Common Names in English:
Redvein Indian Mallow
, or small trees
. Stipules usually caducous
; leaf blade
usually entire (lobed
in A. pictum), palmately veined, base
or serrate. Flowers axillary
, solitary, paired
or in small cymes, often aggregated into terminal
absent. Calyx campanulate
5. Corolla mostly yellow or orange (red in A. roseum), often with dark center, campanulate to wheel-shaped, rarely ± tubular
(A. pictum) ; petals 5, basally connate
many, clustered at filament tube apex. Ovary (5-) 7-20-loculed; ovules 2-9 per carpel; style branches as many as carpels. Fruit a schizocarp, often blackish when mature
, subglobose to hemispherical; mericarps (5-) 7-20, eventually dehiscent
, apex rounded
or acute, sometimes 2-awned, pericarp leathery. Seeds reniform
or slightly pubescent
About 200 species: mostly in tropics and subtropics; nine species (three endemic, one introduced ) in China.
Several species have become widespread tropical weeds . One species, Abutilon pictum, is widely grown as an ornamental .
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 4,653 meters (0 to 15,266 feet).
Members of the genus Abutilon
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 119 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in this genus. Here are just 100 of them:
A. abutiloides (American Indian-Mallow) · A. asiaticum (Asian Indian Mallow) · A. auritum (Asian Indian Mallow) · A. berlandieri (Berlandier Indian Mallow) · A. chittendenii (Canary Tree) · A. eremitopetalum (Hidden-Petaled Abutilon) · A. fruticosum (Indian Mallow) · A. grandiflorum (Hairy Indian Mallow) · A. grandifolium (Hairy Indian Mallow) · A. hirtum (Florida Key Indian-Mallow) · A. hulseanum (Mauve) · A. hybridum (Chinese-Lantern) · A. hybridum 'Albus' (White Flowering Maple) · A. hybridum 'Kathy Bells' (Abutilon) · A. hybridum 'Luteus' (Yellow Flowering Maple) · A. hypoleucum (White-Leaf Indian-Mallow) · A. incanum (Indian Mallow) · A. incanum incanum (Edible Hibiscus) · A. incanum pringlei (Pringle's Abutilon) · A. incanum subsp. pringlei (Pringle's Abutilon) · A. indicum (American Indian-Mallow) · A. malacum (Yellow Indian Mallow) · A. megapotamicum (Chinese Lanterns) · A. megapotamicum 'Little Imp' (Chinese Lanterns) · A. megapotamicum 'Melon Delight' (Chinese Lanterns) · A. megapotamicum 'Paisley' (Chinese Lanterns) · A. megapotamicum 'Pink' (Chinese Lanterns) · A. megapotamicum 'Red' (Chinese Lanterns) · A. megapotamicum 'Seashell' (Chinese Lanterns) · A. megapotamicum 'Sunset' (Chinese Lanterns) · A. megapotamicum 'Variegatum' (Chinese Lanterns) · A. megapotamicum 'Victory' (Chinese Lanterns) · A. megapotamicum 'Victor's Folly' (Chinese Lanterns) · A. menziesii (Ko'oloa 'ula) · A. molle (Hairy Abutilon) · A. mollicomum (Sonora Indian-Mallow) · A. palmeri (Palmer Indian Mallow) · A. parishii (Parish Indian Mallow) · A. parvulum (Dwarf Abutilon) · A. permolle (Coastal Indian Mallow) · A. pictum (Painted Indian Mallow) · A. pictum 'Gold Dust' (Abutilon) · A. pictum 'Marginata' (Flowering Maple) · A. pictum 'Thompsonii' (Flowering Maple) · A. pictum 'Thompsonii Yellow' (Abutilon) · A. pictum 'Vesuvius' (Abutilon) · A. purpurascens (Night Flowering Maple) · A. reventum (Yellow-Flower Indian-Mallow) · A. roseum (Red-Flowered Abutilon) · A. sandwicense (Greenflower Indian Mallow) · A. 'Savitzii' (Chinese Bell Flower) · A. spinifex (Gingerbush) · A. striatum (Redvein Indian Mallow) · A. theophrasti (Butter Print) · A. thurberi (Thurber Abutilon) · A. trisulcatum (Angle-Stem Indian-Mallow) · A. virginianum (Jost Van Dyke's Indian Mallow) · A. vitifolium (Abutilon) · A. vitifolium 'Tennant's White' (Tennant's White Flowering Maple) · A. wrightii (Wright Abutilon) · A. incanum (Glossy Abelia) · A. x hybridum (Chinese Bellflower) · A. x suntense (Indian Mallow) · A. × suntense 'Violetta' (Suntense Flowering Maple) · A. x 'Moned' (Super Red® Flowering Maple) · A. 'Apollo' (Chinese Bell Flower) · A. 'Apricot' (Flowering Maple) · A. 'Ashford Red' (Flowering Maple) · A. 'Baby Orange' (Flowering Maple) · A. 'Bartley Schwartz' (Chinese Bell Flower) · A. 'Bella Coral' (Abutilon) · A. 'Bella Pink' (Abutilon) · A. 'Bella Select Mix' (Abutilon) · A. 'Bella Vanilla' (Abutilon) · A. 'Canary Bird' (Canary Bird Flowering Maple) · A. 'Chinese Red' (Flowering Maple) · A. 'Clementine' (Flowering Maple) · A. 'Dame Vanessa' (Chinese Bell Flower) · A. 'Dwarf Red' (Dwarf Red Flowering Maple) · A. 'Eric Lilac' (Abutilon 'eric Lilac') · A. 'Fon Vai' (Flowering Maple) · A. 'Frieda' (Flowering Maple) · A. 'Fruit Punch' (Flowering Maple) · A. 'Gingerbomb' (Flowering Maple) · A. 'Harvest Moon' (Flowering Maple) · A. 'Huntington Pink' (Flowering Maple) · A. 'Ines' (Abutilon 'ines') · A. 'Kentish Belle' (Flowering Maple) · A. 'Kristen's Pink' (Kristen's Pink Flowering Maple) · A. 'Linda Vista Peach' (Chinese Bell Flower) · A. 'Louis Marignac' (Flowering Maple) · A. 'Luteus' (Flowering Maple) · A. 'Magic Lantern' (Flowering Maple) · A. 'Marianne' (Flowering Maple) · A. 'Melon Sorbet' (Chinese Bell Flower) · A. 'Millie Houghton' (Abutilon 'millie Houghton') · A. 'Mobile Pink' (Flowering Maple) · A. 'Moonchimes' (Chinese Bell Flower) · A. 'Orange Hot Lava' (Abutilon 'orange Hot Lava') · A. 'Pablo's Tangelo' (Flowering Maple)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A descriptive catalogue of useful fiber plants of the world: including the structural and economic classifications of fibers / by Charles Richards Dodge. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1897. url p. 38.
- A dictionary of modern gardening / by George William Johnson. .. with one hundred and eighty wood cuts. Edited, with numerous additions, by David Landreth. Philadelphia: Lea and Blanchard, 1847. url , p. 622.
- A dictionary of modern gardening. Philadelphia, Lea and Blanchard, 1847. url , p. 622.
- A laboratory course in plant physiology. New York, H. Holt and Co., 1908. url .
- A manual of gardening for Bengal and Upper India. By Thomas A. C. Firminger. .. Calcutta, Thacker, Spink and co.; [etc., etc.]1874. url p. 413.
- A provisional list of the indigenous and naturalized flowering plants of Jamaica, Kingston, Jamaica, Aston W. Gardner & Co., 1893. url .
- Anales de la Sociedad Española de Historia Natural. Madrid: La Sociedad, url p. 219.
- Bergen's botany: key and flora: Northern and Central States ed. / by Joseph Y. Bergen. Boston: Ginn, 1901. url p. 148.
- Botany, an elementary text for schools. New YorkMacmillan1900 url p. 341.
- Botany: an elementary text for schools / by L. H. Bailey. New York: Macmillan, 1901, c1900. url p. 341.
- Botany; an elementary text for schools, by L. H. Beiley. New York, Macmillan Co., 1909 [c1907] url p. 415.
- Bulletin - United States National Museum. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, [etc.];1877-1971. url p. 52.
- Bulletin of miscellaneous information /Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. 1911 London: H.M. Stationery Office, 1900-1941. url p. 54, p. 88.
- C. E. Hobbs Botanical hand-book of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use. Especially designed as a reference book for druggists and apothecaries. Comp. and pub. by Charles E. Hobbs. Boston, Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url p. 113.
- C.E. Hobbs' Botanical hand-book: of common local, English, botanical and pharmacopœial names arranged in alphabetical order, of most of the crude vegetable drugs, etc., in common use: their properties, productions and uses in an abb Boston: Printed by C.C. Roberts, 1876. url .
- Catalogue of scientific papers (1800-1900) Comp. by the Royal society of London. Cambridge, C. J. Clay and sons, 1867-1902; url p. 241.
- Catalogue of scientific papers, 1800-1900. Compiled by the Royal Society of London. London, C.J. Clay and Sons, 1867-1902 [etc.] Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, 1914-25. url p. 241.
- Catalogue of the flowering plants and ferns of Connecticut growing without cultivation / by Charles Burr Graves. .. [et al.]; Committee of the Connecticut Botanical Society. Hartford: Printed for the State Geological and Natural History Survey, 1910. url p. 278.
- Choice stove and greenhouse flowering plants, comprising descriptions of upwards of thirteen hundred species and varieties, . .. London, Published and sold by the author, 1883. url .
- Class book of botany. Being outlines of the structure, physiology and classification of plants. With a flora of all parts of the United States and Canada. By Alphonso Wood. .. New York, A.S. Barnes & Burr;1860. url p. 268.
- Class-book of botany: being outlines of the structure, physiology, and classification of plants: with a flora of the United States and Canada / by Alphonso Wood. New York: A.S. Barnes & Co.; 1874, c1869. url p. 268.
- Contributions from the United States National Herbarium 23 1920-1926 Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1890- url p. 748, p. 750.
- Contributions to the natural history of the Bermudas. Washington, Govt. print. off., 1884. url p. 52.
- Cross-breeding and hybridization; the philosophy of the crossing of plants, considered with reference to their improvement under cultivation; with a brief bibliography of the subject. New York, The Rural Publishing Company, 1892. url .
- Cultivated plants, their propagation and improvement. Edinburgh, W. Blackwood & Sons, 1877. url p. 385, p. 62.
- Cyclopedia of American horticulture, comprising suggestions for cultivation of horticultural plants, descriptions of the species of fruits, vegetables, flowers and ornamental plants sold in the United by L. H. Bailey. .. assisted by William Miller. .. and many expert cultivators and botanists. London: The Macmillan company, 1909. url p. 1388, p. 4.
- Diseases of cultivated plants and trees / by George Massee. New York: Macmillan, [1910?] url p. 37.
- Edwards's botanical register. 30 1844 London: James Ridgway, 1829-1847. url , , , , , , , , p. 45.
- Exercises in botany for the Pacific states / by Volney Rattan. San Francisco: Whitaker & Ray, 1897. url p. 268.
- Experiment station record. Washington: G.P.O., 1889-1946. url p. 1201, p. 562.
- Familiar garden flowers / London: Cassell, [1879-1887] url , .
- Favourite flowers of garden and greenhouse /by Edward Step. ..; the cultural directions edited by William Watson. ..; illustrated with three hundred and sixteen coloured plates, selected and arranged by D. Bois. 1 1896 London and New York: Frederick Warne & co., 1896-97. url , p. 100.
- Fibres from plants, indigenous and introduced, eligible for industrial culture and experiment in Victoria, Melbourne, R. S. Brain, government printer, 1894. url , .
- Field, forest and garden botany: a simple introduction to the common plants of the United States east of the 100th meridian, both wild and cultivated / by Asa Gray. New York: American Book, c1895. url p. 88.
- Field, forest, and garden botany, a simple introduction to the common plants of the United States east of the Mississippi, both wild and cultivated. New York, Ivison, Phinney, Blakeman, 1869. url p. 73.
- Field, forest, and garden botany; a simple introduction to the common plants of the United States east of the 100th meridian, both wild and cultivated, by Asa Gray. .. Cincinnati [etc.]American Book Company url p. 88.
- Flora of Bermuda. .. by Nathaniel Lord Britton. .. New York, C. Scribner's sons, 1918. url p. 233.
- Flora of Bermuda... by Nathaniel Lord Britton... New York, Scribner, 1918. url p. 233.
- Flora of Costa Rica. .. by Paul C. Standley. .. 18 1937 Chicago, 1937. url p. 665.
- Flora of Guatemala / Paul C. Standley and Julian A. Steyermark. 24 1949 Chicago, Ill.: Chicago Natural History Museum, 1949. url p. 333.
- Flora of Jamaica, containing descriptions of the flowering plants known from the island, by William Fawcett and Alfred Barton Rendle. London.Printed by order of the Trustees of the British Museum, 1910- url p. 103.
- Flora of Peru: Sapindageae / by J. Francis Macbride. 13 1956 Chicago, [Ill.]: Field Museum of Natural History,  url p. 502.
- Flowers for the parlor and garden / Cambridge, Mass.: Hurd and Houghton; 1876. url p. 143.
- Flowers for the parlor and garden. Boston, J.E. Tilton & company, 1868. url p. 143.
- Foundations of botany / by Joseph Y. Bergen. Boston: Ginn, 1901. url p. 148.
- Foundations of botany, Boston, Ginn & Co., 1901. url .
- Gardening for amateurs; a simple, complete, and practical guide for garden lovers, edited by H. H. Thomas. Illustrated by twenty-four coloured plates and many hundreds of photographs and sketches. New York: Funk and Wagnalls company,  url p. 772.
- Gardening for ladies, and, Companion to the flower-garden / by Mrs. Loudon. New York: John Wiley, 1851. url p. 101.
- Genetics in relation to agriculture, New York, McGraw-Hill; [etc., etc.]1918. url , p. 382.
- Gleanings from French gardens: comprising an account of such features of French horticulture as are most worthy of adoption in British gardens. London, F. Warne;1868. url .
- Gleanings from French gardens; comprising an account of such features of French horticulture as are most worthy of adoption in British gardens. By W. Robinson. London: F. Warne and co.;1868. url p. 26.
- Gray's School and field book of botany: consisting of "Lessons in botany" and "Field, forest, and garden botany" bound in one volume. New York: American Book Company, [between 1895 and 1900]. url p. 88.
- Gray's school and field book of botany. Consisting of "Lessons in botany, " and "Field, forest, and garden botany, " bound in one volume. New York, American book company, 1901?, c1887 url p. 88.
- Handbook of flower pollination based upon Hermann Müller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects'; tr. by J.R. Ainsworth Davis. Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1906. url p. 16, p. 36, p. 38.
- Handbook of flower pollination: based upon Hermann Mu?ller's work 'The fertilisation of flowers by insects' / Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1906-09. url , , .
- History of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. 1829-1878. Boston, The Society, 1880. url p. 258.
- History of the Massachusetts horticultural society. Boston, The Society, 1880. url p. 258.
- House plants and how to grow them, by Parker T. Barnes. New York, Doubleday, Page, 1909. url p. 125, p. 125, p. 55, p. 55.
- Illustrations of the natural orders of plants with groups and descriptions. Reduced from the original folio ed. 1 1868 London: Sampson Low, Son, and Marston, 1868. url explanation of plate 23, p. x.
- Jenaische Zeitschrift für Naturwissenschaft. Jena, Gustav Fischer [etc.]. url p. 23.
- Johnson's Gardeners' dictionary and cultural instructor. London, A. T. De La Mare printing and publishing co., ltd. url p. 802.
- Journal of botany, British and foreign. 30 1892 London: Robert Hardwicke, 1863-1942. url p. 330, p. 331.
- Journal of economic entomology. [College Park, Md., etc.]Entomological Society of America [etc.] url p. 537, p. 539.
- Journal of the New York Botanical Garden. 15 1914 Lancaster, Pa.: Published for the Garden by the New Era Printing Co., 1900- url p. 207, p. 209, p. 210, p. 212.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url p. 559.
- Leaflets of western botany. San Fransisco:[J. T. Howell], 1932-1966. url .
- List of duplicate plants in the Government Botanic Gardens, November 1874. Port-of-Spain: G.P.O., 1874. url p. 4.
- Manual of gardening: a practical guide to the making of home grounds and the growing of flowers, fruits, and vegetables for home use / New York: Macmillan Co., 1911. url .
- Manual of gardening; a practical guide to the making of home grounds and the growing of flowers, fruits, and vegetables for home use, New York, The Macmillan Company, 1917. url .
- Manual of the botany of the northern United States: including Virginia, Kentucky, and all east of the Mississippi / by Asa Gray; (the mosses and liverworts by Wm. S. Sullivant.) Chicago: Ivison, Phinney; 1863, c1862. url .
- Nature. London, etc., Macmillan Journals Ltd., etc. url p. 570.
- New England farmer, and horticultural register. Boston: Joseph Breck & Co., 1839-1844. url p. 145.
- New illustrated encyclopedia of gardening, unabridged. Edited by T.H. Everett, with contributions from twenty horticulturists and authorities in the United States and Canada. New York, Greystone Press[1964-] url p. 21.
- Nicholson, G. The illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopædia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists /edited by George Nicholson; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. .. 9 1884 London: L.U. Gill, -88. url p. 395, p. 401, p. 402, p. 405, p. 408, p. 412, p. 418, p. 423, p. 426, p. 427, p. 428, p. 430.
- Ornamental gardening in Florida, by Charles Torrey Simpson; a treatise on the decorative plants adapted to Florida and their cultivation, with suggestions for the ornamentation of Florida homes and grounds. Little River, Fla., The author, 1916. url p. 141, p. 187, p. 187.
- Photo-micrographs and how to make them Boston, J. R. Osgood and company, 1883. url .
- Physiological plant anatomy, tr. by Montagu Drummond. London, MacMillan, 1914. url p. 563, p. 583, p. 765.
- Plant-breeding; being six lectures upon the amelioration of domestic plants, London, Macmillan & co., ltd., 1906. url p. 371.
- Popular gardening and fruit growing; An illustrated periodical devoted to horticulture in all its branches. Buffalo, New York;Popular gardening publishing company. url p. 9.
- Practical landscape gardening, with reference to the improvement of rural residences, giving the general principles of art; with full directions for planting shade trees, shrubbery and flowers, and laying out grounds. Cincinnati, Moore, Wilstach, Keys & co., 1855. url p. 239.
- Practical landscape gardening: with reference to the improvement of rural residences, giving the general principles of the art: with full directions for planting shade trees, shrubbery and flowers, and laying out grounds / by G.M. Kern. Cincinnati: Moore, Wilstach, Keys & Co., No. 25 West Fourth Street, 1855. url p. 239.
- Proceedings and transactions of the Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. Halifax: Nova Scotian Institute of Natural Science. url p. 246.
- Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, Mathematical and physical sciences. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge Philosophical Society. url p. 142.
- Report of the Commissioner of Agriculture. .. Washington: G.P.O., 1863-1889. url p. 511.
- Report of the transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society for the year. .. with preliminary observations. [S.l.: s.n.], 1839. url p. 10, p. 12.
- Standardized plant names; a catalogue of approved scientific and common names of plants in American commerce. Salem, Mass., 1923. url p. 2.
- Supplementary catalogue of rare and new fruits: in addition to those comprised in the 34th edition of the general catalogue of fruit trees, &c. cultivated at Prince's Linn©an Botanic Garden and Nurseries, Flushing, near New-York / Wm. R. Prince & Co., proprietors. New York: s.n., 1847? url p. 11.
- The American florist: a weekly journal for the trade. Chicago: American Florist Company, [1885-1931] url p. 111, p. 509.
- The American home garden: being principles and rules for the culture of vegetables, fruits, flowers, and shrubbery / by Alexander Watson New York: Harper & Brothers, 1859 url p. 467.
- The American journal of horticulture and florist's companion. Boston: J.E. Tilton and Co., 1867-1869. url p. 105.
- The Asa Gray bulletin. 2 1953 Ann Arbor, Mich. url p. 417, p. xi.
- The Botanist: containing accurately coloured figures of tender and hardy ornamental plants; with descriptions, scientific and popular; intended to convey both moral and intellectual gratification. 3 1839 London: New York: [etc., etc.], Published by R. Groombridge; [1836-42] url no. 144.
- The Bradley bibliography; a guide to the literature of the woody plants of the world published before the beginning of the twentieth century; Cambridge, Riverside Press, 1911-18. url p. 40, p. 521, p. 586, p. 659.
- The Cottage gardener. [London: W.S. Orr, url , , , , p. 27.
- The English flower garden and home grounds: design and arrangement followed by a description of the plants, shrubs and trees for the open-air garden and their culture / by W. Robinson. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1921. url p. 325.
- The Farmer's magazine. London, Rogerson and Tuxford [etc.]. url p. 198.
- The Floral world and garden guide. London, Groombridge and Sons, 1858-1880. url , , , p. 173, p. 179, p. 187, p. 273, p. 28, p. 320, p. 320, p. 4, p. 86.
- The Florist and horticultural journal. Philadelphia, [Pa.: s.n.], 1853-1855. url .
- The Florists' exchange: a weekly medium of interchange for florists, nurserymen, seedsmen and the trade in general. New York, N.Y.: [A.T. De la Mare Ptg. and Pub. Co., url p. 289, p. 624.
- The Garden: an illustrated weekly journal of gardening in all its branches. London: [s.n., url , p. 173, p. 21, p. 218, p. 225, p. 301, p. 301, p. 373, p. 487, p. 89.
- The Gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orome, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url p. 645.
- The Gardener's monthly and horticulturist. Philadelphia, Pa.: Charles H. Marot, 1876-1888. url , p. 333, p. 66.
- The Gardener. Edinburgh;W. Blackwood and sons, 1867-1882. url p. 140.
- The Gardeners' chronicle and agricultural gazette. 1844 London: published for the proprietors, 1844-1873. url , , p. 1100, p. 142, p. 146, p. 149, p. 178, p. 186, p. 216, p. 232, p. 346, p. 353, p. 369, p. 519, p. 739, p. 78, p. 914.
- The Gardeners' chronicle. 1841 London: published for the proprietors, 1841-1843. url p. 213, p. 217, p. 232, p. 393, p. 425, p. 685, p. 761, p. iii.
- The Gardeners' chronicle: a weekly illustrated journal of horticulture and allied subjects. London: [Gardeners Chronicle], 1874-1955. url p. 131, p. 134, p. 143, p. 17, p. 224, p. 239, p. 240, p. 266, p. 29, p. 297, p. 312, p. 347, p. 370, p. 378, p. 427, p. 428, p. 440, p. 488, p. 489, p. 743, p. 775, p. 816.
- The Horticulturist and journal of rural art and rural taste. Albany, N.Y.: Luthur Tucker, 1846/1847-1875 url p. 106, p. 243, p. 246, p. 247, p. 386, p. 498, p. 550, p. 575, p. 583.
- The Illustrated dictionary of gardening: a practical and scientific encyclopaedia of horticulture for gardeners and botanists / edited by George Nicholson. ..; assisted by J.W.H. Trail. .. and J. Garrett. ... London: L. Upcott Gill; 1887-1889. url p. 395, p. 402, p. 405, p. 408, p. 412, p. 418, p. 423, p. 426, p. 427, p. 428, p. 430.
- The Journal of horticulture, cottage gardener and country gentlemen. London: George W. Johnson and Robert Hogg, 1861-1877. url , p. 106, p. 134, p. 164, p. 198, p. 229, p. 247, p. 279, p. 301, p. 44, p. 442, p. 82.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 7.
- The Lancaster, farmer, a monthly journal: Lancaster, Pa., Wylie & Griest [etc., 1869]- url p. 174.
- The Magazine of horticulture, botany, and all useful discoveries and improvements in rural affairs. Boston: Hovey and Co., 1837- url p. 103, p. 154, p. 216, p. 467, p. 477, p. 90.
- The Philadelphia florist and horticultural journal: a magazine of horticulture, botany, agriculture, and the kindred sciences. Philadelphia, [Pa.: s.n.], 1852-1853. url .
- The Review of applied entomology. Farnham Royal, Eng., etc.: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, etc. url p. 577.
- The Year-book of agriculture, or, The annual of agricultural progress and discovery / [edited] by David A. Wells. Philadelphia: Childs & Peterson, 1856. url p. 296.
- The amateur's greenhouse and conservatory: a handy guide to the construction and management of planthouses, and the selection, cultivation, and improvement of ornamental greenhouse and conservatory plants / by Shirley Hibberd; illustrated with coloured plants and wood engravings. London: Groombridge and Sons, 1873. url p. 146, p. 183.
- The book of garden management: Comprising information on laying out and planting gardens... London: S.O. Beeton, [1862?] url p. 480.
- The commonly occuring wild plants of Canada a flora for the use of beginners / by H.B. Spotton. Toronto: W.J. Gage, [1887?] url .
- The cultivated evergreens; a handbook of the coniferous and most important broad-leaved evergreens planted for ornament in the United States and Canada, edited by L. H. Bailey. London, Macmillan & co., ltd., 1923. url p. 376.
- The florist and pomologist. London: "Journal of Horticulture" Office, 1863-1879. url p. 20, p. 283.
- The florist, fruitist, and garden miscellany. London: Chapman and Hall, 1852- url p. 155.
- The forests and gardens of South India. London, W. H. Allen, 1861. url .
- The garden... London, 1872- url p. 311, p. 487.
- The gardener's magazine and register of rural & domestic improvement. London: Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown and Green, 1826-1844. url , p. 395, p. 594.
- The handbook to the flower garden and greenhouse / by George Glenny. London: W. Kent, 1859. url .
- The journal of the Horticultural Society of London. London, [England]: Published for the Society, by Longman and Co., 1846-1855. url p. 244, p. 306.
- The ladies' companion to the flower-garden: being an alphabetical arrangement of all the ornamental plants usually grown in gardens and shrubberies, with full directions for their culture / by Mrs. Loudon. London: Bradbury & Evans, 1858. url p. 369.
- The new practical window gardener; being practical directions for the cultivation of flowering and foliage plants in windows and glazed cases, and the arrangement of plants and flowers for the embellishment of the household. London, Groombridge and sons, 1877. url .
- The parks and gardens of Paris, considered in relation to the wants of other cities and of the public and private gardens; being notes on a study of Paris gardens. London, Macmillan and co., 1878. url .
- The standard cyclopedia of horticulture; a discussion, for the amateur, and the professional and commercial grower, of the kinds, characteristics and methods of cultivation of the species of plants grown in the regions of the United States a Illustrated with colored plates, four thousand engravings in the text, and ninety-six full-page cuts. New York, Macmillan, 1919 [c1914] url p. 177, p. 2700, p. 2701.
- The window gardener / by Edward S. Rand, Jr. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1882, c1876. url p. 93.
- The window gardener. By Edward S. Rand, jr. Boston, Shepard and Gill, 1873. url p. 93.
- The year-book of agriculture: or The annual of agricultural progress and discovery for 1855 and 1856. Exhibiting the most important discoveries and improvements in agricultural mechanics, agricultural chemistry, agricultural and h by David A. Wells. Philadelphia: Childs & Peterson, 1856. url p. 296.
- Transactions and proceedings of the Botanical Society of Edinburgh. [Edinburgh]: The Society, 1891-1970. url p. 72.
- Transactions of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society. [S.l.: s.n.], 1843-1920. url p. 69, p. 94.
- Transactions of the Natural History Society of Northumberland, Durham, and Newcastle-upon-Tyne. Newcastle-upon-Tyne [et al.]F. & W. Dodsworth [et al.]1865/67-1973. url p. 132.
- Trees & shrubs for English gardens. [London]"Country life", 1908. url p. 386.
- Trees and shrubs of Mexico / By Paul C. Standley. Washington, Govt. Print. Off., 1920-1926. url p. 748, p. 750.
- Vernacular list of trees, shrubs, and woody climbers in the Madras Presidency. Madras, Printed by the Superintendant, Government Press, 1915. url p. 377, p. 771.
- Window gardening. Devoted specially to the culture of flowers and ornamental plants, for indoor use and parlor decoration. Ed. by Henry T. Williams. New York, H. T. Williams, 1878. url p. 235, p. 235.
- Window gardening: devoted specially to the culture of flowers and ornamental plants for indoor use and parlor decoration / edited by Henry T. Williams. New York: H.T. Williams, 1872. url p. 235.
- Feng Kuo-mei. 1984. Malvaceae. In: Feng Kuo-mei, ed., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 49(2): 1-102.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 9, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal February 01, 2008:
- Comisión nacional para el conocimiento y uso de la biodiversidad, Herbario del Instituto de Ecología, A.C., México
- GBIF-Spain, Institut Botanic de Barcelona, BC
- Herbarium of the University of Aarhus, The AAU Herbarium Database
- Instituto Nacional de Biodiversidad
- , Biodiversidad de Costa Rica
- Missouri Botanical Garden, Missouri Botanical Garden
- Taiwan Biodiversity Information Facility, Magnoliophyta
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 2663315
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-181992
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 13728611
- Globally Unique Identifier: urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:558530-1
- GRIN Nomen Number: 756
- International Plant Names Index (IPNI) ID: 323600-2
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 407536
- "Abutilon". in Flora of China Vol. 12 Page 265, 275. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org. [back]
- Mean = 1,094.310 meters (3,590.256 feet), Standard Deviation = 1,431.490 based on 29 observations. Altitude information for each observation from British Oceanographic Data Centre. [back]