Coppers are members of the Family Lycaenidae. They are found in sunny, open habitats throughout the temperate zone, with 50 species found in Eurasia and North America. One isolated species lives on volcanoes in Guatemala, and a few species live in New Guinea, New Zealand, and northern Africa. No species are known migrants, but several are local colonists . Coppers typically have upper wing surfaces that are iridescent purple or red-orange, but some North American species are blue, brown, or gray. Males perch and interact with other males while awaiting receptive females. Most species have a single brood and overwinter as eggs or as first instar caterpillars within the egg. The caterpillars feed on leaves of host plants , which in North America are docks, knotweeds, buckwheats, cinquefoils, gooseberries, currants, or redberry.
Name Status: Accepted Name .
Members of the genus Udara
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 1 species and subspecies in this genus:
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- LepIndex: The Global Lepidoptera Names Index. Release date: June 15, 2005
- Ruggiero M., Gordon D., Bailly N., Kirk P., Nicolson D. (2011). The Catalogue of Life Taxonomic Classification, Edition 2, Part A. In: Species 2000 & ITIS Catalogue of Life: 2011 Annual Checklist (Bisby F.A., Roskov Y.R., Orrell T.M., Nicolson D., Paglinawan L.E., Bailly N., Kirk P.M., Bourgoin T., Baillargeon G., Ouvrard D., eds). DVD; Species 2000: Reading, UK.
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 6796133
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: Lep-206616.0
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 1612139
- http://bugguide.net/index.php?q=search&keys=Arota&search=Search [back]