Common Names in English:
Typically found in the intertidal zone at the water's edge at a mean distance from sea level of -7 meters (-24 feet).
- Whittaker & Margulis,1978
- C. Linnaeus, 1758
- (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Grobben, 1908
- (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795
- Cuvier, 1795
- Snails and Slugs
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Cox, 1960
- Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- P. Fischer, 1884
- Infraorder: Discopoda ()
- Suborder: Discopoda () - P. Fischer, 1884
- Order: Sorbeoconcha () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1997
- Superorder: Caenogastropoda () - Cox, 1960
- Subclass: Orthogastropoda () - Ponder & Lindberg, 1996
- Class: Gastropoda () - Cuvier, 1795 - Snails and Slugs
- Phylum: Mollusca () - (C. Linnaeus, 1758) Cuvier, 1795 - Molluscs
- Superphylum: Eutrochozoa ()
- Infrakingdom: Lophotrochozoa ()
- Branch: Protostomia () - Grobben, 1908
- Subkingdom: Bilateria () - (Hatschek, 1888) Cavalier-Smith, 1983
- Kingdom: Animalia () - C. Linnaeus, 1758 - animals
Status: Accepted Name
Last scrutiny: 24-Jun-1996
Members of the genus Turritella
ZipcodeZoo has pages for 6 species and subspecies in this genus:
T. acropora (Boring Turretsnail) · T. communis (Common Turret-Shell) · T. cooperi (Symmetrical Turretsnail) · T. exoleta (Eastern Turretsnail) · T. orthosymmetrica (Symmetrical Turretsnail) · T. variegata (Variegate Turretsnail)
- Search for Pictures: images.google.com
- Search for Scholarly Articles: Google Scholar
- Search using Scientific Name and Vernacular Names: All the Web | AltaVista Canada | AltaVista | Excite | Google | HotBot | Lycos
- Search using Specialized Databases: GenBank | Medline | Scirus | CISTI/CAL | Agricola Periodicals | Agricola Books
- A catalogue of the shells of Great Britain and Ireland with their synonyms and authorities. Weymouth, R. Damon, 1857. url p. 7.
- A guide to the natural history of the Isle of Wight: a series of contributions by specialists relating to the various branches of natural history and kindred subjects / edited by Frank Morey. Newport, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1909. url p. 266.
- A guide to the shell and starfish galleries (Mollusca, Polyzoa, Brachiopoda, Tunicata, Echinoderma, and worms), Department of zoology, British museum (Natural history). London, Printed by order of the Trustees [by W. Clowes and sons, limited]1908. url p. 17.
- A history of British Mollusca and their shells / by Edward Forbes and Sylvanus Hanley. London: John Van Voorst, 1853. url , , , , , p. 176, p. 176, p. 271, p. 271, p. 296, p. 296, p. 482.
- A history of the British hydroid zoophytes. By Thomas Hincks. London, J. Van Voorst, 1868. url p. 27, p. 92, p. 96.
- A history of the British marine testaceous mollusca, distributed in their natural order on the basis of the organization of the animals, with references and notes on every British species. London, J. Van Voorst, 1855. url p. 518.
- A manual of marine zoology for the British Isles / by Philip Henry Gosse London: J. Van Voorst, 1855-1856 url p. 122, p. 228.
- A manual of the Mollusca: a treatise on recent and fossil shells / by Dr. S. P. Woodward; with an appendix of recent and fossil conchological discoveries to the present time, by Ralph Tate; illustrated by A. N. Waterhouse and Joseph Wilson Lowry. London: Virtue & Co., 1868. url p. 63.
- A manual of the Mollusca: being a treatise on recent and fossil shells. London: C. Lockwood and Co., 1880. url p. 63.
- A manual of the Mollusca: or, A rudimentary treatise of recent and fossil shells / by S. P. Woodward; illustrated by A. N. Waterhouse and Joseph Wilson Lowry. London, J. Weale, 1851-56. url p. 360.
- A monograph of the British Palaeozoic Asterozoa London, Printed for the Palaeontographical Society, 1913 [i.e. 1914]-1965. url , , , , , .
- A monograph of the Crag Mollusca: with descriptions of shells from the upper Tertiaries of the British Isles / by Searles V. Wood. London: Printed for the Palæontographical society, 1848-82. url , p. 74, p. 76.
- A monograph of the Crag Mollusca; with descriptipns of shells from the upper Tertiaries of the British Isles, by Searles V. Wood. London, Printed for the Palaeontographical Society, 1848-1882. url , p. 76.
- A monograph of the Crag mollusca; or, Descriptions of shells from the middle and upper Tertiaries of the east of England / by Searles V. Wood. London, Palaeontographical Society, 1848-1874. url , p. 199, p. 76.
- A monograph of the gymnoblastic or tubularian hydroids / by George James Allman. London: Published for the Ray Society by R. Hardwicke, 1871-1872. url .
- Anatomischer Anzeiger. Jena: G. Fischer, 1886- url , p. 145, p. 151, p. 156, p. 200, p. 221, p. 58.
- Animal life by the sea-shore, London, "Country life, " ltd. [etc.]; url .
- Annual report of the Regents / Albany: J.B. Lyon, State Printer, 1890-1903. url p. 69.
- Annual report of the regents of the university of the state of New York on the condition of the State Cabinet of Natural History and the historical and antiquarian collection annexed thereto. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 103.
- Annual report on the New York State Museum of Natural History. Albany, Regents of the University of the State of New York. url p. 44.
- Annual reports and proceedings of the Belfast Naturalists' Field Club. url p. 362.
- British conchology, or, An account of the Mollusca which now inhabit the British Isles and the surrounding seas / by John Gwyn Jeffreys. London: John Van Voorst, 1862-1869. url p. 82.
- British conchology: or, an account of the Mollusca which now inhabit the British Isles and the surrounding seas / by John Gwyn Jeffreys. London: J. Van Voorst, 1862-69. url p. 80, p. 82.
- British conchology; or, An account of the Mollusca which now inhabit the British Isles and the surrounding seas, by John Gwyn Jeffreys. London, J. Van Voorst, 1862-69. url p. 82.
- Bulletin of the British Museum (Natural History). London: BM(NH) url p. 278.
- Bulletins of American paleontology. 68 1976 Ithaca, N.Y., Paleontological Research Institution [etc.] url p. 181.
- By the deep sea. A popular introduction to the wild life of the British shores, by Edward Step; with 122 illustrations by P.H. Gosse [and others] London, Jarrold & Sons, 1896. url , .
- Carotenoids, by Paul Karrer and Ernst Jucker. Translated and rev. by Ernest A. Braude. New York, Elsevier Pub. Co., 1950. url p. 375.
- Cassell's natural history. Ed. by P. Martin Duncan. .. London [etc]Cassell & Company, Limited, 1891-96. url p. 411.
- Conchologia iconica, or, Illustrations of the shells of molluscous animals / by Lovell Augustus Reeve. London: Reeve, Brothers, 1843-1878. url p. 248.
- Fauna, flora & geology of the Clyde area, ed. by G.F. Scott Elliot, Malcolm Laurie and J. Barclay Murdoch. Glasgow, Pub. by the local committee for the meeting of the British Association, 1901. url p. 203.
- Geological magazine. London [etc.]Cambridge University Press. url p. 107, p. 109, p. 11, p. 115, p. 12, p. 14, p. 143, p. 15, p. 194, p. 238, p. 25, p. 282, p. 297, p. 311, p. 403, p. 404, p. 41, p. 430, p. 53, p. 548, p. 551, p. 566, p. 568.
- Geology of Clydesdale and Arran: embracing also the marine zoology and the flora of Arran, with complete list of species, notes on the rarer insects of Arran, and notices of its scenery and antiquities / by James Bryce. London: R. Griffin, 1859. url p. 194.
- Guide to the Mollusca exhibited in the Zoological Department, British Museum (Natural History) [Prepared by G.C. Robson] LondonPrinted by order of the Trustees of the British Museum, sold at the British Museum (Natural History)1923 url p. 27.
- Guide to the shell and starfish galleries (Mollusca, Echinodermata, Vermes) in the Department of Zoology of the British Museum (Natural History) [London]: Printed by order of the Trustees, 1888. url p. 21, p. 74.
- Guide to the systematic distribution of Mollusca in the British museum. London, Printed by order of the trustees, 1857. url .
- Half-hours at the sea-side; or, Recreations with marine objects, by Dr. J. E. Taylor. London, R. Hardwicke, 1872. url p. 192.
- Handbook for Southport: medical and general, with copious notices of the natural history of the district / edited by Edward Day McNicoll. Southport [Eng.]: R. Johnson, 1883. url p. 127.
- Hardwicke's science-gossip: an illustrated medium of interchange and gossip for students and lovers of nature. London: Robert Hardwicke, 1866- url p. 284, p. 4, p. 96.
- International catalogue of scientific literature. LondonPublished for the International Council by the Royal Society of London1901-1920 url p. 110, p. 44.
- Ipsa Linnaei conchylia. The shells of Linnaeus, determined from his manuscripts and collection. By Sylvanus Hanley. .. Also, an exact reprint of the Vermes Testacea of the "Systema naturae" and "Mantissa." London, Williams and Norgate, 1855. url p. 349.
- Journal of conchology. London: D. Bogue. url p. 149, p. 162, p. 165, p. 167, p. 211, p. 222, p. 245, p. 270, p. 367, p. 40, p. 84, p. 99.
- Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge University Press [etc.] url p. 170, p. 179, p. 180, p. 211, p. 274, p. 370, p. 379, p. 402, p. 410, p. 416, p. 420, p. 422, p. 430, p. 447, p. 507, p. 508, p. 508, p. 516, p. 546, p. 549, p. 552, p. 554, p. 555, p. 556, p. 558, p. 559, p. 676.
- Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall. Truro, Eng., Workers of Cornwall Ltd. url p. 70.
- Journal of the Royal Microscopical Society. Oxford [etc.]Royal Microscopical Society. url , , , p. 263, p. 427.
- Journal of the proceedings of the Linnean Society. London: The Society, 1857-1864. url p. 174.
- Last report on dredging among the Shetland Isles. .. S.l.s.n.1868 url p. 324.
- Life by the seashore: an introduction to natural history / by Marion Newbigin London: Swan Sonnenschein, 1910 url p. 344.
- Manual of conchology, structural and systematic: with illustrations of the species / by George W. Tryon, Jr. Philadelphia: Published by the Author, Academy of Natural Sciences, 1879-1898. url p. 231, p. 231, p. 231, p. 238, p. 238, p. 238, p. 241, p. 241, p. 441, p. 441, p. 441.
- Marine zoology. London, Archibald Constable & Company Limited1905? url p. 100.
- Memoirs of the Literary and Philosophical Society of Manchester. Manchester: The Society, 1785-1879. url p. 60, p. 65.
- Memoirs of the Science Department, University of Tokio, Japan. Tokio: Tokio Daigaku, 1879-1885. url p. 75, p. 79.
- Mollusca testacea marium britannicorum: a history of the British marine testaceous Mollusca distributed in their natural order, on the basis of the organization of the animals: with references and notes on every British species / by William Clark London: J. Van Voorst, 1855 url p. 518.
- Monitore zoologico italiano. [Siena]: Instituto anatomico della R. Università di Siena, [1890-1988] url p. 162.
- Monograph of the Palaeontographical Society. London: Printed for the Palaeontographical Society, [1847?- url , , , , , .
- Natural science. London: Macmillan & Co., [1892-1899] url p. 219.
- Natural science: a monthly review of scientific progress. London [etc.]: Macmillan and Company [etc.], [1892-1899] url p. 219.
- Our common British fossils and where to find them: a handbook for students / by J.E. Taylor. London: Chatto and Windus, 1885. url p. 292.
- Our common British fossils, and where to find them; a handbook for students, by J. E. Taylor. London: Chatto, 1885. url p. 292.
- Palaeontographica Americana. 1996 Ithaca, N.Y.: Paleontological Research Institution, url p. 92.
- "Pola" expedition: Mollusks. [5 works on mollusks resulting from investigations on voyages of the S.M. Schiff "Pola", 1890-1898] Wien, K.K. Hof- und Staatsdruckerei, 1896-1903. url p. 28.
- Popular British conchology. A familiar history of the molluscs inhabiting the British Isles. By George Brettingham Sowerby. London:Lovell Reeve, 1854. url .
- Prehistoric Europe: a geological sketch / London: Edward Stanford, 1881. url p. 434, p. 590.
- Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society, Mathematical and physical sciences. Cambridge [etc.]Cambridge Philosophical Society. url p. 218.
- Proceedings of the Linnean Society of New South Wales. Sydney, Linnean Society of New South Wales. url p. 177.
- Proceedings of the Malacological Society of London. London, Dulau. url , , , , p. 13, p. 178, p. 271, p. 45, p. 56, p. 58, p. 59, p. 61, p. 63, p. 65.
- Proceedings of the Natural History Society of Glasgow. Glasgow, Natural History Society of Glasgow. url p. 26, p. 29.
- Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy. Dublin: Royal Irish Academy, 1841- url p. 16, p. 17, p. 35, p. 537, p. 56.
- Proceedings of the Royal Physical Society of Edinburgh. Edinburgh: The Society, 1858-1955 url p. 301, p. 340.
- Proceedings of the Zoological Society of London. London: Academic Press, [etc.], 1833-1965. url p. 131, p. 644, p. 644.
- Reliquiae aquitanicae: being contributions to the archaeology and palaeontology of Pèrigord and the adjoining provinces of Southern France / ed. by Thomas Rupert Jones, 1865-75. London: Williams, 1875. url p. 204, p. 70, p. 92.
- Revue méthodique et critique des collections déposées dans cet établissement. Leyden, Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie. url p. 242.
- Sea and inland fisheries: report. DublinStationery Off. url p. 17, p. 65, p. 74, p. 89.
- Text-book of zoology for schools and colleges / by H. Alleyne Nicholson. New York: D. Appleton, 1872, c1871. url .
- The Annals and magazine of natural history; zoology, botany, and geology being a continuation of the Annals combined with Loudon and Charlesworth's Magazine of Natural History. London, Taylor and Francis, Ltd. url p. 11, p. 160, p. 160, p. 162, p. 162, p. 184, p. 208, p. 232, p. 232, p. 268, p. 268, p. 270, p. 284, p. 313, p. 313, p. 50, p. 50, p. 79.
- The Biological bulletin. Woods Hole, Mass.: Marine Biological Laboratory, url p. 111, p. 178, p. 181, p. 243, p. 320, p. 356, p. 488.
- The Cambridge natural history, ed. by S.F. Harmer. .. and A.E. Shipley. .. London, The Macmillan, Company, 1895-1909 url p. 78, p. 78.
- The Canadian naturalist and quarterly journal of science: with proceedings of the Natural History Society of Montreal. Montreal: Dawson, 1869-1883. url p. 88.
- The Edinburgh new philosophical journal. Edinburgh: A. and C. Black [etc.] url p. 211, p. 227.
- The Irish naturalist. Dublin: Eason & Son, Ltd., 1892- url , p. 111, p. 118, p. 4, p. 5.
- The Journal of malacology. 7 1900 London: Dulau & Co., 1894- url p. 175.
- The Journal of the College of Science, Imperial University of Tokyo, Japan = Tokyo Teikoku Daigaku kiyo. Rika. Tokyo, Japan: The University, 1898-1925. url p. 6.
- The Mollusca of Dorsetshire (marine, estuarine, freshwater, and land) and the Brachiopoda. Dorchester [Eng.]"Dorset County Chronicle" Print. Works, 1898. url .
- The Mollusca of Dorsetshire: (marine, estuarine, freshwater, and land) and the Brachiopoda / By John Clavell Mansel-Pleydell. Dorchester: "Dorset county chronicle" printing works, 1898. url p. 39.
- The Mollusca of the Firth of Clyde, being a catalogue of recent marine species found in that estuary. By Alfred Brown. .. Glasgow, Hugh Hopkins, 1878. url p. 70.
- The Naturalist. 1895 [Doncaster: Yorkshire Naturalists' Union], 1874- url p. 197.
- The Nautilus. Melbourne, Fla., etc., American Malacologists, inc., etc. url , p. 132.
- The Quarterly journal of science. London: J. Churchill and Sons, etc., 1864-1879. url p. 332.
- The Quarterly journal of the Geological Society of London. London [etc.] url p. 14, p. 160, p. 167, p. 181, p. 194, p. 196, p. 22, p. 23, p. 24, p. 317, p. 332, p. 337, p. 338, p. 343, p. 344, p. 345, p. 346, p. 415, p. 450, p. 455, p. 458, p. 473, p. 545, p. 8, p. 9, p. 9, p. 99.
- The Tanganyika problem; an account of the researches undertaken concerning the existence of marine animals in Central Africa, by J.E.S. Moore. .. London, Hurst and Blackett, limited, 1903. url p. 270, p. 270, p. 272.
- The Victoria history of the county of Kent; ed. by William Page. London, Constable, 1908- url p. 97.
- The biology of marine animals. New York, Interscience Publishers url p. 253.
- The fisheries of the Adriatic and the fish thereof: a report of the Austro-Hungarian sea-fisheries, with a detailed description of the marine fauna of the Adriatic Gulf / by G. L. Faber; with eighteen woodcut illustrations after drawings by Leo Littrow, and numerous engravings on stone. London: B. Quaritch, 1883. url p. 146, p. 244, p. 269, p. 279, p. 283.
- The genera of recent Mollusca: arranged according to their organization. By Henry Adams...and Arthur Adams. LondonJ. Van Voorst, 1858. url p. 38.
- The geological evidences of the antiquity of man: with remarks on theories of the origin of species by variation / by Sir Charles Lyell London: J. Murray, 1863 url p. 270.
- The geology of Arran and the other Clyde islands with an account of the botany, natural history, and antiquities, notices of the scenery and an itinerary of the routes, by James Bryce. .. GlasgowW. Collins, sons, and company, 1872. url p. 227, p. 281, p. 46.
- The illustrated natural history / by J.G. Wood; with new designs by Wolf, Zwecker, Weir, Coleman, Harvey, etc. etc.; engraved by the brothers Dalziel. London: G. Routledge, [188-?] url p. 391.
- The international bibliography of electron microscopy. New York[1959-1962] url p. 168.
- The mollusca of Somerset; land, freshwater, estuarine and marine, by E.W. Swanton. Taunton, Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, 1912 [i.e. 1911-12] url p. 76.
- The natural history of Ireland. London: Reeve, Benham and Reeve, 1849-56. url .
- The naturalist. London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1865- url p. 302, p. 366, p. 409, p. 57.
- The physical geology and geography of Great Britain: a manual of British geology / London, E. Stanford, 1878. url p. 417.
- The post-Tertiary deposits of Cambridgeshire: being the Sedgwick prize essay for 1876 / by A. J. Jukes-Browne. Cambridge: Deighton, Bell; 1878. url p. 59, p. 60.
- The sea shore, by W.S. Furneaux. .. With eight plates in colour and over three hundred illustrations in the text. London, Longmans, Green and Co., 1922. url p. 244, p. 245, p. xv.
- The student's handbook of stratigraphical geology. London, E. Stanford, 1912. url p. 591, p. 631.
- Transactions of the Tyneside Naturalists' Field Club. Newcastle-upon-Tyne: F. & W. Dodsworth, 1850-1864. url p. 182, p. 231, p. 256, p. 79.
- Tulane studies in zoology. 9 1961 New Orleans: Tulane University, 1953-1968. url p. 66, p. 71.
- Type specimens of marine mollusca described by P. P. Carpenter from the west coast (San Diego to British Columbia) [New York, Geological Society of America]1958. url p. 168.
- Zoologist. London.1843-1916 url p. 23, p. 23, p. 380, p. 7210, p. 7210.
- Brands, S.J. (comp.) 1989-present. The Taxonomicon. Universal Taxonomic Services, Zwaag, The Netherlands. Accessed January 15, 2012.
Accessed through GBIF Data Portal November 18, 2007:
- Academy of Natural Sciences, Academy of Natural Sciences Malacology Database
- Biologiezentrum der Oberoesterreichischen Landesmuseen, Biologiezentrum Linz
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, A comparison of benthic biodiversity in the North Sea, English Channel and Celtic Seas
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, BioMar
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Historical quantitative benthos grab samples from the Southern Baltic Sea
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Histroical benthic dredge samples from the southern baltic and the North Sea
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, MedOBIS
- Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences, Rutgers University, Taxonomic Information Sytem for the Belgian coastal area
- Marine Science Institute, UCSB, Paleobiology Database
- NLBIF, Zoological Museum Amsterdam - Noordzee
- The Danish Biodiversity Information Facility, Marine Benthic Fauna List, Læsø, Denmark
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Bugs
- The Swedish Museum of Natural History
- , Invertebrates
- UK National Biodiversity Network, Conchological Society of Great Britain & Ireland - Mollusc
- data for Great Britain and Ireland
- Biodiversity Heritage Library NamebankID: 501076
- Catalogue of Life Accepted Name Code: ITS-71309
- Global Biodiversity Information Facility Taxonkey: 2279155
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) Taxonomic Serial Number (TSN): 71309
- Zipcode Zoo Species Identifier: 506926