Herbs, rarely shrubs or subshrubs, perennial, epipetric or terrestrial, rhizomatous. Stems simple or branched. Leaves 2 to few, on stem, opposite, often crowded at stem apex, equal to strongly unequal in a pair; leaf blade puberulent to villous or glabrous, base cuneate to cordate. Inflorescences lax or dense, axillary, 1-10-flowered cymes; bracts 2 or apparently absent, opposite. Calyx actinomorphic, 5-sect from base to 5-lobed; segments equal. Corolla white to yellow, orange-red, purple, or blue-purple, zygomorphic, inside glabrous to sparsely glandular pubescent; tube narrowly cylindric to cylindric basally, ampliate above, not swollen, 4-5 X longer than limb, 0.6-1.5 cm in diam.; limb 2-lipped; adaxial lip 2-lobed, longer than to much shorter than abaxial lip; abaxial lip 3-lobed, lobes equal or subequal, apex rounded. Stamens 4, adnate to corolla tube near or above middle, included; anthers basifixed, coherent in pairs, thecae divergent, not confluent or confluent, dehiscing longitudinally; connective not projecting; staminode absent or 1, adnate to adaxial side of corolla tube. Disc ringlike. Ovary linear, 1-loculed; placentas 2, parietal, projecting inward, 2-cleft. Stigmas 2, equal or unequal, oblong to deltoid, undivided or 2-lobed. Capsule straight in relation to pedicel, linear to narrowly oblong, much longer than calyx, dehiscing loculicidally to base; valves 2, straight, not twisted. Seeds unappendaged.
The Genus Didissandra is further organized into finer groupings including:
- Species: ZipcodeZoo has pages for 45 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in the Genus Didissandra: D. agnesiac · D. aspera · D. atropurpurea · D. aurea · D. beauverdiana · D. begoniifolia · D. bullata · D. clarkei · D. cooperi · D. cordatula · D. delavayi · D. elegantissima · D. evrardii · D. flabellata · D. forrestii · D. frutescens · D. giraldii · D. glandulosa · D. grandis · D. humilis · D. kingiana · D. lanuginosa · D. leucantha · D. longifolia · D. longipedunculata · D. longipes · D. longisepala · D. macrosiphon · D. mengtzeana · D. mihieri · D. minor · D. montana · D. muscicola · D. notochlaena · D. ornata · D. rosthornii · D. rufa · D. saxatilis · D. sericea · D. sesquifolia · D. sinica · D. sinoophiorrhizoides · D. speciosa · D. taliensis · D. ternata
- Wencai Wang, Kai-yu Pan, Zhen-yu Li, Anna L. Weitzman & Laurence E. Skog "Didissandra". in Flora of China Vol. 18 Page 281. Published by Science Press (Beijing) and Missouri Botanical Garden Press. Online at EFloras.org.
- The distribution map on the Distribution tab comes from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility and is used with permission.
- Photographs on this page are copyrighted by individual photographers, and individual copyrights apply.
- The technology underlying this page, including the controls behind Keep Exploring, is owned by the BayScience Foundation. All rights are reserved.