Trees evergreen, large. Branchlets flattened, in fan-shaped flattened sprays. Leaves opposite in 4 ranks (although apparently in whorls of 4). Adult leaves dimorphic, appressed, overlapping, scalelike, lateral leaves overlapping facial leaves, free portion of long-shoot leaves to ca. 3 mm; abaxial glands present. Pollen cones with 6--8 pairs of sporophylls, each sporophyll with 4 pollen sacs. Seed cones maturing and opening first year, ellipsoid, 17--30 mm; scales persistent, (2--) 3 pairs, oblong and basifixed, thin and woody; proximal pair reduced, sterile, often reflexed or lacking; median pair fertile; distal pair connate, sterile. Seeds 2 per scale, lenticular, unequally 2-winged; cotyledons 2. x = 11.
Species 3: North America, Asia with 1 in Taiwan and 1 in s China and Myanmar.
The Genus Calocedrus is further organized into finer groupings including:
- Species: ZipcodeZoo has pages for 20 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in the Genus Calocedrus: C. decurrens (California Incense-Cedar) · C. decurrens 'Aureo-Variegata' (Incense-Cedar) · C. decurrens 'Aureovariegata' · C. decurrens 'Berrima Gold' (Incense-Cedar) · C. decurrens 'Compacta' · C. decurrens 'Depressa' · C. decurrens 'Glauca' · C. decurrens 'Intricata' · C. decurrens 'Maupin Glow' · C. decurrens 'Nana' · C. decurrens 'Pillar' · C. decurrens 'Riet' · C. decurrens (Torr.) Florin 'Columnaris' · C. decurrens (Torr.) Florin 'Horizontalis' · C. formosana (Taiwan Incense-Cedar) · C. formosona · C. macrolepis · C. macrolepis Kurz var. formosana (Florin) W.C.Cheng & L.K.Fu · C. macrolepis var. formosana · C. rupestris
- John W. Thieret "Calocedrus". in Flora of North America Vol. 2. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org.
- The distribution map on the Distribution tab comes from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility and is used with permission.
- Photographs on this page are copyrighted by individual photographers, and individual copyrights apply.
- The GMapImageCutter is used under license from the UCL Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis.
- The technology underlying this page, including the Image Browser and controls behind Keep Exploring, is owned by the BayScience Foundation. All rights are reserved.