The Order Cingulata is further organized into finer groupings including:
- Family (6): Dasypodidae · Glyptodontidae · Palaeopeltidae · Pampatheriidae · Peltephilidae · Protobradidae
- Species: ZipcodeZoo has pages for 101 species and subspecies in the Order Cingulata.
Armadillos are New World placental mammals with a leathery armor shell. The Dasypodidae are the only surviving family in the order Cingulata, part of the superorder Xenarthra, along with the anteaters and sloths. The word armadillo in Spanish means "little armored one". The Aztec called them azotochtli, Nahuatl for ?turtle-rabbit?. [more]
More info about the Family Protobradidae may be found here.
- The text on this page is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
- Photographs on this page are copyrighted by individual photographers, and individual copyrights apply.
- The GMapImageCutter is used under license from the UCL Centre for Advanced Spatial Analysis.
- The technology underlying this page, including the Image Browser and controls behind Keep Exploring, is owned by the BayScience Foundation. All rights are reserved.