African Giant Squirrels ( Protoxerus) form a taxon of squirrels under the subfamily Sciurinae. They are only found in Africa.
There are two species of African giant squirrels:
- Slender-tailed Squirrel, Protoxerus aubinnii
- Forest Giant Squirrel or Stanger's Squirrel, Protoxerus stangeri
The Genus Protoxerus is further organized into finer groupings including:
- Species: ZipcodeZoo has pages for 5 species and subspecies in the Genus Protoxerus: P. aubinnii (Slender-Tailed Giant Squirrel) · P. stangeri (African Giant Squirrel) · P. stangeri centricola · P. stangeri mayensis · P. strangeri
- The distribution map on the Distribution tab comes from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility and is used with permission.
- Photographs on this page are copyrighted by individual photographers, and individual copyrights apply.
- The technology underlying this page, including the controls behind Keep Exploring, is owned by the BayScience Foundation. All rights are reserved.