Common Names in English:
, on rock, or often epiphytic, erect
, or occasionally pendent. Stems long- to short-creeping, branched or not, bearing scales
and few to numerous
, usually dictyostelic. Leaves monomorphic
in bud. Petiole
, as in Loxogramme ], lacking scales or sometimes scaly
, with usually 3 vascular bundles
. Blade simple
to often pinnatifid
, or pinnate, infrequently more divided
; rachis grooved
or not adaxially. Veins free
(and simple to several times forked
) to often anastomosing in complex
, areoles with or without included
. Indument on blade
absent, or petiole, rachis, costae, and sometimes blade tissue usually bearing hairs
(these often septate
and with reddish crosswalls) and/or scales. Sori borne abaxially on veins, round
, occasionally elongate
, rarely marginal
, rarely covering surface; paraphyses present or absent; sporangia with stalk
of 2 or 3 rows
; indusia absent. Spores usually transparent or yellowish (rarely greenish), all 1 kind, bilateral
, monolete [rarely trilete, as in some Loxogramme], surface most often smooth
, or granulate
, occasionally spiny
, 64 per sporangium (spores globose
and 32 per sporangium in apogamous spp.
) . Gametophytes green, aboveground, cordate or elliptic
or sometimes glandular
; archegonia and antheridia borne on lower surface, antheridia 3-celled.
Genera ca. 40, species perhaps 500 (7 genera, 25 species in the flora ) : worldwide, especially tropics and subtropics.
Genera in this family are variously circumscribed, and the New World species historically were placed in the single genus Polypodium . Many of the segregates recognized here are still placed in Polypodium in recent floristic accounts. Limits of genera in both Old World and New World are controversial and are currently under study by several workers.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Infraphylum: Moniliformopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997, Nom. Nud.
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Crescentia latifolia Mill. • Enallagma latifolia (P. Mill.) Small
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 15-Mar-2000
Members of the genus Adenophorus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 12 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
A. abietinus (Elegant Kihifern) · A. epigaeus (Kauai Kihifern) · A. haalilioanus (Island Kihifern) · A. hymenophylloides (Filmy Kihifern) · A. montanus (Maui Kihifern) · A. oahuensis (Oahu Kihifern) · A. periens (Pendant Kihi Fern) · A. pinnatifidus (Graceful Kihifern) · A. tamariscinus (Wahini Noho Mauna) · A. tamariscinus (Kaulf.) Hook. & Grev. var. tamariscinus (Kaulf.) Hook. & Gre (Wahini Noho Mauna) · A. tamariscinus var. tamariscinus (Wahini Noho Mauna) · A. tripinnatifidus (Royal Kihifern)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- Bulletin of the Torrey Botanical Club. 40 1913 New York: Torrey Botanical Club, 1870-1996 url p. 198.
- Flora of the Hawaiian islands: a description of their phanerogams and vascular cryptogams /by William Hillebrand; annotated and published after the author's death by W.F. Hillebrand. 1888 London: New York: Williams & Norgate; B. Westermann, 1888. url p. 555.
- National list of scientific plant names. [Washington, D.C.]: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Soil Conservation Service, 1982- url p. 327.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 310.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 01, 2008:
- Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum, Bishop Museum Natural History Specimen Data
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2644905
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-17845
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 17845
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 17008390
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PPGRA01070
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: POSA24
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 16977