Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Autumm Bentgrass, Autumn Bent, Perennial Bentgrass, Upland Bent, Upland Bent Grass, Upland Bentgrass
Common Names in French:
or sometimes with rhizomes or stolons. Leaf blades
, flat or rolled; ligule membranous. Inflorescence a panicle, open to contracted
or spikelike. Spikelets
with 1 floret, small, often gaping
, without rachilla extension
; rachilla disarticulating above glumes
; glumes persistent
than floret, subequal
or lower a little longer, membranous, 1-veined, apex subacute
to acuminate; floret callus glabrous
or shortly pilose
; lemma oblong
, thinner than glumes, often hyaline
, 5-veined, rounded
on back, glabrous or hairy
veins sometimes excurrent, awnless or awned
from back, apex truncate
, sometimes weakly so or straight when short; palea shorter than lemma, sometimes very small. Stamens 3. Caryopsis oblong, sulcate
on ventral side.
About 200 species:temperate and cold regions of the N hemisphere, also on tropical mountains; 25 species (eight endemic) in China.
The genus includes some good fodder and lawn plants .
Some species are superficially very similar, and correct identification depends on careful observation of spikelet details. It is also important to collect the basal parts to show the presence or absence of rhizomes and stolons. When the palea is long it is normally obvious, but small paleas usually adhere to the mature caryopsis and may appear to be absent. The presence or absence of awns is useful for identification, but awned species may have awnless variants , and vice versa, and the position of the awn on the lemma back can also be rather variable.
Flowers: Bloom Period: n/a • Flower Color: inconspicuous, none
Size: 36-48" tall.
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 2,582 meters (0 to 8,471 feet).
Culture: Space 12-15" apart.
Soil: Minimum pH: 5.6 • Maximum pH: 7.5
Sunlight: Sun Exposure: Full Sun .
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 3a, 3b, 4a, 4b, 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b, 9a, 9b. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Small, 1903
- Family: Gramineae () - A.L. de Jussieu, 1789, nom. cons., nom. alt.
- Order: Poales () - Small, 1903
- Superorder: Juncanae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Commelinidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Angiospermae () - Auct.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina () - (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Agrostis elata (Pursh) Trin. • Agrostis oreophila Trin. • Agrostis perennans var. aestivalis Vasey • Agrostis perennans var. elata (Pursh) A. S. Hitchc. • Agrostis schweinitzii Trin. • Cornucopiae perennans Walt. • Cornucopiae perennans Walter
Publishing author : Tuck. Publication : in Amer. J. Sci. Ser. II. xlv. (1843) 44.
Members of the genus Agrostis
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 51 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
A. aequivalvis (Arctic Bentgrass) · A. alascana (Alaska Bentgrass) · A. alba var. major (Black Bent) · A. avenacea (Pacific Bentgrass) · A. blasdalei (Blasdale Bentgrass) · A. blasdalei var. blasdalei (Blasdale Bentgrass) · A. canina (Brown Bentgrass) · A. canina canina (Velvet Bent Grass) · A. capillaris (Brown-Top Bent) · A. capillaris var. aristata (Colonial Bent) · A. capillaris 'Jorvik' (Common Bent 'jorvik') · A. castellana (Bentgrass) · A. clavata (Clavate Bentgrass) · A. clivicola (Coastal Bluff Bentgrass) · A. clivicola var. clivicola (Coastal Bluff Bent Grass) · A. clivicola var. punta-reyesensis (Point Reyes Bentgrass) · A. densiflora (California Bentgrass) · A. elliottiana (Elliot Bentgrass) · A. exarata (Longtongue Bentgrass) · A. exarata var. exarata (Spike Bentgrass) · A. gigantea (Black Bent) · A. hallii (Hall's Bentgrass) · A. hallii var. hallii (Hall's Bentgrass) · A. hendersonii (Henderson's Bentgrass) · A. hooveri (Hoover Bentgrass) · A. howellii (Howell's Bentgrass) · A. humilis (Alpine Bentgrass) · A. hyemalis (Winter Bentgrass) · A. idahoensis (Idaho Bentgrass) · A. idahoensis var. idahoensis (Idaho Bentgrass) · A. longiligula var. longiligula (Longtongue Bentgrass) · A. mertensii (Arctic Bentgrass) · A. microphylla (Small-Leaf Bentgrass) · A. microphylla var. microphylla (Smallleaf Bentgrass) · A. muelleriana (He'u-Pueo) · A. nebulosa (Bentgrass) · A. oregonensis (Oregon Bentgrass) · A. pallens (Leafy Bentgrass) · A. perennans (Autumm Bentgrass) · A. pringlei (Pringle's Bentgrass) · A. rossiae (Mountain Bentgrass) · A. sandwicensis (Hawai'i Bentgrass) · A. scabra (Hairgrass) · A. scabra var. scabra (Rough Bentgrass) · A. stolonifera (Carpet Bentgrass) · A. stolonifera palustris (Creeping Bent Grass) · A. stolonifera var. stolonifera (Creeping Bentgrass) · A. tandilensis (Kennedy's Bentgrass) · A. variabilis (Mountain Bentgrass) · A. vinealis (Brown Bentgrass) · A. vinealis vinealis (Brown Bentgrass)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- ... A preliminary catalogue of the flora of New Jersey. Comp. by N. L. Britton. .. with the assistance of eminent botanists. New Brunswick, Office of the survey, 1881. url p. 117.
- A List of plants collected in the vicinity of Oquawka, Henderson County, Ills. / by Harry N. Patterson. [Oquawka]: Oquawka Spectator Print, 1874. url p. 17.
- A catalogue of the flowering plants and higher cryptogams, both native and introduced, found within about thirty miles of Hanover, N. H., including a few cultivated species, to which is appended a list of vertebrate animals of the same region. By Henry Jesup. [Hanover?]Printed for the Author, 1891. url p. 53.
- A naturalist in the Great Lakes region, by Elliot Rowland Downing. .. Chicago, Ill., The University of Chicago Press[c1922] url , , , , , p. 244, p. 317, p. 320.
- A preliminary list of the vascular flora of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania / by John A. Shaffer. Pittsburgh?: Carnegie Institute Museum?, 1901? url p. 119.
- A provisional list of the parasitic fungi of Wisconsin. Madison, 1914 url p. 260, p. 270.
- Acta Societatis pro Fauna et Flora Fennica. Helsinki: Societas, 1875-1980. url p. 324.
- American grasses / Washington: Gov. Print. Off., 1897-1901. url p. 182.
- American grasses / by F. Lamson-Scribner. Washington: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Division of Agrontology, 1897- url p. 182.
- An illustrated flora of the northern United States, Canada and the British possessions: from Newfoundland to the parallel of the southern boundary of Virginia and from the Atlantic Ocean westward to the 102nd meridian / by Nathaniel Lord Britton and Hon. Addison Brown. New York: Scribner, 1913. url p. 206.
- Annals of the Carnegie Museum. [Pittsburgh]: Published by authority of the Board of Trustees of the Carnegie Institute, 1901- url p. 119.
- Annotated list of the ferns and flowering plants of New York state, by Homer D. House. Albany, The University of the state of New York, 1924. url p. 100, p. 99.
- Annual report / Albany: University of the State of New York, 1902-1918. url p. 16, p. 7.
- Annual report / Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. St. Paul: Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota, 1872-1898. url p. 160.
- Annual report Missouri Botanical Garden. 16 1905 St. Louis: Board of Trustees, 1890-1912. url p. 38.
- Annual report of the New Jersey State Museum. Trenton, N.J.: MacCrellish & Quigley, url p. 226.
- Annual report of the Ohio State Academy of Science. Columbus: The Academy, 1893-1930. url p. 110, p. 21, p. 255, p. 81, p. 82, p. 84.
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 96.
- Annual report of the Secretary of the Connecticut Board of Agriculture. Hartford: The Board, 1867-1925. url p. 7.
- Annual report of the State Botanist of the State of New York. Albany: Troy Press, 1889-1897. url , p. 8.
- Annual report of the regents of the university of the state of New York on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 192.
- Annual report on the New York State Museum of Natural History. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 39, p. 80.
- Annual report. United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories. 1st-12th, 1867-1878. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1867-83. url p. 483, p. 496, p. 496.
- Aquatic and wetland plants of southwestern United States, by Donovan S. Correll and Helen B. Correll. [Washington]Environmental Protection Agency; [For sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.]1972. url p. 231.
- Bartonia;proceedings of the Philadelphia botanical club. .. 47 - 51 1980 - 19 Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, Academy of Natural Sciences. url p. 120, p. 31, p. 75, p. 8.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 11.
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 1031, p. 296, p. 337, p. 532, p. 852, p. 989.
- Bulletin - New York State Museum. Albany: New York State Education Dept. url p. 147, p. 61, p. 7.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 131, p. 195.
- Bulletin / United States Department of Agriculture, Division of Agrostology. 1895-1897 Washington, D.C.: The Division, 1895-1901. url p. 116, p. 13, p. 182, p. 7.
- Bulletin of the Essex Institute. Salem, Mass., Essex Institute. url p. 155.
- Bulletin of the Illinois State Laboratory of Natural History. Bloomington, Ill.: The Laboratory, 1876-1918. url p. 578, p. 594.
- Bulletin of the New York Botanical Garden. 1 1898 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., url p. 137.
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 20 1893 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 200, p. 308, p. 478, p. 584, p. 66, p. XXIX.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 130.
- Bulletin of the scientific laboratories of Denison University. Granville, Ohio: [The University], 1885- url p. 95.
- Bulletin, Gulf Biologic Station, Baton Rouge, Louisiana State Board of Agriculture and Immigration., 1902-1910. url p. 29.
- Bulletin. Bureau of Plant Industry. U. S. Department of Agriculture. 1901-13. WashingtonGovt. Print. Off. url .
- Bulletin. Salem, Mass. url p. 155.
- Catalogue of Canadian plants. .. Montreal [etc.]1883-1902. url , p. 392, p. 392.
- Catalogue of plants found in New Jersey by N. L. Britton. Trenton: John L. Murphy Pub. Co., 1889 url p. 288.
- Catalogue of plants found in Oneida County and vicinity. Albany, 1865 url .
- Catalogue of plants which have been found growing without cultivation in the park and its outlying territories collected, mounted and catalogued for the plant herbarium in the superintendent's office at Niagara Falls, Ontario / by Roderick Cameron. Niagara Falls, Ont.?: s.n., 1896? url .
- Catalogue of the flora of Minnesota: including its phænogamous and vascular cryptogamous plants, indigenous, naturalized, and adventive / by Warren Upham. Minneapolis: Johnson, Smith & Harrison, 1884. url p. 160.
- Catalogue of the flora of Oak Island, Revere, Massachusetts. With notes. Salem [Mass.]Peabody Academy of Science, 1883. url p. 17.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 64.
- Catalogue of the phanerogams and ferns of Licking County, Ohio. Granville, Ohio, Press of Granville Times, 1892. url .
- Chapman, A. W. Flora of the southern United States:containing abridged descriptions of the flowering plants and ferns of Tennessee, North and South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida: arranged according to the natural system /By A. W. Chapman, the ferns by Prof. Daniel C. Eaton. 1860 N. Y.: Ivison, Phinney, 1860. url p. 551.
- Contributions from the Botanical Laboratory and the Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: [s.n., url .
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 48 2003 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 101, p. 108, p. 121, p. 145, p. 238, p. 318, p. 320, p. 370, p. 371, p. 379, p. 380, p. 381, p. 426, p. 43, p. 46, p. 466, p. 50, p. 51, p. 523, p. 524, p. 525, p. 527, p. 531, p. 532, p. 533, p. 536, p. 54, p. 540, p. 544, p. 545, p. 549, p. 55, p. 555, p. 56, p. 57, p. 58, p. 59, p. 590, p. 591, p. 62, p. 63, p. 64, p. 65, p. 657, p. 689, p. 69, p. 71, p. 72, p. 73, p. 733, p. 74, p. 744, p. 75, p. 760, p. 77, p. 78, p. 83, p. 84, p. 84, p. 87, p. 88, p. 91.
- Erigenia: journal of the Illinois Native Plant Society. Carbondale, Ill.: The Society, 1982- url p. 11, p. 11, p. 16, p. 21, p. 3, p. 37, p. 56.
- Family #15, Gramineae / Richard W. Pohl. 4 1980 [Chicago]: Field Museum of Natural History, 1980. url fig. 5 , p. 31, p. 32, p. 33, p. 35, p. 596.
- Farmer's book of grasses and other forage plants, Starkville, Miss., J. C. Hill, printer, 1881. url p. 40.
- Field and forest. [Washington: Columbia Press, 1875-1878]. url p. 40.
- First biennial report of the progress of the Geological survey of Michigan, embracing observations on the geology, zoo?logy and botany of the lower peninsula. Made to the governor, December 31, 1860. Lansing, Hosmer & Kerr, printers to the state, 1861. url .
- Flora Peoriana; the vegetation in the climate of middle Illinois. Peoria, Ill., J. W. Franks & Sons, 1887. url , p. 63.
- Flora of Ann Arbor and vicinity. Ann Arbor, [Mich.]: Courier Steam Print. House, 1876. url p. 112.
- Flora of Guatemala: part II: grasses of Guatemala / Jason R. Swallen; Bamboos / F.A. McClure. 24 1955 Chicago, Ill.: Chicago Natural History Museum, 1955. url p. 14, p. 16.
- Flora of Illinois, containing keys for identification of flowering plants and ferns. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame Press, 1963. url p. 339.
- Flora of Indiana, by Charles C. Deam. Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford printing co., contractor for state printing and binding, 1940. url p. 127, p. 129.
- Flora of Japan: in English: combined, much revised and extended translation / by the author of his Flora of Japan (1953) and Flora of Japan, Pteridophyta (1957); edited by Frederick G. Meyer and Egbert H. Walker. Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1965. url p. 143.
- Flora of Lancaster County: being descriptions of the seed-plants growing naturally in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania / by John Kunkel Small and Joel Jackson Carter. New York: The authors, 1913. url p. 26.
- Flora of Lancaster County; being descriptions of the seed- plants growing naturally in Lancaster County, Pennsylvanial. By John Kunkel Small and Joel Jackson Carter. New York, 1913. url p. 26.
- Flora of Middlesex County, Massachusetts, Malden, Middlesex Institute, 1888. url .
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb.[c1912] url .
- Flora of Nebraska; a list of the ferns, conifers and flowering plants of the state with keys for their determination. Plainview, Neb., 1923 url p. 52, p. 53.
- Flora of Pennsylvania, Boston, Ginn & Company, 1903. url .
- Flora of Pennsylvania. Edited with the addition of analytical keys by John Kunkel Small. Boston, Ginn & Co., 1903. url p. 28.
- Flora of Peru... by J. Francis Macbride. 13 1936 Chicago, 1936- url p. 163, p. 165.
- Flora of Vermont. List of ferns and seed plants growing without cultivation. Prepared by Vermont Botanical Club. Burlington, Vt., Free Press Print. Co., 1915. url p. 165.
- Flora of West Virginia, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh and Lawrence William Nuttall. 1 1896 Chicago, 1896. url p. 194.
- Flora of the Blue Hills, Middlesex Fells, Stony Brook and Beaver Brook reservations, of the Metropolitan Park Commission, Massachusetts. Boston: C.M. Barrows, 1896. url p. 101.
- Flora of the District of Columbia and vicinity. By A.S. Hitchcock and Paul C. Standley, with the assistance of the botanists of Washington. WashingtonGovt. print. off.1919 url p. 83, p. 84.
- Flora of the Indiana dunes, a handbook of the flowering plants and ferns of the lake Michigan Coast of Indiana and of the Calumet District, by Donald Culross Peattie. Chicago, Field Museum of Natural History, 1930. url p. 65.
- Flora of the Yellowstone National Park / by Frank Tweedy. Washington, D.C.: F. Tweedy, 1886. url p. 70, p. 70.
- Flora of the southeastern United States; being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, and in Oklahom by John Kunkel Small. New York, The author, 1913. url p. 126.
- Flora of the state of Washington / by Charles V. Piper. Washington: G.P.O., 1906 url p. 121.
- Flora of the state of Washington. By Charles V. Piper. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1906. url p. 121.
- General index to the flora of Formosa as recorded in all literature up to the publication of Icones plantarum Formosanarum VI = Taiwan shokubutsu somokuroku / [B. Hayata] [Taihoku]: Taiwan Sotokufu Minseibu Shokusankyoku, 1917. url p. 93.
- Grasses and forage plants, a practical treatise, comprising their natural history, comparative nutritive value; methods of cultivating, cutting, and curing; and the management of grass lands in the United States and British Pro Boston, Phillips, 1859. url p. 39.
- Grasses and forage plants. A practical treatise. Comprising their natural history; comparative nutritive value; methods of cultivating, cutting, and curing; and the management of grass lands in the United States and British Pro Boston, J. E. Tilton, 1867. url .
- Grasses and forage plants: a practical treatise comprising their natural history; comparative nutritive value; methods of cultivating, cutting, and curing; and the management of grass lands in the United States and British prov Boston, Lee and Shepard, 1888. url p. 39.
- Grasses of the West Indies. By A. S. Hitchcock and Agnes Chase. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1917. url p. 371, p. 426, p. 466.
- Grasses of the West Indies. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1917. url p. 371, p. 426, p. 466.
- Gray's Lessons in botany and vegetable physiology: illustrated by over 360 wood engravings from original drawings by Isaac Sprague: to which is added a copious glossary, or dictionary of botanical terms / by Asa Gray. New York: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & Co., 1877, c1868. url p. 611.
- Handbook of the flora of Philadelphia and vicinity, containing data relating to the plants within the following radius: eastern Pennsylvania, north to the Blue mountains, and west to the Susquehanna; all of New Jersey except the northern counties; and Philadelphia, Philadelphia Botanical Club, 1905. url .
- How to know the grasses; pictured-keys for determining the common and important American grasses, with suggestions and aids for their study. Dubuque, Iowa, W. C. Brown Co. url p. 119.
- Icones plantarum formosanarum nec non et contributiones ad floram formosanam: or, Icones of the plants of Formosa, and materials for a flora of the island, based on a study of the collections of the Botanical survey of the Government of Formosa / By B. Hayata. .. Taihoku: Bureau of Productive Industry, Government of Formosa, 1911-1921. url p. 86.
- Index to the names of North American grasses: a report presented to the Society for the Promotion of Agricultural Science, at the Indianapolis meeting, 1890 / [S.l.]Published by authority of the Society, 1980? url , p. 16.
- Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society. Chapel Hill, N.C. [etc.]Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society [etc.] url p. 128, p. 128.
- Journal of the Kentucky Academy of Science. Lexington, KY: The Academy, 1998- url p. 125, p. 129, p. 52, p. 57, p. 63, p. 88.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. A physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. [Indianapolis]Dept. of Conservation, State of Indiana [Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 232.
- Lake Maxinkuckee. a physical and biological survey by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. [Indianapolis, Wm. B. Burford, printer]1920. url p. 232.
- Lake Maxinkuckee: a physical and biological survey / by Barton Warren Evermann and Howard Walton Clark. Indianapolis: Dept. of Conservation, 1920. url p. 232.
- Leaf-mining insects / by James G. Needham, Stuart W. Frost, Beatrice H. Tothill. Baltimore: The Williams & Wilkins company, [c1928] url p. 302.
- List of Pteridophyta and Spermatophyta growing without cultivation in northeastern North America. Prepared by a Committee of the Botanical Club, American Association for the Advancement of Science. New York, 1894. url p. 41.
- Manual of the Flora of Jackson County, Missouri, By Kenneth K. MacKenzie, assisted by B. F. Bush and others. Kansas City, Mo., s.n., 1902 url p. 26.
- Manual of the botany (Phaenogamia and Pteridophyta) of the Rocky mountain region, from New Mexico to the British boundary. By John M. Coulter. and Chicago: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and company, 1885. url p. 412.
- Manual of the botany (Phænogamia and Pteridophyta) of the Rocky mountain region, from New Mexico to the British boundary. and Chicago, Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and Company, 1885. url .
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States. Including Virginia, Kentucky, and all east of the Mississippi: arranged according to the natural system. New York, G. P. Putnam & Co. [etc.]1857. url .
- Manual of the flora of Jackson County, Missouri. Assisted by B.F. Bush and others. Kansas City, Mo., 1902. url p. 26.
- Manual of the flora of the northern states and Canada / by Nathaniel Lord Britton. New York: Holt, 1905. url p. 109, p. 110.
- Manual of the grasses of the United States / by A.S. Hitchcock. Washington: U.S. G.P.O., 1935. url p. 338, p. 339, p. 340, p. 784.
- Materials for a flora of Formosa: supplementary notes to the Enumeratio plantarum Formosanarum and Flora montana Formosae / by B. Hayata. Tokyo, 1911 url p. 407.
- Memoirs of the American Entomological Society. Philadelphia, American Entomological Society, 1916- url p. 56.
- Memoirs of the Torrey Botanical Club. 4 1893 Durham, N.C.: Published for the Club by the Seeman Printery, 1889- url p. 166, p. 41.
- Memoirs read before the Boston Society of Natural History. Boston, [Boston Society of Natural History]1862-1946. url p. 269.
- Minnesota botanical studies. Minneapolis, Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota. url , p. 523, p. 94.
- Miscellaneous papers on the botany of Michigan, by C. K. Dodge. Prepared under the direction of Alexander G. Ruthven. Published as a part of the Annual report of the Board of Geological Survey for 1920. Lansing, Mich., Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford, State Printers, 1921. url p. 135, p. 173, p. 84.
- Museum bulletin / Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1908-1916. url p. 16.
- National Arboretum contribution. Washington, D.C.: The Arboretum: 1953- url p. 5.
- Natural areas inventory, Gates County, North Carolina / Raleigh: North Carolina Coastal Energy Impact Program, Office of Coastal Management, North Carolina Dept. of Natural Resources and Community Development,  url p. 200.
- New York State Museum bulletin. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1916-1944. url p. 56, p. 78.
- Phytologia memoirs. Plainfield, N.J.: H.N. Moldenke and A.L. Moldenke, 1980- url p. 83.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 102, p. 121, p. 218, p. 22, p. 274, p. 282, p. 366.
- Plant life of Alabama, an account of the distribution, modes of association, and adaptations of the flora of Alabama, together with a systematic catalogue of the plants growing in the state. By Charles Mohr. .. Montgomery, Ala., Brown printing co., 1901. url p. 370.
- Plants of Iowa; a preliminary list of the native and introduced plants of the state, not under cultivation; comp. by Wesley Greene, secretary. Des Moines, Bishard brothers, printers, 1907. url p. 133, p. 133.
- Plants of Mississippi: a list of flowering plants and ferns / by E.N. Lowe. [Jackson, Miss.]: Mississippi State Geological Survey, 1921. url p. 86.
- Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Philadelphia, Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia url p. 546, p. 546, p. 554.
- Proceedings of the Biological Society of Washington. Washington, Biological Society of Washington url p. 23.
- Proceedings of the Indiana Academy of Science. Indianapolis, Ind.[s.n.] url p. 365, p. 365.
- Publication. Field Columbian Museum. Chicago.: Field Columbian Museum, 1895-1909. url p. 194.
- Report of the Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: James B. Lyon, State Printer, 1867-1924. url p. 106, p. 16, p. 80.
- Report of the Geological Survey of Ohio. Columbus, Nevins & Myers, state printers, 1873-93. url .
- Report of the Michigan Academy of Science. Lansing, Mich.: The Academy, 1904-1916. url p. 144.
- Report of the State Botanist. Albany, N.Y.: University of the State of New York, 1898-1925. url , , , p. 61, p. 7.
- Report upon United States Geographical surveys west of the one hundredth meridian, Washington, Govt. print. off., 1875-89. url .
- Reports of the Director. .. / Experimental Farms. Ottawa: Experimental Farms, 1888-1916. url p. 187.
- Reports of the Survey. Botanical series. Minneapolis [etc.]1892- url p. 65, p. 658, p. 659, p. 724, p. 94.
- Resources of the southern fields and forests, medical, economical, and agricultural; Charleston, Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1869. url p. 678.
- Select extra-tropical plants readily eligible for Victorian industrial culture or naturalisation with indications of their native countries and some of their uses / by Baron Ferd. von Mueller. Melbourne: J. Ferres, 1885. url p. 19.
- Small, J. K. Flora of the southeastern United States;being descriptions of the seed-plants, ferns and fern-allies growing naturally in North Carolina, South Carolin, Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana and the Indian territory and in Oklahoma and Texas east of the one-hundredth meridian /by John Kunkel Small. .. 1903 New York: The author, 1903. url p. 126.
- Some grasses of the Northeast: a key to their identification by vegetative characters. Newark, Delaware: University of Delaware, Agricultural Experiment Station, 1962. url p. 54, p. 66.
- South Carolina. Resources and population. Institutions and industries. Pub. by the State Board of Agriculture of South Carolina. Charleston, S.C.Walker, Evans & Cogswell, printers, 1883. url p. 348, p. 348.
- Special papers / Ohio Academy of Sciences. Columbus, Ohio: The Academy, 1899-1929. url p. 43, p. 81, p. 82, p. 84.
- Station bulletin. Durham, N.H.: Agricultural Experiment Station, University of New Hampshire, 1948- url p. 32.
- Studies in natural history. Iowa City, Ia. url p. 29.
- Studies of the vegetation of Missouri. .. / By Julian A. Steyermark. 9 1940 [Chicago, 1940- url p. 368, p. 385, p. 427, p. 447, p. 489, p. 553.
- Syllogeus. Ottawa, National Museum of Natural Sciences, 1972-1995. url p. 13, p. 142, p. 143, p. 17, p. 28, p. 43, p. 6, p. 61.
- Taxonomic literature: a selective guide to botanical publications and collections with dates, commentaries and types (TL2) Utrecht: Bohn, Scheltema & Holkema, 1976-1988. url p. 392.
- Text-book of western botany: consisting of Coulter's Manual of the botany of the Rocky mountains, to which is prefixed Gray's lessons in botany. For the use of schools and colleges between the Mississippi river and the Rocky moun Chicago: Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor, and Company, 1885. url p. 412.
- The American journal of science. 6(2) 1848 New Haven, Kline Geology Laboratory, Yale University. url p. 231.
- The American midland naturalist. Notre Dame, Ind., University of Notre Dame. url p. 127, p. 76.
- The Canadian field-naturalist. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 474, p. 483, p. 637.
- The Canadian journal of science, literature and history. Toronto: Canadian Institute, 1868-1878. url p. 301.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 134.
- The Canadian record of science. Montreal, Natural History Society. url p. 283, p. 415.
- The Journal of the Cincinnati Society of Natural History. Cincinnati: The Society, 1878/79 [i.e. 1878 or 1879]-1945. url p. 172.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 16, p. 521.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 36 1903-05 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 390.
- The Metaspermae of the Minnesota Valley: a list of the higher seed-producing plants indigenous to the drainage-basin of the Minnesota River / by Conway MacMillan. Minneapolis: Geological and Natural History Survey of Minnesota, 1892. url p. 65, p. 658, p. 659, p. 762.
- The Metaspermae of the Minnesota valley; a list of the higher seed-producing plants indigenous to the drainage-basin of the Minnesota river. Minneapolis[Harrison & Smith, State Printers]1892 url p. 65, p. 658, p. 659, p. 724, p. 762.
- The Ohio journal of science. Columbus, Ohio, The Ohio State University and the Ohio Academy of Science url p. 132, p. 171, p. 207, p. 208, p. 209, p. 210.
- The University of Missouri studies. Columbia, Mo.: The University, 1905- url p. 43, p. 92.
- The book of grasses; an illustrated guide to the common grasses, and the most common of the rushes and sedges, Garden City, N. Y., Doubleday, Page & Co., 1912. url , .
- The constitution and by-laws of the Ann Arbor Scientific Association with the proceedings for the year ending May 1, 1876.. ... Ann Arbor, Courier Steam Printing House, 1876. url p. 112.
- The flora of Essex County, Massachusetts. Salem, Essex Institute, 1880. url .
- The flora of Long Island. Lancaster, Pa.New Era Print., 1899. url .
- The flora of Scott and Muscatine counties. By W.D. Barnes, Fred Reppert [and] A.A. Miller. Davenport, Iowa, 1901 url p. 274.
- The flora of Tennessee and a philosophy of botany: respectfully dedicated to the citizens of Tennessee / by Augustin Gattinger. Nashville: Press of Gospel Advocate Pub. Co., 1901. url p. 41.
- The flora of the town of Southold, Long Island, and Gardiner's Island / New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1914? url .
- The flora of the upper Susquehanna and its tributaries / by WJillard Nelson Clute. Binghamton, N.Y.: W.N. Clute, 1898. url p. 130.
- The geological and natural history survey of Minnesota: the twelfth annual report for the year 1883 / N.H. Winchell. Minneapolis: Johnson, Smith & Harrison, 1884. url p. 160.
- The geology of New Hampshire A report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature. C. H. Hitchcock, state geologist Concord, E. A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-1878 url p. 411, p. 411.
- The geology of New Hampshire. A report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature. Concord, E.A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-78. url .
- The geology of New Hampshire: a report comprising the results of explorations ordered by the legislature / C. H. Hitchcock, state geologist. Concord: E. A. Jenks, state printer, 1874-1878. url p. 411.
- The grasses of Illinois / by Edna Mosher. Urbana, Ill.: University of Illinois Agricultural Experiment Station, 1918. url p. 355, p. 358.
- The grasses of Illinois, by Edna Mosher. Urbana, Ill., 1918. url p. 355.
- The grasses of Iowa / L. H. Pammel, J. B. Weems, and F. Lamson-Schribner. Des Moines: Iowa Geological Survey, 1901-1904  i.e. 1905] url p. 170, p. 171, p. 362.
- The grasses of Maine. Designed for the use of the students of the Maine State College, and the farmers of the State. C. D. Fernald, Orono, May, 1885. Augusta, [Me.], Sprague & son, Printers to the State, 1885. url p. 20.
- The grasses of Tennessee including cereals and forage plants / by J.B. Killebrew. .. Nashville: The American, 1878. url p. 264.
- The grasses of Tennessee; including cereals and forage plants. Nashville, The American co., 1878. url .
- The native flora of the vicinity of Cold Spring Harbor, L.I., New York. n.p., 1925 url p. 122.
- The plant life of Maryland, by Forrest Shreve [et al.] Baltimore, Johns Hopkins Press, 1910. url p. 206, p. 400.
- The plants of Prince Edward Island / Ottawa: Research Branch, Agriculture Canada, 1985. url p. 78, p. 79.
- The plants of Southern New Jersey with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, N. J., 1911. url .
- The plants of Southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the Pine Barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 226.
- The plants of southern New Jersey; with especial reference to the flora of the pine barrens and the geographic distribution of the species. Trenton, 1911. url p. 226.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 100, p. 106, p. 110, p. 28.
- Transactions - Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. Ottawa, Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club. url p. 41.
- Transactions of the Illinois State Agricultural Society: with notices and proceedings of county societies, and kindred associations. Springfield: Bailhache & Baer, printers, 1859. url p. 585.
- Transactions of the Illinois natural history society. Ed. by C.D. Wilber. Springfield, 1861. url p. 143.
- Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: W.Y. Morgan, 1903- url p. 93.
- Transactions of the Kentucky Academy of Science. [Lexington, Ky.]Kentucky Academy of Science, 1923-1997. url p. 149, p. 173, p. 45, p. 47, p. 62, p. 81, p. 89.
- Transactions of the Wisconsin State Agricultural Society: with reports of county societies, and kindred associations. edited by J.W. Hoyt, secretary. [Wisconsin]: [s.n.], 1860 url .
- Transactions of the. .. annual meetings of the Kansas Academy of Science. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas Pub. House, 1883-1901. url p. 113, p. 59, p. 96.
- Types of American grasses: a study of the American species of grasses described by Linnæus, Gronovius, Sloane, Swartz, and Michaux. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1908. url p. 145.
- Vascular plants of the Sangamon River basin; annotated checklist and ecological summary [by] Almut G. Jones and David T. Bell. [Urbana], University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, College of Agriculture,  url p. 39, p. 4.
- [Publications] - Bureau of Government Laboratories. Manila, Bureau of Public Printing, 1903-1906. url p. 7.
- Bisby, F.A., Y.R. Roskov, M.A. Ruggiero, T.M. Orrell, L.E. Paglinawan, P.W. Brewer, N. Bailly, J. van Hertum, eds (2007). Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2007 Annual Checklist. Species 2000: Reading, U.K.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Accessed November 21, 2007. http://www.gbif.org Mediated distribution data from 5 providers.
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- The International Plant Names Index. Accessed Dec 27, 2011.
- USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program. Germplasm Resources Information Network - (GRIN) [Online Database]. National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. URL (April 25, 2008)
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 21, 2007:
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- Oregon State University, Vascular Plant Collection
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- University of Alabama Biodiversity and Systematics, Herbarium
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2660748
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-40423
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13724620
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:386132-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 2045
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 40423
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 1128639-1
- MoBot NameID: 25502790
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PMPOA040Z0
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: COPE7
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 20282
- Sheng-lian Lu & Sylvia M. Phillips "Agrostis". in Flora of China Vol. 22 Page 317, 340, 348, 349, 351, 353, 358, 359, 361. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 272.370 meters (893.602 feet), Standard Deviation = 261.200 based on 1,208 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]