Trees or shrubs, evergreen or semi-evergreen. Leaves alternate or rarely opposite, stipulate or not, petiolate, simple, pinnately veined. Inflorescence axillary or terminal, racemose, corymbose, paniculate, or sometimes fascicled or solitary flowers. Flowers bisexual or polygamous, 4- or 5-merous, actinomorphic, with or without bracts. Sepals 4 or 5, basally connate or free, usually valvate. Petals 4 or 5, sometimes absent, valvate or imbricate, margin laciniate or rarely entire. Stamens 8 to numerous; filaments free and borne on disks; anthers 2-celled, dehiscent by apical or longitudinal slits, awned or tipped with hairs at apices. Disk circular or glandularly lobed. Ovary superior, 2- to several loculed; placentation axile; ovules 2 to several per locule; style connate or free. Fruit a drupe or capsule. Seeds with copious endosperm; embryo flat.
The Family Elaeocarpaceae is further organized into finer groupings including:
- Subfamily (6): Cichorioideae · Nepetoideae · Rhododendroideae · Tabaninae · Theoideae · Violoideae
- Tribe (5): Elaeocarpeae · Mentheae · Rhododendreae · Sloaneae · Tremandreae
- Genus (41): Ablania · Aceratium · Acronodia · Acrozus · Adenobasium · Adenodus · Anoniodes · Antholoma · Aristotelia · Beaumaria · Beythea · Blondea · Cerea · Courimari · Craspedum · Crinodendron · Dasycarpus · Dasynema · Dicera · Dubouzetia · Ducosia · Echinocarpus · Elaeocarpus · Eriostemum · Forgetina · Friesia · Ganitrus · Lecostomon · Misipus · Monocera · Perinka · Peripentadenia · Phoenicospermum · Platytheca · Sericolea · Skidanthera · Sloanea · Tetratheca · Tremandra · Tricuspidaria · Vallea
- Species: ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1,586 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in the Family Elaeocarpaceae.
Aristotelia is a genus of moth in the family . [more]
Crinodendron is a botanic with 8 species of flowering plants belonging to the family Elaeocarpaceae. [more]
Elaeocarpus is a genus of tropical and subtropical evergreen trees and shrubs. The approximately 350 species are distributed from Madagascar in the west through India, Southeast Asia, Malaysia, southern China, and Japan, through Australia to New Zealand, Fiji, and Hawaii in the east. The islands of Borneo and New Guinea have the greatest concentration of species. These trees are well-known for their attractive, pearl-like fruit which are often colorful. [more]
There are 2 genera named Friesia, of different authority: [more]
Sloanea is a genus of plant in family Elaeocarpaceae. It contains the following species (but this list may be incomplete): [more]
Tetratheca is a genus of around 50 to 60 species of shrubs endemic to Australia. It is classified in the botanical family Elaeocarpaceae, now known to encompass the family Tremandraceae, which the genus originally belonged to. It occurs throughout extratropical Australia, and has been recorded in every mainland state except the Northern Territory. [more]
Vallea is a of plant in family Elaeocarpaceae. [more]
At least 10 species and subspecies belong to the Genus Vallea.
More info about the Genus Vallea may be found here.
- Chang Hung-ta. 1989. Elaeocarpaceae. In: Chang Hung-ta, ed., Fl. Reipubl. Popularis Sin. 49(1): 1-46.
- Ya Tang & Chamlong Phengklai "Elaeocarpaceae". in Flora of China Vol. 12 Page 223. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org.
- The text on this page is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
- The distribution map on the Distribution tab comes from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility and is used with permission.
- Photographs on this page are copyrighted by individual photographers, and individual copyrights apply.
- The GMapImageCutter is used under license from the UCL Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis.
- The technology underlying this page, including the Image Browser and controls behind Keep Exploring, is owned by the BayScience Foundation. All rights are reserved.