The Tribe Borasseae is a member of the Subfamily Coryphoideae. Here is the complete "parentage" of Borasseae:
- Domain: Eukaryota
Whittaker & Margulis,1978 - eukaryotes
- Kingdom: Plantae
Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae
Cavalier-Smith, 1981 - Green Plants
- Phylum: Tracheophyta
Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subphylum: Euphyllophytina (Auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Tracheophyta Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae Cavalier-Smith, 1981 - Green Plants
- Kingdom: Plantae Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
The Tribe Borasseae is further organized into finer groupings including:
- Subtribe (2): Hyphaeninae · Lataniinae
- Genus (8): Bismarckia · Borassodendron · Borassus · Hyphaene · Latania · Lodoicea · Medemia · Satranala
- Species: ZipcodeZoo has pages for 105 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in the Tribe Borasseae.
Bismarckia is a monotypic genus of flowering plant in the palm family endemic to western and northern Madagascar where they grow in open grassland. The genus is named for the first chancellor of the German Empire Otto von Bismarck and the epithet for its only species, Bismarckia nobilis, comes from Latin for 'noble'. [more]
Borassodendron is a genus of in the Arecaceae family. It contains the following species: [more]
Borassus (Palmyra Palm) is a genus of six species of fan palms, native to tropical regions of Africa, Asia and New Guinea. They are tall palms, capable of growing up to 30 m high. The leaves are long, fan-shaped, 2 to 3 m in length. The flowers are small, in densely clustered spikes, followed by large, brown, roundish fruits. [more]
Hyphaene is a genus of eight species of palms which includes the Doum palm (H. thebaica). They are unusual among palms in having regular naturally branched trunks; most other palms are single-stemmed from the ground. [more]
Latania commonly known as Latan palm is a genus of flowering plant in the Arecaceae family. It contains the following species: [more]
The Coco de Mer (Lodoicea maldivica), the sole member of the genus Lodoicea, is a palm endemic to the islands of Praslin and Curieuse in the Seychelles. It formerly also was found on St Pierre, Chauve-Souris and Ile Ronde (Round Island, an islet near Praslin) in the Seychelles group, but has become extinct on these islands. The name of the genus, Lodoicea, is derived from Lodoicus, the Latinised form of Louis, in honour of King Louis XV of France. [more]
Medemia is a genus of in the Arecaceae family. It contains the following species: [more]
Satranala is a genus of in the Arecaceae family. It contains the following species: [more]
More info about the Genus Satranala may be found here.
- The text on this page is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
- Photographs on this page are copyrighted by individual photographers, and individual copyrights apply.
- The technology underlying this page, including the controls behind Keep Exploring, is owned by the BayScience Foundation. All rights are reserved.