Herbs perennial, rhizomatous, with several sheaths surrounding leaf bases. Rhizome subascending, thick, with creeping, long, slender stolons. Leaves several, basal, slightly tufted, petiolate, gradually narrowed to base, many veined. Scape axillary, suberect, naked. Inflor escence a terminal raceme; bracts submembranous. Flowers bisexual; pedicel articulate apically. Tepals 6, free. Stamens 6, inserted at base of tepals; filaments filiform; anthers versatile. Ovary ovoid-globose, 3-loculed; ovules 3 or 4 per locule. Style slender; stigma small. Fruit a berry.
The Genus Speirantha is further organized into finer groupings including:
- Species: ZipcodeZoo has pages for 3 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in the Genus Speirantha: S. convallarioides · S. gardeni · S. gardenii
- Liang Song-jun, Minoru N. Tamura "Speirantha". in Flora of China Vol. 24 Page 234. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org.
- The distribution map on the Distribution tab comes from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility and is used with permission.
- Photographs on this page are copyrighted by individual photographers, and individual copyrights apply.
- The technology underlying this page, including the controls behind Keep Exploring, is owned by the BayScience Foundation. All rights are reserved.