The Family Lampyridae is a member of the Superfamily Cantharoidea. Here is the complete "parentage" of Lampyridae:
- Domain: Eukaryota
Whittaker & Margulis,1978 - eukaryotes
- Kingdom: Animalia
C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
- Subkingdom: Bilateria
(Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983 - bilaterians
- Branch: Protostomia
Grobben, 1908 - protostomes
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa
A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - ecdysozoans
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda
- Phylum: Arthropoda
Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Subphylum: Mandibulata
- Infraphylum: Atelocerata
- Superclass: Panhexapoda
- Class: Insecta C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Insects
- Superclass: Panhexapoda
- Infraphylum: Atelocerata Heymons, 1901
- Subphylum: Mandibulata Snodgrass, 1938
- Phylum: Arthropoda Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda Cuvier
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - ecdysozoans
- Branch: Protostomia Grobben, 1908 - protostomes
- Subkingdom: Bilateria (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983 - bilaterians
- Kingdom: Animalia C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
The Family Lampyridae is further organized into finer groupings including:
- Subfamily (2): Cryptocephalinae · Lamiinae
- Genus (37): Aspisoma · Atyphella · Bicellonycha · Brachylampis · Curtos · Cyphonocerus · Drilaster · Drilastinae · Ellychnia · Hotaria · Lamprohiza · Lamprorhiza · Lampyris · Lampyroidea · Lucidina · Lucidota · Luciola · Lychnuris · Micronaspis · Microphotus · Nyctophila · Paraphausis · Pelania · Phausis · Phosphaenopterus · Phosphaenus · Photinus · Photuris · Pleotomodes · Pleotomus · Pollaclasis · Pteropteryx · Pterotus · Pyractomena · Pyrocoelia · Pyropyga · Tenaspis
- Species: ZipcodeZoo has pages for 249 species and subspecies in the Family Lampyridae.
Lampyris is a genus of beetle in the firefly family (Lampyridae). In most of western Eurasia, they are the predominant fireflies. They produce a continuous glow.; the larvae and larviform females are among those organisms commonly called "glowworms". [more]
Luciola is a genus of "flashing" fireflies (family Lampyridae), especially well-known from Japan. They are often called "Japanese fireflies", but their members range farther into Asia and reach southern Europe (Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, among other countries) and Africa. This genus is traditionally held to extend to Australia, but these species do not seem to belong herein (see below for details). [more]
Phausis is a genus of firefly beetles (family Lampyridae). These beetles are for the most part unimpressive in their appearance and behaviour, and thus have not drawn much study, and little is known about many of the species. Species in this genus are at least known from Europe and North America. More than seven species occur in North America, ranging throughout much of the continent. [more]
More info about the Genus Tenaspis may be found here.
- The text on this page is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
- The distribution map on the Distribution tab comes from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility and is used with permission.
- Photographs on this page are copyrighted by individual photographers, and individual copyrights apply.
- The GMapImageCutter is used under license from the UCL Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis.
- The technology underlying this page, including the Image Browser and controls behind Keep Exploring, is owned by the BayScience Foundation. All rights are reserved.