Click on the language to view common names.
Common Names in English:
Giant Wood Wasp, Banded Horntail Sawfly, Pine Wood Wasp, Siricid Woodwasp, Yellow-Horned Horntail
Common Names in German:
Typically found at an altitude of 0 to 3,960 meters (0 to 12,992 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Latreille, 1829
- Snodgrass, 1938
- Heymons, 1901
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- Superorder: Hymenopterida ()
- Infraclass: Pterygota ()
- Subclass: Dicondylia ()
- Class: Insecta () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - Insects
- Epiclass: Hexapoda ()
- Superclass: Panhexapoda ()
- Infraphylum: Atelocerata () - Heymons, 1901
- Subphylum: Mandibulata () - Snodgrass, 1938
- Phylum: Arthropoda () - Latreille, 1829 - Arthropods
- Superphylum: Panarthropoda () - Cuvier
- Infrakingdom: Ecdysozoa () - A.M.A. Aguinaldo et al., 1997 ex T. Cavalier-Smith, 1998
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Members of the genus Urocerus
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 5 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A report on the insects of Massachusetts, injurious to vegetation. Published agreeably to an order of the Legislature, by the Commissioners on the Zoological and Botanical Survey of the State. Cambridge, Folsom, Wells, and Thurston, printers to the University, 1841. url p. 388, p. 388.
- A treatise on some of the insects injurious to vegetation / Boston: William White, printer to the state, 1862 url , .
- A treatise on some of the insects of New England, which are injurious to vegetation. By ThaddeusWilliam Harris, M.D. Cambridge, J. Owen, 1842. url p. 388.
- An encyclopædia of agriculture: comprising the theory and practice of the valuation, transfer, laying out, improvement, and management of landed property; and the cultivation and economy of the animal and vegetable productions of ag By J. C. Loudon. London, Printed for Longman, Rees, Orme, Brown, and Green, 1831. url p. 1117.
- An introduction to the modern classification of insects; founded on the natural habits and corresponding organisation of the different families. By J. O. Westwood. London, Longman, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1839-1840. url p. 115.
- Annual report of the Trustees of the State Museum of Natural History for the year. .. Albany, N.Y.: The Trustees, 1886-1889. url p. 215, p. 354.
- British journal of entomology and natural history. [London]: British Entomological and Natural History Society, 1988- url , , p. 184, p. 25, p. 28.
- Catalog of hymenoptera in America north of Mexico / prepared cooperatively by specialists on the various groups of Hymenoptera under the direction of Karl V. Krombein. .. [et al.]. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1979- url p. 1046.
- Elements of entomology: an outline of the natural history and classification of British insects. By William S. Dallas, F.L.S. London, J. van Voorst,  url p. 233, p. 233.
- Entomological news. [Philadelphia]American Entomological Society, 1925- url p. 218, p. 265.
- Half-hours in the green lanes: a book for a country stroll / by J. E. Taylor. London: W. H. Allen & Company, 1898. url p. 199.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 181, p. 192, p. 245, p. 290.
- Iconographic encyclopaedia of science, literature, and art. systematically arranged by J.G. Heck. Translated from the German, with additions, and edited by Spencer F. Baird. .. illustrated by five hundred steel plates, containing upwards to twelve thousand en New York, R. Garrigue, 1851. url p. 14, p. 171.
- Illustrated natural history / by J.G. Wood; with new illustrations by Wolf, Zwecker, Weir, Coleman, Harvey and others; engraved by the Brothers Dalziel. New York: Home Bk. Co., [188-?] url p. 495.
- List of intercepted plant pests / United States Department of Agriculture, Plant Quarantine and Control Administration. [Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O.], 1932- url p. 111, p. 114, p. 135, p. 135, p. 156, p. 158, p. 159, p. 170, p. 176, p. 183, p. 219, p. 270, p. 342, p. 350, p. 353, p. 429, p. 82, p. 88.
- Outlines of general zoology. New York [N.Y.]: Rudolph Garrigue, 1851. url , .
- Proceedings and transactions of the South London Entomological & Natural History Society. London: The Society. url p. 12, p. 52, p. 62.
- Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington. Washington, etc.: Entomological Society of Washington url p. 185, p. 190, p. 191.
- Report of the State Entomologist on injurious and other insects of the state of New York. Albany: Weed, Parsons and Co.; University of the State of New York, 1882- url p. 234.
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url , p. 240, p. 240, p. 345, p. 345, p. 5, p. 504, p. 504, p. 534, p. 534, p. 536.
- The Canadian naturalist and geologist. Montreal: B. Dawson, 1856-1868. url p. 79.
- The Entomologist's record and journal of variation. s.l., s.n. url , , , p. 142, p. 144, p. 244, p. 327.
- The history of Harting, by the Rev. H.D. Gordon. With a chapter on the geology of the district, by the late Sir Roderick Impey Murchison, and some notice of its fauna and flora, by J. Weaver. London: Printed for the authors by W. Davy, 1877. url p. 372.
- The natural history of the USSR / Algirdas Knystautas; foreword by Vladimir Flint; [translation, John S. Scott]. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1987. url p. 96.
- Transactions of the Entomological Society of London. London, The Society. url p. 126, p. 134.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 16, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal December 08, 2007:
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- European Environment Agency, EUNIS
- Illinois Natural History Survey, Illinois Natural History Survey
- Ohio State University Insect Collection, Insects
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Highland Biological Recording Group - HBRG Hymenoptera dataset
- Zoologisches Forschungsinstitut und Museum Alexander Koenig, ZFMK Hymenoptera collection
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 5972501
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 4490920
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 638307