The Subfamily Striginae is a member of the Family Strigidae. Here is the complete "parentage" of Striginae:
- Domain: Eukaryota
Whittaker & Margulis,1978 - eukaryotes
- Kingdom: Animalia
C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
- Subkingdom: Bilateria
(Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983 - bilaterians
- Branch: Deuterostomia
Grobben, 1908 - Deuterostomes
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia
(Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Chordata
Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata
Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata
auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Superclass: Tetrapoda
Goodrich, 1930 - Tetrapods
- Class: Sauropsida
- Subclass: Avialae Gauthier, 1986
- Class: Sauropsida Linnaeus, 1758
- Superclass: Tetrapoda Goodrich, 1930 - Tetrapods
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia Grobben, 1908 - Deuterostomes
- Subkingdom: Bilateria (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983 - bilaterians
- Kingdom: Animalia C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
The Subfamily Striginae is further organized into finer groupings including:
- Tribe (1): Bombini
- Genus (14): Bubo · Ciccaba · Gymnoglaux · Jubula · Ketupa · Lophostrix · Mimizuku · Nyctea · Otus · Ptilopsis · Pulsatrix · Rhinoptynx · Scotopelia · Strix
- Species: ZipcodeZoo has pages for 574 species and subspecies in the Subfamily Striginae.
Ciccaba is a small genus of typical owls. It contains 4 species: [more]
The Bare-legged Owl or Cuban Screech Owl (Gymnoglaux lawrencii) is a species of owl in the Strigidae family that is endemic to Cuba. It belongs to the monotypic genus Gymnoglaux. Its natural habitats are dry forests, lowland moist forests, and heavily degraded former forest. It lives in the canopy of the forests where it does most of its foraging. [more]
Ketupa is a genus of owls in the Strigidae family. The genus should arguably be merged with Bubo.They are fishing owls. [more]
The Crested Owl (Lophostrix cristata) is a species of owl in the family Strigidae. It is the only species (monotypic), in the genus Lophostrix. [more]
The Giant Scops Owl, Lesser Eagle-Owl, or Mindanao Eagle-Owl (Mimizuku gurneyi) is a species of owl in the Strigidae family. Originally described as Pseudoptynx gurneyi, it is now a only species in the genus Mimizuku. [more]
The Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus) is a large owl of the typical owl family Strigidae. The Snowy Owl was first classified in 1758 by Carolus Linnaeus, the Swedish naturalist who developed binomial nomenclature to classify and organize plants and animals. The bird is also known in North America as the Arctic Owl, Great White Owl or Harfang. Until recently, it was regarded as the sole member of a distinct genus, as Nyctea scandiaca, but mtDNA cytochrome b sequence data (Olsen et al. 2002) shows that it is very closely related to the horned owls in the genus Bubo. The Snowy Owl is the official bird of Quebec. [more]
Ptilopsis is a genus of African owls. Its members are: [more]
Pulsatrix is a genus of in the Strigidae family. They are called spectacled owls because of their prominent facial pattern. [more]
Scotopelia is a genus of in the Strigidae family. It contains the following species: [more]
At least 142 species and subspecies belong to the Genus Strix.
More info about the Genus Strix may be found here.
- Linnaeus, Syst. Nat., ed. 10, 92; 1766, ed. 12, 131.
- The text on this page is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
- Photographs on this page are copyrighted by individual photographers, and individual copyrights apply.
- The technology underlying this page, including the controls behind Keep Exploring, is owned by the BayScience Foundation. All rights are reserved.