The Polygalaceae (syn. Diclidantheraceae, Moutabeaceae, Xanthophyllaceae) or Milkwort family is made up of flowering plants in the order Fabales. They have a near-cosmopolitan range, with about 17 genera and 900?1,000 species of herbs, shrubs and trees. Over half of the species are in one genus, Polygala, the milkworts.
Under the Cronquist classification system, the Polygalaceae was treated in a separate order of its own, the Polygalales. Currently, and according to the APG, it belongs to Fabales.
Media related to Polygalaceae at Wikimedia Commons
- "Polygalaceae". Integrated Taxonomic In formation System. http://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=29301.
The Order Polygalales is further organized into finer groupings including:
- Family (1): Xanthophyllaceae
- Species: ZipcodeZoo has pages for 41 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in the Order Polygalales.
More info about the Family Xanthophyllaceae may be found here.
- Photographs on this page are copyrighted by individual photographers, and individual copyrights apply.
- The technology underlying this page, including the controls behind Keep Exploring, is owned by the BayScience Foundation. All rights are reserved.