The Order Trochodendrales is further organized into finer groupings including:
- Family (2): Tetracentraceae · Trochodendraceae
- Species: ZipcodeZoo has pages for 7 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in the Order Trochodendrales.
Trees, evergreen, with vessel-less wood. Terminal bud at first enclosed by stipule, later free. Stipule adnate to petiole. Leaves simple, alternate on long, 1-year-old branchlets or single and subterminal on short, many-year-old branchlets, marked by crowded concentric scars from petiole bases and bud scales from former years; leaf blade palmately veined. Inflorescences catkinlike multiflowered spikes, borne near base of petiole at apex of short branchlets. Flowers bisexual, in whorls of 4 alternating on inflorescence, 4-merous. Sepals 4. Petals absent. Stamens 4, opposite sepals; anthers basifixed. Ovary superior; carpels 4, alternating with stamens, united at base, each 1-loculed; placenta 2 per locule, parallel along the locule ventral suture; ovules (5 or) 6, attached near placenta middle, horizontal at anthesis. Seeds with oily endosperm; embryo minute. [more]
Trees or shrubs, evergreen, with vessel-less wood. Reproductive shoots sympodial. Stipules absent. Leaves spirally arranged, pseudoverticillate, simple, petiolate; leaf blade pinnately veined. Inflorescences terminal racemes or panicles. Flowers bisexual, long-lived. Pedicel usually with 2--5 small bracteoles. Receptacle expanded. Perianth absent. Stamens 40--70, in several series. Carpels (4--) 6--17, in a single series, laterally fused; ovules 15--30 per carpel, in two rows along ventral suture of carpel. Fruit composed of laterally fused follicles, ventricidal and shortly loculicidal. Seeds basally and apically with winglike projections; endosperm oily; embryo minute. [more]
At least 7 species and subspecies belong to the Family Trochodendraceae.
More info about the Family Trochodendraceae may be found here.
- Kuan Ke-chien. 1979. Trochodendraceae. Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 27: 21--22.
- Bruce Bartholomew "Tetracentraceae". in Flora of China Vol. 6 Page 125. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org.
- Dezhi Fu & Peter K. Endress "Trochodendraceae". in Flora of China Vol. 6 Page 124. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org.
- Photographs on this page are copyrighted by individual photographers, and individual copyrights apply.
- The technology underlying this page, including the controls behind Keep Exploring, is owned by the BayScience Foundation. All rights are reserved.