The Phylum Not Assigned is further organized into finer groupings including:
- Subphylum (2): Chlorophytina · Phaeista
- Infraphylum (2): Chrysista · Tetraphytae
- Superclass (1): Phaeistia
- Class (2): Not Assigned · Xanthophyceae
- Species: ZipcodeZoo has pages for 766 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in the Phylum Not Assigned.
Yellow-green algae or xanthophytes are an important group of heterokont algae. Most live in freshwater, but some are found in marine and soil habitats. They vary from single-celled flagellates to simple colonial and filamentous forms. Xanthophyte chloroplasts contain the photosynthetic pigments Chlorophyll a, Chlorophyll b, ?-Carotene, and the carotenoid . Unlike other heterokonts, their chloroplasts do not contain fucoxanthin, which accounts for their lighter color. Its storage polysaccharide is chrysolaminarin. Xanthophyte cell walls are produced of cellulose and hemicellulose. They appear to be the closest relatives of the brown algae. [more]
At least 558 species and subspecies belong to the Class Xanthophyceae.
More info about the Class Xanthophyceae may be found here.
- The text on this page is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
- Photographs on this page are copyrighted by individual photographers, and individual copyrights apply.
- The GMapImageCutter is used under license from the UCL Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis.
- The technology underlying this page, including the Image Browser and controls behind Keep Exploring, is owned by the BayScience Foundation. All rights are reserved.