A Family in the Kingdom Plantae.
The Family Aceraceae is a member of the Order Sapindales. Here is the complete "parentage" of Aceraceae:
- Domain: Eukaryota
Whittaker & Margulis,1978 - eukaryotes
- Kingdom: Plantae
Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae
Cavalier-Smith, 1981 - Green Plants
- Phylum: Tracheophyta Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
- Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae Cavalier-Smith, 1981 - Green Plants
- Kingdom: Plantae Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
The Family Aceraceae is further organized into finer groupings including:
- Subfamily (1): Hippocastanoideae
- Genus (8): Argentacer · Bolboschoenus · Dipteronia · Negundo · Rufacer · Rulac · Saccharodendron · Sacchrosphendamnus
- Species: ZipcodeZoo has pages for 42 species, subspecies, varieties, forms, and cultivars in the Family Aceraceae.
Herbs, perennial, cespitose or not, rhizomatous. Culms solitary or not, cormose at base [except eastern Asian Bolboschoenus planiculmis (F. Schmidt) T. V. Egerova], sharply trigonous. Leaves basal and cauline; sheaths tubular; ligules absent; blades flat or V-shaped in cross section, prominently keeled on abaxial surface, distally trigonous. Inflorescences terminal, subumbellate, subcorymbose, or capitate; spikelets to 80, mostly 4-10 mm diam.; involucral bracts surpassing inflorescence 1-5, spreading or proximal erect, leaflike. Spikelets: scales 25 or more, spirally arranged, each subtending flower, abaxially puberulent, often glabrescent, tip notched and awned. Flowers bisexual; perianth of 3-6 bristles, straight or curved, shorter to slightly longer than achene, retrorsely spinulose; stamens 3; styles linear, 2-3-fid, base persistent. Achenes biconvex to trigonous, 2.3-5.5 mm, smooth. [more]
Dipteronia is a genus of two living and one extinct species, regarded in the soapberry family Sapindaceae sensu lato after Angiosperm Phylogeny Group (APG I 1998, APG II 2003) and more recently (Harrington et al. 2005) )or traditionally by several authors in Aceraceae, related to the maples. [more]
More info about the Genus Sacchrosphendamnus may be found here.
- Beetle, A. A. 1942. Studies in the genus Scirpus L. IV. The section Bolboschoenus Palla. Amer. J. Bot. 29: 82-88.
- Browning, J. and K. D. Gordon-Gray. 1993. Studies in Cyperaceae in southern Africa: 21. The taxonomic significance of the achene and its embryo in Bolboschoenus. S. African J. Bot. 59: 311-318.
- Browning, J., K. D. Gordon-Gray, and S. G. Smith. 1995. Achene structure and taxonomy of North American Bolboschoenus (Cyperaceae). Brittonia 47: 433-445.
- S. Galen Smith "Bolboschoenus". in Flora of North America Vol. 23 Page 7, 37, 38. Oxford University Press. Online at EFloras.org.
- The text on this page is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
- The distribution map on the Distribution tab comes from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility and is used with permission.
- Photographs on this page are copyrighted by individual photographers, and individual copyrights apply.
- The GMapImageCutter is used under license from the UCL Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis.
- The technology underlying this page, including the Image Browser and controls behind Keep Exploring, is owned by the BayScience Foundation. All rights are reserved.