from S. E. Asia with pinnate leaves and rather inconspicuous
of small yellow flowers. The scarlet "Circassian"
seeds are lens
shaped, about 1/3 inch
in diameter, and are used in
lei construction. Seeds (8mm bright red, slightly compressed
in necklaces, and were once used like Abrus (which has red and black
hards seeds) as a standard
(1 seed c. 4 grains).
Adenanthera seeds are twice as heavy as those of Abrus.
The red heartwood is valued for cabinetwork.
According to the Flora of Ceylon (Volume 1) by M .D. Dassanayake, a red dye is obtained from the wood which is used by Brahmins to mark religious symbols on their foreheads. In India, seeds are sometimes hollow out and filled with many minute carved ivory-coloured elephants/ Circassian seeds
Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Acacia Coral, Agati, Agati Petite Feuille, Arbre , Bead Tree, Boir Noir a Graines Rouges, Boir Noir a La Graine, Boir Noir De Bourbon, Boir Noir Rouge, Bois Noir , Bois Noir De Bourbon, Bois Noir Rouge, Circassian Bean, Circassian Seed, Colales, Corail V, Coral Bean Tree, Coral Tree, Coral Wood, Coralitos, Coralwood, Culalis, Curly Bean, Deleite, Delicia, Dilmawi, False Wili Wili, False Wiliwili, Graine-R, Jumbi Bead, Kaikes, Kolales, Kulales, Kulalis, L', La'aulopa, Lagati, Lera, Lerendamu, Lopa, Paina, Peacock Flower-Fence, Peacock Tree, Peon, Pitipitio, Pomea, Popoa, Red Bead Tree, Red Beadtree, Red Sandalwood, Red Sandalwood Tree, Red Sandalwood-Tree, Red Sandlewood, Redbeadtree, Sandalwood-Tree, Telengt, Telentundalel, Vaivai, Vaivai Ni Vavalagi, Vaivainivavalangi
Common Names in French:
Bois De Condori
Common Names in German:
Condoribaum, Indischer Korallenbaum
Common Names in Kosraean:
Metekem, Metkam, Metkem, Mwetkwem
Common Names in Malagasy:
Bonaramena, Conori, Kafe Bonara, Oeil De Paon
Common Names in Portuguese:
Carolina, Falso-S, Olho-De-Pav, Segav
Common Names in Spanish:
árbol Del Coral
Mostly trees or shrubs . Leaves mostly bipinnate. Corolla usually not showy, actinomorphic , sympetalous , the lobes valvate . Stamens 10-numerous, often monadelphous , showy. Pollen released in monads , tetrads , or polyads . Seeds with u-shaped line (pleurogram) present. [Carr]
Species Adenanthera pavonina
to 15m ht with heavy branching and an open, spreading
crown, the upper bole
. spirally fluted
soft, white, and fibrous
. Very large bipinnate leaves with a large
swollen pulvinus, the rachis grooved
, with 5-6 pairs of pinnae on
, leaving prominent
on stem or twigs
when fallen. Leaflets
; upper surface - matt, laterals
just visible; lower
surface glaucous, laterals just visible. Pods spirally dehiscent
dark brown with a pale
creamy-yellow endocarp visible when dehisced,
the pillar-box red seeds remaining attached to valves
The flowers are faintly scented like orange blossom ; the pods have bright red seeds. Leaves bipinnate; 2-6 opposite pairs of pinnae, each with 8-21 leaflets on short stalks ; alternate leaflets 2-2.5 x 3 cm, oval-oblong, with an asymmetric base and blunt apex, dull green on topside and blue-green underside; leaves turn yellow with age. Flowers borne in narrow spikelike racemes , 12-15 cm long, at branch ends; flowers small, creamy yellow, fragrant; each flower star shaped with 5 petals, connate at the base, and having 10 prominent stamen-bearing anthers tipped with minute glands . Pods long and narrow, 15-22 x 2 cm with slight constrictions between seeds, dark brown, turning black upon ripening, leathery, curve and twist upon dehiscence to reveal 8-12 hard-coated, showy seeds, 7.5-9 mm in diameter, lens shaped, vivid scarlet; seeds adhere to pod. Ripened pods remain on the tree for long periods, sometimes until the following spring . Chicken eyes (Adenanthera bicolor), another species of Adenanthera native to Sri Lanka. The seeds are similar to Circassian seeds except they have a black spot at one end., making them like Abrus.
Flowers: Flower Color: pale yellow
Size: 15-20' tall.
Adenanthera pavonina prefers neutral to slightly acidic soils but will grow on a variety of soils in moist and seasonally moist tropical climates. It is common throughout the lowland tropics up to 300-400 m. Optimal plant growth occurs in areas with precipitation ranging between 3000-5000 mm.
Ecology: Adenanthera pavonina invades intact, undisturbed hardwood forests as well as disturbed sites and can quickly form large colonies.
Temperature: Cold Hardiness: 10b, 11. (map)
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Brongniart, 1843
- Subclass: Rosidae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Magnoliopsida () - Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Adenanthera gersenii Scheff. • Corallaria parvifolia Rumph.
Publishing author : L. Publication : Sp. Pl. 1: 384 1753 [1 May 1753]
Members of the genus Adenanthera
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 4 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A Manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants / Edinburgh: A. and C. Black, 1875. url .
- A bibliographic enumeration of Bornean plants, by E. D. Merrill. Singapore, Printed by Fraser & Neave, ltd., 1921 url p. 294, p. 294.
- A botany for India, by P. F. Fyson. London, The Christian Literature Society for Indian (Madras Branch)1912. url p. 322.
- A complete dictionary of practical gardening: comprehending all the modern improvements in the art; whether in the raising of the various esculent vegetables, or in the forcing and managing of different sorts of fruits and plants, and that of lay By Alexander McDonald [pseud.] London, 1807. url .
- A dictionary of English names of plants applied in England and among English-speaking people to cultivated and wild plants, trees, and shrubs, by William Miller; in two parts, English-Latin and Latin-English. London, J. Murray, 1884. url p. 155.
- A dictionary of the plant names of the Philippine Islands / by Elmer D. Merrill. Manila: Bureau of Public Print., 1903. url p. 13, p. 23, p. 48.
- A general system of botany, descriptive and analytical in two parts; tr. from the original by Mrs. Hooker. .. with additions, an appendix on the natural method, and a synopsis of the orders by J.D. Hooker. London, Longmans, 1876. url .
- A hand-book to the flora of Ceylon: containing descriptions of all the species of flowering plants indigenous to the island, and notes on their history, distribution, and uses: with an atlas of plates illustrating some of the more inte by Henry Trimen. London: Dulau, 1893-1931. url p. 360.
- A handbook of tropical gardening and planting, with special reference to Ceylon, by H. F. Macmillan. .. Colombo, H.W. Cave & co., 1914. url p. 39, p. 440, p. 451, p. 575.
- A manual of Indian timbers: an account of the structure, growth, distribution, and qualities of Indian woods. CalcuttaOffice of the Superintendent of Govt. Printing1881 url p. 146.
- A manual of Indian timbers; an account of the growth, distribution, and uses of the trees and shrubs of India and Ceylon with descriptions of their wood-structure, by J. S. Gamble... London: S. Low, Marston & co. ltd., 1902. url p. 287.
- A manual of botany, including the structure, classification, properties, uses, and functions of plants. London, J & A. Churchill, 1887. url p. 539.
- A manual of botany: being an introduction to the study of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants. By John Hutton Balfour. London: J. J. Griffin [etc.] 1851. url p. 276.
- A manual of botany: including the structure, functions, classification, properties and uses of plants. London, John Churchill, 1861. url p. 531.
- A manual of gardening for western and southern India, by R. Riddell. Ed. and rev. by Lieutenant-colonel Boddam. Madras: Higginbotham and co., 1884. url p. 99.
- A manual of poisonous plants, chiefly of eastern North America, with brief notes on economic and medicinal plants, and numerous illustrations, Cedar Rapids, Ia., The Torch Press, 1911. url .
- A manual of the timbers of the world: their characteristics and uses: to which is appended an account by S. Fitzgerald of the artificial seasoning of timber. London: Macmillan, 1920. url , , .
- A review of the identifications of the species described in Blanco's Flora de Filipinas, Manila, Bureau of public printing, 1905. url p. 42.
- A review of the references to the Hortus malabaricus of Henry Van Rheede Van Draakenstein [sic] Swansea: Printed at the Cambrian-Office, by Murray and Rees, 1839. url p. 27.
- A systematic catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns indigenous to or growing wild in Ceylon. Colombo: G. J. A. Skeen, 1885. url .
- Agricultural news. Bridgetown, Barbados, Bowen & sons;1902-22. url p. 357, p. 417.
- An enumeration of Philippine flowering plants, Manila, Bureau of Printing, 1922-26. url p. 252.
- An enumeration of the vascular plants known from Surinam: together with their distribution and synonymy / by A. Pulle. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1906. url p. 207, p. 509.
- An illustrated dictionary of medicine, biology and allied sciences. .. by George M. Gould. 5th ed., with additions and corrections. PhiladelphiaP. Blakiston's Son1907 url p. 40.
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 263.
- Annales du Jardin botanique de Buitenzorg. 33 1923 Leiden [etc.]: E. J. Brill [etc.] url p. 160, p. 8.
- Botanical abstracts. Baltimore, Williams & Wilkins Co. url p. 21.
- Botanical publications of E.D. Merrill. [New York, etc., 1899- url , , p. 228, p. 252, p. 294.
- Botany for academies and colleges: consisting of plant development and structure from seaweed to clematis, Philadelphia, J.B. Lippincott company, 1889. url .
- Britton, N. L. (ed.). North American flora. [New York]New York Botanical Garden. url p. 188.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. 1879 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 119.
- Bulletin / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington: G.P.O., 1901-1913. url p. 133, p. 317.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1917 1917 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 31.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: The Museum, 1951-1992. url p. 356.
- Bulletin of the Department of Agriculture, Jamaica. Kingston, Dept. of Agriculture, Jamaica. url p. 223.
- Bulletin of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. [Washington, D.C.?]: Supt. of Docs., G.P.O., 1913-1923. url p. 57, p. 72.
- Catalogue of economic plants in the collection of the U. S. Department of Agriculture. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1891. url .
- Catalogue of the collections in the museum of the Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain compiled by E.M. Holmes. London, The Society, 1878. url p. 272, p. 28.
- Catalogue of the economic products of the Presidency of Bombay: being a catalogue of the Government Central Museum, Division 1., Raw produce (vegetable) / compiled by Assistant Surgeon Birdwood. Bombay: Printed at the Education Society's Press, 1862. url p. 297, p. 342.
- Check-list of the species of fishes known from the Philippine Archipelago, Manila, Bureau of printing, 1910. url p. 168, p. 252, p. 522.
- Cocoa, its cultivation and preparation. London, J. Murray, 1912. url , , , , p. 23.
- Cocoa. By Dr. C. J. J. van Hall. London: Macmillan and Co., limited, 1914. url p. 417, p. 507, p. 99.
- Colonial and Indian Exhibition, 1886 official catalogue. London: W. Clowes, 1886. url .
- Common trees of Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands / by Elbert L. Little, Jr., and Frank H. Wadsworth. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Forest Service, 1964. url , p. 142, p. 144, p. 145, p. 529.
- Conservation and sustainable management of trees, report of the third regional workshop, held at Army Hotel, Hanoi, Viet Nam, 18-21 August, 1997 WCMC url p. 121.
- Contribution [I]-III to the coastal and plain flora of Yucatan, by Charles Frederick Millspaugh. 1 1895 Chicago, 1895-1898. url p. v.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 10 1906-1908 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 133, p. 149, p. 174, p. 197, p. 300, p. 303, p. 341, p. 401, p. 404, p. 405, p. 426, p. 445, p. 469, p. 490, p. 58, p. 68.
- Contributions to North American ichthyology. Based primarily on the collections of the United States National Museum. Washington: Govt. print. off., 1877-78. url p. 119.
- Contributions to the flora of Siam [Aberdeen]Printed for the University1912- url p. 77.
- Contributions to the flora of Siam. .. / by William Grant Craib. .. [Aberdeen]: Printed for the University of Aberdeen, 1912- url p. 77.
- Cooperative economic insect report. Hyattsville, MD. [etc.]Plant Protection and Quarantine Programs Animal and Plant Health Service. url p. 60.
- Dedication papers: scientific papers presented at the dedication of the laboratory building and plant houses, April 19-21, 1917. Brooklyn, N.Y.: Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 1918. url p. 51.
- Economic plants. An index to economic products of the vegetable kingdom in Jamaica. Comp. by William Fawcett. .. Jamaica, Govt. Print. Establishment, 1891. url p. 28, p. 6.
- Field Museum news. Chicago: Field Museum of Natural History, [1930-1943] url p. 7.
- Flora Indica, or, Descriptions of Indian plants / by the late William Roxburgh. Serampore: Printed for W. Thacker, 1832. url p. 370.
- Flora Malesiana. general editor, C.G.G.J. van Steenis. Djakarta: Noordhoff-Kolff, 1950- url p. 166, p. 169, p. 172, p. 173, p. 213, p. 3, p. 5, p. 6, p. 9.
- Flora Vitiensis nova: a new Flora of Fiji (spermatophytes only) / Albert C. Smith. Lawaii, Hawaii: Pacific Tropical Botanical Garden, 1979- url p. 56.
- Flora barbadensis: a catalogue of plants, indigenous, naturalized, and cultivated, in Barbados: to which is prefixed, a geological description of the island /by James Dottin Maycock. 1830 London: J. Ridgeway, 1830. url p. 420.
- Flora of Jamaica, containing descriptions of the flowering plants known from the island, by William Fawcett and Alfred Barton Rendle. London.Printed by order of the Trustees of the British Museum, 1910- url p. 128.
- Flora of Kwangtung and Hongkong (China) being an account of the floweriing plants, ferns and fern allies together with keys for their determination preceded by a map and introduction, London, H. M. Stationery off., printed by Darling and son, ltd., 1912. url .
- Flora of the Hawaiian islands: a description of their phanerogams and vascular cryptogams /by William Hillebrand; annotated and published after the author's death by W.F. Hillebrand. 1888 London: New York: Williams & Norgate; B. Westermann, 1888. url p. 115, p. 652.
- Flora of the Presidency of Madras / by J.S. Gamble. London: West, Newman and Adlard, 1915- url p. 418.
- Flora of the island of St. Croix. By Charles Frederick Millspaugh. 1 1902 Chicago, 1902. url p. 493.
- Forest flora of British Burma /By S. Kurz. 1 1877 Calcutta: Office of the superintendent of government printing, 1877. url p. xviii.
- Forest of Port Rico; Washington, Govt. print. off., 1916. url p. 57, p. 72.
- Glimpses into the life of Indian plants: an elementary Indian botany / by I. Pfleiderer. Mangalore: Basel Mission Book and Tract Depository, 1916. url p. 43.
- Great Basin naturalist memoirs. 1992 [Provo, Utah]Brigham Young University, 1976-1992. url p. 1244, p. 796, p. 797.
- Green manures and manuring in the tropics, including an account of the economic value of leguminosæ as sources of foodstuffs, vegetable oils, drugs, &c. By P. de Sornay. .. tr. by F.W. Flattely. .. from the well-known work, "Les plantes tropicales alimentaires et industrielles de la famille des légumineuses." London, J. Bale, Sons & Danielsson, Ltd., 1916. url , , , , .
- Grisebach, A. H. R. Flora of the British West Indian islands /by A.H.R. Grisebach. -18 London, L. Reeve, 1864. url p. 217.
- Hand-book of Indian flora; being a guide to all the flowering plants hitherto described as indigenous to the continent of India. [Madras?]Trabancore Sircar Press, 1864-69. url .
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 192.
- Henderson's Handbook of plants and general horticulture / By Peter Henderson. New York, P. Henderson & Co., 1910. url p. 308.
- Hooker, J. D. The botany of the Antarctic voyage of H.M. discovery ships Erebus and Terror in the Years 1839-1843: under the command of Captain Sir James Clark Ross /by Joseph Dalton Hooker. 3 1860 London: Reeve Brothers, 1844-60. url p. xliv.
- IUCN Directory of Afrotropical Protected Areas IUCN, UNEP url p. 1010, p. 551.
- In the Andamans and Nicobars; the narrative of a cruise in the schooner "Terrapin", with notices of the islands, their fauna, ethnology, etc., by C. Boden Kloss. .. London: J. Murray, 1903. url p. 336, p. 346.
- Indian trees: an account of trees, shrubs, woody climbers, bamboos, and palms indigenous or commonly cultivated in the British Indian empire / London: A. Constable, 1906. url p. 262, p. 708, p. 737.
- Inventory of seeds and plants imported / U.S. Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Washington, D.C.: G.P.O., 1914-1924. url p. 167, p. 172, p. 24, p. 37, p. 52, p. 61, p. 76, p. 82, p. 87, p. 87, p. 88, p. 89, p. 90, p. 91, p. 93.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 6 1868 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 27, p. 4.
- Journal of botany: being a second series of the Botanical miscellany. 4 1842 London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, Green & Longman; Edinburgh: A. & C. Black, 1834-1842. url p. 343.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 30 1929 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 290, p. 309, p. 44.
- Life and letters of Sir Joseph Dalton Hooker. .. Based on materials collected and arranged by Lady Hooker. .. by Leonard Huxley. London: J. Murray, 1918. url p. 107, p. 519.
- List of intercepted plant pests / United States Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine and Control Administration. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O.], 1932- url p. 25, p. 41.
- List of trees, shrubs, and principal climbers, etc., recorded from Burma: with vernacular names / by J.H. Lace. Rangoon, Burma: Supt., Govt. Print., 1922. url p. 282.
- More letters of Charles Darwin. A record of his work in a series of hitherto unpublished letters, ed. by Francis Darwin. .. and A.C. Seward. .. London, J. Murray, 1903. url p. 349, p. 449.
- Natural history of Hawaii, being an account of the Hawaiian people, the geology and geography of the islands, and the native and introduced plants and animals of the group, Honolulu, Hawaii[Printed for the author by] the Hawaiian gazette co., ltd., 1915. url p. 203, p. 511.
- Natural science. London: Macmillan & Co., [1892-1899] url p. 197.
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 326.
- New illustrated encyclopedia of gardening, unabridged. Edited by T.H. Everett, with contributions from twenty horticulturists and authorities in the United States and Canada. New York, Greystone Press[1964-] url p. 43.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 5 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 44.
- Notes on the utilization of forests, being a course of lectures delivered at the Imperial Forest School, Dehra Dun, India. Roorkee, Printed at the Thomason Civil Engineering College Press, 1891. url .
- Observations of a naturalist in the Pacific between 1896 and 1899 / by H.B. Guppy. London: Macmillan and Co., 1903-1906. url p. 159, p. 420, p. 607.
- Official guide to the Botanic Gardens, Dominica: illustrated: with an index of the principal plants. Dominica: The Garden, 1922? url p. 36.
- Oil spill sensitivity of the western Indian Ocean islands: coastal data from the Comoros Islands, Madagascar, Mauritius, Reunion and the Seychelles WCMC url p. 78.
- On the culture and commerce of cotton in India and elsewhere; with an account of the experiments made by the Hon. East India Company up to the present time. London: Smith, Elder, 1851. url p. 602.
- Ornamental gardening in Florida, by Charles Torrey Simpson; a treatise on the decorative plants adapted to Florida and their cultivation, with suggestions for the ornamentation of Florida homes and grounds. Little River, Fla., The author, 1916. url p. 128, p. 136, p. 187, p. 187, p. 60, p. 60.
- Phytologia. Bronx Park, New York, H.A. Gleason and H.N. Moldenke, url p. 34, p. 382, p. 68.
- Pollen / by M. Pakenham Edgeworth. London: Hardwicke & Bogue, 1877. url p. 52, p. 52.
- Preliminary report on the forest and other vegetation of Pegu. CalcuttaC.B. Lewis, Baptist Mission Press1875 url p. liii.
- Proceedings of the Hawaiian Entomological Society. Honolulu: Hawaiian Entomological Society url , .
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url , p. 485.
- Proceedings of the United States National Museum. 6 1883 Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.] url p. 442.
- Report of the Board of Commissioners of Agriculture and Forestry of the Territory of Hawaii for the period. .. Honolulu. url p. 37.
- Report on the scientific results of the voyage of H.M.S. Challenger during the years 1873-76: under the command of Captain George S. Nares, R.N., F.R.S. and Captain Frank Turle Thomson, R.N. / prepared under the superintendence of Sir C. Wyville Thomson. Edinburgh: Neill, 1880-1895. url p. 43.
- Report: . .. Washington, Blair & Rives, printers, 1838 url p. 105.
- Sketch of the forestry of West Africa with particular reference to its present principal commercial products. London, S. Low, Marston, Searle, & Rivington, 1887. url .
- Smithsonian miscellaneous collections. 23 1882 Washington: Smithsonian Institution, 1862-1968. url p. 119, Index.
- Some south Indian insects and other animals of importance considered especially from an economic point of view / by T. Bainbrigge Fletcher. Madras, Printed by the superintendent, government press, 1914. url p. 267.
- Species Blancoanae: a critical revision of the Philippine species of plants described by Blanco and by Llanos /by E.D. Merrill. 1918 Manila: Bureau of Printing, 1918. url p. 168.
- Spices, by Henry N. Ridley. London, Macmillan, Ltd., 1912. url p. 114, p. 339.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 37, p. 393.
- Studies in seeds and fruits, an investigation with the balance, London, Williams and Norgate, 1912. url , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- Systematic list of the trees, shrubs and woody-climbers of the Bombay Presidency / by W.A. Talbot. Bombay: Printed at the Govt. Central Press, 1894. url p. 82.
- The Botanist: containing accurately coloured figures of tender and hardy ornamental plants; with descriptions, scientific and popular; intended to convey both moral and intellectual gratification. 4 1840 London: New York: [etc., etc.], Published by R. Groombridge; [1836-42] url .
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 329, p. 340, p. 462, p. 466.
- The Canadian naturalist and quarterly journal of science: with proceedings of the Natural History Society of Montreal. Montreal: Dawson, 1869-1883. url p. 72.
- The Cuba review. New York: Munson Steamship Line, 1907-1931. url .
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url p. 97.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 192, p. 445, p. 590, p. 772.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 202.
- The Journal of the Linnean Society. Botany. 13 1873 London: the Society: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts & Green: ||Williams and Norgate, 1865-1968. url p. 102, p. 113, p. 120, p. 141, p. 214, p. 426, p. 471, p. 53, p. 533, p. 9.
- The Leguminosae of Porto Rico. By J. Perkins. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1907. url p. 149.
- The Philippine journal of science. 3 1908 Manila. url p. 228, p. 423, p. 425, p. 459, p. 545, p. 62, p. 86.
- The Plant world. Baltimore [etc.]Plant World Association [etc.] url p. 134, p. 197.
- The Solomon Islands and their natives / by H.B. Guppy. London: Swan Sonnenschein, Lowrey, 1887. url p. 293, p. 371.
- The University of Kansas science bulletin. 36 1954 [Lawrence]: University of Kansas, 1902-1996. url p. 1043, p. 1060.
- The commercial products of India: being an abridgment of The dictionary of the economic products of India / by Sir George Watt; published under the authority of His Majesty's secretary of state for India in council. London: J. Murray, 1908. url p. 1181, p. 24, p. 293.
- The complete garden, by Albert D. Taylor, assisted by Gordon D. Cooper. Illustrated with fifty full page cuts, four line charts, and nine coloured plates. Garden City, N.Y., Doubleday, Page, 1921. url p. 301, p. 301.
- The families of flowering plants. Washington, D. C., The Plant World Co.[1900-02] url .
- The flora of British India /By J. D. Hooker assisted by various botanists. Published under the authority of the secretary of state for India in council. 2 1879 London: L. Reeve, 1875-97. url p. 287, p. 287.
- The flora of St. Croix and the Virgin Islands, by Baron H.F.A. Eggers. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1879. url p. 119, p. 48.
- The flora of the American Virgin Islands / N.L. Britton. New York: New York Botanical Garden, 1918. url p. 51.
- The flora of the Dutch West Indian islands. .. by I. Boldingh. Leyden, E. J. Brill, 1909-14. url p. 36.
- The flora of the Malay Peninsula. By Henry N. Ridley, with illus. by J. Hutchinson. London, L. Reeve & co., ltd., 1922-25. url p. 653.
- The flora of the Northern Territory, Melbourne, McCarron, Bird & Co., Printers, 1917. url .
- The flora of the presidency of Bombay / By Theodore Cooke. London: Taylor and Francis, 1903-08. url .
- The flora sylvatica for southern India: containing quarto plates of all the principal timber trees in southern India and Ceylon, accompanied by a botanical manual, with descriptions of every known tree and shrub, and analysis of every genus Madras, Printed by Gantz Brothers[1869-73] url , , p. 46.
- The forest flora of north-west and central India: a handbook of the indigenous trees and shrubs of those countries / Commenced by by J. Lindsay Stewart. Continued and completed by Dietrich Brandis. Prepared at the herbarium of the Royal gardens, Kew. LondonW.H. Allen1874 url p. 168.
- The forest resources of the territories of Papua and New Guineareport by C.E. Lane-Poole. 1925 [Melbourne]:Printed and Pub. for the government of the commonwealth of Australia by H.J. Green, government printer for the State of Victoria,  url p. 205, p. 29, p. 91.
- The forest trees of Mysore and Coorg. Bangalore, Mysore Govt. Central Press, 1894. url .
- The forests and gardens of South India. London, W. H. Allen, 1861. url , , .
- The gardens' bulletin, Straits Settlements. Singapore: Straits Times Press, 1913-1941. url p. 1, p. 154, p. 204.
- The gazetteer of Sikhim. With an introduction by H.H. Risley. Ed. in the Bengal government secretariat. Calcutta: Printed at the Bengal secretariat press, 1894. url p. 285.
- The indigenous trees of the Hawaiian Islands / by Joseph F. Rock. Honolulu: J.F. Rock; 1913. url p. 192.
- The journal of the Asiatic Society of Bengal. Calcutta: Bishop's College Press, 1832-1936 url , , p. 243, p. 353, p. 403.
- The lipids, their chemistry and biochemistry. New York, Interscience Publishers, 1951-57. url p. 496, p. 895.
- The natural history of plants. London, L. Reeve & Co., 1871-88. url .
- The natural history of plants. Translated by Marcus M. Hartog. LondonL. Reeve1871- url p. 22.
- The natural productions of Burmah: or, notes on the fauna, flora, and minerals of the Tenasserim provinces and the Burman empire / by Francis Mason. Maulmain: American Mission Press, 1850. url p. 199.
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 3579.
- The useful native plants of Australia, (including Tasmania) by J. H. Maiden. Sydney, Turner and Henderson, 1889. url p. 369, p. 5, p. 637, p. 668.
- The useful plants of the island of Guam; with an introductory account of the physical features and natural history of the island, of the character and history of its people, and of their agriculture / by William Edwin Safford. Washington, D.C.: Govt. Print. Off., 1905. url , p. 174, p. 175, p. 197, p. 204, p. 217, p. 246, p. 248, p. 303, p. 325, p. 363, p. 368.
- The uses of plants: a manual of economic botany with special reference to vegetable products introduced during the last fifty years / by G. S. Boulger. London: Roper & Drowley, 1889. url p. 199.
- The vegetable kingdom: or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, illustrated upon the natural system / by John Lindley. London: Bradbury and Evans, 1846. url p. 553, p. 811.
- The vegetable kingdom; or, The structure, classification, and uses of plants, LondonBradbury & Evans1853 url p. 811.
- Thwaites, G. H. K. Enumeratio plantarum Zeylaniae =An enumeration of Ceylon plants, with descriptions of the new and little known genera and species, observations on their habitats, uses, native names, etc. /by G.H.K. Thwaites; assisted in the identification of the species and synonymy by J.D. Hooker. 1864 London: Dulau, 1864 [i.e. 1858-1864]. url p. 98.
- Torreya. Burlington, Vt., Torrey Botanical Club, 1901-1945. url p. 126, p. 202.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 102, p. 185.
- Transactions of the Entomological Society of London. London, The Society. url .
- Transactions of the Linnean Society of London. London: [The Society], 1879- url p. 378, p. 499.
- Vernacular list of trees, shrubs, and woody climbers in the Madras Presidency. Madras, Printed by the Superintendant, Government Press, 1915. url p. 1022, p. 344, p. 490, p. 506, p. 515, p. 534, p. 560, p. 804, p. 830, p. 847, p. 848, p. 885, p. 893.
- Wanderings in the great forests of Borneo; travels and researches of a naturalist in Sarawak, London, A. Constable & co., ltd, 1904. url p. 122, p. 413.
- [Pamphlets on agriculture in Guam] S.l.: s.n., 1905-1916 url p. 174, p. 175, p. 193, p. 248, p. 303, p. 363, p. 368, p. 58.
- [Publications] - Bureau of Government Laboratories. Manila, Bureau of Public Printing, 1903-1906. url p. 42.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 11, 2007:
- Australian National Herbarium
- , Australian National Herbarium
- GBIF-Spain, Real Jardin Botanico
- , Vascular Plant Herbarium
- Herbier de la Guyane, Herbier de la Guyane
- International Plant Genetic Resources Institute(IPGRI), The System-wide Information Network for Genetic Resources
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, NSW herbarium collection
- National Herbarium of New South Wales, Plants of Papua New Guinea
- USDA PLANTS, USDA PLANTS Database
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 3874557
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ILD-2
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13632046
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:472165-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 1440
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 26447
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 317691-2
- Natural Heritage Network Species Identifier: PDFAB03010
- U.S.D.A. Plant Symbol: ADPA
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 17109