrips striata (Osb.) / Warren E. Hinds. Amherst, Mass.: Massachusetts Agricultural College,  url p. 14.
- The grasses of Illinois / by Edna Mosher. Urbana, Ill.: University of Illinois Agricultural Experiment Station, 1918. url p. 357.
- The grasses of Illinois, by Edna Mosher. Urbana, Ill., 1918. url p. 357.
- The grasses of Iowa / L. H. Pammel, J. B. Weems, and F. Lamson-Schribner. Des Moines: Iowa Geological Survey, 1901-1904  i.e. 1905] url p. 103, p. 106, p. 196, p. 321, p. 359, p. 360.
- The grasses of Maine. Designed for the use of the students of the Maine State College, and the farmers of the State. C. D. Fernald, Orono, May, 1885. Augusta, [Me.], Sprague & son, Printers to the State, 1885. url p. 22.
- The grasses of Tennessee including cereals and forage plants / by J.B. Killebrew. .. Nashville: The American, 1878. url p. 64, p. 84.
- The grasses of Tennessee; including cereals and forage plants. Nashville, The American co., 1878. url , , .
- The history of Glanville's Wootton, in the County of dorset, including its zoology and botany / by C.W. Dale. London, Hatchards, 1878. url p. 366.
- The natural history of plants, their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution; Dublin, Blackie & son, limited, 1902. url .
- The natural history of plants; their forms, growth, reproduction, and distribution. From the German of Anton Kerner von Marilaun by F. W. Oliver, with the assistance of Marian Busk and Mary F. Ewart. London, Blackie, 1894-1895. url p. 513.
- The naturalisation of animals & plants in New Zealand, Cambridge [Eng.]University Press, 1922. url .
- The naturalist's diary: a day-book of meteorology, phenology and rural biology. With a chart showing the blossoming of spring flowers in Europe, and an introduction of natural periodic phenomena, etc. 188-. London, Sonnenschein, Le Bas and Lowrey[pref. 1886] url .
- The quantitative method in biology, London, Longmans, Green & co., 1919 url .
- The quantitative method in biology. Manchester [Eng.]University Press1919 url p. 219.
- The science and practice of farming during 1910 in Great Britain (England, Wales, Scotland) as seen through the scientific and agricultural press. Rome, Printed by the Unione Editrice, 1910. url p. 345.
- The seeding and care of golf courses. Marysville, Ohio[c1922] url .
- The seeding and preservation of golf links, New York, J. M. Thorburn & co.[c1908] url p. 6.
- The shepherd's manual. A practical treatise on the sheep. Designed especially for American shepherds. By Henry Stewart. .. New York, O. Judd company[c1884] url p. 16, p. 16, p. 16.
- The study of plants; an introduction to botany and plant ecology. OxfordClarendon Press1915 url p. 367.
- The transactions of the Yorkshire Naturalists' Union. Leeds [etc.] url p. 177, p. 246, p. 63.
- The vegetation of the Siberian-Mongolian frontiers: the Sayansk region. [Trondhjem]Kongelige Norske videnskabers selskab url p. 122.
- The weed flora of Iowa / [by L. H. Pammel; with the collaboration of Charlotte M. King. .. et al.] Des Moines: Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 851.
- The weed flora of Iowa Des Moines, Iowa geological survey, 1913. url .
- The weed flora of Iowa. .. Des Moines, Iowa Geological Survey, 1913. url p. 851.
- The weeds, poison plants, and naturalized aliens of Victoria. Melbourne, J. Kemp, Government Printer1909. url .
- The weekly florists' review. Chicago: Florists' Pub. Co., 1897-1912. url p. 678.
- Topographical botany: being local and personal records towards shewing the distribution of British plants traced through the 112 counties and vice-counties of England, Wales, and Scotland. London, B. Quaritch, 1883. url .
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url , , , , , p. 151, p. 157, p. 158, p. 161, p. 162, p. 163, p. 169, p. 41, p. 63.
- Transactions of the Edinburgh Field Naturalists' and Microscopical Society. [Edinburgh]: The Club, 1891- url p. 299, p. 304, p. 397, p. 401.
- Transactions of the Hertfordshire Natural History Society and Field Club. London: Gurney & Jackson, 1879- url p. 125.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 196, p. 93.
- Transactions of the Maryland Academy of Sciences. Baltimore: The Academy, 1901- url p. 57.
- Transactions of the Royal Scottish Arboricultural Society. Edinburgh: Douglas & Foulis, 1888-1926. url p. 53, p. 56.
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 96.
- Types of British vegetation, Cambridge, University Press, 1911. url , , , , .
- Vegetation of the Peak District / C. E. Moss. Cambridge: University Press, 1913. url p. 107, p. 108, p. 111, p. 126, p. 181, p. 187, p. 193.
- Vegetation of the Peak District. Cambridge, University Press, 1913. url p. 107, p. 108, p. 111, p. 131, p. 132, p. 139, p. 181, p. 187, p. 193, p. 229, p. 241, p. 253, p. 263.
- Vegetative vigor of the host as a factor influencing susceptibility and resistance to certain rust diseases of the higher plants. Lancaster, Pa., 1922 url p. 198.
- Weeds of farm land, by Winifred E. Brenchley. New York, Longmans, Green and co., 1920. url p. 206, p. 229.
- Weeds of farm land. London, Longmans, 1920. url p. 206, p. 229.
- Wonders of the flora. The preservation of flowers in their natural state and colors. Also containing a treatise on ornamental grasses and mosses, their uses, and how to color them, &c. By H. Acosta Kresken. Dayton, O., P.A. Kemper, 1879. url p. 71.
- Yearbook of agriculture. WashingtonU.S. Govt. Print. Off. url p. 558, p. 565, p. 566, p. 606.
- Yearbook of the United States Department of Agriculture. Washington: G.P.O., 1895-1923. url p. 560, p. 566.
- Zoe:a biological journal. 2 1891 San Diego, Calif. [etc.]Zoe Publishing Co. url p. 293.
- [Report of a voyage made to the Canadian Labrador coast; Catalogue of plants and birds of the north shore] [D. N. Saint-Cyr]. Québec?: s.n., 1887? url .
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2776373
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13729360
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 4023612