The Acanthaceae are mostly herbs or shrubs comprising about 250 genera and 2,500 species, including twining forms. The leaves are simple , opposite and decussate; stipules are lacking. The flowers are bisexual , zygomorphic, and usually are associated with conspicuous , often brightly colored bracts. The calyx is usually deeply 4-5 lobed or sometimes is highly reduced with more numerous minute teeth. The corolla is sympetalous , usually 5-merous, mostly zygomorphic, and commonly 2 lipped. The androecium usually consists of 4 didynamous stamens or only 2 stamens adnate to the corolla tube or epigynous zone, alternate with the lobes . The gynoecium consists of a single compound pistil of 2 carpels, a single style, and a superior ovary with 2 locules, each with usually 2-10 axile ovules in one or two collateral vertical tiers . An annular nectary disk is usually found around the base of the ovary. The fruit is commonly an elastically dehiscent loculicidal capsule. The seed stalk or funiculus of each seed is modified into a hook shaped jaculator or retinaculum that functions in flinging out the seeds during dehiscence. -- Gerald Carr.
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- Haeckel, 1866
- Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Vascular Plants
- Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Brongniart, 1843
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Takhtajan, 1967
- Order: Lamiales () - Bromhead, 1838
- Superorder: Lamianae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Subclass: Asteridae () - Takhtajan, 1967
- Class: Spermatopsida () - Brongniart, 1843
- Infraphylum: Radiatopses () - Kenrick & Crane, 1997
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina ()
- Phylum: Tracheophyta () - Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae () - Cavalier-Smith, 1981
- Kingdom: Plantae () - Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Publishing author : Hort. ex Goeze Publication : in Gard. Chron. (1867) 856, 903
Members of the genus Acanthus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 18 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus:
A. caroli-alexandri (Bears Breeches) · A. dioscoridis (Bears Breeches) · A. ebracteatus (Acanthus) · A. hirsutus (Hairy Bears Breeches) · A. hungaricus (Balkan Bear's Breeches) · A. ilicifolius (Holly Mangrove) · A. mollis (Bears Breeches) · A. mollis 'Hollard's Gold' (Bears Breeches) · A. mollis 'Latifolius' (Bear's Breeches) · A. mollis 'Oak Leaf' (Bear's Breech) · A. mollis 'Rue Ledan' (Bears Breech) · A. montanus (Mountain Thistle) · A. polystachyus (Fod.) · A. spinosus (Bear's Breeches) · A. spinosus 'Lady Moore' (Bears Breeches) · A. spinosus 'Spinosissimus Group' (Spinosissimus Group Bears Breeches) · A. syriacus (Syrian Acanthus) · A. 'Summer Beauty' (Bears Breech)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A practical guide to garden plants, containing descriptions of the hardiest and most beautiful annuals and biennials, hardy herbaceous and bulbous perennials, hardy water and bog plants, flowering and ornamental trees and shrubs, conife London;Longmans, Green, 1901. url , p. 86.
- Cultivated plants, their propagation and improvement. Edinburgh, W. Blackwood & Sons, 1877. url p. 169.
- Garden and forest; a journal of horticulture, landscape art and forestry. New York: The Garden and forest publishing co., 1888-97. url .
- Gardening for beginners; a handbook to the garden, by E.T. Cook. [London]"Country Life" [etc., 1914] url .
- Gardening. Chicago, the Gardening Co., 1892-1925. url p. 244.
- Gleanings from French gardens: comprising an account of such features of French horticulture as are most worthy of adoption in British gardens. London, F. Warne;1868. url , , , .
- Gleanings from French gardens; comprising an account of such features of French horticulture as are most worthy of adoption in British gardens. By W. Robinson. London: F. Warne and co.;1868. url , p. 289, p. 33, p. 63.
- Hand-list of herbaceous plants cultivated in the Royal Botanic Gardens. London, Printed for H. M. Stationery Off. by Darling, 1902. url p. 5.
- Hardy flowers. Descriptions of upwards of thirteen hundred of the most ornamental species, with directions for their arrangement, culture, etc.. .. By W. Robinson. London, Macmillan, 1878. url p. 15, p. 41.
- Journal of the International Garden Club. New York, International garden club. url p. 139.
- Papers and proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania. Hobart, Tasmania, The Society. url p. 97.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 3.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 1244, p. 1315.
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url p. 168.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , p. 103, p. 116, p. 119, p. 127, p. 147, p. 147, p. 15, p. 167, p. 169, p. 182, p. 198, p. 216, p. 217, p. 22, p. 224, p. 238, p. 244, p. 262, p. 263, p. 271, p. 274, p. 289, p. 298, p. 308, p. 37, p. 439, p. 459, p. 47, p. 471, p. 539, p. 550, p. 605, p. 613, p. 83, p. 99.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 111, p. 112, p. 113, p. 168, p. 20, p. 255, p. 363, p. 372, p. 437, p. 500, p. 633, p. 678, p. 683, p. 76, p. 821.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url p. 112, p. 425.
- The florist and pomologist. London: "Journal of Horticulture" Office, 1863-1879. url p. 261, p. 262, p. 285.
- The garden month by month; describing the appearance, color, dates of bloom and cultivation of all desirable, hardy plants for the formal or wild garden, with additional lists of aquatics, vines, etc., New York, F. A. Stokes Company url p. 491.
- The garden... London, 1872- url , p. 184, p. 24, p. 271.
- The happy garden, by Mary Ansell. With frontispiece & decorations by Charles E. Dawson & other illustrations from photographs. London, Cassell & co., ltd., 1912. url .
- The parks and gardens of Paris, considered in relation to the wants of other cities and of the public and private gardens; being notes on a study of Paris gardens. London, Macmillan and co., 1878. url , , , , , .
- The parks, promenades, & gardens of Paris, described and considered in relation to the wants of our own cities, and the public and private gardens. London, J. Murray.1869. url , , , , , , .
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 3578.
- The subtropical garden, or, Beauty of form in the flower garden / by W. Robinson London: J. Murray, 1879 url , , p. 221, p. 23, p. 25, p. 47.
- The subtropical garden: or, Beauty of form in the flower garden / by W. Robinson. London: J. Murray, 1891. url , p. 221, p. 23.
- The unheated greenhouse, by K. L. Davidson. [London]"Country life, " ltd. [etc.]1907. url p. 241, p. 46.
- The wild garden, or the naturalization and natural grouping of hardy exotic plants with a chapter on the garden of British wild flowers. London, J. Murray, 1894. url .
- The wild garden; or, Our groves & shrubberies made beautiful. .. London, J. Murray, 1870. url , .
- The wild garden; or, Our groves and gardens made beautiful by the naturalisation of hardy exotic plants. .. London, J. Murray;1883. url .
- Tilton's journal of horticulture and florist's companion. Boston: J.E. Tilton and Co., 1869-1871. url , , p. 123.
- Villa gardening: a handbook for amateur and practical gardeners / by Edward Hobday. London; MacMillan, 1887. url p. 86.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 10, 2012.