The Family Mantellidae is a member of the Superfamily Rhacophoroidea. Here is the complete "parentage" of Mantellidae:
- Domain: Eukaryota
Whittaker & Margulis,1978 - eukaryotes
- Kingdom: Animalia
C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
- Subkingdom: Bilateria
(Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983 - bilaterians
- Branch: Deuterostomia
Grobben, 1908 - Deuterostomes
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia
(Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Phylum: Chordata
Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata
Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata
auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Superclass: Tetrapoda Goodrich, 1930 - Tetrapods
- Infraphylum: Gnathostomata auct. - Jawed Vertebrates
- Subphylum: Vertebrata Cuvier, 1812 - Vertebrates
- Phylum: Chordata Bateson, 1885 - Chordates
- Infrakingdom: Chordonia (Haeckel, 1874) Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Deuterostomia Grobben, 1908 - Deuterostomes
- Subkingdom: Bilateria (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983 - bilaterians
- Kingdom: Animalia C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
The Family Mantellidae is further organized into finer groupings including:
- Subfamily (3): Boophinae · Laliostominae · Mantellinae
- Genus (12): Aglyptodactylus · Blommersia · Boehmantis · Boophis · Gephyromantis · Guibemantis · Laliostoma · Mantella · Mantidactylus · Spinomantis · Tsingymantis · Wakea
- Species: ZipcodeZoo has pages for 276 species and subspecies in the Family Mantellidae.
Aglyptodactylus is a genus of frogs in the family Mantellidae. These frogs are endemic to Madagascar. [more]
Boophis is a frog genus in the family Mantellidae. Like other frogs of their family, they are small, toxic, arboreal, and colorful. They have adaptations simiar to the unrelated tree frogs. This genus can only be found on Madagascar and Mayotte Island (Comoros) and is the single member of the subfamily Boophinae. [more]
Laliostoma labrosum is a species of frog in the Mantellidae family. It is monotypic within the genus Laliostoma. It is endemic to Madagascar. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests, dry savanna, moist savanna, subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, subtropical or tropical dry lowland grassland, intermittent freshwater marshes, hot deserts, arable land, pastureland, rural gardens, urban areas, ponds, seasonally flooded agricultural land, and canals and ditches. [more]
Mantella (Golden Frogs) is a genus of in the family Mantellidae, endemic to Madagascar. These are small frogs some reaching 5 centimetres (2.0 in), with iridescent colors with combinations of black, blue, orange, yellow, and green which reflect the toxic nature of their skins. [more]
Mantidactylus is a genus in the family Mantellidae. These frogs live only in Madagascar and Mayotte[verification needed]. These frogs are usually less brightly colored than their relatives in Mantella. [more]
More info about the Genus Wakea may be found here.
- Richards CM, Moore WS, Molecular phylogenetics and evolution. 1996 Jun;5(3):522-32.
- The text on this page is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
- The distribution map on the Distribution tab comes from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility and is used with permission.
- Photographs on this page are copyrighted by individual photographers, and individual copyrights apply.
- The GMapImageCutter is used under license from the UCL Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis.
- The technology underlying this page, including the Image Browser and controls behind Keep Exploring, is owned by the BayScience Foundation. All rights are reserved.